Living a Yoga way of life - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am hoping that this thread will be a wonderful place for those of use who are living Yoga in one or more of its many variations to come and share our stories, talk about what we're doing, give advice and encouragement, and so on.

I'm rather a newcomer to Yoga. I got inspired to learn while helping with Harry Potter Camp (a variation of Vacation Bible School that our UU church hosts in the summertime). A Yogi taught us some asanas one evening and I was truly impressed by her calm happiness and flexibility, and by the realization that, at 47, I have lost a whole lot of the range of motion that I used to have when I was younger.

I started out by finding a 40-minute Hatha Yoga easy floor workout on YouTube that I really liked, and that I still really enjoy and find challenging in some areas even now, though I have progressed a lot considering where I was. I can now sit almost directly on top of my heels in my hero, whereas I used to sit suspended a few inches in the air above my heels, and I have recently begun to be able to gently fall forward into my child pose without having to put my hands down to catch myself. One of these days, probably soon, I'm going to get up the courage to go into the full expression of the camel...I feel like I could actually be ready now but keep chickening out at the last minute...

In mid-October, I was talking about Yoga with a friend and she told me about her morning routine of doing a Tibetan form of Yoga called the Five Tibetan Rites. I started reading up on them and got really intrigued (for anyone who's interested, I think Ellen Wood's version is the best and she's on YouTube!). As per my friend's advice, I started out very slowly, doing just three of each rite which took me less than ten minutes, and added two of each every week until, as of Sunday, I have worked my way up to doing the full 21 of each.

I started feeling a change in my body almost immediately, and the longer I do these rites, plus I am still doing my Hatha Yoga at least two or more times per week, plus meditating, the healthier, calmer, and more energetic I feel.

About the meditation: before I started doing the Rites, I was just kind of squeezing in a few minutes of meditation here and there, wherever I could fit it in. But when I started my morning ritual with the rites, I began to feel an urge to start spending thirty minutes meditating every morning immediately afterwards. So I started pushing my waking up time a little earlier and a little earlier, until I now get up at 4am instead of 5am (I start giving my telephone English lessons at 6), and I am actually feeling even better now, getting 6 to 7 hours of sleep than I did before, getting 7 to 8 hours.

The meditation itself is really doing wonderful things for my lungs. When I first started doing the conscious deep breathing, squeezing my tummy in on the exhale and pushing out all the air, I would often find that I'd do a lot of coughing the first few times. Now I still cough sometimes, but since I also do this deep breathing at various times all throughout the day, whenever I think about it (and I tend to notice now if I'm sitting slouched or not breathing deeply enough), I find that I'll sometimes cough once or twice, but after that, my lungs are totally clear. I usually get seriously congested a few times a year, so I'm paying attention to this so I can see, by next October, how much things have changed.

I hope to hear from some others now!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#2 of 122 Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I am so happy to see this under spirituality, as I find the practice to be deeply moving. I have just begun on my yoga journey, in the last year or so. I am pregnant so my development will be on the slow track for the next few months. I'm starting prenantal classes (just now 14 weeks) next week or so. 

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#3 of 122 Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations on your pregnancy and also on your discovery of Yoga! I look forward to hearing more of your story when you get the chance.

How did you get turned on to Yoga?

#4 of 122 Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I just noticed that two of your children are very small, so I imagine it is very challenging to carve out the time. As I recall, my girls tended not to sleep as soundly if I got out of bed when they were toddlers...and they tended to want to climb all over me if I ever tried to exercise.

I recall one time, when I was doing some marching in the house and carrying canned goods as "weights," my younger dd (who was about 3) was following closer behind me than I realized and I accidentally whomped her in the forehead with one of the cans.

I still think it would have been great if I'd started Yoga sooner rather than later, though. And I think every little bit helps! Also, how wonderful that you are exposing them to this wonderful practice at such a young age! It makes me very happy when my own daughters take an interest.

#5 of 122 Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Good morning. So, my husband was the first one to turn me onto yoga, when he gave me a copy of "Autobiography of a yogi" when we were dating (10 years ago). It wasn't until last year, though, that is when I really woke up to the possiblity of a new way of life. I read "The voice of knowledge" by Don Michael Ruiz and my world changed. I rediscovered Paramahansa Yogananda, and yoga with fresh eyes. I really like the free articals on this site http://www.ananda.org/meditation/support/articles/ if anyone is interested.

As for my kids, I don't have much personal time on my hands. At this point in my journey I am focused on redirecting energy up the spine, and the beautiful reality we can only know by going within. Often I wake up at night (without cause) and meditate. My daily life is a meditation and serves as a very good lesson in living non judgementally and humbly. I seek a pure heart, no small task when we are raised to be a consumers. It is my great blessing that my older two, adore my younger two (usually). They really are a big help when it comes to grabbing 40 minutes to yourself. I can't wait to check out the tibetan meditation you mentioned!  The little guy says I can be done, I've got to go. It's great talking to you!.

Namaste

#6 of 122 Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

It's great talking to you, too, and I really like what you said about your daily life being a meditation! This is my goal, too!

#7 of 122 Old 12-24-2011, 12:56 PM

I am really surprised that more people have not found their way here. My dd club is in "groups", did they create that space to accomodate threads like this? Seems like so many moms I have come across are yoga minded. headscratch.gif

#8 of 122 Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

It's a busy time of year! Maybe we'll get some more responses after New Year's!

#9 of 122 Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

this thread interests me. I'm not there yet.  My life is still very unyoga...but i'm shifting more of my time towards it.....watching this thread.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#10 of 122 Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tracy!

It initially seemed really hard for me to carve out the time, too. I love my 40-minute Hatha yoga easy floor workout but it's...40 minutes. So it's something I can only fit in a few times a week, sometimes only two times a week. The other workouts I've noticed on YouTube seem to be at least 55 minutes.

What I love about the Five Tibetans is that, in the beginning when I was just doing 3 of each rite, it took me under 10 minutes. So it was easy to integrate it into my early morning routine. As I gradually increased them, I was already feeling the wonderful effects so it was easier for me to move my wake up to an earlier time. Ditto with meditation! Now that I'm doing the full 21 of each rite, it takes me just under 30 minutes, then a quick washup and water-guzzle and I'm ready for my meditation time.

It would have been overwhelming to me to think about carving out a whole extra hour each morning, but it's been so easy because I was able to work into it gradually. And without even having to leave my house!

I hope you find something that works like this for you, too! It may not necessarily be what works for me, but the important thing is for you to get the way of life you're seeking.

Have a great day!

#11 of 122 Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post

this thread interests me. I'm not there yet.  My life is still very unyoga...but i'm shifting more of my time towards it.....watching this thread.

Hi ladies, I don't think many people would say they felt that they could live up to the "ideal". As I understand it, yoga means union with god, so everyone is going to have a unique experience. "Yoga techniques help to harmonize human consciousness with the divine consciousness." Sounds like the journey of a lifetime.

#12 of 122 Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri31 View Post

Hi ladies, I don't think many people would say they felt that they could live up to the "ideal". As I understand it, yoga means union with god, so everyone is going to have a unique experience. "Yoga techniques help to harmonize human consciousness with the divine consciousness." Sounds like the journey of a lifetime.

This is so true, Tricia! I really like what Eckhart Tolle said -- that no matter how much time we spend meditating, we can really only do it one breath at a time, or something like that (I'm not sure if he called it "meditating"). And a while back, I read an article in the paper (but am not able to buy a subscription so can't search for it in their archives in order to link to it here) by a mom of three who talked about her commitment to taking enough time to mindfully breathe at least three times per day -- and we're talking three breaths here, not three separate segments of time! This was very empowering for me and I actually think it was what got me seriously started. Because it was so totally doable.

We can meditate anytime, anywhere, and for any length of time. I probably went into too much detail talking specifically about what I'm doing, when really, the details are not as important as just actually finding our own ways to get connected and experience our union with the divine life force. I will say that it's been very empowering for me to be able to establish a couple of things that I do as part of my daily practice -- but in my case, I weigh 260 lbs at a height of just under 5'10" so it's just been extremely exciting for me to see all the physical changes, not just in my figure but in my increased ability to do certain things.

For example, it's no longer painful for me to walk up and down the stairs. I'm pretty sure that I had undiagnosed arthritis in my knees, because, before I started yoga, it really hurt me to walk down the stairs. But that pain is all gone now! My weight has actually dropped from about 280 since starting yoga, without me really focusing on calories or anything. I did make the decision last summer to quit putting sugar in my coffee and tea, and I discovered that, without the sugar, I don't crave these beverages near as much so I think I was more addicted to the sugar than to the caffeine. I do still enjoy about one cup of coffee per day with a little milk.

I'm sorry if this doesn't sound like it belongs in spirituality...it's just that for me, it's all spiritual. And because of the way that my weight and lack of activity was weighing down on my spirit, having a daily practice has been kind of a necessary way to propel myself into a new way of living and being. But not everyone has these same issues.

#13 of 122 Old 12-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Susan- I am very inspired to hear that your body is naturally balancing itself in step with your continuing practice! My body craves movement and release. Our interaction has helped remind me to place a little more priority on doing some yoga postures. What a nice gift it is, it's so crazy how fatigue can cloud your mind into thinking you are not up to __________.

So thanks.

#14 of 122 Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, too Tricia, for your reminder. earlier upthread, that it's all about living a life of meditation.

My daily practice is a little more challenging this week. It's the second week that I've been doing the full 21 of each Tibetan rite, and I suddenly started feeling very tired a couple of days ago. I've heard that since these exercises stimulate the lymph system, many people go through a time of having symptoms such as tiredness, headaches, dizziness, and so on, which is all part of the detoxification process. My friend who told me about them said that her pee actually turned orange!

I guess the important thing is just to keep going. I feel a little better today but still kinda tired, so I'm hanging in there. I just work 'til noon on Wednesdays, and it's a beautiful day, so dh and I are getting ready to take the girls to the park and he'll watch them play while I walk our dog around the track. Hopefully the fresh air'll give me an added boost. Dd1 and I just did the 40-minute Hatha yoga easy floor workout and she was rather surprised to see that I was sweating! I actually do usually sweat during this but I think I did a little more than usual today.

I hope you're getting what you need today, Tricia! Have a good one!

#15 of 122 Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM

Hello!  I'm really happy to see this thread.  I'm a yoga teacher and have been integrating yoga into my life for about 16 years now.  With a toddler, my meditative practice is pretty spotty, but he loves to practice asana with me (he'll spontaneously do cobbler pose, which I find RIDICULOUSLY adorable...probably why he does it!) love.gif   Following the 8-Fold Path is an important part of our lifestyle, and I really interested to hear how anyone here may be embracing it and integrating into your daily lives.  Spiritual inspiration is what I'm looking for I think!  Also, what are your favorite yoga styles?  What form/s of yoga do you practice?  Do any of you have family friendly recommendations for retreats or yoga centers? 

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 5 Tibetans, btw-- such great stuff!

Mama to my crazy little circus boy ('09) and feisty little sunshine girl ('12). 

#16 of 122 Old 01-03-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mudhugger -- by the way, I love that name! I'm so happy that you're here!

I haven't really studied the 8-fold path (but I looked it up and it looks interesting), but I will say that Yoga is very spiritual for me and, of course, that's why I started this thread here.

For me, it is all about experiencing the reality of my connection with all of life. I feel like I'm increasing my sensitivity to this truth -- my ability to really feel it -- through simple movements and also through meditation.

Especially with the Five Tibetans, and I also think this is true to some extent with my Hatha Yoga easy floor workout, I feel like I'm increasing/unblocking the circulation of energy between my energy field and the universal energy field (I didn't come up with this idea on my own, it's in some of the literature I've read about the Rites). The Rites are pretty vigorous for me, and the exciting thing is how I am working out but also relaxing, since I follow the advice to rest and breathe as much as I want to between each movement. So there's this sense of just being, but also of doing some pretty intense movements and stretching my way to new levels.

I love doing the Hatha Yoga later on in the day whenever I get a chance to...and I really love how we finish up with a few minutes in the corpse pose -- again, just relaxing and being.

With my focused meditation-time (which I try to keep with me and keep practicing all day), I, again, focus on relaxing and being -- but I'm also still kind of having an inner party about the growing strength of my core body. When I started a few months back, I had to spend practically the whole time with my back propped, because it was very painful for me to sit for more than a few minutes unsupported with a straight spine. But I started scooting forward and sitting un-propped for a few minutes each day, and then gradually increased the time until, I think it was just a few weeks ago, I became able to rely on my core body strength for the whole 30 minutes! Yay!

It's also very exciting for me to be experiencing more of a seamless connection between body, mind, and spirit. I used to be such a reader, and still am, but now when I have a spare chunk of time, I often feel a strong urge to do something physical rather than just reading. I feel like there's more of a seamless flow between what I'm thinking, talking, and reading about, and what's going on in my body...which makes sense, since we really are one -- one with each other, and one within ourselves, too. This is very refreshing for me since I came out of a religious tradition where there was a sharp divide between the flesh and the spirit.

#17 of 122 Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Yoga is so powerful and healing-- your journey so far sounds beautiful.  Have you looked into Kundalini at all?  It may speak to you.  (Although, it sounds like what you're doing right now is so perfect for you.)  I love all of the changes, in both consciousness and behavior, that yoga brings about.  You do yoga-- your body feels healthier-- your being starts to desire that healthy feeling-- so you eat better and notice what you're surrounding your self with-- it's a big, beautiful, snowball of awesomeness :)  I started reading Patanjali's Sutras in '05 and that's how I got into really embracing the 8-fold path.  I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do :) 

#18 of 122 Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I've looked into it a bit and Kundalini Yoga sounds awesome! I've found a video for beginners on YouTube and got to follow a couple of minutes of it -- basically did one exercise and it felt like something I really needed.

I'll have to make time for the whole thing asap! Thank you for telling me about this!

#19 of 122 Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Welcome mudhugger! I am really happy to see you here. This week has been crazy busy. I am trying to get the house back together from the holidays. I would love to start to explore kundalini yoga. When the time is right, I'm sure. I am hoping that after the baby comes (and the relaxin subsides) I can really start to enjoy a daily practice. In the mean time I am very aware of the energy I am putting in my body (food wise). We have made allot of changes in the last year, I am always looking for ideas to help inspire everyone in my family to adopt a more reverent attitude twords food. Any suggestions? What are your kids favorite snacks?

#20 of 122 Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Hey there Tri31!  It's really nice to see you here too :)  I hear you on the relaxin...my practice lately has consisted of an awful lot of cat-cow.  shrug.gif  I love talking good food...although the reverence thing, hmmm.  DS reveres tap dancing in his yogurt and teasing the dogs with bits of oatmeal. lol    Some of his favorites snacks-- yogurt with a little maple syrup swirled in... chocolate chia pudding... fruit and cheese... popcorn (I sneak nutritional yeast and sometimes garlic on it with lots of butter)...  milk with molasses... crackers of all kinds... applesauce... almonds...nutty-chocolate-coconut oil-balls, and then all the stuff he only gets on occasion like Pirate Booty and Happy Tots... his hands-down fave food on the planet...french fries.  Yup.  I've been able to get green smoothies into him lately though-- so that's a win!  I think I have it much easier than you overall-- ds is only two...It's a whole different ball game with older ones, huh?  What do you find most challenging? 

Susan-- yay on Kundalini! 

Thought I'd share this awesome quote I found recently-- I love it so much I painted it across my kitchen :) 

"Peace.  It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.  It means to be in the midst of these things, and still be calm in your heart."  ~anon

Pretty appropriate for those of us trying to balance a yogic way of life with the adventure of the family way of life. 

#21 of 122 Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhugger View Post

Thought I'd share this awesome quote I found recently-- I love it so much I painted it across my kitchen :) 

"Peace.  It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.  It means to be in the midst of these things, and still be calm in your heart."  ~anon

Pretty appropriate for those of us trying to balance a yogic way of life with the adventure of the family way of life. 

That really is an awesome quote!

As for food, that is rather challenging for us but it helps that dd1 has been really taking an interest in putting the right things into her body. We don't make any foods off-limits here, but I am really encouraging the habit of going for nutritious snacks -- and especially something high in protein -- first when we are hungry.

My protein focus comes from when I was pregnant with dd2. I didn't see a doctor at all. I finally met my midwife in the 7th month, and when she had me pee on  the strips, I showed high glucose and key tones in my urine. My midwife said that this problem was totally fixable, even this far into my pregnancy. She advised me to start eating about 6-7 times per day and always have something high in protein with every snack or meal. And, of course, to eat my fruit rather than drinking it.

She said that I didn't need to cut out sweets or fruit juice 100% -- but, when I wanted a sweet, to just consume it with a full-course meal. I followed her advice and quickly discovered that, whereas I'd been constantly craving sugar before, I was now feeling much more satisfied. My sugar and protein levels went back to normal and I dropped a bunch of weight; the midwife said the weight loss so late in pregnancy would normally concern her, but in this case she felt that it was mostly water-loss (my body had been breaking down my tissues to get the protein it needed). I felt great!

What I learned during that time has come back to me now that I am working (from home, but still quite busy) and my girls are often getting their own snacks. I've been explaining that when we are really hungry, our bodies crave sugar because of the fast energy. So it's really important to try to eat before we are literally starving, and also to go for the foods that give us healthy sugars plus the other things our bodies need.

By the way, mudhugger, I had an unexpected break today and I got to go through the whole Kundalini video! It is absolutely wonderful! Parts of it were very challenging; for example, I am not yet able to do the standing and sitting ritual. I mean, I was able to get up and down without using my hands but I had to move forward and get up on one knee first, whereas those other adults were able to just stand straight up from a cross-legged position! It's exciting to visualise myself being able to do this eventually!

I loved the rapid fire-breath and also the different kinds exercises where I went around in a circular motion.

Thank you, again, for telling me about it!

#22 of 122 Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:View Post

I think I have it much easier than you overall-- ds is only two...It's a whole different ball game with older ones, huh?  What do you find most challenging? 

My oldest is the easiest to feed because she has celiacs and realizes how processed food really can be toxic. Our family is blended, I remarried in 06', years after my first marriage fell apart. So my soon to be 16 year old has the hardest time.His experience at his dads is the large portion, processed, cheap, soda all day nightmare. Jared feels very loyal to him, and it is hard for him to embrace my contrary point of view and not feel like he is taking sides. I have faith in my son, he is more willing to adapt every year. The little ones love junk too if they can get their hands on it. Like fruit snacks and chips at birthday parties.But, like with everything else eventually they have to decide for themselves that they are the kind of people that take care of themselves and avoid ______. I am always looking for new ideas. 

As for reverent eating, I was refering to some things I have been reading which assert "our true sustenance is the life force of the food itself, and the foods with the most intense life-enhancing energy are those that come from plants and trees. The true alchemy of digestion is not the combustion of chemical substances but the absorption by the pranic body of the vital spark that is life itself. Of course, we obtain prana with every breath of fresh air, but when we sit down to eat we should bear in mind that we have the opportunity to feed not only the physical body but the pranic body as well."

That is so Beautiful!

I love that quote dh gave me a birthday card with it on it last year, it's still hanging in the kitchen.

#23 of 122 Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM

"our true sustenance is the life force of the food itself, and the foods with the most intense life-enhancing energy are those that come from plants and trees. The true alchemy of digestion is not the combustion of chemical substances but the absorption by the pranic body of the vital spark that is life itself. Of course, we obtain prana with every breath of fresh air, but when we sit down to eat we should bear in mind that we have the opportunity to feed not only the physical body but the pranic body as well."

That is beautiful!  Now I getcha :)  I think reverent eating for us shows up in organic, fresh/local, home-produced food.  There is this amazing documentary type video on Netflix about pranic consumption...I wish I could remember the name of it.  I believe that's where I took the concept of "making food with love" as being just as important as the food itself.  So-- strife, bickering, stress, etc contaminates our meals.  We try to make meal prep a happy family time, and DS can leave the table at any point-- no power struggles or food battles is an important decision we made when he was about 14months.  We also always say one thing we're grateful for or that made us happy that day and then click our forks together...kind of like to seal in gratefulness.  Our friends know our ritual, and nobody ever asks to stay silent...I love that!   One thing I struggle with is slowing down.  Before have ds I was really good about eating slowly and mindfully...somewhere along the way, I started wolfing down my food-- I think as a survival mechanism!  It's hard, and I have to remind myself constantly to eat mindfully.  An exercise I often do in my family workshops is the grape meditation.  Everyone takes a grape and sits on their mat.  I invite them to look at it closely.  Roll it between their fingers.  Smell it.  Touch it to their forehead, their eyelids, their lips.  When they finally put it in their mouths I ask them to roll it around.  When they bite into it-- bite slowly, noticing how it breaks and what that feels like.  Savor the taste.  Chew it slowly.  Experience everything that one grape has to offer.  When they swallow-- feel the grape descend into the belly.  Notice the body's reactions.  Then just sit.  Notice everything...The grape is still offering it's self even after it left the mouth.  It takes up to 10 minutes to eat one grape, and comments afterward always include something about that being the best grape they've ever eaten.  So cool.  As ds gets older I'd really like to teach that kind of mindful eating to him.

#24 of 122 Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I really love everything you guys are saying about reverent eating. This is an area where I want to grow as well. Honestly, the more aware I become that every other living thing -- plant, animal, person, or what-have-you -- is really and truly just another form of me (I got this idea from an article on Yoga), the less I am able to see food as "other." The more I see all of life as sacred, the more I can see myself and the food I eat, which becomes the building blocks of my body and part of my energy field, as sacred. Instead of giving thanks "for" the food, maybe I need to give thanks "to" the food and express my love for it.

January is a slow month as far as English lessons go, so I've been blessed with some extra time. This is really the perfect time for me to learn as much as I can about Kundalini. I got to go through that entire video again today, and this time both my girls joined me. It is both very wonderful and very stretching and challenging.

When my work picks up again in February, it's going to be a lot less frequent for me to have 50-minute chunks of time to follow the Kundalini video, or 40-minute chunks of time to do the Hatha Yoga easy floor workout. I think the best plan is for me to continue with the Five Tibetan Rites, followed by meditation, as my core practice that I do every morning, and then add in Kundalini and Hatha later on in the day as I am able to and as the Spirit leads.

Right now, I want to get to know the Kundalini rituals (I can't remember the word for those off the top of my head) from the video as well as I can, so that I'll be able to take 5 or 10 minutes here and there to just immerse myself in one or two of them at a time. I know that I won't always be able to do a 40 or 50-minute session every day, especially since it's also important for me to take our dear, big, energetic dog for a good long walk at least 3 or 4 times per week.

It's all about balance, right? And, of course, being fully present in the here and now.

#25 of 122 Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM

Hi all,

I'm so glad to have found this thread!

I have a 4 month old, and I've found that my yoga and meditation practices have been severely lacking ever since late pregnancy. Pre-baby, I diligently practiced hatha yoga and Kundalini. I got into Kundalini through my husband, and I've found the exercises to be very transformative for me. Hatha was (and still is, to some extent) a nearly everyday ritual, and I often would go outside to practice. Meditation is very important in my life, and I spent years reading about different methods and practicing on my own. Actually, I was on a 10 vipassana meditation retreat when I was about 6 weeks pregnant -- I didn't know that was the case for a few weeks after, though!

With a baby, I barely meditate anymore. And due to pregnancy (my ab muscles separated and have not come back together completely yet), there are many yoga positions that I cannot currently do. I do stretch everyday, and I have been trying to start and end each day with a very brief meditation to myself. Since I have created such a foundation for mindfulness in my life, I feel as though much of my day to day is informed with mindfulness and lovingkindness; however, I've been feeling very lacking in continuity of practice.

Anyway, that's where I am at. Thanks so much to everyone for their sharing!

#26 of 122 Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Kriyas...is that the word you were looking for?

I am so happy to see you all talking about yoga, especially kundalini yoga, as I'm a teacher.

As for finding the time to do it with kids...just do it, put it in your mind that the energy manifesting from your practice is for you and your daughters.  No matter what happens the energy is building a foundation in your household, in your environment to evolve.  You may get only 5 minutes today, but if you allow your practice to become regular you and your kids will settle into a comfortable path of expectance.  They may join you or they may sit blissfully bathing in the energy.  Prepare them for the idea of the sacred space you move into when you practice yoga and see how they take to it. 

I've seen so many babies and children in classes with mothers and with my first daughter I always did yoga with her, she was quickly very accustomed to what it meant when I did yoga and made herself very comfortable in the energy.  Now with my second daughter, life has been more hectic, but I am taking my own advice and just allowing her to get used to the flow and allowing myself to model the acknowledgement of the yoga space...they learn by our example, right? :)

#27 of 122 Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sweetserene and featherstory, I am so glad that you are both here! Yes, kriyas is the word I was looking for! And I totally agree with you, featherstory, that me doing Yoga is something wonderful for my whole family. I'm actually looking forward to learning how to make the kriyas of Kundalini part of my regular, busy, everyday life. I often have five or ten minutes here and there where I can allow myself to be reenergized and uplifted doing Kundalini, all throughout the day. I'm also very excited about all that my girls are learning at such a young age. Sweetserene, your baby will be learning at at even younger age; I'm so happy for you both!

#28 of 122 Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Sweetserene-- the same thing happened to me.  I took the approach of trying to fit mindfulness in edges...like when I was nursing I'd do a counting meditation (inhale, exhale, one...inhale, exhale, two..) and then things like brushing my teeth and washing my face became very intentional for me.  I'd do walking meditations while carrying DS, and I'd do energizing breathwork to help with the ridiculous tiredness.  I think it's important to remember that asana is only a small part of yoga.  One of my favorite routines was for me to do baby massage on DS and incorporate Itsy Bitsy Baby Yoga into that, and then while he laid on the floor I would do some gentle yoga beside him-- so sweet.  I focused a ton on the yamas and niyamas...that fit so well with wanting to be the best person I could be for my child.  Finally I got to the point where I felt I could start integrating asana back into my practice, and now I am able to do flows by myself and more static poses with DS...it's awesome.  Another fun thing we do... I sit cross legged with ds on my lap facing me-- I lift his arms up as I inhale and then press my forehead against his and put his hands on my chest as I AUM....he giggles and shrieks and asks me to do it again and again.  I love that.  If you haven't looked into mom and baby yoga classes in your area, I'd totally recommend them.  I'm biased-- I teach for ChildLight Yoga-- but it's a nice way to feel connected to yoga and bring your child into "the fold".  :)

Featherstory-- I love the way you write...Your advice is so perfect, and beautifully worded.  I think having that sacred space in a family is so important, and I've been forgetting that lately...so thank you for the reminder. 

mamacatsbaby likes this.

#29 of 122 Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

It's just a fact that Yoga is going to be different at different times in our lives. I just started learning Yoga last summer, and my girls are 11 and 6, so I honestly don't know what it's like doing Yoga with babies and very small children. I kind of wish I did -- mainly because of how wonderful it would have been for us to have had this in our family so much sooner, but of course I'm just happy to have it now. And I'm very happy for the Yogis with very little ones who can give advice about that aspect. mudhugger, I just did the thing you do with your son with dd2 and we really enjoyed it!

Doing Kundalini on a break this morning has really energized me. I did have to make some modifications for myself, though. I'd hurt my knee attempting to do the standing and sitting Kriya a few days ago, so I've decided that during that part (at least for now while I'm so heavy), I'll do more of a Kriya where you sit cross-legged, holding your ankles, and lean forward, arching the spine, and then lean back, curving the spine inward. I also decided, at least for the time being, that I won't try to speed up while doing the frog; and it worked out really nicely today to just do the frog very slowly the whole time.

#30 of 122 Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM

Hi, I am wondering if you any of you practice chanting? I am trying to get over my shyness. Even when I'm quiet, I feel like I am drawing attention to myself,because it is usually late in the night when I meditate. What might help?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page