December Pagan Families - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 205 Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Decided to be proactive and start this early.  giggle. Hey, it's only a half day early!

Haven't started decorating yet.  Just cleaned living room but need to straighten out the built in book case and take out the homeschool supplies before I put the Christmas tree up in front of it!  My living/dining room is so tiny, the tree makes things super cramped.

Roo will be starting music lessons next week.  He'll be taking piano and guitar.  The only teacher (that I liked) who is available doesn't do voice lessons but she does sing.  So I'm hoping she can give a few pointers during the piano lessons.  smile.gif

We are learning about Russia right now (part of the 3rd grade curriculum for my town.)  Doing all the boring academics, too.  Going to start using the microscope tomorrow.

Ok, gotta run.  

Wishing everyone a great December!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 205 Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been doing a lot of deep cleaning and organizing.... partly so I'll be ready for a swarm of soup and solstice guests. I generally wait and do the evergreens closer to the party so they are fresh. I might do a few outside though in the next few days... something in the pretty pots besides the dying mums or the "too subtle for me" kale.
#3 of 205 Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could do real evergreens but we are allergic.  I can do holly though. 

I love soup in autumn/winter.  Especially squash soup.  Mmmm.

#4 of 205 Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Just popping in to sub:)

Happy December all:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#5 of 205 Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM

I. Am. Not. Ready. For. December. Yet.

Please try again later...

lol!

Valérie   
#6 of 205 Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Yay! Subbing!  Welcome December (sorry, Valerie, I totally can understand not being ready...)BUT...

This morning the sunshine was bursting in to my bedroom - it felt like it was beckoning me to hop out of bed and (for once) be excited for December.  

I'm historically not a December person but this year I am so very excited to celebrate in ways that mean something to me.  Thank you, ladies, for helping me on this journey!  *corn-dog hugs*  I do mean it, though, I'm almost done with Curott's Book of Shadows and it's just rocking my world.  

What is the Yule Card Exchange?  It sounds fun!

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#7 of 205 Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

By popular request

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

What is the Yule Card Exchange?  It sounds fun!

And thanks (thank you goddess for awesome google fu!) to my wicked awesome MDC searching skills this is what I came up with from last year's thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Good Afternoon Dear Ladies!
I am inviting you to participate in a Solstice Card Exchange! If you haven't participated before, here is what you do-
If interested send me a PM with your name (kids names if you want to), and home address. I will then compile the list and send you a pm with all of the addresses. You then make your cards and mail them.

The cards can be homemade, kidmade or store bought- it is up to you.

This is the 4th year of the pagan mama card exchange.

Please send your cards by the Solstice/Yule.

(We aren't able to talk about this much on this thread, so any questions please PM me)

Yule is Dec 22nd this year according to Google & I'll volunteer as Organizer this year - so if you're interested in participating PM me with your deets (as noted above). 

In the interest of time - how about those interesting PM'ing me by 12/05/2011 (MONDAY) and then I can send out the master list by WEDNESDAY 12/07/2011 to give everyone 2 weeks to get their cards out and such.

I did see in past years (2007-2009ish) there was also a yule ornament exchange too (along with the cards) anyone interested in reviving that tradition?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#8 of 205 Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 AM

SQUEEEEE!!!!!!!!!  I'm so totally in for a card/ornament exchange!  In the past, the ornament has been something that could, more or less, fit into a card... paper snowflakes, flat clay "cookies" pressed with flower seeds to plant in the spring, beaded suncatchers, glitter and glue masterpieces of sunny glory by kiddos, and so on.  Nothing too intimidating or expensive to make or send.  I treasure the yule ornaments I've been gifted over the years and in fact I hang them over the kitchen table each year... I just last night pulled out the box of Yule stuff and will be hanging those ornaments today!

I'm really excited about the holiday season this year... it seems like the past year has been so roller coaster-ish and I'm ready to move to a different ride.  Perhaps the merry go round?  It still goes up and down, but in a more controlled manner, and you can wave to people as you go and the music is fun and there's always a chance you'll get the brass ring and win a prize.  And given the round and round nature of the ride, you have chance after chance after chance!  LOL  Anyway, last Dec is when I got pregnant with Tiel and started the crazy ride and this Dec I'm telling myself it's time to get off the roller coaster.  Wish me luck!

While looking for the holiday ornaments I found a box of odds and ends from my own childhood/young adulthood.  One item was a jewelry box filled with the sort of shiny bric a brac some young girls love (well, I loved them anyway)... little pins shaped like snowflakes covered in "diamonds", a bracelet with my name carved into the silver, mickey mouse barettes and a heart ring, stuff like that.  Mixed into the batch were some nicer items, things gifted to me by older female relatives.  One item, a cameo ring (no idea if it's a "real" cameo or a reproduction) I remember playing with when I was like 6 or so.  It never really spoke to me but for some reason I put it on last night and I could hardly bring myself to take it off.  It's not at all the sort of thing I'd normally wear, but it's like it was meant for my hand.  It's huge, only fits on the index finger of my right hand, and again really isn't something I'd have gone looking for.... but I'm going to wear it!  It fits perfectly and I dunno... it's just so odd that I found it when I did and that it feels sooooooo right to wear it right now.

We're going to go get our tree on the 10th... the local green cemetary lets people come in each year and harvest certain trees (invasive pine and spruce trees).  This year they'll have a team of Belgian draft horses to help pull the trees up the hill to the arking area and it should be so much fun!  And then that night we're hosting a winter spiral.  I don;t know if anyone will come, but I think it'll be fun and meaningful for the kids.  I want to have little gifts for any child who comes, and I'm thinking I'll use felt scraps to make little tiny "pocket totoros".  :)  Any left over ones can be tucked into the tree.  Especially since this year I KNOW Torin will trash the tree at least once so I'm only going to use ornaments that are more or less apocalypse proof... felt, wood, pressed paper, etc.  Nothing fragile, or breakable, or bendable, or priceless.  This is NOT the year for blown glass ornaments from my greatgrandmother or anything like that.  LOL 

Speaking of ornaments... If you take all your junk mail, rip it up, throw the bits into a blender full of water and let it sit overnight then blend it all in the morning.... dump the slush out onto a window screen (I stick cookie cutters on the screen and fill the cookie cutters with the paper pulp), squeeze out the extra water and let the whole thing dry.... you'll have fun and funky pressed paper ornaments.  Often I'll add some cranberry to the blender to get a cool color, or shred some citrus zest into the molds before adding the pulp.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 205 Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

I. Am. Not. Ready. For. December. Yet.

Please try again later...

lol!

ROTFLMAO.gif
#10 of 205 Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Yule is Dec 22nd this year according to Google & I'll volunteer as Organizer this year - so if you're interested in participating PM me with your deets (as noted above). 

That's my son's birthday.  love.gif

#11 of 205 Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi Pagan Mamas:

Just got the new issue of "Kiwi" and there's a really well done article on a family celebrating Yule/Winter Solstice.  It's basic, but nicely done.  Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up.  http://www.kiwimagonline.com/2011/11/decemberjanuary-2012/   They don't have the article online, but if you can't find it in your area, and want it...let me know.  I can try and scan it in.

Peace.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#12 of 205 Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 AM

Even though I'm not "ready" for December, I'm very glad my car is ready for snow cause I woke up to a white blanket this morning and have to drive into the city this morning.

DH found the Advent calendar, first door have been opened and first decoration have been hung. Kids are happy!

I feel like I've fell off the big time wheel and I'm not in sync with the seasons anymore... I will try to use the inward energy leading to Solstice to meditate and get back on with living in rhythm - I need to go back to listening to Mother Earth's heartbeat and steady breathing to sooth me and pace my own breathing.

Valérie   
#13 of 205 Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 AM

Maia-You asked on last month's thread what my birthday was...well, just to add something interesting, my birthday is the 14th. winky.gif And I did not know M had a form of leukemia, yipes! Glad to hear that he is in remission and you were healthy while you visited! 

Clay-If the ring feels right, wear it! Thanks for the tip on the junk mail ornaments! I think DD, DS1 and I will do that, goodness knows we get enough junk mail...Do you think a food processor will get it ripped up enough? DH knocked the blender off the counter and shattered the glass so that's not an option. We generally make ornaments for the grandparents from the kiddos and this year is extra tight budget wise so using stuff I get for free and recycle anyway? All about that!

What are pocket totoros? 

Ok...so I had this really strange dream a couple nights ago that's still bothering me. DH just thought I was weird and said sorry I had a bad dream. I dreamed that DS2 (who is 10 months) was sitting on my lap. He didn't have any hair and he had a bad case of what my dream self called cradle cap but he had scales on his head reptile style. They were flesh colored with a green dot int he middle. I was picking these scales off one at a time, hoping I wasn't hurting him, when he turned around and smiled at me. He had red eyes, fangs and a forked tongue. End dream. I can't think about this without getting serious heebie geebies, my scalp prickling and feeling like I need to scratch a layer of scales off myself. I have no idea what to think about this, but dreams don't generally stick with me unless they have a meaning. Gah, its really creeping me out...

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#14 of 205 Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Clay- I treasure my solstice/yule cards as well. I hear you on the carousel. All my weird hormone crap, is making me really examine myself, and really get focused on the internal stuff that I have long kept locked inside. My therapist mentioned that while I have pretty good self esteem, I am not very self confident. Your carousel image is really helpful! Thank you for sharing it!

Maia- I know at one point you said you were anxious, not sure if you still are, but when I was going through a bad patch, my blood pressure was all wonky. My dr was willing to watch and see, since it wasn't typical for me. When my hubby was having some blood pressure concerns, his dr had him track for about 3-6 months before he got concerned. *hugs*

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#15 of 205 Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

Ok...so I had this really strange dream a couple nights ago that's still bothering me. DH just thought I was weird and said sorry I had a bad dream. I dreamed that DS2 (who is 10 months) was sitting on my lap. He didn't have any hair and he had a bad case of what my dream self called cradle cap but he had scales on his head reptile style. They were flesh colored with a green dot int he middle. I was picking these scales off one at a time, hoping I wasn't hurting him, when he turned around and smiled at me. He had red eyes, fangs and a forked tongue. End dream. I can't think about this without getting serious heebie geebies, my scalp prickling and feeling like I need to scratch a layer of scales off myself. I have no idea what to think about this, but dreams don't generally stick with me unless they have a meaning. Gah, its really creeping me out...

Let me just say I am not a dream expert (CALLING AUBERGINE!!!) but just a couple of questions - did you feel not safe with your DS2 or did his appearance freak you out?  If you're not a snake or reptile person I can completely understand the heebie geebies, but think about his presence and did that in the dream make you feel uncomfortable?

I am wondering if your DS2 is a protector of sorts like a dragon? That's the first impression I get when I read your description and in the dream you are seeing his true spirit.  Are you feeling stressed, threatened? My other thought is he is a snake spirit, full of wisdom & knowledge.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#16 of 205 Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Let me just say I am not a dream expert (CALLING AUBERGINE!!!) but just a couple of questions - did you feel not safe with your DS2 or did his appearance freak you out?  If you're not a snake or reptile person I can completely understand the heebie geebies, but think about his presence and did that in the dream make you feel uncomfortable?

I am wondering if your DS2 is a protector of sorts like a dragon? That's the first impression I get when I read your description and in the dream you are seeing his true spirit.  Are you feeling stressed, threatened? My other thought is he is a snake spirit, full of wisdom & knowledge.

In the dream, no I did not feel uncomfortable by his appearance at all. He just was my baby. I don't really have anything against snakes or reptiles, in fact according to Native American power animal cards, one of my animal protectors is a lizard. I think the heebie jeebies is more from the pure and simple fact that I was picking scales off of his head. I just keep having to check for scales all over my head and his head like we are randomly going to lose our hair and sprout scales!! 

I am stressed, and as much as I want to say its just the time of year and holiday craziness, its not. My dad has had two major surgeries that left him practically helpless for awhile and I was driving him to drs appts, physical therapy and caring for him for about four months so my mom could work. DH took a new job that we thought was a lateral move money wise but didnt work out that way. In the long run its a better job to grow and have career advancement, but right now...its not all that great. I have 3 kids 5 and under, my littlest two are only 14 months apart. DD is having trouble in kindergarten. I could go on, but you get the point. shy.gif

Thank you for the insight. I will definately look more into dragon and snake spirits! 

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#17 of 205 Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM

3xMama- ((hugs))

making paper- I'm sure just about anything would be fine... the idea is to turn the already "paper paper" back into pulp so you could probably even just soak it for a few days till it fell apart on it's own, or put it through a paper shredder and then let it soak overnight so you'd be making a final product that had individual lines and threads of color instead of taking things back to the pulp and producing a more "uniform" final product. (something to keep in mind actually... if you add too much newspaper type material to your mix the final product will be a sort of sludge grey).  When I was a kid, my dad would take me around to the various coin op laundries and we'd gather the lint from the dryer traps and we'd mix that into the paper pulp, and I remember watching an old school Sesame Street where they made paper out of old blue jean fibers.  :)  Really making paper is a wonderful project to do with kids because it's messy, simple, messy, impossible to do wrong, messy, the final product is sturdy and fun, and it's, oh yes, messy.  LOL  While it helps to have all the "right" tools, I've found the window screen method works fine, and I've even done it using towels (the paper will be textured like the fabric)... the idea is to make fibrous pulp, dump said pulp out onto a flat surface, remove excess water, and enjoy.  The tools make that easier, but it's so much fun to use paper pulp instead of something like plaster of paris and make casts of stuff.  And it's cheaper too since junk mail companies ship the supplies straight to your door for free!  ;)

weather- it started snowing this afternoon, not sure if it'll stick.

Maia- how are you doing?

DoK- you too... did you go back to the doctor?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#18 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Umsami - I've been looking for a good parenting/family mag since Wonder Time went away.  I have likedf the couple of issues of Kiwi that I've seen.  Do you subscribe?  Is it worth the cost?

I am so ready for December!  This next year simply can't go fast enough for me.  I'm really looking forward to Yule this year too, I think it's going to be a really good one.

The card/ornament exchange sounds fun!  I'll PM my details later today.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#19 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Hi all, I'm not sure why I haven't posted here yet.

I'm in for the card/ornament idea...My job in the city ends this week so I'll have a little more time to be crafty. Not to worry---I have work next semester:)

have any of you ever used amazonite? DH found some at our local shop, but didn't buy any because he didn't want to wear a strand. He found some later in his rough gems collection here at home. It's very calming for him, and it seems to be good for taking financial chances and such. I'd be curious to hear experiences with it.

Come ponder with me about food!
#20 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

Umsami - I've been looking for a good parenting/family mag since Wonder Time went away.  I have likedf the couple of issues of Kiwi that I've seen.  Do you subscribe?  Is it worth the cost?

I am so ready for December!  This next year simply can't go fast enough for me.  I'm really looking forward to Yule this year too, I think it's going to be a really good one.

The card/ornament exchange sounds fun!  I'll PM my details later today.

FeralFox--I got a good deal on Kiwi...I think from Mamapedia or Groupon.  I want to say $5.00 for a one year subscription, $10.00 for a two year subscription??  For that, it's worth it--although I'm not sure I'd pay full price.  There's not a lot of new info in the magazine--but it's still nice to read articles that are more organic, whole-living oriented. :)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#21 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 11:31 AM

heya!

i am reading but not posting much. real tiired again. had a bout of stomach flu that is harder to recover from bc of the pregnancy. i am 10 weeks aready! 

DH went out and got a real tree this year! the last 5 years we had a short fake tree, so the kids love this. all set up and decorated already. so excited. i even got most the shopping done. 

i wont be participating in the card thing this year. i dont feel up to it. love all you ladies anyway though!!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#22 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM

VERY excited for Yule Card/Ornament exchange!!! Weeeee!!! joy.gif

Clay: I like the carousel analogy.  awesome.

3x: Wild dream.  Love the interpretations on it.  

Today has been long and family filled.  Which is great but emotionally depleting.  My lunch was literally 100% sugar and carbs so I arrived back at my house as a MONSTER due to the blood sugar spike.  Does anyone else get this way?  oyyyyyy!!!

Also, from last month's discussion on latkes  - anyone care to share their tried and true recipe?  (especially if it's simple)

Speaking of gems/stones/crystals, I'd like to give something that helps bring about clear intentions- anyone have any luck with anything?  I looked up amazonite and it seems like it might also be something that I could use.  It's so incredibly beautiful, too!  

I have to go locomote on dinner...black bean burritos tonight!  ymmmmm!!!  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#23 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostI'm almost done with Curott's Book of Shadows and it's just rocking my world. 

YAY! I'm so glad you like it. Witch Crafting is really cool, too thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostYule is Dec 22nd this year according to Google & I'll volunteer as Organizer this year - so if you're interested in participating PM me with your deets (as noted above). 

In the interest of time - how about those interesting PM'ing me by 12/05/2011 (MONDAY) and then I can send out the master list by WEDNESDAY 12/07/2011 to give everyone 2 weeks to get their cards out and such.

I did see in past years (2007-2009ish) there was also a yule ornament exchange too (along with the cards) anyone interested in reviving that tradition?

Yay! Thank you for taking that up! I was just wondering about that. I don't have what it takes to organize...too much on my plate. But I want to participate. I can't guarantee ornaments or anything included except cards, as I...like I said, too much on my plate already. But I'm in for the cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostOne item, a cameo ring (no idea if it's a "real" cameo or a reproduction) I remember playing with when I was like 6 or so.  It never really spoke to me but for some reason I put it on last night and I could hardly bring myself to take it off.  It's not at all the sort of thing I'd normally wear, but it's like it was meant for my hand.  It's huge, only fits on the index finger of my right hand, and again really isn't something I'd have gone looking for.... but I'm going to wear it!  It fits perfectly and I dunno... it's just so odd that I found it when I did and that it feels sooooooo right to wear it right now.

I love love love cameos. I have a fake one on a green background, on a black velvet ribbon, from my goth days. Sometimes I still wear it. It's uber cool. My mom loved cameos, too, but real ones. I actually was at the cameo factory in Italy and got to watch them make those things. Tons of people sitting around with giant magnifiers, making them by hand. No wonder they're so much money. But I love them. Fake or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostThat's my son's birthday.  love.gif

Happy pre-birthday to Roo! He'll be 9, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostMaia-You asked on last month's thread what my birthday was...well, just to add something interesting, my birthday is the 14th. winky.gif And I did not know M had a form of leukemia, yipes! Glad to hear that he is in remission and you were healthy while you visited! 

What are pocket totoros?

M's birthday is the 13th, and my mom's is the 12th. Lots of December birthdays!

Yes, M has CML...when he was diagnosed, the oncologist told him "If you had to pick a cancer, this would be the one to pick" because it's the easiest to manage, and the longest lifespan, and stuff like that. It goes into remission easily compared to other cancers.

I am REALLY grateful for remission. I love him utterly and would just crumble if anything were to happen to him. Especially before we get to move up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostMaia- I know at one point you said you were anxious, not sure if you still are, but when I was going through a bad patch, my blood pressure was all wonky. My dr was willing to watch and see, since it wasn't typical for me. When my hubby was having some blood pressure concerns, his dr had him track for about 3-6 months before he got concerned. *hugs*

Oh, wow. Interesting. Turns out, though-- the day the pharmacy confirmed what I pretty much knew, I just broke down and cried. I called my mom, because I'd forgotten that I have another side of the family to take after-- and I do, I take after my dad's mom. I look just like her, have her tendency to fatness, her eclectic personality, everything. She died of congestive heart failure, probably related to overweight (5'2" and over 200lb), and yes, she had high blood pressure. Oh, hope I have my mom's side!!! I hope this is temporary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostI am stressed, and as much as I want to say its just the time of year and holiday craziness, its not. My dad has had two major surgeries that left him practically helpless for awhile and I was driving him to drs appts, physical therapy and caring for him for about four months so my mom could work. DH took a new job that we thought was a lateral move money wise but didnt work out that way. In the long run its a better job to grow and have career advancement, but right now...its not all that great. I have 3 kids 5 and under, my littlest two are only 14 months apart. DD is having trouble in kindergarten. I could go on, but you get the point. shy.gif

Yikes, and I thought I was stressed. I don't know why mine is...I have M and I have ds and both of them have behavioral issues (M's alcoholism and ds's probable bipolar and ADHD and really bad school problems, oh, and M's leukemia, though that's not an issue ATM). I get overwhelmed really easily, especially in crowds/public; I can only handle outings, even visits with friends, for about 2-3 hours before I have to come home and be quiet... *shrug*...I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- how are you doing?

I dunno. I'm stressed about it, but my appt. isn't till Wednesday, so there really is very little I can do till then besides try to form new habits. Ye Gods, I hate exercise. But I better bloody well learn to like it, eh?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#24 of 205 Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Also, from last month's discussion on latkes  - anyone care to share their tried and true recipe?  (especially if it's simple)

Speaking of gems/stones/crystals, I'd like to give something that helps bring about clear intentions- anyone have any luck with anything?  I looked up amazonite and it seems like it might also be something that I could use.  It's so incredibly beautiful, too!  

My GMIL's recipe aren't true latkes because there's no breading in them, just potatoes and eggs. But they're dang tasty. You boil the potatoes, put them through a ricer, mix them with the egg yolks, and then fold in peaked egg whites. Salt and pepper to taste, and fry them in oil. I think the ratio is 2 potatoes to one egg. Yukon Golds work best.

DH reckoned the amazonite this way: you know the Fidelity commercials, where the green line points you toward a clear path toward financial success? That's what it feels like to him. We went to a pottery studio (near M, by the way, Maia!) and he was actually able to just openly talk wth a few of the artists there. Usually, I have to prompt him to do it, and it feels like I'm pulling teeth, but this time, no problem!

Come ponder with me about food!
#25 of 205 Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Quick pop in to say - I've gotten a couple of PMs from folks and I think I have a list from last year with names/addys.  I'll post on Monday who I have and to confirm interest

We got our tree this weekend and now in "full get decorating" mode!

#26 of 205 Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Popping in to say.  There was a Holiday Stroll thingy in town this afternoon.  It was nice (for awhile, until Roo started getting grumpy.)  His favorite part was running into a friend of his from his former classroom.  Plus, he liked the carolers that were dressed up (posted a pic of it on fb.)

#27 of 205 Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Speaking of ornaments... If you take all your junk mail, rip it up, throw the bits into a blender full of water and let it sit overnight then blend it all in the morning.... dump the slush out onto a window screen (I stick cookie cutters on the screen and fill the cookie cutters with the paper pulp), squeeze out the extra water and let the whole thing dry.... you'll have fun and funky pressed paper ornaments.  Often I'll add some cranberry to the blender to get a cool color, or shred some citrus zest into the molds before adding the pulp.

Oh, that sounds so cool and simple! We'll have to try that this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

Hi Pagan Mamas:

Just got the new issue of "Kiwi" and there's a really well done article on a family celebrating Yule/Winter Solstice.  It's basic, but nicely done.  Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up.  http://www.kiwimagonline.com/2011/11/decemberjanuary-2012/   They don't have the article online, but if you can't find it in your area, and want it...let me know.  I can try and scan it in.

Peace.

I'm gonna look out for this. I know they have it sometimes, but I don't read it normally, so I don't remember where.

We woke up this morning to find that someone smashed the window to one of our cars to steal the radio to our car and to hear the news confirm last night that yes, someone got shot near our home again. I am so ready to move: just not sure where to go.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#28 of 205 Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
YAY! I'm so glad you like it. Witch Crafting is really cool, too thumb.gif

Maia, I actually just picked up Witch Crafting for when I finish this one.  I hope your doc appt goes well and that the doc has suggestions for you that are realistic.  I also hate exercising in organized areas.  haha, kwim?  in a gym, in a class, with a tape.  I just can't do it...but I love walking and hiking.  that doesn't get old for me.    

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

My GMIL's recipe aren't true latkes because there's no breading in them, just potatoes and eggs. But they're dang tasty. You boil the potatoes, put them through a ricer, mix them with the egg yolks, and then fold in peaked egg whites. Salt and pepper to taste, and fry them in oil. I think the ratio is 2 potatoes to one egg. Yukon Golds work best.

DH reckoned the amazonite this way: you know the Fidelity commercials, where the green line points you toward a clear path toward financial success? That's what it feels like to him. We went to a pottery studio (near M, by the way, Maia!) and he was actually able to just openly talk wth a few of the artists there. Usually, I have to prompt him to do it, and it feels like I'm pulling teeth, but this time, no problem!

I seriously have to have a snack every time I read this thread.  Thank you for the recipe, witchy!  It sounds delicious!  I will definitely try this one.  ymmmm...

...and very, very cool about the amazonite.  I like it.  I read something about it being helpful with clear communication.  My BIL has had some serious issues with his wife and their communication.  His wife forbids him to have much communication with DH's family so I thought giving him something that might help empower him, his communication and remind him that we're with him without being blatantly from us (like a picture or something) might be useful for him...thanks for your insight. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

We woke up this morning to find that someone smashed the window to one of our cars to steal the radio to our car and to hear the news confirm last night that yes, someone got shot near our home again. I am so ready to move: just not sure where to go.

oh, revolting!  that sucks.  are you looking to get out of the chicago area completely or just looking for a different neighborhood there?  

I am decorating like molasses this year.  Little by little.  Got the berry wreath out, hung some fun ornaments in the kitchen windows, starting to create our winter welcome sign.  This Saturday is tree day and that's when I will go all in and get everything out!  Weee! 

#29 of 205 Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostWe woke up this morning to find that someone smashed the window to one of our cars to steal the radio to our car and to hear the news confirm last night that yes, someone got shot near our home again. I am so ready to move: just not sure where to go.

Ye Gods, lady, how awful hug2.gif I remember in one neighborhood, someone went through and broke in all the cars. Mine had nothing worth taking, I guess lol.gif The only way I could tell that someone'd been in is that the glasses thingie that pulls down from the ceiling was open, and so was the change container. The neighbor had his laptop stolen-- but the good news is, not only did he get it back, but he got it back because the idiot that stole it...I forgot what exactly he did, but he left some "fingerprint" in the software, his name/address/something, that allowed the police to track him down eyesroll.gif ROFL, um, theft, you're doing it wrong! ROTFLMAO.gif I was glad he got it back. I hope yours turns out as well.

Hey, you could always move to a sweet little house in Asheville, NC winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia, I actually just picked up Witch Crafting for when I finish this one.  I hope your doc appt goes well and that the doc has suggestions for you that are realistic.  I also hate exercising in organized areas.  haha, kwim?  in a gym, in a class, with a tape.  I just can't do it...but I love walking and hiking.  that doesn't get old for me.    

Thank you. I do, too. I love a treadmill, actually, but I don't have a gym membership anymore. I like it because I work a LOT harder on it than I do outdoors. I like walking but I get srsly bored outdoors unless I change my environment every couple of days. I have lots of trouble getting motivated in my own house, like to a video or whatever. I don't like hiking hide.gif

Got two extra boybarians this afternoon to keep ds busy thumb.gif and they are brothers, and not too boisterous, so YAY.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#30 of 205 Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM

stopping  by, it is raining, again.

Hope all is well with you and yours! I have been busy crafting. Tis the season :)

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page