Gratitude Practice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just celebrated my DS's birthday this weekend.  He was born 9 weeks early, and is now a happy, healthy 4 year old, which we are very thankful for.  Thinking about that, as well as with Thanksgiving coming up, I have started a gratitude practice with DS - at bedtime, we cuddle and tell each other what our favorite part of the day was.  He totally runs with this, and starts talking about his favorite part of the afternoon and evening.  It's really nice to end the day on this positive note.  Does anyone else share a gratitude practice with their families?

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#2 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM

I do this with my son.  He's 7 now and we started it about 3-4 yrs old. 

I love it b/c then I can probe for more info about his school day!!!

He loves it and on the occasion I don't tuck him in DH tells me that I need to go in and talk with him about our day.   I love it b/c it gives us some one on one time with no little screaming girls interupting!!!

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 5 Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

That's awesome, I hope that our gratitude practice can grow like yours has!  I never thought about the school day angle, that's a great idea, too!   I was inspired to do this by a friend who plays "Rose and Thorn" with her daughter.  That's where each person says what they enjoyed most about their day, and then what they enjoyed least.  Since I've had DS, I have been trying very hard to keep things positive, so we just do the "rose" part:-)

#4 of 5 Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM

I do this, too! I call it "filling my love cup" - which is kind of corny... don't remember how that terminology got started. We'll fill our love cups with things we are grateful for & good things that happened to us recently.
I find the exercise useful to cheer up my 8 yo dd, if she's down about something. And, I agree that it often leads into discussion about my kid's days or even leads to a closeness where they feel able to open up about various issues or questions they have.
#5 of 5 Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

That's really sweet!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page