~*~**~*NOVEMBER Pagan Families Circle!!!~*~*~~****~ - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 220 Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun View Post

Cari - We put up our 4ft little tree yesterday and that kept them pretty busy.  I like having the big stuff done - not that 4ft is big, but YKWIM!  LOL  (I don't understand the salt lamp things myself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

Red - I forget where you are, but please keep your snow to yourself!  I'd be just as happy if we got none this year.

Gun - Yuck, I got that once in my feet (hiking for a month will do that to you) and it was awful.  I hope you feel better soon.

Cari - I can't believe you're putting your tree up already!  We'll be lucky if we get ours up and decorated the night before Yule.

Yeah I'm a bit nuts for the silly season at times ;)  I usually can't wait to get the tree up!   When I was growing up, it was momma's tradition that the weekend after Thanksgiving we would go out to the tree farm, select a tree and come home and get to work!  Every few years we would string popcorn (we'd spray laquer it, and triple seal it in plastic bags after the holiday season.. usually got a couple of years from it!)  We put a lot of effort into keeping those trees alive every year hehe... but they made it till Jan 1 every year!   You should see the living/dining area hehehe... there are stockings and banners and garland... a little fibre optic tree, my entire ceramic holiday village is set up (can't find it's lights *sigh*)  I do LOVE how the house feels when the halls are all decked :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I am NOT sick joy.gif

What is a salt lamp?

I was gonna go google you an image...but wolfcat beat me to it!   They are a chunk of this gorgeous orangey himalayan salt with a lamp fixture in it.  They put out a wonderful warm light... I always find if I read by it for half an hour before bed I sleep SO much better... not sure if I'm imagining that or not, but if it works I don't question it lol.  The teenager covets mine, and he isn't getting it lol so I'm getting him one for giftmas hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Himalayan salt lamp This is a Himalayan Salt lamp. It is a large lump of salt, mounted with a light inside. It works as a deionizer both physically and energetically.

Black Friday - I was there. At Menards. Everyone was really nice and polite (no pepper spray!). We weren't getting presents, we were getting household stuff that we need to get/replace but hadn't done it yet. We got tons of glass bakeware (for freezing meals), and king-bed sheets for under $10. dizzy.gif

Yule - One or two gifts for each of the kids. Nothing for us adults. Of course, that's not counting what my parents are getting us. Other than that, I'm taking a page out of this book with the "Dark of the Year" 3-part series (the third part is scheduled to be out the 1st). I reference the blog in my Podcast episode for tonight, "Give Thanks", which isn't bad, if I do say so myself. I think it really touches on what this time of year means to us as Pagans and as humans.

Happy birthday (belated) Clay!birthday.gif

This has been a heck of a week. DH got in trouble last Sat. for needing to use the bathroom. He got fired on Monday. On Sat., I yelled at him, then we figured out how much he was making, less the gas he was using per week. He was bringing home less than minimum wage because of gas and his 50 min. commute. So he put in 20 applications by Tuesday, got an interview at a fast food restaurant, and got the job! Technically, he was unemployed for 29 hours. I think this will be a lot less stress for the same amount of money. thumb.gif

We made TONS of food last week, so we really don't need to do much cooking right now (yay!). My parents took us and my Grandma out to eat for Thanksgiving. It was okay. We stayed in the hotel with them to go shopping the next morning. DD was up all night (DH took her to the lobby), my mom was sick all night (we ate supper at McDonald's - YUCK!), and I was grumpy. But we got our stuff, it could have been worse, and we were grateful to be home by 10:30 Friday morning. love.gif

On the upside, I got a wicked-bright lime-green shirt!  orngtongue.gif

Wow 29hrs, nice!    Congrats to him on getting a new job so quickly... nothing worse than stressing over money, especially at this time of year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Cari - so glad homeschooling is working out for your boy.  How long is the school break for children in Australia?  My daughter was wondering if they get two months off in Dec-January like we do in July-August.  I love the term "boybarian" 

Maia, my dh is Catholic and I committed when we married to raise our children Catholic.  I don't know if I would make the same commitment now, 20 years later, but a vow is a vow.  I took my older son to his first reconciliation recently, and they had a few hundred children and parents in a big ceremony and about 10 priests all ready to hear the first confessions.  I pointed out all of the priests all lined up in a pew and my son said "So many Fathers!  But where are all the Mothers?  I only have you and I have Mary for my Mothers..." I wanted to high five him for seeing the imbalance there.   There are things that I find beautiful and very special about Catholicism, but - where are the Mothers, indeed?

My dh did something similar, Wolfcat - took a lower-paying lower-status job close to home to make the same money he was after expenses.  There is even opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately he is not getting on well with his boss so there is even insecurity there, too.  

I will keep my fingers crossed for your baby dreams, Feral Fox!

It looks like my sister is having another baby through IVF (yay!!! h

Thanks hun!    He's SO much happier and relaxed now that he's home :)   Here, when they start holidays depends on grade... the grade 11/12's are already done and had their 'schoolies' week (which is when the graduating grade 12's invade the gold coast for almost a week and often do stupid things like drinking too much and getting in trouble... although this year it was amazingly quiet on the news for schoolies related antics :)  Most of the kids finish up December 9 and start back Jan 23rd... so it's actually about 6ish weeks of holiday.   They DO get several 2week breaks during the year though so all in all they go about the same number of days as the US.

Re: bolded bit... very intuitive of your son!  winky.gif  Sadly, if there were more 'mothers' and not so much emphasis on the priesthood and the separation of genders, maybe the catholic church wouldn't be in such a sad state :( 

Must race out & get the boy from school!  Might pop back on later!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#182 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 01:13 AM

Geez, threadsplosion!  I leave for a day or so, and there's so many more posts I can barely get through them!  I have no idea who said what, so congrats on happy holidays, good vacations, and re-employed DHs!  I'll try to catch back up this week.

We had a great time on our date.  Ex and Badger also came along, and ex got a super cute video of Badger bouncing around and dancing to the music on my lap.  It's on his Facebook fan page (yes, my son has a fan page, lol).  I wish I could link it here, but that would give away my true identity. bag.gif

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#183 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 AM

Happy belated birthday Clay!

Quote:

I have the worst luck growing things anywhere. I wish I could get into it more, get better at it. I used to have fake plants just so it wouldn't look sterile in my house, but that's so lame bag.gif I do have one giant rubber tree plant named Emily (ds named her years ago) and she thrives pretty well. Though it's hard to kill a rubber tree plant.

We have a Christmas cactus from a few years ago, but that's it. It's a miracle it's survived with how many times my kids have uprooted it, fertilized it with glitter, etc... I'd love to have more, but I'm waiting to have a more stable living situation and the kids to get old enough that I don't have to worry about them destroying it...

Quote:

This has been a heck of a week. DH got in trouble last Sat. for needing to use the bathroom. He got fired on Monday. On Sat., I yelled at him, then we figured out how much he was making, less the gas he was using per week. He was bringing home less than minimum wage because of gas and his 50 min. commute. So he put in 20 applications by Tuesday, got an interview at a fast food restaurant, and got the job! Technically, he was unemployed for 29 hours. I think this will be a lot less stress for the same amount of money. thumb.gif

What a week! Let me get this straight: they fired him for using the bathroom? Glad that everything worked out in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
id I see someone mention latkes?  eat.gif  Yum, YUM!

I suck at making latkes. They are always soggy.

Anyway, we have the tree up. Menorah and nativity scene out. I want to set up a spiral of 21 candles to count down the solstice, but the platter I got to hold everything is too small, and I know if it sits on my kitchen table, the toddler will scatter it. We've been listening to holiday music non-stop since Thanksgiving dinner, and we watched our first holiday movie as a family (the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas). We made some solstice ornaments (yellow yarn balls with golden glitter for suns), and my husband and I have been making eggnog most nights. I love love love this time of year!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#184 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Well, it seems like things are looking up around here!!  

I have a Christmas Cactus, too, and a jade plant.  2 goldfish plants upstairs in my office and a shamrock in the bathroom (it's a cold bathroom with lots of light it does spectacularly).  They are all low maintenance plants (okay except the shamrock but I've brought it close to death and revived it many times).  

The carpet installers are coming today so I am *patiently* waiting to start decorating!  I'm jealous hearing all the stories of decorating!  I love (moderately) decorating my house and this year is bound to be awesome since Z is 19 mos so she's loving the sparkliness of teh season.  She is not, however, loving the walking rudolph I got out this morning...serious melt down...like mama, what the HECK is that.  so funny.  

so another newbie question: what does everyone do to specifically celebrate yule/winter solstice?  I know there were a few discussions earlier this month about welcoming the sun first thing in the morning which sounds like fun.  just looking for some ideas.  thanks!

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#185 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 AM

i want my tree up! i usually get DH to put it up the day after thanksgiving but this year he wants a real tree and the weather wasnt cooperating. so wait till next weekend we will.

ii kill plants. not on purpose but it happens. DH has to take care of the plants of he wants them to live. lol. guess who will be taking care of the tree? LOL.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#186 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 02:51 PM

way behind, posting so i dont frget to post

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#187 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Checking in quickly.  Hugs to everyone.

I'm having pain in the surgical area but I'm seriously hesitant to call gyn again.  The pain has been going on for days but I'm not bleeding, nor do I have a fever.

If it's still hurting after I get my car inspected and go to the grocery store (Tuesday), I'll call her.  It's been almost 6 weeks...I shouldn't be feeling this way!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#188 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostMaia, I like my latkes with ketchup, actually. Sour cream with perogies, though.  This is my favorite song to eat them by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-7WdpB72o   I love the video, too - I TOTALLY have dreams like this.

Aubergine, I have just lost my faith in you as a human bean. Ketchup, really? EW...but M, the self-admitted King Of Ketchup, says "She's my kind of woman" eyesroll.gif lol.gif And then we got through about one minute of that video before he said "Turn that off before I kill somebody!" and I agreed...watched enough to get the gist of it.

Anyway. Kidding. I still love you. But that was just weird; we both had a pretty visceral "Don't Like It At All" reaction orngtongue.gif What was that? From a movie?

Leaving M's tomorrow greensad.gif I have had a good time, all in all. After my last post, he decided that he was bound and determined to find out if it really is all between his ears or if it's meds. He rallied in a really awesome way thumb.gif thumb.gif thumb.gif He does, though, have lots of issues, one of which is anxiety, so being anxious about that really doesn't help matters any. I found a way to help him relax: massage orngbiggrin.gif

I am ready to see my boy, though. Witchy...I bought him a stuffed Owly orngbiggrin.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#189 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

What a week! Let me get this straight: they fired him for using the bathroom? Glad that everything worked out in the end!

Quote:

That is freaking nuts about your DH. What kind of job did he have before? A career type thing?

I dunno about glass bakeware for freezing, though. That doesn't sound at all safe to me. I know what would happen with that in my deep freeze!

He worked as a Product Associate at Cabela's (people call, have specific questions about products, he gets them). He was gonna go on a bathroom break, but got a call before he could sign out. The call lasted 45 minutes and, per his training, he wasn't allowed to transfer it. He put them on hold (saying he was going to look something up) and ran to the bathroom. On his way back, his boss (a real by-the-book stickler type) told him to finish the call and go home.

The sad thing is, during the meeting over this whole thing, they said that what he did was understandable, but because he was on probation (for his "numbers" - half his PA class is on probation!), the fact that he got sent home meant he "broke" his probation and they had to fire him for THAT.

He liked the job, but the company was kind of a pain to work for - a little too demanding for the level of work, kwim? He's going to go back to school for what he really wants to do.

We freeze in glass all the time. It works great. We just have to be extra careful how we stack things... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post
so another newbie question: what does everyone do to specifically celebrate yule/winter solstice?  I know there were a few discussions earlier this month about welcoming the sun first thing in the morning which sounds like fun.  just looking for some ideas.  thanks!

I don't have anything specifically planned, as yet. So I'm up for ideas.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#190 of 220 Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
 I want to set up a spiral of 21 candles to count down the solstice, but the platter I got to hold everything is too small, and I know if it sits on my kitchen table, the toddler will scatter it. We've been listening to holiday music non-stop since Thanksgiving dinner, and we watched our first holiday movie as a family (the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas). We made some solstice ornaments (yellow yarn balls with golden glitter for suns), and my husband and I have been making eggnog most nights. I love love love this time of year!

I want one of those 21 candle spirals.  I have enough tealights to put one together, but that would be pretty big, yes.  Maybe I could do something with clay, let it air-dry....

My first eggnog is in the fridge, waiting for me to pour the first glass and add a slug of rum.  I am prolonging the anticipation.

Quote:

Aubergine, I have just lost my faith in you as a human bean. Ketchup, really? EW...but M, the self-admitted King Of Ketchup, says "She's my kind of woman" eyesroll.giflol.gif And then we got through about one minute of that video before he said "Turn that off before I kill somebody!" and I agreed...watched enough to get the gist of it.

Anyway. Kidding. I still love you. But that was just weird; we both had a pretty visceral "Don't Like It At All" reaction orngtongue.gif What was that? From a movie?

The funny thing is that latkes are the ONLY meal I crave the Red Condiment with.  I had to whip up some latkes yesterday after our conversation on here.  They were yummy.  Ya gotta eat them as they come off the pan or they do get soggy, though!

I dunno - I enjoy Matisyahu.  I thought the chorus of the Miracle song really pretty - and I totally have dreams where I meet myself but I look nothing like me ("I'm Matisyahu, the warrior!").  I love the `miracle on ice' humor of the Greeks and Maccabees facing off in a hockey game in the video -- and how Antiochus makes his prisoners wear santa suits....and the actor playing Antiochus is a ringer for my oral surgeon, whom I enjoy...well, to each his own, I guess.  Hey, what do you and M. think of this one, Maia?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDzCfg6GD0  (copying the link and Bolt.gif....I think it's fun but once you listen to this you will *never* get it out of your head.)

I love the Celtic stuff, but sometimes I wish for Pagan music that has a sense of humour, too, like all the Hanukkah songs I can think of do....anyone know of any?

Quote:

He worked as a Product Associate at Cabela's 

We freeze in glass all the time. It works great. We just have to be extra careful how we stack things... lol

I don't have anything specifically planned, as yet. So I'm up for ideas.

Cabela's sounds like a fun place to work in theory - too bad it didn't turn out that way for your dh, Wolfcat.  

I freeze in pyrex/tempered glass all the time, the sort that says it goes oven to freezer on the label.  I also freeze things like soups in quart jars, but I have an upright freezer so I can stand them carefully.  I've lost maybe 3 jars over the years, but I've been successful with dozens and dozens of them.

I am looking for copies of the Enya/Lorena Mckennitt/kate Bush albums on midwinter/snow/solstice themes for solstice music.  And we always have a Soup and Solstice dinner with homemade bread and lots of candles. 

#191 of 220 Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

The funny thing is that latkes are the ONLY meal I crave the Red Condiment with.  I had to whip up some latkes yesterday after our conversation on here.  They were yummy.  Ya gotta eat them as they come off the pan or they do get soggy, though!

I dunno - I enjoy Matisyahu.  I thought the chorus of the Miracle song really pretty - and I totally have dreams where I meet myself but I look nothing like me ("I'm Matisyahu, the warrior!").  I love the `miracle on ice' humor of the Greeks and Maccabees facing off in a hockey game in the video -- and how Antiochus makes his prisoners wear santa suits....and the actor playing Antiochus is a ringer for my oral surgeon, whom I enjoy...well, to each his own, I guess.  Hey, what do you and M. think of this one, Maia?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDzCfg6GD0  (copying the link and Bolt.gif....I think it's fun but once you listen to this you will *never* get it out of your head.)

I love the Celtic stuff, but sometimes I wish for Pagan music that has a sense of humour, too, like all the Hanukkah songs I can think of do....anyone know of any?

Latkes are yum...we actually do enjoy Matisyahu, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I showed DH this last video (He grew up Jewish), and while he rolled his eyes a little, he seemed to get into it, and appreciated their musical talents. He's heard of the Maccabeats before.

How about Emerald Rose? And a smaller artist that I saw recently is Jenna Greene. She does serious music, but she jokes around a lot, too. She was at my friend's shop for her fall festival, so I got to talk to her. She's very sweet. http://www.greeneladymusic.com/

Come ponder with me about food!
#192 of 220 Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Hello all! Sorry to have disappeared for awhile. I've been sick and the kids have been sick. Not just a little sick, either, so I'm glad for it to be gone gone gone! I'm still not feeling completely normal, but I'm hoping in the next couple of days things will be all worked out. smile.gif

So I seem to be the only one who isn't quite in the holiday spirit yet!! It doesn't even feel like its the holiday season, though maybe it will in the next couple of days since the weather finally got cold and we might get some snow soon. DD and I missed Thanksgiving since we were sick and that's not helping much, either. We're going to put up our tree this weekend and I'm sure that will force some holiday cheer into me. lol.gif

I haven't had latkes but I found a recipe for them recently and I can't wait to make them! Or rather, have DH (who is a chef) make them. I can't fry things to save my life and this sounds like one yummy recipe I don't want to mess up!!!

This is the first year I'm actually going to celebrate Yule, so I am looking forward to that though I'm also a little nervous having never done it before. I'm looking forward to hearing what all of you ladies will be doing for it so I can put together my own celebration.  thumb.gif

December is always our busiest month, though, and I'm just not looking forward to it. My birthday, 4 extended family Christmas celebrations, our own Yule celebration, a family reunion, my BIL is in town from Seattle (only time of the year he's home) and this year we have to dog sit for my parents one weekend, too. All in a 2.5 week stretch. I already have a headache. uhoh3.gif

I'm glad to hear that everyone seems to be doing well!! As long as no one else gets sick, I will be around more!!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#193 of 220 Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
gun

3XMama - glad to hear you are on your way to recovery!!!!  My DH is a trained chef too, although he isn't currently working as a chef, and geez it has been so easy for me to pick up the pounds since we have been together!  It is great but fattening for me!

Vydalea - how'd the carpeting go?

The girls had picture day today and were so awesome!!  BUT I didn't much care for the pics.  We tried a new studio and it was just lacking.  Our fave photog left the last place w/ no forwarding addy.  She was SOOOO good!  The good news is i actually walked out of a photography session owing less than $60!!!!  Unheard of from me!!  Then i made a big stumble on the sidewalk in the rain and fell in the muck, and ...looked so sexy, I'll tell ya!  

Made progress I think w/ our IRS mess today!  Here's to hoping!  And l also had a LOVELY MNO last night w/ some women from my preK co-op.  Always nice to get a chance to think together!  

Have a wonderful day ladies!!

Peace- Heather
#194 of 220 Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:

3XMama - glad to hear you are on your way to recovery!!!!  My DH is a trained chef too, although he isn't currently working as a chef, and geez it has been so easy for me to pick up the pounds since we have been together!  It is great but fattening for me!

Great but fattening is definitely accurate! The few times DH does cook (he is working as a chef so cooking isn't high on his list of things to do when he's home!) I can't keep him away from the loads of butter and cream. Its tasty but wow am I glad I do most of the cooking!

Maia-Sorry your visit is over already. I hope you travel safely!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#195 of 220 Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Aubergine: Soup and home made bread for solstice sounds delicious.  You all know how much I love soup.  Maybe I'll make something with our summer garden veggies - carrot soup or something...

Wolfcat: That is a really crummy situation that your DH was in.  Seriously?  a 45 minute call with a full bladder and no one could just make an exception?  Was this the straw that pushed him back to school for what he really wants to do?  What is it that he wants to do?  

Maia: Glad to hear your visit went well...time with our loves is never enough!  Hope you arrived home safely.

The carpet installation went well, gun, thanks for asking!  It looks really great - the installers that came were awesome and got it done in 45 minutes just in time for Z's nap!  It definitely makes the living room more cozy.  

What's the weather like where everyone is?  It's been 60 here for days and some plants are actually starting to bloom...it's kind of crazy...

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#196 of 220 Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Grats on your new carpet :D  Living down here, carpet is reserved for bedrooms only.. if that!  Queenslanders have no need for the floor to feel soft & warm underfoot... give us COLD hard tiles or hardwood any day!    Re: solstice... well it's summer solstice for us... and I don't really celebrate it, I hide from it LOL.  I do wake up super early and greet the Sun with a little solo ritual.. and when I say early, I mean 415am or so eyesroll.gif  lol.  We usually tend to bbq for dinner on solstice and have LOTS of fresh summer veggie dishes eat.gif  Then I give quiet thanks at sunset for the coming shorter days! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Checking in quickly.  Hugs to everyone.

I'm having pain in the surgical area but I'm seriously hesitant to call gyn again.  The pain has been going on for days but I'm not bleeding, nor do I have a fever.

If it's still hurting after I get my car inspected and go to the grocery store (Tuesday), I'll call her.  It's been almost 6 weeks...I shouldn't be feeling this way!

Goodness, yeah I definitely think you should get yourself checked over... I thought the method of surgery you had was supposed to make recovery times LESS????? 

Quote:

He worked as a Product Associate at Cabela's (people call, have specific questions about products, he gets them). He was gonna go on a bathroom break, but got a call before he could sign out. The call lasted 45 minutes and, per his training, he wasn't allowed to transfer it. He put them on hold (saying he was going to look something up) and ran to the bathroom. On his way back, his boss (a real by-the-book stickler type) told him to finish the call and go home.

The sad thing is, during the meeting over this whole thing, they said that what he did was understandable, but because he was on probation (for his "numbers" - half his PA class is on probation!), the fact that he got sent home meant he "broke" his probation and they had to fire him for THAT.

What  a bunch of BS.  Good riddance to them I say... I hope that he follows his dreams and finds a career he loves :D

Quote:

Vydalea - how'd the carpeting go?

The girls had picture day today and were so awesome!!  BUT I didn't much care for the pics.  We tried a new studio and it was just lacking.  Our fave photog left the last place w/ no forwarding addy.  She was SOOOO good!  The good news is i actually walked out of a photography session owing less than $60!!!!  Unheard of from me!!  Then i made a big stumble on the sidewalk in the rain and fell in the muck, and ...looked so sexy, I'll tell ya!  

Goodness, hope you didn't hurt yourself going over??  I am the LEAST graceful person in the entire world lol... so you can take heart in the fact that at least one person has looked even 'sexier' upended hehehehe.  

Just before I officially pulled Lucas from school, they had their photos done... I talked with him and in the end we (parents) decided we would keep him home that day.  He doesn't need a photo of him putting on a fake smile to remind him how unhappy school was for him, nor do the little ferals he went to school with get to have a photo of him to remember the kid they bullied by!   What I did do, was get in touch with a friend who has taken some photography classes  and have her do some portraits of him at a park.  They came out spectacular!   She wasn't even going to charge me, but I gave her 50bucks anyway... and she's gotten me some prints done of a few of the best shots... I tell ya that is the cheapest portrait session I've ever had thumb.gif

Quote:

What's the weather like where everyone is?  It's been 60 here for days and some plants are actually starting to bloom...it's kind of crazy...

Heh... It was 90ish F here yesterday.  And it was homeschool park day... and omg did I get burnt lol.  I came home & aloe'd myself like crazy all evening and amazingly enough I just have a rosy glow now, not the bright red lobster look I had yesterday!   My tomato plants bought the farm, and I managed to get a few strawberries but the birds stole most of them hehe... I have a couple of capsicum nearly ripe (which I will go pluck this afternoon)  in the garden  treehugger.gif  We're supposed to have some thundery showers which will hopefully break the heat a bit!  

I'm feeling very detached from well... just about everything.. lately.  I think I need a vacation.... ah well, I get to see Stevie Nicks in concert saturday night :D   Not quite a vacation, but fun at least!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#197 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 AM

Morning all:)

I love latkes, I mean Love them.  I love potatoes any way they are cooked.  When I was a kid I ate mine with applesauce but now I like sour cream.  I think the best way to eat them is cold out of the fridge the next morning.

I hope everyone is doing well, DOK I hope you feel better.  Sunday I woke up with the worst back pain of my life.   At first I thought I had kidney issues, I haven't been drinking enough water and not taking care of myself lately so I started drinking cranberry juice.  This Is not the problem, now I feel it in my bones, my hip on the left side?  It is enough to make me think about going to the Dr. Maybe at the end of the week if it is still hurting and difficult for me to get around.  Gosh sometimes getting old stinks.

Today my DH and I have been married for 21 years:)  I swear it feels like we just met yesterday.  Time has just flown by.  We were going to go out for Dinner but since I am not feeling well we will have to put it off and combine it with my Birthday next week.

I hope everyone has a great day:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#198 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 AM

second the thread-splosion but going to try and catch up before we hit December!  LOL

Happy happy to all the November birthdays, huzzah for family togetherness and surviving Black Friday, hopes that people feel better soon (DoK, TOTALLY get that doctor to take a look), congrats on home renovations and carpeting and pets and plants (we have spider plants that survive anything as well as a few vegetable plants... I throw leftover seeds into pots and stick them around the house.  they grow really well but don't really produce anything, it's just for the green).

holiday trees- we get our at the local natural cemetary... they clear out invasive plants every year and that includes some varieties of pine and spruce.  The trees are very "charlie brown's christmas" but it's fun to hike out into the woods and cut your own tree.  This year we'll get more branches to use for a winter spiral we'll host that night (the 10th, full moon).  I don't know if anyone will come, but I don't care!  And last night I finally found our box of holiday stuff.  Huzzah!

kiddos- about to duct tape them all to the walls.  Tor has 6 molars coming in and I am pulling my hair out.  He has become the poster boy for deranged toddler on a rampage.  Sort of like the little girl with the little curl, he bounces between good and horrid so fast I'm surrised he doesn't have whiplash.  He hit Tiel so hard yesterday I was really worried, and he and Ro have gotten into "biting wars" that have resulted in ripped clothing.  It's CRAZY.  And given that this is all happening right as we enter the "family" season I'm a bit worried about what the extended family will say about this behavior.  There are a lot of old school family members who do not react well to "unruly" kiddos.  Of course, I'm sure the old aunties will be /thrilled/ at Torin's mastery of body part language.  LOL  I remember when Ro went through that phase while we were at a family renunion... all these 80 year old little Italian ladies in their gloves and hats and there was Ro, decked out in ruffles and sunbonnet, informing people at the top of her voice that "You have a vAHginah" (emphasis hers).  Thank all the gods those wonderful ladies were so very hard of hearing.  LOL

gifts- we're doing the "Something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read" formula this year along with stockings for smaller stuff (chocolates, toothbrush, crayons, oranges). 

life- I NEED to find more time.  Anyone got a time machine?  I'm hoping to find an online teaching gig, I have gobs of homeschooling and kiddo related work to do, we have to finish some house projects before winter gets hard core, and I need time to be online... both as a moderator and as a plain old human in need of interaction with people who don't bite or rip their clothes off and run screaming round the house peeing on things.  Or at least, if they do, I don't have to clean it up.  ;)  I was joking that what we really need is one of those bounce house things grafted to the side of the house.  That way I could toss the kiddos into a real live padded room as necessary!  They'd have a blast, I'd have quiet time, all would be right with the world!  LOL  It could happen, right?

Ok... I love love love November.  It's my favorite month.  All cinnamon and nutmeg and leaves and geese and glorious full moons and mystery.  But I'm ready for December.  I pulled a kitchen tarot card and got the blender and yeah... I'm ready to mix things up and make something new.  In the immortal words of various immortals...

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SPOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NOT IN THE FACE, NOT IN THE FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and have fun storming the castle....

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#199 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 AM

DoK - How are you feeling? Did you go to the doctor?

Cari - Congrats!!! Funny. My partner and I normally don't celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had been together for years before we got married and already had kids, but when he got insurance through his job, I was uninsured, so I married him for the insurance. Not too romantic, so I've always celebrated when we became committed to each other instead. But this year, my husband is in some career-related contest where he needs to learn how to tie knots, among other things. I totally got into the pun of "tying the knot," and wanted to celebrate with going to a pretzel place and getting knot related gifts, so we are celebrating this Sunday after all. We'll have been married only three years.

Anyway, I can't believe that it's the end of November already. It has been so unseasonably warm here.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#200 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostMy first eggnog is in the fridge, waiting for me to pour the first glass and add a slug of rum.  I am prolonging the anticipation.

Hey, what do you and M. think of this one, Maia?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDzCfg6GD0  (copying the link and Bolt.gif....I think it's fun but once you listen to this you will *never* get it out of your head.)

I want to make eggnog...a low-carb version, but I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Hahaha on the song! I will send it to M and see what he thinks. DS is listening to the original of that song so I am familiar with the tune. LOL!

Oh, found this for you: http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=4314

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostThis is the first year I'm actually going to celebrate Yule, so I am looking forward to that though I'm also a little nervous having never done it before. I'm looking forward to hearing what all of you ladies will be doing for it so I can put together my own celebration.  thumb.gif

December is always our busiest month, though, and I'm just not looking forward to it. My birthday, 4 extended family Christmas celebrations, our own Yule celebration, a family reunion, my BIL is in town from Seattle (only time of the year he's home) and this year we have to dog sit for my parents one weekend, too. All in a 2.5 week stretch. I already have a headache. uhoh3.gif

Oh, ew sickness, glad you are all on the mend! I was fighting something bigtime, and I was so afraid I'd haul it up to M's...you are new here, dunno if you know, he has CML (leukemia). He is in remission at the moment, but I have to be very careful about bringing sickness around him. I was totally fine while there, and then the last day I started feeling icky again. I was (and am) fine with being sick now that I'm home-- better to get it out of my system now, y'know? But I feel good today.

What day is your birthday? M's is the 13th and my mom's is the 12th. They are exactly 20 years and 1 day apart in age, how weird is that.

Yule-- I hope Clay doesn't mind but I copied her "schedule" and then wrote out a December calendar with lots of stolen ideas winky.gif plus some of my own. So it does look like a very busy calendar, but it looks a lot more organized when on paper. Not so overwhelming.

Caregiver said she's available New Year's, and M has a couple days off, so I am going back up in a month! Woohoo! joy.gif Just for 3 days, this time. I probably won't be able to see him for awhile after that, so I'll take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostWolfcat: That is a really crummy situation that your DH was in.  Seriously?  a 45 minute call with a full bladder and no one could just make an exception?  Was this the straw that pushed him back to school for what he really wants to do?  What is it that he wants to do?  

Maia: Glad to hear your visit went well...time with our loves is never enough!  Hope you arrived home safely.

The carpet installation went well, gun, thanks for asking!  It looks really great - the installers that came were awesome and got it done in 45 minutes just in time for Z's nap!  It definitely makes the living room more cozy.  

What you said, and Cari too, about Wolfcat's DH's thing. That totally sounds like he's better off now. Srsly? D-U-M-B.

Yay on new carpet!

Our weather...silly, but up in MA it was 65* when I left, and came back to NC to 47* and dropping. Coming up the mountain, the rain changed over to snow! joy.gif It was wet and didn't stick, but looked oh-so-trippy, driving winky.gif Today it's chilly and overcast. I'm down with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostSunday I woke up with the worst back pain of my life.   At first I thought I had kidney issues, I haven't been drinking enough water and not taking care of myself lately so I started drinking cranberry juice.  This Is not the problem, now I feel it in my bones, my hip on the left side?  It is enough to make me think about going to the Dr. Maybe at the end of the week if it is still hurting and difficult for me to get around.  Gosh sometimes getting old stinks.

Today my DH and I have been married for 21 years:)  I swear it feels like we just met yesterday.  Time has just flown by.  We were going to go out for Dinner but since I am not feeling well we will have to put it off and combine it with my Birthday next week.

OW, did you find out what it was? Are you better now?

Happy anniversary! Woohoo! When's your birthday? My goodness, this thread has a lot of November and December birthdays.

OH! Y'all know those split-apart necklaces? M bought one for us for my birthday love.gif He isn't wearing his half because he wears a Miraculous Mary medal that was his father's, but it's hanging on the wall right by his calendar. I'm wearing mine at the moment. I want to buy a longer chain for it so I can wear it along with my other one and not have them both be the same length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostTor has 6 molars coming in and I am pulling my hair out.  He has become the poster boy for deranged toddler on a rampage.  Sort of like the little girl with the little curl, he bounces between good and horrid so fast I'm surrised he doesn't have whiplash.  He hit Tiel so hard yesterday I was really worried, and he and Ro have gotten into "biting wars" that have resulted in ripped clothing.  It's CRAZY.  And given that this is all happening right as we enter the "family" season I'm a bit worried about what the extended family will say about this behavior.  There are a lot of old school family members who do not react well to "unruly" kiddos.  Of course, I'm sure the old aunties will be /thrilled/ at Torin's mastery of body part language.  LOL  I remember when Ro went through that phase while we were at a family renunion... all these 80 year old little Italian ladies in their gloves and hats and there was Ro, decked out in ruffles and sunbonnet, informing people at the top of her voice that "You have a vAHginah" (emphasis hers).  Thank all the gods those wonderful ladies were so very hard of hearing.  LOL

gifts- we're doing the "Something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read" formula this year along with stockings for smaller stuff (chocolates, toothbrush, crayons, oranges). 

life- I NEED to find more time.  Anyone got a time machine?  I'm hoping to find an online teaching gig, I have gobs of homeschooling and kiddo related work to do, we have to finish some house projects before winter gets hard core, and I need time to be online... both as a moderator and as a plain old human in need of interaction with people who don't bite or rip their clothes off and run screaming round the house peeing on things.  Or at least, if they do, I don't have to clean it up.  ;)  I was joking that what we really need is one of those bounce house things grafted to the side of the house.  That way I could toss the kiddos into a real live padded room as necessary!  They'd have a blast, I'd have quiet time, all would be right with the world!  LOL  It could happen, right?

SIX molars??? I didn't even realize humans had that many at once. Poor you!

And boy, Tor sounds EXACTLY like my boy. Any tips, LMK, I will be happy to share. Mine's nearly 11 and I have obviously (somehow!) survived his babyhood. If there's anything I can do for you, PLEASE do let me know, even if it's just a shoulder to cry on or a listening ear. I will PM you my phone number if you need!

I like your 4x gifting idea. I am adding "something to eat" along with it.

Maybe I should send you a Hermione-style time turner! And you know, though, if you stuck all 4 in a bouncy house, they'd somehow find a way to bonk heads. Sigh.

So, I am home, glad to be with my Boo-boy, but sad to be w/o M.

At least, far as I can tell, M got through my leaving-day sober! He said "It was rough. I don't know how I did that". I said Yes, you do, tell me now what your "tools" were. And he thought about it and was able to articulate. So I said, now, remember that, because you now have tools to get through the next rough patch without drinking. You DID it! If this is possible, so are other things. And that's how I got 17 years. Just like you got through yesterday. He is looking forward to getting his 1-month chip on Sunday!

I'm not putting any eggs in any baskets for expectations. Lots of people relapse, and lots of people stay sober after the first time. And anything in between. But for now, I'm totally happy. I can't believe this is happening, my one dream-come-true orngbiggrin.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#201 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 AM

Checking in so I can catch up!  Clay I saw the last part of your post and I think you are missing just 1 more battle cry: ZOMBIE ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (that's DS2's favorite one right now and I think he's just a bit older than Tor).  I also would like a bouncy house for my kids.  Perhaps we can have one together and then sip tea while the kids bounce around and wear themselves out.

I just checked up on the holidays this year and I'm in for a trifecta of pain since Yule, Hanukkah & Christmas are all landing at the same time/week. dizzy.gif  Oi Vay!!  I forsee a soup & latkes kind of dinner on the 21st.  with a Yule Log Cake to boot!  love.gif

I love hearing about everyone else's ideas for the holidays and I want to steal that spiral candle idea, I just need to a make a holder for them - so next year, next year I will incorporate it!

Tomorrow is the day I will start putting up decorations and it will all come down at the end of 12th night (January 5th).  Did anyone see in the Land of Nod magazine the cute felt banners and stuff?  I will be trying my hand at making those  *Squeeee* but setting my expectations low on how they will turn out.

Are we interested in starting up/participating in our Yule Card Exchange?? Or shall I bring it up again in December's thread cold.gif

Love you to all as the holidays are about to start!!! blowkiss.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#202 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ Are we interested in starting up/participating in our Yule Card Exchange?? Or shall I bring it up again in December's thread cold.gif

Me, pick me, I want to participate! Somebody remind me when Dec's thread starts because you know I will forget! redface.gif

Mamas....Cari, 'specially. I did not have enough nursing school to cover this one.

First, I am poor and uninsured, so I need to try to do this w/o money if possible, first.

My family history for BP is low. Very low. Mine's been a consistent 110/70 since forever. The other week, I wanted to see if I could take my own BP, and to see if I remembered how. I kept coming up with like 150/85! I was like, surely I am doing this wrong.

So last night, on the way home, I stopped at one of those sit-down ones at the grocery store. I knew it would run high as I was on my way home from traveling and plus had just run into the store, literally.

First reading 144/79. Second, slightly lower. Third, 133/77.

Today, dragged out the BP cuff again. 3x I got an avg of 144/80.

WTF is going on???

Here are my stats: nonsmoker, nondrinker, just turned 52, female obviously lol.gif, low-carb diet, no exercise except my daily mom-running-around. ~40lbs less than I was over a year ago.

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm really rather freaked.

#203 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Yes, I'm a little early but wanted to start the December Pagan Families thread while I was online.

#204 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:

WTF is going on???

Here are my stats: nonsmoker, nondrinker, just turned 52, female obviously lol.gif, low-carb diet, no exercise except my daily mom-running-around. ~40lbs less than I was over a year ago.

Age.  Sad, but true.  Are you overweight at all?  It could be your weight catching up to you.  That's what happened with me.

#205 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Me, pick me, I want to participate! Somebody remind me when Dec's thread starts because you know I will forget! redface.gif

Mamas....Cari, 'specially. I did not have enough nursing school to cover this one.

First, I am poor and uninsured, so I need to try to do this w/o money if possible, first.

My family history for BP is low. Very low. Mine's been a consistent 110/70 since forever. The other week, I wanted to see if I could take my own BP, and to see if I remembered how. I kept coming up with like 150/85! I was like, surely I am doing this wrong.

So last night, on the way home, I stopped at one of those sit-down ones at the grocery store. I knew it would run high as I was on my way home from traveling and plus had just run into the store, literally.

WTF is going on???

Maia, whenever I see high blood pressure numbers on myself, i usually run right to sources of potassium first. The best food ones I know are cucumbers and bananas. i don't know if they are legal on your diet, but you might want to check out to see what is legal but high in potassium if those aren't. The second diet related thing is magnesium,. Roasted pumpkin seeds are really high in that, or you could take a bath in Epsom salts!

#206 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Age.  Sad, but true.  Are you overweight at all?  It could be your weight catching up to you.  That's what happened with me.

Nope. Low BP runs in my family. My almost 75yo mom has low. I have (or had) low, my ds has low, the women on my mom's side-- all low. And no, I'm technically overweight by about 25lbs probably, but I was 40lbs higher last year at this time! I am at 150lbs and last September I was at 185lbs. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostMaia, whenever I see high blood pressure numbers on myself, i usually run right to sources of potassium first. The best food ones I know are cucumbers and bananas. i don't know if they are legal on your diet, but you might want to check out to see what is legal but high in potassium if those aren't. The second diet related thing is magnesium,. Roasted pumpkin seeds are really high in that, or you could take a bath in Epsom salts!

Well, it couldn't hurt to try those things. I can get away with limited banana; I had some at M's. Like half a banana in a day and not two days running. Cukes, yes, I can have lots of those. Epsoms we have, ds loves epsom baths. I'll go see what else is high in those things! Maybe the cell salts I was taking before? Or does it have to be food/supplements?

Anyway. See y'all in December winky.gif

#207 of 220 Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:

WTF is going on???

I read that hibiscus(don't know about spelling) tea helps lower blood pressure.  I know that the zingers like red zinger, berry zinger have hibiscus in them.  Could it be all the travel you have just been doing? 

Thanks for the Happy Anniversary and my B-day is in Dec, gonna be 46:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#208 of 220 Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:

Nope. Low BP runs in my family. My almost 75yo mom has low. I have (or had) low, my ds has low, the women on my mom's side-- all low. And no, I'm technically overweight by about 25lbs probably, but I was 40lbs higher last year at this time! I am at 150lbs and last September I was at 185lbs. 

Well, it couldn't hurt to try those things. I can get away with limited banana; I had some at M's. Like half a banana in a day and not two days running. Cukes, yes, I can have lots of those. Epsoms we have, ds loves epsom baths. I'll go see what else is high in those things! Maybe the cell salts I was taking before? Or does it have to be food/supplements?

Anyway. See y'all in December winky.gif

If the cell salts have them, I'd say go for it. I also have Natural Calm, a mag supplement that you mix in water, but you have to be careful with that as too much, and whoo! scary bathroom trip (tmi, sorry).

#209 of 220 Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Maia - unless you are really short, you probably aren't overweight by 25lbs if you weigh 150lbs. I *am* pretty short at 5'3", and a "healthy weight" for someone my size is up to 140lbs.

Ugh. I'll catch up more later. Got to go parent...

#210 of 220 Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maia - unless you are really short, you probably aren't overweight by 25lbs if you weigh 150lbs. I *am* pretty short at 5'3", and a "healthy weight" for someone my size is up to 140lbs.

Ugh. I'll catch up more later. Got to go parent...

I'm very short-- not even 5'1", though that's what I tell people. Probably closer to 5'1/2" so yeah, 125lbs wouldn't be a bad weight for me. I'd be happy to be in the 130s though.

Oh-- I have a dr.appt. for Wednesday next. I'm scared shitless, mamas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page