Question for Catholics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My family is Catholic -- my mom and her siblings went to Catholic school through high school, were confirmed, the whole nine yards. However, I was never baptized and was raised mostly without religion (we went to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but that was about it). 

So today I went to a mission with my DD and we walked through the church as part of our tour. As we walked in, I dipped my fingers in the holy water and crossed myself because it would have felt disrespectful not to, but then I wondered if it's actually wrong for me, as a person without faith, to participate in such ceremony. I also thought of lighting a candle for my late grandmother, who was Catholic, but wondered whether that was appropriate as well, and decided not to after all. 

So anyway, I thought I'd just ask -- is it okay for me to do those things when I visit a church, or should I leave those rituals for actual Catholics to do? 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 10 Old 09-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I say-"Do it!" You shouldn't take communion but go ahead with the other stuff. :)

#3 of 10 Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM

It's fine. I asked similar questions of both priests and RCIA directors when I was discerning and was told that as a non Catholic I could participate in everything but the Eucharist. So cross yourself with holy water, get your throat blessed on Saint Blaise day and receive ashes it's fine. 

#4 of 10 Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! smile.gif

So, one more question: Is there a particular way you're supposed to light a candle in a Catholic church? Is there a ceremony about it, or just light it and that's that? 

#5 of 10 Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Generally you would light it and then say a prayers for you intention....  can be as simple as "I hope your well Grandma."   There is no particular ritual.

PP's are correct you may participate in everything except for taking communion....  my father has gone to mass with my mother for the last 30 years.... he isn't Catholic... and I don't know that he will ever become one either.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#6 of 10 Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Ofwait! smile.gif

#7 of 10 Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The sign of the cross is a prayer.  Lighting a candle is a prayer.   It is never wrong to pray :)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 10 Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 AM

When we bless ourselves with holy water and cross ourselves, we are invoking the Holy Trinity. We are reminded of our baptism in Christ, and our commitment to follow Christ. I would say that it is not disrespectful to not do these things if one is not of the faith.

As for lighting a candle, it is a prayerful act and a lovely gesture to do in remembrance of the departed souls.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#9 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well we went again today, and this time I crossed myself, lit a candle, and spent a moment thinking of my grandmother and everything she meant to me. It was nice -- thanks for all the replies! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post

When we bless ourselves with holy water and cross ourselves, we are invoking the Holy Trinity. We are reminded of our baptism in Christ, and our commitment to follow Christ. I would say that it is not disrespectful to not do these things if one is not of the faith.

I agree, and that's why I have conflicted feelings about it. I feel like, if my grandmother were living and she and I went to church together, she would be upset if I were to walk past the holy water without crossing myself, so instead of doing it as a personal prayer or commitment to Christ, it's more a deference to my grandmother's memory and beliefs. Not really the pure intention of the sign of the cross, but it's what felt right to me today. 

#10 of 10 Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Well we went again today, and this time I crossed myself, lit a candle, and spent a moment thinking of my grandmother and everything she meant to me. It was nice -- thanks for all the replies!  

I agree, and that's why I have conflicted feelings about it. I feel like, if my grandmother were living and she and I went to church together, she would be upset if I were to walk past the holy water without crossing myself, so instead of doing it as a personal prayer or commitment to Christ, it's more a deference to my grandmother's memory and beliefs. Not really the pure intention of the sign of the cross, but it's what felt right to me today. 

That's beautiful:)

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page