Coffeehouse spirituality for wandering souls - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I belong here right now, even though I have been a member of a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship for the last 10 years and have been their Director of Religious Exploration there for a little over a year….. I am a wanderer because I believe that is really what we are meant to be. I don't believe that spirituality is a static thing and I don't believe that any of the great teachers (Jesus, Buddha etc) ever really wanted us to stay in a non-fluid state of being.
I joined the Fellowship I did because I was looking for a place where my kids could explore their spirituality on their own terms BUT it was very important for me that we were in a community.
I was raised in the Episcopal Church and still love that place, but I believe mostly because I miss my mom who has been gone for 14+ years…I love the music and the ritual and the community.
For me spirituality offers HOPE and even though I am a "wandering soul", hope finds me when ever I meet with a group of two or more. I love Yoga and fine life and energy there…but like all great things in my life it takes time and energy to get the most from it. I know that I need a meditation practice in my life…so I am looking for something that resonates with me. I like the idea of long walks…away from all the things I have to do…

Thank you for being here….
Love and Light

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#32 of 56 Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I like this thread, it resonates with me quite a bit.  I was raised by ex-Catholics.  They wanted us to make our own decisions about spiritual matters.  I'm happy about that for the most part.  But at times in my life I have felt the lack of spiritual community.  And I have always been somewhat of a seeker, very interested in these things. I've had a variety of what I'd call transcendent experiences, especially while receiving energy work (like Reiki) or doing breathwork.  Although these experiences felt very powerful for me, I have never felt a strong inclination towards a particular religion, which actually makes me kind of sad.  I am a "people person" and like to get together with like-minded individuals.  I think I'd enjoy practicing religion, I just can't find one that I particularly agree with.

I'm married to an agnostic Jew.  We occasionally go to services at the local synagogue, for holidays.  I really like the people there, but feel kind of like an outsider.

In some ways, art is like a spiritual practice for me.  And my veganism kind of is too. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#33 of 56 Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I like art too, that it is a means to express feelings about the 'unknowable'. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#34 of 56 Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 AM

Sometimes, when I'm writing, I feel the flow of something unknowable.  Something outside of myself.  It's like I'm merely translating the stories I write...like the old stories are being filtered through my experience.  But I didn't create them.  I'm just dipping into the River. 

BeckyBird likes this.

hh2.gif

#35 of 56 Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 PM

milagras, yes I know what you're talking about!  Have you read the book The Artist's Way?  I'm reading it now and she talks about this stuff.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#36 of 56 Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 AM

Yes, I've read a few of Julia Cameron's books.  I've read The Artist's Way.  For some reason though, when I try to work through the program, I get blocked.  I keep thinking of trying it again since I'm in a better place mentally now.  :-)  I think I'll get it out today.

hh2.gif

#37 of 56 Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 AM

Cool.  I'm reading it now for the first time and haven't read any of her other books yet.  Which do you think is the best of her books?  I am not really "doing" the course, but I have been doing the freewriting thing every morning and I've come to really look forward to it, even though it sometimes feels like a chore at first.  For me, journaling often is a good way of processing things and staying conscious about what's going on in my life. 

#38 of 56 Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Just popped in to share this npr article about a non-religious church.  Fun!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#39 of 56 Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Is anyone interested in animal totems, spirit animals, stuff like that?  I have some (distant) Native American heritage and have been interested in reading up on the cultures and beliefs.  A few days ago, a hawk killed and ate a small bird right in my back yard.  Then the next day, a pair of bald eagles were hanging around my house for a while.  (I was able to get some nice video and pictures.)  I just realized this could be a serious message.  And I've also been feeling lately that I need a spiritual identity.  One eagle was a juvenile, still with many brown feathers, but nearly grown.  My oldest son and I ran outside with our cameras.  I think that the eagles were for both of us--mother and son eagles.  DS had even been saying for a few weeks that he wants an eagle figurine for his room.  The eagle is extremely powerful medicine.  It is reminding me not to get bogged down, that I need to stay focused on how much I can accomplish.  It is also said that the eagle carries prayers to the Great Spirit, and will return with answers/gifts.  http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6031/eagle-power-animal-symbol-of-spirit-vision-and-strength 

#40 of 56 Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I have difficulty with shamanic spirituality.  Intellectual difficulty with it, that is.  My intellect is firmly rooted in Metaphor and Archetype.  I cannot wrap my head around Literal, which is the framework shamanic spirituality.  It is the same bristling I do when others want to approach the Bible as literal fact and history.  For me, it is a metaphor with a loose connection to some historical facts.  

Shamanic spirituality reminds me somewhat of Hinduism, with its many faces of god, its aspects.  But while I enjoy contemplating those aspects, it is translated as metaphor and archetypes.  

Here's what I think.  The "ultimate point", if you will, of the personification of these aspects is to draw the believer to a place spiritually where all form and identity is burned away until all that is left is pure consciousness.  If, in the process of engaging with a spiritual discipline, one is instead lead further into the complexities and the multitudes, that's where I reject it.  I suppose it would be possible to get so overloaded that the mind shatters?  

I think meditating on the symbolism of an animal totem would be an elegant path.  But there I go again.  Symbolism.  That is not shamanic spirituality.  A shaman would say that the eagle is *literally* carries prayers to the great spirit.  I have difficulty with that.  

I have had experiences of synchronicity, but I remain unsure.  I feel like the belief in synchronicity opens up the mind's awareness to see the connections.  I remain very much an existentialist in other ways, it seems.

I hope you don't feel like I'm criticizing in any way.  I'm genuinely curious, both about your experiences, and my odd resistance to the ideas.

#41 of 56 Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 PM

I don't take it too literally either.  I've been interested in learning more about the cultural practices of my ancestors, just so the memory is not lost.  My tribe is not legally recognized, but we carry on anyway.  I think it's great to learn from nature.  Nature does what works, so you can observe an animal, or a river, or the whole ecosystem and learn their/its wisdom.  I also know that this planet is sick, and people need to connect to the natural ways if they hope to heal it before it's too late. 

Perhaps I am shamanic in that I believe there is a kind of spiritual energy connection between every living thing.  There is a whole pulsing interconnected web of life, because I have sensed it.  There is actually a level of 'something' to plug into that some people are aware of, and some aren't.  Even if they don't know about it, they are still a part of it, but it is white noise that does not register.  I haven't read this in a book, this is just my life experience.  When I was a little kid and played in the woods all day and felt the energy coursing through the whole forest and right through me, I didn't question it any more than I would question breathing.  I didn't even feel the need to mention it to anyone. 

I also used to pick up on the vibes of human emotions from people.  But whenever I would totally nail someone's emotions, they would deny, deny, deny.  I always thought I was wrong and taught myself to ignore my intuition.  It took me a good many years to realize that I've been right all along, and I am aghast at the lengths people go to to lie about themselves.  People's spirits are so sick and confused.  :( 

BeckyBird likes this.

#42 of 56 Old 01-11-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

:sip

I have the same experience as well.  Overtly, visually when very, very high.  I could feel the pull in me from all the connections in the universe, directly to the Source, which was hidden from me except indirectly in all these things surrounding me (hidden because I was still looking outward?)  Less intensely but distinct when I can be by myself on my forest walks.  I think that's why I like living where I do.  I get lost in more urban areas.  I haven't honed my perception enough to see through the cacophony of the man-made.  I guess that makes me a novice, though I "know" intellectually it is the same, just more hidden under all the layers, or something.  I have experienced some of the same, again, while under the influence of psychedelics.  Why it should be easier, I don't know.  Perhaps we humans are programmed to recognize natural patterns?  Resonates more clearly?  Mirrors the face of the great spirit with ease?

Coming out of the Nevada Rainbow Gathering (1989) where I spent a month by the river, I saw the fear in people's faces, so very different from the openness I experienced every day.  It was a vacation from Real Life, I guess you could say.  I did see the masks of fear, the armor, but I also saw plenty of openness in places I didn't expect it.

I know I don a mask at times.  That mask, I guess, is for social politenesses.  To connect without too much depth, which can be uncomfortable.

BeckyBird likes this.

#43 of 56 Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

Cool.  I'm reading it now for the first time and haven't read any of her other books yet.  Which do you think is the best of her books?  I am not really "doing" the course, but I have been doing the freewriting thing every morning and I've come to really look forward to it, even though it sometimes feels like a chore at first.  For me, journaling often is a good way of processing things and staying conscious about what's going on in my life. 

There was a time when I did the 3 pages of free writing every day.  It became a chore so I stopped.  I find I'm coming back to it again but more loosely.  I will admit to skimming many of her books - Finding Water, The Right to Write, A Prosperous Heart.  I have also read her memoir - Floor Sample.  My biggest issues with creativity is the belief that I don't deserve to be true to myself (if that makes sense) and that creativity is childish and a waste of time.  Both things I carry from childhood.  I am finding more and more that creativity (writing and painting ceramics) is my refuge.  Something unexplainable flows through me and nourishes me when I allow myself to be free.  :-)

BeckyBird likes this.

hh2.gif

#44 of 56 Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagras View Post

My biggest issues with creativity is the belief that I don't deserve to be true to myself (if that makes sense) and that creativity is childish and a waste of time.  Both things I carry from childhood.  I am finding more and more that creativity (writing and painting ceramics) is my refuge.  Something unexplainable flows through me and nourishes me when I allow myself to be free.  :-)

I have found my way back to creativity because consuming wasn't satisfying anything.  I felt like a hungry ghost and this whole world wasn't enough.  I was devouring and destroying.  Then I realized that I must become a creator.  I MUST.  It was almost life-or-death.  Live every day hungry and dissatisfied, or create!

BeckyBird likes this.

#45 of 56 Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRootsStarSoul View Post

I have found my way back to creativity because consuming wasn't satisfying anything.  I felt like a hungry ghost and this whole world wasn't enough.  I was devouring and destroying.  Then I realized that I must become a creator.  I MUST.  It was almost life-or-death.  Live every day hungry and dissatisfied, or create!

:thumb

#46 of 56 Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I've been reading "Game of Thrones" series, and I am moved by his weirwoods and the godswoods.  

Recently, I've been turning away from the masks that "modern" religion has given us-- the images of the Buddha, Jesus, even the most ancient myths of the spiritual journeys.  When I am on my walks through the wooded lanes over our hill and come to the Buddha Tree (a huge, lone cottonwood) I have taken to looking past the little Buddha statue at the base and to the tree itself.  It is comical, the juxtaposition of this tiny statue and this great tree behind it.  To think that this Mask, however helpful to the spiritual journey, could ever encompass the mysteries that it represents.

Of course, I "knew" that.  The stories, the archetypes, have been helpful and fascinating in their own right.  But I have inspired to move myself beyond that.  The Old Gods of the godswood had no name, no images.  I am ready for that.  I am ready for prayer to be openness.

I am not deceived (well....)  This is as much a mask as the others.  But it is the mask I can see directly, not a picture in the book I use as a lens to view the mask.  And this lens, these masks, have served me well over the decades since I first experienced the connectedness of the world.

My walks have become my prayer.  I have no one weirwood, with the ancient face, but the world is my godswood where I go to pray.  Sometimes the feeling is intense--my walk perhaps began with tension and fighting at home, and extreme lows often are accompanied by extreme highs and release.  It takes all my mental energy to center myself upon my breath, and hear the breath of the world.  Other times, when I am feeling centered, it is almost harder to center upon my breath because I am in full wonder, and thoughts come unbidding.

All my life I  have looked for teachers.  Now the teacher is myself, and I'm ready to face the primeval mask for myself.  What that will look like is not recorded in any book.  For now, I work on centering myself upon my breath, and listening to the breathing of the godswood and the world.  

That is the first step in the practice of Aikido as well which translates as "way of harmonized breath".  I know that our breaths are one, but right now I feel that as two.  I know the truth is somewhere in between "Not one, not two.  A singer and his song.  The sun and its light.  A wave upon the ocean.  Not one, not two."

I am thankful (what a great release, that feeling of thankfulness-- the most beautiful offering of Christianity) for being introduced to this concept of the godswood and the nameless gods.  It is fantasy in its creation, but so simple.  I like simplicity.  It offers no food for the intellect.  I am drawn to it like a moth to the flame.  It is the right direction.  The truth, whatever it is, can be found behind the trees, in the sound of leaves rustling and birdsong, the trickle of water, the beat of my own heart, my footfalls, my breath.  Opening awareness to all of it--first with the ears, and the eyes and the skin and the nose, into the heart and beyond.

#47 of 56 Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

That was amazing, SweetSilver. 

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#48 of 56 Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

A great article.  I love it when people of science recognize this kind of experience.  It's the place I come from as well.

When Nature Speaks, Who Are You Hearing?

#49 of 56 Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

And for the scientifically minded, another piece by the author:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/06/17/137219683/science-sacred-spiritual-what-is-in-a-word

#50 of 56 Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 PM

Subbing and will be back when my brain and shoulders can handle a bit more of a message.

SweetSilver - you start many a great thread! Thank you!

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#51 of 56 Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeloveMa View Post

SweetSilver - you start many a great thread! Thank you!

Why, thank you!  I'm glad to make use of this format to compartmentalize my crazy thought processes.  I ramble mightily when talking in person, and can often lose a thread of conversation to trivial details, so the computer is a great place to put one thought here, another thought there, then they stay separate and I can go back to them and put the proper thought in the proper thread.  I'm afraid my brain never stops, but my posts have a definite beginning and a definite end (mostly).  And instead of bouncing around, they stay where I put them.  I like that.  Glad people can benefit from them, or get a laugh or whatever.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

#52 of 56 Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Has anyone listened to the lectures given by Alan Watts?

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

#53 of 56 Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

These are on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlanWattsLectures

Are these what you mean?  I haven't seen them.  I'll be looking forward to it.

#54 of 56 Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Yes!

I am a work at home mom, and the only time I can really get anything done is after the kids are asleep. This is when I enjoy listening to programs on the internet. Alan Watts is one of my favorites (along with Terence McKenna, if you really want to go on a trip!)

The concepts of polarity, paradoxes, yin and yang, etc are ideas I often think about. Alan Watts studied Eastern philosophies, and his lectures are very entertaining. Still, they do not fully explain what I feel inside, but it's a start! I don't think I've ever come across any person or writing that fully explains what I feel--have you?

It is fun to think of spirits, other realities, time, space, universes within the smallest spaces, your own ego and consciousness, etc. In the end, these are still just "things" and concepts. Imagine you learned about everything there is to know, and everything finally has an explanation. Everything. Then what? What is left? This is what interests me at the moment--what is this "thing" behind everything, the "thing" you have after all is explained and everything is known?

Well, one thought is this "thing" behind everything IS everything. There is no separation. Existence, and everything about it, just is.  (I told you I couldn't explain it in words lol!)

The first half hour is great, and if you like it, there's a lot more. I listened to this one last night.

#55 of 56 Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 AM

I very much like listening to Alan Watts, and I haven't done it in a while, but I just ran across this short one that is accompanied by a lovely video. For you all! :joy

BeckyBird and Chaika like this.

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#56 of 56 Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

That was sweet.  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page