~October Pagan Parents Circle~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm doing a Harvest Tea for my girlfriends this Sunday. Sausage quiche, biscuits and maybe some root veggie soup in tiny carved pumpkins. can you tell I've got the Sunset magazine cover in front of me? For decoration, fall mums and maybe a few colorful leaves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostI want to learn about runes... My family comes from the north of France, in an area where it's very likely that our ancestors were Viking... I want to learn more... Thor's movie sparked DS's interrest for the subject (lol!) so this becomes a mother/son project. :-)

This is a really cool site: http://www.mystic-mouse.co.uk/Runes/Runehome.htm

I don't know much of anything about Runes, but one year at PSG I got a REALLY cool set from Roberta Stewart, the widow of fallen soldier Patrick Stewart, who was the first (I believe) to get his pentacle on his gravestone. I very highly value this Rune set even though I don't know much about how to use them. When I get in the mood (or remember, LOL) I draw one a day and look it up on this site. It helps to remember them a little bit if I only do one at a time.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Maia- I'm glad the doc visit went well!  I hope things continue like that.  :)  For the turkey... just check the wrapper.  A lot of conventional birds will have been treated with broth or flavoring or something equally ugh because it makes the meat "juicy/tender" even if it gets overbaked or whatever.  Almost every store bought turkey will have a 1-800 number on it though and it's easy to find out what was used.  And there are certainly brands that don't add anything though these often cost a bit more and they can be a bit twitchier to cook well.

ktg-

1.5 cups flour

1 cup sugar

2 tsp baking pwdr

.5 tsp salt

.25 tsp cinnamon

.25 tsp nutmeg

2 large eggs at room temp

.25 cup veggie oil

.5 cup milk of choice (soy, cow, rice, nut, etc)

preheat to 350, mix dry ingredients in one bowl & wet ingredients in another (whisk till smooth), add dry to wet ingredients and combine well.  Fill donut baking pans with dough (you can use muffin tins or mini bundt pans too) and bake ~15 minutes/clean toothpick test.  Remove from oven and dredge through spiced sugar (.5 cup sugar, 2tsp cinnamon, .5tsp nutmeg, pinch of salt, dash of clove) while donut is still warm.  Makes 8-10 depending on the size of the donut pan.

Harvest tea- that sounds beautiful and so much fun!

Craziness- DH picked the girls up from afterschool yesterday but had to go back to the lab with them.  It was supposed to be a quick "ten minute" sort of visit but it turned out that the support staff hadn't prepped anything.  I had ds and the babe from 2pm-a few minutes past 8pm and since dh was bringing home dinner it was an extra long wait.  Of course, dh had both dd1 and dd2 at his lab from 5:30-7:30 so it wasn't giggles and games for him either.  Though apparently the girls had fun eating dinner out of a vending machine and playing Sesame Street games on one of the computers there.  In fact, dd1 asked this morning if they could do it again!  LOL

dok- thinking of you sweetie!  Hope you're resting easy and feeling fine!

runes/Asatru- There is a facebook page for Temple of Our Heathen Gods that has a section devoted to child friendly books, tools, rituals, and stories related to Asatru and Idavelli Hof has another kiddo friendly collection of resources.  I think the Hof has a link to the Viking Answer Lady, but if not, she rocks!  Anything and everything Norse... she has it covered.  It's a fabulous resource for anyone (it's a secular/scholarly type site) who wants to know about the vikings/their world.  Oh, and there is a fun Samhain craft in Celebrating the Great Mother that makes runes from beans... later in the year you plant specific runes to grow that attribute.  With Samhain coming right up that could be a nice craft!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View PostSausage quiche

yummy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- I'm glad the doc visit went well!  I hope things continue like that.  :)  For the turkey... just check the wrapper.  A lot of conventional birds will have been treated with broth or flavoring or something equally ugh because it makes the meat "juicy/tender" even if it gets overbaked or whatever.  Almost every store bought turkey will have a 1-800 number on it though and it's easy to find out what was used.  And there are certainly brands that don't add anything though these often cost a bit more and they can be a bit twitchier to cook well.

That donut recipe sounds yummy and amazing! I think I will try to bake some for ds's Halloween party, or maybe just for him. The school Halloween party I'd have to like quadruple it! Plus...no donut thingies; I'd have to do them in muffin tins, which, what, do they come out like donut-flavored blobs, then? lol.gif

Turkey: I want a bone-in turkey breast. JUST a turkey breast. No "turkey roll", no boneless. A real, honest-to-goodness turkey breast. I will have to keep checking. The Walmart site said my store has it, but they don't. I checked the ingredients online and it says "Turkey". Yay!

Dr visit: One can hope. M still has a huge mental stigma (against mental health meds, go figure eyesroll.gif). I hold out hope, though. He has had a couple of really clear, focused days at work. Yay again!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Also, I have been on a cooking binge today. I am in the next phase of the diet, where I am allowed to eat again! Woohoo! I haven't even gone over daily calorie allotment and I feel like I've eaten a whole horse. Yikes.

But anyway, I wanted to cook some things ahead of time, for ease. I made a meat sauce. DS can have it with spaghetti. I will eat it from a bowl, or with zucchini "noodles". I can't have spaghetti squash just yet. I made a mini meat loaf with the other half of the ground beef. I pulled leftover pork roast out of the freezer from last time I was on this phase, and separated the meat out. I made 4 chicken legs, and have two left over (one each for ds and one for me-- ds had also quinoa and broccoli, and I had broccoli).

I put the bones from the pork roast and the chicken legs in the crock pot and am attempting my first bone broth.

Did I make anything else? headscratch.gif I forgot.

Friday, if I'm in the mood, I may attempt those donuts. I found 3 metal Christmas tins at the Goodwill for 50c each to give away treats in for the holiday season. I was going to just do chocolate chip cookies, but I may do brownies and if those donuts freeze well, I may include some of those. Or maybe fudge. I don't know that I'd be safe around fudge, so maybe not. I am wanting to get all that stuff done ahead of time!

Speaking of Christmas-- my mom's 75th birthday is December 12th. My brother wants to do a big hoopla, but maybe not till summer, to give family time to gather and make plans and not have to drive down to VaBeach in the cold months. So what he is thinking is to distract my mom by having a family dinner at Christmas time, just him, his two dd's, me, my ds, and Mom's boyfriend. I haven't seen my brother or his girls in years for Christmas-- which means, getting extra gifts. I have NO idea what to get them. My brother has buttloads of money and has everything he could possibly need. His two dd's are 17 and 22 and spoiled rotten. They have everything they need or want, too. I remember one year his younger dd, 13 at the time, raked in SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS in addition to the huge living-room-floorful of presents. And she didn't even-- it didn't faze her at all. She was happy, but she wasn't surprised or amazed. I usually send them a small gift card to like Starbucks or a movie or Burger King or something. But I feel like if we're there, I should get physical things. What can I get them that looks nice but doesn't cost much? I got them books one year...but honestly, I don't think they read. Unless it's online. And not literature. Gah. Maybe I should make them a tinful of cookies.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Harvest Tea sounds like a lot of fun!  I hope you go for the root veggie soup in pumpkins that sounds awesome.

ktg, when you make those donuts will you send me one?  hahaha.  They sound soooooooo tasty but I just can't bake anything that doesn't come out of a box.  Isn't that terrible?  I have the worst luck - or skills, whichever.  They say that baking is like chemistry, right?  Well, I'm no chemist.  I can cook with the best of them, I suppose, but I don't tend to use exact measurements : thus my downfall in baking.  haha! 

I dislike the "blood kin or legally married" rule if someone wants another party to be able to advocate for them.  I dislike that you have to pay $120 for a phone call to get an Rx, Clay.  I think both are poop.  I am, however, very GLAD to hear that M's appt went well and that things are looking up there. 

redveg: whatever you did to have the kids enjoy hanging at your home, it's just wonderful. I hope we can replicate that vibe here. 

Romantics (British Literature wise, I'm talking here) included are : Mary Shelley's husband, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron, Keats, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Thomas Love Peacock (little known but truly dry and witty).  They all went on long "walkabouts" through Europe, waxing poetic about nature and the spirits therein.  blah, blah, blah.  I don't feel I can adequately sum an entire literary period adequately here, of course. I've heard that Frankenstein was written at the home of Lord Byron.  He, Mary Shelley, and PB Shelley and others that were staying there decided they were going to have a contest on who could write the best ghost story.  I believe my prof. said they may have all been sitting around smoking opium, at the time, too.  I can't remember, perfectly clearly, though so don't quote me on it. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 AM

Good Day Mamas!

Working to get back into the routine of checking in with MDC daily.

Replying so that I'm subscribed & can come back and catch up with everyone later....

Maryhippie.gif

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Hey ladies for anyone who is not following MrsB on Facebook (which is where I saw this!), there's an opinion piece which she's posted a link to which is just - well words escape me on how to describe it (see the emoticon below).  It is just a bizzare bashing/mashing of Pagan (without proper capitalization) beliefs & Halloween, which apparently are "filling" a faith vacuum in the US. 

The article makes me just soapbox.gif

But the comments are making me just joy.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have the Book Lover's Cookbook... it matches books with recipes (and Oyster dish with the Walrus and the Carpenter, Peach Cobbler for James and the Giant Peach, Multigrain Bread for Les Miserables, and so on).  They don't really covere the Romantics though but it would be a fun meal to plan!  Sort of a cross between decadent and proper.  Maybe traditional tea time dishes but with heavy spices and lots of cream?

Actually, Laia went to her Girl Scout halloween party dressed as the Green Fairy.  LOL  Well, not "the" green fairy, just a fairy who happens to be green, but DH and I were amused.  (Green Fairy= absinthe, a drink not unknown to the Romantics, the movie Moulin Rouge had a lot about that).

movie- Watched the Book of Eli... if you like post-apoc tales I can give this one a thumbs up.  Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman lead an interesting cast (not just good good bad bad but some actual depth), glorious visuals and camera angles, excellent fight sequences, and a plot that is essentially a mash of Farenheight 451, Mad Max, and Canticle for Leibowitz.  There are some plot hole big enough to drive a bus through, and some elements that seemed to have been part of plot lines that were edited out so they made no sense, but overall a lot of fun.  And the reason this applies to Spirituality?  Like Canticle for Leibowitz, the whole story is driven by half forgotten religion and the power of print.  Without spoiling the plot, after the War the survivors blamed religion and burned all the religious books.  Washington's character has what he believes to be the last copy of the bible and he roams the country looking for a place where it will be safe.  Oldman's character is planning some empire building and he is obsessed with finding a bible since "the words in that book" will give him the power to create/control civilization.  It's a fairly common theme in the genre, but well done in the film.  Plus, I looooooove Oldman.  :)  He may not be eye candy but dude, can he ever act!  lol

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

It did, I think. His Lithium levels were too high, so she bumped them down a bit, and the other one she wants upped in a week, but he should take it much earlier, like right after work. And the 3rd one needs to be split, not taken all at once like he's been doing.

I can't have permission for her to talk to me unless I'm blood kin, or legally married greensad.gif

He says he's been focusing at work lots better lately thumb.giforngbiggrin.gif

Good news:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post

Good Day Mamas!

Replying so that I'm subscribed & can come back and catch up with everyone later....

Hey Maryorngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Hey ladies for anyone who is not following MrsB on Facebook (which is where I saw this!), there's an opinion piece which she's posted a link to which is just - well words escape me on how to describe it (see the emoticon below).  It is just a bizzare bashing/mashing of Pagan (without proper capitalization) beliefs & Halloween, which apparently are "filling" a faith vacuum in the US. 

Love Mrs. B:)  I read this article, total poop.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Love Mrs. B:)  I read this article, total poop.

yeahthat.gif x 1,000,000  orngbiggrin.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks for sharing the article, ktg.  I saw Mrs. B had it posted this AM but was in a whirlwind.  Zang! on the comments!!  thumb.gif

clay: the thought of a Romantics dinner would be SO FUN.  Which brings me FAR out of the closet as a big ol' English nerd.  I can only imagine it either in some castle on a hill or in a meadow some where with (thanks wordsworth) daffodils abounding.  A long walk about where we unwrap our picnic and then write a poem about the breeze on the wrappers.  ha.  I love the idea of the Book Lovers Cookbook.  I'll have to check that out!! 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostThey sound soooooooo tasty but I just can't bake anything that doesn't come out of a box.  Isn't that terrible?  I have the worst luck - or skills, whichever.  They say that baking is like chemistry, right?  Well, I'm no chemist.  I can cook with the best of them, I suppose, but I don't tend to use exact measurements : thus my downfall in baking.  haha! 

I dislike the "blood kin or legally married" rule if someone wants another party to be able to advocate for them.  I dislike that you have to pay $120 for a phone call to get an Rx, Clay.  I think both are poop.  I am, however, very GLAD to hear that M's appt went well and that things are looking up there. 

I've heard that Frankenstein was written at the home of Lord Byron.  He, Mary Shelley, and PB Shelley and others that were staying there decided they were going to have a contest on who could write the best ghost story.  I believe my prof. said they may have all been sitting around smoking opium, at the time, too.  I can't remember, perfectly clearly, though so don't quote me on it. 

Sure you can, vydalea. If you want to learn, and do it right, follow the recipes exactly for awhile. Later, when you get good, you can fiddle with the measurements.

Yeah, I dislike it really much, too. I *am* the  next of kin and he has me down everywhere, including at her office, as such. M had bloodwork today to confirm Lithium toxicity. We'll see, but that's why the dr. ordered the test, to make sure.

And $120 for a phone call?? Absurd.

Frankenstein-- Mary and Percy Shelley, Byron, and Byron's...I don't know what you'd call him...they spent the summer at Byron's "cottage" in Switzerland (in quotes because it was likely a small mansion) doing opium and laudanum and absinthe, and they did indeed have that contest...while hallucinating wildly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View PostGood Day Mamas!

Yay!!! Welcome back! I miss everybody on here. I hope people come back here. I'm not a fan of FB for people I know elsewhere (like here). I like this forum for what it is, and the format it's in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostHey ladies for anyone who is not following MrsB on Facebook (which is where I saw this!), there's an opinion piece which she's posted a link to which is just - well words escape me on how to describe it (see the emoticon below).  It is just a bizzare bashing/mashing of Pagan (without proper capitalization) beliefs & Halloween, which apparently are "filling" a faith vacuum in the US. 

Who the heck is MrsB? Going to check link now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostDenzel Washington and Gary Oldman lead an interesting cast

Oh, I love them! And that book club sounds so fun. I love books with recipes. OMG, a local author here-- y'all have GOT to check her out!!! Her name is Sarah Addison Allen. She's written 4 books and they all have a particular magic in them, AND food...so fun!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM

Thank you for the links on Runes and Asatru!

No time for more...

Valérie   
Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

cookbook- The Book Lover's Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Celebrated Works of Literature and the Passages the Feature Them (compiled by Wenger & Jensen).  It's fun, but honestly a cookbook I browse more than use.  The Hocus Pocus Magical Cookbook: More than 50 Delicious Recipes with Secret Ingredients for Wizards and Kids is another fun (literature and experiment filled) book that rocks the world of kids cooking.  It has science and math experiments, spells and potions, and a great layout (I use the "magic spinners" myself... they give flavor matches and stuff like that).  Full Moon Feast (seasonal/traditional foods), Cooking by the Seasons (seasonal/vegetarian with menus for each Sabbat), and Cooking Like a Goddess (seasonal/vegetarian with kitchen based rituals) are my pagan go-to books and Family Feasts for $75 a Week is great for budgeting.

phone fees- yeah, it stinks.  Since we pay OOP, the $120 is the "base fee" for contacting the doctor.  I can call the nurse with a general question for free (like "my fever is X, should I come in? or DD1 has a funky rash, should I worry?), but if they "do anything" (like write a 'script or refer dd1 for lab work or whatever) that's $120 for the consultation with the cost of the service on top of that.  I'm not sure if I actually have a doctor though... I'm listed as a patient, but "our" doctor left the practice so I don't have a relationship with any of the doctors.  I'm in good with the office staff though!  LOL

next of kin- is there some sort of legal form you guys could use?  Like a medical power of attorney or living will that would give some access?  He should be able to request a copy of his medical records to share with you, and then "invite" you to attend appointments... I know DH can't ask my dad's doctors for my dad's chart, but he CAN talk with the doctors about my dad's care and attend appointments with him since my dad said it was ok.  Maybe a conference call?  That way you're there "with" your guy but can still talk with the doctor?

eggs- I found a nifty recipe that uses 40 eggs!  It's Martha Washington's favorite "great cake" and the folks at Mt Vernon have the recipe posted (or search Martha Washington great cake on google... even Martha Stewart has done it on her show).  Our hens are laying 45-50 eggs/week so I've been recipe hunting and this one seems like a winner.  LOL  It's a fruity boozey sort of thing so I'll probably make it for Winter Solstice gifts.  We usually make the Alton Brown fruitcake, and might make that too, but 40 eggs?  Perfect!

weather- really autumnal around here and I LOVE it.  :)  rain and wind and flying leaves.  Yum!

life- still trying to find a rhythm for the day.  Things get out of control so fast.  One minute everyone is fine, then whammo!  Poop dipes and bleeding scrapes and black eyes and pulled hair and squished pets and who knows what else!  I hate feeling like the grinch, but I seriously dread the kids acting like kids these days because of that "sudden fail" factor.  I asked dh the other day if we could build a bounce house off the kid's room window so I could just throw them in there and let them loose.  It'll get better, but right now I seem to be lacking my muchness, to borrow a line from Tim Burton's Alice.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Postnext of kin- is there some sort of legal form you guys could use?  Like a medical power of attorney or living will that would give some access?  He should be able to request a copy of his medical records to share with you, and then "invite" you to attend appointments... I know DH can't ask my dad's doctors for my dad's chart, but he CAN talk with the doctors about my dad's care and attend appointments with him since my dad said it was ok.  Maybe a conference call?  That way you're there "with" your guy but can still talk with the doctor?

That is freaking crazy about the $120. I'd balk so badly.

No...I don't know. M is rather a procrastinator and a "I got it" sort of guy (when he really doesn't; that is just his way of shutting down the conversation). I'm sure he CAN get med records for me, but that wouldn't do much; he already attaches all copies of important papers to emails and sends them to me. I could go to appts with him if he had any while I was there.

And I know I can always say whatever I want to his doctor-- she just can't admit he's her patient and would have to sit there stony-faced while I prattle, kwim? Like-- I have had friends with kids who also see ds's psychologist. She can't, because of HIPAA, admit to anything. But I remember once, saying, "I know X is a patient of yours, and I know you can't say so. But X's mom told me blah blah blah" and she just basically nodded at me.

I don't really need to say anything to Dr.H. unless M gets belligerent and 2nd-gradish on me lol.gif I basically use it as a threat to get him to comply with important doctor things. That I will call her and tattle on him, on her voice mail. Mostly I just have to say "Directive", like Eve in Wall-e, to get him to take me seriously winky.gif

I so wish we lived near you. We eat a lot of eggs! I would love to take them off your hands!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM

Quick update:  The actual surgery went well but the anesthesiologist was horrible.  My doc was appalled.  I was given too much anesthesia because the anesthesiologist couldn't get my body to relax enough to get me intubated.  She ended up cramming the tube down my throat...causing damage.

I'm having bad whole body pain (muscular).  It feels like I got hit by a car.  I really hurt.  I developed a cough (which could be from intubation) and the coughing gives me the most sharp, severe pain in the ribs/chest.  It's BAD.  I'm on constant vicodin (it's the only way I don't cry out in pain.)

I had to send my sister home because she has a cough.  I may have caught her cough.

I'm feeling sad that my uterus is gone.  It has served me well (gave me my one and only child.)  I get weepy on and off about it.

Ok, that's the condensed version.  Time for more vicodin before bed.

Thanks for all the thoughts!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I'm doing a Harvest Tea for my girlfriends this Sunday. Sausage quiche, biscuits and maybe some root veggie soup in tiny carved pumpkins. can you tell I've got the Sunset magazine cover in front of me? For decoration, fall mums and maybe a few colorful leaves.

This sounds like a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

cookbook- The Book Lover's Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Celebrated Works of Literature and the Passages the Feature Them (compiled by Wenger & Jensen).  It's fun, but honestly a cookbook I browse more than use.  The Hocus Pocus Magical Cookbook: More than 50 Delicious Recipes with Secret Ingredients for Wizards and Kids is another fun (literature and experiment filled) book that rocks the world of kids cooking.  It has science and math experiments, spells and potions, and a great layout (I use the "magic spinners" myself... they give flavor matches and stuff like that).  Full Moon Feast (seasonal/traditional foods), Cooking by the Seasons (seasonal/vegetarian with menus for each Sabbat), and Cooking Like a Goddess (seasonal/vegetarian with kitchen based rituals) are my pagan go-to books and Family Feasts for $75 a Week is great for budgeting.

I'm definitely writing these down.  I have a cookbook affinity and there are at least a couple of the ones on your list that I would enjoy.  Oh, but FMF...I *love* FMF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Being out - I'm on a small AP board and someone posted about Halloween. I was about to write about my family's spiritual take on the day but a Christian was very vocal about her view. Made me feel very vulnerable and I opt not to out myself there.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I've found that Christians tend to stick their foot in their mouth as they often speak without thinking (and assume that everyone already agrees with them or comes from the same perspective).  I can understand not wanting to be open after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Who else needed Book of Shadows? Pampered? Was it you? Or redveg? I found one at Goodwill today and picked it up. I'll be happy to send and y'all can send it on when you're done. I already have one (autographed smile.gif)

That would be me.  :0)  I'm impressed with your Goodwill find.  I'd totally PP you the shipping cost.

We're crafting up a storm here which is a bit unusual.  It's been fun to spend time with the kids preparing for Samhain.  I'm still trying to make plans for the family aside from our usual Halloween-type stuff.  I'm still thinking of going with our usual stuff on the 31st (dinner with my family, trick-or-treating, etc) and then following that up with a special dinner with just dh and the kids the day after.  Roast chicken, root veg, dinner rolls, and the pumpkin cupcakes I found on SmittenKitchen that we absolutely adore.

Along those lines...what do you do for Sabbats and non-pagan family - especially if you aren't particularly out about your faith.  When it comes to things like Halloween/Samhain, Christmas/Yule, and Ostara/Easter do you have dual celebrations?  In some ways I can see where those celebrations will be a bit simplified for us - especially since dh has the Solstice off this year, but not Christmas Eve/Day.  We could do something really special and he won't feel so left out as our big celebration has already taken place.  I've also been thinking about getting a copy of "Sabbat Entertaining" by Willow Polson for a Martha Stewart-esque take on the holidays.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

eggs- I found a nifty recipe that uses 40 eggs!  It's Martha Washington's favorite "great cake" and the folks at Mt Vernon have the recipe posted (or search Martha Washington great cake on google... even Martha Stewart has done it on her show).  Our hens are laying 45-50 eggs/week so I've been recipe hunting and this one seems like a winner.  LOL  It's a fruity boozey sort of thing so I'll probably make it for Winter Solstice gifts.  We usually make the Alton Brown fruitcake, and might make that too, but 40 eggs?  Perfect!

Oh my gosh.  How many hens do you have?  I have 17, 2 are still too young to lay and 4 are Americanas and they are not very good layers past 2 years and 3 are pretty old and don't lay every day anymore so I only get any between 8 and 5 eggs a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Quick update:  The actual surgery went well but the anesthesiologist was horrible.  My doc was appalled.  I was given too much anesthesia because the anesthesiologist couldn't get my body to relax enough to get me intubated.  She ended up cramming the tube down my throat...causing damage.

I'm having bad whole body pain (muscular).  It feels like I got hit by a car.  I really hurt.  I developed a cough (which could be from intubation) and the coughing gives me the most sharp, severe pain in the ribs/chest.  It's BAD.  I'm on constant vicodin (it's the only way I don't cry out in pain.)

I had to send my sister home because she has a cough.  I may have caught her cough.

I'm feeling sad that my uterus is gone.  It has served me well (gave me my one and only child.)  I get weepy on and off about it.

How horrible:(  I hope you feel better soon.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:

wow. i hope your throat and cough get better soon. i would be so mad about that. 

it is ok to be sad. i would be sad like i was mourning a friend. you should give yourself permission to mourn. i know that it was done for the best and that pain will be relieved, but you can still be sad about it. take it easy and try to relax.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View PostThat would be me.  :0)  I'm impressed with your Goodwill find.  I'd totally PP you the shipping cost.

We're crafting up a storm here which is a bit unusual.  It's been fun to spend time with the kids preparing for Samhain.  I'm still trying to make plans for the family aside from our usual Halloween-type stuff.  I'm still thinking of going with our usual stuff on the 31st (dinner with my family, trick-or-treating, etc) and then following that up with a special dinner with just dh and the kids the day after.  Roast chicken, root veg, dinner rolls, and the pumpkin cupcakes I found on SmittenKitchen that we absolutely adore.

Along those lines...what do you do for Sabbats and non-pagan family - especially if you aren't particularly out about your faith.  When it comes to things like Halloween/Samhain, Christmas/Yule, and Ostara/Easter do you have dual celebrations?  In some ways I can see where those celebrations will be a bit simplified for us - especially since dh has the Solstice off this year, but not Christmas Eve/Day.  We could do something really special and he won't feel so left out as our big celebration has already taken place.  I've also been thinking about getting a copy of "Sabbat Entertaining" by Willow Polson for a Martha Stewart-esque take on the holidays.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what others are doing.

PM me your address! Shipping shouldn't be much if I send it media mail, think? But oh yeah; I have paypal! Forgot about that! I love love love paypal. So easy to send and receive payments for things!

Remember to set a place for your ancestor(s) at your Sabbat table! Especially with littles. Ask them if there are any relatives that have passed that they want to remember. Put a photo of hir at the "empty" place.

Non-Pagan family-- well, ds and I have our holy day celebrations as close to the day as we can. Then we do the secular holidaying with family on those days. For instance, we do family things on Winter Solstice, just the two of us (we're a 2-person family, ds and I) and then we often go to my Mom's on Christmas. She is involved with her church, so she does choir and what-not and leaves early on Christmas Eve to do those things. DS and I read "The Night Before Christmas" and "Silver Berries and Christmas Magic" http://www.rosiehippo.com/p-123-silver-berries-christmas-magic-60-off.aspx and then go to bed. Christmas morning, we have the Big Gift Extravaganza winky.gif

This year, I think my brother and his two dd's are coming to Mom's as well.

Did anybody see my post about that? Someone please give me some idea as to what to get for them! They won't appreciate it anyway, probably, but ds and I need to make the gesture, at least eyesroll.gif

Oh, our family Solstice: I know I have posted it before. It's in the archives somewhere. But I make a Sun Bread http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Bread-Elisa-Kleven/dp/0142400734/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319203776&sr=8-1 and on Solstice morning, we get up just before sunrise. Quietly, we wait for Him to make his appearance, and when He does, we open the sparkling cider, throw Him up bits of bread, and dance and sing and make a big hoopla! Then we go in, have a small gift or two (stockings), usually homemade, and later we have a Feast.

Samhain: We talk about the family tree-- once when ds was about 4, I made a giant poster of our family tree back two-three generations, with Xeroxed photos of people on the branches. We don't have it anymore. This year I might draw out a simpler one on computer paper so that ds gets the relationships better. His father and mine are both deceased, and he gets mixed up as to whose dad, when I mention either of them. And he gets mixed up as to his half sister, his two cousins (my brother's girls), and our old babysitter, all of whom are roughly the same age.

We don't have a dumb supper-- ds couldn't shut up for 5 seconds, let alone 5 minutes, or a whole meal. But we do choose one ancestor and set a place for them, leaving little bits of the Feast on their plate, and sometimes making a meal of their favorite foods (even if they don't go, lol).

I go to the public rituals on most holy days.

DOK: Hope you feel up to par, soon. Maybe you could do some small ritual around your uterus, later, when you are feeling better? You know, some small release-type-thing.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Hey Gals, I am in Philly having a great time!

Sending healing for all those in need!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

dok- hugs and hopes for health and healing.  What a crummy anesthesiologist!  Can you complain to the hospital (when you feel better/have more energy)?  And maybe a ritual to help with the mourning process?  Some sort of passing the fertility torch/pampering yourself blend?  Hang in there!

chickens- we have 8, but 7 of those are golden comets (red sex linked) and they are famous for their "egg a day" minimum.  Sometimes they lay twice in a day and often their eggs are giant double yolkers.  So we get at least 7, usually 8, and on some days as many as 10 eggs a day.

box mix recipes (vydalea I think?)- I'm the same... I find a lot of baking overwhelming and love box mixes.  But if you look at the ingredients of a box mix, you'll see they aren't really saving you from anything difficult (you still have to add the wet ingredients and bake, and that's where the "work" is anyway).  All the box does is pre-mix the dry ingredients.  So what I do now is get a dozen big ziplock bags, my measuring cups/measuring spoons, and make my own mixes.  Just pick a time when you can relax a bit (I pour some wine and promise myself a treat when done) and reassure yourself that you WONT be cooking that day.  Pull out the various dry ingredients (so for the donuts that's flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices) and one at a time measure out and dump into the waiting bags... then close the bags, use a sharpie or write on a piece of tape to remind you what the mix is and what needs to be done "DONUTS- preheat oven to X, add 2 eggs and 2 cups milk, bake 15 minutes" or whatever.  And tah-dah!  You've got a box mix!  It's true that some baking really is twitchy chemistry magic, but your basic "no yeast" items are pretty foolproof.  Exact proportion is important when you're looking for lift or a delicate texture (so a yeast item where your poofy relies on happy yeast, or something like a souffle where you need the eggs just so to inflate the dish, or something where you're combining acids/bases to get a specific gas release) but if you stick to "peasant food" you actually have to go out of your way to ruin it.  LOL  Not that it can't be done... I used to hold the title for world's worst cook after I burned a batch of jello.  I kid you not.  trust me, jello can burn and it's naaaaaaasty when it does.  Very "dessert of the evil dead" and I wasn't even able to salvage the pot.

muffin tin vs donut tray- when using a muffin tin just bake a bit longer.  Though a donut tray only costs ~8 dollars and we use ours instead of a muffin tin or baking sheet for lots of things (it cooks faster because there's more surface area, in the same vein you get more yummy crust/muffin top/goody space since there is more outside to inside, and the donut shape amuses people).  In fact, DH made gfree brownies in the donut pan last night... yum!  He called them "roundies" for round + brownie.  :)

dual celebrations- we do double up on holidays.  I actually like it because it lets me "split" our celebrations... outward/social/loud for the celebrations with extended family (seeing these as social events rather than spiritual holy days) and a more inward/thoughtful/quiet celebration of the day that has religious significance for us as an immediate family.  So for example we dress up and trick or treat with friends on Halloween to celebrate the secular community event but we also have a private home/hearth based ritual with a special meal to celebrate the religious side.  And in December we have a Solstice calendar that the kiddos use to count down to Solstice... during which time we hang stockings, burn a fire, offer gifts to the gods/honored dead/local spirits and animals, volunteer at a soup kitchen, finish shipping the holiday helper boxes, exchange a few home made gifts, share a traditional meal and focus on the importance of giving and the mutual dependence that creates a strong family unit, ...but then we also visit relatives, give and get "store bought" sorts of gifts, sing carols, participate in toy drives and holiday charity parties, and do all the "busy social stuff" that goes along with the modern secular celebration of Christmas a few days later.  (though our December is a bit crowded with small celebrations... which works better for us than a single "blow out" day)

maia/gifts- I have a similar situation since dh's sister (20 years older than he is) and her family are very well off.  They're not really "hand made gift" types (we've tried that and it wasn't worth it) so we give a donation in their name to their favorite cause (a vegan run farm animal rescue organization) and a small consumable gift (a home made tea blend, cookies or a cake, a candle, whatever).  We do try to have sommething more "fun" for their daughter though... a "movie night" basket with a 4 pack of good soda, a bag of microwave popcorn, a gift card for a dvd download, and a box of candy.  Or a "tea/coffee time" gift with a travel sized french press (10 dollars at target, less at TJMaxx type stores), a box of tea, a sample pack of flavored coffee, and a magazine (or B&N/Starbucks gift card).  Things like that where there isn't a big financial or time commitment on the part of the giver and where the individual parts are take or leave with no real effort required by the person getting the gift.

ok, this post was written over about 3 hours so I'm sure I missed stuff.  Apologies!  lol

Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 PM

DoK: hug2.gif sending you love, positive, healing energy and hoping you have time to mourn this ending.  I am so sorry your anesthesiologist caused you more pain.  

Quote:

Aeress: We're going to be near Philly (cinnaminson, nj) this weekend!  Glad to hear you're having a blast!! HOORAY!

Clay:  You're so good.  I love the idea of making "premixes" - a billion times cheaper (and likely with better ingredients!) than buying the box.  

Thank you to both Maia and Clay for sharing your holiday celebrations.  Both are very interesting and give me some great ideas.  I love celebrating and remembering the ancestors.  So amazing and important.

Maia: I think Clay's idea for the "gift baskets" is fabulous.  It's so hard to buy for people who have everything and don't really appreciate what you get them.  You could always be like my grandpa who used to wrap our one small gift in 6 boxes that got smaller and smaller so there was lots of unwrapping which was fun.  

In the midst of making a fall "welcome" sign for our home.  The one out front is currently very vibrant with a dragonfly and I'm just not feeling it for this time of year.  Z is at her grandma's today and I actually had some time to just meander around the craft store and saw this great piece of wood and envisioned at pumpkin welcome sign on it.  Hopefully it will come out close to what I'm thinking!! :) 

Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostAnd in December we have a Solstice calendar that the kiddos use to count down to Solstice... during which time we hang stockings, burn a fire, offer gifts to the gods/honored dead/local spirits and animals, volunteer at a soup kitchen, finish shipping the holiday helper boxes, exchange a few home made gifts, share a traditional meal and focus on the importance of giving and the mutual dependence that creates a strong family unit, ...but then we also visit relatives, give and get "store bought" sorts of gifts, sing carols, participate in toy drives and holiday charity parties, and do all the "busy social stuff" that goes along with the modern secular celebration of Christmas a few days later.  (though our December is a bit crowded with small celebrations... which works better for us than a single "blow out" day)

maia/gifts- I have a similar situation since dh's sister (20 years older than he is) and her family are very well off.  They're not really "hand made gift" types (we've tried that and it wasn't worth it) so we give a donation in their name to their favorite cause (a vegan run farm animal rescue organization) and a small consumable gift (a home made tea blend, cookies or a cake, a candle, whatever).  We do try to have sommething more "fun" for their daughter though... a "movie night" basket with a 4 pack of good soda, a bag of microwave popcorn, a gift card for a dvd download, and a box of candy.  Or a "tea/coffee time" gift with a travel sized french press (10 dollars at target, less at TJMaxx type stores), a box of tea, a sample pack of flavored coffee, and a magazine (or B&N/Starbucks gift card).  Things like that where there isn't a big financial or time commitment on the part of the giver and where the individual parts are take or leave with no real effort required by the person getting the gift.

OK I am definitely writing down some of those ideas.

More help? The younger dd is 17 and going off to college next year. Any ideas for maybe some sort of "care package" ahead of time? Think that'd be a plan?

Sigh-- they're both snots, too. The elder is the one that, a few years ago, had so much trouble with drinking and drugs and sneaking out of the house that my brother had her "abducted" by this boot-camp style school in the boonies of SC (2hr due south of me, actually) and she lived there for several months. Do y'all recall that? She's still lost, aimless, no direction at all.

The younger is VERY driven. Talk about opposites. She's a soccer star and I think an Olympic hopeful, not sure. She got into this college on a full scholarship. As I understand it, several schools offered her a scholarship based on her soccer skills. She's got her whole life planned out, what she'll do if/when the soccer stops working for her, etc.

My brother...I have no idea. I think one thing I may get him is a local 6pack of beer. Asheville was voted beer city (or something) for its microbrews. A beer basket? What would go with that? He's not an alkie. Rather just enjoys a good brew now and then. He is very into boats. He used to (and may still) race smaller ones, 16ft or so, outboards. He writes freelance for some boating mags, Bass Boat and such, even though he's not a fisher-type-person. He also likes snowmobiles. He and his wife are splitting up. I used to get them a gift card together to a restaurant. I'd like to get him something just for him.

Clay-- I understand y'all do something every day on your holiday calendar? Care to elaborate? Do you plan it all out ahead? There's no way we can probably do something *every day*-- plus ds is not at all into crafts anymore; he prefers to do stuff just by himself (build elaborate paper guns from YouTube videos), but I'd like to do something. Even though life just plumb wears me out most days.

Plus I'd like to somehow incorporate Advent into it, somehow. DS and I are still exploring the Catholic church. I don't see a whole lot of differences in the trappings. I do have a Yule log with 4 candle holes and I used to light one every week of Pagan "Advent"-- I can still do that, but what I wonder is, for advent, when people/churches light a candle for every week, do they let the first one burn down, and then add two new ones on week2, for instance? Because if no, Week2 has a partially burnt candle from Week1 and a new one for Week2...not sure how the actual business goes redface.gif

Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 AM

hey ya'll. i feel kinda bad that i read all the time but dont post much. lol. 

feeling fall in the air today. it smells good. DH already put up the halloween decs and i volunteered to help the church set up the halloween party. 

i have been taking a real hard look at my beliefs lately and coming to a good spot about them. everything that i thought was contradictory in me is actually not. it is ok that i dont fit into what everybody thinks a pagan should be and that i dont do all the things that pagans are supposed to do or even believe all the stuff they are supposed to. yk, according to the internet and all the books. lol. i think the uu church was exactly what i needed at this time in my life. i am having the kids dedicated on nov 6. they are all pretty excited. they all love the uu church too, even my oldest, the teen, who doesnt like anything. 

hoping that this finds you all healthy and happy or on the way to becoming so. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Lioness- yay!  What a good place to have arrived!

College bound kiddo gift pack... coffee, day planner type book (calendar, space for notes, etc), gift cert for store that is local to the college (Cornell actually offers a service where people can have food/snacks/goodies delivered to students from the university dining staff but I don't know what that costs or how many schools offer something similar, but there is sure to be a big box nearby or maybe find out if there is a funky local spot that has a gift cert options), a nice pen, a travel sized alarm clock, and a laundry bag with a roll of quarters!  My niece hits college next year and we're giing her a party pouch too... a small, nice, handbag with a phone card, cab card (like a gift cert, but issued by the local cab company), a card with the college's safety/help services info, a pepper spray keyring thing, etc.  But that's a bit more specific to the person/school.

Quote:

You could always be like my grandpa who used to wrap our one small gift in 6 boxes that got smaller and smaller so there was lots of unwrapping which was fun.

LOL!  Growing up, holiday gifts were a big deal in terms of creativity of packaging (probably because there wasn't a lot of "gift" to wrap).  Guessing gifts was part of it, so wrapping was designed to mislead... books wrapped inside layers of towel, items wrapped with bells/rattles to disguise sound, random stuff wrapped up with directions to the actual gift written on the inside of the paper, etc.  And eventually gifts would be numbered so the gift getter would open them in the right order for the full effect.  LOL  One year my brother gave my dad the Narnia books... wrapped one at a time, from last book to first, ending with a beautiful candlestick shaped like a lamppost.  And another year I gave my brother an "evolution" gift... a jar of homemade slime, a copy of the paleo diet book, a framed cross-stitch of "domesticated animals" and a loaf of homemade bread with honey, a "voodoo computer" plushie (he works in comsec), and a dvd of 2001.

Baking mixes- it was DH who set me up with that technique.  I just balk at recipes that have lots of ingredients/steps so by having a prep day that is totally unrelated to baking day I can fool myself.  DH used to prep the bags for me (we were living close to the bone, we HAD to cook from scratch, I needed help!).

DoK- how are you feeling today?  Better?  Does warm honey help your throat?

Winter Holiday schedule- not every day!  But it sometimes seems that way.  We celebrate St Nicholas' Day (dec 6), St Lucia's Day (dec 13), Mother's Night/Modresnach (dec 20), Yule (dec 21), Christmas (dec 25), New Years (jan 1), and 12th Night/Epiphany (jan 6th).  And we celebrate, honor, and enjoy the company (and gifts lol) of St Nicholas on his day, St Lucy on her day, Mother Holle on Modresnach and Yule, the Christ child/Newborn Sun child on Christmas, the spirits of the land and animals on New Years, and La Befana on 12th Night.  Starting on Dec 1st we try to do one seasonal thing each weekend... getting and decorating the tree, making cookies, making gingerbread houses, caroling, making ornaments, whatever it may be.  Basically just pick 4 or 5 "things" and then let the rest go without guilt!  For the actual holidays...

We start our Yule chart on Dec 1st, and open one ray of the sun each night till the sun is reborn on Solstice morning.  We tell the story of Mother Holle each night (synopsis here and our old solstice calendar had individual "snow feathers", one added each day, till Mother Holle's feathers had blanketed everything but the sun image works better for us now)

st nicholas' day- we get and put up the tree, telling the story of the coins in the shoes.  We finish packing Holiday Helper boxes and try to do some sort of local volunteer work to celebrate the day/spirit of giving "in disguise" (so giving anonymously/without thanks).

st lucia's day- each kiddo (ds too) gets a crown (green felt "leaves" and led tealight candles) and dd1 serves cookies/cocoa to the family in the evening while we watch the Nutcracker Ballet on dvd.

Modresnach (more related info here)  - kind of a "pamper mama" type evening!  The kids give me little cards and "love you" tokens, and after the kiddos are in bed I get dh snuggle time with a yummy eggnog and cookies.  It's also the night we put the mother/sun child figures in our outdoor altar space and light lots and lots of candles in the snow to usher in the Solstice.  I make a necklace or beaded item to offer Mother Holle on this night and put away my fiber arts stuff till after 12th Night.

Yule- Mother Holle brings the gifts and St Nicholars fills the stockings... generally we open just the gifts of our immediate family on Yule, mostly handmade or simple.  (we try to stick with the "something you want, something you need/something to wear, something to read" formula with one or two "big gifts" for all the kids to share, and stockings have craft supplies, oranges, chocolate coins, and toothbrush/toothpaste).  We run around in the snow banging on pot lids and drums and blowing whistles to welcome the sun and we hang dried orange slices and sparkly sun catchers on the trees in our woods.  We also toss out bird seed and popcorn, offer our gifts to Mother Holle, light the bonfire, sing holiday songs, and have a traditional meal (very Dickensian with Norse flair lol).

Christmas- celebrated with extended family this turns into a sort of free for all of "getting" unfortunately.  But it's mostly us being in other people's space and conforming to their holiday traditions.  At home we do have some food traditions of our own for the day but for the most part we are out/about.

New Years- fairly secular with the staying up and "ringing in" of the new year.  We have a small fire to burn the regrets/sorrows of the old year, then we put out that fire, clean out the fire space, and lay a fresh fire to welcome in/energize the hopes of the new year.  I clean a lot during the Christmas to New Years week (many of those new Christmas toys get donated this week!) and we throw open all the windows and doors, make lots of noise and chase off the old year, then welcome the spirits of the land and home back in (we warn our house spirits beforehand so they're not surprised!).  We also make a family fruitcake (everyone stirs the mix, it's good luck) which we'll eat/offer some to the gods the following Yule.

12th Night/Epiphany- we tell the story of La Befana and leave our shoes out with straw for her donkey.  In the morning there are oranges and little treats in the shoes.  We take down all the holiday stuff (traditionally it's bad luck to have holiday stuff out after 12th night), goof off, have our bean cake (but all the kids get crowns and wands) and wassail, sing songs outside, dance silly dances, all that fun stuff!

And mixed in there are the 4-5 "holiday craft things" we've selected... like gingerbread houses or whatever.  It seems like a lot (ok, it IS a lot) but since it's mostly small stuff and spread out it's not as hard to manage as one big blowout of "everything all at once".  The kids don't have the same sort of sugar binge let down they might have if everything was tied to one day, dh and I don't have to have everything ready for a single day (a gift that isn't done by one day can be given on another, special foods happen one at a time, and so on), and it eases everyone through the month and points us towards spring.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM

I posted an update on my blog.

Clay- I'm out of honey. Wonder if I can ask someone to pick some local honey up for me.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 PM

Maia: For your brother's beer basket you could get him a bottle opener, pretzels, peanuts, mustard (my mom always gets my husband this local made gourmet mustard for holidays), you know general, fun snacks. I like the "getting ready for college" basket for the younger niece.  Sounds like you might want to add laundry detergent and maybe instructions on HOW to do her laundry!  The older one sounds difficult.  Could you do a coffee and chocolate basket or something?  Add in some biscotti.  I think Clay was mentioning something like that in an earlier post.  I think that sounds awesome.  

Clay: thanks for the detailed list.  you are so darn good.  how do you make homemade slime?  I want to make some for our niece for her Halloween treat. I used to make this cool goop with liquid cornstarch, glue and something else for the kiddies that was "slime like" but I can't for the life of me remember the recipe.

DoK: You're even out of honey?  I wish I were closer and could snag some for you!  

Lioness: Awesome for you.  It sounds like you are feeling very confident in where you are and that is beautiful.

Spent the weekend on the Jersey side of Philadelphia.  Took Z to the Camden aquarium.  I don't know who said "wow!" more times.  

Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 PM

pssst i have a secret. dont tell anyone.

User Tag List