January Pagan Families - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 186 Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

Redveg - That's my ex.  I'm 5'6", he's 5'5"ish and only a few pounds heavier.  And before him I was dating a boy who was an inch shorter and another 20 pounds lighter.  It's really nice to finally be with a man who doesn't make me feel like a big gangly monster.

3X - That's a good idea about the song.  With Badger, we had a book we read to him every night, but I'm not sure he really responds differently to it now.  Maybe we didn't do it enough.

Maia - You deserve a break sometimes too.  There's no reason why the school should get the full benefit of his meds each and every time.

Ugh, sometimes I wonder why we all have kids.  Do the rewards really outweigh the hassles?  I had to leave work early last night because I was so sick I couldn't even walk down the hall without getting that "you're about to puke and there's nothing you can do about it" saliva thing.  And then today I'm walking around the college town I live in, seeing all these happy single people that can date who they want and go where they want and spend money on what they want, and feeling a little resentful that I never had any of that.  It's my fault and no one else's, but still.

Ya know, DS2 doesn't really respond to it too much anymore unless he's upset or tired. I think its something that slowly fades with time. But when he was in that fourth trimester age, it was kind of amazing how it would calm him down and shut him up. 

Ugh, kids. I feel ya. My bestie is a single woman without kids and wow do I envy her sometimes. She goes out and parties, eats out, buys herself things just because, dates...*sigh* I'd love to be able to do a lot of that stuff. DH and I missed out on a lot of it since we were so young when we started having kids. And then there are the bad days when they run around screaming with streaming snot noses and poo running down their leg...(not that that happened to me today...twice...). Just compounds the frustration. But then they curl up with you and give you sticky kisses and say they love you and it makes things at least a little better. Until the next poo explosion at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensMommy View Post

Feral- I am so happy for you! I do hope the nausea cuts back though- that can be really rough. And I hear ya when it comes to big babies- told my midwife I was having a minimum 8 pounder, she kept swearing my DS was 7.5 MAX. I was right he he heee...

My midwife will guess at size and weight, but maintains that mom knows best and will take into account what mom thinks more than what she thinks. :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

feral- go easy on  yourself. all these feelings are normal. you are having hormonal fluctuations. they will make you feel all these things. 2 pregnancies i was happy and never a worry and 2 pregnancies i was always sad, negative, and disconnected for the first 20 weeks. i am still having problems being happy. i am stressed out and not dealing very well. keep telling yourself that these are hormonal feelings and try not to take them too seriously. do not dwell on the thoughts. it gives them power. acknowledge you had them, then let them flow on their way. holding on to them makes the bigger stronger and attracts more to you. it is all hormones making normal worries and upsets worse. it will not last forever. it will let up and get easier and of course melt away when you see your baby for the first time. pm me if you want. i only want to remind you of this bc i am going through the same thing. just today for the first time i felt a glimmer of expectant joy. i hope it gets stronger as i go. bc with the last one i already had it full force. i am 15 weeks now. 

Very well said!!!!

I think I'm going to take on a room a month this year and work through my house doing deep cleaning. Like washing the floor boards, windows and walls and re-organizing. I'm going to do some research and after its all clean, organized and sparkly, I'm going to do some sort of cleansing/blessing ritual and set up a talisman to guard the room. I'm not totally sure how that will work, like I said I need to research it more. But I'm pretty excited about this project! Hopefully it will go more or less smoothly. And who knows, maybe I will blog about it!! Probably not, but its a nice thought. lol.gif

Oh and yesterday was beautiful here--55 and sunny, very unusual. I was able to open the windows for a few hours (not to mention send the kids outside for a few hours!) so I did a quick smudge through the house. I was very thankful for the weather and fresh air! The smudge seems to have worked and since it was a last minute thing and my house was a wreck instead of neat and tidy like I would've preferred, I've also put a half an onion in each room to collect any lingering negativity. I'll collect them at three days and bury them at the back of our property, asking Mother Earth to take and cleanse the negativity. Hopefully that will get rid of all the ickies that have invaded our house. 

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#62 of 186 Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostI have 2 that take turns doing this.  Thank the Gods it's never on the same day!  My DD has eased up a bit but she is still the sort who will have a major emotional breakdown that turns into yelling, stomping, nitpicking every word literally  fighting that never ends.  The same conversation forever if we don't agree because she thinks if we don't agree we haven't heard her or something.  Yet she can only see her side.  I am at the point where I just let her have her say and come back to the discussion when she has calmed down.  Now my DS, he is the type who corrects everything, including your sentence structure and only see's things in Black or White. There is only right or wrong and if it can be proven through science that's a big one.  My DS was a lot like my DD when he was younger but has calmed a bit.  He has an outlet though, martial arts and I think that helps a bit though there are some days itjust starts out bad and ends that way.  With my DD I have had some conversations that have ended and started the next day.  There are even a few topics we won't talk with her about because of how out of control she gets.

Dang, that's not encouraging at all greensad.gif So wait, though-- Your one that can only see her side, or your DS who corrects everything; mine is a combo of those two. Yesterday I said "Is it more important to be kind, or to be right?"-- I think he is still too young to get that. But he's smart enough to consider it.

Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostMaia-  I really can relate. Truly.  My son is like that, too.  I'm actually going to call for a therapy appointment (for myself) on Monday.  Ds is simply wearing me out.  And yep, my BP is on the rise...even though I'm on meds for it.

So-- what do you do? When he gets like that? I mostly scream my fool head off, because mostly ds will not shut up under pain of death, and after a point, his voice is like an icepick in my ear...and when we have nothing to do, I can go in my room and put in earplugs and try to calm down, but usually he pulls this shite when we have exactly one hour to get out the door for school, or when he has to get to bed on a weeknight. Heavy sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View PostMaia - You deserve a break sometimes too.  There's no reason why the school should get the full benefit of his meds each and every time.

Ugh, sometimes I wonder why we all have kids.  Do the rewards really outweigh the hassles?  I had to leave work early last night because I was so sick I couldn't even walk down the hall without getting that "you're about to puke and there's nothing you can do about it" saliva thing.  And then today I'm walking around the college town I live in, seeing all these happy single people that can date who they want and go where they want and spend money on what they want, and feeling a little resentful that I never had any of that.  It's my fault and no one else's, but still.

Ture that, I do need a break, too, but if the school doesn't get the benefit of the meds, I don't get that 6-hour break on weekdays-- because they call me. About his behavior. And that's almost worse than having to just deal directly with it. Plus, he gets another med when he gets home, which bumps us into the early evening. I always keep some in the car in case we're out and about and I have to give him some.

I do think the rewards outweigh the hassles, most days. I don't want to be single anymore, I don't want to be dating anyone else, I have nowhere I really want to go. I got all that out of my system before I had ds, but then, I had him at 41. Plus, remember, Feral-- you don't know that all those people are happy. You are comparing your insides to other people's outsides. We really have no idea the struggles other people are going through. Or the lengths they go to to hide them.

Your life is exactly yours. Try to find the small gratitudes, sweet one. When I'm feeling that funky, I go on a blessing walk-- it's going to sound utterly silly, but I have gone out the door SO freaking angry. I start walking and I say "bless ds, bless mom, bless her bf, bless M, bless J, bless G, bless..." you get it. As soon as I think of one person to bless, I think of all the people connected with them-- Mom's boyfriend, M's brothers and sisters, even though I don't know them, ds's classmates and their siblings and their parents and all the people I know who have died, and their families, people in the media, celebrities, and on and on and on. Usually by the time I'm done, 1/2 hour later, I don't feel so angry anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensMommy View PostMaia- I wish I could help. I had a couple of cousins that I used to live with that were the exact same way and all I wanted to do was shoot them. Of course knowing my luck my son will acquire my attitude and be just as dry and acerbic as I am...

I wish you could, too. Want to babysit? For a week? lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Postferal- go easy on  yourself. all these feelings are normal. you are having hormonal fluctuations. they will make you feel all these things. 2 pregnancies i was happy and never a worry and 2 pregnancies i was always sad, negative, and disconnected for the first 20 weeks. i am still having problems being happy. i am stressed out and not dealing very well. keep telling yourself that these are hormonal feelings and try not to take them too seriously. do not dwell on the thoughts. it gives them power. acknowledge you had them, then let them flow on their way. holding on to them makes the bigger stronger and attracts more to you. it is all hormones making normal worries and upsets worse. it will not last forever. it will let up and get easier and of course melt away when you see your baby for the first time. pm me if you want. i only want to remind you of this bc i am going through the same thing. just today for the first time i felt a glimmer of expectant joy. i hope it gets stronger as i go. bc with the last one i already had it full force. i am 15 weeks now. 

This sounds like great advice, from someone who's had a couple of pregnancies winky.gif Good stuff, Lioness. How's the van search going? How's DS's punishment going? How's your DH?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#63 of 186 Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

This sounds like great advice, from someone who's had a couple of pregnancies winky.gif Good stuff, Lioness. How's the van search going? How's DS's punishment going? How's your DH?

still cant find the right van. might have to drive almost 50 miles away :( but i am keeping the thought that the right one will come up with my searching eventually. 

DS is feeling sick. i have had it with his attitude. everything he says is disrespectful and rude sounding even though the words arent. he will probably be heavily grounded for awhile. i know some of it is the virus bc i felt like that and so did DH but i still cant stand it anymore. he argues about everything. even if he said it first. if i say it second it is still wrong. he feels pretty guilty about the accident. more so every day i cant find another van that will seat all of us. he realizes how much of a bind he put us in but i dont think he really learned a lesson. time will tell. he is getting better at dishes and folding laundry though....

Dh has another eye appt mon afternoon. he had ableed after surgery and so there is blood floating around inside his eye. it is dissipating on itsw own somewhat but he might need another surgery to filter it out if it doesnt completely clear up on its own. he still has to sleep sitting up. so when he wakes up the blood has pooled at the bottom. for a second or 2 when he wakes up he can see out of it. but like a snowglobe, if he moves a little it stirs up again. but it is good news bc he hasnt been able to see out of it since he was 15. and he could actually tell what stuff was. he might need glasses for that eye to get the most use out of it, but having any use is awesome. it looks very promising that he will get useable eyesight back in that eye. i just hope the blood clears by itself (not likely) instead of needing surgery again. i am fervently wishing for him. 

i have spent way too much time sitting on this computer looking for a van today. i have driven around (in borrowed vehicles) for 2 days now looking at all the car lots in my surrounding areas. nada. i am very particular about what will work for my family. i will have 2 in forward facing 5 pt harness seats and one in a rear facing convertible seat, plus a 16 yr old and a 8 yr old. i really need something that seats 8. i want a mini van. the one i had it was easy to get to the 3rd row. i had plenty of room to kneel down in front of the seats and buckle the kids, even when my belly got real big. i had a chevy venture. people have suggested all kinds of other vehicles. i appreciate that but most of them dont offer the same accessibilty. i like the chevy venture. ones just like it are the pontiac montana and the honda odyssey. but the 8 seat is an option and none of them in my area carry ones with that option. the bank said i could go up to $12,000 and keep my payment under $200 a month. stretches things a little but doable considering my insurance will be higher the newer the vehicle. so even with that range (all my vehicles have been under 5grand) i still cant find anything. it is just not available here. well except that one that had a leaky head gasket. i told him the only way i would buy it was if he fixed it first. he fixed all the minor stuff and wouldnt touch the head gasket. shady.

i am stressed over this and i thought it was the reason why i was all upset and disconnected from the pregnancy. but then yesterday i started feeling better about things. i thought i had been feeling the baby kick here or there for awhile but yesterday was definite. no mistaking that little pop against my insides. it seemed to melt me alittle. that and DD2 finally slept through the ight last night. my milk is gone and she was not happy. i tried sippy's with water, milk, etc. no go. finally got out the one bottle i own and tried milk or water in it. still no. bought some carnation instant vanilla breakfast and mixed it with milk. sucked it down and slept all night. i woke up a couple of times and had to check her breathing. didnt even roll over to cuddle once. like right before i got preggo. the carnation stuff is the only thing i could find with  not too much sugar and none of the other stuff we are intolerant of. i hope to wean her down to reg whole milk. i feel bad giving her the stuff but i think she needs it right now. she still doesnt each much and it has vitamins and stuff. i didnt even ask her doctor. all the kids stuff had stupid stuff in it that she is intolerant of. it is crazy. 

so there is a book on me. keeping my head up should be the title. love my mom, always has positive stuff to say :) doing one day at a time and trying not to dwell on the bad parts ;)

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#64 of 186 Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Lioness- Car shopping is the worst. I hope you find something soon.

Feral- thinking of you

I read through the whole thread, finally. I lost track of what everyone was up to around page 3, so, sending love and light to those in need.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#65 of 186 Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:

So, the baby is still there and healthy.  We had an ultrasound today, and it turns out she's just so huge that she's making *me* bleed.  She's a full week ahead in size, but not developmentally ahead, so the dates are correct.  This is what I get for marrying a giant.  And maybe the Gods really were trying to teach me a lesson, because I feel much less disconnected from the baby now.  Hopefully the feeling will last.

So happy to hear this news, Feral.  I have no idea what you people with your big babies are going through. Z was 6-9 and is still in the 20th percentile for her height, the little peanut.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

I think I'm going to take on a room a month this year and work through my house doing deep cleaning. Like washing the floor boards, windows and walls and re-organizing. I'm going to do some research and after its all clean, organized and sparkly, I'm going to do some sort of cleansing/blessing ritual and set up a talisman to guard the room. I'm not totally sure how that will work, like I said I need to research it more. But I'm pretty excited about this project! Hopefully it will go more or less smoothly. And who knows, maybe I will blog about it!! Probably not, but its a nice thought. lol.gif

Oh and yesterday was beautiful here--55 and sunny, very unusual. I was able to open the windows for a few hours (not to mention send the kids outside for a few hours!) so I did a quick smudge through the house. I was very thankful for the weather and fresh air! The smudge seems to have worked and since it was a last minute thing and my house was a wreck instead of neat and tidy like I would've preferred, I've also put a half an onion in each room to collect any lingering negativity. I'll collect them at three days and bury them at the back of our property, asking Mother Earth to take and cleanse the negativity. Hopefully that will get rid of all the ickies that have invaded our house. 

3x, I'm doing a very similar cleaning regiment from now until April.  Getting into all of the "dark" spots that hide my junk, literally and figuratively, actually!  I didn't think of doing a blessing for each space but I love the idea.  Will you share anything interesting you find?

Also, like the onion collecting negativity.  I think that will need to happen with each room cleanse, too!!  Thanks for all the great ideas!! 

Quote:

I do think the rewards outweigh the hassles, most days. I don't want to be single anymore, I don't want to be dating anyone else, I have nowhere I really want to go. I got all that out of my system before I had ds, but then, I had him at 41. Plus, remember, Feral-- you don't know that all those people are happy. You are comparing your insides to other people's outsides. We really have no idea the struggles other people are going through. Or the lengths they go to to hide them.

Your life is exactly yours. Try to find the small gratitudes, sweet one. When I'm feeling that funky, I go on a blessing walk-- it's going to sound utterly silly, but I have gone out the door SO freaking angry. I start walking and I say "bless ds, bless mom, bless her bf, bless M, bless J, bless G, bless..." you get it. As soon as I think of one person to bless, I think of all the people connected with them-- Mom's boyfriend, M's brothers and sisters, even though I don't know them, ds's classmates and their siblings and their parents and all the people I know who have died, and their families, people in the media, celebrities, and on and on and on. Usually by the time I'm done, 1/2 hour later, I don't feel so angry anymore.

Very, very true comparing your insides to other's outsides.  I might have to tattoo that on my head.  I love the blessing walk, that is another fabulous idea.  I don't think it sounds silly at all focusing on changing your negative energy to positive by remembering the blessings you have in your life.  

I didn't get to chime in on your DS's beastly day but I do hope you get to have a nice massage and relax for a little bit.  I'm sorry that you have to have days like that and I'm sorry that your SON has to have days where he feels like that.  

Quote:

i am stressed over this and i thought it was the reason why i was all upset and disconnected from the pregnancy. but then yesterday i started feeling better about things. i thought i had been feeling the baby kick here or there for awhile but yesterday was definite. no mistaking that little pop against my insides. it seemed to melt me alittle. that and DD2 finally slept through the ight last night. my milk is gone and she was not happy. i tried sippy's with water, milk, etc. no go. finally got out the one bottle i own and tried milk or water in it. still no. bought some carnation instant vanilla breakfast and mixed it with milk. sucked it down and slept all night. i woke up a couple of times and had to check her breathing. didnt even roll over to cuddle once. like right before i got preggo. the carnation stuff is the only thing i could find with  not too much sugar and none of the other stuff we are intolerant of. i hope to wean her down to reg whole milk. i feel bad giving her the stuff but i think she needs it right now. she still doesnt each much and it has vitamins and stuff. i didnt even ask her doctor. all the kids stuff had stupid stuff in it that she is intolerant of. it is crazy. 

so there is a book on me. keeping my head up should be the title. love my mom, always has positive stuff to say :) doing one day at a time and trying not to dwell on the bad parts ;)

Lioness, love love love that you felt the baby kick.  yayayay!!  the sweetest feeling, I think.  I wish for everything else in your life to realign best it can.  Good luck with the van search.  Car shopping sucks there is no two ways about it.  

redveg: what's the update on YodaMae?  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#66 of 186 Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM

Subbing now, posting later when I'm not so tired and sick. smile.gif

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#67 of 186 Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:

So, the baby is still there and healthy.  We had an ultrasound today, and it turns out she's just so huge that she's making *me* bleed.  She's a full week ahead in size, but not developmentally ahead, so the dates are correct.  This is what I get for marrying a giant.  And maybe the Gods really were trying to teach me a lesson, because I feel much less disconnected from the baby now.  Hopefully the feeling will last.

Yay! joy.gif

So, I'm thinking about Imbolc. Generally, I treat it as a celebration that we are almost through the winter, but this year...it feels like winter never came. I always prefer rituals that focus on seasonal changes. Any thoughts? We're be making candles for sure, but I'm not sure what else.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#68 of 186 Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Dh has another eye appt mon afternoon. he had ableed after surgery and so there is blood floating around inside his eye. it is dissipating on itsw own somewhat but he might need another surgery to filter it out if it doesnt completely clear up on its own. he still has to sleep sitting up. so when he wakes up the blood has pooled at the bottom. for a second or 2 when he wakes up he can see out of it. but like a snowglobe, if he moves a little it stirs up again. but it is good news bc he hasnt been able to see out of it since he was 15. and he could actually tell what stuff was. he might need glasses for that eye to get the most use out of it, but having any use is awesome. it looks very promising that he will get useable eyesight back in that eye. i just hope the blood clears by itself (not likely) instead of needing surgery again. i am fervently wishing for him. 

i have spent way too much time sitting on this computer looking for a van today. i have driven around (in borrowed vehicles) for 2 days now looking at all the car lots in my surrounding areas. nada. i am very particular about what will work for my family. i will have 2 in forward facing 5 pt harness seats and one in a rear facing convertible seat, plus a 16 yr old and a 8 yr old. i really need something that seats 8. i want a mini van. the one i had it was easy to get to the 3rd row. i had plenty of room to kneel down in front of the seats and buckle the kids, even when my belly got real big. i had a chevy venture. people have suggested all kinds of other vehicles. i appreciate that but most of them dont offer the same accessibilty. i like the chevy venture. ones just like it are the pontiac montana and the honda odyssey. but the 8 seat is an option and none of them in my area carry ones with that option. the bank said i could go up to $12,000 and keep my payment under $200 a month. stretches things a little but doable considering my insurance will be higher the newer the vehicle. so even with that range (all my vehicles have been under 5grand) i still cant find anything. it is just not available here. well except that one that had a leaky head gasket. i told him the only way i would buy it was if he fixed it first. he fixed all the minor stuff and wouldnt touch the head gasket. shady.

Hoping your DH's eye appointment goes well! How awesome to be able to see out of that eye! If you don't mind my asking, what happened when he was 15?

Hooray for baby kicks! That's one of the most awesome feelings!! And sleep...ahhh sleep is so wonderful. Glad you're getting some. Good sleep will go miles in helping you feel better!

Crossing your fingers that you find a good van ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

So happy to hear this news, Feral.  I have no idea what you people with your big babies are going through. Z was 6-9 and is still in the 20th percentile for her height, the little peanut.  

3x, I'm doing a very similar cleaning regiment from now until April.  Getting into all of the "dark" spots that hide my junk, literally and figuratively, actually!  I didn't think of doing a blessing for each space but I love the idea.  Will you share anything interesting you find?

Also, like the onion collecting negativity.  I think that will need to happen with each room cleanse, too!!  Thanks for all the great ideas!! 

DD was 8lbs 9oz at birth and definately my biggest! DS1 was 7/7 and DS2 was 7/2. Now DS2 is the biggest any of them were at a year. He's about to size up to 18 month clothes. Its all DH's side. My BIL is six feet six inches tall. bigeyes.gif He's freaking gigantic!  I'm all of 5'3 and feel like a teeny little person next to him.

I will share anything I find! Spells, blessings, objects and whatever else I come across. thumb.gif

I finished the onion thing today. I took them outside, asked Mother Earth to take them and then proceeded to pick up all the garbage from our yard, which was actually surprisingly large amount for a pretty small and clean yard. It does feel better in here and the colds are drying up. There have been a few family things that have come to the surface that were dealt with quickly, cleanly and without much guilt on my part, lol. I'm liking it! I can't wait for my friend who can see ghosts and auras and such come over this weekend and tell me what she thinks. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

So, I'm thinking about Imbolc. Generally, I treat it as a celebration that we are almost through the winter, but this year...it feels like winter never came. I always prefer rituals that focus on seasonal changes. Any thoughts? We're be making candles for sure, but I'm not sure what else.

Winter never came here, either. We kept getting predictions of the worst winter in years, huge amounts of snow etc etc etc. Instead we've barely dipped into the 30s, haven't even had an inch of snow or have it last more than 12 hrs. In fact, DD & DS1 have gone outside to play without wearing a coat!! Its a little weird...But its supposed to dip into the 20s and snow later this week and stay that way for the foreseeable future so who knows, by the time Imbolc comes around we'll see a seasonal change or two. 

This morning was DD's first day at her new school. We switched her because her first school did not seem to have a clue. It was a Montessori charter and lets just say its was more Lord of the Flies than Montessori. So we go outside so I can take DD to school and what is there but this beautiful, round, white, huge moon setting in the west. We were lucky enough to have it in sight the whole way to school and it really comforted DD, who was of course pretty nervous. She was glad to think that the Goddess was blessing her on the first day of school. love.gif It was sweet. In the fifteen minutes between pulling into the parking lot, taking DD inside and coming back out, the sun had risen into a beautiful, crisp day. I'm taking that as a good omen for this school and the rest of the year. thumb.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#69 of 186 Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM

We make candles, candy, and do the pooka pages.

So, what is everyone reading?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#70 of 186 Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostI didn't get to chime in on your DS's beastly day but I do hope you get to have a nice massage and relax for a little bit.  I'm sorry that you have to have days like that and I'm sorry that your SON has to have days where he feels like that.  

I don't know what his problem is. Surely you'd think it'd be easier to just get along. Today was another one! Half a freaking day of school, and he got written up in school because...get this, he didn't want to go outside for recess. Apparently he asked the asst.teacher if he could stay in the classroom and read his book. She said no, everyone has to stay together. Got outside, did a head count, DS was not there, he'd decided he had the right to stay in the classroom anyway.

And THEN, proceeded to make up a story, and believe it, that he'd asked and was given permission-by-omission (she didn't expressly say NO, she just said "everybody has to go out") and then gave major attitude about it. MAJOR. On his "infraction paper" you're supposed to finish questions/statements such as "What happened was..." and "My behavior affected others by..." and "Next time I will..." and his huge attitude shone right through on the paper bigeyes.gif So I made him write it over and when he did, it said "My mom throttled me against the wall", so I made him write a third one, and still he was crying and playing the victim. Amazing what he will go through, and put other people through...you'd really think behaving is easier.

M helped me through it in a major way. I'm much calmer, but why the eff does he have to do this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View PostSubbing now, posting later when I'm not so tired and sick. smile.gif

MM and welcome Welcome.gif Hope you feel better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostSo, I'm thinking about Imbolc. Generally, I treat it as a celebration that we are almost through the winter, but this year...it feels like winter never came. I always prefer rituals that focus on seasonal changes. Any thoughts? We're be making candles for sure, but I'm not sure what else.

It feels like winter hasn't got here, yet, either. Now, normally being in WNC and in the south, we have a rather mild one anyway-- 30-40* in the day, 19* at night, snow sometimes but not more than an inch or so, which doesn't ever stick more than a day or two. We've had nothing. I'm wearing sweatshirts and a scarf in the daytime, and the scarf is shed by 2pm-ish latest. GRRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostHoping your DH's eye appointment goes well! How awesome to be able to see out of that eye! 

yeahthat.gif

I'd totally forgotten that he had no sight in it at all. That is truly awesome. I hope you find a van soon! Lioness, why don't you try to find the same one you said you liked? Instead of a different kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostSo, what is everyone reading?

I'm reading Vickie Lane "In A Dark Season". I loved her "Day of Small Things", as it takes place in my area, but I didn't realize this new one is a mystery. Oh well. I'm not a big mystery fan, but it's interesting, and it also takes place in my area, naming specific places and really capturing the accent.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#71 of 186 Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

I just finished Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn. Shinn writes a good solid fantasy story with a nice dose of romance to boot. She does a fabulous job of it. Now I'm ready Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card. DH is a huge Card fan and I enjoy his writing quite a bit as well. Jury is still out on Pathfinder as I'm not even three chapters in, but so far so good!

#72 of 186 Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:

I just finished Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn. Shinn writes a good solid fantasy story with a nice dose of romance to boot. She does a fabulous job of it. Now I'm ready Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card. DH is a huge Card fan and I enjoy his writing quite a bit as well. Jury is still out on Pathfinder as I'm not even three chapters in, but so far so good!

I love Sharon Shinn and actually have Pathfinder out from the library for the second time.  Somehow, I thought it was a sequel.  May reread it - it has a really interesting premise! --  but my favorite Card novel is still Pastwatch.  I have a bunch of L. E. Modesitt novels out too, and have been rereading bits of the Tamora Pierce novels that my daughter has been signing out.

Just finished Lauren Oliver's Delirium, which is wonderful - can't wait for the sequel.  I'm reading The Hobbit with my boys, rather slowly, about a chapter every Saturday. The eagles have just rescued Bilbo and Company from the goblins and wargs....

My family attended an exhibit of artifacts from the Titanic in a city near us with a gift cert we received for Christmas.  It was pretty cool.  We were each given a "boarding pass" with the ID of an actual passenger, matched to our genders, and at the end of the tour, we got to see if our person had survived or not.  My dd and I were a mother and daughter who traveled first class, and survived, while Dh and the boys were a dad and two sons, third class passengers who perished.  There was a great discussion afterwards between the children of various ways the passengers could have been saved.  I am almost ready to dig up the James Cameron movie, which my children have never seen.  The gift shop was selling small fragments of the ship for $20 a pop.  I love that sort of thing usually - I have a stash of stones and dried flowers from various locations I've been to that I use in rituals and spells sometimes, but wouldn't want a bit of the TItanic in the house.  Too much pain and bad fortune associated with that bit of corroded metal, besides being a very expensive bit of corroded metal!

#73 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:

So, the baby is still there and healthy. 

Fantastic news! 

Quote:

Redveg - That's my ex.  I'm 5'6", he's 5'5"ish and only a few pounds heavier.  And before him I was dating a boy who was an inch shorter and another 20 pounds lighter.  It's really nice to finally be with a man who doesn't make me feel like a big gangly monster.

My DH is on the slim side and me, not so much.  If he stands behind me you can't see him:)  I am trying to change that with diet and exercise though. When we first met I could fit in his pants, now I couldn't get them past my calves!

Quote:

Dang, that's not encouraging at all greensad.gif So wait, though-- Your one that can only see her side, or your DS who corrects everything; mine is a combo of those two. Yesterday I said "Is it more important to be kind, or to be right?"-- I think he is still too young to get that. But he's smart enough to consider it.

Sigh.

So-- what do you do? When he gets like that? I mostly scream my fool head off, because mostly ds will not shut up under pain of death, and after a point, his voice is like an icepick in my ear...and when we have nothing to do, I can go in my room and put in earplugs and try to calm down, but usually he pulls this shite when we have exactly one hour to get out the door for school, or when he has to get to bed on a weeknight. Heavy sigh.

I haven't always been calm.  I so know where you are coming from!  There are still times when I lose it.  Right now I am in the I refuse to engage stage.  I am always saying just because you are ready to talk does not mean I am ready to talk/listen.  My DD is a last word kid too, walking to her room still having a conversation just to get the last word and try to get the conversation tipping to the yelling stage.  It's amazing how quickly she can push buttons and get the entire house in a rumble.  I swear if I didn't laugh sometimes I would be crying and pulling my hair out.  When DD gets in her moods there is no talking to her, it's seems like no matter what I do, don't do, say. don't say it does not matter she is just looking for someone to engage, to get it out.  Sometimes I worry she doesn't like it here and when she goes to college she won't ever come back:(  I only know one thing for sure it is very frustrating!

Quote:

I don't know what his problem is. Surely you'd think it'd be easier to just get along. Today was another one! Half a freaking day of school, and he got written up in school because...get this, he didn't want to go outside for recess. Apparently he asked the asst.teacher if he could stay in the classroom and read his book. She said no, everyone has to stay together. Got outside, did a head count, DS was not there, he'd decided he had the right to stay in the classroom anyway.

And THEN, proceeded to make up a story, and believe it, that he'd asked and was given permission-by-omission (she didn't expressly say NO, she just said "everybody has to go out") and then gave major attitude about it. MAJOR. On his "infraction paper" you're supposed to finish questions/statements such as "What happened was..." and "My behavior affected others by..." and "Next time I will..." and his huge attitude shone right through on the paper bigeyes.gif So I made him write it over and when he did, it said "My mom throttled me against the wall", so I made him write a third one, and still he was crying and playing the victim. Amazing what he will go through, and put other people through...you'd really think behaving is easier.

M helped me through it in a major way. I'm much calmer, but why the eff does he have to do this???

Anything by omission is my DD!  This kid will stick to a story I know is not true because I didn't word the question, quote in the exact same way she did.  I feel like a cop when I am talking to her asking the same thing in every possible way I can think of in hopes I get it how she said it.  She also can play the Victim like a pro! Everything is because of someone else.  It's good that you have M to talk to about it and get a males perspective.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#74 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 AM

Morning all,

Right now I am reading nothing for fun:(  It's all nutrition stuff. 

Things have been wild here the last 2 weeks.  My pig YodaMae cannot use her back legs.  I had the vet come out the day after I noticed it and a week ago tomorrow, and she is coming out tomorrow again to have another look.  I have been so stressed about the decision I am going to have to make:(  She eats, drinks, uses the potty (on training pads) but can't stand. I have to change and check on her every 2 hours. I can tell she is not happy, wants to get out but is not able.  Last night she started screaming at 4a because she fell over too far on her side and could not get up, so to me this is a move in the wrong direction.  I just feel so guilty because in every way, except the back legs, she is fine. I feel like I am a murderer if I go with the putting her down decision and I feel selfish if I keep her the way she is for too long if there is not going to be any improvement. I just don't want her to suffer in any way.  I just wish I could fix her:(

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#75 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Oooh right now:

2-hour Tarot Reading by Wilma Carroll as I'm playing with my new cards.  It's actually making more sense on how to read the cards vs. having to look up the meanings.

Urban Magick by Christopher Penczak

Pride & Prejudice

I just finished over the holidays Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott - which was a very nice read. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#76 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Morning all,

Things have been wild here the last 2 weeks.  My pig YodaMae cannot use her back legs.  I had the vet come out the day after I noticed it and a week ago tomorrow, and she is coming out tomorrow again to have another look.  I have been so stressed about the decision I am going to have to make:(  She eats, drinks, uses the potty (on training pads) but can't stand. I have to change and check on her every 2 hours. I can tell she is not happy, wants to get out but is not able.  Last night she started screaming at 4a because she fell over too far on her side and could not get up, so to me this is a move in the wrong direction.  I just feel so guilty because in every way, except the back legs, she is fine. I feel like I am a murderer if I go with the putting her down decision and I feel selfish if I keep her the way she is for too long if there is not going to be any improvement. I just don't want her to suffer in any way.  I just wish I could fix her:(

hug2.gif  You will come to the right decision for YodaMae, I'm sending you hugs and strength right now.  hug2.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#77 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Good lord, Maia. I'd be yelling my fool head off at that point, too. Wish I could do more for you, but all I can do is offer a virtual hug soo....hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I love Sharon Shinn and actually have Pathfinder out from the library for the second time.  Somehow, I thought it was a sequel.  May reread it - it has a really interesting premise! --  but my favorite Card novel is still Pastwatch.  I have a bunch of L. E. Modesitt novels out too, and have been rereading bits of the Tamora Pierce novels that my daughter has been signing out.

Just finished Lauren Oliver's Delirium, which is wonderful - can't wait for the sequel.  I'm reading The Hobbit with my boys, rather slowly, about a chapter every Saturday. The eagles have just rescued Bilbo and Company from the goblins and wargs....

My family attended an exhibit of artifacts from the Titanic in a city near us with a gift cert we received for Christmas.  It was pretty cool.  We were each given a "boarding pass" with the ID of an actual passenger, matched to our genders, and at the end of the tour, we got to see if our person had survived or not.  My dd and I were a mother and daughter who traveled first class, and survived, while Dh and the boys were a dad and two sons, third class passengers who perished.  There was a great discussion afterwards between the children of various ways the passengers could have been saved.  I am almost ready to dig up the James Cameron movie, which my children have never seen.  The gift shop was selling small fragments of the ship for $20 a pop.  I love that sort of thing usually - I have a stash of stones and dried flowers from various locations I've been to that I use in rituals and spells sometimes, but wouldn't want a bit of the TItanic in the house.  Too much pain and bad fortune associated with that bit of corroded metal, besides being a very expensive bit of corroded metal!

I thought Pathfinder was the start of a series but I'm not sure now? I did just find out they are making it into a movie, though. I'm hoping its a good one! I heard OSC finally got a screenplay for Ender's Game that he likes so that will be made into a movie soon, too. Here's hoping, I'd love love love to see that as a film!

Quote:

Morning all,

I must've missed or forgotten about YodaMae, I'm sorry! I'm so sorry to hear that she's not doing well. You are in a tough situation, I feel for you. I hope you are able to come to a good, peaceful decision!

Holy cranky teething babies...its going to be a long long day at this rate...

#78 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:

This morning was DD's first day at her new school. We switched her because her first school did not seem to have a clue. It was a Montessori charter and lets just say its was more Lord of the Flies than Montessori. So we go outside so I can take DD to school and what is there but this beautiful, round, white, huge moon setting in the west. We were lucky enough to have it in sight the whole way to school and it really comforted DD, who was of course pretty nervous. She was glad to think that the Goddess was blessing her on the first day of school. love.gif It was sweet. In the fifteen minutes between pulling into the parking lot, taking DD inside and coming back out, the sun had risen into a beautiful, crisp day. I'm taking that as a good omen for this school and the rest of the year. thumb.gif

How'd her first day of school go?

Quote:

I just finished The Room by Emma Donoghue, which I really liked. Currently I'm reading Seduced by Moonlight in the Meredith Gentry series. It definitely is Pagan fiction, but like most of Hamilton's work, there's a lot, lot, lot of sex...and I think her books would be more interesting with a whole lot less sex.

Quote:

I heard OSC finally got a screenplay for Ender's Game that he likes so that will be made into a movie soon, too. Here's hoping, I'd love love love to see that as a film!

I hope so. I loved that book as a child, but it's been years since I read it.

We've had a rough morning. Because of our trip, I haven't done the grocery shopping for the week yet, so we have no food. I try to get us all to the store, but my eldest keeps screaming, hitting me, telling me she wants to kill me over wanting one of her younger sibling's toys that he doesn't want to share. We didn't make it to the store. Now, she won't stop whining about how she's hungry, and nothing we have she wants to eat. banghead.gif

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#79 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostI haven't always been calm.  I so know where you are coming from!  There are still times when I lose it.  Right now I am in the I refuse to engage stage.  I am always saying just because you are ready to talk does not mean I am ready to talk/listen.  My DD is a last word kid too, walking to her room still having a conversation just to get the last word and try to get the conversation tipping to the yelling stage.  It's amazing how quickly she can push buttons and get the entire house in a rumble.  I swear if I didn't laugh sometimes I would be crying and pulling my hair out.  When DD gets in her moods there is no talking to her, it's seems like no matter what I do, don't do, say. don't say it does not matter she is just looking for someone to engage, to get it out.  Sometimes I worry she doesn't like it here and when she goes to college she won't ever come back:(  I only know one thing for sure it is very frustrating!

Anything by omission is my DD!  This kid will stick to a story I know is not true because I didn't word the question, quote in the exact same way she did.  I feel like a cop when I am talking to her asking the same thing in every possible way I can think of in hopes I get it how she said it.  She also can play the Victim like a pro! Everything is because of someone else.  It's good that you have M to talk to about it and get a males perspective.

Ye Gods. I keep hoping this will freaking end by the time he's your kids' ages, but I am feeling less and less confident about that. All I can really hope for is that his good side shines out and he does not end up in an orange jumpsuit. Or dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostThings have been wild here the last 2 weeks.  My pig YodaMae cannot use her back legs.  I had the vet come out the day after I noticed it and a week ago tomorrow, and she is coming out tomorrow again to have another look.  I have been so stressed about the decision I am going to have to make:(  She eats, drinks, uses the potty (on training pads) but can't stand. I have to change and check on her every 2 hours. I can tell she is not happy, wants to get out but is not able.  Last night she started screaming at 4a because she fell over too far on her side and could not get up, so to me this is a move in the wrong direction.  I just feel so guilty because in every way, except the back legs, she is fine. I feel like I am a murderer if I go with the putting her down decision and I feel selfish if I keep her the way she is for too long if there is not going to be any improvement. I just don't want her to suffer in any way.  I just wish I could fix her:(

Aww! Poor YodaMae hug2.gifYou aren't a murderer, redveg; sometimes euthanasia is the kindest thing.

Nutrition: Have you read Gary Taubes? I am getting ready to maybe OWN "Why We Get Fat..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostNow, she won't stop whining about how she's hungry, and nothing we have she wants to eat. banghead.gif

Don't you hate that? I'm very much anymore "Oh well, they'll eat whatever I serve them when they're hungry enough". If ds says he doesn't want <insert food here> then I say he must not be truly hungry.

This morning started off very much angsty again irked.gif I got right down in ds's face and I said "You have 30 minutes till we leave for school. You better change your attitude around right now , or when you get home, you will be grounded from all toys, electronics, and books. You will lay on your bed till bedtime with nothing to do. And if you get another infraction paper at school, you will be grounded from all toys, electronics, and books. You will lay on your bed till bedtime with nothing to do. Are you understanding me?"

GRRR. To his credit, he stopped. AND he shut up.

To my discredit-- mamas, I am ashamed of myself and scared of my own anger, sometimes. I didn't throttle my boy, but I did have my hand over his shoulder, very near his neck, and I pushed him down on the bed that way. I was VERY pushed to my limit. But I need to be honest and put it down in writing so that it doesn't happen again. I will never admit it to ds, but my own behavior that day really scared me.

DOK: mind PMing me your address? My ds has something he wants to send to yours (hint: Ben10 stuff).

#80 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Hoping your DH's eye appointment goes well! How awesome to be able to see out of that eye! If you don't mind my asking, what happened when he was 15?

Hooray for baby kicks! That's one of the most awesome feelings!! And sleep...ahhh sleep is so wonderful. Glad you're getting some. Good sleep will go miles in helping you feel better!

Crossing your fingers that you find a good van ASAP!

we arent sure what happened. it could have been trauma related (he had an abusive step father) or it could have been genetic. but he developed a cataract in that eye. his mom could have had it taken care of then but didnt for some unknown reason. so as soon as we had available insurance for him we took care of it. they said he still has some blood floating around in there that interferes with sight but that it looks like it is clearing up on it s own. he might not need a second surgery to remove the blood. they also said his retina is perfect with no detachments so it is useable. they think it looks good for him to recover sight. he might need glasses but he will see stuff out of it. 

kicks are still sporadic but i am only 16 weeks. but sleeping through the night is awesome. 

the only van i can find is awesome except for the head gasket leak. they keep calling me and saying how they fixed this and that but they never admit they had a head gasket leak. they keep saying it is an intake leak even though my mechanic said it was the head gasket. if they call back again and say the fixed the supposed intake leak, i have a friend mechanic willing to look at it too. i will get a second opinion on it. my options are limited. but i am going to get on yellow book online and start calling every car lot i can find to ask what they got. i didnt realize it would be this hard to find an 8 seat van :/

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#81 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM

If anyone is on pinterest they have a lot of great ideas for Valentines day that would work for Imbolc. I want to make the conversation heart recipe, so we can make our own sentiments.

My older girls were in a mood today. Middle dd sidn't sleep well, which really makes for a rough day. I had to send her to her room curse I was out of ideas and nothing was working. When she is tired, she just falls apart. I was thinking of having her try a remedy, while trying to tether to sleep at an earlier time. She goes to bed at 7 but sometimes doesn't fall asleep until late. Iunderstandhow hard it is to function when you are tired, I mean I get it but she is just unbearable. Her cheeks also broke out, so I am wondering if it is a food allergy bothering her.

#82 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Check these out:

http://suchprettythings.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/sugar-hearts.html

They are so easy! I have made them before. They get super hard so are rather like candy than fizzling-falling-apart-sugar. And very cute.

Also check this out:

http://www.druidry.org/obod/festivals/imbolc/imbolc_susa/practicum.html

#83 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Love the sugar hearts! Might try to make some with fruit juice instead of food coloring and water... I'll need frozen Rasberries and Blueberries...

Valérie   
#84 of 186 Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 PM

Maia, I am so sorry your son had a bad day again.  I truly hope that he will start growing out of his rebellion, and turn into the thoughtful and kind teenager that a smart kid like him can be.

Redveg, I know how hard it is to decide to put a pet down.  Huge hugs to you.  I know you'll make the best decision for her - and I know that you'll always wonder "did I do enough?", but it's better to wonder that than to stretch out a life that doesn't have the quality that it should.  I've been there.  It'll be ok.

Lioness, I'm so happy to hear about your husband's eye, and that the blood is starting to fade.  I'm blind in one eye, so I understand what a gift it is for him to regain his sight.

I think my morning sickness is starting to fade.  My heartache over the Disney Incident of 2012 continues, though.  Tonight I was told that I can go - as long as I can cough up the $500 for the plane and park ticket.  My poor ex even offered to let me stay in his hotal room, because he really wants me to be able to go.  It won't happen though, we don't have $500 to spare.  Every extra penny we have has to go into savings for our move out to the farm.

I'm trying to think of a camping trip or something that I can take Badger on this summer, just so he has a vacation with each parent.  I'm stumped.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#85 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

How'd her first day of school go?

I just finished The Room by Emma Donoghue, which I really liked. Currently I'm reading Seduced by Moonlight in the Meredith Gentry series. It definitely is Pagan fiction, but like most of Hamilton's work, there's a lot, lot, lot of sex...and I think her books would be more interesting with a whole lot less sex.

I hope so. I loved that book as a child, but it's been years since I read it.

We've had a rough morning. Because of our trip, I haven't done the grocery shopping for the week yet, so we have no food. I try to get us all to the store, but my eldest keeps screaming, hitting me, telling me she wants to kill me over wanting one of her younger sibling's toys that he doesn't want to share. We didn't make it to the store. Now, she won't stop whining about how she's hungry, and nothing we have she wants to eat. banghead.gif

Her first day went pretty well, thanks for asking! In her own words, it was "awesome" so I think that's a good thing. thumb.gif She rode the bus for the first time yesterday and absolutely loved it. I'm pretty excited about the bus, too. Makes life a lot easier on me! I'm very very happy with switching her school. It has definitely seemed like the best thing for everyone.

Ender's Game is DH's favorite book ever. He's somewhere between really wanting to see it as a film and really worried it will be ruined. 

Sorry about your rough morning yesterday. Today is a new day and hopefully a much better day!

Quote:

Ye Gods. I keep hoping this will freaking end by the time he's your kids' ages, but I am feeling less and less confident about that. All I can really hope for is that his good side shines out and he does not end up in an orange jumpsuit. Or dead.

This morning started off very much angsty again irked.gif I got right down in ds's face and I said "You have 30 minutes till we leave for school. You better change your attitude around right now , or when you get home, you will be grounded from all toys, electronics, and books. You will lay on your bed till bedtime with nothing to do. And if you get another infraction paper at school, you will be grounded from all toys, electronics, and books. You will lay on your bed till bedtime with nothing to do. Are you understanding me?"

GRRR. To his credit, he stopped. AND he shut up.

To my discredit-- mamas, I am ashamed of myself and scared of my own anger, sometimes. I didn't throttle my boy, but I did have my hand over his shoulder, very near his neck, and I pushed him down on the bed that way. I was VERY pushed to my limit. But I need to be honest and put it down in writing so that it doesn't happen again. I will never admit it to ds, but my own behavior that day really scared me.

hug2.gifYou stopped yourself and that's what really counts. I remember the first thing my FIL told DH and I when we found out I was pregnant with DD (well, after all the freaking out occurred). He said "You will understand why people beat their kids. Not condone it or do it, but understand." OMG, so true! And your DS is a special case beyond the norm, sweet and lovable and fantastic, but difficult. Don't beat yourself up, mama. It happens to us all and it did not get out of hand and that's the important part. 

Quote:

we arent sure what happened. it could have been trauma related (he had an abusive step father) or it could have been genetic. but he developed a cataract in that eye. his mom could have had it taken care of then but didnt for some unknown reason. so as soon as we had available insurance for him we took care of it. they said he still has some blood floating around in there that interferes with sight but that it looks like it is clearing up on it s own. he might not need a second surgery to remove the blood. they also said his retina is perfect with no detachments so it is useable. they think it looks good for him to recover sight. he might need glasses but he will see stuff out of it. 

kicks are still sporadic but i am only 16 weeks. but sleeping through the night is awesome. 

the only van i can find is awesome except for the head gasket leak. they keep calling me and saying how they fixed this and that but they never admit they had a head gasket leak. they keep saying it is an intake leak even though my mechanic said it was the head gasket. if they call back again and say the fixed the supposed intake leak, i have a friend mechanic willing to look at it too. i will get a second opinion on it. my options are limited. but i am going to get on yellow book online and start calling every car lot i can find to ask what they got. i didnt realize it would be this hard to find an 8 seat van :/

Yikes! Well, I'm glad that its getting taken care of for him now! 

Do they no longer make the type of van you had and liked before? 

Quote:

I think my morning sickness is starting to fade.  My heartache over the Disney Incident of 2012 continues, though.  Tonight I was told that I can go - as long as I can cough up the $500 for the plane and park ticket.  My poor ex even offered to let me stay in his hotal room, because he really wants me to be able to go.  It won't happen though, we don't have $500 to spare.  Every extra penny we have has to go into savings for our move out to the farm.

I'm trying to think of a camping trip or something that I can take Badger on this summer, just so he has a vacation with each parent.  I'm stumped.

Gods, that really is a bummer, Feral! I would not be able to pull $500 out of my behind, either. When is the trip scheduled for? Is there any anything you can cut out and put the money towards? Like one year DH cut his smoking in half and put the extra money towards a small weekend get away. Also, tax time is coming up. For something that is this important to you and your child, it may be worth taking some of the tax return and putting it towards this. Otherwise, basically any state park around here has camping--the real kind with tents and no electrical outlets. Maybe something like that? Or a hotel with a pool for a night. Water parks. Make a weekend out of going to a Ren Faire. Take a weekend and hit several kid places-zoo, museums, parks etc. hug2.gif Whatever you come up with, its the time with you that is what is really special to Badger.

Glad the morning sickness is fading, though! That can be the absolute worst. 

#86 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

I'm currently reading 3 books.  "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Kingsolver, "Remains of the Day" by Ishiguro and "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" - all are very good and thought provoking.  I'm aLmost done with Remains so need another fiction book to throw in the mix.  I read fiction in bed so I need things that aren't too heavy, kwim?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

That sounds really, really good.  I might have to check that out!! 

Quote:

Wow, redveg.  I am sorry that you and YodaMae are going through this.  I am sure you both will come to the right decision.  I am a firm believer that animals tell you when they are ready to go.  I will be thinking of you and sending you comforting energy.

T

Quote:

Check these out:

http://suchprettythings.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/sugar-hearts.html

They are so easy! I have made them before. They get super hard so are rather like candy than fizzling-falling-apart-sugar. And very cute.

Also check this out:

http://www.druidry.org/obod/festivals/imbolc/imbolc_susa/practicum.html

AWESOME!!!  Last year I made sugar cookies and wanted to do something different this year.  Thanks, too, for the second link.  It is weird to be celebrating getting half way through the winter when winter is missing.  It's weird, right?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Love the sugar hearts! Might try to make some with fruit juice instead of food coloring and water... I'll need frozen Rasberries and Blueberries...

Valerie, please let us know how this goes.  I think that sounds like a great modification!

Quote:

I hope you can find a way to come to a peaceful place on the Disney Incident.  I will keep hope for you that something amazing comes around and you are able to go!  What is Badger in to?  Could you make your camping trip a theme based around it?  That could be really fun.  

Quote:

Her first day went pretty well, thanks for asking! In her own words, it was "awesome" so I think that's a good thing. thumb.gif She rode the bus for the first time yesterday and absolutely loved it. I'm pretty excited about the bus, too. Makes life a lot easier on me! I'm very very happy with switching her school. It has definitely seemed like the best thing for everyone.

hug2.gifYou stopped yourself and that's what really counts. I remember the first thing my FIL told DH and I when we found out I was pregnant with DD (well, after all the freaking out occurred). He said "You will understand why people beat their kids. Not condone it or do it, but understand." OMG, so true! And your DS is a special case beyond the norm, sweet and lovable and fantastic, but difficult. Don't beat yourself up, mama. It happens to us all and it did not get out of hand and that's the important part. 

Hooray for your daughter's "AWESOME" school! yayayay!!  Glad it's working out for everyone!  

MY FIL said something VERY VERY similar to me, 3x!! haha.  And you know, they are right.  I agree with you - knowing you're getting to your breaking point and being able to take a step back (no matter how small) is the important thing.  You are very, very strong Ms. Maia!!!  I'm glad that M was able to help you.  I hope that you all will be together geographically soon!!  

Nothing much is goign on here.  Z got a push along trike from her grandparents so with the nice weather we've been able to get out and "ride" nearly every day.  Also, my breadmaker got a life of it's own and jumped off the counter this morning while making a loaf.  Something is going on with the little paddly thing inside.  I hope I can figure it out because I do NOT want to have to buy a new one.  It was the weirdest thing.  ha. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#87 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM

off mdc for a few days and wow!  Hugs congrats and hugs and hopes to all.

Feral- Yay for the babe!  Boo for the ongoing disney drama though.  I hope it woks out the way you hope, but do agree that it's not the money that makes the memory.  And maybe instead of visiting one of the parks, you could go one one of the Disney cruises when everyone is older?  Similar but different and a lot more affordable in some ways.

Ouch to all the mamas dealing with kiddo craziness.  Hang in there!  Different kids at different moments need different approaches.  I saw an episode of Supernanny and while I've always avoided her because of her sleep training issues I found her approach with older kids appealing.  Sort of a structured time out system.  I don't know that it would work for my kids, and I'm leery of time outs in general, but maybe!  But the thing is... we can only do our best and kids are pros at pushing buttons and energy and sometimes our best might not look like much from the outside.  But it's still our best.

I think I saw some new subs to the thread?  Welcome!

Hugs to those helping companions and family ride the tides between life and death.  (((hugs)))

reading- various books in the Dresden Files series, the Mysterious Benedict Society, various Pratchett books (specifically Snuff, Thud, Making Money, and Going Postal), Viridis (on my kindle Cari- I just finished Gossamer Gate btw), and a few others.  But keep in mind I'm a reading fiend and can read a 500 page book in an average day while still homeschooling/cleaning/making dinner/walking.

my news... I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  At the local mama thrift store.  My life is going to be full full though so I may not be online as much.  I'll be working all day Sat, most of the day Sun, and some evenings/nights.  So ouch and yay at the same time!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#88 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostLove the sugar hearts! Might try to make some with fruit juice instead of food coloring and water... I'll need frozen Rasberries and Blueberries...

Dunno if you can do that...it doesn't take much coloring at all. Teeny tiny bits, because you're going for the pastel effect, but maybe you can get some of those non-artificially-colored food colorings. I mean really, when I did it, it only took a couple of drops for the whole thing. And half of them are white so you don't color those at all.

Ye Gods, mamas, it is POURING out there. Pouring. We haven't had a rain like this in forever. There's flood watches (warnings? Not sure which is which). Glad I'm on high ground, cause my yard is very, very soggy. You know when my yard is soggy, it's something else out there. Holy cow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View PostMaia, I am so sorry your son had a bad day again.  I truly hope that he will start growing out of his rebellion, and turn into the thoughtful and kind teenager that a smart kid like him can be.

Thank you, Feral. He IS a smart kid, and a really sweet one, too. He's like Jekyll and Hyde. No in-between at all, really. And his sweet side is amazing. Thank you for the hope; I hope so, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Posthug2.gifYou stopped yourself and that's what really counts. I remember the first thing my FIL told DH and I when we found out I was pregnant with DD (well, after all the freaking out occurred). He said "You will understand why people beat their kids. Not condone it or do it, but understand." OMG, so true! And your DS is a special case beyond the norm, sweet and lovable and fantastic, but difficult. Don't beat yourself up, mama. It happens to us all and it did not get out of hand and that's the important part. 

Otherwise, basically any state park around here has camping--the real kind with tents and no electrical outlets. Maybe something like that? Or a hotel with a pool for a night. Water parks. Make a weekend out of going to a Ren Faire. Take a weekend and hit several kid places-zoo, museums, parks etc. hug2.gif Whatever you come up with, its the time with you that is what is really special to Badger.

I would never, ever hurt my kid for real, and I know that, but man-- it's so scary how close I can get once in awhile. The last time I did anything like that was years ago, and I scared myself then.

But yeah-- ITA with your FIL. He's so right. Remember that lady who got caught on tape wailing on her kid in the parking lot? The kid was maybe 4, and was strapped in, and the mom was standing outside the open back car door just going to town on her little girl for whatever reason. It was just awful. But in my heart of hearts, I so understood that frustration.

What you said about taking Badger on special trips. He will remember the special Mama times, I promise, not what bigger-better-faster-more the other side of the family provides. The hotel with a pool sounds SO divine; all kids love that!! My brother only booked hotels with pools anytime they had to take their dd's anywhere. It was this HUGE special treat for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostIt is weird to be celebrating getting half way through the winter when winter is missing.  It's weird, right?  

You are very, very strong Ms. Maia!!!  I'm glad that M was able to help you.  I hope that you all will be together geographically soon!!  

Also, my breadmaker got a life of it's own and jumped off the counter this morning while making a loaf.  Something is going on with the little paddly thing inside.  I hope I can figure it out because I do NOT want to have to buy a new one.  It was the weirdest thing.  ha. 

Yes. It's weird. No winter here, either. While I love the rain, I can't help but wonder how much snow it would be, if it were snow. M said 1" of rain is like a foot of snow. Is that true? If it is, we'd have feet by now, probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostI saw an episode of Supernanny and while I've always avoided her because of her sleep training issues I found her approach with older kids appealing.  Sort of a structured time out system. 

But keep in mind I'm a reading fiend and can read a 500 page book in an average day while still homeschooling/cleaning/making dinner/walking.

my news... I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  At the local mama thrift store.  My life is going to be full full though so I may not be online as much.  I'll be working all day Sat, most of the day Sun, and some evenings/nights.  So ouch and yay at the same time!

Do you remember what she did, with the olders? I'd be interested in hearing it. That's the British lady, right? I've seen that show. All I can ever think is those families have too much money, are way too immature to have kids, and have been raising brats bag.gif  Actually in most all of the situations I saw, I don't blame her a bit for her heavy handedness.

Clay. You are Superwoman. I swear. Srsly, with all you do, you can still pack away 500 pages a day??? How in the freak do you do that. I had a friend like that. I do believe they have six kids now, but when we were friends she'd just had her fourth. She went through nursing school, passed, got her RN, went through midwifery school, worked part time as a nurse, they were vegan in a place that was decidedly not vegan-friendly (so very labor intensive), AP'd the kids, cloth diped them all, sewed and made their dipes and clothes and dipe covers and slings, made gifts and birthday cakes for friends...the list went on and on. All while she was having and nursing babies. And homeschooling most of the older ones...at the time, they were none of them old enough for school anyway.

One time I asked her "How much sleep do you require?" and she said "8 hours". I said "How much do you get?" "4". And she never, ever looked tired or wiped out. I do not know how she does it. I'd give anything for that kind of energy. She's on here, somewhere, I think.

Congrats on the job! That sounds so fun. I'd love a job like that.

#89 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

AWESOME!!!  Last year I made sugar cookies and wanted to do something different this year.  Thanks, too, for the second link.  It is weird to be celebrating getting half way through the winter when winter is missing.  It's weird, right? 

Hooray for your daughter's "AWESOME" school! yayayay!!  Glad it's working out for everyone!  

Nothing much is goign on here.  Z got a push along trike from her grandparents so with the nice weather we've been able to get out and "ride" nearly every day.  Also, my breadmaker got a life of it's own and jumped off the counter this morning while making a loaf.  Something is going on with the little paddly thing inside.  I hope I can figure it out because I do NOT want to have to buy a new one.  It was the weirdest thing.  ha. 

Its weird, all right. We've got a ton of rain today and tomorrow the temp is going to drop and its going to snow. Only a couple of inches so I'm not too worried about that, just about all the water and it freezing on the roads causing ice....

Thanks! I was pretty concerned about switching her but I'm super glad we did.

I prefer to make bread on my own. I've not heard of many good results from bread machines, though I do like the idea of it. I'm thinking about getting one on the cheap from Goodwill or something just to see if I like it. I don't care of kneading by hand. I'm lazy that way. orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

reading- various books in the Dresden Files series, the Mysterious Benedict Society, various Pratchett books (specifically Snuff, Thud, Making Money, and Going Postal), Viridis (on my kindle Cari- I just finished Gossamer Gate btw), and a few others.  But keep in mind I'm a reading fiend and can read a 500 page book in an average day while still homeschooling/cleaning/making dinner/walking.

If I were to sit and read like that (and I have) I cannot get anything else done. Not only because I don't read quite that fast, but because I will get caught up in the story and I won't be able to focus on much of anything else, like my kids and their need to eat! I actually had to stop reading for awhile because I pulled so far away from my family. 

Congrats on your job!!! It sounds fantastic! And since its a mama thrift store, hopefully they will be able to work with you and your family needs well. Hope you get a few hours in for some sleeping!

Quote:

I would never, ever hurt my kid for real, and I know that, but man-- it's so scary how close I can get once in awhile. The last time I did anything like that was years ago, and I scared myself then.

But yeah-- ITA with your FIL. He's so right. Remember that lady who got caught on tape wailing on her kid in the parking lot? The kid was maybe 4, and was strapped in, and the mom was standing outside the open back car door just going to town on her little girl for whatever reason. It was just awful. But in my heart of hearts, I so understood that frustration.

Yes. It's weird. No winter here, either. While I love the rain, I can't help but wonder how much snow it would be, if it were snow. M said 1" of rain is like a foot of snow. Is that true? If it is, we'd have feet by now, probably.

Do you remember what she did, with the olders? I'd be interested in hearing it. That's the British lady, right? I've seen that show. All I can ever think is those families have too much money, are way too immature to have kids, and have been raising brats bag.gif  Actually in most all of the situations I saw, I don't blame her a bit for her heavy handedness.

Clay. You are Superwoman. I swear. Srsly, with all you do, you can still pack away 500 pages a day??? How in the freak do you do that. I had a friend like that. I do believe they have six kids now, but when we were friends she'd just had her fourth. She went through nursing school, passed, got her RN, went through midwifery school, worked part time as a nurse, they were vegan in a place that was decidedly not vegan-friendly (so very labor intensive), AP'd the kids, cloth diped them all, sewed and made their dipes and clothes and dipe covers and slings, made gifts and birthday cakes for friends...the list went on and on. All while she was having and nursing babies. And homeschooling most of the older ones...at the time, they were none of them old enough for school anyway.

One time I asked her "How much sleep do you require?" and she said "8 hours". I said "How much do you get?" "4". And she never, ever looked tired or wiped out. I do not know how she does it. I'd give anything for that kind of energy. She's on here, somewhere, I think.

I've been pushed to the line, too. Like when DD decided to scream three inches from my face over and over and over because I needed her to do something and she refused...Lordy....I actually kind of like Supernanny. I'm always crazy appalled by what I see with the parents (like the mom who smacked her kids repeatedly because they kept hitting each other...HOW is that supposed to help, srsly?!?!). Money, immaturity, passivity (bargaining with your kid for two hours to get her to brush her teeth?! Please...), the list goes on. But I like to see how she comes in and gets those kids turned around in a few days. I know if I were those parents though, I'd want her to stay far longer than she does though! I think its on Netflix and I honestly may watch it and take notes. I don't agree with everything she does, but a few tips and tricks here and there may not go amiss...

I wish I could be like your friend, Maia! Or you, Clay! I'm so not good at keeping up with all the normal stuff-cooking cleaning and kids, much less adding anything else into the mix other than a few things for my sanity (reading and MDC!). I *can't* cut into my sleep though. I end up a total mean and cranky bear if I do that. Now that the boys are older and don't require quite so much from me and DD is at school for eight hours a day, I'm hoping to get more stuff done.

My dad had a dr appt today with his new orthopedic surgeon. The dr is pretty sure Dad's hip implant is loose from the femur being fractured for so long (six weeks!) before it was caught. So he wants to go in and completely replace the implant to secure it correctly and I guess the implant the first surgeon used is an outdated model that has had at least ten recalls in the past couple of years. New dr wants to use a newer and better model. Why the original dr didn't do that is beyond any of us, but whatever. Dad also has a plate and several cables in his hip to fix the fracture that this new dr wants to remove because they aren't working and are causing more harm than good. Which Dad agrees with, he said he feels as though is body is trying to reject the plate especially. So...yeah...*sigh* another surgery it is. He's scheduled it for two months out and will think about it between now and then and whether or not he wants to do it. There really isn't anything other than this he can do so its another surgery or live in horrible pain but he's not sure he's ready for another surgery. I really feel for him, he was supposed to have instant relief and here it is seven months later and he's in more pain now than he was before the surgery. We also only recently found out that osteonecrosis is a full body disease. The way the other drs have made it out is that it was confined to his hips but it can and will spread throughout all the bones in his body as time goes on. No treatment is available because its not terminal and very few people have it so no research is done on it. So he's just going to slowly and painfully deteriorate...shake.gif Its just not fair that such a nice guy should have to deal with this. Why is it that it seems like all the good people are the ones who struggle so much?? The ones who work hardest get the the least...It just galls me to no end...irked.gif Anyway, I just had to get that rant out.

Hope everyone is having a good day!!

#90 of 186 Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Lioness, I'm so happy to hear about your husband's eye, and that the blood is starting to fade.  I'm blind in one eye, so I understand what a gift it is for him to regain his sight.

he has been blind in it for 15 years and holds a grudge against his mom for not getting it fixed back then. he knows he prob wont regain full sight but any improvement is a win for him. he is getting excited about what he can see again. they still arent sure what caused the cataract and stuff. 

that is a bummer about the trip. but it sounds like your ex is trying to be nice about it even though he caused your upset in the first place. 

glad to hear the morning sickness is gone. mine didnt last long this time either. the emotional issues seemed to hang on forever. i am just now starting to feel like myself again. i even swept the floor and did lots of housework BEFORE getting on the pc. lol. now i need to rest though until dinner time. i hope you feel better and better the farther along you get!

Quote:

Yikes! Well, I'm glad that its getting taken care of for him now! 

Do they no longer make the type of van you had and liked before? 

they make the type but the 8 seats were optional. all the vans have 2 captains chairs for the 2nd row or a 2 person bench. i need 3 same size seats that fold forward to allow into the 3rd row. i looked into suvs. they remain a possibility but to get to the 3rd row is a tight squeeze and they suck  ore gas. the other option is a 12 seat full size van. it would also suck more gas and be more room than i need. i know the ones i want are out there. i have found one but it sucks and has a gasket leak that wold cost alot to fix. another car lot thought they were about to get one in on trade but the guy decided not to purchase there. so i keep looking. i might have to drive farther away to look. the one i like is like this...

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/ChevyVenture/Photos.htm

it has a lot of room to get in and buckle up the 3rd row car seat plus the rear facing can fit in the middle of the 2nd row even though the seat is folded up. i will need the space the bigger i get and i need it with my physical issues. i cant seem to find that kind of room with an suv. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

that is awesome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page