December Pagan Families - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 205 Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, the snow came and went!  It was beautiful this morning here...clear blue sky with the trees covered in icy snow.  LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Feral: I think you are on the right track with keeping your sanity through long winters.  IMO, you just have to embrace it for what it is...and then by March I just start calling snow "white rain" - I go straight for the denial tactic.  heehee.  

Telling parents about baby: I am sorry that there is any chance that your inlaws will not be excited to have another beautiful life in this world.  I know that is a reality for people but it makes me very, very sad.  Plus, what the crap business is it of theirs?  bah.  Sometimes I wish people could just put on their big girl panties, smile and say "congrats" --- irked.gif

clay: thanks for the link.  i'll definitely check it out!  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#62 of 205 Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmm, I always heard that magic erasers take off any and everything that could possibly be there so I'm a little hesitant to try that. The baking soda and water sounds good though, and in the same vein maybe borax and water. Thanks for the tips!

Feral-I'm all about waiting as long as possible to tell people! I know routine with unhappy family members. I was pregnant with DD at 19 (DH was 19, too) and, well...that was quite possibly the worst conversation I've ever had to have. I was nervous that no one would be happy about DS2 as well. DS1 was barely 7 months old when we found out I was pregnant again (despite breastfeeding and condoms, the sneaky little booger!). I figured ppl wouldn't believe that birth control actually did fail and give us grief for having another baby so soon and without more financial stability. But I was surprised and never heard any negative comments. Hopefully you will get a pleasant surprise, too!!

Maia-Good phrase! Motivation comes after action...The last time I tried exercising continually, I got really really discouraged because after two or three weeks, nothing at all had changed. I have yet to get over that and its been nearly a year.

Oh, exciting news, DS2 has started taking a few steps here and there! He's my earliest walker at 10 months! 

Is anyone else feeling like a massive Scrooge?? I'm totally not into the Holidays at all. I need to start the kids on crafting gifts for grandparents, look into making Yule cookies and/or a gingerbread house with them and gift buying? Ha, haven't even decided if I'm going to a store to do it or if I'm gonna just hit the net much less *what* I'm actually going to get. 

Speaking of crafts, anyone have a good homemade clay recipe? I'm thinking I'm going to have DD and DS1 make DH a statue or handprint plaques. And I want to make myself a Yule gift or two in the form of runes and a Goddess statue for my alter. biggrinbounce.gif

And the weather here is finally getting to be winter weather, though still no snow. We had a few days of constant rain over the weekend and there's a lot of standing water in the fields and yards around us. I'm really hoping for at least a dusting for Yule, but I don't think it will happen. This winter's been pretty warm so far, hopefully that means an early spring! 

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#63 of 205 Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM

3X - Same situation here, though I'm on the opposite end of the age thing.  I'll be 32 next year, and we want to have at least four more.  I'm not super comfortable with having kids into my 40s, with all the increased risks, so we need to get going asap!  But the in-laws have given us quite a bit of financial help over the last few years, and I think they'll use that as a reason to lecture us about how irresponsible we are.  Nevermind that Husband's older brother has gotten just as much help from them over the years (they actually added up the figures at one point, so we know the exact amounts spent on each son) and already has two kids.  He never got any grief about it, but Husband is the second and least favorite son, so we certainly will.

I'd love a clay recipe too.  I was just looking at those handprint ornament kits, and wishing they had one big enough for Badger's hand.

Anyone want to share snow pics?  The plows were out here last night, but it just rained a lot.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#64 of 205 Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia: okay, it's appointment day.  how'd it go?????

Hey, thanks for asking! love.gif

It went pretty well, actually! YAY! My BP was 110/80 in the office. Whew, eh? I'm not happy with 80, but I'm way happy with 110, and I'll just have to work with it. He said all the expected things. Reduce/eliminate salt, get aerobic exercise, start yoga and progressive relaxation, keep watching my diet for where I can improve-- and lose weight--  GRRR, where was the kudos for losing 35lb in the last 15mo?? angry.gif

I have been walking. I walked 15m on Thursday, 20m on Friday, 28m on Monday, nothing on Tuesday cause it was nasty out, and yesterday, I was just getting ready to try a yoga DVD when a friend called who's moved away recently. So while I was on the phone with her, I walked all around inside my house. Around and around and around, for nearly 30 minutes! Yay me! I was distracted by the phone call, so I didn't really notice I was exercising, and I was actually somewhat breathless when I was done! And 25m today outdoors. I'm trying!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeralFox View PostI think I'm going to have to collect some fun winter gear (snowshoes, forms for building snow bricks, a good sled, maybe cross-country skis at some point) to help me and the kids get through those winters. 

I'm already starting to show (honest to Gods, it better not be twins!) so it won't be too much longer, I don't think, before my waist does the telling for us.  Same situation at work, I'm not sure how or when to tackle it.

Are you on Freecycle in your new area? I would suggest trying to get some stuff for free before you commit to new things-- you might not like some brands, and like others...sort of like a test market, kwim? If you can try them out for free. Oh, and a refrigerator box makes a GREAT sled winky.gif

Starting to show?? How far along are you? MAN, this was fast! Well, congrats! flowersforyou.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostWalk at Home- Leslie Sansone makes the dvds I have.  Her website is here and she has free "try it" samples on her site.  I love that she has three kids, a sucessful career, and a decent philosophy in a real body.

I have heard of her. I haven't tried her yet, though. I might see if the library has any. You can check out those kinds of vids for 3 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI remember trick-or-treating in the snow some years, and here we are in December with no snow accumulation.

You know? I think we did, too, in northern NJ in the late 60s-early 70s! I don't think they get that much snow that early anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostHmm, I always heard that magic erasers take off any and everything that could possibly be there so I'm a little hesitant to try that.

Maia-Good phrase! Motivation comes after action...The last time I tried exercising continually, I got really really discouraged because after two or three weeks, nothing at all had changed. I have yet to get over that and its been nearly a year.

Is anyone else feeling like a massive Scrooge?? I'm totally not into the Holidays at all. I need to start the kids on crafting gifts for grandparents, look into making Yule cookies and/or a gingerbread house with them and gift buying? Ha, haven't even decided if I'm going to a store to do it or if I'm gonna just hit the net much less *what* I'm actually going to get. 

Walking at 10 months....if ds had done that, I would have thrown him out a window. He's so hyper as it is! He didn't walk till 14 months and I was perfectly fine if he'd crawled till he was nine lol.gif

Magic eraser-- the key is to try it in an inconspicuous place, first.

Exercise-- what is your goal? If it's fitness, yes; that's what it's for. I am wanting to be more fit, and for my heart to be more fit, and for my BP to come/stay down. If it's weight loss, I agree with Gary Taubes...it's for making one hungry, not for losing poundage.

Scroogyness-- At this stage of the game, I'd be buying clay and buying a premade gingerbread house that you just put together and maybe buying premade cookie dough, or even cookies. Who cares, if it's homemade or store made, if it's late in the game and you feel pressed for time. It's all good. The key is not to feel guilty if you bought stuff instead of made it!

Mantra: let go of guilt orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post3X - Same situation here, though I'm on the opposite end of the age thing.  I'll be 32 next year, and we want to have at least four more.  I'm not super comfortable with having kids into my 40s, with all the increased risks, so we need to get going asap!

Feral, I had my one and only ds at 41. It was fine. I went into it thinking I was a high risk pregnancy just because of my age, and because I was 160lb at 5'1". First midwife I ever met, at 4 weeks pregnant, said no WAY was I high risk. High risk is high BP and high blood sugar and things like that. And heart issues and such. Plus, the risk for things like Down's isn't really higher, it's that the pool of moms having kids in that age group is less, so the ratio is higher.

Off to bed soon!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#65 of 205 Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Ok everyone sorry for the delay on the card list - I swear I'm wrapping it up right now.  I've got PMs out to folks who have all said yeah or HECK Yeah!! in clay's case winky.gif

The last 2 days have been a bit of crazy making in my house and this is the first moment I've had to sit and do this with everything I need at my fingertips.

I'm off to quickly help clean the house for tomorrow's baking day and help DH not lose his mind.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#66 of 205 Old 12-09-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Yes, the snow came and went!  It was beautiful this morning here...clear blue sky with the trees covered in icy snow.  LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I finally got my snow. Not a lot, but it's so pretty. My daughter was out in the snow right when she got up at 6AM, she was so excited. We got too little to build things, but she just enjoyed brushing the tree off the bushes and stuff. Later in the morning, I'm hoping to get the kids out to walk along the river to look for animal tracks. In the past we've mostly found squirrels, dogs, and resident ducks, but you never know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

Feral-I'm all about waiting as long as possible to tell people! I know routine with unhappy family members. I was pregnant with DD at 19 (DH was 19, too) and, well...that was quite possibly the worst conversation I've ever had to have. I was nervous that no one would be happy about DS2 as well. DS1 was barely 7 months old when we found out I was pregnant again (despite breastfeeding and condoms, the sneaky little booger!). I figured ppl wouldn't believe that birth control actually did fail and give us grief for having another baby so soon and without more financial stability. But I was surprised and never heard any negative comments. Hopefully you will get a pleasant surprise, too!!

Oh, exciting news, DS2 has started taking a few steps here and there! He's my earliest walker at 10 months! 

Speaking of crafts, anyone have a good homemade clay recipe? I'm thinking I'm going to have DD and DS1 make DH a statue or handprint plaques. And I want to make myself a Yule gift or two in the form of runes and a Goddess statue for my alter. biggrinbounce.gif

So glad to see a younger mama on MDC. It seems like MDC definitely weights towards older mamas. I got pregnant with my first at 19, too. (My partner was the same age.) We didn't conceive number two, though, until two years later.

Good for you for being excited about an early walker. Both of my kids were early walkers: walking at 9 months. The second time around, I thought, "Oh, no." I rather have a walker who's a little more verbal and can understand more of what I say.

I've been less motivated around crafting than I would like. We've had pretty much constant illness. We're gonna make snowflakes out of popsicle sticks, paint, and beads later today. I have a few more simple craft ideas, too. I'm better of thinking of ideas than getting through them. My almost two year old gets into his older sib's work all the time, and not quite five, she freaks out.

I think clay is harvested, not made? I have made things out of salt dough, in the past, though. http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Salt-Dough-Recipe.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

3X - Same situation here, though I'm on the opposite end of the age thing.  I'll be 32 next year, and we want to have at least four more.  I'm not super comfortable with having kids into my 40s, with all the increased risks, so we need to get going asap!  But the in-laws have given us quite a bit of financial help over the last few years, and I think they'll use that as a reason to lecture us about how irresponsible we are.  Nevermind that Husband's older brother has gotten just as much help from them over the years (they actually added up the figures at one point, so we know the exact amounts spent on each son) and already has two kids.  He never got any grief about it, but Husband is the second and least favorite son, so we certainly will.

I'd love a clay recipe too.  I was just looking at those handprint ornament kits, and wishing they had one big enough for Badger's hand.

Anyone want to share snow pics?  The plows were out here last night, but it just rained a lot.

I can't imagine having six kids. When I was pregnant with my first, my partner and I talked about a vasectomy. Now, we have two, and we will probably try to conceive number three this autumn. People always ask how many kids we will have, and I really don't know beyond that I really want another one. Not even five years ago, I didn't even think I wanted two, and I have almost twenty more years to change my mind.

Here are some fingerprint/handprint ornaments you could make, Feral: http://www.littlebitfunky.com/2011/11/20-minute-crafter-reindeer-thumbprint.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

It went pretty well, actually! YAY! My BP was 110/80 in the office. Whew, eh? I'm not happy with 80, but I'm way happy with 110, and I'll just have to work with it. He said all the expected things. Reduce/eliminate salt, get aerobic exercise, start yoga and progressive relaxation, keep watching my diet for where I can improve-- and lose weight--  GRRR, where was the kudos for losing 35lb in the last 15mo?? angry.gif

Exercise-- what is your goal? If it's fitness, yes; that's what it's for. I am wanting to be more fit, and for my heart to be more fit, and for my BP to come/stay down. If it's weight loss, I agree with Gary Taubes...it's for making one hungry, not for losing poundage.

<sticks fingers in ears> LALALALALA I'm not listening! Seriously, inspired by y'all, I've been running lately. I don't expect to be thin: I just don't have the genes for that, but if I happened to lose some weight...

Congrats about the blood pressure, Maia!

PS I've been obsessed with pictures of Mary breastfeeding Jesus, particularly ones depicting the miracle of lactation of St. Bernard like this one: http://www.art-breastfeeding.com/rel2/bern.htm Wouldn't that be a beautiful representation of the Goddess for an altar?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#67 of 205 Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Weightloss/Exercise, etc: I tell myself over and over "My goal is to be healthy, to live long" - otherwise I get all scale/pant size obsessed which is actuall not my style at all. 

Maia, glad to hear your appt went well. *phew!* I was inspired and contacted a local doctor who uses integrative medicine so I can FINALLY get a much needed physical and make sure everything is running as well as I think it is. haha.

Went to our local pagan store this afternoon and picked up some amazonite and citrine stones.  The statue was still there, if you ladies remember the one I was gushing about in October.  She was looking less fierce today and more gentle.  Still gorgeous.  Still breath-taking.  But I still feel like she's not to be owned, kwim??  *awesome*

I'm not feeling Scroog-alicious as I normally do this time of year.  Usually, I just want to slap the world by now but so far I'm doing well.  I totally have most of the "pieces" of my gifts and at some point I'll put them together.  ??  We are TOTALLY last minute kids in this house.  We were putting together our "grandma's house" signs ON Christmas day last year.  Oh well... This year I don't even care.  I purchased $20 in chocolate today.  $15 was for me! hahaha.  Maybe that's why I'm so easy going about this right now!!!  yummy.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#68 of 205 Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone decorating their tree this weekend?  

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#69 of 205 Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 PM

yeah for BP not being as bad as you thought, Maia!!!

we're not getting our tree until Tuesday. DH wanted to wait until Solstice, but he compromised with me.

And...we're sick. Throat nastiness.

Come ponder with me about food!
#70 of 205 Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostSo glad to see a younger mama on MDC. It seems like MDC definitely weights towards older mamas.

Congrats about the blood pressure, Maia!

PS I've been obsessed with pictures of Mary breastfeeding Jesus, particularly ones depicting the miracle of lactation of St. Bernard like this one: http://www.art-breastfeeding.com/rel2/bern.htm Wouldn't that be a beautiful representation of the Goddess for an altar?

You think? I thought it was biased toward younger mamas! But then...I'm way old for starting to have kids. Most of my mama friends, though, who have kids my ds's age, are around 34ish. Thanks on the congrats!

LOVE the pictures. How utterly irreverent, I think, the ones of squirting milk, OMG! (and then I have to think, heck, I could never squirt that far lol.gif )

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostOk everyone sorry for the delay on the card list - I swear I'm wrapping it up right now.  I've got PMs out to folks who have all said yeah or HECK Yeah!! in clay's case winky.gif

Yay! Been waiting for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostWeightloss/Exercise, etc: I tell myself over and over "My goal is to be healthy, to live long" - otherwise I get all scale/pant size obsessed which is actuall not my style at all. 

Maia, glad to hear your appt went well. *phew!* I was inspired and contacted a local doctor who uses integrative medicine so I can FINALLY get a much needed physical and make sure everything is running as well as I think it is. haha.

I purchased $20 in chocolate today.  $15 was for me! hahaha.  Maybe that's why I'm so easy going about this right now!!!  yummy.gif

I am relieved, too. But still watching it. My bloodwork came back today and apparently my cholesterol is high, too! angry.gif Grrr. And I know they'll only tell me to eat low-fat or some nonsense. Which I refuse to do. I do need to up my veggies, and go back and read Gary Taubes again.

The integrative guy here charges like $400 for an initial visit. And doesn't take insurances bigeyes.gif Apparently there are a LOT of crunchy, new-age rich people around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Done, done, and done! Last weekend! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

yeah for BP not being as bad as you thought, Maia!!!

we're not getting our tree until Tuesday. DH wanted to wait until Solstice, but he compromised with me.

And...we're sick. Throat nastiness.

Oh man...hope y'all feel better.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#71 of 205 Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 AM

Our tree went up yesterday, it is a lovely tree, fresh from a farm that doesn't use any sprays. We used white lights and even added tinsel (which isn't green, but I am hoping to pull it off and recycle it somehow) and it is very pertty.

Maia- good news :) your bp is good

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#72 of 205 Old 12-10-2011, 06:45 AM

the moon was especially lovely and comforting last night, telling me everything would work out just fine. I've been feeling the universe line up...DH and I interviewed in the last two weeks in the same town, which is awesome since we are a one car family. if both work out, i won't have to stress so much about money, though I'll be an extremely busy woman, teaching 18 credits at 2 schools!

#73 of 205 Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Tree is up!  thumb.gif

Do any of you awesome mamas have any recommendations for good Yule/Winter Solstice books for young kids? 

#74 of 205 Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM

We have A Solstice Tree for Jenny. It's very cute:)

#75 of 205 Old 12-10-2011, 04:59 PM

We just started decorating our Goddess Tree.  We have a garland of golden-painted paper beads and some little gods' eyes made from toothpicks and embroidery floss so far.  Will be adding ribbon bows and glittered paper snowflakes soon, and a paper chain.  We have a large gods'eye for the topper, made from yarn and chopsticks.  We always keep it simple, but this year I am especially worried about money.  We are really stripping back to the barest essentials.

"It is not I who am crazy...it is I who am MAD!!!"
-Ren, "Space Madness", The Ren & Stimpy Show, 1991
#76 of 205 Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Witchy - That's great!  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll both get the call soon.  We're a one car family too, so I know how important it is to coordinate work schedules.

We're not decorating a ton this year, because we don't have the money or thw space for it.  I wanted to go all out, since this will be our last Yule in "civilization", but Husband has promised that he'll get me battery powered or solar lights for next year, so we're all good!

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#77 of 205 Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Postthe moon was especially lovely and comforting last night, telling me everything would work out just fine. I've been feeling the universe line up...DH and I interviewed in the last two weeks in the same town, which is awesome since we are a one car family. if both work out, i won't have to stress so much about money, though I'll be an extremely busy woman, teaching 18 credits at 2 schools!

I seriously hope you're right about the Universe lining up. I sure could use it.

Good luck on your interview! That's a buttload of credits if you're taking them, let alone teaching them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostDo any of you awesome mamas have any recommendations for good Yule/Winter Solstice books for young kids? 

We like Sun Bread, by Elis(a? e?) Kleven. It's not really specifically a Solstice book, but it's become our family tradition over the years. We make a Sun bread and toss it up to the Sun on solstice morning, just like they do in the book. The recipe on the back of the book-- we don't really think it's that good, though. And we've not always made that particular recipe. There have been years when we were at my mom's on Solstice and have had to resort to dinner rolls lol.gif And other years, I've made bread in the bread machine. Some years I make a sun-shaped bread. That part, at our house, is not set in stone, as long as we have bread of some sort.

My ds loves the tossing up of the bread, though. We've been doing it since he was very little, and now he's nearly 11, and he still loves it. We wake up early Solstice morning, before Sunrise, and wait quietly. When we see Him peeking over the mountain, we toss up the bread bits, pop open the sparkling cider, pour libation on the ground, drink some ourselves (right out of the bottle!), and sing Sun songs. Made-up ones, since we don't know any "real" ones. "Welcome Sun" and such.

Then we open stockings and later, there's a feast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoLives! View PostWe just started decorating our Goddess Tree.  We have a garland of golden-painted paper beads and some little gods' eyes made from toothpicks and embroidery floss so far.  Will be adding ribbon bows and glittered paper snowflakes soon, and a paper chain.  We have a large gods'eye for the topper, made from yarn and chopsticks.  We always keep it simple, but this year I am especially worried about money.  We are really stripping back to the barest essentials.

LOVE homemade ornaments, though. You can dry orange slices in the oven-- 3 oranges usually are more than enough to cover a whole tree, and they're like 42c each right now for navels. And we make paper suns out of construction paper, with a cookie cutter for a guide, and glue glitter on them. Have you seen Trueman Capote's "A Christmas Memory"? My very favorite Christmas movie. It takes place in the Depression. Sook and Buddy are very poor and it's neat to watch how they decorate their tree. Paper and crayon ornaments, and they've saved up foil from Hershey's chocolate bars and such, for the star. I love those ideas.

DS stayed overnight at a friend's last night, and it's SO quiet here! Right now M is at his meeting, hopefully picking up his 30-day chip. He's got 36 days! love.gif

#78 of 205 Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

DH is the least favorite son, too. He's the oldest though, and had the hardest time with his parent's divorce when he was 11. He and his mom fought more or less constantly until he was 18 and could move out (she refused to allow him to move to his dads until then and he didn't want his little brothers getting pulled into a court battle if his dad pushed for custody which would've happened). They've more or less made up but she made his life as hellish as possible on purpose for many moons. Then he was basically disowned by his dad's side when DD was born because we weren't married. Then he had the audacity to go to culinary school instead of becoming a teacher like everyone else in his family. Poor DH doesn't even get a birthday card from his dad's parents anymore. Its a sad state of things, really, and whole lot of bull. I hate this time of year because we all put on our "nice" faces and pretend to like each other even though its just a big ole fake. Its really the only time of year we see them so that's a plus, but I still loath it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I have been walking. I walked 15m on Thursday, 20m on Friday, 28m on Monday, nothing on Tuesday cause it was nasty out, and yesterday, I was just getting ready to try a yoga DVD when a friend called who's moved away recently. So while I was on the phone with her, I walked all around inside my house. Around and around and around, for nearly 30 minutes! Yay me! I was distracted by the phone call, so I didn't really notice I was exercising, and I was actually somewhat breathless when I was done! And 25m today outdoors. I'm trying!

Walking at 10 months....if ds had done that, I would have thrown him out a window. He's so hyper as it is! He didn't walk till 14 months and I was perfectly fine if he'd crawled till he was nine lol.gif

Magic eraser-- the key is to try it in an inconspicuous place, first.

Scroogyness-- At this stage of the game, I'd be buying clay and buying a premade gingerbread house that you just put together and maybe buying premade cookie dough, or even cookies. Who cares, if it's homemade or store made, if it's late in the game and you feel pressed for time. It's all good. The key is not to feel guilty if you bought stuff instead of made it!

Mantra: let go of guilt orngbiggrin.gif

Glad your BP is looking better! As for exercise, I need to lose more than I want to admit and get far more fit. I'm really intimidated by it though, which is why I'm putting it off until next year. lol.gif And I don't want to miss out on DH's way too fattening but oh so yummy holiday food. eat.gif Mostly, I do need to just eat better and less, I will probably slim down quite a bit just by doing that. So its both health and weight issues.

I will totally do a gingerbread house kit! I want to make the clay though because that will be easier than trying to find a store the buy the clay at! lol.gif I'm going to hit the crafts hard this next week and get it all pulled together. I WILL! Really!! Letting go of guilt needs to be my everyday mantra, not my holiday mantra! I don't feel guilty about not crafting as much as I just don't wanna, kwim?

I'm kind of nervous about DS2 walking. He's been a mover ever since I first felt him before birth, he's been a mover. I'm nervous about how this is going to work. Already his six or seven wobbly steps are closer to running, LOL!! I have a feeling he's going to keep me on my toes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

I finally got my snow. Not a lot, but it's so pretty. My daughter was out in the snow right when she got up at 6AM, she was so excited. We got too little to build things, but she just enjoyed brushing the tree off the bushes and stuff. Later in the morning, I'm hoping to get the kids out to walk along the river to look for animal tracks. In the past we've mostly found squirrels, dogs, and resident ducks, but you never know...

So glad to see a younger mama on MDC. It seems like MDC definitely weights towards older mamas. I got pregnant with my first at 19, too. (My partner was the same age.) We didn't conceive number two, though, until two years later.

Good for you for being excited about an early walker. Both of my kids were early walkers: walking at 9 months. The second time around, I thought, "Oh, no." I rather have a walker who's a little more verbal and can understand more of what I say.

I've been less motivated around crafting than I would like. We've had pretty much constant illness. We're gonna make snowflakes out of popsicle sticks, paint, and beads later today. I have a few more simple craft ideas, too. I'm better of thinking of ideas than getting through them. My almost two year old gets into his older sib's work all the time, and not quite five, she freaks out.

I think clay is harvested, not made? I have made things out of salt dough, in the past, though. http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Salt-Dough-Recipe.html

Yay snow! We still haven't had any real snow, though it did spit a teeny amount over the weekend. I can't wait for more!!

I see a pretty big spread of ages on MDC, usually. Its nice to have the spread, I think. Lots of different perspectives and that's been helpful for me.

Real clay is harvested, I'm more looking for the play dough that can be baked like clay. Thanks for the recipe!

I love breastfeeding pics! I work a lot with Isis and I love how often She's portrayed nursing Horus. Thank you for sharing, its so beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

the moon was especially lovely and comforting last night, telling me everything would work out just fine. I've been feeling the universe line up...DH and I interviewed in the last two weeks in the same town, which is awesome since we are a one car family. if both work out, i won't have to stress so much about money, though I'll be an extremely busy woman, teaching 18 credits at 2 schools!

I hope that works out for you! Sounds very very busy, but very very awesome for your family! I hope the universe is lining up for everyone!

Oh, and Maia-I love the idea of throwing bread to the Sun on the Solstice! We are so going to have to do that this year! Thank you for sharing!!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#79 of 205 Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostI'm kind of nervous about DS2 walking. He's been a mover ever since I first felt him before birth, he's been a mover. I'm nervous about how this is going to work. Already his six or seven wobbly steps are closer to running, LOL!! I have a feeling he's going to keep me on my toes...

Oh, and Maia-I love the idea of throwing bread to the Sun on the Solstice! We are so going to have to do that this year! Thank you for sharing!!

My ds was the same way. I was just telling M how ds walked at 14 months, but it went like this-- he had two older friends that'd been walking for awhile. He was jealous. We were visiting out of town when he took his first steps. We got home, he got onto our long skinny porch, and ran, fell down, ran, fell down, back and forth, back and forth...for a full 30 minutes. Nonstop. He never crawled again.

Before that, though? I knew he was hyper in the womb. Srsly. I remember telling the ultrasound tech, if he's that hyper IN, I don't even wanna see what he's like OUT. And I wanted him tested for ADHD at 9 months old (I know, I know...first time mama and all...) but he did indeed turn out to be one of the most extreme cases his counselor has ever seen in her 20 years of counseling.

I'd highly recommend getting a harness by the time he's walking! Mine did not take "hold my hand" very well. He was that independent. And he loved to run into heavy traffic, and laugh.

Oh, Sun Bread-- get the book. Read it on Solstice Eve, and make the bread ahead, unless you want to get up at 4am to let it rise winky.gif

#80 of 205 Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM

oh mamas. i get to stay home to birth this time. we actually have the money for the out of pocket and DH doesnt want to go back to the hospital any more than i do. i am so happy. now if only she woulod call me back to tell me if she can see me. 

those breastfeeding pictures are nice. i love looking at paintings like that. i even liked a page on facebook that is about historic prints and paintings of breastfeeding. it is amazing to me.

i will be baking bread for solstice. i would like to maybe shape it. i also want to make gingerbread men, roast a turkey or a ham or something, make green bean casserole, mashed taters, gravy, etc. all the fixings for a meal that my family would expect. and then add something special. it looks like the solstice is the 22nd this year. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#81 of 205 Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Okay, so, I went out to my car this morning and saw that someone had gone through my car!  I was thinking of you, revolting, and thanking the Universe that I leave my car unlocked so they could just get in to see there was nothing.  I drive a 1999 Honda Civic that doesn't even have a tape deck!  I bet those hooligans were bummed... it just freaks me out that they were that close to my house.  I want to do a little cleansing ritual on it.  Maybe on the full moon I'll open the doors wide for 15 minutes and let the moon and breezes just clear the air.  ick.  That being said, I feel sad for people who are so desperate this time of year.  

Belly Dancing!  FUN!  I can see not liking to hike although that's a bummer in Asheville!  I hear there are great trails and whatnot.  I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, lady!!  

redveg: when do you start hearing back from the schools?  eeek!  that's got to be incredibly depleting emotionally... bah!  Sending you lots of love and patience!!

Stinks about the car but glad they didn't trash it.  cleansing ritual sounds perfect.  Yes we have heard back from a school for my DS, he's in if he wants:)  It was a huge weight off his shoulders.  We haven't heard back from his number one pick, won't until about the 20th of December.  Thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

My mom rarely locks her car door, and she used to leave her keys in the car too! My brother and I finally convinced her to lock the car and what happens? Someone breaks the window!  Needless to say, she went back to leaving things open.  I'm glad your car wasn't hurt and nothing was taken.

Different topic- anyone have a fav deoderant recipe?  I am super stinky!  LOL  Either I use a really serious antipers-deoderant which causes redness/peeling after a day or two OR I use the natural/crunchy stuff and stink by noon.  Any ideas?

We never lock our car doors.  We are so far out in the sticks you have to know we are here to find us:)  I use the natural stuff and it's a guessing game if it will hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Take the body cream of your choice (or coconut oil but I find it a wee bit greasy) and mix in as much baking soda as you can without it getting crumbly.  That's it.  It will make a white mark on your fancy black clothes if you put it on right before dressing, though, so apply it in advance and wipe it off before you dress to go out - or skip a day - we find we now can.

Worked on my BO and especially on my dd's adolescent BO, which was becoming a real problem.  I find we don't need to use it every day now as it does such a good job of keeping those odor bacteria at bay.

Thanks for posting, I am going to try:)

Quote:

Clay and DoK-I make my own deodorant. Its 2-3Tbs of coconut oil, 1/4 cup each baking soda and cornstarch. Mix until smooth. Rub a pea size amount under each arm. Baking soda for the stink, cornstarch for the sweat. Works very very well. I can skip a day in between (even with showering!) and it still works. I had to apply store bought deodorant twice a day after my last baby was born (thank you hormones....) and this is great! I do find it tends to dry my skin out some, but with the next batch I make I'm going to add a little more coconut oil and that should help. This stuff lasts a long long time, too, and you'll save sooo much cash. Oh, almost forgot-you can add 10-15 drops of an essential oil in there, too. A lot of recipes I've seen use tea tree oil.

Thanks for this one too:)

Quote:

Thanks for all the congrats on the baby!  We're a little shocked at how fast it happened, and praying she'll stick.  Husband is beside himself, he's such a marshmallow.

Congrats!

Quote:

Is anyone else feeling like a massive Scrooge??

Me.  Not so much when I am at home but when you have to be out in the stores, driving, people just seem to be so rude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

oh mamas. i get to stay home to birth this time. we actually have the money for the out of pocket and DH doesnt want to go back to the hospital any more than i do. i am so happy. now if only she woulod call me back to tell me if she can see me. 

Yeah!!  So happy for you:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#82 of 205 Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 AM

Morning all,

I have been so sick.  On the 6th DH took me out for a b-day dinner and it was yummy:)  Around 12:30a woke up and thought I was going to die!  Went to Dr. next day and it turns out my gallbladder is not good and they think the stones are blocking the ducts and messing with my liver:(  Yesterday I just started to feel almost back to normal.  I still have to see what they are going to do about my gallbladder, most likely take it out but at least my numbers are gong in the right direction as far as my liver is concerned.  I have been super stressed about the whole thing.  It was a tough way to lose 5 pounds. 

I hope everyone else is doing well:)  Hope I am able to keep up now that I am able to get out of bed.  Have a great day everyone.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#83 of 205 Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM

redveg: *phew!* one down...  glad you are feeling better!  Did we miss your birthday?  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  We need to have a birthday calendar or something. haha

maia and witchy: both of those books look awesome.  THANK YOU!  I am totally goign to do the bread thing, even though I'm totally just going to be alone.  There is no way that Z will get it at 18mos.  haha.  Although, I just watched her throw a toy clear across the room so maybe she'd really love throwing bread! ha!  

Slowly working on getting our crafty gifts done... but it's been so sunny I just want to play outside!!!!

#84 of 205 Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 AM

I wish life would slow down a little bit... I feel like I'm running around constantly and yet, I have little results to show for all this action...

Laundry is calling... at least we'll have clean clothes, lol!

Valérie   
#85 of 205 Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM

redveg- Ouch, hope you are feeling better and they figure stuff out.

Clay- I have to switch often. I have three different ones I use- one totally un-natural, lavendar Liquid Rock and a salt rock spray. The liquid rocks usually works.

Solstice- I am still unsure what I would like to make

I am trying to avoid turning on the pellet stove but it is getting chilly in here. The temp is hovering around 64 in the house. I am comfortable around 68.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#86 of 205 Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Done. See?

Yule tree with goddess topper.  The base, with a yule log candle.

Also, I'm getting ready to embark on a new tradition: DoY (Dark of the Year) Goal setting (aka, resolutions). This year I am going to be looking for freelance writing jobs, and working on my (multiple) books. I may be encouraged to post updates on this, and if anyone wants to join me in it... ?

BTW, FeralFox, congrats!

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#87 of 205 Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM

I love the DOYgoals idea!

Three of the four kiddos are sick, I'm sick, and I am down to my last nerve... sigh.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#88 of 205 Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Redveg-  Eek!  That sounds so awful!  I hope you are fully recovered.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#89 of 205 Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Wolfcat, love your tree! I will have to try to get pix of ours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redveg View PostI have been so sick.  On the 6th DH took me out for a b-day dinner and it was yummy:)  Around 12:30a woke up and thought I was going to die!  Went to Dr. next day and it turns out my gallbladder is not good and they think the stones are blocking the ducts and messing with my liver:( 

Yikes, what an awful birthday surprise! I hope you are feeling better, and can celebrate in style when you are! Happy belated anyway birthday.gif

Today is M's birthday-- and he is sober for the first birthday in ages joy.gif I sent him a teeny birthday cake, and a Yankee candle in Mistletoe to help his little studio smell Christmassy orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostI am totally goign to do the bread thing, even though I'm totally just going to be alone.  There is no way that Z will get it at 18mos. 

She will love throwing the bread, and you will be creating a family ritual that she'll remember year after year. It doesn't matter if she doesn't "get" it this year! Y'all will have fun and that's what counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostI wish life would slow down a little bit... I feel like I'm running around constantly and yet, I have little results to show for all this action...

What I do on those days is cheat. I write on a list what I did do, and then go right behind myself and cross those things out. At the end of the day I can see I really did accomplish things, even if it wasn't what I set out to do. It works!

#90 of 205 Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Love the sun bread idea, but we are bread-free here.  We might have to do sunflower seeds instead.

I'm down with DOY goals.  My main one is to clean up the house.  Our front room is still stacked with boxes from out last move, and I'm sick of it.  Also, I need to keep after my diet and exercise through the holidays, especially now that I'm growing a small.  The only other thing is to keep up with our savings, so that we'll be in the right place financially to be able to move to our farm next year.

Redveg, I'll be praying for your health.  That sounds so scary!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page