~*~**~*NOVEMBER Pagan Families Circle!!!~*~*~~****~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

YAY, it gets to be me! Unless someone else beats me to posting, and then there will be two orngbiggrin.gif

Happy November, y'all! I used to hate my birthday month. I grew up in NJ where November is brown and ugly and dying. But now I love it. I'm so glad to be born in November.

How is everyone recovering from Halloweening? Samhaining?

For All-Soul's tomorrow we will visit a cemetery and a church. I hear you can release a soul from Purgatory by doing that. If there is one-- how cool is that? Not a hard price to pay. Two souls, one for ds and one for me.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#2 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Hey Dears! Happy November! October had several down days, a few rough patches but over all it was a good month. Looking forward to spending time with my in-laws this weekend.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Subbin' go me on day one.  Okay back to my papers, two due this week.  SUCKS!!!!  ROTFLMAO.gif

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#4 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Afternoon All:)

I just want to say not one Trick or Treater last night:( Maybe it's because of the snow?  Every year there seem to be less and less kids out there, how sad:( As a child, heck as an adult it is my favorite Holiday.  I hope everyone had a great night last night.  My guys had some friends over.  They watched scary movies and ate pizza and candy. 

This is a busy week for my DS.  He is getting ready to interview at the college that's his first choice.  I am so nervous for him and hoping he gets accepted. I have never felt this level of anxiety before.  This came so fast.  They will be 18 this month on the 18th, which seems just impossible.  Fingers crossed:)

I hope all is well with everyone:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#5 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Subbing on day 1!  Woohoo!  We had a blast ToT last night as we did 2 ToT events: 1 at my work where the kids were a bit off and whinneeeeeeeee and the 2nd at our friends at night.  The kids had a blast at the second one and might have been a bit too warm at my workplace.  I know I was and getting cranky with the heat.

With all souls day, I started a family tree project and hopefully DS1 will get excited about it.  We chatted last night about all his ancestors who might pop by for a visit and he was intrigued and wanted to know more.

I wish I had some marigolds today to put around the house, though some mums would look nice too.

Indigo - Good Luck with School

Redveg - Here's wishing you a smooth sailing November!

I'm still recovering from the candy with lots of delicious kefir and yogurt.  Unfortunately I need to get back on the exercise & diet bandwagon as I've gained 8lbs this month. Stress, Stress-eating and no exercise will do that to a girl.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#6 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 12:44 PM

NOVEMBER!!  :)

I love this month.  It's so cozy and filled with anticipation for all the holidays!  

Sounds like everyone had a nice Samhain/Halloween.  DD is too young for ToT and we don't get many kids on our street since it's a dead end so we went over to my sister's where her husband had DECKED out the porch and their livingroom.  DD had a blast greeting all the big kids dressed up in their costumes.  She was a little dinosaur.  I bought the costume last year in November for 80% off and it fit this year *phew!*  we ate lots of pizza and I gorged on my sister's stash of candy.  

Tonight we are doing our first Samhain meal.  It won't be anything elaborate - a white bean stew with tomatoes, peppers, spinach.  We'll set a place for the ancestors and *hopefully* talk about some fun memories of those that have passed.  

Indigo: Sending you motivating energy!  2 papers due in one week!  eek!  Are they at least on something you're interested in? 

redveg: will be thinking of you and your DS!!  how exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time.  Is he interviewing at the college or is admissions coming to him?  ((HUGS))

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#7 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Subbing.

I tried to post this afternoon but it didn't let me.

Made one of my mom's favorite soup for supper... Simple way for me to honor her memory without stirring too many emotions.

Valérie   
#8 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Welcome to November!  Good luck to all those in school (and applying to school)!

This was an eventful month for us, and I'm both happy and sad to see it end.  October went out with a bang, with us closing on our land...but not the land we originally bought.  At the last moment we traded our property for one of equal value just down the road.  We lost four acres in the deal, but gained peace of mind, and a lot of open space.  We had 18 acres of woods with a ton of swamp, and a snowmobile trail bisecting it.  We traded for 14 acres at the end of a dead-end private road, with about 5 acres open in the middle, and woods all around to shelter our home from the outside world.  The neighbors are lovely, the area is beautiful, and our land is absolutely perfect for us.  I can't wait for summer, so we can finally leave the city and head up to our land for good.

Badger went as the planet Jupiter for trick-or-treating.  What did everyone else's kids go as?

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#9 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Halloween was just about perfect for us. Weather. Super-over-the-top-excited preschooler. Kids both dressed as monkeys. We had a ball ToTing. Then we got up this morning and went to a museum that has a big exhibit on the Day of the Dead (which had a huge piece about the Haymarket Martyrs, which made my pro-Union, anarchist sympathizer heart just sing to see it there)! And of course, we sampled some sugar skulls. And chocolate skulls. Um, why do I bother having the Sugar Sprite exchange all the ToT candy for a toy again? LOL. Anyway, they had a public ofrenda where we left a contribution. Tomorrow, we will make calavera masks in our co-op. Normally, we don't celebrate this holiday as a family, but it's been fun. 

The weather has been gorgeous. We can still walk around without wearing a sweater. I grew up here (not that long ago; I'm in my mid-twenties), and I remember ToTing in the snow! After the museum, we made leaf crowns. We've been seeing so many herons along the river lately, and now that it's getting dark earlier, my children's bedtime comes after sunset. I go on an evening power walk with the kids. The baby generally falls asleep on my back while my younger one and I have a contest to see who can see the first star. I share the (pitifully few) constellations I know and can actually see in the city with all the light pollution, and we make up our own. We also count stars (which, thanks again to light pollution, seems almost like a doable task). We saw a bat for the first time that I can remember tonight.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#10 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Aw man, it wouldn't let me bring with a post from the last thread to quote :(    So I shall cheat!

Vydalea:  Sending everyone lots of warmth, even you, Cari, in your spring-filled southern hemisphere!  Don't you dare lol... it's going to be 30C today which is more than warm enough for me :P

Red:  .  I hope he finds a group Wonderful news about your 7yo, so glad he is doing well in school and loving it.  I wish your 9yo was having a better time:(  It's heartbreaking to watch a child go through difficult times socially, we see all the good that's in them, all they have to offer and want others to see it too.  I hope things get better for himthat accepts him and he flourishes:)   The group we used to go to is pretty welcoming and he did well with the other kids, so I'm hopefully they all welcome him back :)  I'm a bit :S  as Lucas has taken to lying.. he knows I"m not thrilled with how the school has helped him so I think he's trying to get me pissed at them so he won't have to go even the next month to finish the year.  He lied about being excluded from a group event yesterday, I emailed the principal asking what's up  with this?  and she checked with the teacher and lucas was involved in the event (the children all watch the Melbourne cup which is a huge aussie tradition)... so now I get to discuss with him how lying is not going to get him what he wants.  I'm writing his learning plan as it is but I can't just stop sending him until it's provisionally approved. so my hands are somewhat tied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Afternoon All:)

I just want to say not one Trick or Treater last night:( Maybe it's because of the snow?  Every year there seem to be less and less kids out there, how sad:( As a child, heck as an adult it is my favorite Holiday.  I hope everyone had a great night last night.  My guys had some friends over.  They watched scary movies and ate pizza and candy. 

This is a busy week for my DS.  He is getting ready to interview at the college that's his first choice.  I am so nervous for him and hoping he gets accepted. I have never felt this level of anxiety before.  This came so fast.  They will be 18 this month on the 18th, which seems just impossible.  Fingers crossed:)

I hope all is well with everyone:)

Bummer!  We had about ... a dozen total?  Which is pretty huge for down here!  Next year, if our current neighbors are still here, we're talking about putting together a halloween street party :D  Good luck to your son with his interview!  I'm sure he'll knock em dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

Welcome to November!  Good luck to all those in school (and applying to school)!

This was an eventful month for us, and I'm both happy and sad to see it end.  October went out with a bang, with us closing on our land...but not the land we originally bought.  At the last moment we traded our property for one of equal value just down the road.  We lost four acres in the deal, but gained peace of mind, and a lot of open space.  We had 18 acres of woods with a ton of swamp, and a snowmobile trail bisecting it.  We traded for 14 acres at the end of a dead-end private road, with about 5 acres open in the middle, and woods all around to shelter our home from the outside world.  The neighbors are lovely, the area is beautiful, and our land is absolutely perfect for us.  I can't wait for summer, so we can finally leave the city and head up to our land for good.

Badger went as the planet Jupiter for trick-or-treating.  What did everyone else's kids go as?

Your new land sounds perfect!   And gotta LOL at Jupiter,  EXCELLENT costume idea!  Dressing up isn't huge here (Halloween is mostly a non event in most of Australia sadly) but my 7yo put on a vampire cloak and my 5yo put on a cute little alien hat/mask and a shirt with circuit looking bits printed on it and said he was a robot hehehe.  Lucas didn't care (that's my 9yo) because he was able to score the computer without his brothers pestering him lol as they went for a brief tot walk with dad.

I've dropped the hammer on the 18yo and told him if he doesn't pass the program he's in (it's a preparatory program at the university, sort of a year 11/12 equivalent.. he has his exams today) then he'll be doing it all again.  But next time he'll be doing good to get an hour a day to play on fb, or his starcraft game... because I don't think he's taken this as seriously as he should and I'm going to, figuratively speaking, kick his arse.

Think calm thoughts my way mamas... in about 6hours I have a meeting with my supervisor and the regional manager at work.  If they give me the options I think they're going to (go back to the client that assaulted me or be transferred out of the job I am in to a place I hate) then I've got my letter of resignation with 2 weeks notice ready to go.  I've already got a lead on another job and I'll be ringing the lady in the morning if it comes to that... I'm so over this amount of stress :( 

Ok, must go get myself in gear and get a few things done! be well mamas!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#11 of 220 Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing, but must go to bed soon.  Still burnt out from ToT yesterday.  Happy November!  I hope to come back and really have time to be here later this week.

Tomorrow is All Souls Day - I hope to have time for the solemn remembering of the dead that I had absolutely zero time for yesterday!

#12 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 AM

Hi all, we went ToTing with our little one for the first time. She had a blast!

I'm still sick, though not as bad as before. The chiro did wonders for my ear drainage, and I get to go back today too.

Cari, stay strong! It will work out for the best.

Come ponder with me about food!
#13 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

With all souls day, I started a family tree project and hopefully DS1 will get excited about it.  We chatted last night about all his ancestors who might pop by for a visit and he was intrigued and wanted to know more.

Redveg - Here's wishing you a smooth sailing November!

I'm still recovering from the candy with lots of delicious kefir and yogurt.  Unfortunately I need to get back on the exercise & diet bandwagon as I've gained 8lbs this month. Stress, Stress-eating and no exercise will do that to a girl.

Family tree sounds awesome.  I have always wanted to put one together but don't have anyone in my family who knows anyone past 1 Great Grandmother:(   Thanks for thinking of me, November is starting out to be my most busy, stressful month of the year.  I have also jumped on the diet. well not diet but back on the healthy eating wagon, I have tons of stress eating pounds to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

NOVEMBER!!  :)

Tonight we are doing our first Samhain meal.  It won't be anything elaborate - a white bean stew with tomatoes, peppers, spinach.  We'll set a place for the ancestors and *hopefully* talk about some fun memories of those that have passed.  

redveg: will be thinking of you and your DS!!  how exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time.  Is he interviewing at the college or is admissions coming to him?  ((HUGS))

Meal sounds delish:)  We are going to the school. It's only about 2 hours away, I think.  Going to take a tour and then interview.  My niece goes to school not far from where we are going so maybe we will be able to get in a visit with her too.  I am so nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Made one of my mom's favorite soup for supper... Simple way for me to honor her memory without stirring too many emotions.

(((hugs))) thinking of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I've dropped the hammer on the 18yo and told him if he doesn't pass the program he's in (it's a preparatory program at the university, sort of a year 11/12 equivalent.. he has his exams today) then he'll be doing it all again.  But next time he'll be doing good to get an hour a day to play on fb, or his starcraft game... because I don't think he's taken this as seriously as he should and I'm going to, figuratively speaking, kick his arse.

I feel this way about my DS.  Those flipping games they can play for hours and lose all track of time but ask them to sit for an hour or get a paper ready and I am nagging for days about something that would be done and over if they only set their mind to it the same way they do those games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Tomorrow is All Souls Day - I hope to have time for the solemn remembering of the dead that I had absolutely zero time for yesterday!

Taking some time for this today.  I have  an hour set side:)

#14 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Bummer!  We had about ... a dozen total?  Which is pretty huge for down here!  Next year, if our current neighbors are still here, we're talking about putting together a halloween street party :D  Good luck to your son with his interview!  I'm sure he'll knock em dead!

When I lived down South we had a great neighborhood that did the Halloween Block Party and it was Awesome!!

Thanks for the good wishes for the interview:)  I hope I survive this:)

#15 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Yay for November!

More later, but wanted to sub.  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#16 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM

I forgot that it's a new month. tee hee.

Trying to work at home today (have to send out emails about the big Barefoot Giveaway.)  Will come back here later and read all the posts.

Hugs to all!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#17 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Hey everybody!  It's a beautiful day here in Central NY!  60degrees out and sunny!!  woohoo!!  

Valerie: I love that you made your mom's favorite soup for supper. That sounds like a perfect way to honor her.

FeralFox: How did "winter camping" go?  The description of the land is beautiful...it sounds like a wonderful place to explore and commune with nature.

redveg: When does DS go for this interview?  I am sure he will be the best him he can be.  Gosh, just thinking about it *I* get anxious for both of you!! bah!  You will be great, too.  You seem to be such a supportive, loving mama.  

Witchy: how old is your LO for the first year of ToT?  I'm thinking next year we'll take Z to a few homes.  She got a kick out of having the kids come to her aunt's house so *maybe* she'll remember it next year?  What a blast.

I was so happy that we had enough ToT-ers at the house to finish off our candy - *yay! no temptations* except that last night I sat with my big bowl of roasted pumpkin seeds and ate them until my lips hurt from the salt! hahaha.  oh well.  i love pumpkin seeds and I only make them once a year!  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#18 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View PostWe lost four acres in the deal, but gained peace of mind, and a lot of open space.  We had 18 acres of woods with a ton of swamp, and a snowmobile trail bisecting it.  We traded for 14 acres at the end of a dead-end private road, with about 5 acres open in the middle, and woods all around to shelter our home from the outside world. 

It sounds lovely! I am so happy-- the showing service FINALLY just called and my house will be shown Saturday! OMG, mamas, please cross fingers or whatever. There has been NO traffic here at all! Maybe, just maybe, this will be The One praying.gif fingersx.gif candle.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI've dropped the hammer on the 18yo and told him if he doesn't pass the program he's in (it's a preparatory program at the university, sort of a year 11/12 equivalent.. he has his exams today) then he'll be doing it all again.  But next time he'll be doing good to get an hour a day to play on fb, or his starcraft game... because I don't think he's taken this as seriously as he should and I'm going to, figuratively speaking, kick his arse.

Think calm thoughts my way mamas... in about 6hours I have a meeting with my supervisor and the regional manager at work.  If they give me the options I think they're going to (go back to the client that assaulted me or be transferred out of the job I am in to a place I hate) then I've got my letter of resignation with 2 weeks notice ready to go.  I've already got a lead on another job and I'll be ringing the lady in the morning if it comes to that... I'm so over this amount of stress :( 

Good on you, on both counts! You go get'em, mama! Kick butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostHi all, we went ToTing with our little one for the first time. She had a blast!

I'm still sick, though not as bad as before. The chiro did wonders for my ear drainage, and I get to go back today too.

Isn't the first T'o'T so fun? What did she go as? Lemme guess....Owly?

Hope you feel better soon. I had to go get ds out of school Friday at 1pm for fever, and again yesterday at 10:30am. He was fine in between. I think it was just excitement. I can't believe they still get excitement-fever at nearly 11 years old! But whatever. If he's sick, I wish he would go and get full-blown sick and get it over with before I go see M on the 23rd!! And me, too. I thought I felt a twinge of chest-ick in the wee hours of the night. I hope it all gets over with quick. If either of us is sick, which, we're not at the moment.

redveg-- you will survive this! It's all good!

DS got a horrid report at school AGAIN today. I am so sick of this, mamas. I am going to be the one in the newspaper with the son in the orange jumpsuit...or the horrible auto accident. I am just so at the end of my rope. He behaved badly ALL.DAY.LONG. and doesn't see what the problem is mecry.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#19 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks for asking about the papers... one is pretty interesting. It's on how Quaker women had a lot more freedom in colonial America... able to own shops with some regularity, instead of being an oddity like most of the colonies.  It's pretty cool.  First draft was turned in yesterday.

Unfortunately my paper on women & propaganda for my 20th Cen. Europe class is just not gelling.  The first draft is due today and it's only 2 pages long... I think I am on the right track now but just don't have the time to work on it.  I leave work for class in an hour.  Sigh.  I guess I am just going to have to take a hit on that portion of the grade and work on it this weekend... when I will also be working on yet another paper that is due next week.  Fun fun.

Wishing everyone a prosperous and healthy November!!!

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#20 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I am going to be the one in the newspaper with the son in the orange jumpsuit...or the horrible auto accident. I am just so at the end of my rope. He behaved badly ALL.DAY.LONG. and doesn't see what the problem is mecry.gif

hug2.gif  Oh my goodness, I know that feeling well.  It's so scary.  I really hope you can move to MA and get your ds more/better services.

#21 of 220 Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Posthug2.gif  Oh my goodness, I know that feeling well.  It's so scary.  I really hope you can move to MA and get your ds more/better services.

The thing is, he has GREAT services...just, not connected with the school. They finally stepped up and suggested X,Y, and Z, but it's going to take awhile. Plus I just found out that sending him "to the office" isn't what I thought it was at all. They just send him to this room they call the "Comfort Inn", which is near the front offices, but not anybody's office, where he doesn't have any consequences for his behavior-- he just gets removed from the classroom so they can focus on the other 21 kids without him disrupting.

That does not solve anything. It helps the classroom flow better, sure, and helps the other 21 kids get their education-- but all it teaches ds is that he can manipulate his way into not participating in classroom stuff if he acts up enough. The Comfort Inn isn't even monitored. It's where they send sick kids to wait for parent pickup, or kids who can't concentrate to do work in a quiet room...it's not punishment. My ds will NEVER learn that it's not OK to act up if there are no real consequences.

#22 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 AM

Maia, I'm so sorry for everything you're dealing with right now.  I am continuing to pray for things to start going your way.

On my home front, things are going my way and yet...not.  Weird changes have come down from the highest authority.  I have been fighting them and fighting them, but I've been told in no uncertain terms that what I "want" isn't good for me or my family, and I need to wise up and head the opposite direction.  It's been weeks now, and I'm finally starting to find peace in following Her orders.  Hestia has spoken, so I'm wearing a skirt and covering my hair because she says so.  And it feels ok.  In fact, it feels more than ok, and I don't know what to think about that.

Also, for those who remember it, I got two more hours of work done on my back.  My artist thinks it'll be three more to complete the piece.

Indigo73 likes this.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#23 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostWitchy: how old is your LO for the first year of ToT?  I'm thinking next year we'll take Z to a few homes.  She got a kick out of having the kids come to her aunt's house so *maybe* she'll remember it next year?  What a blast.

DD was 3 years old in August. My MIL was shocked we took her out, that she was too small or something. Um, we live on a decent street in a decent town, and DH and I both went with her. She had a great time! But it's all individual, in my mind. DD was ready.

Quote:

It sounds lovely! I am so happy-- the showing service FINALLY just called and my house will be shown Saturday! OMG, mamas, please cross fingers or whatever. There has been NO traffic here at all! Maybe, just maybe, this will be The One praying.giffingersx.gifcandle.gif

Good on you, on both counts! You go get'em, mama! Kick butt!

Isn't the first T'o'T so fun? What did she go as? Lemme guess....Owly?

Hope you feel better soon. I had to go get ds out of school Friday at 1pm for fever, and again yesterday at 10:30am. He was fine in between. I think it was just excitement. I can't believe they still get excitement-fever at nearly 11 years old! But whatever. If he's sick, I wish he would go and get full-blown sick and get it over with before I go see M on the 23rd!! And me, too. I thought I felt a twinge of chest-ick in the wee hours of the night. I hope it all gets over with quick. If either of us is sick, which, we're not at the moment.

DS got a horrid report at school AGAIN today. I am so sick of this, mamas. I am going to be the one in the newspaper with the son in the orange jumpsuit...or the horrible auto accident. I am just so at the end of my rope. He behaved badly ALL.DAY.LONG. and doesn't see what the problem is mecry.gif

Yes, I hope this is the ONE, too!! Good grief!

Actually, DD was a pirate. We went as pirates, too, so it was fun to do that as a family. I think she wears so much stuff with owls on it, she wanted something different. And it's adorable to hear a 3 year old say, "arrrr, I'm a pirate!"

I wish I knew how to help with your DS. *hugs*

Come ponder with me about food!
#24 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

redveg: When does DS go for this interview?  I am sure he will be the best him he can be.  Gosh, just thinking about it *I* get anxious for both of you!! bah!  You will be great, too.  You seem to be such a supportive, loving mama.  

Thanks so much mama:)  We go today, getting ready to leave in about an hour:)

Quote:

Thanks:)  So sorry to hear about your DS.  I hope the school steps up and starts dealing with the issue rather than just leaving him unattended to chill and miss the lesson.  They need to come up with something different.  I can't believe they leave him alone in a room.  I would be having a meeting about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post

Thanks for asking about the papers... one is pretty interesting. It's on how Quaker women had a lot more freedom in colonial America... able to own shops with some regularity, instead of being an oddity like most of the colonies.  It's pretty cool.  First draft was turned in yesterday.

Unfortunately my paper on women & propaganda for my 20th Cen. Europe class is just not gelling.  The first draft is due today and it's only 2 pages long... I think I am on the right track now but just don't have the time to work on it.  I leave work for class in an hour.  Sigh.  I guess I am just going to have to take a hit on that portion of the grade and work on it this weekend... when I will also be working on yet another paper that is due next week.  Fun fun.

Wishing everyone a prosperous and healthy November!!!

It has got to be difficult to work and go to school.  I don't know how you do it! 

Quote:

Also, for those who remember it, I got two more hours of work done on my back.  My artist thinks it'll be three more to complete the piece.

What are you getting?

#25 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Maia- It sounds like he needs a special therapeutic program.  Therapeutic programs typically have fewer children (my son's class has a total of 11 kids.)  They need to teach 'expected' behavior, etc.

#26 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Alright, redveg, it's 3pm as I write this.  I hope that the interview is over and you all are on your way to get some food and relax and take a deep breath that this portion is over!  Please let us all know how it went!  

Indigo: Your paper on Quaker women and their freedom is really interesting.  What happened to cause it to change?  I hope you find your groove on the other paper.  You are brave and amazing for taking numerous classes and working and mothering!  Especially classes with all these PAPERS DUE!  *whew!*

Quote:
  Hestia has spoken, so I'm wearing a skirt and covering my hair because she says so.  And it feels ok.  In fact, it feels more than ok, and I don't know what to think about that.

Feral: I'm really interested in this comment.  Please, if I'm prying too much you can totally just ignore this and I will understand.  Are you wearing skirts and covering your hair for spiritual reasons?  I googled Hestia and see that she is the goddess of the hearth, that all hearths on Earth are her altar.  As the eternal virgin I'm assuming this is why she wears the head covering?  I'm just curious about her and what your take on this is.  If I have overstepped any boundaries I am not doing it intentionally! Just say, vy it's personal or nothing at all.  I'm just new so I wonder how other people interpret things, kwim?? Also, if it feels right then go with it, right? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

DD was 3 years old in August. My MIL was shocked we took her out, that she was too small or something. Um, we live on a decent street in a decent town, and DH and I both went with her. She had a great time! But it's all individual, in my mind. DD was ready.

Sounds great to me, witchy!  Z will be 2 and a half next year and I think she will love it!  I agree, every parent and child are different - I'm just gauging if it's just me SUPER excited to get out there with her so I'm projecting readiness on her or if I'm kind of in line.  *thanks for the validation!* thumb.gif

Maia: Who calls that room in your DS's school "the comfort inn" - I hate to say it but if I were in school I would do anything I could to go there.  To get away from my teachers and the hulabaloo of the classroom I used to have "stomach aches" all the time so much so they were worried something was wrong.  Do they at least send him with work?  I cannot believe there isn't a monitor there or anything.  BIG HUGS to you, mama.  I hope that this showing goes well and you can move forward.  

In other news, I woke up with a giant stick up my butt.  I'm wound super tightly today and so I'm kind of grouchy (not like me).  We're headed to a fancy pants wedding this weekend and Z is spending the night away from us for the first time.  I know she'll be fine and it's healthy for us to do this.  It's all just different.  It's also been a VERY long time since I was in a drinking situation like this and I was one who definitely used alcohol as a social lubricant...so I'm just kind of finding my identity as MamaKate but sans the Z as my distraction/excuse.  I'll be calling on the universe to remind me to just be who I am and remember the sanctity of the present moment.  *sigh* Gotta pull the stick out of my butt and put on my big girl panties.  hahaha.  

I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful day.  

#27 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Redveg - How did it go??

Witchy - I don't think 3 is too small at all.  Badger is 3 1/2, and he had a blast this year.  We took him out last year, at 2 1/2, and while not as fun for him as this year he still clearly had a good time.  The two years before that we took him over to the mall, and then he ToTed at his grandparents house.  I love ToTing with him, and I dn't think it's ever too early to start.

Vydalea - Yes, I'm doing it for spiritual reasons.  There have been a couple of things holding us back.  One is my tattoo - I have felt strongly that we are not supposed to have kids until I get it done.  Everything has lined up, timingwise, to confirm that for me.  But lately Hestia (our household Gods are Kali, Hestia, and Hephaestus) has been showing me that I have swung too far in the male direction, and that it was changing me in ways that are not conducive to the kind of life we want to live.  I'm really non-normative, not purely trans in the way most people think of it, so "going girl" at this point on Her order is not out of the question.  I have learned over the years to trust the Gods and their directions, so though it was a bit of a struggle at first (you wouldn't believe the confused looks I get these days) I'm feeling increasinly comfortable with it, and at peace with the change.  At peace because of the change, even.  She wants me to learn a little modesty (something Kali started teaching me ages ago, this is just the continuation of that lesson) and to cover my head when I pray to Her - and since I should always be ready to pray to Her, my head should always be covered.

#28 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks for thinking of me and my family all:)  It went well.  The campus was amazing, my DS really liked it.  His interview went well too.  He went in and was a lot better prepared than I thought he was going to be.  I guess he was keeping it all low key around us.  We will find out in December if he is accepted.  I tell you after that long car ride, which I hate, and the stress of wanting him to do well, I am so tired. 

Thanks again for thinking of us. 

I hope everyone had a great day.  I will be back tomorrow.  I am in serious need of sleep:)

#29 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Redveg- yay!  I hope he (and you all) get good news next month!

Maia- hugs chica, it sounds like the school is looking out for their own interests instead of your sons'.  Which makes sense from their perspective of course but you deserve so much more!  So many kiddos need more than they're getting, and not addressing that as soon as possible is just plain short sighted.  A stitch in time and all that.  And yeah that to thinking the comfort inn sounds sweet and not something that will teach your son that there are actual consequences to choices made in class... there's a short story about a crowded future earth in which people pay lawyers to keep them IN jail because jail comes with a private cell and three meals a day.  Sounds like this school fits that plot a little too well.  I hope the changes get put in place soon.  You deserve some peace of mind on this.

And speaking of peace.... sell baby sell!  Thinking thoughts for house sales!  Fingers crossed.  :)

DoK- how are you feeling?  I hope better, and I hope you didn't over do it with the energy needed for the Bazrefoot sale... I've still got a candle burning for your speedy recovery!

FeralFox- there is a thread in Spirituality for head covering pagans.  While I no longer cover all the time, it remains a "tool" in my spiritual toolbox so to speak.  For me, covering my head/hair was a practical and easy way to control the amount of energy I felt (like an umbrella or raincoat controls the amount of "wet" you get when outside in a storm) and a sort of physical shortcut or talisman for reaching a certain state of mind.  Although most people in North America/Western Europe tend to think of hair/head covering from a specifically judeo-christian perspective (so submission or even subjugation of the female to the male), headcovering is an ancient practice not limited to specific religious, cultural, or gender categories.  Given the relatively recent trend in "not covering one's hair" (for both genders) I tend to think the Divine are more used to dealing with people wearing scarves/caps/turbans/shawls/hats/veils/etc than not!  LOL  Anyway, search for the pagan headcovering thread, or check out the (mainly christian, mainly submissive) Cover-ed Girls thread for ideas and fellowship.

Silliness- I watched the movie Annie today and I found myself identifying with Miss Hannigan!  Ack!  I've got "little girls" stuck in my head though honestly it's not the three girls who are wearing me out, its the one boy.  I need either a bathtub full of gin (or even a sitz bath full of scotch) or some time off.  I'm thinking I might make a necklace like MissHannigans and use it as a reminder to keep a sense of humor.  Pagan prayer beads meet bathtub gin!  Brilliant!  LOL  Though really I've been finding the 1900s-20s really interesting these days, not sure why but it's cropping up everywhere.  The clothes, the jewelry, the music, the decore... it's all coming together but I still don't have a clue as to where it's headed.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#30 of 220 Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostMaia- It sounds like he needs a special therapeutic program.  Therapeutic programs typically have fewer children (my son's class has a total of 11 kids.)  They need to teach 'expected' behavior, etc.

I wish they had such a thing. We (the school and his counselor and I) had a meeting in which he was evaluated for "exceptional students" something-or-other, which is their catchword for special ed, but not a separate roomful of...I don't know what you would call them today that's politically correct. In my day, we called them "the retard class", not out loud, of course. But that's not what is going on with this eval. This is more like he can get one-on-one special services *in class*, paid for by the school, and who knows what else. Where were these services a couple years ago? Because they have those things through agencies, that you can get with insurance, or they did, BUT, his insurance didn't cover those any longer back then, plus the services were cut because of funding anyway.

And he knows what is expected of him. He either can't, or won't, or both, comply with it. He doesn't take any of it seriously. He thinks school is his playground-- as well as he thinks life is. He has never recognized any authority but his own. He will have the last word (or sound) or die trying. He just.does.not.care. Now, OTOH, he's a very polite, sweet, caring boy! He cares deeply when someone gets hurt, he holds doors for people, he has excellent manners, usually. He's like Jekyll and Hyde, my kid. No gray area at all. It's really maddening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostActually, DD was a pirate. We went as pirates, too, so it was fun to do that as a family. I think she wears so much stuff with owls on it, she wanted something different.

DS just discovered an Owly book at the library-- he's in lurve lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostWho calls that room in your DS's school "the comfort inn" - I hate to say it but if I were in school I would do anything I could to go there. 
To get away from my teachers and the hulabaloo of the classroom I used to have "stomach aches" all the time so much so they were worried something was wrong.  Do they at least send him with work?  I cannot believe there isn't a monitor there or anything.  BIG HUGS to you, mama.  I hope that this showing goes well and you can move forward.  

EVERYbody calls it "The Comfort Inn". That's its name. It is right across the small hall from the main desk that you have to check in at when you come into the school--by the main door. I think the director's (principal's) office is right next door to it, but not sure. Also behind the main desk is another warren of offices for the main people of the administration. So it's not off by itself, but he's often there alone, I think, and YES, I totally agree that he's manipulating in order to go there. Yes, sometimes they send him with work, and he does get it done in there. Other times he reads his book. Which to me is a HUGE reward for misbehaving eyesroll.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostThanks for thinking of me and my family all:)  It went well. 

YAY!! Of course it did thumb.gif

14 days till my birthday and 20 days till I see M! joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page