~~The August Pagan Parents Party ~~ - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 169 Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsFox View Post

I'm glad your agent is working for you.  I'm really rooting for you to get your house sold asap!

We finally found an agent who's willing to work hard for us, too.  The fifth one I spoke to turned out to be the right one.  So we're searching hard for the right place, and even changed our location = to Maine.  Yup, it looks like I'm going back "home".  I haven't lived there since 2005, but it feels...right.  And the land is super cheap and plentiful.

Unschoolmama, do you need to stay where you are, or would you consider moving to buy land?  Because Maine is a great place to homestead.

YAY! We had a showing scheduled yesterday, but they canceled at the last minute because of a bad bee sting. They cancelled all their afternoon showings. But will probably reschedule thumb.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#152 of 169 Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Maia yay!  And Millie huzzah!  And Max w00t!

Seems like the universe is swinging back towards our intentions again.... it's been a rough passage for so many.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#153 of 169 Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM

I hope everyone is faring well in the face of this wild storm!!!

ktg & redveg: THANK YOU for the insight on gardening.  In the past we have used grassclippings as a kind of "mulch" and had much less invasive weeds than we had this year.  I was totally lazy in the weeding department this year and I know that is why many of our crops were crap. 

ktg, some of the items you mentioned in your soil conditioning I throw in my compost all the time (egg shells, banana peels, coffee grounds).  I was never sure if the eggshells were helpful so I'm glad to hear that they are!  :)  What do epsom salts do? 

My tomatoes did horribly this year, too, redveg.  Well, the ones in mygarden.  I had thrown rotten ones in my compost bin last year and they took off and did AMAZINGLY in the bin this year. hahaha.  At the beginning my husband was like "you want me to pull those" but I figured I'd see how they did.  Of course, I have to share with the little chipmunk who lives next to the compost bin but there seems to be enough to go around! 

Maia, how was the visit with your mom?  Did M get blitzed by this storm?? ...I hope the bee sting family is (a) okay and (b) really excited about your house when they come to see it!  I went back and looked at it again and it is cute.  Is it surrounded by trees?  Don't get excited, I'm not leaving Upstate NY!!  haha. 

MaxsFox:  I am SO excited for you that you've chosen to look for land in a location that feels so right.  What a fun adventure!  

Many, many happy, HEALTHY, peaceful, and drying out vibes for everyone.  blowkiss.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#154 of 169 Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia yay! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia, how was the visit with your mom?  Did M get blitzed by this storm?? ...I hope the bee sting family is (a) okay and (b) really excited about your house when they come to see it!  I went back and looked at it again and it is cute.  Is it surrounded by trees?  Don't get excited, I'm not leaving Upstate NY!!  haha.

Thanks, y'all!

Mom is still here. She's thinking of trying to leave tomorrow, but maybe stay overnight somewhere on the way, again. That would hopefully put her past flood places by a day!

M had half a day of very bad wind (40mph) and bands of rain, and part of a dead tree came down over the garage by his house, but otherwise fine. Thank you for asking! I hope so, too, about the bee sting family.

My house has no big trees by the house, but I have a corner of property with plenty of them, and some by the road (in fact, I get worried about the walnut bonking someone's windshield, and me being held liable, as it's over the road), and there's a pine woods that isn't mine, but is available to hang around in, behind my house. There's a ton of gardening area. I know, isn't it cute? Someone has got to fall in love with it.

4 days till I see M heartbeat.gif He's going to work extra, Monday through Wednesday, so he can cut short his worktime to be with me love.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#155 of 169 Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 AM

Maia - congrats on the almost showing! Finally!

Wombat - I hope your post means things are looking up for you?

Millie - that sucks about child support, but I'm glad that you can continue your educational plans for your kids.

Kali - Hope it isn't an infection! Keep us updated.

Unschool - I hear you on land. I just don't know how we are going to make it work with no money and a husband who needs to be working a union trade job for the next seven years or we'll have to pay back a shitload of money for his education...but we're young and it's my dream...

Aeress - I could write that post. I have a bunch of basil waiting to go! I've heard it freezes well if you don't add the cheese?

So, I had my daughter in a home-based, parent-taught preschool co-op. Then our car got stolen. I'm kind of meh about it, but my daughter loves it. I really want to homeschool for kindy, but I suspect that if my daughter didn't have something like co-op, she'd really want to go to school. Logistically, though, without a car, doing it in the winter will be a complete nightmare if not downright impossible. Praying for some guidance about what to do.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#156 of 169 Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Sorry for not writing ladies...I have been reading and sending you peaceful happy energies though. This is an odd moment where DD is napping and DS just fell asleep after nursing. Not sure how long it will last but I thought I would say hello!

It would be easier for me to update if MDC had some kind of mobile version because I can use my phone (which is why my facebook and twitter accounts get some attention) while nursing.

We are all doing well. DD is excited about starting school. Her birthday is labour day this year :) That is pretty much all she talks about. We meet her teacher next week. DH just started a new post that makes more money, but he has to get up earlier. It should be more interesting for him though.

Since I am self-employed, I still have to keep up my marketing efforts and up to date with all the health policy changes etc.

I have to take pictures of my TM for you guys to see. It is actually quite amazing - DS looks very similar to the baby I had on it (one image is a mother who just gave birth with baby skin to skin and DD says that it looks just like him). I have another, which is an older baby and I think that may be similar to what DS will look like as he grows.

We went for an amazing walk in the forest yesterday. I felt more spiritually connected than I have in a while. What do you do to practice reverence in your daily living?

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#157 of 169 Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsFox View Post

We finally found an agent who's willing to work hard for us, too.  The fifth one I spoke to turned out to be the right one.  So we're searching hard for the right place, and even changed our location = to Maine.  Yup, it looks like I'm going back "home".  I haven't lived there since 2005, but it feels...right.  And the land is super cheap and plentiful.

Unschoolmama, do you need to stay where you are, or would you consider moving to buy land?  Because Maine is a great place to homestead.

I love Maine:)  When we went on vacations Maine was one of the places I really loved.  We haven't been in more than 4 years:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post

So nothing got fixed, nothing was changed, but I also didn't end up giving up anything, and I seriously doubt he is going to take me to court.  Even if he does, I have a great lawyer just waiting for it, and exh has a lot to lose, and not a lot to gain.  Especially since his whole "she's messing up the kids and they need to live with me" tactic fell through and we have our counselor officially recommending that they stay with me.   I honestly felt very relieved after. And my mediator is like "since he wouldn't work with you, nothing changes, have fun homeschooling!"

And I haven't heard a word from the ex more than the bare minimum about visitation. and he won't respond to anything about drop off/pick up at all. I think I totally called his bluff

Good news:)  Glad you have a good lawyer.  I bet it is a huge weight lifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post

We went for an amazing walk in the forest yesterday. I felt more spiritually connected than I have in a while. What do you do to practice reverence in your daily living?

I love those types of walks.  I always feel refreshed more positive, just lighter after a nice walk in the woods.  I meditated every morning outside.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#158 of 169 Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Morning all:)

First day of school here, my guys got off to a great start this year.  They were excited but a bit nervous as well.  12th grade is a big deal!  I just can not believe how fast it went by.  I hope evreyone who was in the path of the hurricane made it through the storm with as little damage as possible, well no damage at all:)  We were lucky. 

Has anyone ever heard of someone being allergic to beer? I drank some beer with my brother, first time drinking this beer and had to go to the emergency room for a huge reaction.  I had hives from head to toe, not just one or two I mean covered like they were freckles! The beer is the only thing that was new to me. 

I hope everyone has a great day, looks sunny and beautiful out there today:)

#159 of 169 Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Has anyone ever heard of someone being allergic to beer? I drank some beer with my brother, first time drinking this beer and had to go to the emergency room for a huge reaction.  I had hives from head to toe, not just one or two I mean covered like they were freckles! The beer is the only thing that was new to me. 

My mom gets that and so does another friend I know though I think it's with all alcohol for her.  For my mom - she gets this little red itchy bumps more like a rash than hives, though if she drank a lot of beer I could see it turning into hives.  It starts on her hands and works it way up her arms.   Beer is what does it, so she just steers clear of it and has wine and other hard alcohols instead.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#160 of 169 Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

It starts on her hands and works it way up her arms.   Beer is what does it, so she just steers clear of it and has wine and other hard alcohols instead.

It started with my hands too? 

#161 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 AM

Morning All:)

The weather the last 2 days has been beautiful and today looks like another one:)  On the agenda...meditate this morning, kitchen needs a good scrub and soccer with the dogs as soon as the grass is dry.  Yesterday was my guys first day of school and it must have been an overwhelming one because my entire house, except me was in bed at 9p. The trees here are turning quickly, there are bright reds, yellows and oranges all over now.  Has anyone else noticed how dark it is in the morning now?  I have so much work to do before I lock down the house for Winter.  The hurricane made us get the yard clean of all our outdoor stuff so that's done early this year. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

#162 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 AM

We saw the first trees that have really changed two days ago. Someone told me that she was completely positive that the trees didn't turn until the second week of October. I thought that sounded late, but it didn't stop me from parroting this information to my eldest. She adamantly disagreed. She thought the trees definitely turn before the equinox. Two hours later? We come across two fiery red trees in the park.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#163 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 AM

My Gram has to avoid certain beers cause they contain gluten. Could that bother you? Or maybe another ingredient in it? I had a bad reaction to MSG, not a rash, but itchy, dizzy - it was awful. Hope you are feeling better.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#164 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Oh, I forgot. We tried pressing the leaves we found from the first trees to change in our neighborhood, or at least the first leaves we've found. However, I've always had horrible luck pressing leaves. Any tips? How long do you let your leaves press?

But yes, I'm definitely looking forward to daylight savings time ending so that we see more of the sun in the morning. It's also cooler in the morning, even after adjusting for the sun rising later. Fall is coming. I'm hoping to get a lot of cleaning done. Even though I try to give the kids ample time outside even in the winter, we do spend a lot of time inside and I'd like to try to make the home as clean and organized as possible.

#165 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 AM

Earlier this week I noticed a little red tinge coming in on the very top of the gigantor burning bush in front of my house.  Autumn is starting to creep in.  I'm loving it.  I love the chilly mornings and evenings but the bright, comfortable afternoons. 

How is everyone feeling?  I hope things are on the mend for everyone who was not feeling well: physically, spiritually and otherwise. . .

treehugger.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#166 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostHas anyone ever heard of someone being allergic to beer?

Hah, beer was my drink of choice when I was a drinking woman...mostly because of the relative inexpense. I would've made a really lousy alkie if I had been allergic! lol.gif

That said, I'm sure it's an individual ingredient. Have you drunk other beers to no ill effect? Maybe find out what's different about that one. Hope you're feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostWe saw the first trees that have really changed two days ago. Someone told me that she was completely positive that the trees didn't turn until the second week of October. I thought that sounded late

I'm so jealous. Here in Asheville, they pretty well change the week before Samhain. M is having the beginnings of leaf-changing already, up in MA. He's having 77* days and 55* nights right now. We're having 80+* days and 65*+ nights. This weekend is in the high 80s again-- SO glad I will not be here to experience that once again! I can't wait to move back north. I want the seasons to be once again where they should be. Like it used to be, here, just as short as 4-5 years ago.

Off to see M tomorrow!!! joy.gifjoy.gif joy.gif

I'm doing it slightly different, this time. I am not getting a flight at dark-thirty. My flight leaves at 11:30am, so I can drop ds off at school first, even though he'll have to be in before-care. At least I can get up at a reasonable hour!

And when I come home, it's on a mid-morning flight, so I can have a friend pick ds up from school, and have him for about an hour, before I get home. Yay!

Oh-- ds was an utter beast, yesterday, all afternoon. At the very last minute of the day, he was fooling around on his skateboard, and it reared up and hit him in the private greensad.gif I have to say, though, karma works in funny ways winky.gif

He's alright. Thank the gods.

#167 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 PM

Hi all! treehugger.gif

I tried to follow but between crazyness in our schedule, taking a long due vacation and the computer acting up because of some bugs, I fell off the wagon big time. redface.gif

I just hope the next few months will go smooth and I get to relax and stay in contact with my pagan tribe. (ya... I can dream since we homeschool, I have to create/adapt the material for DS's learning troubles, both kids will do gym once a week, DD2 goes back to dance once a week, and I've agreed to be part of the family politic's workgroup for our town... Thanks the Goddess for my weekly yoga class! ) wild.gif

Valérie   
#168 of 169 Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Beer- most "normal" beer has gluten, so if you don't respond to gluten elsewhere you can probably cross that off the list and as long as other alcoholic beverages don't cause the reaction it's probably not alcohol itself.  Hops would be my first guess for an allergic reaction... it's less common in the modern american diet, can be triggered by other plant allergies (like, if you're allergic or sensitive to ragweed, passionflower, various plant pollens, etc you could be sensitive to hops as well).  After hops I'd guess yeast and then the specifi malt used for that beer.  Really though your best bet would be to research the ingredients of that specific brew and go from there.

Life- It's an odd balancing act.  My MIL was just diagnosed with cancer and besides the obvious whammie, she can't care for the kiddos during my soon to be here birth.  My mom has agreed to step in, but honestly that option has me freaking out a bit since my mother and I do NOT get along and we have even gone through long periods of time (years) where we have avoided all contact because of how she has behaved towards the kiddos.  And she has told us she can really only care for the kids if I have the baby th-sat.  Sunday she is at church and she works m-w.  My dad isn't getting any better, and he wont, but he seems to have held steady for a few weeks now... meaning I really think he'll be alive to see this grandchild.  Which is wonderful, but also nerve wracking because I feel a lot of pressure to "have the baby before anyone dies" from the extended family.  I'm 39 weeks but apparently the new insurance guidelines for my midwives mean they can't attend me past 40 weeks and OB at the practice can't attend me past 41 weeks, so I'm really nervous about my appointment on Friday... if I have a good bishop's score then I'll probably agree to an AROM induction and hope for the best.  BUT the last time round I didn't have a good Bishop's score just 12 hours before Tor was born so I'm not sure what will happen.  The "after school" program is signed/sealed/paid for and we have a dr visit to get the paperwork done... it starts next week, on the 7th.  It looks like a great program but right now dd1 and dd2 would be the youngest kiddos and the only girls (dd2 would be THE youngest at 4, then dd1 at 6, the other kids are all 8 or 9 year old boys though the director thinks this will change as word gets out) and the school that is running this program has had a history of bullying.  There is a one month trial so that's good, but I'm a little worried.  The integrated preschool hasn't gotten back to us with paperwork but did confirm the spot for us via email so I'm still counting on them!  And the new floor is more or less totally good... though the kids have already broken TWO tiles.  How the heck they managed it we don't know (best guess, they threw a metal water bottle or other "hard" item) so we'll have to fix that at some point.  For now I've got a rug over the cracked tiles and am hoping that bloodshed remains at a minimum... the kids want to run/jump/bounce but the floor is so hard now it's just not safe!

So while I think life is sort of balancing out, and is on an overall upward swing... it's that same seasonal tidal swirl thing.  Yes, the tide is coming in and life is improving, but the turbulance and swirling is still causing some not insignificant suck.  LOL

Fairy House- the kids built a really rockin fairy house today in our woods.  Actually, today was an overall good day... hit a 50% off sale and got nearly everything the kiddos need for winter along with a dozen or so wonderful books and a pretty purple bottle for the bottle tree, all for less than 30 dollars!  And then I took the kiddos on a nature hike, took pictures of red/yellow/fallen leaves, and waatched while the kids put together the fairy house complete with mosaic floor, moss bed, and bark roof.  And dd2 even started a little larder of nuts and seeds and found an old "icicle" from our solstice tree (silver sparkle thing) to decorate the front door of the house.  I stuck some pictures on FB if anyone wants to see.  ( 

)

I'm trying to pull more waldorf influences back into our daily life and into our homeschool routine too.  Though I do get the silliness of trying to get new things in place right before a baby comes!  :)  And I've found enough craft sites to have me in perpetual drool mode.  Seriously, how do these ladies do it?  Is it a Martha Stewart slight of hand sort of thing where there is actually a staff of hundreds standing in the wings?  Or have they simply been blessed with children who would rather put their nature findings on a beautiful table instead of sticking those acorns, pinecones, and sparkly pebbles up their noses?  Who enjoy looking at felted critters instead of improving them with sharpie markers and then feeding them to the cat?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#169 of 169 Old 09-01-2011, 05:40 AM

Perhaps I don't have the authority, but it's SEPTEMBER. New thread: September-Pagan Circle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page