~*~**~*NOVEMBER Pagan Families Circle!!!~*~*~~****~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 220 Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
gun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi KTG!  Thanks for the welcome back!  I don't envy you.  I don't like trying to make new friends.  I find it really tough. 

Vydalea - perhaps it wasn't so creepy that i wanted to photograph my empty closet!

We went out for a walk thru a local nature center and there was only one other person in the many many acres!.  LOVELY! 

Peace- Heather
#62 of 220 Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia: it's nice that your principal was receptive to what you were saying and was candid with you.  I agree with you - social/emotional learning is equally as important as academic learning.  Hoping his discussion with his 2 lead teachers brings positive change....AND here's hoping for positive change with M!  **love the french press, by the way** mmmmm.... I have a little 2 cup press and it's my joy all winter!! 

I know. And thanks for the validation. I really am not at all worried about ds's academics at the moment. I think the behavioral stuff is WAY more important. You can get along in society if you behave right and are stupid, but if you are smart as the dickens and behave like an ass, life won't go very smoothly, kwim?

M has 3 days, today-- one big difference is he's going around telling key people in his life that he's seeking recovery and going to AA. Granted, he's only been to one meeting, but he wants to go to more (the times are not at ALL amenable to his work schedule...sigh) and is talking on the phone to a man who I go to a meeting with, here where I live. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View PostI was in an accident on the 28th of October and while I feel almost back to normal, I am thinking I may have jarred my filling or something in my tooth when we got hit, because I am having some slight pain.  I hate dental stuff.  

Glad you are OK. I hate dental stuff, too! Can you stick a clove in there till you get it looked at?

Quote:

Originally Posted by redveg View PostMaia, positive thoughts going M's way.  I hope you are not getting sick but if you are I hope it passes quickly.  I have a French Press and love it!

I love mine, too, though I only use it for camping. I am spoiled by the drip coffee maker. It has a timer-thingy that you can set it to start in the morning before you're out of bed thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostOh and I'm reading up a storm too - Just finished the Art of Racing in the Rain - Loved it!  Up next The Golden Compass as a friend recommended it awhile ago for me to read.

Any tea drinkers here?  I need to find some teas for a gift and anyone have recommendations of some yummy ones?

I mostly read at night, anymore. I am reading the last of the Jean Auel series. I read the first Golden Compass and thought it was really weird (armored bears? really? headscratch.gif) until I saw the movie. It made a lot more sense, then, believe it or not. Then I really liked it. But I thought her name should be pronounced to rhyme with Lyric, not Liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Postalso, I love Republic of Tea's Blackberry Sage and Ginger Peach.  I also had this amazing one at my mom's house: Organic India Tulsi Tea, Sweet Rose.  It was so different at first, I didn't think I would enjoy it.  It really tasted like a rose but it was delicious and soothing. 

Oooh, rose tea, that sounds interesting!

I like the seasonal ones: Bigelow's Apple Cider and Pumpkin Spice, and the wintery ones, and I like Roastaroma by Celestial Seasonings, and their Zinger teas.

DS has this behavior chart that they fill out every day at school. He can get a possible 27 sections scored either 1 for worst, 2 for meets expectations, or 3 for best. The other day he got 19 1s!!!! Then 10...he hasn't gotten less than 10 1s in ages. His goal is 8 or less. Today he got NONE! No 1s at all! joy.gif So, he CAN do it! Yay! At least, once in awhile. His doctor, M, and I all asked him today "What was different?" and he had no answer. Grrrr.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#63 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 AM

Hello all! Do you mind if I join your ranks?! I've considered myself a Pagan for years but only recently has it become a major force in my life. I would love to be able to chat with fellow Pagans! I live in a pretty conservative area and I've not really come out of the broomcloset, so to speak. DH knows and supports though he's more agnostic than anything. I've not *hid* it from my parents, but I've not actually said anything, either. In-laws....well....DH and I are already the black sheep of his family, I'm fairly certain if I came to Christmas dinner and pronounced that I was a practicing witch we'd be disowned!! Anyway, I've looked through WitchVox for Pagan circles in the area and no one has seemed interested enough to even email me back so I've been trying to go Solitary for awhile. Its not been overly smooth, though, and I'd love to have someplace with like minded individuals (who are also parents!!) to talk about the Gods, spells and rituals. orngbiggrin.gif

So, Merry Meet and Blessed Be!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#64 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

Hello all! Do you mind if I join your ranks?! I've considered myself a Pagan for years but only recently has it become a major force in my life. I would love to be able to chat with fellow Pagans! I live in a pretty conservative area and I've not really come out of the broomcloset, so to speak. DH knows and supports though he's more agnostic than anything. I've not *hid* it from my parents, but I've not actually said anything, either. In-laws....well....DH and I are already the black sheep of his family, I'm fairly certain if I came to Christmas dinner and pronounced that I was a practicing witch we'd be disowned!! Anyway, I've looked through WitchVox for Pagan circles in the area and no one has seemed interested enough to even email me back so I've been trying to go Solitary for awhile. Its not been overly smooth, though, and I'd love to have someplace with like minded individuals (who are also parents!!) to talk about the Gods, spells and rituals. orngbiggrin.gif

Hi and welcome:) 

Morning all.  Another beautiful day out there.  It's going to be in the 60's but the sun is out and there are zero clouds in the sky.  Today is the last day of school for the week here and my kids all have plans so it is going to be pretty quiet this weekend.  That's all good because next weekend is their birthday and I am sure it is going to be non-stop.  Anyone have any plans?  Hope everyone has a great day.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#65 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 AM

tea- you know... they make french press gizmos for tea too!  LOL  And there are always those funky tea flowers where the tea "unfolds" into a flower shape as it steeps.  We used to have a tea shop near us and while those never ended up tasting all that great, they sure were fun to watch.  Kind of an upscale adult version of those little pellets kids stick in water to "grow" a dinosaur?  Love & Tea is wonderful... and an MDC mama shop!  (she was in my first ddc/mamas of 4/05 group here and is really, really, nice) 

funky feeling- anything wonky going on, oh you more tuned in astro folk?  I know there's the moon tomorrow, but I've had such funky feelings the last day or two, and today I'm practically shaking.  With no good reason.  I feel like things are sort of hanging in the balance... that there is something coming that will tip the scale one way or the other.  But I don't know /what/... what is in the balance?  what is coming?  which is the good or the bad or the neutral?  It's like the sky is blue and sunny but the barometric pressure is dropping so my inner ear is ringing the storm warning.  Anyone have a similar feel or idea about "why"?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#66 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Clay -  Read up on Tracy's Blog particularily the articles Virgo Magic, Chiron & Neptune, Taurus Full Moon & Neptune Turns Direct.   Lots of action happening in the stars right now, lots!  There is a balancing act happening and a push/pull which I think in the end will mean growth for folks.  Just in what form it will come in or how far it will push an individual is ... well up to them.

I'm getting curious to see how the world is once Neptune enters Pisces (2012) and where we end up at the end of that ride in 2026.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#67 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 AM
gun

Welcome 3Mama!  Glad to have you here!  I am back myself after a long absence.  There is no place better in my opinion for good pagan conversation!

Peace- Heather
#68 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 AM

There is a lot of energy building up... I feel it too and I'm consciously working on grounding myself, anchoring myself to Earth.

Friday is 11/11/11... a big day in many people's mind. Very in line with your feeling of the tip of the scale, Clay. ;-)  There's a link going on on FB about a documentary that will be available for streaming ($5) on Friday called Thrive...

Valérie   
#69 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM

interesting... I'll go check Tracy's blog after I get the kiddos to their waldorf program.  And I got an offer (out of the blue) from my SIL... she wants to design a website for me!  So I think that must be part of this whole sense of change and impending motion.  LOL... the "sitting at the top of the roller coaster ascent" sort of feeling.  I just hope Tracy's blog helps me figure out how I got on that roller coaster, where it's going, and what I should be focusing on!  :)

Our toilet is totally jammed (thank you, nameless 2yo and your roll of TP and then still nameless 6yo who added some serious nastiness to the bowl)... and we are currently without a plunger.  I can get a plunger at walmart, and I will, after I drop the two girls off this afternoon.  But 4yo wont use the toilet because it's "gross" so she is changing pants as needed.  Screaming and hollering the whole time.  And honestly /I/ need the facilities too but don't want to add to what I know will be an extremely un-fun plunger experience.  Actually, budget or no budget I'm thinking I might get TWO plungers.  The contents of the bowl are... well.... ick.  Double ick.  Maybe even trebel ick if you get right down to it.

Another 45 minutes or so before I can take the kiddos in... then another 20 or so to walmart.  Sigh.

LOL

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#70 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostI'm fairly certain if I came to Christmas dinner and pronounced that I was a practicing witch we'd be disowned!!

MM and welcome, 3x! Is the 3x for how many kids you have?

Your quote reminds me of the Dar Williams song redface.gif duck.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostThat's all good because next weekend is their birthday and I am sure it is going to be non-stop.  Anyone have any plans?  Hope everyone has a great day.

When's their birthday? Mine's next week, too birthday.gif Mine is the 17th, Thursday. I'm so annoyed because ds has off school that day-- for teacher conferences. Like I really want to have a conference on my birthday. As if I don't have enough conferences concerning ds, aside from these ones which are "regular" ones. As if I want to be with ds all.dang.day. on my birthday. I'm such a loner. I want some alone time for a birthday present. I have a Groupon for a massage and I wanted to do that, dang it! Oh well. Practice acceptance.

The 19th is our annual Holiday Parade. It's long...but I love to go. For the past 2 years, we've left early because ds didn't want to stay. I want to stay this year and see Santa at the end. And we also have my annual Birthday Thing; there is a national gingerbread house competition that is held at the Grove Park Inn, and it runs from right around my birthday, through January. We go every year. They are really cool and some are so elaborate! http://www.groveparkinn.com/Leisure/Happenings/Fall_2/National_Gingerbread_House_Competition__Display_9/ or here are some links for photos of past ones:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2688/4139234857_05ca0f10be_z.jpg

http://www.exploreasheville.com/what-to-do/seasonal-fun/holidays/gingerbread-creations/image.aspx?id=1373&width=300&height=200

and this one is really cool; it has 28 photos of houses:

http://www.groveparkinn.com/gallery/Gingerbread-Competition-Top-Ten/GrandPrize_PatriciaHoward_WinterSpringsFL

The Grove Park Inn is amazing. Lots of famous people have stayed there, including actors and presidents and such. It's said to be haunted. Last year I had a HUGE bad-mommy-moment when I told my son to go stand in the human-sized giant fireplace---and it was live! It looked cold; I swear it did, but he was like "Mom, it's really warm in here"-- OMG yikes2.gif I am still mortified about that, a year later...what could have happened. Holy shite.

And there were all these people around, and nobody even noticed! Yikes. Bad me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay  funky feeling- anything wonky going on, oh you more tuned in astro folk? 

Well yeah, there's a stray asteroid roaming around the skies at 96,000mph and it very nearly could have hit us last night. M was tracking it. It missed thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostActually, budget or no budget I'm thinking I might get TWO plungers.  The contents of the bowl are... well.... ick.  Double ick.  Maybe even trebel ick if you get right down to it.

Oh, ew....hey Clay, don't you have enough property that you could conceivable go outdoors if you needed to? One time, when I lived under my landlord on the OBX, the property got flooded from a storm. Well, that happened a lot, living on the beach, but this one particular time, 3 sides of the house were underwater, and my toilet was non-working. You couldn't flush. So I was going in a grocery-bag-lined Dutch oven for poo, and disposing of the contents...I forgot where, I think in the big town trash bins, but I forgot. But in your case you could just bury it? Plus, don't you have potty-learning kiddos? If so, might you have a padded potty ring that fits on the big toidy? Those fit nice and snugly on a 2-1/2gallon bucket, or a 5-gallon one. Makes a great camp potty, or emergency one. Might be worth going to Sam's Club just to get the dishwasher powder that comes in that 2-1/2gallon bucket, kwim?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#71 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Welcome, 3xMama!  wave.gif

Maia: Wonderful news about DS's day of "NONE" - it must feel so good to know that it can happen. And I hope that M can continue down the path he has chosen...thinking of all of you and keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Clay:  One reason I love this board is that I was also feeling and continue to feel SO OFF this week and knew there would be others who would wonder what the HECK was going on in the cosmos!  I told my DH that I am making LOTS of lemonade this week.  (you know, when life hands you lemons...) We have bathtubs full this week!  And it's only Wednesday! 

ktg: I did check out Tracy's blog and felt better knowing that it is a little hectic out there this week and *deep breath* that on the other side is much potential for clarity. I thought of you yesterday when I received some tea samples I had requested in the mail from Twinings.  Had the Jamine Green Tea which is a special favorite of mine.   Oddly, I had wanted to pick up a bottle of Jasmine Iced Tea at the grocery store but didn't feel like spending money on a frivolous treat for myself - then got home and found it in my mailbox.  What a special treat from the universe!! 

redveg: What are you doing for the birthday celebration? 

This morning Z and I wandered around a local park with our friends.  It was gorgeous out. We sat by the river and played in the leaves.  pure bliss in a week of oddities.

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#72 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Hey Gals,

My poor dog Xander got his paw caught in a coyote trap on Monday. He is fine, though I got bit by him. I got antibiotics and a tetanus shot. He felt awful after it happened, he thought I was mad at him.  You know what is entirely odd, our new neighbor had just installed them on Sunday and we took an alternate path on Monday. Honestly, I felt beyond scary-almost unreal. Like, why did we go that way?

I felt off since then, and the changes could explain it. I wrote in my journal yesterday morning, "waiting for the other shoe to fall." At the doc, I saw someone new and she was odd to say the least. She told me to wait and would be right back, and she never returned. She kept asking me about how my anxiety meds were working. So, odd. The whole thing felt off. Thank goodness for Tracy's article, cause I was feeling rather not me.

Clay-clogged toilets are the worst, hope you were able to use the facilities and it wasn't super gross.

Maia- I have been following your stuff with DS and M and it sounds like things may be looking up.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#73 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostMaia- I have been following your stuff with DS and M and it sounds like things may be looking up.

Gawd, I so hope you're right; now if the house would sell!!!

The showing-- the people weren't interested in pursuing further greensad.gif It wasn't the house; it was the location. I'm on a thru-street and they wanted more of a neighborhood feel. But the Homebuyer Ed guy is going to bring another class (of 12!) through at some point soon! thumb.gif I am offering $500 towards closing costs, now. I'm leaving room for more, if I want to increase it, which is why only $500 for now. AND conveying every-dang-thing, the washer/dryer, the deep freezer, microwave, of course the stove and fridge, even some furniture if they want it. Ye Gods, people, it's only $136,900, and a stone's throw from the Biltmore Estate-- someone has got to want to live here!

2 weeks till I see M energy.gifThe countdown begins! Can y'all tell I'm excited?

Oh, I so want to ask my mom if she'll keep ds for the week between Christmas and New Year's again...so I can go back and see M...but I don't think I dare. She hasn't offered, and won't. I'd have to ask, for the 3rd year in a row, and I doubt she'll want to. Which means I'll have to wait till like February. Or March greensad.gif

#74 of 220 Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

MM and welcome, 3x! Is the 3x for how many kids you have?

Your quote reminds me of the Dar Williams song redface.gifduck.gif

Well yeah, there's a stray asteroid roaming around the skies at 96,000mph and it very nearly could have hit us last night. M was tracking it. It missed thumb.gif

Thank you all for the welcomes! Yup, the 3x is for how many kids I have. Its supposed to be like "3 times a mama" though I'm not sure that translates so well. I wanted to change it eventually but then the website changed and I'm stuck with it. Anyway, I have a 5.5 yr old DD, DS1 who will be 2 on the 18th, and DS2 who is 9.5 months. My babies! luxlove.gif

And the asteroid comment made me ROTFLMAO.gif! I'm glad it missed!! I do have to join everyone else in saying things have felt off. It seems like its been one small thing after another lately, though I'm glad its just small. 

Aeress-I'm so sorry about your dog! Was he injured at all or just scared? Glad that you are ok, too!

Clay-I hope that your toilet issues have been resolved. Very few things are worse to deal with than clogged toilets--ick indeed! 

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#75 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Other than that - I'm taking steps to make a friend here (finally in WI).  It is so hard, almost like dating except I think worse.  Anyhoo we have a "date" to go to the farmer's market on Saturday, so here's hoping!  Next up I have to reconnect with an old friend of mine to rekindle our friendship again so much like dating except with more to lose emotionally. gah...

I hate trying to make friends, especially Mom friends. Good luck!

Quote:

I mostly read at night, anymore. I am reading the last of the Jean Auel series. I read the first Golden Compass and thought it was really weird (armored bears? really? headscratch.gif) until I saw the movie. It made a lot more sense, then, believe it or not. Then I really liked it. But I thought her name should be pronounced to rhyme with Lyric, not Liar.

Yay for DS! I loved the Golden Compass and its sequels. (Well, the books. I don't know if they made the sequels into movies.) I read it when I was a tween and just loved it. I'm waiting for DD to be old enough to like it as a read-aloud.

Quote:

Welcome! I don't know how old your kids are, but I do think it's really hard to get involved in Pagan circles with little kids. I live in a big city, so there are quite a few options, but not any that are a good fit.

Man, it got cold fast. Allegedly people were seeing snow yesterday afternoon, but I refuse to believe it. At least, I didn't see any snow.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#76 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Hello all! Do you mind if I join your ranks?!  >snipped by DaughterOfKali<

Welcome!  I've never had luck on witchvox.  Do you have a Unitarian Universalist church near you?  There are often members who are pagan at UU churches.  It's a good place to look for others of like-mind.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#77 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Welcome to everyone I've missed this week... so many new voices!  :)

And thanks for the toilet sympathy.  LOL  The plunger didn't work... we had to wait for DH to get home and run the snake through the line and hit the exterior baffle.  /shudder/  Ah well, it happens!  And with several small kiddos in the house it happens more often than I'd like.

toilet seat- actually, we finally got a toilet seat that has a toddler seat "built in" to the lid.  It's pretty spiffy.  Basically there is the regular lid of the toilet, but that lid is in two pieces... lift the "first" lid and it's a smaller toddler friendly opening.  But lift the whole lid at once and it's a regular sized seat.  The only problem is that the double seat is thicker than a normal lid so our toilet lock doesn't fit.  Which contributes to the toilet jamming.  DD1 and dd2 never really bothered with the toilet, but ds is aaaaaaaallllll about dropping things in the toilet and flushing them away.  Sigh. 

Lantern walk- we have a lantern walk at dd1/dd2's waldrof school tonight.  Should be good weather for it too.  Mid to upper 40s.  We probably wont see that sort of "warm night" for much longer... looks like we may be back to snow on the weekend.  Which is kind of ok with me.  I'm really enjoying the wood smoke and dry leaf scents of late autumn, it's one of my favorite times of year, but between the snows and storms and whatnot the scenery is kind of, well, ugh-tastic.  Lots of dead leaves and bare bones in the woods, just asking for a little snow to jazz them up!  So while part of me wants to keep the smells and sounds and warmth of the season, part of me wants to have the visual pretty of the snow.  Of course, after a week of snow I'll be begging for the fall again!

random- has anyone every shaved a cat?  Our cat has medium long fur and she has this amazing ability to develop dreds.  Which look horrible and lead to eventual hairballs of horror.  We do our best with brushing but she was a stray and really doesn't /like/ being brushed (or even petted, we've tried those "glove" style combs to no avail) so it's tough.  I'm half joking here, but really... I feel like keeping her fur short would solve everyone's problems!  LOL  But our local grooming service wont even bath cats, let alone give them a trim.  And I've helped friends bath cats... not a game for the faint hearted.

#78 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 AM
gun

Clay - I used to trim my client's cat because of the dreads.  I had fast hads and sharp scissors.  Not anything i would do again!!  Best of luck!!

Lantern walk - I am hosting one at my home tomorrow night for a bunch of kids.  Should be fun!!  Little Acorn posted this 'Glimmer Lantern Glimmer' story that is nice, secular, and filled with fun!  I hope it goes well tomorrow!

It is a beautiful day here.  Nice, crisp, sunny, clean air type of day.  Cold too, but I expect that too.

Peace- Heather
#79 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Clay - I have that problem with my cats and we take the clippers (the same DH uses for his beards) and shave out the mats/dreads when they get that bad. We used to just do it with scissors and that was super scary for me and I love using the clipper more for the spot areas.

Otherwise we use a curry-like comb which does an amazing job of brushing out the undercoat and hair from our 4 kitties.  None of ours likes anything to do with grooming (including clipping the nails) and it's a 2-person job to tackle them, hold them (with a towel), shave the spots, brush (if we can at that point) and then clip nails. 

Can you bribe her with treats and then comb a bit or does she take off for the nearest couch (to hide under) if the brush/comb comes out?

It's snowing here and I'm in a bit of shock!  Luckily it is the big fluffy type of flakes which make it quite pretty to look at and less painful to accept that winter is coming...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#80 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostYup, the 3x is for how many kids I have. Its supposed to be like "3 times a mama" though I'm not sure that translates so well.

I wasn't sure if it was that, or that 3x is your...um...body size, but I didn't want to ask redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI read it when I was a tween and just loved it. I'm waiting for DD to be old enough to like it as a read-aloud.

Ye Gods, you make me feel old. A tween, srsly? I haven't been a tween in like 40 years hide.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Posttoilet seat- actually, we finally got a toilet seat that has a toddler seat "built in" to the lid.  It's pretty spiffy. 

random- has anyone every shaved a cat?   We do our best with brushing but she was a stray and really doesn't /like/ being brushed

I have seen those seats, and they are cool, but while Tor is that young and impetuous, you might consider investing in an "emergency potty" a'la what I said, for the meanwhile. And lock the bathroom door from the outside, just for the older folks. I know it's a pain, but lots less of a pain than snaking the toilet every couple days. Or hours. You can often find those padded potty rings on Freecycle, or at Goodwill. And the buckets, too.

Brushing-- this is THE VERY BEST thing I have ever, ever found for getting out tangles. Granted it is for ds's hair, and was brilliant when he had ass-length hair, but I bet it'd work for a cat, too: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-5679-rainbow-research-detangler-for-kids-8-oz and that's not a bad price for it, either. Unless you don't want to pay shipping; I bet they have it at your HFS.

M is trying so bloody hard to stay sober. He sounds different. He sounds determined. But it's so hard for him. He just.can.not. make meetings in the week. He tried last night, but got about 3 blocks before he realized he was weaving and would either have an accident or get pulled for drunk driving, because of his meds. Poor guy. He actually said (two different times!) "I need a meeting". My local guy is going to call M and try to set up some sort of conference call for a phone meeting orngbiggrin.gif How sweet is that?

#81 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Ugh, about the toilet. I hate plunging the toilet anyway; I can't imagine having a kid who likes to flush things in it!! Yikes!!!

Enjoy your Lantern Walk! My DD's school is having one this weekend also (the main teacher is Waldorf-trained), but we are headed to finally see Dh's aunt, uncle, and cousin, as well as celebrate Dh's mother's birthday. So off to PA with us tomorrow, and no Lantern Walk. :( There's always next year, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Welcome to everyone I've missed this week... so many new voices!  :)

And thanks for the toilet sympathy.  LOL  The plunger didn't work... we had to wait for DH to get home and run the snake through the line and hit the exterior baffle.  /shudder/  Ah well, it happens!  And with several small kiddos in the house it happens more often than I'd like.

toilet seat- actually, we finally got a toilet seat that has a toddler seat "built in" to the lid.  It's pretty spiffy.  Basically there is the regular lid of the toilet, but that lid is in two pieces... lift the "first" lid and it's a smaller toddler friendly opening.  But lift the whole lid at once and it's a regular sized seat.  The only problem is that the double seat is thicker than a normal lid so our toilet lock doesn't fit.  Which contributes to the toilet jamming.  DD1 and dd2 never really bothered with the toilet, but ds is aaaaaaaallllll about dropping things in the toilet and flushing them away.  Sigh. 

Lantern walk- we have a lantern walk at dd1/dd2's waldrof school tonight.  Should be good weather for it too.  Mid to upper 40s.  We probably wont see that sort of "warm night" for much longer... looks like we may be back to snow on the weekend.  Which is kind of ok with me.  I'm really enjoying the wood smoke and dry leaf scents of late autumn, it's one of my favorite times of year, but between the snows and storms and whatnot the scenery is kind of, well, ugh-tastic.  Lots of dead leaves and bare bones in the woods, just asking for a little snow to jazz them up!  So while part of me wants to keep the smells and sounds and warmth of the season, part of me wants to have the visual pretty of the snow.  Of course, after a week of snow I'll be begging for the fall again!

random- has anyone every shaved a cat?  Our cat has medium long fur and she has this amazing ability to develop dreds.  Which look horrible and lead to eventual hairballs of horror.  We do our best with brushing but she was a stray and really doesn't /like/ being brushed (or even petted, we've tried those "glove" style combs to no avail) so it's tough.  I'm half joking here, but really... I feel like keeping her fur short would solve everyone's problems!  LOL  But our local grooming service wont even bath cats, let alone give them a trim.  And I've helped friends bath cats... not a game for the faint hearted.

Come ponder with me about food!
#82 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM

i have one of those toddler seat things with the seat in the lid. love it. but my kids dont flush stuff down it. the would rather draw on the walls. they do use too much tp sometimes though and clog it. gotta have a good plunger. :)

maia <<hugs>> i know how hard it is watching the man you love fight alcohol. 

i am starting to feel a little better. i know i whine about how awful i feel but honestly it is not as bad as last time. 

i am going to go get my hair cut. I am so sick of it. i want it shorter so that it doesnt get stuck in my coat zipper. lol. also i want to make it easy to blow dry so i can swim this winter for exercise. i hate wet hair when it is cold out. so i decided to go pay to get it cut just long enough to still use a pony tail but not by much. i think it will feel nice. the last time i got it cut was when i donated it. that was more than a year ago! 

i have never tried to shave a cat. i did have a long hair cat that got tangles and i tried using a tangle cutter. it was designed so that it caught the tangle but not the cat. i hated it and so did he. it would have been better to just hold the cat down and shave it. i had a friend, her mom shaved her cat at  least 4 times a year for the same reason. made him look like a lion and other cool stuff. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#83 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Postthey do use too much tp sometimes though and clog it. gotta have a good plunger. :)

maia <<hugs>> i know how hard it is watching the man you love fight alcohol.

Yes, I know you do, Lioness hug.gif

And the toilet-- omg, my ds uses so.much.paper. He's got this tiny little ass but the paper he uses, you'd think he was huge.

#84 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Maia - I own the whole Auel series, absolutely love it, re-read it frequently, and was anxiously awaiting the last book.  I was so disappointed with it I wanted to burn the damn thing.  I don't want to post any spoilers because I know you're still reading it, but it's so much repetition, boring descriptions, rehashing the previous books, and the repeat of a ridiculous scenario that she had already used in a previous book.  It basically had no plot, and no real ending.  I sure hope you like it more than I did, because I think it's a waste of paper.

Clay - I have done both, shaved and clipped.  I have owned more than one cat that gets dreaded.  It really depends on the cat, but in my experience the sound and feel of clippers has a tendency to terrify cats and make them fight harder.  A small, very sharp pair of scissors used in several short sessions seems to work the best.  Both my little fluff girl (who died last year) and my ex's big coon cat (still living with him) would get poop stuck in their butt fur and need that clipped out, which is an adventure.  Girls of any species don't like you messing around their parts with sharp implements.  After you get them all clipped out, you might want to invest in a really good shedding tool like "The Furminator", as well as a shedding blade.  Shedding blades look like a comb with a long handle, but the teeth of the comb actually have a sharp edge, so they cut through developing mats.

3xmama - Welcome to the group!  I have good contacts and am really good at tracking down hidden Pagans, so if you ever decide you want some help finding others in your area, give me a holler.

As for me - This is my last day of having the internet at home.  It gets shut off at midnight tonight.  I'll still be able to access it at work, at the Starbucks, at my in-laws house, etc. so I'll still be around.  I just might miss a few days in a row here and there.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#85 of 220 Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View PostMaia - I own the whole Auel series, absolutely love it, re-read it frequently, and was anxiously awaiting the last book.  I was so disappointed with it I wanted to burn the damn thing.  I don't want to post any spoilers because I know you're still reading it, but it's so much repetition, boring descriptions, rehashing the previous books, and the repeat of a ridiculous scenario that she had already used in a previous book.  It basically had no plot, and no real ending.  I sure hope you like it more than I did, because I think it's a waste of paper.

I finished it last night, and I totally agree...it was insipid; what a waste of time and paper! I am so disappointed in her! I wonder if other people felt the same way. Actually I felt each book got more and more watery as they went on, but this last one....ugh. BO-ring.

#86 of 220 Old 11-11-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I wasn't sure if it was that, or that 3x is your...um...body size, but I didn't want to ask redface.gif

ROTFLMAO.gifOh good grief, I never even considered that!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i am going to go get my hair cut. I am so sick of it. i want it shorter so that it doesnt get stuck in my coat zipper. lol. also i want to make it easy to blow dry so i can swim this winter for exercise. i hate wet hair when it is cold out. so i decided to go pay to get it cut just long enough to still use a pony tail but not by much. i think it will feel nice. the last time i got it cut was when i donated it. that was more than a year ago! 

I have been so happy since I cut my hair! I finally figured out how to wear it so it looks nice, stays out of my way and makes me feel good all in under 3 minutes! I hope getting it cut does the same for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

Maia - I own the whole Auel series, absolutely love it, re-read it frequently, and was anxiously awaiting the last book.  I was so disappointed with it I wanted to burn the damn thing.  I don't want to post any spoilers because I know you're still reading it, but it's so much repetition, boring descriptions, rehashing the previous books, and the repeat of a ridiculous scenario that she had already used in a previous book.  It basically had no plot, and no real ending.  I sure hope you like it more than I did, because I think it's a waste of paper.

Clay - I have done both, shaved and clipped.  I have owned more than one cat that gets dreaded.  It really depends on the cat, but in my experience the sound and feel of clippers has a tendency to terrify cats and make them fight harder.  A small, very sharp pair of scissors used in several short sessions seems to work the best.  Both my little fluff girl (who died last year) and my ex's big coon cat (still living with him) would get poop stuck in their butt fur and need that clipped out, which is an adventure.  Girls of any species don't like you messing around their parts with sharp implements.  After you get them all clipped out, you might want to invest in a really good shedding tool like "The Furminator", as well as a shedding blade.  Shedding blades look like a comb with a long handle, but the teeth of the comb actually have a sharp edge, so they cut through developing mats.

3xmama - Welcome to the group!  I have good contacts and am really good at tracking down hidden Pagans, so if you ever decide you want some help finding others in your area, give me a holler.

As for me - This is my last day of having the internet at home.  It gets shut off at midnight tonight.  I'll still be able to access it at work, at the Starbucks, at my in-laws house, etc. so I'll still be around.  I just might miss a few days in a row here and there.

Thanks Feral! I will letcha know if I decide I want to get more involved with others. As it stands now, I'm pretty well set, esp if I can chat with other pagans online. thumb.gif

I've spent time without the internet before...it can be difficult to say the least! Good luck with that!!

And those of you who are shaving or trimming cat...you are brave. I can't imagine trying to hold my cat down and trim or shave her, eeek! 

#87 of 220 Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM

Maia: I don't know what the relationship with DS/you/your mom is and am not aware of the history BUT is she the kind of person that needs to be asked to do things rather than offering?  My mom is the kind of person that I could be sitting in a snow storm naked next to her holding a coat and I would HAVE to ask her for it before she would give it to me.  You know the kind of person I mean?  I say it's worth the try but, again, don't know the dynamics there.

Also, is it terrible that I laughed out loud when you said you put your DS in a human sized oven.  I'm sure being the mama that was a terrible feelign after like what the HELLLLL did I just do(by the way, why were there not people there to tell you not to go in them, i'm sure you weren't the first person!!) but how you related the story made me chuckle.  holy crap.  

Clay/Witchy: What is a lantern walk?  I googled it and was more confused and I know you ladies always have excellent, comprehensive information that I can understand.  From what I'm gathering it seems really neat.  I just am trying to understand the significance.  

Feral: I can't remember, where in Upstate are you?  I'm in the Binghamton area, which technically is Central NY, I suppose but we say Upstate because we aren't, you know, downstate. haha, not the city, outer city sprawl, or LI.  Come back often - sit and enjoy your Starbucks beverage and check in!!

It's 11-11-11 and I feel like I should do something special but all I want to do is lay on my couch and gorge on chocolate...well, I suppose that IS special. 

Hugs to all - hopefully this weirdo-vibe will lift soon and our "new continents" will rise out of the ocean.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#88 of 220 Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Vydalea - I'm not actually in NY yet, but it already feels more like home than here, which is why I have it listed as my location.  The farm is in Oswego County, in the Rome area.  Much farther north than you are, but still not all the way upstate.

I have a dilemma.  I was directed by Kali to get my tattoo done before trying to get pregnant.  I want it done.  But every time I go in it seems like the pain is worse, and the finishing time estimate gets longer.  I'm running out of tolerance, patience, and money for this project.  I'm very tempted to just quit for now, and finish whenever I'm done having kids.  But...that will be many years from now, and who knows what kind of shape we'll be in financially by then.  I'm starting to regret ever having gotten it.  I really don't know what to do.  Can I get some other opinions on this?

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#89 of 220 Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

I have a dilemma.  I was directed by Kali to get my tattoo done before trying to get pregnant.  I want it done.  But every time I go in it seems like the pain is worse, and the finishing time estimate gets longer.  I'm running out of tolerance, patience, and money for this project.  I'm very tempted to just quit for now, and finish whenever I'm done having kids.  But...that will be many years from now, and who knows what kind of shape we'll be in financially by then.  I'm starting to regret ever having gotten it.  I really don't know what to do.  Can I get some other opinions on this?

What kind of time frame are you at right now? Is it feasible to just get it done in one sitting and be done with it? When DH got his last tattoo, the artist let him sit for as long as he was able to tolerate, which for DH is good amount of time because of his pain tolerance. Hmmm........talking with the Gods can be so cryptic. What is it that Kali was wanting you to learn before having kids (please don't feel as though you have to share that!)? Is it possible that She doesn't feel as though you are getting the lesson and is extending the experience purposefully? Is it possible that She wants you to learn to roll with the unexpected, expensive and painful? Because that is sometimes how pregnancy, labor, birth and child rearing can be (I know from experience....). Or patience and perseverance in the face of opposition...I'll be honest, I've never worked with Kali, so I'm not at all sure how she works. I'm just kind of throwing out any and all thoughts that have crossed through my head on the matter so feel free to pick, choose and/or ignore. smile.gif I hope it clarifies for you soon!!

#90 of 220 Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM

At the end of the last session I asked the artist how long it would takt to finish from here - just doing Kali - and she said "at least" two hours.  Before she started she estimated 4-6 hours total to color the whole piece.  She's charging us the friend rate, which is the only reason we're able to afford it, but we can't do too many more hours.  Also, my pain tolerance for this particular piece is really low.  I'm super bony (I know you can't tell from the pics, but I'm a size 2, very skinny) and the piece is shaped in such away that it avoids all the flesh I have, and it centered over my ribs, spine, and hips.  It hurts so much I can barely stand it.  I only managed to sit for about an hour last time.

I honestly can't guess what Kali's purpose is here.  In the beginning, it was clear that she wanted this is tribute for all she has done for me (which is a ton).  But I knew that my time with her would be temporary, and it seems that that time is coming to and end.  She isn't gone from my life, but has drawn away, and Hestia has stepped up to take Her place as patron.

I have no idea what Kali's intention is now.  I feel like the healing was given some help this last time, as I healed much faster than usual.  Maybe she is trying to help em get through it faster?  I honestly don't know.  I feel like I'm wimping out if I quit now, but at the same time I don't feel the same urgency that I once did.  I don't know how to feel about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page