Pagan Home Binder: Less stress, less mess, more me time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good Morning! Several years ago, the Pagan spirituality group spent their summer at "camp", where we made a home binder that reflected our spirituality as well as our need to have information at our finger tips.

If you haven't participated before, no worries, we will run threw the basics.

1. Locate or purchase a 3 ring binder

2. Locate or purchase subject dividers

3. Meditate on your life- what will the binder allow you to rid your mind of

how will having the information you need easily accessible make your life simpler?

4.As a Pagan, how can you influence your binder- what could you add? a meditation a day? maybe a list of books you would like to read?

So, spend today reflecting/meditating on how you see yourself once the binder is complete.

The binder can be as fancy as you like or as plain as you like, you can embellish the pages.

Here is the breakdown of the binder as of now:

Family

Medical

Recipes, Food and Shopping

Please post our thoughts/feelings about what you want your binder to reflect. Could you also post the areas you would like to see us develop, ie kitchen, medical, etc

On Wednesday we will begin to discuss the specifics of the binder.

Karen

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#2 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 AM

Subbing! Thanks, Aeress!  Love the thread title smile.gif

#3 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Count me in!  Thanks Aeress & love the title too!  And I get to do a bit of shopping to boot! A win for all! joy.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#4 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM

subbing... hoping I can keep up!

Valérie   
#5 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Yes, subbing. I would love to do this!

Come ponder with me about food!
#6 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
gun

I am ready!!!  I missed this the first tie around and am eager to do this for sure!  TY Aeress for starting this up again!

Peace- Heather
#7 of 43 Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Me too.  After a many-month MDC break this is what it took to draw me back in. peace.gif

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#8 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ok Gals, what would make your life less messy, less stressful and allow you to have more YOU time?

I will start- I lose important documents because I work on them at various places in my home, so my goal is to create a binder that allows me to carry it around the home, so maybe this wouldn't be just a binder but also a basket of sorts that holds my stuff.

Areas I want to get organized:

Medical information- I have never done this and several events have made me realize that I need to get this done.

Recipes, and Shopping lists- I often want to try a new recipe, but have no way to organize it.

Tomorrow, I will begin compiling the areas that we want to get organized.

We will go through them one by one, adding links and ideas, and spiritual touches, influences and such

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#9 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 AM

I do not have time for much right now, but I am thinking of a garden section.  Maybe a garden/home preserving section. Maybe under the heading of "pantry" since my garden is a food garden?  I really want to plan better in this area.

#10 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Subbing:) I did not join in last time but am ready this time around:)  I need help in all areas:)

I am with Aubergine a garden, home preserve section would be great. 

Recipes and shopping are good too. 

I was almost done gathering my supplies but on Sunday something came up that got in the way:(  I m hoping to finish today or tomorrow.

I can't wait to get started.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#11 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM

So far what I've come up with feels a little like BOS stuff but I really need it more at my finger tips:

So the category title is spiritual with the following:

• Mealtime blessings
  • House Blessings & Nighttime Prayers/Requests
  • Print out of the phases of the moon (and DATES!) - since it always seems to catch me off guard to look up and voila - it is a full moon! eyesroll.gif

I love the idea of home preserving as I have all my recipes for that in various ball & my pressure cooker books/manuals

Recipes & the Pantry (like a stock list of items which must be kept in the pantry) since I'm the only one in the house which knows this information.  This might cut down on the number of binders I have in my kitchen for various recipes and such that I've collected through out time.  Hmmmm maybe I don't need to go shopping, but just repurposing!!! biggrinbounce.gif

In addition to everything which has been mentioned already:

For me I think of other things like are:

• Finances - but that would be a simple 1 page reference to where I would/could find where we keep this information or access.
  • Household Maintenance which would include recipes for making all purpose cleaner, the carpet deodorizer, use of EOs, furnace cleaning/repair, fireplace cleaning etc etc etc...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#12 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Food Preserving- Yes, I did a lot this year, but not enough.

What is your goal for preserving? My current goal was to make pickles, freeze peppers and sauce. I did get those done, but I missed out on strawberries and cherries this year.

In general I want to be well prepared for a harvest when it comes in, so I guess, gathering supplies and getting the correct supplies per harvest?

#13 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Would it be silly to have a Decor section?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#14 of 43 Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Of course not.

#15 of 43 Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Yay!  I got my binder.  :)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#16 of 43 Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, lets get going! First, consider how you want to organize your binder. Will you set it up in areas like work, home/decor, family, medical, finance?

Would it be easier for you to have a daily use notebook? This would include your calendar/planner, and things you use on a daily basis.

How about a binder for important information, like safety, medical, and family records like birth certificates?

If you are using a general use binder, how will you organize the areas/sections?

Areas:

Pantry/Kitchen- recipe organizing, freezer list, pantry list, shopping list

Decor/Home-

Garden-

Finance-

We will add areas as needed.

I will add links soon.

#17 of 43 Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm late to the game, but count me in!  I was a bit bummed to have missed it the first time around, but I'm looking forward to it this time.  I'll be buying my binder on Friday.  Until then notes.gif

#18 of 43 Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Now, onto posting links:

http://tipnut.com/make-a-household-organizer-notebook-buncha-links/

http://www.mommytracked.com/

Ok, check out those links for free printable forms.

Kitchen/Pantry.Freezer-

We busy Moms often need quick and simple meals that are not only nutritious but also help to feed our soul.

Ways to incorporate spirituality into your kitchen- print out blessings, candle season colors and add them to your binder.

Keep this rule in mind- if I can't cook with joy in my heart, it is wiser to not cook at all. For those days when you need a break from cooking, or having a rough day, give yourself the freedom to have cereal for dinner or take out.

Other helps- freezing double batches of your favorite meals

I saw a tip that suggested freezing meals flat (like in a cake pan) and then sliding them into plastic bags. You could then place the bags into bins marked (main dish, sides, soup etc)

Another idea I saw, having lunch creation bins. You take a bin and place all the things you need to make lunches into the bin, you could have 1 for the fridge and 1 for the pantry. For instance, I would place cheese sticks, jelly and yogurt in my fridge bin.

Now, how to incorporate this into a binder:

Pantry inventory

http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/pantry-inventory

Freezer inventory

http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/freezer-inventory

Favorite Recipes
http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/recipes

Menu Planner

http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/weekly-menu-planner-shopping-list

If you come across other docs that you found useful for the kitchen/pantry, please post the links.

#19 of 43 Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

i so need this! i'm joining but expect to be playing catch-up the whole time. i usually realize there was a full moon about two days after it. maybe this could help. eyesroll.gif

#20 of 43 Old 11-11-2011, 12:42 PM

jumping in like liza_s.  thanks aeress for starting this thread!  super way to start a new year.

my problem with inventory and to-do lists is that i can never keep them current.  even posting the inventory list inside the cupboard door didn't help.  and husband has a wiki set up for to-do lists...

what i'd like is to organize it in a more BOS fashion, with mostly recipes, blessings, seasonal and inspirational poetry (that i find coz, you know, i just don't write that stuff), inspirational art bits...  but then i have this dilemma that i really don't like actually printing stuff (really?  more paper lying around the house?  more inkjet cartridges to buy?)...

i want it integrated into my datebook but then that means that i need something that is portable... and i don't like relying solely on technology...

for 2012, i picked up the looseleaf We'Moon datebook and put it into a Classic sized Franklin Covey binder i had lying around (yet another time when i had dreams of being super organized).  maybe i'll start adding sections to it...  at the very least, it has the calendar, beautiful art, the moon charts, astrology blurbs...  just need to stick in recipes and blessings and ideas for short but meaningful solitary rituals.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#21 of 43 Old 11-11-2011, 04:40 PM

Your post got me thinking, bluets, about what organizational tools I have now that are working and what is not?

To make this binder truly useful, I have to combine aspects of my home daycare business with my home management.  I have forms that I use to plan menus for the home daycare, for example, and since that accounts for 10 hot meals and 10 plus snacks a week, that menu, that I submit to my supervisors,  becomes central to my food planning for my family, as well.

I have daily cleaning checklists posted inside plastic sleeves in  my kitchen that I use with wipe-off markers.  I also post our family calendar in the kitchen, four months at a time, and that has worked really well.  

I have a binder for spiritual issues, including flyers from courses or gatherings I'd like to attend, notes about rituals I've done and dreams I've had, but I haven't used it as much as I thought I would.  I'd like to fold these things into my Home Management Binder.  If I did this, it would make it more personal to me, rather than something my dh and children would also feel free to use, so I'm not sure. If I included my whole families spiritual goals and pursuits in the binder, then it would be more interesting perhaps.  I will have to ask if they'd be into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Food Preserving- Yes, I did a lot this year, but not enough.

What is your goal for preserving? My current goal was to make pickles, freeze peppers and sauce. I did get those done, but I missed out on strawberries and cherries this year.

In general I want to be well prepared for a harvest when it comes in, so I guess, gathering supplies and getting the correct supplies per harvest?

For preserving, all I really did this year was to make and can a lot of apple butter and to roast and freeze a lot of pumpkin puree.  I want to USE UP the canned salsa, beet kvass and applesauce that I have left for previous years.  I want to find a better salsa recipe for next year, one that I won't prefer the store brand salsa to.  I want to plan better to take advantage of deals on fresh fruit, like peaches, cherries and plums, when they come up at the market.  

I also need to plan a routine for saving and starting seeds

Next year, I want to preserve a goodly quantity of  applesauce, dried apples and so forth.  I want to do some more flower essences.  I'm going to need to make more Master Tonic soon - nothing beats it for stopping that coming-down-with-a-cold feeling in its tracks.  

I think I'd like a garden diary - pages where I can note first frost and last tomato picked, etc.  for each year and be able to glance back along the column at  the previous four years to see what the trends are.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Would it be silly to have a Decor section?

What would you put in this section?  I immediately thought of seasonal decor, ideas for looks or objects you want for your home in the future...is this what you are imagining?

#22 of 43 Old 11-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Subbing! I'd like to do this as well. I am pretty disorganized and somewhat lost when it comes to bringing spirituality into daily life. I'm all for having a dinner recipe and a blessing all in the same spot! Although, like another person said, I will probably be trying to play catch up most of the time. I'll try to stay on top of getting organize!! redface.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#23 of 43 Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Decor- One thing that came to mind was a section for areas I want to work on and inspirational pictures.

What works- finding what works is key. I tend to be a more mental to do list, which kind of helps but of course, I forget things all the time. I am motivated moms slacker, but I really am working on improving the daily cleaning.

For instance: I had tried an app for my phone and it so didn't help, it actually made shopping longer and I forgot things.

What is working- planning on Monday for Weds shopping and planning 2 weeks of meal ideas.

So, that i am keeping.

Daycare/Home- Keeping track of daycare paperwork takes a lot of time. When I worked in daycare, we had a binder for each child and a binder for daily paperwork and another for regulations stuff. It was a pretty nice and easy system once we had it in place.

#24 of 43 Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Inspiring quotes- I picked up a little book from a discount store and pulled the pages out and glued them in. I will also add sabbat information.

In my December calendar section, I will add Yule plans and print outs.

#25 of 43 Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM

oh and another new idea about how to make super cool paper.

Vintage Printables is a website (blanking on exact URL) with scanned high quality public domain images.  You could import the image, scale it down to appropriate size, then print it with a transparency layer, so that you could still write on top of it and simultaneously still see the image.

#26 of 43 Old 11-13-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

bluets- that sounds super fun, I will have to see if I have some velum hanging around.

Tomorrow I will post other ideas and the next area. let me know if I am moving too fast.

#27 of 43 Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM

so, the first part of my book is my datebook from We-Moon.  then what?

the binder i'm using (remember, a recycled fancy datebook-organizer thing with tabs and all) has a section for phone numbers with alphabet tabs even.

i'm thinking i need a section for each sabbat.  perhaps starting with a favorite poem/blessing and a piece of artwork for each, a favorite recipe, a meditation.  and then i just add as i encounter new possibilities.

#28 of 43 Old 11-14-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Our next section is the Garden.

http://www.5dollardinners.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/garden_planner.pdf

http://www.5dollardinners.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/square_foot_gardening.pdf

http://www.5dollardinners.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/container_gardening.pdf

The above is for planning.

The other portion would be for canning/preserving.

#29 of 43 Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

so, the first part of my book is my datebook from We-Moon.  then what?

the binder i'm using (remember, a recycled fancy datebook-organizer thing with tabs and all) has a section for phone numbers with alphabet tabs even.

i'm thinking i need a section for each sabbat.  perhaps starting with a favorite poem/blessing and a piece of artwork for each, a favorite recipe, a meditation.  and then i just add as i encounter new possibilities.

I printed out blessings from the UUA website, as well as pagan graphics, and some sabbat information. This goes in my daily planner.

I also added inspirtational quotes.

#30 of 43 Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM

and another link: http://www.religions-and-spiritualities-guide.com/journal-handmade.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page