Living a Yoga way of life - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 122 Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Susan I love reading your posts biggrinbounce.gif I need to check back here more often. I have a real need to gather in this circle, I feel grounded by the "like meets like" energy here. Thanks for keeping the thread alive, this last year has been really taxing. Mothering 5 kids can be intense, lately resistance (negativity) has been oozing out of my interactions with others. Funny I just realized I've been depressed a few days ago, I'm suddenly aware of hidden habits that I am losing my power over (my computer use for one) . Well, I should get back to my zucchini. I will check back in more often.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#92 of 122 Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM

I am just posting to sub for when I have more time, but I really need to get into yoga. I know it's great for physical and mental health and I have a lot of range of motion issues due to many chronic conditions.

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#93 of 122 Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As often happens, I didn't get any notification about these two new posts and just now saw them. Welcome, thatgirlliknew, and I've sure missed your awesome posts, tri31, but I do realize how we can all get swamped by life sometimes! I hope you can both come back in and share more when you have a chance!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#94 of 122 Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM

Is it too late to join this thread.  I stumbled upon this a couple of weeks ago and started doing the five Tibetan rites in the mornings and meditating at night.  I attend hot yoga classes occasionally and love the feeling I get afterwards.  I am striving to live a more meaningful life in the present moment.  I am also trying to be more conscious about my food choices and finding what gives me the most energy and vitality.  Doing yoga has really helped my mind.  I have find I am softer spoken and much more pleasant to be around.

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

#95 of 122 Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM

It's been awhile since I posted but now that we're experiencing cooler mornings I've been trying to practice more. Love the release yoga seems to bring to my body. Looking forward to connecting to all of you :)

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#96 of 122 Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, VEforlife! No, it's never too late! I didn't even start yoga till a couple of years ago, and I'm 49 now! I hope to hear more from you, Sativarainl, and everyone. I've just been following my routine pretty steadily, and feeling great. I've lost at least 90 lbs since last November.

Tricia Valek likes this.

#97 of 122 Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 AM

Wow 90 lbs.  That is amazing.  I have been doing lots of Transcendental Meditation while I'm walking and pumping too.  I am really enjoying it.

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

#98 of 122 Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to share the link to a really good article I've been reading about the connection between yoga and chiropractic.

http://www.3ho.org/3ho-lifestyle/health-and-healing/yoga-and-chiropractic

It's so exciting to me to see the overarching oneness of different technologies -- such as the various forms of yoga, hula hooping, and chiropractic -- that all help us limber up our spines and get rid of blockages so that the pure Light of the Universal energy can flow freely through us, and ultimately flow freely between, and throughout us and everything and everybody. It's also exciting to be reminded that every cell of our bodies is just a microcosm of the Universal intelligence that keeps working to restore and bring everything into healthy balance, through which this energy can keep healing us and bringing us to higher and higher levels of thriving.

I'm reminded of the Indian saying that goes, “That the drop resides in the ocean, everyone knows; but that the ocean resides in the drop, very few know this.” Does anyone know who the author is?

I've just recently resumed doing the Five Tibetan Rites -- but only 7 of each, which takes me about 7 minutes each morning. It's kind of a wakeup routine for me; maybe at some point I'll go back to doing the full 21 of each, but that used to take me about 25 minutes, and I honestly don't feel like I can get up any earlier in the mornings or give up eating breakfast or making coffee before starting work at 6. And I just don't like to rush too much first thing in the morning.

Plus, I don't want to give up my 30 minutes of hula hooping later on the morning, or my yoga workout (hatha or kundalini) in the afternoons. It's all such a good fit for me right now.

I'm finding that I also feel drawn to do a lot of spinal flex repetitions at various times throughout the day. And I'm also striving to lengthen the time that I can keep dd2's lightweight hoop spinning. I still like using my heavy hoop for my morning workout, but if I can ever succeed in keeping one of the lightweight, cheap hoops going, this would be ideal for walking around and hooping at the park. I keep my expensive hoop in a corner of my office, and never take it apart because I don't want the springs to wear out, and never take it to the park because I don't want some kid to step on it and break it or something. It cost me almost $40.00 and I'd feel lost if something happened to it and it took me a while to set aside the money for another.

mamacatsbaby likes this.

#99 of 122 Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi Mommas,

I'm a kundalini yogi and sikh and am looking for an online group to keep in touch with and talk about life and those things.  

Thanks for being here!  I teach yoga and work for some non-profits with addiction and raising children within the yogic lifestyle, etc.  

Keeping a personal practice is so challenging with everything else that goes on but even a few minutes here and there makes such a difference for me- I love to do it and i really love to share when people ask me to.  I am going to start meditating with another Mom at my son's school- I'm excited to have that connection with her.  Lately I'm on an 'ego eradicator' kick, doing this each morning before I get out of bed and also 'kirtan kriya' which is a very clearing and healing meditation.  I'd love to hear more about the practices that you have in your life and teaching the children them as well.

#100 of 122 Old 11-22-2013, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome RasJi! I'm so glad you're here! I think I need to work more on ego eradication, too, because I'm finding that I'm a lot more upset than I thought I'd be about aging.

#101 of 122 Old 12-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Hi everyone.  I'm sorry I have missed out on this thread for so long.  There are so many gems here, thanks to you all for posting all you have so far!

I've been living the lifestyle, but not posting about it.  I'm a K-yoga teacher too, but I am not currently teaching any classes, I'm trying to organize my teaching schedule for the next year.  

I also feel that hooping is very yogic, as well as lots of other practices.  I love to combine dance with breathwork.  I've created a few virtual programs but what I really miss is the in-person yoga community and it's hard to have that in the town I live in.

I've been working on learning more chants and regularly chanting So Purkh.  (in a few cycles over the past few years)

I really like the 40 day Sadhana that was posted on Spirit Voyage, it's always been one of my favorite kriyas.  Unfortunately I won't be going to Winter Solstice this year.  

I have been doing maybe one cold shower a week.  I am usually reluctant to accept that it is wintertime!  I know I need to just get used to it, I love the way I feel when I take cold showers.  My diet hasn't been as good as I'd like.  I had some major issues with food allergies and just haven't enjoyed eating much in a few months.  But I'm going to fix that really, really soon.  Simplicity does it for me and I'm just going to splurge and order my favorite fruits rather than grocery shopping!

For me fruit is a major part of my yogic lifestyle, because it was during my teacher training that I was introduced to eating a produce-based diet and when I first really fell in love with fruit and fruit meals.  The early morning fruit+yoga+chanting+cold shower ritual is bliss and balance for me, if I will just remember to practice it!

I'm planning on buying some yogi music for my kids for Christmas and they have also asked for clothes to make them look like "yogi princesses".  

I haven't hooped in a few years and my youngest daughter(3) has never had her own hoop, so I am also planning to get hoops for us all soon. 

I plan on coming back to this thread more often!

~Sat Nam

#102 of 122 Old 12-12-2013, 01:41 PM

I want to sub… I have not been really good about my practice, but about 3 weeks ago I hurt myself so badly…I could not lift my left leg without a great deal of pain…too much pain. I have started to go to a chiro and am trying to get back on the mat. I love hooping but as with everything else, it has fallen to the side of my busy full life.

I need something else…I seem to be searching and I believe going back to the mat, may show me the way, it is just getting there.

I have also had a real interest in Kundalini Yoga and went to my first full class last week with my sister on her birthday. I loved it, but it pushed me in a way I never have before. In one pose I had a really hard time not blacking out…I feel that there is something so powerful there for me. The teacher felt that because of the pose I was having a hard time with, that she felt something is blocked in me, with my creativity and voice. I want more….is there a great place to find classes on the internet, because there are no Kundalini Classes close to me, they are also so expensive.

I love this time of year, if offers such awakenings and promise, but only if I jump on and do the practice.

I work at a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship and am really no longer able to find my spiritual practice there, now that I am a paid employee, things change. So I am looking …searching….

Thank you for being here!

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#103 of 122 Old 12-13-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

featherstory and litlwons, it's so good to hear from both of you! litlwons, I can't pay for classes myself, but a couple of years ago, I found an awesome introductory video to Kundalini yoga on YouTube. After all this time, I still find it challenging. Here's the link in case you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9C4HJIS6lU

mamacatsbaby likes this.

#104 of 122 Old 12-13-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I am also currently serving as a "guinea pig" to the husband of a good friend of mine, who recently completed Hatha yoga certification and needs more practice teaching before beginning to teach his own classes. We've been meeting one night a week, and it's been wonderful to practice yoga with another human being. He taught me to do sun salutations, and I've discovered that when I can find the time to do a series of 12 (six sets), my back feels so wonderfully open and I feel kind of giddy, too.

#105 of 122 Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Love that giddy feeling! 

litlwons what was the kriya you did?

There are lots of kriyas on youtube you can find.  Also on the website spirit voyage there's a series of videos corresponding to the upcoming Winter Solstice.  Sounds like it might help you to find the kriya you were doing before or one similar to it.  Did you feel any relation to what movement or pose in particular caused the difficulty?

mamacatsbaby likes this.
#106 of 122 Old 01-04-2014, 05:28 AM

Yay! So happy to have found this thread. 

I took my first yoga class in graduate school back in 2001. I still remember some of the sequences from that one class--the sun salutations, a guided visualization of energy moving through the chakras, the bliss of final savasana. I jumped in with both feet, then got distracted for a few years, did other things, came back to yoga, then moved away from it again... I struggle with the "practice" element of a yoga practice, even though the positive effects are profound and immediate when I make my way back to it.

Last night, my 8-year-old son and I went to the free Friday community class offered by a cute little new studio in town; they have a jar up front where people can contribute what they can, and all the money goes to a charity. I'm so grateful for this. My son and I had a wonderful time, and there were four other males in a class of about 12, so I was happy for him to have some real-life models. (Many of the other yoga classes I've taken have been all woman-identifying people.) We giggled, and encouraged each other, and used each other as support during tree pose! A very positive moment for both of us.

I'm very newly pregnant--6 weeks--with my third, and have a history of losses around 7-10 weeks. So this time especially, I'm consciously using yoga to help me think well of my body and to put some physical and spiritual focus on balance, rhythm, and presence in the moment. 

mamacatsbaby likes this.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
#107 of 122 Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hello MarieHoney, I'm so glad you've found this thread, too, and I congratulate you on your new baby!

I think it's great that you and your 8yo ds are enjoying yoga together. My 8yo dd occasionally comes into the room with me while I'm doing yoga, and occasionally lies down with me while I'm in savasana, but that's about the extent of her interest.

My now 13 yo dd was actually practicing yoga with me for a while a couple of years ago, but it wasn't really her thing, and when she got into her own routine of walking our big dog while jamming to her music, she gladly gave up the yoga.

#108 of 122 Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

litlwons, how are you feeling?

#109 of 122 Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 AM

Good luck MarieHoney.  Pregnancy yoga completely gave me a new look on yoga and life, it was so transformational for me.  I hope it does the same for you.  

#110 of 122 Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I've been following this thread for quite a while now but it always seems like I run out of time to post, like now nut.gif . I will BBL with a proper intro though orngbiggrin.gif . Thanks so much for this thread mammal_mama blowkiss.gif . I hope all you ladies are doing well smile.gif .

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#111 of 122 Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM

Tried the Kundalini video linked above--wow! What a different experience! I liked it a lot. Does anyone else have a favorite or go-to YouTube video or channel that they'd be willing to share? Kundalini or another style. I love personal recommendations. :)

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
#112 of 122 Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Weldcome mamacatsbaby!

MarieHoney, I'm so glad you liked the Kundalini video. Even though it's just an intro, I still find it quite challenging, and as I get stronger, it's easy to extend certain kriyas, such as by starting the standing-up-and-sitting-down, and the running-in-place-while-doing-rapid-breath-of-fire, kriyas much sooner than they do in the video.

By the way, I still have to come forward onto my knees and bring one knee forward and push up with my back leg to do the standing up -- I still can't just stand straight up from the seated position like they do in the video -- but at least I manage to do it without using my hands or arms to push up. Also, I still have to stay on my knee for siam kriya

I think that's because I'm still about 30 lbs. overweight. I really look forward to being able to fully do both those kriyas!

While researching the meaning of the "om shanti shanti shanti" chant that I've been learning from my friend (it's basically a prayer of peace to the whole world), I came across a neat article at the following link: ~~ http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/shanti

The author quoted a verse from the Dhammapada that really resonates with me. It reads --

"The bhikkhu who dwells in loving-kindness,

who trusts in the Buddha's Teaching,

attains to that state of peace,

the blissful fading away of conditioned things."

It made me realize how much my own feelings up distress or depression are rooted in my conditioned ideas as to what family relationships and the home should be like. Now that my girls are 13 and 8 -- especially now that my oldest is 13 -- there is a sense sometimes of despair over the things I "missed" in terms of creating that ideal homelife I'd always envisioned and still envision. There's this feeling that certain patterns are set now and can't be redone....

Also, 13-year-olds have their own ideas about what their moms are like, and about what kind of relationship they have with their moms -- and my dd's perceptions of me and feelings about me quite often don't gel with how I'd like to be perceived by her.

And I'm having to realize that that's okay -- that I need to let go of my conditioning and just embrace the fact that it is what it is. And love unconditionally -- myself as well as others. 

mamacatsbaby likes this.

#113 of 122 Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Ok, finally! nut.gif Well, I've found my way back to yoga after going in then getting wrapped up in life's, just stuff dizzy.gif , then going in again then being pulled away, over and over duh.gif . I've found a wonderful peace right now with not putting any shoulds on myself and just working with what my now is. So I don't always get to lounge my yoga lol.gif but getting my mind and body back in alignment with where my spirit wants to be feels so fantastic heartbeat.gif .

My DH and I have a 7YO DS and a 3YO DS. Life around here is always so, so busy and it's about to get more so with a move and various projects coming up plus planning out DS1's schoolwork for our new semester. We've been working on getting our third to join us here since 2012 but two B2B m/c's and trouble getting pg has made this quite a journey. I need to yoga like I need water orngtongue.gif .

mammal_mama your interest in the hoop inspired me! I can't wait to get back to hula hooping orngbiggrin.gif . Haven't done it since I was a kid and I remember having so much fun with it coolshine.gif .

Aaaaand, that's my time! Be back soon though! tiphat.gif

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#114 of 122 Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatsbaby View Post

I've found a wonderful peace right now with not putting any shoulds on myself and just working with what my now is. So I don't always get to lounge my yoga lol.gif but getting my mind and body back in alignment with where my spirit wants to be feels so fantastic heartbeat.gif .

Yes, it does!

For some reason, I've been extremely tired all weekend. And on weekends, I usually do my Kundalini workout because I have a little more time for it. I still managed to do it both days, but moved veeery slooowly. Then this morning, I woke up with a little lower back pain, which isn't really usual for me. But after my short stint of the Five Tibetan Rites (just 7 of each), the pain was gone. I'm still not feeling great or highly energetic, but at least I'm aligned. I guess you could say I'm ready and waiting for the energy whenever it decides to come.

#115 of 122 Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 AM

It's always fun to teach a brand new yogi.  

My daughters have seen some kid yoga shows and now want to do sun salutations everyday, in addition to our K-yoga bedtime routine.  I'm still not doing ambrosial hour sadhana or taking cold showers.  I think I did that only about 2-3 days this month. 

I've been getting into mantra a lot but I've basically stopped chanting So Purkh.  I've just been enjoying doing yoga with my 6 year old, she begs for it now, it's nice to see her so attached to her personal practice.  The 3 year old mostly plays beside us, but she'll come in for some of her favorite exercises.  

I'm glad your back pain is better mammal-mama.  I had quite a backache earlier this month too (which is also very, very strange for me) I think it may have even been around the same time! 

#116 of 122 Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Yea! Susan I am so so happy for you. Sounds like you are really coming alight. I will have to take some time to read this now very active thread. Congratulations on the weight loss, mama <3

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#117 of 122 Old 05-15-2014, 02:19 PM

#118 of 122 Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

That is such a great post, Tricia Valek! Lately I've been spening a bit of time studying the Yoga Sutra, and also reading a book about Hinduism -- not that I feel led to adopt any one religion, I just want to get a better grasp of yogic philosophy and learn better how to experience that oneness with the Universe.

I've just had a wonderful confirmation of that oneness. I'd been feeling distressed that dd2, who still homeschools, didn't have any friends in the neighborhood to play with. There are lots of kids on our block, but a connection with them just hadn't happened for her, so I started just praying for this to happen for her, and believing that it would, and a couple of days ago, some of the kids invited her to play with them and they had a great time together. They were wanting her to come out again yesterday, but she was sick. She seems better today, so far, so hopefully she'll have some fun playing outside again this afternoon and evening.

#119 of 122 Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 AM

I've just started yoga and love the way I feel during and after. It has made me much more aware of my body and mind. I am really wanting to start meditating as well. I am glad I have read this and see so many people using online videos, because I had not thought of that. I have been going to classes when my kiddos and my schedule allow it. It has been really wonderful for me and has shown me a new way to take care of myself.

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

#120 of 122 Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you're here, momma,mia!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page