January Pagan Families - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 186 Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wishing everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous 2012!

My wish is that every single one of us in our pagan circle experiences at least one really big, fabulous event in 2012.  Whether it be an unexpected financial gain; A completely clean bill of health; A markedly positive change in their child; Or something that you've been hoping for... May it come to fruition this new year.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 186 Old 12-31-2011, 09:07 PM

Happy New Years all:)

DOK, what a wonderful wish for all.  I hope you experience all of them:)

I have been absent for a while, hoping to be back in the got my stuff together mode.  My health is taking a turn for the better, still have a bit to go but moving forward.  Good news, My DD Kelsey was accepted to the New England Culinary Institute!  So two down and one to go:) 

I hope to be able to post my word tomorrow:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#3 of 186 Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

I think my word will be:  Happiness

I want to be happy.  I want my son to have a happy childhood.

#4 of 186 Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

My wish is that every single one of us in our pagan circle experiences at least one really big, fabulous event in 2012.  Whether it be an unexpected financial gain; A completely clean bill of health; A markedly positive change in their child; Or something that you've been hoping for... May it come to fruition this new year.

Subbing! Great wish, DOK, and back atcha! I hope MY "big thing" is my house selling. But then, y'all know that.

It's so funny to crack people up, up here in MA...playing the "southern gal" card is a pisser lol.gif We went to a meeting this morning and I love to just drop "y'all" into conversation to see the reaction winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostGood news, My DD Kelsey was accepted to the New England Culinary Institute!  So two down and one to go:)

YAY! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostI think my word will be:  Happiness

Good. I am still not sure what mine is going to be, yet.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#5 of 186 Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 AM

What a great way to start off 2012, DoK!  Thank you!

Hooray and congrats to your DD, redveg!  I've missed your voice and glad to hear you're taking a turn for the better.

I'm beat.  I have been staying up FAR too late with DH since he's on vaca and we have baby-free time then but it is catching up with me!!!  nap time!!

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#6 of 186 Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Wonderful wishes! May you have a fabulous year too!

Clay, maybe you could rent a XBox 360 with Kinect and the Disneyland Adventures game  (http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Disneyland-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYYTK) ;-)

Mellow day... and we're invited at the IL's for supper so no cooking or baking for me today.

Valérie   
#7 of 186 Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Here are some that I found:

Possibility
Manifest
Determination
Listen
Motivation
Faith
Confidence
Trust
Inspire
Perspective
Intimacy
Commitment
Empower

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#8 of 186 Old 01-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Wishing everyone a "Lilac Double White Flower Essence" New Year.
Redirects our energies to those of renewal and rejuvenation. Great essences for recreating yourself, your work, your life. Blank slate, new start without having to "clean away or remove" anything in order to renew. Pure Positive Beginnings. Great for those at the doorway to new self. For those wanting to try and do something new because it's fun!

This is the thing from the Flower Essence Society Facebook page. I like! Good "New Year" stuff, eh?

#9 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 AM

Morning all:) 

One more day of vacation here, then DH back to work and kids back to school.  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I went off my diet a bit this weekend and now am so paying for it.  The dairy just kills me, I can't do it, I love it but am going to miss it:( 

One of my pigs, YodaMae (I adopted her)  Is having some spinal cord issues.  I went outside on Wednesday and she just could not walk.  Vet came out and we have her on bed rest, giving her meds but no improvement.  The vet is coming back on Thursday to help me decide what to do next.  We sort of all know what I have to do but it just plain stinks! 

I hope everyone has a great day, sun is shinning and it's not to bad here but things are changing!  I think it's only going to be in the teens tomorrow.

#10 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM

I think my word is going to be BELIEVE.

#11 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Happy New Year, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Oh man! I forgot what my 2011 word was. I know I liked it a whole bunch. Oh wait....I know it had something to do with acceptance of people...drat, it's right there, but I can't access it!  I will have to think on one for 2012. QUIET, maybe. As in shut UP; I talk too much. Or maybe I should choose LISTEN.

If you don't mine me asking, which stripe of Christian are you? How do you do both? We can PM if you'd rather, or you can just tell me I'm being nosy and to butt out winky.gif

Quiet is good. I actually thought about "No Comment" being my phrase for the year, but I decided to stick with MOVE.

A very religiously liberal one? LOL. What brought me to Paganism was Earth-worship, ancestor worship, and recognition of feminine divinity. What brought me back to Christianity was ancestor worship and Marcus Borg (specifically his ideas about Christianity, myths, and social justice). My ancestors as far back as I can trace have been Christians. Lutherans and Catholics, but I was raised Lutheran (the most liberal version of Lutheran - ELCA). Part of what made me hesitant about Paganism before I became one was the issue of cultural appropriation, and because so much of mainstream Paganism takes myths, deities, rituals from other cultures willy nilly, I stayed away from Paganism despite how much I loved parts of it. Finally, Starhawk's Earth Path converted me. For a long time, I focused on divinity as nature, particularly the patch of nature where I live, but I love Samhein, and I got more and more into ancestor worship from that. However, the most recent immigrant in my family tree are my great-great grandparents. My great grandmother spoke Lithuanian but didn't teach my father: assimilating into the culture was very important to them. While I do have an interest in learning more about indigenous religions and spiritiualities of Lithuania and Ireland, my ancestors of the last several centuries, any ancestors I can name, were Christian and I felt called to honor that of my ancestors, to center myself in the traditions, rituals, stories, and deities of my ancestors while adapting them to fit the the times and place (both geologically and politically) of where my family and I live now. So, when I name Gods or Goddesses, I name Hagar, Miriam, Mary, and Jesus. Many Pagans focus on folk tales and fairy tales, and while I do have a love for finding Irish and Lithuanian tales as well as the tales I grew up hearing, I focus on the ones I find in the Bible to work with. I think particularly when you are working with Christianity, it assimilated a lot of Paganism, and while not true for all Pagans, I think that a LOT of Paganism is influenced by Christianity (because most Pagan writers not only live in a Christian culture but came out of a Christian childhood). Just thinking of the holidays, we had a nativity scene out (traditional in my family) but the way I see the story of Jesus definitely incorporates Jesus's birth as the rebirth of the sun (as well as the call for political transformation that I believe the Gospel of Luke and Matthew call for). I hope that's a good answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Sharing the idea of year goals with the kids, dd1 decided her year goal would be going to Disneyland.  I tried to explain that the goal should be something more character based/personal/internal but she countered that Disney has "lots of characters" and that she'd be "a happier person at Disney" soooooo.... what can I say?  Maybe we'll figure out some way to do a "Disney at Home" adventure.  LOL

pagan home binder- since that thread isn't really hopping at the moment... how do people actually USE their binders?  I realized that while I love the idea of the binder, and enjoyed making it, I don't actually USE it for anything.  Do people really carry their binders around the house?  And if so, how does that work?  Or is it more like a reference book on the shelf, waiting for you to pull it down and check out what crafts you want to make for a specific holiday?  Right now I've got a small memo book/calendar thing in my bag that I've sort of adjusted to be a portable binder.  I'm not sure it'll work, but it might!  The clear cover of the calendar I folded over and it holds one of my Kitchen Tarot cards so I can take my daily card with me on the road, and the inner cover has pictures of my kiddos.  But again it's something I think I'll need to tweak.

Happy new years all, and don't forget all your good luck charms!  (we're going to get the chores done today so we can start the new years relaxing as a family with fridge/cupboards full, everyone gets a chocolate to munch when they wake so the new year will be filled with sweetness, we'll open all the windows and doors and faucets and have a noisy parade to blow away the old then light candles and sing at the door to invite the new year in, and we'll have our black eyed peas and buttered biscuits for dinner)

When we were talking about what we wanted to let go of from 2011 and what we wanted to embrace in 2012, my almost 5 year old answered that she wanted to say good-bye to vegetables and have more candy in 2012. ROTFLMAO.gif

My book of shadows is kind of the same as the home management binder, but I have to say, I'm not sure how well that's working for me. It'll take me a while to finish writing out a ritual, and maybe I won't finish it that night, and then I won't get my dream written down the next morning because I want to make sure I have enough room to finish writing out the ritual. Does that make any sense? But I like having a small journal that can fit in a back pocket, so I don't really want one of those big three ring binders - I wouldn't be able to carry something like that around as easily and I probably wouldn't use it.

Okay, now to rush around and finish getting all the stuff I need to finish before everyone gets up from naps!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#12 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Happy New Year! I realized over the last couple months that I needed to "get back to my roots". I had pulled away from the Goddess over the last year, allowing other people to sway my views. In doing this I lost my sense of self, as well as the psychic and empathic abilities I have had since childhood. I am hoping with this new year comes great change for everyone, especially myself so that I may be a better person for my son.

#13 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensMommy View Post

Happy New Year! I realized over the last couple months that I needed to "get back to my roots". I had pulled away from the Goddess over the last year, allowing other people to sway my views. In doing this I lost my sense of self, as well as the psychic and empathic abilities I have had since childhood. I am hoping with this new year comes great change for everyone, especially myself so that I may be a better person for my son.

wave.gif  Welcome to our cozy group!  I look forward to getting to know you better.  

#14 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostA very religiously liberal one? LOL. What brought me to Paganism was Earth-worship, ancestor worship, and recognition of feminine divinity. What brought me back to Christianity was ancestor worship and Marcus Borg (specifically his ideas about Christianity, myths, and social justice). My ancestors as far back as I can trace have been Christians. Lutherans and Catholics, but I was raised Lutheran (the most liberal version of Lutheran - ELCA). Part of what made me hesitant about Paganism before I became one was the issue of cultural appropriation, and because so much of mainstream Paganism takes myths, deities, rituals from other cultures willy nilly, I stayed away from Paganism despite how much I loved parts of it. Finally, Starhawk's Earth Path converted me. For a long time, I focused on divinity as nature, particularly the patch of nature where I live, but I love Samhein, and I got more and more into ancestor worship from that. However, the most recent immigrant in my family tree are my great-great grandparents. My great grandmother spoke Lithuanian but didn't teach my father: assimilating into the culture was very important to them. While I do have an interest in learning more about indigenous religions and spiritiualities of Lithuania and Ireland, my ancestors of the last several centuries, any ancestors I can name, were Christian and I felt called to honor that of my ancestors, to center myself in the traditions, rituals, stories, and deities of my ancestors while adapting them to fit the the times and place (both geologically and politically) of where my family and I live now. So, when I name Gods or Goddesses, I name Hagar, Miriam, Mary, and Jesus. Many Pagans focus on folk tales and fairy tales, and while I do have a love for finding Irish and Lithuanian tales as well as the tales I grew up hearing, I focus on the ones I find in the Bible to work with. I think particularly when you are working with Christianity, it assimilated a lot of Paganism, and while not true for all Pagans, I think that a LOT of Paganism is influenced by Christianity (because most Pagan writers not only live in a Christian culture but came out of a Christian childhood). Just thinking of the holidays, we had a nativity scene out (traditional in my family) but the way I see the story of Jesus definitely incorporates Jesus's birth as the rebirth of the sun (as well as the call for political transformation that I believe the Gospel of Luke and Matthew call for). I hope that's a good answer?

I will have to mull on it when I get home, and my ds is in school, and it's quiet in my house lol.gif I am still at M's, and "Pickers" is on TV, and I can't really concentrate!

ROFL at your kid for the veggie/candy comment. That is SO my ds, too.

My ds's 11th birthday is at the end of the month, and he asked me "Can we pleeeeeeeease get cable for a couple of months for my birthday present?"  Um, maybe. If we can get it without Cartoon Network, sure. Or Spongebob. Good gracious, I haven't had cable in years, and I can't even see us coming up for air. Not to mention I hate commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensMommy View PostHappy New Year! I realized over the last couple months that I needed to "get back to my roots". I had pulled away from the Goddess over the last year, allowing other people to sway my views. In doing this I lost my sense of self, as well as the psychic and empathic abilities I have had since childhood. I am hoping with this new year comes great change for everyone, especially myself so that I may be a better person for my son.

Welcome and MM!

I am going back to NC tomorrow, and I have had The.Best.Time.EVAH!!! luxlove.gif M was determined to relax, and was able to, and boy-o-boy....we have had some fun. LOTS of fun love.gif

#15 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 03:58 PM

I spent too much time on Pinterest... this place is addictive... found really interesting pictures of pagan/witch objects/projects. :-)

DH is building new furniture for the living room and soon, I'll have two top of "bookshelves" to decorate. I never came around to make wreaths to celebrate the Wheel of the Year... I hope for less procrastination for this project, lol!

Valérie   
#16 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM

I think my word for the year is going to have to be "endure", because I feel like that's all I can do now.  Sometimes in the last few weeks, I lost all my joy.  We have hit snag after snag lately, sending some of our plans down the tube and causing us to drastically alter others.  And the baby we so enthusiatically planned?  I have no idea how it happened, or even exactly when, but I have become so depressed about having it that I no longer want it.  I'm not even sure why.  Now Husband doesn't want it anymore either, because he sees what it's doing to me.  I'm so depressed I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, I'm so sick and exhausted I can't get out of bed some mornings, and the two are starting to becaome so mixed up that I don't always know which is which.  It's crazy - Husband can't touch my belly anymore or ask about the baby, because it makes me angry and nauseated when he does.  I have no idea where we can go from here.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#17 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM

DOK- thank you!  That's a beautiful blessing.  :)

FeralFox- ((very gentle hugs))

candy and disney- Yay for clever kiddos and gods help us, their amazing mothers, to be as creative as they are this year!  DD1 is 6yo so a "disney at home" may not work, but... my grandparents are in their 90s and they live in Poway CA.  We've been talking and talking about getting out there to see them (soon, since, well, they ARE in their 90s) but we have never had the money or the time to get there.  Planes and Trains cost about the same these days, buses and driving are less expensive but time consuming.  With 4 little kiddos the options are just not spectacular.  But I have an aunt and uncle who travel to Poway regularly from their home in Philly and we may be able to find a way to travel with them so at least we'd have 4 adults to 4 kiddos.  And if we did get to Poway to see the family, we'd certainly go to Disneyland for a day.  It's less overwhelming that DisneyWorld, and not as expensive.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

words for 2012- I had been wavering between Achievement and Balance and then at a few minutes before the stroke of twelve I realized the word for the year is WELL-BEING.  I kind of sums everything up and doesn't have a "dark side" (you know, where you ask for peace and end up socially isolated, or ask for adventure and learn why "living in interesting times" is a curse).  So well-being it is!

job related- bumped into an old co-worker at the store this evening and sh said they have some openings!  I'm going to be hitting the resume trail tomorrow to see if maybe I can get back into a library position.  Wish me luck!

WELCOME StevensMommy!  Nice to meet you.  :)

Maia- get the kind of service that comes with a DVR.  That way you can record shows and fast forward the commercials.  DH and I found that after years of dvds and netflix the commercials really drove us bonkers (to say nothing of exposing the kids to the merchandising) but the dvr has been pretty good.  My only problem is remembering that the ads can be fast forwarded.  I usually end up watching about half of the first ad and then going "oh yeah".  And you can set it up so you're only "off" a few minutes from the real time, like, a show comes on at 2pm so you record it and then start watching it at 2:05.  You have enough headway to fast forward the commercials but you're not creating a pile of video or something like that.  And if you know you might had trouble with a certain channel, put a channel lock on it.  Parental control type dealie.  So far I'm loooooooving having the tv, and I'm not actually watching all that much.  It's just nice to have the option again.  :)

Glad you're having fun in the frozen north, and hope this really is the year it all comes together for you.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#18 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Welcome, Stevensmommy!

Feralfox, have you discussed pregnancy depression with anyone?  I was spared PPD, but suffered from depression such as you describe through about the first half of all of my pregnancies.  I discussed meds with my doctor during the last pg, but my pattern was that one day in the second trimester I'd get up one morning and and just feel life was worth living again, so being aware of that, I was able to just hold on till the tide turned.  The depression for me was at its worst for the last month of the first trimester.  I hope you will be feeling better soon!

Crossing my fingers for a good job for you, Clay.

Words of the year:

Mine: Fulfillment (another word without a down side,  I hope.  I want fulfillment in every area of my life, to be present in the moment and find fulfillment in my every day life)

Dh- still unsure, wants one that means the opposite of "stressed out" if anyone has suggestions. I will suggest "well-being" - that is pretty close!

DD - Confidence

DS1 - Action and Adventure (couldn't choose)

DS2 - Safety 

Ds1's choice made me nervous, but my baby's choice warmed a mother's heart, I have to say! We write them at the top of a blackboard in our  kitchen so we can be reminded of them all year.

#19 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

I spent too much time on Pinterest... this place is addictive... found really interesting pictures of pagan/witch objects/projects. :-)

Oh, please share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFox View Post

I think my word for the year is going to have to be "endure", because I feel like that's all I can do now.  Sometimes in the last few weeks, I lost all my joy.  We have hit snag after snag lately, sending some of our plans down the tube and causing us to drastically alter others.  And the baby we so enthusiatically planned?  I have no idea how it happened, or even exactly when, but I have become so depressed about having it that I no longer want it.  I'm not even sure why.  Now Husband doesn't want it anymore either, because he sees what it's doing to me.  I'm so depressed I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, I'm so sick and exhausted I can't get out of bed some mornings, and the two are starting to becaome so mixed up that I don't always know which is which.  It's crazy - Husband can't touch my belly anymore or ask about the baby, because it makes me angry and nauseated when he does.  I have no idea where we can go from here.

hug2.gif Do you have a care provider yet? S/he might be able to help.

Quote:

Welcome welcome welcome!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#20 of 186 Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM

Aubergine, how about "peace" for your DH.

I do have an appointment with a midwife, but it's not until the 13th.  I won't take meds, so I have to come up with some other way to deal.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#21 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 AM

Feral,may you find peace in your own way.

Clay-I've started to get the Disney pressure. DD only knows a few characters here and there, but MIL has started the drumbeat to go to Disney World. I'm fine with going, but my argument is that I want DD to be old enough to remember and not be so overwhelmed. It's not a cheap trip. MIL said something about how she brought DH when he was a year old and it was fine. But anyway, i think if your aunt and uncle an go, that would be the best bet for you guys. And fingersx.gif for a library job!

I haven't decided my word for the year yet...CALM, ORGANIZED, and FULFILLMENT are my options thus far.

I fly to FL today (not Disney) to see my aunt and grandfather...my aunt is probably the most relaxing person to hang out with, so this will be nice for all of us. I just hope my DD can enjoy it--she's been behaving so badly lately that we've all been losing it. 3 years old is such a crazy age!

Come ponder with me about food!
#22 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:

My DD just showed me this site over the weekend.  It is easy to get lost in everything that is there.  I love it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

I haven't decided my word for the year yet...CALM, ORGANIZED, and FULFILLMENT are my options thus far.

I fly to FL today (not Disney) to see my aunt and grandfather...my aunt is probably the most relaxing person to hang out with, so this will be nice for all of us. I just hope my DD can enjoy it--she's been behaving so badly lately that we've all been losing it. 3 years old is such a crazy age!

I haven't decided my word yet either.  I pulled a ruin and it was spot on for where I am right now.  There is just so much emotional stuff going on here I am not sure I can pick one until I am in a better place.   Have fun in Florida.  I was just talking yesterday about how I miss the smell of the ocean.

FeralFox, (((hugs)))  Thinking about you sending positive vibes.  Maybe you could get your appointment moved up?  Maybe just talking on the phone to the Midwife would be helpful?

StevensMommy, Welcome:)

#23 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 AM

Just a warning - this is an epic multi-quote post since I haven't been on the past couple of days to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Quote:

I love this wish!  Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

I have been absent for a while, hoping to be back in the got my stuff together mode.  My health is taking a turn for the better, still have a bit to go but moving forward.  Good news, My DD Kelsey was accepted to the New England Culinary Institute!  So two down and one to go:) 

Wooohooo!  You go Mama and hats off to those kids of yours!  See if your DD will ever bring her homework home for you... YUM :) 

Quote:

I think my word will be:  Happiness

I love this word!  love.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

I'm beat.  I have been staying up FAR too late with DH since he's on vaca and we have baby-free time then but it is catching up with me!!!  nap time!!

That's how I spent my vacation too!  I crashed out the past 2 days with a nap after running around all week getting things done.  Such a nice way to start the new year love.gif

Quote:

Wishing everyone a "Lilac Double White Flower Essence" New Year.
Redirects our energies to those of renewal and rejuvenation. Great essences for recreating yourself, your work, your life. Blank slate, new start without having to "clean away or remove" anything in order to renew. Pure Positive Beginnings. Great for those at the doorway to new self. For those wanting to try and do something new because it's fun!

Woohoo!  I like this and I'm glad to hear you are/had a wonderful time in the frozen NE with M.  You both needed some "good" times together after all the emotional up/down in Dec thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

One of my pigs, YodaMae (I adopted her)  Is having some spinal cord issues.  I went outside on Wednesday and she just could not walk.  Vet came out and we have her on bed rest, giving her meds but no improvement.  The vet is coming back on Thursday to help me decide what to do next.  We sort of all know what I have to do but it just plain stinks! 

Awww thoughts to YodaMae - I hope you get some good news from the Vet on Thursday!

Quote:

Merry Meet & Welcome to our little group!

Quote:

DH is building new furniture for the living room and soon, I'll have two top of "bookshelves" to decorate. I never came around to make wreaths to celebrate the Wheel of the Year... I hope for less procrastination for this project, lol!

Oooh Val - I've heard several people now chatting about Pinterest - but what is it exactly? Sheepish.gif Yay for new furniture - I'm hoping to build some this year since I got what I asked for - a new CIRCULAR SAW.  I'm so giddy to try it out soon!

Feral - very gentle hugs and I hope you find peace like Witchy saidhug2.gif

I love everyone's words this year and I've decided on mine - DEDICATION and REVELATION. In looking at so many things like diet, exercise, spirituality, healing - I've fallen off the bandwagon a bunch, so I'm getting back on with horse (or the broomstick) with these and can't wait to see what this next year reveals to me as I go down this path.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#24 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Oh, mamas!  I love love love having DH home for vacation and Z running around but I am calling today my day of a deep breath... DH is back to work, Z is at Grandma's and I am indulging myself with no one around, listening to my Toubab Krewe (awesome drumming) Station on Pandora and catching up with you all.  

6week challenge: I'm 2 days in.  HAHAHA.  I decided not to attempt to get the dvd but used my Wii to do 1600 steps (20 min) while Z watched Sesame Street yesterday morning.  Today I went on a 3 mile walk and it was awesome, invigorating and FREEEEEZING.  It's only 15* here, my thighs are STILL defrosting but it felt good to get out and breath fresh air and be alone!!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

A very religiously liberal one? LOL. What brought me to Paganism was Earth-worship, ancestor worship, and recognition of feminine divinity. What brought me back to Christianity was ancestor worship and Marcus Borg (specifically his ideas about Christianity, myths, and social justice). My ancestors as far back as I can trace have been Christians. Lutherans and Catholics, but I was raised Lutheran (the most liberal version of Lutheran - ELCA). Part of what made me hesitant about Paganism before I became one was the issue of cultural appropriation, and because so much of mainstream Paganism takes myths, deities, rituals from other cultures willy nilly, I stayed away from Paganism despite how much I loved parts of it. Finally, Starhawk's Earth Path converted me. For a long time, I focused on divinity as nature, particularly the patch of nature where I live, but I love Samhein, and I got more and more into ancestor worship from that. However, the most recent immigrant in my family tree are my great-great grandparents. My great grandmother spoke Lithuanian but didn't teach my father: assimilating into the culture was very important to them. While I do have an interest in learning more about indigenous religions and spiritiualities of Lithuania and Ireland, my ancestors of the last several centuries, any ancestors I can name, were Christian and I felt called to honor that of my ancestors, to center myself in the traditions, rituals, stories, and deities of my ancestors while adapting them to fit the the times and place (both geologically and politically) of where my family and I live now. So, when I name Gods or Goddesses, I name Hagar, Miriam, Mary, and Jesus. Many Pagans focus on folk tales and fairy tales, and while I do have a love for finding Irish and Lithuanian tales as well as the tales I grew up hearing, I focus on the ones I find in the Bible to work with. I think particularly when you are working with Christianity, it assimilated a lot of Paganism, and while not true for all Pagans, I think that a LOT of Paganism is influenced by Christianity (because most Pagan writers not only live in a Christian culture but came out of a Christian childhood). Just thinking of the holidays, we had a nativity scene out (traditional in my family) but the way I see the story of Jesus definitely incorporates Jesus's birth as the rebirth of the sun (as well as the call for political transformation that I believe the Gospel of Luke and Matthew call for). I hope that's a good answer?

Wow.  This is very intriguing and gets me thinking.  I had to read Borg for a Religious Studies class I took my freshman year (Meeting Jesus again for the First time) and I remember it really rocking my world but as I think back now I can't remember why.  I think I'll have to revisit it this year.  I relate when you say that you were drawn to Paganism for the Earth-Worship and recognition of the feminine deity.  With Christmas being so recent I've been thinking a lot about Mary as a goddess and seem to keep pulling her card in the recent 6 mos in my Goddess guidance cards.  Thank you for sharing this!

Welcome, StevensMommy!  

Quote:
I am going back to NC tomorrow, and I have had The.Best.Time.EVAH!!! luxlove.gif M was determined to relax, and was able to, and boy-o-boy....we have had some fun. LOTS of fun love.gif

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy, happy to hear this!  After the wild ride of the past few months you both deserve relaxation and FUN. :)  

FeralFox: Echoing the others, I hope you find peace and can get some help with your current feelings.  Sending healing, loving, gentle energy your way.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

job related- bumped into an old co-worker at the store this evening and sh said they have some openings!  I'm going to be hitting the resume trail tomorrow to see if maybe I can get back into a library position.  Wish me luck!

LUCK!  The idea of going back to work sounds scary but fun.  Relieving, on some levels.  I miss the kind of purpose and validation I felt when I was working.  The good thing, I think, is that I am finding ways beyond work that fulfill these things and growing from that.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Safe travels, witchy!  It sounds like a good time.  

Everyone's words for the year are so interesting and inspiring.  For the past week the UU church sign has read "LAST THINGS FIRST" - which struck me as brilliant and I couldn't get it out of my mind so I am adopting that as my mantra for the year.  I do seem to say I have to do XYZ and THEN I can do *whatever* which is usually something superfun or a seemingly difficult undertaking that I just want to push away... but I keep pushing those things, both fun and difficult, to the bottom and they hang over me and I start to get annoyed as in "grumble, grumble, I never have time to paint" well, i DO have time to paint I just put them last, after laundry and dirty floors...and maybe my floors just need to be dirty a little while longer so I can enjoy the time I have a little more. OR on the other hand, if I just DO the dang thing that is hanging over my head then it will be done and I can get on with it.  KWIM?????  

Oh, and Pinterest?  I love it as a visual bookmarking site where I can go to locate everything in one place and see other people's ideas.  I also like to say it makes me feel like the inadequate mother I've always strived to be.   hahaha.   I kid, though, I've always known I'd never be the mama that stayed up into the wee hours the night before Z's birthday creating intricate cupcakes, it's just not my style.  I'd end up frustrated and throwing the whole dang thing out the window! haha.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#25 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Ugh, Disney.  That"s a "just to make matters worse" subject with me right now.  I have always been really vocal about the fact that I dream about taking my kids to Disney, and that it's a really big deal to me to be able to do it.  My ex knows this, and his parents know this.  So what did I find out a few weeks ago?  My ex in-laws are taking the whole family to Disney next year - Ex, Badger, and them.  Not me.  For badger's first ever time on on airplane, and his first time at Disney.  They never even asked me to see if I was ok with it.  I'm so hurt and angry about the constant disregard shown to me by then, but this just takes the cake.  They know how important it is to me to take him to Disney, but now I never can.  I am never going to get over it.  I haven't talked much about the situation with Badger, but it really feels like I'm not even his mother anymore.

#26 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM

(((FeralFox)))

Pinterest: I only browse, I'm not a member yet... Maybe I will, maybe I won't, lol! It,s so easy to loose track of time when on there!

Valérie   
#27 of 186 Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks everyone. I would have to say my words would be perseverance and mindfulness. Like I hope to persevere with this being a vegan thing...

#28 of 186 Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 AM

popping in for a quick good morning to everyone!  I hope all of us has a wonderful Wednesday!  I'm off to do some push ups & sit ups before I chicken out and not do them! love.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#29 of 186 Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, this isn't pagan but I'm wondering how many of my pagan friends have seen the tv series Downton Abbey (PBS).  I am so very hooked on it.  I watched Season 1 on Netflix (instant) and can't wait for the next installments to begin (Jan 8th)!

#30 of 186 Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM

morning lovies, ktg, I'm TOTALLY with you.  Go, mama, go! 

Feral: Is it possible to talk to your ex about how you're feeling?  Gosh, sweets, I just want to scoop you up and give you a big, healing hug.  hug2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page