~~The August Pagan Parents Party ~~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Holy Days to one and all!  Welcome to the season of harvest and hope!

May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past...

LionessMom and redveg like this.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Happy Lammas/Lughnasah to all in the Northern hemisphere and Happy Imbolc to our Southern hemisphere friends! treehugger.gif

Week-end was way busier than planned so I couldn't get the ingredients for the pie I had planned for today... Think I'll bake a loaf of bread for my family (I have GF buns for me in the freezer) and get creative with what I find in the garden today. coolshine.gif

Aubergine68 likes this.

Valérie   
#3 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 AM

Merry Meet! I was thinking about what the sew and what we harvest this morning as I drank my coffee. Literally, I planted beans, various herbs, carrots, peppers and melon. I also planted lots of flowers, so far my harvest has been very small compared to what I sewed, but it has been tasty and has provided my family with great joy. I also thought of the that which I have brought into my life and have watched grow and flourish- my children.

I hope everyone has a blessed day!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 AM

:swing:  :swing::swing::swing::swing::swing::swing:

Happy Lammas/Lughnasah Everyone!!    

Clay - such a beautiful blessing.

Aeress - I was thinking yesterday of how much I need to get started on harvesting & canning for the winter, but it has been growing (the total amount) since last year.  We got our first tomato from the garden yesterday (golden yellow!) and it was delicious & sweet.

I wonder if I can bake a quick cake or a pound cake for dinner tonight (I'll have to beg DH to go to the HFS store for me for some GF mix) and then top it with some yummy strawberries we got yesterday.  mmmmmmmyummy.gif

Huge fan of Earth's Children series - though right now I'm waiting for my hold to come through for The Mammoth Hunters from the library, so I switch to the Mists of Avalon Series now.  I am in love with our library right now - as I've managed to get some of the backyard homesteading/farming books and a copy of Cottage Witchery love.gif so I am in book heaven right now and making a new list of books to be purchased for the holidays energy.gif Now I just have to make some bookshelves to hold all these wonderful treasures in our house.

Weekend fun included, hanging out with friends for one of their daughter's  birthday, watching my DS1 play dress up with fairy wings and loving it - we were encouraging him to embrace his inner Puck once he decided he wanted to wear them (and pooh-poohing the folks who wanted to just take embarassing pictures eyesroll.gif), also watching him rock out on a ukulele, and then play "bard" to the group of princesses, having fun grown-up conversation with friends, and some yummy food to boot! 

Mental notes to do  for my kids - need to get/make some fairy wings, and a ukulele and make some paper crowns for them to enjoy!!

Happy Holiday to all and may we all be merry today! dust.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#5 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Ahhhh!  Hot summer days.  I discovered Mama Spa today.  You take one kiddy pool fill it full of bubbles and warm water then add two kiddies with lotus petals to give mama a massage.  Awesome Lughnasah day!  Here is to a wonderful season!  coolshine.gif

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#6 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Blessed Lughnasadh! If you saw my post on FB, it's my DD's birthday today. She's three:D It just makes the holiday all the better!

So cupcakes for dessert, and hopefully we can attend to something more of a sabbat soon.

Still nothing on the jobs front for us. DH has two applications in, and my co-worker hasn't formally left. He did get rejected from one school district, but honestly, he didn't want it anyway. Too far away.

Come ponder with me about food!
#7 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM

The harvest season is just starting, and I'm already planning next year's harvest!  max and I are hoping to end up with about 1/4 acre, so we can have a decent garden, chickens, and rabbits.  We're also looking into a sustainable aquaponics system where we can raise tilapia as a major meat source, as well as lots of our greens.  But first, this year, I need to get going on learning to preserve our yield.  The first putting up might be with a lot of veggies from the grocery store. Sheepish.gif

I'd love to hear how all you mamas celebrate the harvest holidays with your kids.  How do I instill a knowledge of - and respect for - growing cycles and the earth's seasons in a 3-year-old with no exposure (yet) to agriculture?

~Tristan~ malesling.GIF

Co-parent to Badger Boy with my beautiful partner Max.  

Photographer. Pagan. Pierced & Tattooed Punk.

#8 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 PM

happy happy to all! 

made some bread today - loving the garden - hoping for some red tomatoes SOOOON... every day I look at them thinking get ripe babies!  It's like "a watched pot never boils" haha.

Valerie, Thanks for the link to the rug.  I'm in love with it and think it will be my winter project.  

I love the idea of the mama spa!! woohoo!!

Witchy, happy birthday to your babygirl!!  what a wonderful day!

Aeress- love the thoughts on the children being seeds we've sown.  that's beautiful -- and my harvest is feeling small right now, too!!!  I'm sure I'll change my tune in a week when I am *hopefully* buried under squash, beans, peppers, etc!! 

Clay, thank you for the lovely blessing to open this month.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#9 of 169 Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 PM

Happy and Blessed Lughnasadh! 

I just wanted to take a minute to say hello and actually introduce myself! I've been lurking for a while (and a pre-emptive apology for length!) 

Just some background: I was raised Christian, but not very seriously (actually, my moms family is Catholic, so I did the baptism/first communion thing - I've been following the Catholic/Paganism discussion with interest!) - when I was a teenager my friend first introduced me to the idea of Witchcraft as religion, and that led to Wicca, which evolved into identifying myself as Pagan for many years (my heritage is Scottish, and I find I identify most with Celtic dieties). 

When I was about 25-26 I was feeling kind of isolated so I put myself out there and met a series of really REALLY weird people who called themselves Pagans and it just ... I don't know, I guess I got kind of disgusted. Now, I've met many beautiful Pagan people online and IRL, but for some reason at this time in my life I felt like I just couldn't handle it (I mean those people in particular not the community in general - seriously, they were really strange and CREEPY! Like, all energy vampires and just really YUCKY energy); that plus the criticism from family, and feeling like I couldn't be open, it was just too much and I stepped away from it all. I was kind of floating around in a spiritual way, still feeling very connected to God/dess, but not observing any Sabbats and basically neglecting my spiritual needs. At this time I also had a lot of Jewish friends and was dating Jewish men- I started asking questions. I always thought Judaism was Christianity without Jesus, but found that I was very wrong! My then BF (now DH) took me to my first Friday night Shabbat service and I was enchanted. I started doing a lot of research and found that the Goddess was so present in Judaism; this made me feel very comfortable. I also loved that there was such an emphasis on nature, and healing the world, and there's even a holiday celebrating trees! 

I felt like I found something that jived with my Pagan side, but was also very traditional and family oriented, and I just had all the warm fuzzies. I also felt it was more "acceptable" to be Jewish (and I realize this speaks to a deeper issue, and I feel differently *now*, but it was important at the time) ... anyway- I spent a lot of time just going to services, reading about things, then eventually took a Judaism 101 at a synagogue near our house, and as my relationship with DH grew I felt more and more like I could be a Jew ... so I started the conversion process, took more classes, learned to read Hebrew (pretty cool language) - but at the end I could never pull the trigger. Every major Jewish idea that I loved, I loved because it reminded me of Paganism. I was living like a Jew, but thinking about my Pagan days, and missing things and just feeling confused. Then I was pregnant, and DH and I got married in a civil ceremony; I was supposed to finish my conversion and do the mikvah while pregnant so the baby would be born a Jew. And we found out that DS was a BOY so that started the whole circumcision thing, and I just kept putting it off and putting it off, and then suddenly he was born and I hadn't been converted and neither of us was Jewish. And I decided that no son of mine would ever get circumcised before adulthood, which means they won't convert him- also, I think there is a big difference between being "born" a Jew (ie: born to Jewish parents and raised Jewish) and being converted as a baby ... and so here I am- pretty confused. I love so many things about Judaism, but I don't think I'm cut out for Religion. I think a lot of our traditions are man made, and that there is nothing wrong with that- but I don't like being told that I'm doing something WRONG or that I have to do XYZ to belong. The circ'ing issue has created a lot of tension between DH and I. He says that if I had told him "upfront" that I didn't want to raise DH Jewish and didn't want to circ him it would not have been a problem, but he's mad b/c I changed my mind. I told him I had no idea that my mind would change. I just feel now that I am getting back to the path I was meant to be on the whole time. I have a deep appreciation for Judaism, but I don't think I could ever finish converting, because I don't think my heart is in it 100%. I love that I have learned so much about it, and that I can participate in the traditions and holidays with my husband and his family, but I don't feel like I'll ever really belong, because I'm just too Pagan in my heart. 

Well, that's me! I hope this wasn't too heavy. 

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
#10 of 169 Old 08-02-2011, 05:46 AM

Welcome HeckedyPeg! I have a very tree hugging nature oriented friend who was raised Jewish. She seems to combine both parts of her life well, in fact, she attends my UU church. I would call pagan in many ways.

Most Unitarian Universalists have trouble with the whole religious/religion thing as well, we tend to think of ourselves as spiritual/spiritualist, as we don't have a set doctrine that we follow but I believe each person can have their own beliefs, set of rules, and in a way it can become a doctrine. I try my hardest to live my life in a balance between having very strong beliefs that guide me and not becoming so set in my beliefs that I no longer see the value in other ways. (hopefully that makes sense and is mostly spelled correctly, darn weather is making me all wonky today)

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#11 of 169 Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome HeckedyPeg!  I'm so glad you joined in... I can't wait to get to know you better... it sounds like you're on a really fascinating journey.  :)  (oh, and in my pre-SAHM life I was an anthropologist researching the role of women in religious organizations, mostly "fringe" groups, and then a reference librarian so I tend to have a bad habit of answering questions with way too much info, and of going on and on and on about random kinda-acadmic stuff that is only remotely connected to the thread topic at hand.  Never ever worry about telling me to move on or drop a topic... it happens often enough in real life!  LOL)

Mama Spa- LOVE it!  I'm going to have to steal some parts of that for our camping trip (I've already packed our kiddie pool or I'd try it today).

Lughnasadh- we had homemade pancakes with local plums, strawberries, and (kinda local) blueberries for dinner.  And I stuffed our family offering bowl with sunflowers, strawberries, and rainbow chard.  It looked really pretty and I'll link once I get some pictures on line.  I also made my birth necklace using the beads from the mdc DDC bead exchange.  I need to figure out how to make a clasp (not sure which style I want to use, and/or which style will be the most comfy during labor) but otherwise it's done and riding the energy of the holy day.

I managed to get my sewing machine up and running, so I made about 2/3 of the garb we need yesterday!  I need to hem some random bits (bottom hem, neck, the arm holes on two items) and I still need to make another 2 dresses each for the girls, but other than that I think I'm *gasp* done!  Squeeeee!

Max- I like the Celebrating the Great Goddess book for seasonal activities that don't necessarily require access to the "great outdoors".  Lots of crafts and "young child" friendly activities.  I found my first copy of the book in the Brooklyn Heights branch of the NYPL long before I had kids and did a lot of the activities for myself!  So check your library... they may have it!  Also cook books like Cooking Like a Goddess (by the same author as Celebrating actually), Full Moon Feast, Twelve Months of Monastery Soups, and Cooking by the Seasons... all great books with a wide range of recipes that all tie in with the wheel of the year.  Eating locally/seasonally can be one way to make the seasons come alive, especially for a child.  And maybe thinking about seasonally connected traditions that you can put in place now that will eventually be "markers of the year" for your little?  They may not "mean" much now, and they may go totally over their head, but it'll become a bedrock tradition eventually...

Like, my kiddos are 6, 4, and 2.  Every holy day we make little flags that we hang up around the house... it started a year or so ago when I wanted to make "prayer flags" (using an idea from the Creative Family book) for a holiday.  I cut out pieces of paper into triangles, had the kiddos draw the things they were thankful for on them, and then taped the triangles to yarn to make "banners" that I hung over the stove and across doorways.  And it sort of snowballed... we make banners (paper, tissue paper, fabric, whatever I find) that reflect our thoughts/hopes for each season and hang them over doors and windows and beds.  If I forget or try to put it off the girls remind me... it's one of the "things we do".

So maybe something like that?  What do the seasons mean to you/your family (or what do you want them to mean?) and then think of one or two crafts that you could do on each holiday or for each season that can become permanent traditions?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#12 of 169 Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Postso far my harvest has been very small compared to what I sewed

Not to go all grammar police on you, but this had me so confused! This particular incarnation is spelled "sowed" hide.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostHappy Holy Days to one and all!  Welcome to the season of harvest and hope!

May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past...

What a lovely sentiment! Thank you, and you as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post:swing:  :swing::swing::swing::swing::swing::swing:

Huge fan of Earth's Children series - though right now I'm waiting for my hold to come through for The Mammoth Hunters from the library, so I switch to the Mists of Avalon Series now.

I just put a hold on the last one-- thanks for reminding me! Where did the dancing smileys come from? I haven't seen those! Lurve them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsFox View PostThe first putting up might be with a lot of veggies from the grocery store. Sheepish.gif

I'd love to hear how all you mamas celebrate the harvest holidays with your kids.  How do I instill a knowledge of - and respect for - growing cycles and the earth's seasons in a 3-year-old with no exposure (yet) to agriculture?

Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Why not from the store? It's all good.

What Clay said, about starting traditions. I like Circle Round, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostStill nothing on the jobs front for us. DH has two applications in, and my co-worker hasn't formally left. He did get rejected from one school district, but honestly, he didn't want it anyway. Too far away.

GRRR, on his behalf! Srsly, still? irked.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaVolpe View PostAhhhh!  Hot summer days.  I discovered Mama Spa today.  You take one kiddy pool fill it full of bubbles and warm water then add two kiddies with lotus petals to give mama a massage. 

I'm not sure I'm getting this....the kids in the pool to stay away from you while you get massaged? Or, the kids give you a massage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckedyPeg View PostI always thought Judaism was Christianity without Jesus, but found that I was very wrong! My then BF (now DH) took me to my first Friday night Shabbat service and I was enchanted. I started doing a lot of research and found that the Goddess was so present in Judaism; this made me feel very comfortable. I also loved that there was such an emphasis on nature, and healing the world, and there's even a holiday celebrating trees! 

Do tell? My mom's side of the family is Jewish, and I haven't ever noticed this.

I'm the one started the Catholic/Pagan part. Now I think I'm Catholic, Pagan, and UU lol.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostAnd I stuffed our family offering bowl with sunflowers, strawberries, and rainbow chard. 

And maybe thinking about seasonally connected traditions that you can put in place now that will eventually be "markers of the year" for your little?  They may not "mean" much now, and they may go totally over their head, but it'll become a bedrock tradition eventually...

What is a family offering bowl? And I posted the 2nd sentence as a reference for MaxsFox re: my reply above.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#13 of 169 Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM

How old is your kid, Max? Well, we're city folks. We don't have a big garden to harvest, living in a giant apartment complex. I tried community gardens, but I wanted to involve the kids, and at their young ages (4 years and 1.5 years), they were just too destructive to be in a shared garden. We have a few small window boxes, but that's it. I think I mentioned in July's thread that Lammas is not my favorite holiday, but we do have our own harvest traditions via agro-tourism. The last three years, we have celebrated maple sugaring, strawberry season, blueberry season, and apple season. We general go to a u-pick Saturday morning, and then we devote the rest of the weekend to canning, freezing, baking, etc... with what we "harvested." For the maple sugaring, a nature center nearby takes children and their families out to tap trees and has a maple syrup festival. I definitely see these as a celebration of the harvest, season, etc...

In addition to explicitly pagan books, I've also found a lot of inspiration on sites such as the Crafty Crow and waldorf-inspired blogs for seasonal crafts, but then again, while there are some holidays I love, we don't celebrate all the holidays on the wheel of the year. We add our own holidays based on our little scrap of land. My goal is to be centered in the rhythms of the earth. The wheel of the year is just a tool.

Clay - Thanks for the cookbook recommendations. Too bad my library only has Twelve Months of Monastery Soups. Maybe it's just the summer heat, but soup just doesn't appeal to me. Well, except gazpatcho!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#14 of 169 Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Welcome HeckedyPeg! I have a very tree hugging nature oriented friend who was raised Jewish. She seems to combine both parts of her life well, in fact, she attends my UU church. I would call pagan in many ways.

Most Unitarian Universalists have trouble with the whole religious/religion thing as well, we tend to think of ourselves as spiritual/spiritualist, as we don't have a set doctrine that we follow but I believe each person can have their own beliefs, set of rules, and in a way it can become a doctrine. I try my hardest to live my life in a balance between having very strong beliefs that guide me and not becoming so set in my beliefs that I no longer see the value in other ways. (hopefully that makes sense and is mostly spelled correctly, darn weather is making me all wonky today)

I've had a bit of experience with UU ... I used to attend public rituals hosted by the Pagan branch of a UU church near me, CUUPS or something like that (we were card carrying Pagans, literally! haha! there were membership cards). I really relate to that spiritual approach though- I think part of our journey is growth which is easier if one is open minded. (and yes, you made sense :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Welcome HeckedyPeg!  I'm so glad you joined in... I can't wait to get to know you better... it sounds like you're on a really fascinating journey.  :)  (oh, and in my pre-SAHM life I was an anthropologist researching the role of women in religious organizations, mostly "fringe" groups, and then a reference librarian so I tend to have a bad habit of answering questions with way too much info, and of going on and on and on about random kinda-acadmic stuff that is only remotely connected to the thread topic at hand.  Never ever worry about telling me to move on or drop a topic... it happens often enough in real life!  LOL)

Ooh, your previous occupations sound incredibly interesting! I look forward to your responses! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Do tell? My mom's side of the family is Jewish, and I haven't ever noticed this.

I'm the one started the Catholic/Pagan part. Now I think I'm Catholic, Pagan, and UU lol.gif

DH and his family definitely don't think about the Jewish God this way, but they're not terribly observant. I don't really know how an Orthodox family would approach it on a daily basis. Well, this is what Rabbi Benjamin Blech says in "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Judaism": 

What’s even more fascinating is that in the Hebrew the name for the Lord, Adonay, has a feminine ending. A merciful God is more like a mother. The Hebrew for God, Elohim, has a masculine ending. It suggests that God is also a father. The Jewish concept of Lord/God is a combination of male and female attributes. The Almighty is a He and a She, harmonizing the best of both sexes so that human beings can be blessed not only with a Father, but also with a Mother, in heaven. 

[Blech, Rabbi Benjamin (1999). The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Judaism, 2nd Edition]

In my experiences, the closest thing to Goddess observation that most semi-observant Jews do is welcoming Shabbat as a bride, that is supposed to be the female aspect of the Jewish God. I think the reverence for nature is pretty mainstream though- I was told that if the Messiah comes while you're planting a tree, finish planting the tree first, then go greet him/her. That's how important it is!

If you get into the Kabalah then you're really into the Jewish mysticism and it's very Goddess oriented. I've always had a thing for the occult too, and reading Tarot, and it's been really fascinating to read some of the old school Kabalah/Golden Dawn tarot information, and the Hebrew alphabet (which is incredibly symbolic) plays a big part in the meaning of the cards. I also have some books that talk about the Goddess aspect from a Jewish POV, or are kind of "Jewitchy"-

The Hebrew Goddess by Raphael Patai 

On the Wings of Shekhinah by Rabbi Leah Novick

The Encyclopedia of Jewish Myth, Magic and Mysticism by Geoffrey W. Dennis

Magickal Judaism: Connecting Pagan & Jewish Practice by Jennifer Hunter

Tree of Souls: The Mythology of Judaism by Howard Schwartz

The Jewish Book of Days by Rabbi Jill Hammer.

Hmm, listing out all those books makes me realize how much this has been on my mind- I sought out most of these at the start of my Jewish journey!! Since I'm thinking about it, there is also a great website, Peeling a Pomegranate (www.peelapom.com) that is all about earth-based magickal Judaism. I think it's interesting that there is this movement of people (most are born Jews) that are so interested in finding the earth-based roots of Judaism- and there is definitely room for magick in the mystical tradition. I wouldn't call it mainstream Judaism by any means, but it's out there! I think that one of my personal hurdles is not being ethnically Jewish, I don't feel like I fit in with the "Jewitches" who are almost all ethnically Jewish and feel like they should be honoring ancestral dieties. My roots are Scottish, and that is what I'm called to. So yeah ... 

ETA: DH and I just ordered ourselves 23&Me kits (the DNA/Genome testing thing) so I guess I'll be finding out what my roots are, IN DEPTH! hahaha

Mama to my sweet boy O  age 4; baby girl lost at 13 wks, July '14 ~ I'm a nerdy, treehugging, polytheist lady and a professional herbalist.   Three candles that illume every darkness: Truth, Nature, Knowledge. - Triads of Ireland 
#15 of 169 Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsFox View Post
The first putting up might be with a lot of veggies from the grocery store. Sheepish.gif

We (try to) make a point of only eating veggies that are in season (despite what may be available at the store); DS is not yet able to comprehend, but it can lead to discussing how melons and tomatoes are summertime food, and squash and rutabega are winter foods, and we eat what is in season because it can balance us out. 

Revolting: I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to see the maple sugaring!! I live in California, it's not done here as far as I know. 

#16 of 169 Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Soups- We really like the Sweet Milk Soup for Children recipe year round (water, bread, milk, raisins, honey, eggs, nutmeg) but the soups listed for August are almost all served cold:

cream of fennel

garlic consomme

broccoli soup

radish greens soup

parsley soup

gazpacho

garden borscht

farmers vegetable soup

cold zucchini soup

spicy carrot and orange soup

wild rice soup

The cold basil soup and the avocado soup from July are also family favorites.  I really like the book because it gives historical info about the soups and because it's very tied into seasonal/local eating (we have a CSA so the harvest months mean lots and lots and LOTS of greens and some of these late summer soups are really just greens put through a blender and seasoned!).  I lived in Turkey for a while and they make a cold yogurt soup (plain yogurt, mint, sometimes garlic, some salt, and diced cucumbers) that is super yummy during the hot hot months and easy peasy to make.  It's not an uncommon dish throughout the middle east though every culture seems to claim it as their own.  :)

Offering Bowl- I big, beautiful, bowl that sits on our family altar.  In the past it was a huge wooden salad bowl, but last Pennsic DH bought me an amazing ceramic bowl from Dancing Pig Pottery that has the 8 holy days carved into the rim so I can turn the bowl to have the "current holy day" facing out into the room.  Usually it sits on the family altar and if anyone has something they want to offer to the gods (a picture, a wish on a piece of paper, a fear/hurt/anger they want to get rid of, some beautiful flowers, a shiny stone, whatever) it goes into the bowl.  Sometime I'll put things in the bowl to "charge" them up or to ask for a specific blessing (like, when the girls got their sweet dream guardian dolls I put them in the bowl, and if I'm going to be making a beaded item with a specific intent I might put the beads in the bowl to cleanse them).  Every holiday we burn or bury or distribute the items as appropriate and fill the bowl with all the gifts of the season that we're thankful for.  And it acts as the centerpiece on our table for ritual meals.  There are smaller offering bowls on individual altars (a little clay goddess holding a bowl on my altar, the copper bowl outside in our nature space, a small ceramic bowl on the children's nature table, a japanese tea bowl that I adore but can't have within the reach of kiddos above the stove) and those get used either at meal time (a crumb and a drop of each meal for the gods into the tea bowl for example, then tapped off outside) or during outdoor rituals (pouring milk and honey on Imbolc for instance, or leaving seeds at Winter Solstice).  But the family offering bowl is kind of the "show piece", especially since the bowl is awesome!  DH surprised me with it, and I've hinted not so subtly that further gifts from Dancing Pig will be well received.  LOL ;)

(there are pictures of the bowl in action here)

A long time ago I read a book in which a character had a bowl of water on her altar... changing the water each day, floating flowers or herbs or oil on it, and so on... it was sort of a daily reminder and spiritual practice.  I think that was the first time I thought about having an offering bowl...

#17 of 169 Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM

Heckedy- Ooooh I'm love all the insights you have about  Judaism as my DH is jewish, born & raised, but not even close to practicing.  He got through his bar mitzvah and left.  With our kids now, I'm always looking for ways to blend all our spiritual practices so I see I have some more items to put on hold at the library thumb.gif

Maxs - most of my canning still comes from the store, though I try like Revolting mentioned to focus on a couple of things right now with my kids since they are not that old to harvest and can during the summer.  This year since I missed strawberry season mecry.gif and now it looks like blueberry season bawling.gif too - I'm focusing on Apple picking and my cucumbers for pickling.  I am going to try for a couple of batches of peaches and some of the yummy plum/cherry compote I made last year.  That was awesome on my hot cereal in the middle of winter love.gif

My advice - start small and add on each year to get a feel for the work/time and efforts also the $$$.  I'm excited for next year to add some more rows to my garden, but that means I have to start digging out the plots now to get them ready (structure and soil wise) for possible spring plantings.  If you haven't checked out the "Digging in the Earth" Forum here - come on over as that is a great resource too!!

Clay - that bowl is beautiful!!  I am looking for or trying to attract a small offering bowl (and now I'm thinking tea cup might work) for my kitchen alter and perhaps something larger once I get the energy up for a family alter. That is inspiring !

I am knee deep in books as I am almost finished with Mists of Avalon  love.gif  (I almost was crying last night cus I got to the part where it was the battle of the King Stags and one loses bawling.gif) and I just picked up Cottage Witchery from the library  energy.gif

Then I have to finish Real Food, and eat, pray, love quickly before they are due in a couple of weeks, along with my farming books. I can't believe I have missed books this much and I feel like I am gorging myself in reading just to catch up after 5 years of not being able to read consistently with the kiddos. 

Finally I'm trying not to get involved in drama with some of our friends who have kids.  Ai-ya-yah DH is getting annoyed with a couple of them and I'm trying to get him to just not take the bait and sound like a judgemental jerk in responding to some of their messages.  Yesterday's drama was about meeting up for playdate/pool time - it was set the day before for 9-11am as those are the morning pool hours for non-members.  There was a 50% chance of rain, and so some ideas came out about possible back up plans - if it was raining in the morning.

Well it sort of hit the fan with DH as there was a series of FB messages (and a voicemail which he got after the pool since the phone was in the diaper bag and he was in the pool at the time) about what was going on, what was the plan for the day all starting after 9AM.  headscratch.gif  Needless to say this is the usual pattern for these folks and I think DH has just had it.

Ok now I have to get back to work and not continue to write a novel this morning.  Such a busy day of meetings, meetings and more meetings - when all I want to do is walk outside in the sunshine. treehugger.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#18 of 169 Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Welcome, Heckedy!  I'm loving all the information you're adding to the conversation! 

We are up to our eyeballs in zucchini right now which I am SO HAPPY about -- I'm having dreams about snowy days with hotchocolate and zucchini bread.   haha.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing this moment away but I love imagining all the tasty dishes that will come from my garden.  I love that I can provide for my family year round from the few months we have to grow here.  We try to eat seasonally as best we can but we are always "eating from the garden." 

Clay- I am a soupaholic.  My favorite is a creamy cauliflower that has cauli and garbanzos and curry powder.  I haven't yet attempted to grow beans to dry but i can use the cauliflower from my garden and that makes me smile.  *also, i love the bowl, i love the tissue paper flowers and your kids make me giggle they are so darn cute!!

Maxs - did you ever think about "harvesting" at your local farmer's market?  Your babe could meet the farmers and you might make friend with one who might let you come and see just wehre your veggies are coming from. 

Do any of you big city dwellers know if there are plots available for gardening in your cities?  I know some cities, including ours, have plots you can rent out and some are free in local parks.  Just an idea.??

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#19 of 169 Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Hey all!

Welcome HeckedyPeg!!!  I feel for you in this situation with your dh.  I don't have any brilliant advice right now, but just be gentle to you and and your dh while you go through this.  <3

Our Lughnasadh was spent in the car coming home from the midwest for a road trip.  It was my paternal grandparents 60th wedding anniversary and we all trekked to indianapolis to celebrate.  It was my parents, my sister and her 2 babes (2.5 months and 2.5 years) and me and Bodhi (4).  Older two kids went to their fathers house for his birthday.  It was a wonderful trip, I love traveling with my family!  First we stayed a couple nights in Illinois with my moms side of the family, and my aunts house backs up to a cornfield. :-)  I definitely felt close to my roots.

Anyway, Lughnasagh found us heading home. We ate lunch in Louisville with more family and then that evening we "harvested" at the most awesome Whole Foods.  In Nashville.  We got bbq and veggies, fruit and they even have fresh kombucha on TAP!  At first I was all "sigh, another sabbat without me doing anything" and then I realized just how observant I am at ANYTHING is what I do with my day/month/year on the inside more that any ritual. 

Home now, and getting caught up on the house, ready for the kids to start school, and back into my yarn business and yoga teacher training.  Busy mama!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#20 of 169 Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View PostAt first I was all "sigh, another sabbat without me doing anything" and then I realized just how observant I am at ANYTHING is what I do with my day/month/year on the inside more that any ritual.

What a cool thing to say and a cool observation!

Where do you live now, then? Your sig says Texas, but you said "coming HOME" from the midwest. Nashville is sorta-kinda close to me, relatively speaking (from Texas, anyway).

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#21 of 169 Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Heckedy Peg - I just notced your paragraph on "weird" Pagans and could not agree more.  I'm a second generation Pagan, raised by a Wiccan mother, and I've been involved with the local community and festival circuit for most of my life.  There are a whole lot of Pagans out there who seem to be Pagan just so that that can further marginalize themselves with their strange beliefs and behaviors.  They're like the Fred Phelps of Paganism, giving the rest of us a bad name through their loud abnoxiousness.  I have had to withdraw from a lot of the community, stop reading the magazines, and generally go stealth with my own community becuase the whack jobs anger me so much.  In any group that is marginalized by society, you're going to find a large segment that like it that way, and even push it farther in that direction.  I've seen it with Pagans, punks, and LGBTQ people.  The wounded and mentally unhealthy tend to gravitate towards all of those groups, and similar ones.

~Tristan~ malesling.GIF

Co-parent to Badger Boy with my beautiful partner Max.  

Photographer. Pagan. Pierced & Tattooed Punk.

#22 of 169 Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 AM

I'm in TX.  We went via Louisville, which is a little out of the way but to see family. 

wouldn't it be fun to have a real life meet up?  I can't remember where you live, maia....

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#23 of 169 Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM

Interesting pagans spin-off:  Didn't we have a discussion about the word witch recently?  I think Unschoolma brought it up and how or if we identify ourselves with that term? I remember my response about how I use that term for me in that it means something different than the super dark, goth-y image that some individuals might envision. 

I wonder how much of that holds true in culture today? I.e. a witch is dark, goth like and etc...  cus I kind of find that sole image to be limiting once you learn more about the spirituality of the goddess.

#24 of 169 Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM

I am supposed to be packing for our week long trip to the beach in Delaware.  For some reason I have decided there will be no food and we will starve.  I've made more bread, brownies, and packed bags and bags of vegetables.  It feels like "nesting" without the pregnancy!  hahaha.  I'm also so excited my nerves are kind of shot - you know.  Every time I eat something I want to throw up... gosh this is sounding like pregnancy!  oh man... anticipation!! 

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Please send my family safe traveling thoughts!!  Will be sending out the same for all of you other road warriors this weekend.  

#25 of 169 Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View PostI'm in TX.  We went via Louisville, which is a little out of the way but to see family. 

wouldn't it be fun to have a real life meet up?  I can't remember where you live, maia....

Oh, nevermind, then...sigh. I live in western NC. Hoping to move to MA, but I have to get my house sold first! Still no showings or bites. I hope someone comes soon, because there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room to keep lowering the price and still allow room for an offer fingersx.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostHope everyone has a great weekend.  Please send my family safe traveling thoughts!!  Will be sending out the same for all of you other road warriors this weekend. 

Here's to safe travels, vydalea. Is your nick somehow related to the onions? Even though it's not spelled the same?

ETA: new profile pic of me with my shorter hair-- which is way blonde now, too. That's the color I had all my growing up years. I don't know why it got dark with age.

#26 of 169 Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Puttin' on my mod hat...

In the past, the MDC User Agreement asked that members refrain from "name calling".  Posts that described other individuals (or groups) in negative terms were removed, and the members who wrote them were asked to edit those posts before the posts could be returned to the board.  Under the new MDC User Agreement, members are asked to keep the boards friendly and respectful and moderators have been asked to place reminders of this in threads where the tone is starting to "drift" and ask that people voluntarily edit their posts to keep the tone positive, respectful, and supportive.

It is especially important in a "support only" forum like Spirituality that individuals and groups be treated with utmost respect and love.  Please help me (as a moderator) keep MDC a wonderful and welcoming community by checking your posts for comments or terms that might make another member uncomfortable, or feel like they are not accepted because of their behaviors, beliefs, personal style, and so on.

A long time ago I read a wonderful book my Mercedes Lackey.  In it, an individual who belonged to a normative religion asked the main character (a Pagan) why members of alternative groups were so "strange".  She explained that when you grow up "feeling different" (for whatever reason, different opinions, abilities, gender orientation, etc) you are in for a lot of pressure from the normative society.  And down the road, even if you find a community where you differences "fit in", you've still internalized a lot of baggage about your own self worth and ability.  Having a hard time expressing your individuality in a way that translates well to others is just a visible reminder that not everyone makes it through life without some serious pain, and that not everyone has found a way to grow through this pain to balance their inner self with their outer presenation.

Soooooo... again with Mod Hat firmly in place.... please do check your posts and consider editing them to remove comments that would cause further pain to fellow Pagans (and humans in general!) who may already be struggling.

Thanks!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread!

#27 of 169 Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

ETA: new profile pic of me with my shorter hair-- which is way blonde now, too. That's the color I had all my growing up years. I don't know why it got dark with age.

Ha! I was just about to say - oh la la to your new hair!  Very cute my friend!

#28 of 169 Old 08-06-2011, 06:28 AM

treehugger.gif

I'm not feeling well... no energy... and so many things to do... blah!

This day will be a long one...

Valérie   
#29 of 169 Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 AM

That said, Clay, I used to be one of those gothy Pagans...but for the life of me I can not explain why I wore both pentagrams and rosaries on my leather jacket eyesroll.gif I always "felt different" too, and as a punk rocker I finally found a group that I fit in with. And we used to sit around and condemn, rather contemptuously, people that followed the norm-- flannel and denim wearing people who listened to Led Zeppelin because they never bothered to find out that there were alternatives huh.gif  I know, right? We were SO condescending.

Only-- years and years later, I mean it took me that long to realize, that we conformed, our ownselves, within our alternative group. I saw a one-frame comic that perfectly described it. In it, three young women, all wearing black Tshirts and smoking cigarettes, looking pretty much exactly alike (but different from the mainstream) sat on a low wall, watching a man walk by with short hair and a suit on. They're all watching him, and one of the women says, in a blaming, disdainful way, "Conformist!" lol.gif Get it? At that point I was able to laugh at myself.

Sometimes it takes people a long time to let the pendulum swing back to the middle. For me, my job is to be the best Pagan I can be, because I don't know that I'm not the only Pagan anybody will ever meet. So it's my responsibility to represent us all in a kind, positive, respectful manner. But it took me years to get to that point. AND years in recovery, which is where I learned it.

Thank you, ktg, for the compliment!

Today and tomorrow I'm watching my friend S's dd, L, who is ds's best friend. I'm going to make them pizza later, and I've taken out the pear sauce/pie filling out of the freezer and am going to make a pear pie. Bring on Autumn! Although it's likely to remain very hot for the foreseeable future, the next week's forecast is mostly below 90 for a change. 88, 87, 86, but BELOW 90. Finally I think the tide is turning. It's been relentlessly 90 since MAY, I kid you not. This is highly unusual for here-- and we haven't had rain in at least a month. Today is 60% chance-- and dang it, it's sunny out greensad.gif

#30 of 169 Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Oh, maia, I wish you were closer!  And your hair is loverly, mah dear. :-)

Clay-thanks for the mod-ly reminder. ;-)

I've a cranky preschooler, a 106 high for the day, said cranky butts last bball game, and a load of cleaning to do.  Started the day off right with a yoga class and a walk (indoors at the y, thankyouverymuch) ... My instructors choice of focus for the class was perfect.  It was all about the heat (and life) causing stress hormones in our bodies, leaving us with the fight-or-flight/sympathetic nervous response that doesn't kmnow when to shut down. Last night I bumped my van into my parents neighbors car, leaving a dent that will have to be repaired on their car and a rear light on my van that needs replacing.  Could have been worse, and they were very gracious about it, but I didn't realize till I got on the mat just how keyed up I still was.  Class helped a bit, though I might do some more grounding work later.  

I officially exhausted my local library's pagan type books a long time ago.  there is like, 3.  It's a small but wonderful little library that doesn't charge late fees so I hate going up to the bigger one a few minutes away.  I think I still owe them money from 3 years ago, lol.  I might need to though and check to see if they have cottage witchery.  Also a great one I got there years back called "Kitchen Witch" that I read before I even came to grips with fully leaving Christianity.  hm.

So anyway, much cleaning and dyeing yarn this weekend.

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page