What branch of Christianity is this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I was hoping that one of the knowledgeable mamas here could give me some insights:

http://www.mvcf.com/

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Just poking around their site, and the "Our Beliefs" page, I'd say an independant evangelical Protestant church.  They cover the basics of standard Christian theology, look like they have an "outreach" focus, possibly some social justice work, and probably have a band on stage rather than singing out of a hymnal. :)

Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Looks like a pretty basic evangelical non-denominational.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 AM

Non-demoninational, evangelical Protestant.

I say that based one:

Strong focus on individuals being saved by Jesus.

One of their pastors has a Baptist background, the rest do not say.

None say where they received their theological training, nor that they are ordained. This suggests that they are not a church with a hierarchy, but are independent

Several of the pastors credit the lead pastor with their teaching

Literalist interpretation of the Bible

All male leadership

I suspect, given the size of their pastoral core, that they're an evangelical mega -church.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, people. I though they were evangelical of some kind, but the fact they do not specify confused me.  

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Pentecostal, given their section on "speaking in tongues" on their "Beliefs" page. Also under "Salvation Issues" they mention being evangelical.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Not all charismatic (tongue speaking, hand raising, isle dancing etc) churches are Pentecostal.  There is a big difference in doctrine and belief.  Pentecostal is a very specific denomination.  But charismatic practices branch into almost every form of Christianity including the Catholic church (to a very very small degree)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List