Chrisitans I have a placenta question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a born again Christian and I am having my second child. I have heard amazing things about placenta encapsulation and it's effect on PPD (which runs in my family as well as other depressions). So it would seem beneficial for me.

I know we are not suppose to consume blood, so I am wondering if anyone could enlighten me on God's view of placenta consumption...(or the interpretation of..)

I mean I know there is blood in it, but I suppose because it's not fully blood...maybe it would be ok?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 36 Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lurk.gif   interesting question

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 36 Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Placentas are organs...meat...

Do you eat steak or liver or other similar things? To me there is no difference, shrug.gif  but that's just me, not necessarily a religious interpretation...

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 36 Old 09-05-2011, 07:05 PM

During my third pregnancy, I had a discussion with my midwives about the possibility of using placenta to treat heavy bleeding. I objected not because it contains blood, but because eating placenta would be eating human tissue, ie-technically cannibalism. They agreed to use other methods if it became necessary. However, I ended up in a lengthy discussion with one midwife, who was a Jehovah's Witness and did not accept blood transfusions, over whether placenta qualified as human flesh, and also over the blood issue. We took very different views on both questions.

Placenta does contain blood, and I'm not sure if you could consume placenta without ingesting blood. It seems clear to me that, if you object to consuming blood and/or human blood, placenta would not be acceptable. I think the only question would be whether it is justified in cases of medical need. 

#5 of 36 Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 PM

If the placenta is steamed or cooked and "bled", there likely is not much more blood than there would be in a steak or organ meat.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#6 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Don't understand...why can't you have the blood?

#7 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

It was my understanding that you are not to drink/consume blood of animals. Hadn't thought of the cannibalism thing...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#8 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Don't understand...why can't you have the blood?

I know a lot of xtians who eat rare, bloody meat. But yeah, I can see the cannibalism thing. Or would self-cannibalism not count?
#9 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

The cows are bled before they are butchered though...

#10 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM

OK, I understand that in Acts 15 in tell us to stay way from blood. But I don't think that has to do with "taking" the placenta. I think that has to do more with idols and worship.

Congrads!!!! on the coming baby.

#11 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I did figure that was more for worship type of things. I prayed about it but haven't gotten a real definitive answer (which God is usually very blunt with me b/c I need him to be LOL).

The only thing that did come to was the thought that it would be more of a gift from God for us to birth a placenta in order to consume and give ourselves back our lost nutrients and what not...but I can't say with certainty that thought came from Him b/c it was more of my own reasoning type thought.

#12 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Christians are to avoid meat that is dedicated to idol worship and avoid participating in eating that is associated with idol worship/any worship other than the One God Christians worship.

The "no blood" thing is an OT command, in the ceremonial/cleanliness category, and therefor for a Christian has been fulfilled through Christ's sacrifice.  Eating bloody meat is not in and of itself a sin, though some believe it is less healthy than eating kosher or halal meat.

Unless you're planning to involve some goddess worship along with ingesting the placenta, you'd be fine on the first front.lol.gif  And as to the second, you are not under ceremonial law as a Christian, so it's your choice as to whether you believe this would be a healthy and good thing for your body or not.

#13 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet TY for the info. any thoughts on the cannibalism thing? LOL

I told DH I really want to do it he thinks I am a total nut job now LOL He was like "DO NOT TELL ANYONE!" (he thinks they will think I am a psycho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Christians are to avoid meat that is dedicated to idol worship and avoid participating in eating that is associated with idol worship/any worship other than the One God Christians worship.

The "no blood" thing is an OT command, in the ceremonial/cleanliness category, and therefor for a Christian has been fulfilled through Christ's sacrifice.  Eating bloody meat is not in and of itself a sin, though some believe it is less healthy than eating kosher or halal meat.

Unless you're planning to involve some goddess worship along with ingesting the placenta, you'd be fine on the first front.lol.gif  And as to the second, you are not under ceremonial law as a Christian, so it's your choice as to whether you believe this would be a healthy and good thing for your body or not.

#14 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I am a Christian. I don't think eating your own placenta counts as cannibalism. It is your own tissue not someone else's. No-one (including you) is harmed by the removal of the placenta. You are not taking something from someone else without their permission.

sosurreal09 likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#15 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM

I think you've gotten your answer.. it's very funny to me, it never really even crossed my mind as a Christian.. I just figure it was another one of God's gifts for healing ourselves ;)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#16 of 36 Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. It's important to have input from you all! My Cristian friends/family would freak if I mentioned this (not very "crunchy" people...)

#17 of 36 Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I am a Christian. I don't think eating your own placenta counts as cannibalism. It is your own tissue not someone else's. No-one (including you) is harmed by the removal of the placenta. You are not taking something from someone else without their permission.

First, the placenta is not a woman's own tissue, but the baby's/fetus's.

Second, from a Christian (as opposed to secular legal) perspective, harming another or taking without permission is not the point. We are not allowed to eat human flesh even if it is from a person who has died of natural causes, or an amputated limb which is no longer wanted. The point is that eating human flesh is forbidden, regardless of how it is obtained. 

Placenta might, arguably, be exempt from this law for one reason or another, but the reason would not have to do with permission or causing harm.

#18 of 36 Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

That is a very good point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post

Second, from a Christian (as opposed to secular legal) perspective, harming another or taking without permission is not the point. We are not allowed to eat human flesh even if it is from a person who has died of natural causes, or an amputated limb which is no longer wanted. The point is that eating human flesh is forbidden, regardless of how it is obtained. 

Placenta might, arguably, be exempt from this law for one reason or another, but the reason would not have to do with permission or causing harm.

#19 of 36 Old 09-08-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Well, technically, the placenta is both. It arises from both foetal and maternal cells.

Regarding the consumption of human flesh, I thought the New Testament didn't mention it. I could certainly be wrong though. Could you point me in the direction of some verses, I'd like to read more.

#20 of 36 Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM

I don't know if it is specifically listed as a sin but I would not be comfortable with any other form of canibalism.  This is an organ that came out of my body.  It is mine or the baby's or both but no matter what, it is human organ meat.  Which makes it a no go for me.  I m pretty sure my church considers it a sin so regardless of what the Bible says I am comfortable in saying that this is not acceptable for me or my family.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#21 of 36 Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM

The placenta is made by the human body, but it's not really a body part... like milk, semen, dead skin cells, saliva, boogers, etc. Those all consist of human cells at least in part, but not something that's supposed to remain a part of you. If you considered placentophagy to be cannibalism, why wouldn't you consider your baby a cannibal if you breastfeed him?

#22 of 36 Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM

oh good point about the breastmilk.

I've mentioned encapsulating my placenta to multiple people at my church (some who are ordained) and no one said anything about it being sinful.. weird, yes, but sinful? no.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#23 of 36 Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 AM

I don't think it would be sinful, and can't think of a verse that you could use to convince me otherwise. 

The things listed in Acts 15 were forbidden because they were all associated with the way the new Christian Gentiles used to worship their gods and Paul wanted them to set themselves apart by abstaining from those things. 

Getting super legalistic about this kind of thing just doesn't fit into my theology though.  :)

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#24 of 36 Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

The placenta is made by the human body, but it's not really a body part... like milk, semen, dead skin cells, saliva, boogers, etc. Those all consist of human cells at least in part, but not something that's supposed to remain a part of you. If you considered placentophagy to be cannibalism, why wouldn't you consider your baby a cannibal if you breastfeed him?

This is why I thought eating placenta as cannibalism was borderline and arguable. It is a fully functioning human organ, but one which is intended to eventually be discarded.

I would certainly not place it in the same category as milk or dead skin, though. The placenta is a part of the fetal body which grows along with the fetus, keeps it alive throughout pregnancy, and functions in a complex way. It is not really the same as a secretion. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Well, technically, the placenta is both. It arises from both foetal and maternal cells.

Regarding the consumption of human flesh, I thought the New Testament didn't mention it. I could certainly be wrong though. Could you point me in the direction of some verses, I'd like to read more.

From what I learned of the early stages of pregnancy, the fetus and placenta develop together during the very earliest stages of embryonic development, beginning even before implantation. I may not remember the details correctly, but I thought the placenta was derived entirely from fetal cells. 

I am not aware of anything in the NT specifically on cannibalism. There are quite a few references from first and second century Christian writings that mention Christians considering the eating of human flesh or blood sinful. The subject came up a lot, because non-Christian sources sometimes accused Christians of practicing ritual cannibalism, due to a misunderstanding about the nature of Communion. Early authors mentioned that they not only didn't practice cannibalism in their services, but they despised the practice and avoided it. There seems to be no disagreement anywhere in early Church history. As far as Scriptural sources denouncing cannibalism, though, there may not be any. 

#25 of 36 Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:

From what I learned of the early stages of pregnancy, the fetus and placenta develop together during the very earliest stages of embryonic development, beginning even before implantation. I may not remember the details correctly, but I thought the placenta was derived entirely from fetal cells. 

The placenta does start to develop with the embryo before implantation. But, once implantation occurs, cells in the uterine wall begin to contribute to it's development and it becomes a joint project, as it were.

#26 of 36 Old 09-17-2011, 09:00 AM

NOT MAKING A "RULING" just was looking more into the question.

I was thinking about this question. I did a little "digging" in the bible and did come across Deuteronomy 28: 57 It is talking about eating the afterbirth because the woman is SO hungry! It is really the only think that I could find about what the "law" said about eat humans or the placenta.

I was going to w/my 1st and just never did. BUT maybe I will do it with this little surprise!

#27 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

CONGRATULATIONS NAZS MOM!

#28 of 36 Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

I think you've gotten your answer.. it's very funny to me, it never really even crossed my mind as a Christian.. I just figure it was another one of God's gifts for healing ourselves ;)

yeahthat.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMama View Post

Getting super legalistic about this kind of thing just doesn't fit into my theology though.  :)

and yeahthat.gif too, so take from my experience what you will, but because I didn't think twice about it,  I have been consuming bits of mine frozen in smoothies since my little one was born 5/31/11. God has been pretty consistently blunt with me too, so I know what you mean. :) I had a history of both ppd and fairly severe depression not related to ppd. I did NOT want to go down that path again, and was determined to do whatever it took to avoid that this time around. I can tell you that I never once felt any sort of conviction for doing it - my conscience couldn't be more clear. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been able to do anything questionable without some level of guilt. Nothing I read in any of my or my hubby's Biblical research led us to feel it was sinful or something we shouldn't be doing, as we read the passages. I *have* gotten a lot of "Hooookaaaay.... that's ONE way to go!" type comments from the few in my circle who know I'm doing it, but no talk of sin or offense to God - though honestly I have kept it fairly quiet. Why flip people out unnecessarily? But I wouldn't deny it if asked either. I think my mom was a little taken aback, but hey, she's the Seventies Hippie Christian Earth Mother (I know many would feel that's some kind of oxymoron, haha!) that raised me as a crunchy Christian! I just keep taking it farther than she did.

And there is NO question as to it's effectiveness for me. Two days post-partum I could feel myself getting a little "bluesy". By the fourth day, I was a MESS, just a pile of snot and tears. I got my poor hubby to make me a smoothie and within two hours I was right back on my feet again. And that's what I've done, just used one (ice cube sized) chunk whenever I had a day where I felt my grip slipping. Nearly instant relief every time. It's been absolutely worth it.

THOUGH... I just got home and the part I had frozen but not cut up that I envisioned encapsulating seems to be a bit defrosted bc my dd1 failed to close the freezer door all the way before I left! Not sure what I'll do with it now, thinking of going ahead and drying or cooking it and then refreezing it. My hubby had a hard time with prepping it for me, so I did most of it. He said the smell overwhelmed him, but oddly enough I couldn't smell it at all! So I cleaned and prepped the rest of it myself after that first smoothie and it took a *really* really long time to rinse all the blood away. But it did finally rinse clean enough for me. I wasn't terribly concerned about the blood as far as consumption goes, it just seemed like the thing to do.. And .... it was cool. It made me wish I had prepped it ALL myself, and I kind of regretted not really examining it (just for the "far out" factor) before we did any cutting. I had thought about doing a print, and I didn't... now I wish I had.

So just my $1.50! Hope it helps. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#29 of 36 Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

CONGRATULATIONS NAZS MOM!

Thanks!

#30 of 36 Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

What's this "cannibalism is forbidden" thing? I can't think of it being mentioned at all in the Bible (beyond that Deuteronomy reference, where it's mentioned in the context of murder plus cannibalism). As a Christian I'd have no MORAL problem even with eating the flesh of another person (a la the plane crash in the Andes). A very strong squeamishness/health problem with it, sure; I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it. But "God wouldn't want me to eat human flesh" just would not register as an objection. It's not forbidden. It's not mentioned. And I'm Protestant, so the objections of early Christians to the practice don't hold weight in and of themselves (although if their arguments were sound, the arguments would).

I capsulised the placenta with both pregnancies. I think it helped more the first time, but DH burnt it the second time! :p It wasn't particularly bloody; no more so than meat. I'm not convinced the bit about abstaining from blood is relevant to all Christians in any case; it seems like it was in the context of idol worship, as PPs have said. But all commercial meat is bled to some extent anyway, so unless you're into black pudding, surely it's not an issue?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page