Anyone find the Shack totally disterbing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A friend gave me the book called the Shack. She said it was really touching and beautiful. So I read a bunch of it and it totally sickened me with the whole abduction thing and murder. I just can't read any further. So I guess it is supposed to be better as I read on, but I just can't as it was so disturbing. Anyone else felt this way? Is the rest of the book worth finishing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

YES! I could not get past that part. It is way to heart breaking. But I do have a friend that found it very up lifting. I don't see it.

#3 of 17 Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, it is worth reading the rest.

I almost couldn't make it through the backstory myself ... I read that part and had a horrible nightmare about my DD, who was around the girl's age at that time.  I put it aside for a few days, then read on because I had heard so many great things about the book.  I was glad I did.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#4 of 17 Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)

The writer finds resolution, so in a way, I think that once you START reading it, you might want to finish it because I suspect that you will end up feeling better if you read through how he makes peace.

swede likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 17 Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM

The beginning was very disturbing for me--yet I did keep going, and I'm not sorry I did.  At least allow yourself to get to the point where he gets to "the shack".  There's many things I loved about that portion of the book--although I'm not sure I'd classify it as a great. book. :)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#6 of 17 Old 09-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Have you read it yet?

I have mixed feelings about this book, but for a different reason I will explain later. For me, it was worth the read in the end. But if it is too disturbing for you, then it is too disturbing. It isn't required reading haha. Child abuse and murder happens every day, as much as I don't want to dwell on that. One of the greatest questions the human soul wrestles with is, "how could God allow this? Does God even give a damn?". That's what this book is about.

I personally get very affected by movies, Hotel Rwanda left me sick to my stomach and messed up for days. But I would still watch it again and recommend people to try to stomach it, because it's a true story. We are all humans on this journey of life together.

Call me callous but my critique of the book is that while I love that God defied his expectations (and presents Itself as a woman! Sorry if I gave it away but I knew you would love that part and it might affect your decision to read it or not), it is basically evangelical theology rehashed. I just don't have much patience for evangelicalism these days since I was one hehe.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#7 of 17 Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post

Have you read it yet?

I have mixed feelings about this book, but for a different reason I will explain later. For me, it was worth the read in the end. But if it is too disturbing for you, then it is too disturbing. It isn't required reading haha. Child abuse and murder happens every day, as much as I don't want to dwell on that. One of the greatest questions the human soul wrestles with is, "how could God allow this? Does God even give a damn?". That's what this book is about.

I personally get very affected by movies, Hotel Rwanda left me sick to my stomach and messed up for days. But I would still watch it again and recommend people to try to stomach it, because it's a true story. We are all humans on this journey of life together.

Call me callous but my critique of the book is that while I love that God defied his expectations (and presents Itself as a woman! Sorry if I gave it away but I knew you would love that part and it might affect your decision to read it or not), it is basically evangelical theology rehashed. I just don't have much patience for evangelicalism these days since I was one hehe.

I liked some of what the author was trying to do but I had huge issues with his theology - not seeing God as feminine - I loved that! - but his ideas about why this little girl had to suffer like she did. I would never recommend this book because that kind of theology is something I just can't get behind.

#8 of 17 Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Yeah, and the essential answer the book forces to is that it is ok to not know the answers, to just trust that God is good. I tried to believe that for a very long time, but it is just not such a simple answer for the human soul. I appreciate that it goes farther than most "Christian" books would dare to go to try to be real about all the emotions and anguish getting to that answer, but it is still a pat answer in the end. 

So my review is "missed the mark but might be worth the read for educational purposes (it is an easy read...I finished it in one afternoon) if you can stomach the girl's story.".

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#9 of 17 Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 AM

Yeah, I did read it all the way thru and of coarse I found it disturbing, I still read it. I agree with Shantimama tho about the theology. I dont necessarily agree with all of the author's personal convictions about God, Jesus and the Gospel, but I did find the book very moving. It was a very emotional book, thats for sure.

#10 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM

I found the abduction and murder upsetting as well. I skipped it as best i could. The only reason I actually finished the book is a friend gave me the book and she is not a close enough friend for me to honestly tell her I didn't want to read it. She was so convinced the book would inspire and help me - I read the rest of it.   It's been a while but from what I recall - I found the actual style of  writing rather uninspiring.  And for someone approaching the book as a person who believes in some sort of Divine force or forces powering the universe but does not subscribe to the Christian viewpoint  - i didn't find the book helpful or interesting.   Okay, so the author made God a black woman. Whoopee.  I haven't ever felt that a "Father" and "Son" were co-piloting our Earth on their own so this inclusive writing wasn't revolutionary, for me.   If this is your viewpoint, then perhaps the book will help you. For me -   I just felt I was reading a book (a SWEET LOVING BOOK , yes) based on a form of Christian thought written by a Christian author. The content didn't connect with  me in any way at all. 

#11 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM

I found int seriously disturbing.  My mother (Roman Catholic) gave it to me I believe to encourage me in christianity.  I DO NOT discuss religion with my mother as I am firmly in the Pagan camp.   I read the book not knowing what it was supposed to be and was sickened and seriously disturbed by it.  The whole basis ofthe book seemed to be life should be shiny and happy even tho your child was kidnapped and murdered.  I did finish it because I kept hoping it would have a point and from my viewpoint it never did.  I have met some chrisitans who were seriously amazed by this book but after I read it I had to reread the Harry Potter series to get the yuck I felt out of my mind.  I really had a hard time even looking at my mom for awhile after that.

Whole point apparently this book is awesome for some people but I found the message horrific and honestly as a voracious reader I thought the writing was of poor quality as well.  If you finish I suggest having a good comedy or something ready when you are done. just my 2 cents

Amy

NC momma to two lil monkeys

Trying to be a gardener and a candle maker at heart

#12 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy M View Post

The whole basis ofthe book seemed to be life should be shiny and happy even tho your child was kidnapped and murdered.

That wasn't the point at all, though I guess a non-Christian might see it that way.  The point was that the beauty of God will always surpass the darkness of evil, and that God in His fullness (The Trinity) is always there to see us through our trials even if we can't make sense of them ourselves.

We have to choose that faith, though.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#13 of 17 Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy M View Post

I found int seriously disturbing.  My mother (Roman Catholic) gave it to me I believe to encourage me in christianity.  I DO NOT discuss religion with my mother as I am firmly in the Pagan camp.   I read the book not knowing what it was supposed to be and was sickened and seriously disturbed by it.  The whole basis ofthe book seemed to be life should be shiny and happy even tho your child was kidnapped and murdered.  I did finish it because I kept hoping it would have a point and from my viewpoint it never did.  I have met some chrisitans who were seriously amazed by this book but after I read it I had to reread the Harry Potter series to get the yuck I felt out of my mind.  I really had a hard time even looking at my mom for awhile after that.

Whole point apparently this book is awesome for some people but I found the message horrific and honestly as a voracious reader I thought the writing was of poor quality as well.  If you finish I suggest having a good comedy or something ready when you are done. just my 2 cents

Give your Mom the book "The Moon Under Her Feet." :)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#14 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

Give your Mom the book "The Moon Under Her Feet." :)

What is that book about?

So, I still havent read the rest of the Shack. I am glad to hear that it just wasn't me that thought the book beginning was off. I have struggled with God lately so not sure if the book will be of help or not. Question about the book- after the whole death thing, does the rest of the book visit that story much?
#15 of 17 Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM

It does revisit her death throughout the story, though not the grim details. More just his thoughts and feelings, which just become fuzzier as the story goes on.

#16 of 17 Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM

I guess the other reason I kinda support the book is to be against my favorite evangelical to dislike, Mark Driscoll. His critique of the book is that it's goddess worship because God is a woman and we worship a Father/male God, and it's egalitarian which we can't have, surely God the Father is in charge there at the Trinity. Blah haha.

CarenSwan likes this.

#17 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM

I read the book (very much skimming the beginning, as I had been warned) and found it to have some stuff that I liked.  I grew up Evangelical, and while I am still a deeply committed Christian, I have moved far beyond what Evangelicalism stands for.  So I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I *did* like of his theology, though, as previous posters have said, it doesn't reflect my own.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's a great book for pushing Evangelical Christians to think outside the box, and possibly helpful for others to be encouraged in how much God loves them, but beyond that, I don't really recommend it to people.  It's not very well written (it was self-published by a "non-professional writer) but it has some good little nuggets.  I know some people for whom it changed their world (in a good way.)  I personally did not find it earth-shattering, though I did have fun thinking about all those conservative evangelicals getting their undies in a twist about God being represented as a large African-American woman!  (Bring it ON, Mark Driscoll!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page