Living a Yoga way of life - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm not sure if it qualifies as chanting, but I do sometimes meditate on the syllable "om." I also still sometimes speak what some Christians call a prayer language -- or speaking in tongues.

Years ago, when I was still in the Baptist church and had never even attended a pentecostal church, I had been going through a period of praying and fasting and seeking God's direction about some issues in my life. And one night when I knelt by my bed to pray, I suddenly got this feeling that if I continued praying, the words that were about to come out of my mouth were going to be gibberish; I think I actually said a couple of syllables before I stopped myself. I decided that I just needed to go to sleep and I basically quenched this weird and unfamiliar feeling.

Several years later when I was in a pentecostal church, I started learning about speaking in tongues and I recalled this experience and realized that I had quenched the Spirit. Through prayer and active seeking, it came back to me, and it was a means of moving beyond my mind and just experiencing spiritual communion without having to think about it or analyze anything.

And that's what it still is to me -- even now, all these years later, when I no longer see God as a separate entity, but, rather, as the universal soul that is the source of everything and everybody...the soul that lives in each of us and everywhere (I got this idea from Deepak Chopra). I see now that, all those years ago, the Universe was trying to give me the gift of stillness and quietness, of being able to experience my being-ness and my connection to life and awareness. I'm so glad I finally accepted it!

I've also started doing toning from time to time -- something Deepak Chopra also talks about, where, throughout an entire exhalation, you simply release your emotions by letting them flow out of you on a tone, whatever tone you feel led to make. But I just do toning at times of the day when no one else is sleeping, which rules out my early morning meditation time. During this early morning time, I do sometimes pray in my prayer language, or meditate on "om" -- but I pretty much just do it in a whisper so as not to wake anyone.

That said, I realize that chanting is probably something completely different. I look forward to learning more about it from those of you who know about it!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love chanting :)  You could start with just a silent mantra, like Sat Hung to get used to the idea.  My favorite chant is the Gayatri Mantra (Ohm Bhur Bhuva Svaha...) Do you know it?  The version I learned is very sing-song.  Also, the ubiquitous Om Mani Padme Hum.  If you haven't heard them, I'm sure they're on youtube.  You could get some Krishna Das music-- kirtan is great for learning chants and intonation-- plus it's very moving.    If you don't already listen to yoga "pop stars" like Deval Pemal, maybe you could...then the chants and whatnot feel more familiar-- not so weird in the mouth, you know?

Mama to my crazy little circus boy ('09) and feisty little sunshine girl ('12). 

Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Hi everyone. I was looking for suggestions. I am finding that the only time I really can practice yoga is after the kids go to bed. I have been doing dvd's but I would really like to look into a book or whatever to remind me of familiar poses as opposed to the screen time. I think a silent visual cue would be less disruptive for me.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
Old 02-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri31 View Post

Hi everyone. I was looking for suggestions. I am finding that the only time I really can practice yoga is after the kids go to bed. I have been doing dvd's but I would really like to look into a book or whatever to remind me of familiar poses as opposed to the screen time. I think a silent visual cue would be less disruptive for me.

If you're going to be practicing at night, maybe some restorative poses would be nice for you...?  There's a site...I think it's actually called restorativeyogaposes and it has pretty good photos and descriptions on it.  It's a good way to get back to asana if you haven't been practicing for a while too-- you know, really remembering the poses and how they feel for your body rather than pushing yourself into through a routine or whatnot (not that you would-- I know it's just easy to do that inadvertently.)  Yin yoga also has a great online resource, and a wonderful before bedtime practice.  If you'd really rather find books instead of web stuff, I bet your interlibrary loan would be able to get you something.  hth

Mama to my crazy little circus boy ('09) and feisty little sunshine girl ('12). 

Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhugger View Post

If you're going to be practicing at night, maybe some restorative poses would be nice for you...?  There's a site...I think it's actually called restorativeyogaposes and it has pretty good photos and descriptions on it.  It's a good way to get back to asana if you haven't been practicing for a while too-- you know, really remembering the poses and how they feel for your body rather than pushing yourself into through a routine or whatnot (not that you would-- I know it's just easy to do that inadvertently.)  Yin yoga also has a great online resource, and a wonderful before bedtime practice.  If you'd really rather find books instead of web stuff, I bet your interlibrary loan would be able to get you something.  hth

I have never heard of yin yoga, and from what I just read, I think I am in love! I am so glad I asked because I live in a dying community that is quite superficial in what it makes available. B&N is the only book store left (the cool independent ones starved to death years ago).The library,is full of "for general consumption" surface interests, KWIM? I really appreciate the guidance, thanks so much. Internet links are great, I have searched for information like this for a while, but usually the stupid filters lead you to crap.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello, I try to live a very ayurvedic lifestyle. Upon waking up I splash water on my face and drink lemon juice. Sometimes I inhale salt water and other days I do an oil pull. I do yoga every morning for as long as I can (sometimes 15 mins sometimes 1.5 hours) depending on when my kids wake up and what they want to do. On the best mornings they play yogi with me and I do some simple ansans with them. I try to eat according to our doshas, however we are vegan so we do not eat ghee. After breakfast we chant to Krishna then go for a walk.

On the days I only get a brief yoga session in at morning I will try to make up for it if my kids are napping or otherwise occupied. However I don't meditate nearly as much as I would like to. If my kids go to sleep before I do I will usually meditate before bed.

be good family...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 AM

hi! i just wanted to chime in and say thanks for all the great suggestions. i 've wrote down a bunch of them & am finding them really helpful. yesterday, i tried the hatha easy floor excersizes 40 min (or so) session on youtube & really enjoyed it! this morning, i'm excited to experience some some Kundalini.  seriously, lots of energizing, fresh info here on this thread-- thanks mamas & keep it comin'! nod.gif

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamayogibear and SweetTooth! I'm very happy to see both of you here! mamayogibear, I love reading Deepak Chopra and I was very interested to see, when I googled "ayurvedic," that this seems to be something he promotes in his wellness center.

SweetTooth, I'm so happy you enjoyed the easy floor workout, and also that you're going to give Kundalini a try! Both Hatha and Kundalini are awesome in their own ways.

I'm afraid that I've slowed down somewhat since the weather change. A few weeks ago, I suffered through the worst cold I had since beginning Yoga last summer. And I feel much better now but I seem to be more in a mode of wanting to meditae, read, and think than of wanting to be physically active. For a while there, it seemed like everytime I had a little space, I wanted to do Yoga. After getting sick, I shifted to just wanting to lie down and rest every chance I got...and when I got bettter, I just started wanting to do things at a very relaxed pace.

I still do the Five Tibetan Rites most mornings (though I quit for nearly two weeks while sick) -- but now I only occationally do the full 21 of each, and most mornings I just do 7 or 11 of each, which just takes me 10 or 15 minutes instead of 30. Then I meditate...and I often spend the last 10 or so minutes of my meditation time in corpse pose. This morning, I did 7 each of the Rites, then did a few Kuindalini Kriyas before meditating.

I was wondering what everyone's views are regarding the "standard" advice that everyone needs to get at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as what you get by briskly walking, at least three times per week. I just haven't felt motivated to do much walking at all, and DH and DD1 have been getting out there more with our dog so that's not such an urgent need anymore.

Lately, I've been feeling like I'm doing okay if I do the Rites for 10-30 minutes each morning, meditate, and do whatever Hatha or Kundalini I feel like doing -- usually just for a few minutes at at time here and there instead of a full workout. I wonder if I should give myself a nudge to do more, or just emnbrace this as a time where I'm being drawn to rest and spend more time in contemplation.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 PM

I'm so happy to have found this thread! And actually... hi Mudhugger and Tri31 - I think you are both in my DDC! We are getting bigger, aren't we...

I'm just subbing because this thread is inspirational for me. I was very actively practicing yoga when I got pregnant, but working full time, mothering and wife-ing full time, and growing a new person has really cramped my daily schedule. Lately yoga has really been on the back burner.

So I'm inspired to read all these ideas about incorporating mindfulness into everyday life - especially mindful eating and whatnot. Pregnancy takes a toll on my eating habits because I realize I need to eat and then go on autopilot - I'm not appreciative enough of the sustanance my body is being provided.

On the question of 30 mins of exercise daily - I think those recommendations are part of a conventional medicine mindset that views each body/mind system individually, rather than holistically. Meaning, I think if you get up every morning, do gentle activity with yoga/stretching, and meditation, you are getting far more benefit for your whole body and person than if you went to the gym, flipped on Jerry Springer, and rode an elliptical for 30 minutes. That said, more vigorous activity is good for you as well, but it's good when it's what's right at the time too, not just an obligation. Doing yoga in the mornings and then one or two days a week deciding to hike in nature with your spouse, or take the kids on a bike ride to the park, is a better balance (imo) than thinking "oh, I have to get my 30 mins in - better get to the gym/on the stationary bike/into my hamster wheel" just for the purpose of raising your heart rate for a prescribed amount of time.

I know that, as far as "living yoga lifestyle" I've been working on/thinking more and more about karma yoga - I'm typcially a very snarky, sarcastic person and while that can be fun and not a problem, sometimes my humor can border on the negative - and I would be a more whole and mindful person by taming those kinds of negative mental habits. I also struggle with negative thought cycles... So I'd really like to work on that mental aspect of peace and harmony.

Thanks for letting me join in!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Welcome to everyone (MovnMama it is really cool to see another June mama) . I love this thread! This may be common knowledge to all you enlightened ladies, but I wanted to share anyway because I found my awareness of it, has led to more regular practice. For months, I have been incorporating balance into every area of my life. Especially in my parenting.Taoism is fast becoming central to daily life in our busy nest. I am more personally mindful, I find my mental energy benefits from hatha as much as my physical form. Most especially since I am pregnant. Here is what I read. 

Balancing the energy poles

Conserving energy in this physical body is another important aspect of health which has been ignored by most of the healing sciences. We have given so much importance to nutrition, but we have missed the real source of energy which is inherent. This energy is something like positive and negative electrical charges pulsating throughout. The correct balance of these plus and minus forms of energy creates good health. Whenever these positive and negative flows are suppressed, blocked, dissipated or poorly distributed, disease inevitably results. The different organs and systems of the body do not merely subsist on food and vitamins. The main source of energy in life is these plus/minus or positive/negative charges. Therefore, the science 'of physical and mental harmony is known as hatha yoga. The meaning of hatha yoga is very clear. The letters 'ha' and, 'tha' are tantric bija mantras, representing the positive and negative poles of energy. Hatha yoga means the union or co-ordination between the positive and negative forces in the physical body.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

MovnMama and tri31, I really love what you've both had to say about exercise.

I agree that it's so much healthier to view it as part of a much greater whole, and I also agree with learning to find a deeper balance between the two poles. As often as I remember, I try to do the Sweet Breath after The Five Tibetans and before meditating. This week, I've been spending more time in bed and just doing seven each of the Rites and ten or more minutes of meditation. I know this won't always be enough but I feel good about it for the moment.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM

I love this thread... what great information here! I love Yoga and have really missed it being a big part of my life. I used to take many classes a week and taught children's yoga. I don't do any of this right now. I want to bring yoga back into my life but I am really not interested in taking classes... so these ideas about some classes on You tube are great for me. I have worked with the 5 Tibetan Rites b4, tahnk you though for reminding me about them. I am all about balance and I want all of "this" to be part of my life in a organic and flowing manner. I don't want to have to force myself to a class because I paid for a run of them....

about the eating with reverence... I need to work on this. I have always been a eat to live type of gal... really eating with not much consciousness about it at all. I am heading into perimenopause (another great reason to bring Yoga back big time) and I am adding pounds that have never been here before, i need to be more aware of what I am putting into my body. Like I said though.... food has always been something that I did to just make it through the day and eating that way I make bad decisions... for my body and my "spirit".

Thanks for starting this thread.

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you're here, Kathleen! And I'm totally with you about not making it anything forced.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow, I'm grateful to have found this thread again!  I'm wondering if any of you here are going to any Yoga festivals this summer, or have before?

There's tons of festivals and events and especially family & kid-inclined events.  I really want to send my oldest daughter to Youth Camp this summer, she's just old enough to go, and I'd love to go to Women's camp since I've never been but my teachers/mentors have absolutely raved about it and since the last year has been so tough I think we all need it...

As for Ayurveda...I'm a bit into the guidelines there, but more about grooming/hygiene and similar activities than the food.  Almost all the teachers I knew who followed Ayurveda were also vegans, so I've seen it adapted in many different ways.  My family also eats mostly raw so a lot of the herbs and spices aren't really apart of our deal, unless we're sick...I guess I use it for treatment rather than preventative, but I try to do cold showers as often as possible. 

Karma yoga is also immensely important to me...I'd love to discuss that more...later. 

Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

We are considering going to a yoga festival in Ithaca. It would be our first time. Seems like a great way to be to spend time with the family. Now all I have to do is come up with the cash, for the tickets. I think it would be cool to take some classes, DH has been talking about them anyway this year.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Has anyone hear heard of or gone to Wanderlust? It's a yoga festival in VT, CO and CA over the summer. I wish I could go but hopefully some of you can!

be good family...

Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I'm still at my really slowed down pace and am finding it a lot easier to do little bits here and there instead of a full workout.The fact that the temperature's been getting up to 90 and we're currently without air conditioning is definitely part of it.

Of course, I'm sure that many of the practitioners in India deal wilth way hotter temps without ac. As for me, I have just a "little" energy in early morning, but by afternoon I'm just moving very slow and not feeling like doing much of anything. Nights are cool because we strip down to our undies and lie under a big industrial strength fan.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:12 PM

subbing!

I'm a yoga teacher in Texas.  Well, fledgeling teacher, I'm finishing my training currently, but I'm teaching a couple times a week already. 

I've practiced yoga for about 20 years, since I was a kid.  Not always consistently, there has been ebb and flow with life circumstances, babies, etc.  But I always came back, and I always thought about teaching.  I never pursued it til last summer when I finally jumped in. :-)

I study at a great studio that embraces the ancient spirituality of yoga, the 8 limbs, andd everything. Not just asana.  It's very holistic. :-)

I'm also pregnant with our 4th and final bub!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Wedome, Millie Ivy!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 PM

I dream of someday being a yoga instructor! Hopefully when I finish nursing school I can invest in teacher training:)

But for now I would like to share a few pics of my favorite asanas! (sorry if I spell the asanas wrong)VisvamitrasanaNoFoot.JPGVisvamitrasana

Dwi Pada Viparita DandasanaIV.JPG Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana

be good family...

Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! You're well on your way to being a yoga instructor since you're already quite the yogi!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 AM

About two weeks ago I started practicing postures again (we had a baby girl 6-19) it was so nice to feel that flow of energy again. Sadly I was hanging diapers about 12 days ago and I fell on my tailbone. There have been a few seasoned yoga practitioners that have posted to this thread. Should I just wait a few more weeks, or are there any positions that can help?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Tricia Valek! Congratulations on your baby girl!

I'm so sorry you got hurt and I hope someone here has some helpful ideas.

I've just started slowly getting back into Yoga myself and it does indeed feel good.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Nameste beautiful women... I'm a single young mother of two wonderful little girls and I'm new to yoga. I do not get much free time during my daily life to fully dive into yoga the way i want to. I saw this forum and it truly made me feel enlightened to know that one day I wil be in a better place. I'm headed to EvolveFest in Two days it's a beautifully peaceful yoga festival that surrounds you with positivity. I have faith that this experience with my girls by my side will help me find inner peace. I'm grateful you ladies posted this I've gotten a lot of good information for here. ~BlessedBe~.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Took a little while, but I'm back on the ball. Literally, I found a great balance ball/yoga video on Gaiam tv, I love!! I am also doing a walking workout on there, too. Weight wise I am in a good place for a new mama (for the fifth time). How are you Susan? I would love to start bouncing ideas/energy off each other. For those practicing kundalini yoga, I have a question. "Since I am postpartum, should I wait until my body is better conditioned"? My goal is to be working out 5 days a week right now. That is step one.    

Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 AM

How's everyone doing? I have not practiced very much in the last couple months and can really feel the need for it~

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Welcome Sativarain1 I am determined to do yoga when my LO's nap today. The laundry can sit on the " should have done" list for a change. biggrinbounce.gif

Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! I must have missed my notifications...I hadn't realized that there were any posts after my last one in May. Welcome Blessed2Be and congratulations on your new baby, tri31!

After that last post, I ended up dwindling down to being pretty inactive all summer. I think I was "helped" in becoming inactive by our AC giving out,and then I stayed pretty inactive until just a few weeks ago. I got a wakeup call when I went to the doctor and discovered that my weight is back up to 294 lbs. I am 5'10" tall -- not 7'10" tall -- so this puts my BMI in the morbidly obese category. Also, my blood pressure, which was really nice and normal all the way up into my early 40's, is now in the pre-hypertensive category.

I knew I just really needed to pick the ball back up. I had been occasionally meditating or doing some Kundalini Kriyas for a few minutes at a time, but no workouts. So I am now marching for about 30 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per week, and doing the 40 minute Hath Yoga Easy Ground Work workout 3 or 4 times per week. I usually do the marching during part of one my breaks between lessons, and the Hatha Yoga after finishing my last lesson for the day. I hope to eventually work my way up to doing the Kundalini workout two days a week and the Hatha Yoga two days.

I'm not sure if I'll ever work the 5 Tibetan Rites back into my schedule. Since they're supposed to be a daily thing, it's just hard to figure out how to carve out that time, especially now that I no longer feel like I can get up at 4 in the mornings. I'd thought I was managing fine with less sleep, but the tiredness just sort of crept up on me and then I went through a long phase of just wanting to lie down practically every chance I got. I think the Rites are so awesome, but I'm not willing to give up the variety of the other two workouts in order to make time for them.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subbing! BBL...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to add that I've really been processing what some others have said on this thread about cultivating a relationship with our food. It's really sunk in to me that I need to be more active in helping and supporting my dh with his gardening. He's been growing some food for a few years now, and we have also been composting and gradually putting life and health back into our soil, but the yield from dh's gardens has been really small. So small that I've sometimes secretly wished he'd quit sinking $$ into it, with things being so tight with us and all.

But I've watched the Edible City video on YouTube, and I've started to realize that success in organic gardening really is attainable -- it just takes a lot more love and effort than I've been putting into it. Just taking a little time to think about our loss of a yield this past summer, made me realize that we need some method of storing water whenever it rains and snows, because the main reason our garden died last summer was that we had a practically snow-free winter, and a dry summer, and simply couldn't afford to use huge amounts of city water to water our garden. Plus, of course, the city was asking people to be really sparing with water during the big drought.

Once I thought about the need for us to store water, I realized that we really needed to clean out the cistern in our backyard (it was there when we bought the house). Dh had been using it to store compost, because it had cracks in it and couldn't hold any water. But I looked up cistern repair and discovered that this wouldn't be so hard or expensive for us to do. So dh and I have gotten busy moving the compost from the cistern to a corner of our backyard that is right next to a vacant lot on one side, and an alley on the other.

I've also started taking time to focus my love on the basil and tomato plants that dh has started under a lamp in one of our closets. I've just been sitting in there and singing and talking to the plants, and the connection/communion with our food that you guys were talking about is really starting to become real to me. It's also made something else real to me -- an article I read online about Shakti and Shiva really being one, really being the same. I see Shiva as the "thinking" energy where ideas are born, and Shakti as the "doing" energy through which ideas become part of our tangible reality.

And I think I've spent much of my life loving the dreaming phase, but not seeing how to live out all my dreams -- but since Yoga is all about connection and bringing together mind, body, and spirit, it makes sense that I'm now starting to see that thinking and doing are one and the same. It helps me feel such a peace to know that my dreams won't just fall by the wayside if i don't "do" enough about them. This peace frees me up to just listen to my spirit, and I'm realizing that my spirit often does nudge me toward getting physically involved in living out my dreams. It's really not a matter of forcing myself to act, but rather of listening and responding to my own inner desires to act.

User Tag List