December Pagan Families - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today is Roo's birthday party!  I got 9 balloons and scattered them throughout my (tiny) living room.  Plus, one spider man ballon (for good luck).  This will be the first party that I'm jn charge of keeping the kids entertained (a friend, Marvelous Marvin, kept the kids busy at Roo's last real party.)  I hope the crafty thing that I have planned isn't too 'young'.  My son wanted to do it so I hope all the other kids enjoy it.  I bought plain white cardboard boxes at Paper Source and the kids will decorate them.  I will start by talking about what they think they want to be when they get older.  What their hopes/dreams are.  These boxes will be a special place for them to put their most important things (I will give them ideas.)  They can decorate it with their current interests (I have mode podge, decorative papers, stickers, etc).  They can also choose to decorate it at their house (I know there will be at least one boy who won't be interested in crafting.)

One of ds's major interest is music. Rock music.  So after we are done with the boxes, the kids will get to jam.  We have instruments so the kids can try them all out (or they can bring their own.)  I'll take photo's of each child and either print it out for them to take or email it (depends on how much ink I have left!).

Then we eat.  Phew!

Will post pics on my blog this evening.

Maia- Omg, I thought that pic was from when you were younger!!  You look amazing!  I'm almost 45 but definitely look my age.  bag.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#122 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Today is Roo's birthday party!  I got 9 balloons and scattered them throughout my (tiny) living room.  Plus, one spider man ballon (for good luck).  This will be the first party that I'm jn charge of keeping the kids entertained (a friend, Marvelous Marvin, kept the kids busy at Roo's last real party.)  I hope the crafty thing that I have planned isn't too 'young'.  My son wanted to do it so I hope all the other kids enjoy it.  I bought plain white cardboard boxes at Paper Source and the kids will decorate them.  I will start by talking about what they think they want to be when they get older.  What their hopes/dreams are.  These boxes will be a special place for them to put their most important things (I will give them ideas.)  They can decorate it with their current interests (I have mode podge, decorative papers, stickers, etc).  They can also choose to decorate it at their house (I know there will be at least one boy who won't be interested in crafting.)

One of ds's major interest is music. Rock music.  So after we are done with the boxes, the kids will get to jam.  We have instruments so the kids can try them all out (or they can bring their own.)  I'll take photo's of each child and either print it out for them to take or email it (depends on how much ink I have left!).

Then we eat.  Phew!

Maia- Omg, I thought that pic was from when you were younger!!  You look amazing!  I'm almost 45 but definitely look my age.  bag.gif

Wow, thank you! loveeyes.gif No, it's from this past Halloween, actually. So...not even two months ago. But I have lost 35lb or so and I put my hair back to the way it was in high school, so maybe that's it?

The party sounds fine. I notice it usually goes its own way, no matter how I plan it shrug.gif Happy birthday, Roo!

ETA: mine likes rock, too...Green Day in particular. Yours?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#123 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Happy Birthday to Roo!  DoK, that sounds like an awesome (but noisy!) party!  I wish I were that inventive - so far Badger has just had quiet parties at home with family.  His friends at school are starting to have big ones that all the other kids in class are invited too, and though I know I should start doing the same, I'm really dreading it.

Clay - How scary about the accident!  Maybe the other driver was drunk.  I'm glad only cars were harmed.

Maia - I was thinking late 30s, so I was as surprised as everyone to learn your age.  You're gorgeous!

We had Yule at the grove yesterday.  It was nice, but they did it outside, so I didn't last long.  I hung out in the house until everyone came back in, but only stayed 3 hours total because I was wiped out.  I wish I could trade this exhaustion for morning sickness!  As long as I can hold it together for Yule so Badger can have a good holiday, I'll be good.  I don't have a lot of ornaments so I hung dum-dums and candy canes on the tree (I read about the tradition of hanging goodies on the tree, and it sounded fun).  We're going to make bird ornaments, a gingerbread house, and ornaments to give as gifts.  I used to be sad about being so low budget at Yule, but I've changed my mind and I like it now.

The tat happened when I was already pregnant, but barely.  I did a lot of research online about infection risk, and in the end decided that I trusted my shop (and Kali) enough to go through with it.  I'm very glad I did.  Husband got his very first tattoo a week later!

My belly hasn't gotten any bigger, thanklfully, just harder.  I did wear a 2 but I'm slightly out of them now, though my 4s are still a bit loose.  I'm 5'6" but short waisted, so I guess there's just nowhere for Fishy to go but out.  Thanks for all the compliments, btw shy.gif  I've struggled with body image and an eating disorder for a long time, so pregnancy is really rough on me that way.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#124 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Postso far Badger has just had quiet parties at home with family.  His friends at school are starting to have big ones that all the other kids in class are invited too, and though I know I should start doing the same, I'm really dreading it.

Maia - I was thinking late 30s, so I was as surprised as everyone to learn your age.  You're gorgeous!

I've struggled with body image and an eating disorder for a long time, so pregnancy is really rough on me that way.

Aww, thank you! I don't feel gorgeous...but then, I never have, much. I've always been called "cute", which I hate, but when you're 5'1" what else can you be? I'm just starting to realize just how teeny I am. I see much older women my height (or lack thereof...sigh) and think they look ridiculous, and "Is that what I'm going to look like when I'm old?" redface.gif I feel silly. If I was less fat, I'd look even tinier, like a fairy or something. Some people have already said I look like a hobbit irked.gif

Don't dread...ALL the other kids in R's school have always had parties at places and invite the whole class. I simply can not afford that, so we have NEVER done that. We have always had at-home parties and the most kids that were ever in our tiny house is 9, I think, but usually hovers around 4-5. I've never told R that we don't do it because of money. That's only partially the case anyway; I think it's ostentatious...I think birthday parties should be rather intimate. But that's just me.

I bet you are one gorgeous pregnant woman! Pregnancy always makes a woman beautiful. Plus I would not be surprised if most of us have struggled with body image issues.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#125 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

I almost forgot, someone wanted to see my back piece when it was finished.  It's done now, so here it is:

(I really don't have huge love handles.  I had to pull my skirt way down my hips to show the bottom completely, and as a result am almost showing my bottom completely.)

DSC_0038.JPG

That is sooo freakin' AWESOME! (DH says "f*cking epic", btw). And we both agree that what you have isn't anywhere CLOSE to love handles.

We are finalizing our plans (keeping it basic) for Yule. We decided not to travel over 400 miles this holiday season, so that eliminates a TON of stress.

Oh, and I got a promotion at work.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#126 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Two kids brought recorders and Roo hates the sound.  He suddenly wanted the jam session to end.  LOL.

The craft was a HUGE hit!  I was amazed at how much they were into it.  

Now, I'm completely wiped out.  I started having bad pain (surgical area) afterwards so now I'm just chilling out on the sofa.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

#127 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View PostOh, and I got a promotion at work.

Yay! Congratulations! What a Yule gift, eh? What do you do, again?

And yay for less stress for the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostTwo kids brought recorders and Roo hates the sound.  He suddenly wanted the jam session to end.  LOL.

Now, I'm completely wiped out.  I started having bad pain (surgical area) afterwards so now I'm just chilling out on the sofa.

See, parties always go how they want to thumb.gif and they're usually successful. I'm glad it all went well! And I bet you are wiped out! Been there, done that, mama! hug2.gif

Off to the public Yule ritual. Yay!

OH!! I just looked closer at my tix for Boston on the 30th-- I did not have seat confirmations/assignments! Yikes!

Last year, on 12/26, when I was supposed to leave to go there, I got a call late on Christmas evening that my flights were cancelled! I scrambled and scrambled to get replacement flights, only to barely make it out of Norfolk because of the storms all up and down the east coast, and then I didn't have a seat assignment on the flight out of Atlanta to Boston, and then I was the very last standby to get on that flight to MA. Boy howdy, was I in tears, no mistake. First, tears of fear and anxiety and utter deflated disappointment, and then tears of abject relief.

I have never, ever, since then, forgotten to make seat assignments! I don't know why I couldn't, this time (online), but I just called and talked to a person, and paid an extra $25 to have one on the way up there. I was NOT going to chance it being too full, even if I did get to the airport early. I just got my confirmation email, and printed it out. WHEW. YAY.

At least on the way back, I have more wiggle room. But a big WHEW, again, to me, eh?

#128 of 205 Old 12-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Then we eat.  Phew!

Oh fun stuff!  Sounds like a brilliant birthday party thumb.gif  

Quote:

It's late but I wanted to pop on quickly to say that I've left Facebook.

Did you?? I must be goin crazy because I thought I saw you post lol.  Either I need more sleep, or more coffee ;)

Quote:

Two kids brought recorders and Roo hates the sound.  He suddenly wanted the jam session to end.  LOL.

LOL  Lucas does not love recorders either!  

Sorry mamas,  I haven't been on a lot.  I'm over the net at the moment... I play a few fb games and say stuff it lol.  School is out here now, so Connor is home during the day so our days have gotten a bit busy!  We're enjoying a fairly mild summer so far... we've hit a couple of parks and we even wandered over to the nature centre / animal park and spent the morning seeing all the australian critters treehugger.gif.   Our holiday preparations are pretty much done,  we wrapped some pressies last night and Derrick (my teenager) was inducted into the grown up role of wrapping gifts hehehe.  We're having the parents over for Christmas eve... mum is bringing the prawns and salmon, I'm in charge of whipping up some salads (DOK, ty for the layered salad link!  that's one we haven't had in a while so I'm definitely making that).   We'll have champagne and nibbles and the boys will get their gifts from Nan & grandpa that night... cause I'm a softie hehe.  

On Christmas day I'm going to cave in & crank the air con up and roast a turkey breast ;) make stuffing, rolls and some veggies.  It's supposed to be iffy in the weather department here the entire week so lets hope we get a wee break and some sunlight ;)

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to post, but I have a headache and I'm scatterbrained... might come back later if I remember!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#129 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 AM

Another busy week-end...

Yesterday, we had Santa's parade and Children's Christmas in our little town; DD2 ended up with 3 gifts! She got her regular gift from Santa (Nanny Oakes) then one for the Drawing contest (Drawing Daisy from Crayola) and a last one in a raffle (a red shovel)!  Two of the gifts need batteries... One is very loud and annoying... But she's happy. ;-) 

The Buche de Noel recipe I tried (flourless cake) is very good and that's what I,ll bring for Christmas at my sister's.

We have a little snow right now... hope it will stay! Easier to be in Holiday mood with some snow around.

I'm searching for our Sausage Stew recipe to make for Solstice... can't remember where it is... If I don't find it, I think I'll make super easy Salmon Cari...

Going to boil some more water and make a big pot of Honey Lemon water to sooth DD2 and I. Might add Marshmallow root... We both caught a cold and feel like we've been hit by a truck. ;-(

Valérie   
#130 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 AM

wow! i couldnt get on for 2 days and there is so much to read! 

i love the kali tat! i used to be a size 5, way back when i was 25. since then i gained and then lost a lot of weight. i was back down to a 6! right before i got pregnant again. i am only 12 weeks and look 6 months. most of that is bloating. i havent been following my diet too well. eating stuff i shouldnt bc i want it lol. 

my 8 yr old had a bday party this sat. she invited 4 friends and her half sister. one kid called to say they couldnt come, the other 3 just didnt show up. at least her sister came and 2 of her grandmas. she still had a blast. but i feel so sad for her. every year it is the same thing. no one shows up. last year her grandma didnt come either. it is always like that so she doesnt know that people have parties where all the friends show up. ioo told her that since her bday is so close to xmas that we will have a half bday this summer either early june before baby or late july after baby comes to make up for it. it will be a huge kid party at the park with the water play area and a giant picnic. and i will invite everybody! she said that sounded good and that if kids didnt come that she would still have fun with her sisters. i love that kid. there is something so special about her and her outlook on life. 

i scheduled my first midwife appt today! and yesterday met with a doula who lives 2 mi from me. she is working for her accreditation and this will be the first birth she has attended. i feel good about that as last time i didnt need all the much. ii think i mostly needed company by someone who understood. she was real nice. i like that i am helping her to realize her dream of helping women in birth. she has actually been a client of the same midwife. and DH actually sat down and shared his feelings about it with her. yay for progress with him!

DH is laid up for a couple of weeks. he had eye surgery to replace his lens and give him a vitreoctomy. he had scar tissue in there. he is supposed to be doing nothing but he strained himself and caused a small hemorraghe. i had to take him back to the hospital to get it looked at and they put him on lots more meds. he has another appt today. i am hoping for good news. he has had way too many things go wrong. i need him to heal up so he can go back to work. both for his sanity and for our pocket books. we spent too much on presents and the 8yr olds bday presents. and with living off our savings, it will be tight even though i get paid the 3rd of every month. my income is nothing after our bills are paid. but mostly i worry about his eye. he has gone through so much to try and get some sight out of it. i keep praying every day that it will work. he will be happy just to see sort of shapes out of it. 

i finally decided on what to make the grandparents for presents. little handprint ornaments and little suncatchers from a kit. they look fun and the kids love crafts. i need to get on the making homemade bread. i am going to start early thurs morning so we can eat thur night. the kids have school thur so instead of staying up all night wed we will get up a little early to welcome back the sun. we went to a CUPPS meeting the other day where they listened to stories of the solstice and the suns rebirth, made crafts, and ate food. it was tons of fun. now that my little kids are getting older it is more fun to do the holidays things with them. we always did DHs thing cause he loves it like a kid lol, but now it feels right to add my stuff to the mix. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#131 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Ugh... I got sick on Sat (a GI bug that started at the top and worked it's way down) and am just barely human today.  Yesterday was a total blur.  SO between not having a car during the week (I still don't have a car bleh) and then not being able to do more than crawl from bed to bathroom for the entire freaking weekend... the Yule cards will be going out late (I need stamps!).

SIgh.  I have a to-do list that's a half mile long and I'm running out of time.  And I don't have a car.  And I'm sick.  LOL  This means we'll have a new year of health and happiness right?  'Cause we're using up all the ick right now, yes?  Actually I realized that this is the third year in a row that one or more of us have been sick as dogs for Yule.  I can only hope I'll feel better by the end of today and be able to get everything done tomorrow (I"ll have to drop dh off at work, get the kids to a full day of doctor visits, then finish the shopping/get stamps/wrap gifts/plan a new Yule meal because the last thing I ate was chicken and rice on Sat and there is no way in heck I am eating chicken again for a loooooooong time.).

Yay for happy birthday parties!  And boo for parties where no one shows up.  That happens a LOT here.  Like the winter spiral we threw... we had absolute "we will be there" responses from a few families and then none of them came.  And the two families that did come hadn't said they would.  Mike and I have decided that, with a family of 6, individual birthday parties are going to be too much work.  So we're going to pick a week and call it a "family birthday week" and do the "party" stuff then.  On an actual birthday we'll let the birthday kid pick the meal or craft or movie or something special, but it'll be the "party week" that has all the nifty stuff so we can just kind of do it and be done.  LOL

Ok, the computer is killing my headache... hang in there all!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#132 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM

DoK: The party sounds AWESOME.  So glad to hear that it went smoothly.  Hooray!  and, happy birthday to your Roo!! birthday.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

The tat happened when I was already pregnant, but barely.  I did a lot of research online about infection risk, and in the end decided that I trusted my shop (and Kali) enough to go through with it.  I'm very glad I did.  Husband got his very first tattoo a week later!

Feral, I hope you know I wasn't being judge-y -- I didn't even think about infection or anything (i'm horrible!) I was just peeing my pants with excitement for you since you had concerns about how Kali wanted you to proceed with tattoo/TTC and it all went down so perfectly timed for you!  Really, really, really, fricken cool.  LOVE!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

We are finalizing our plans (keeping it basic) for Yule. We decided not to travel over 400 miles this holiday season, so that eliminates a TON of stress.

Oh, and I got a promotion at work.

WAHOOOO!!!  to both!  We cut a bunch of travel out of our holidays last year and it made it so much more enjoyable.  And a promotion - bouncy.gif that's just spectacular!!!  

Maia: I'll echo everyone to tell you that you're beautiful and timeless. 

Thank the Goddess that you got your seat assignment all figured out and can rest easy.  How fun that you can ring in the New Year with M!!  So cute.  

Cari: your summer sounds like it's going nicely.  I know you said you seriously dislike the heat so I'm glad to hear it's been mild so you can actually be outside with the kiddos.

Valerie: I hope you feel better by the time the holidays are here...which of course, is so soon!!  I've never heard of Marshmallow Root... can you tell me more about it?  What does it taste like?  Do you use it for sore throats or colds or just to make the body feel better?

I am feeling super, super in the holiday spirit today!  I got most of the presents finished adn wrapped this weekend.  I'm giving the grandparents "treasure boxes" to put special Z keepsakes in.  Painting them has been a much bigger undertaking than i thought it would be but they are NEARLY done!  and then... WE BAKE!  woohooo!!!  kitchen meditations!!  weeeeeee!!!joy.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#133 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post(DOK, ty for the layered salad link!  that's one we haven't had in a while so I'm definitely making that)

Yay, Cari, missed you! What's this layered salad? It sounds NOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostGoing to boil some more water and make a big pot of Honey Lemon water to sooth DD2 and I. Might add Marshmallow root... We both caught a cold and feel like we've been hit by a truck. ;-(

Add fresh garlic, srsly. Aviva Jill Romm has this garlic lemonade recipe that kicks butt, for getting rid of ickies (CLAY, are you listening too?). I just whipped up a gallon of it for my very sick best friend. I hope they're feeling better, actually; I need to call her! But she had no voice at all, the other day, poor thing. I don't want to stress her voice out any more than I have to.

Sausage in a stew? Now yum, that's an idea yummy.gif

Lioness, wow about your DH. I hope he's up and running soon. That sounds very unfun. And ITA about the birthday party issue. That happens with my ds, too, only-- he's an only, so when nobody shows up, it's extra sad. I try to overinvite just a bit, and if everybody shows, oh well. They never do, though. But they have this weird habit in this town of asking (or just assuming!) that siblings are invited, too. TOTALLY pisses me off, that one does. Um, no-- if I wanted siblings, they'd have been on the invitation irked.gif

Off to finish wrapping, while I can. DS gets off at 1:30 on Mondays, and he's off for winter break on Wednesday at noon yikes2.gif I need to get working!

#134 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Who was talking about latkes earlier? Here are low carb ideas: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2010/12/04/the-original-latkes-were-low-carb.htm?nl=1

#135 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the link to the layered salad:  http://www.abeachcottage.com/2011/12/beach-cottage-too-easy-recipe-christmas-layered-salad.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Yay, Cari, missed you! What's this layered salad? It sounds NOM.

#136 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Here's the link to the layered salad:  http://www.abeachcottage.com/2011/12/beach-cottage-too-easy-recipe-christmas-layered-salad.html

Oh. My. Gods. I can have all of this except the peas. I am SO going to make this at some point. Thank you! YUMMY!

#137 of 205 Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 PM

Vydalea - I didn't think you were being judgey, just wanted to clear up that question for whomever might be curious.  I agree with you on the timing, it was too perfect.  care to share pics of your treasure boxes when they're done?

Wolfcat - Congrats on the promotion, and on being able to stay home for the holidays!

Lioness - Healing vibes to your hubby!

Maia - Good job with the wrapping, I haven't even started mine yet!  And I'm glad to hear everything worked out well for your flight!

I'm at work right now (usually am when I'm online, no interwebs at home) after having to take three different buses to get here, because my usual bus decided to just not show up.  That is all too common in this city.  I really can't wait to get out of here!

I'm working tomorrow night too so I have to sleep tomorrow, but I also have to clean up and organize like crazy to get everything readcy for the holiday.  Badger comes down Wednesday morning, so I want to have the house tidied up and his gifts wrapped by then.  The in-laws are being so accomidating, I don't know what to think.  They've agreed that we'll come over on Yule, and we'll do our dinner and gifts with that that day, on our holiday, rather than having to do it on xmas.  I'm impressed - maybe they're starting to accept that this whole polytheism thing is our true belief and not a phase we're going through, lol.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#138 of 205 Old 12-20-2011, 04:27 AM

This is a page about marshmallow root: http://www.learningherbs.com/marshmallow_root.html

I've used it in hot/warm infusion but will try the cold infusion...

The taste... well... I tend to use it with other herbs... I haven't tasted "nature" but, being a root, I guess it's a little "earthy". ;-)

Thank you Maia for the reminder about garlic! Today, we'll eat garlic in honey a few times...

Valérie   
#139 of 205 Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

I'm thinking about doing a Yule Log, too. I'm a little intimidated by it, but DH has done them before so I'd at least have someone to ask for help! And since we can't burn a Yule Log, at least we could eat one!!

Man, all this talk of Yule Logs makes me wish I was up to doing that this year! I tried to make meringue cookies this morning, and it was a total disaster. Anyone have a recipe they really like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Yule is looking like a bit of crazyness for us because of Hanukkah and also we've been invited to a friends for a holiday party that night, but I'm totally doing a buche de Noel again this year as it was super fun last year.   I will also keep my eyes spied for a yule log to drill into!  Yay for power tools!!!

You know, going into the holidays, I thought it would be cool that Solstice, Hanukkah, and Christmas all intersect this year, but I think I prefer last years more spaced out holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Ye Gods, I'm just-turned-52 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I've quit so many things I've started. Like nursing school. Twice. I'm happy just being a mom, but by Fall of 2013 I will have to have a job. My annuity that I've been living on runs out then. I have to find some way to make $1039/month. And I haven't worked since 1999. Yikes.

I tried to get into nursing school, too, but with a kid, just getting into the coveted pre-reqs at times I could actually make work with childcare was impossible.

BTW, thanks for all the wonderful support on the age thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

Oh Yule is next week! yay. i better get to wrapping presents! the kids actually have school that day so we will probably wait till sun on xmas to open presents. but i want to make an awesome dinner and gingerbread men. and some homemade bread. and read a book about the solstice! 

Wrapping presents? I have to finish presents: why am I playing on the internet again? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

My dad got some good news yesterday mostly just in the fact that this new dr isn't assuming he's full of hooey and really is in a lot of pain. They are going to run several tests to see if there's an infection, if the implant is loose or if his body is rejecting the implant and going from there. They didn't discuss solutions but it was nice that the dr is willing to look at possibilities for the amount of pain he's in rather than just writing it off to low pain tolerance. The dr also said hip replacements are generally more difficult for ppl with osteonecrosis and they have more complications which is something Dad was not told. But he also said Dad should be able to get 5-10 years out of his left hip before that needs to be replaced. The bone is still pretty strong and no where near collapsing so that's a huge positive. If Dad could just go two years without surgery and pain I think he'd be a whole new man!!

Glad to hear some good news about your father!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Random- DH was in a car accident last night!  He said an older woman in a red car was driving really oddly, then she cut in front of him, slammed on her brakes, he hit her, she sped up and hit another car.  DH and the other driver both pulled over and expected her to as well but she didn't.... she just kept going!  DH is ok, the airbags didn't go off or anything, but the hood is all crumpled and the grill/radiator is smashed in.  The other driver (the one the lady rear ended/side swiped) had a bunch of scrapes and dings.  We're trapped at home since dh has to use the minivan till the subaru is fixed but ugh!  I'm so glad he's ok but what the heck?  The woman MUST have known she'd been hit and although she could get in trouble for reckless driving being hit from behind is automatically "not her fault" in terms of insurance (though her hitting the other guy could have been a problem).  I wonder if she didn't have insurance or something?  DH said she was weaving in and out of lanes, and was driving right down the yellow line at one point.  So maybe she was on something?  I'm just glad there wasn't a bigger crash... that section of road has a lot of pedestrians (it's a major bus stop so people are running to catch buses and there are a number of restraunts/bars/coffee shops there too so lots of foot traffic) and it could have been really bad.

39% interest? That's just usury. And that sucks about the hit-and-run. Glad he's okay!

My big kid found a dead mouse in the closet this morning. Ugh! We just caulked up the closet really well, even though we didn't see any mouse holes just in case because we kept seeing them run in and out of there. Where are they coming from??? Upstairs neighbors have mice, too...the rest of the neighbors, I'm not sure since they don't speak much English yet.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#140 of 205 Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View PostMaia - Good job with the wrapping, I haven't even started mine yet!  And I'm glad to hear everything worked out well for your flight!

Oh, that's just ds's stuff lol.gif I have to do it while he's at school, and he only has one more half-day till he's on vacay. Everybody else except my mom is getting a basket of stuff. Check this out: Dollar Tree has basket bags! Two in a bag for $1.00. So cool! So I am not wrapping what's in the baskets, just putting the whole basket in the bag and putting a bow on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI tried to get into nursing school, too, but with a kid, just getting into the coveted pre-reqs at times I could actually make work with childcare was impossible.

I know; I had to have someone move in, in order to do it, as y'all know I'm a single mom. I gave her free rent in exchange. Hey, y'all, guess what? I signed up for a drawing class next semester. I used to draw/paint/do artwork for years and years, long ago, but my muse went on vacation and hasn't really shown up since. This is a nature drawing class. I'm excited but nervous!

#141 of 205 Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Seriously, sometimes I need to have a bowl of popcorn next to me while I read this thread - I get so hungry!  salads and yule logs and latkes, OH MY!  That salad looks ridiculously delicious and EASY!  And, Maia, it was me asking about latke recipes.  Thanks for the link!!

Feral: The boxes are wrapped but I will try to remember to snap a pic after they are opened.  Nothing too exciting just these boxes that are about 12''x8'' and about 4'' deep that I found at AC Moore.  They had pretty handles and latches.  I painted them up, wrote "ZOEY" on them and done.  I did 3, one for each set of grandparents.  My sister said she wanted one but I told her for the sake of my sanity she'd have to wait!  haha.  It's not that they are intricately painted but having limited baby-free time and space to paint was a pain...and I had to remove all of the hardware since there were little divits in them for the paint to sneak in to.  Totally worth the slight PITA though.  smile.gif

Valerie: thanks for the link and info on marshmallow root.  the link seems really awesome.  I'm trying to use herbal remedies as much as I can but have ZERO clue so I'm glad to have you all! 

Maia: Can you share the garlic lemonade recipe?  and...awesome on the basket sale/ no wrapping. 

revolting: YIKES! on the mice.  I hope they find a new home where they are welcome! 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#142 of 205 Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My goodness, I didn't think I was gone for too long but I had a lot to catch up on! I've noticed that I'm not getting updates emailed to me like I should since I'm subscribed to this post. I get two or three every two or three days, but the post is updated way more often than that! (I choose to get an immediate update since I don't get many emails so it beefs up my inbox in a positive way lol.gif) This happen to anyone else? Maybe I should check my spam box??

Can y'all believe Yule is in two days?! Holy monkeys, when did December fly by? We got our last Yule gifts in the mail today (awesome shipping, thank you Amazon!) and now we wait to wrap. DH has this thing for wanting to wrap everything on Christmas Eve (this is my first year actually celebrating Yule, in fact it will be my first Pagan holiday celebration so I'm easing DH into it and I'm going to slowly transition our traditions). Since the boys are babies yet and would just rip up any gifts under the tree, I indulge him in it. Esp since once the boys are old enough to leave the presents alone, I'm going to wrap each gift as soon as I get it! I love to watch the pile grow under the tree. One of my favorite things as kid, staring with wonder as piles of gifts would appear and adding my own poorly wrapped gifts to the mix. I'd sit under the tree and move the boxes around constantly so that the gifts would be suitable mixed. lol.gif I was a weird kid!! lol.gif

Maia-I'd love that lemonade recipe! DS1 is down with a cold/fever thing and I want him up and running for Yule and the Christmas marathon. I'm thinking I'm going to pump him a little mommy milk to mix into his cup, but every remedy is worth a shot! Snap, I forgot honey for a cough and the poor guy's been coughing all day. Must remember that tomorrow...

And so glad your tickets are taken car of!!

revolting--EEEK! I don't mind rodents at all, when they are properly caged or I purposefully let them out. But to find a dead one in my clothes....gah! Hope the caulking clears it up for you!!!

Vydalea--I love your gift box idea! I think I may do that next year. 

Feral--How did your family take it when you told them you were Pagan? How'd you bring it up? I'm going back and forth between being fully out of the broomcloset and taking refuge around extended family. 

Ok, I have to admit, the closer I'm getting to our yearly Christmas marathon, the more Scroogy I get. This year we are up to an all time high of six Christmas celebrations in four days. dizzy.gif As much as I don't want DS1 to be sick, it might be kind of nice to get to sit out of one or two! whistling.gif

Oh, and to end on a fun note: DD has made a snowman family for FIL for Christmas. She's only painting on of them, though, because "he's the only one who is melting". Apparently, snowmen sweat brown water when they melt. So she's painted these three balls of stacked salt playdough brown. It doesn't look anything like a snowman and I'm sure you can guess what it does look like!! ROTFLMAO.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#143 of 205 Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh no, a few things I forgot to post on and wanted to:

Clay-Sorry to hear you are sick! That's the worst kind of sick, too! Hoping its done and gone in time for plenty of yummy things to help you build some strength back up!

Wolfcat-Congrats on the promotion!!

Lioness-Sorry about your DH, that's such a bummer! Hopefully he will relax and not overdo it anymore. No more setbacks!! And hooray for midwife appts! Those were the highlight of my month during my last two pregnancies, lol!

Cari-Sounds like an awesome summer so far! Though I have to admit, its hard for me to get my head around the idea of Christmas being in the summer. lol.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#144 of 205 Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 AM

lol brown snowmen!! 

it doesnt seem to take much to upset dhs eyeball. tmi but he was constipated and took a laxative and after he worked it out i think his pressure went up again. i m ight have to take him to the doc again today or tomorrow if it dont feel better soon. he gets such an awful headache and he was feeling so good there for a day or 2. now he is grouchy with a headache again. and he has to take the pain med again that was causing the other issue. 

yay for solstice eve! i am planning on making the big dinner tomorrow. we arent staying up all night tonight bc the kids have school in the morning but we are waking up early to welcome back the sun. today is my midwife appt. so excited and tonight we want to finish making the grandparents gifts. we already made suncatchers for them. next we are making handprint things in plaster of paris for them to hang on them wall. i need ideas bc i have 4 kids who want to do every one and then paint them. i want them to be small enough to hang on the wall. lol. so off to google ideas. then tomorrow night we decided to eat boneless bbq ribs with mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade bread, and green beans. its a good thing i am getting up early. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#145 of 205 Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Solstice!  Yuletide Blessings to all!

We are going to decorate gingerbread men cookies this evening.  At 4pm, we'll start our festivities.  We'll be decorating with holly (from my yard) and hopefully some evergreens that I can find for free.  We're going to go to the flower shop in town and ask if they have any extra sprigs we can have for free.  I'll have Roo ask and tell them it's for a homeschool project.  shy.gif

We'll put battery operated candles in the windows to welcome the return of a sun.

Tomorrow, we shall celebrate the birth of the new born son.  Yep, son.  It's Roo's birthday on Thursday!

#146 of 205 Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Uhm, Lioness, do you have room for one more at your table?  heehee.  Ribs sound DELICIOUS!!!  I hope your DH feels better soon.  Yikes.  Headaches are just no fun.  

3x: If you find the 50% off coupons for AC Moore and start collecting the boxes one at a time early they cost about $6 a piece plus paint.  Like I said, just make sure you remove the hardware first.  I didn't do that the first time and it was a pain using a toothpick to try to get the paint out of the crevices.

ALSO, I love the poopy snowman.  hahahaha.  that's awesome.  It's like Hankey from South Park!!

DoK: your yule celebrations sound fun!  :)

Off to make our bread for throwing and some for eating.  I was able to find day old bagels at our local shop for 80cents yesterday so we'll be using those for our ornaments for the tree!  I was psyched to find such a bargain!  I was about to make them myself...since it's like bake-a-thon week now!! haha.

big hugs to everybody!!!

#147 of 205 Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Lioness, I hope your DH's eyes feel better soon. That sounds SO owie greensad.gif But boy howdy your dinner sounds delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostThe boxes are wrapped but I will try to remember to snap a pic after they are opened.

Maia: Can you share the garlic lemonade recipe?  and...awesome on the basket sale/ no wrapping.

I can't remember about these boxes...what are you making, again? The comments all sound fascinating but I can't for the life of me remember what you said you are making redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostMy goodness, I didn't think I was gone for too long but I had a lot to catch up on! I've noticed that I'm not getting updates emailed to me like I should since I'm subscribed to this post. I get two or three every two or three days, but the post is updated way more often than that! (I choose to get an immediate update since I don't get many emails so it beefs up my inbox in a positive way lol.gif) This happen to anyone else? Maybe I should check my spam box??

I'm going to wrap each gift as soon as I get it! I love to watch the pile grow under the tree.

Maia-I'd love that lemonade recipe!

How did your family take it when you told them you were Pagan? How'd you bring it up? I'm going back and forth between being fully out of the broomcloset and taking refuge around extended family. 

Yes, that happens to me a lot! About the notifications, I mean.

If I wrapped each gift when bought, I know I would be just as surprised as DS when he opened them, because I'd totally forget what I bought as soon as I wrapped it hide.gif

GARLIC LEMONADE:

This is Aviva Jill Romm's thing from one of her books. You boil water and fill a quart jar with it. Press out several cloves of garlic and put in the water. Let sit for a half hour, then add the juice of a lemon and whatever sweetener (honey's best) to taste.
It's bloody awful unless you're sick, then it tastes fantastic. I sip it warm, like tea.

I also play with it, adding more or less garlic/lemon/honey depending on how I like it. You can Google it and find the recipe easy.

My mom, when I outed as Pagan, thought I joined a cult. I'd copied out the first couple pages from Buckland's blue book and had her read them. I had never spoken to another Pagan, hadn't met any, had never really spoken the word aloud, and she says "I dunno, honey, I think it sounds like some kind of cult". I said "Mom. As I understand it, a cult is defined by a whole bunch of people following a charismatic leader. I must be a cult of one, then" lol.gif

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just shut up and let things unfold as the Universe unfolds them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostWe're going to go to the flower shop in town and ask if they have any extra sprigs we can have for free.

They often have stuff left on the ground anywhere they sell Christmas trees. I just go and look around and pick up the "trash" laying around winky.gif I thought Roo's birthday was, already? Nom nom gingerbread men yummy.gif

I wonder what gingerbready things I can have that don't include starch? Dang. I love gingerbread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostALSO, I love the poopy snowman.  hahahaha.  that's awesome.  It's like Hankey from South Park!!

Those were my thoughts exactly lol.gif

We're having our Solstice meal tonight, because we leave early Friday morning for mom's and I don't want leftovers before the trip (it's 8 hours driving). We're having beef stew in the crock pot. It's hard making a stewish thing without potatoes or carrots! And it's not pretty, either, because there's no yellow or orange veggies. I have cut up beef cubes, turnips, mushrooms, spinach (which wilted and looks bloody awful), and cauliflower. It tastes good, though! I set the table with a festive cloth and we'll use the crystal goblets and light all four Advent candles in the Yule log. Yay! Though I have to say...I hate Winter Solstice because it means it's the last of the dark half of the year. I LOVE the dark half.

#148 of 205 Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 PM

We're doing Solstice and Hanukkah, as DH is half Jewish. All that means is we're exchanging gifts and I'm making the potato pancakes I had talked about earlier...the kind without flour:) Yum yum yum. Serve them hot with applesauce!  I feel slightly wrong as I'm cooking them in olive oil marked as being from Palestine, not Israel, but whateverrolleyes.gif It's not like we're Zionists!

I am done teaching, finally. I was done teaching at one school for a week and half already, so this last bit just dragged on...but I'm all done now. but I have an awesome opportunity coming my way! There is a position at my school, in my dept, at the Assistant Professor level. I am eminently qualified (no PhD necessary), so I'm going for it. if I don't get it, it may be the sign I need to move on from there, but I'd be stupid not to try! And I'm teaching a class next semester at my boss' alma mater, so when I told her, she muttered something about how great a school it was, and I could feel the wheels turning in her head, even over the phone.

So that's it! Hapy Solstice everyone! For those who are on the card list, I just sent them yesterday, so I'm sorry if they are late.

Come ponder with me about food!
#149 of 205 Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM

Happy Solstice! ;-)

my cards went out today... sorry to be late.

Valérie   
#150 of 205 Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Beneath the tree of light and life,
a blessing at this season of Jul!
To all that sit at my hearth,
today we are brothers, we are family,
and I drink to your health!
Today is a day to offer hospitality
to all that cross my threshold
in the name of the season.

HAPPY YULE!

We had a great day yesterday, the kiddos loved their presents, and DH got me all sorts of yumminess!  A bottle of wine called Serenity and a mixed drink called Harmonie.  LOL  Also some yummy skin care stuff and A MASSAGE GIFT CERTIFICATE!  The whole idea was to have serenity and harmony.  :)  He has already learned a big chunk of Swedish (he wanted swedish language tapes) but the surprise for him were little Thor, Sif, and Frost Giant action figures (the kiddos complained that the Sif doll has black hair lol).  Silly, I know, but still a religious type reminder that can be kept at work with no questions asked.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, and a blessed new year!

(and my yule cards go out tomorrow so you're all ahead of me.... mea culpa, but they're filled with love! promise!)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page