Crunchy Christian Mamas in 2012 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 526 Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Change of plans for school.  Counseling seems like a good plan for me but the job market is limited.  I had two solid ideas in mind of things I am passionate about and things I want to do.  So I am going with the other path I think.  I would love to go to school, get some training, something.  I should probably still get some schooling in business or something.  

So other plan: In a most scattered and disorganized still dreaming and not yet pruning kind of way..... I want to be part business part non-profit.  I work in a grocery store right now and watch people who shop with food stamps.  I watch stores take advantage of peoples lack of shopping skills.  I see food stamp totals and wonder "how on earth does this not last the month" (of course it is no mystery since I know what they buy). And what about those people who narrowly miss the food stamp cut off.  Who are operating on a net budget of even less.  I want to teach some basic cooking and shopping skills.  As well as urban agriculture stuff that help do anything from stretch the food budget to create self sufficiency,  (I also have a seed of laothing growing in me.  Working for a middle to high end grocery store really makes you think of them as low lifes.  And if anyone thinks local chains are better should get over themselves.  Down with big money grocery stores.  Down I say!  stick it to the man.  produce your own dang food.  When i clock in or out at work I use my finger print....guess what finger I use...just guess...it is a nice way to start my morning off.  ummm, i have derailed a bit.)  Ok I also want to teach urban agriculture, planting food bearing plants anywhere you can, having pet chickens who happen to lay eggs, or a pet goat you happen to milk :), using rain water and grey water as irrigation .  i also want to do all of this in a dirt cheap, eco friendly way.  I live int he hood and I want to serve the hood. I want to a resource for where to get cheap good healthy stuff.  An outpost for barrels and pallets and seedlings.  teach classes and provide a workshop where people can assemble their stuff with our tools.   To actually make money I want to market my skills to higher income people who need help with the basics.  Planning their garden, building coups, cold frames, plotting a garden and prepping the ground.  Landscaper for veggies.  I of course will need some power tools for this (heck yeah! I really think my life would be so much fuller if I had a table saw and nail gun)  i could install things like down spout water collectors and other trendy stuff for yuppies.  (I am gonna need a pick up truck too....)  And of course everyone loves a cooking class.    So i was thinking of starting out with a blog to record my experiments and showcase what i can do.  get my name and skills out there and gradually build up my business. In the mean time i start refining my plans for making raised beds, compost bins, and water collection devices and misc. ways to grow plants where plants otherwise would not grow.  Brush up on basic plumbing and electrical skills.  start collecting the materials I need and find out who my sources for cheap supplies are (where does one get pallets and five gallon buckets anyway?)

thoughts?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#242 of 526 Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Sounds good to me. Can I come to SD and take your class??

Will this be fulltime and another "job" part time? At least while your getting things going??

Do you have the start-up money? Do you know about how much you will need?

No matter whatpraying.gif for wisdom

#243 of 526 Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Down with BIG money grocery storeFIREdevil.gif

great!!!!

#244 of 526 Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What station? Moody? If it was (or if it wasn't) might have been Focus on the Family? I didn't get to hear it yesterday so not sure what they talked about.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#245 of 526 Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

MrsKoehn- I don't listen to christian radio very much at all. But I know it was not Focus of the family.

When are you due in Nov? My #1 B-day is Nov 10th.

#246 of 526 Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 PM

It wold be a full time job.  For now i would be getting things rolling while I work full time.  My plan would be to have it up and off the ground in 18-24 months.  I do not have start up money but since so much of it is labor....also I hope to get grants and such to work in my neighborhood.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#247 of 526 Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

OK so I know that I'm crazy, but I want to do a Lord's Supper. I would to have a big meal and then break bread and drink the cup. Like the early church. I'm hoping for Sept? or maybe wait till passover March 25??? No to long.

I'm going to speak to the sunday school teacher on sunday. We will see how that goes.

#248 of 526 Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

How do you know that someone is your friend and not just being "christian"? greensad.gif

#249 of 526 Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

OK so I know that I'm crazy, but I want to do a Lord's Supper. I would to have a big meal and then break bread and drink the cup. Like the early church. I'm hoping for Sept? or maybe wait till passover March 25??? No to long.

I'm going to speak to the sunday school teacher on sunday. We will see how that goes.

Oh that would be nice! I used to go to a Grace Brethren church in KY when I was a little girl. They did it that way and it was pretty neat. Candle light and a long table, I think everyone brought something for the meal. Then Pastor Sam read about the Lord's Supper from I think 2 places, then passed the bread and cup. I don't remember sharing it, I think we did the crackers you break off and the individual communion cups. Then they broke off into men and women and did a foot washing ceremony. That was the only time I was old enough to did it (I was saved at 5 but didn't get baptized till I was 10, I think this was when I was 11 bc we moved right after I turned 12). It made an impression on me, and I remember washing the feet of my old Sunday School teacher. She was about 70's and so sweet. It was still a very humbling thing to do and very memorable. I think it gave me a better understanding of what Jesus was doing as he washed His disciple's feet.

Quote:

How do you know that someone is your friend and not just being "christian"? greensad.gif

That's a hard one. I think for me, it's been shown in time. People are human, even if they are Christians. I've had that sense before, sometimes without cause, sometimes with cause. 

Quote:

MrsKoehn- I don't listen to christian radio very much at all. But I know it was not Focus of the family.

When are you due in Nov? My #1 B-day is Nov 10th.

Hmm, don't know then. Maybe you could look it up on the radio station's website and see what was playing at that time?

I'm due Nov 7, very close! Not sure when babe will come. I was my Mom's first, and I was 9 days early, next one born was 2 1/2 weeks early (wouldn't you know, he's the one that's 6'4??). The latest was #3 boy, he was 2 weeks late. So we'll see! :)

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#250 of 526 Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:

That is hard.  If they seem too missional.  Always trying to get you to church or always trying to save you.  If they only want to spend time with you during church ministry stuff (women's Bible study)  There is nothing wrong with being friendly or whatever just to show love but at the same time it does not fill the need for friendship the way a real friend does.

#251 of 526 Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

MrsK- I am happy to know that you had a Lord's Supper!! It soundds like you had a very good expence.

I did invite a couple from the church. She told me they are VERY busy. So I told her to call me and tell me when they are free. (please tell me soon) Well that was almost a week ago and NOTHING!? I don't understand how long/hard is it to pick up the phone and call or whatever....just let me know. This is the "friend" We have been very very nice to them and they are I DON'T know???? Well this will be the LAST thing I invite them to!!!!!!!!

My #1 was born on his due date #2 8 days early and #3 well it depends who you talk to.

How are you feeling?  Where are you planning to have the baby? Do you know the sex?

I b/f so I sorry for mistakes!!!

#252 of 526 Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

lilyka- I have treated them like REAL friends. I'm seeing they are not returning to sentiment.

#253 of 526 Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:

MrsK- I am happy to know that you had a Lord's Supper!! It sounds like you had a very good experience.

I did invite a couple from the church. She told me they are VERY busy. So I told her to call me and tell me when they are free. (please tell me soon) Well that was almost a week ago and NOTHING!? I don't understand how long/hard is it to pick up the phone and call or whatever....just let me know. This is the "friend" We have been very very nice to them and they are I DON'T know???? Well this will be the LAST thing I invite them to!!!!!!!!

My #1 was born on his due date #2 8 days early and #3 well it depends who you talk to.

How are you feeling?  Where are you planning to have the baby? Do you know the sex?

I b/f so I sorry for mistakes!!!

You know, I am busy like that too. It takes me a week to be spontaneous, on a GOOD week (which this one has not been). So it might not be anything. It would be nice of her to let you know though. Sometimes well intentioned ppl just don't do well keeping you informed. I totally married into one of those families and it REALLY annoys me sometimes. I'm getting better at dealing with it though. I went somewhere with my in-laws and their 3 teen girls last month. Oh man. Supposed to leave between 11 and 11:30. Okay, to me, that means be ready before 11. They finally got here at 11:45. : { So annoying, but I got over it. Lol

I'm feeling fine. Not even really showing unless I wear something tight, which is only around the house and rarely. Planning a home birth, and I really hope a water birth. I don't know the sex. We were able to volunteer to be "models" for the local pregnancy center last month. They were training their employees to use the machine so if any abortion-mined woman came in at any time, someone could give it to her. We got a few pictures, but we didn't get to find out the sex. This is a wiggler, but couldn't see what he is! Hubby thinks the trainer probably could have, but he didn't volunteer, and we didn't ask. We weren't planning on an US anyway, so we decided if we found out, we found out. If not, it's a surprise! :)

#254 of 526 Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM

I wouldn't read too much into it.  some people just aren't the kind to make plans.   And you may be surprised how hard it is for some people to pick up the phone.  I can't really explain it but it is really hard to call people.  I don't mind texting or email but I hate getting stuck on the phone. I am surprised by how many of my friends feel the same.  Phone chat...such an awkward obligation.  Or perhaps the plan just makes them uncomfortable and they don't know how to decline without offending. (even as a protestant I could never have done communion like that.  but at the same time when my good friends suggested it i would just smile and nod...)  Perhaps start with something more casual.  Like hanging out in the park.  

Some people just have a harder time moving into close friendships than others.  I am sure people wonder about me a lot.  Casual friendships are just really hard for me.  Finding time for things like dinners and park dates is so overwhelming I just can't.  Kids, work, house keeping....all of it and then trying to get to someone else's house is almost impossible.  don't take it personally.  But I think it would be a blessing to them if you kept trying.  I know it may feel like there is no reward in it for you but they may end up being the best friends you ever had if you just keep working on it.  

#255 of 526 Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Hello everyone we are finally back from vacation-how is every doing?

My cousins wedding was beautiful, and Dd made it down the aisle without hassle so that was good too, lol.  There was a lot of family drama, like I knew there would be, but you can't expect complete calmness when you have 12-13 people in a van for multiple hours at a a time, I just did my best to stay out of it.  In the end my Uncle (who is more like a brother since he is only 9 years older than me) told me how *pleasant* I was on the trip and how he noticed I didn't involve myself in any of the drama.  That is a huge thing for me because I am usually the annoying little sister figure in his life lol.  All in all it was a good trip though.

Now I am working on checking things off of my giant to-do list before we leave for Hawaii in less than 3 weeks!  It is coming way too fast.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#256 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

John16- Hope everything goes smooth for your move. WOW Hawaii!

I'm sad about not having friends. I really think that something is wrong with me. 

#257 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Nazsmum- I know the feeling.  Coming home I have realized that all but one of my friends have moved away as well (by friends I mean people I actually hang out with), and the one friend I still have here is headed down a path I don't agree with so we are currently not talking.  It really stinks....I don't think anything is wrong with you though, I will be praying for you to find some friends.

Actually, on that topic can I ask y'alls opinion on something?  Is it wrong for me to want to drift away from a friendship with someone who is having an affair with a married man?  This woman keeps telling me I 'just don't understand' but the thing is that I really don't understand.  Christian or not I would never cheat on my Dh.  She said "What if you were staying with Dh just for Dd's sake, but you weren't happy with Dh?"  I told her that if I had made the conscious decision not to leave Dh because of Dd I would still not cheat on him, because by choosing to stay I was choosing to keep all the things that go along with marriage.  I was still hanging out with her, but all she does is talk about him.  I told her if we were hanging out she didn't need to mention him around me, especially if she didn't want to hear my opinion on the subject.  She said she couldn't do that so I told her we might not need to hang out.  I will be here for her when this all goes down the hole, I know God is seeking her.  She went to church with me a few weeks ago and felt him.  But I don't think she will go again because I know she knows what she is doing is wrong and doesn't want to have to face it.  I just don't know what to do other than pray :(

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#258 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John16n33 View Post

Now I am working on checking things off of my giant to-do list before we leave for Hawaii in less than 3 weeks!  It is coming way too fast.

Wow, busy woman! Sounds great, but you will be busy I'm sure! :)

Quote:
I'm sad about not having friends. I really think that something is wrong with me. 

I went through that for about 2 yrs as a teen. Felt like FOREVER. I felt that way too. I felt that way again as I was in college, not really dating, attracted all the weird guys, saw all my friends getting married... What was wrong with me? In both cases, I prayed and cried a lot. I asked God to show me anything I needed to change. There were things, but nothing huge. In His time, He brought me to a new church as a teen and I met a girl my age who is still a friend. We were GREAT friends as teens. After college, a few years later, I met this YOUNG guy. He was 18 and I was 25. We're now married, very happily. It wasn't ME with the issues then. It was just that HE wasn't old enough. :) Hindsight is 20/20. It's a hard valley, but God will guide and grow you through it if you let Him. I know He's got great plans for you!

Quote:

Actually, on that topic can I ask y'alls opinion on something?  Is it wrong for me to want to drift away from a friendship with someone who is having an affair with a married man?  This woman keeps telling me I 'just don't understand' but the thing is that I really don't understand.  Christian or not I would never cheat on my Dh.  She said "What if you were staying with Dh just for Dd's sake, but you weren't happy with Dh?"  I told her that if I had made the conscious decision not to leave Dh because of Dd I would still not cheat on him, because by choosing to stay I was choosing to keep all the things that go along with marriage.  I was still hanging out with her, but all she does is talk about him.  I told her if we were hanging out she didn't need to mention him around me, especially if she didn't want to hear my opinion on the subject.  She said she couldn't do that so I told her we might not need to hang out.  I will be here for her when this all goes down the hole, I know God is seeking her.  She went to church with me a few weeks ago and felt him.  But I don't think she will go again because I know she knows what she is doing is wrong and doesn't want to have to face it.  I just don't know what to do other than pray :(

Pray is the biggest thing you can do. She's in the wrong but obviously doesn't want to look at it that way. Is she a Christian? If she is, maybe you can point out what the Lord says about that subject. If she's even open to it. I haven't been in that exact situation but recently one similar. I followed hubby's lead on that one since she is his sister. We just distanced ourselves from her in intimate ways, such as we don't invite her over here and we're not going to her house, but we don't avoid going to things if she's there and we do talk to her when we're there.

I think prayer is a HUGE thing in your friend's case. I would probably break off ties with a friend as long as she was in the affair and not repentant. All my friends are Christian though. If they weren't, which some online "friends" are, I would probably really pray hard and try to encourage them to see the truth of what they're doing to themselves and those around them.

#259 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 PM

MrsKoehn- Thanks for the advice. She says she is a Christian, but does a lot of things to the contrary KWIM? But then again I guess we all do. I have brought it up to her in a spiritual way before and she does not respond, so I brought it up in a practical way and again she didn't respond. She said she wants to find a new home church and loved my church, but every time I have asked her if she wants to come again she makes an excuse. I really think you are right when you say that she just doesn't want to face her actions right now. Your suggestions are similar to what I am doing now, I am not reaching out to her anymore and am not looking to hang out with her. I do pray for her, and when this all falls apart (which I really think it will) and she sees the wrong in her actions I will be there for her.

-Meagan

#260 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
 Is it wrong for me to want to drift away from a friendship with someone who is having an affair with a married man? 

Umm,  NO! It is not wrong. These relationships are death and anything it touches withers and dies.  And who is she to feel justified?  What about his wife?  What about his family?  What is his excuse?  And if she feels ok treating others this way it is only a matter of time before you fall victim to her selfishness and greed,. go ahead and be there for her when and if the shit hits the fan (although my ex and his lover were together for 10 freaking years!  but they did not live in the same town so it took reality time to catch up).  But I would be careful to keep her at a cordial distance.  Sometimes all it takes is someone firmly and repeatedly saying, this is not ok and i will not be a party to it.  But I would accept nothing less than true repentance.  not just break up self pity.  She is a  human wrecking ball leaving a trail of destruction in her wake.  She needs to admit what she did was wrong on every level.  not just be glad it is over.  Otherwise it will just happen again. 

#261 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

John16- Agree with lilyka!!! Toxic!!!

I sorry about my post earlier. I was up with baby all night and feeling really down. Thanks for the kind words. I think that i just don't have many friends and that is just the way it is.

I hope the you ladies are my friends.

#262 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

HEY! Just something interesting TODAY on the Hebrew calendar (Tammuz 9) Nebuchadnezzar broke through the wall of Jerusalem at the height of famine (Jer. 39:2; 52:6)

#263 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey can I join? I am looking for some other MDC conversation besides cervical mucus and TTC haha. (although we are TTC)

I have been having difficulties in finding real close friends, too. We have plenty of couples that we plan stuff with but I have no real confidants besides DH and DD.

I am 25 and rural, SAHM, faithful, and pretty conservative all the way around and as our 1.5 year old getting more attentive to details in people's behavior I am finding myself more attentive in my friends behaviors. Also, just logistically and being busy in general makes it hard to spend time with everyone as much as I would like. We are/will be homeschooling and DD is an only child right now so I have been worrying more lately about us becoming hermits out here.

Anyway, recently have gotten library cards and have been venturing there once a week and today I got a book called "Caesar and Christ". I have always wondered what happened in history between Christ dying and countries and governments of the world coming about. When we went to the library today I didn't really have any genre or title or author in mind and actually just decided to go to the farthest back wall and silently prayed for God to send me to a book and I ended up at this one, which I thought was really cool. I saw the title and thought, "Oh yeah! Who knew there was a whole book on that?!" It is a 700 + page book and I would normally NEVER attempt to read something that long because I can never sit still long enough to actually read-a-book.

Anyway, I thought I would jump in tonite. Off to attempt to read.....

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#264 of 526 Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

`Ugh, i got so fired up about the whole adultery thing that I forgot to commiserate on the friend thing.  I am really struggling.  I meet most people at work and cannot trust them (I have already been written up for things I have said to co-workers.  Fairly benign things at that.)  Also at the end of the day work is about all we have in common.  I don't go to bars, I don't have a husband to complain about (and if I did I would just be to darn thankful to complain.  It is amazing how much divorce can give you perspective).  People at church are hardly better.  it is a small parish and there is one person who drives me crazy (one person out of 4 women my age with kids) and I just cannot subject myself to her judgments.   Which pushes me out from the rest of the group.  I just happened to be online the same time as the new girl and she must think I am a lunatic.  i felt like i was the desperate weird kid.  Who knows, maybe she is as lonely as I am.  :)  She doesn't seem to be hiding from me and I always take that as a good sign.  Of course she lives a couple of hours from here.  Why is it so hard to make friends in my neighborhood? (well, probably because 90% of the people in my neighborhood are weirdos or criminals) I feel like I am in such a weird place.  I am a single working mother but I hate every minute of all of it so I don't really fit in with the ladies who own that.  But I also feel really excluded from my old group of stay at home homeschooling friends who continued procreating and have small children still.  i am just not there and not likely to return.  And no one seems to understand my life paralysis that keeps me from moving forward into something that makes me happy because the only thing I am passionate about is mothering and being a kick butt house wife and no one is hiring for that, there is no class I can take, no resume builders.  And i can't even do that in my spare time because work just really gets in the way.  Just waiting and praying.  I can't have people over because my house is always a mess and I have animals (i did not realize how much that would limit me socially) but really people who will come and hang out at my house while I keep doing laundry or pretend to be a good mom.   And I am pretty low maintenance.  one friend like that and I am good to go.  Problem then is that all my eggs are in one basket.  So when I had a friend like that I did not need anyone else.  And he was such a good balance for me.  He dragged me out, helped me do my chores LOL and it was a really great year.  but then he moved and  now I have no one.  I am pretty sure my boyfriend doesn't even really like me.  I know the whole long distance thing is hard.  I know if we lived in the same city it would be a lot easier.  I prefer the company of men which also complicates things.  But i need women friends too i think.  

So there is my little rant....pity party...whatever.  We need to all pray for each other to have some meaningful friendships.

#265 of 526 Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:

MrsKoehn- Thanks for the advice. She says she is a Christian, but does a lot of things to the contrary KWIM? But then again I guess we all do. I have brought it up to her in a spiritual way before and she does not respond, so I brought it up in a practical way and again she didn't respond. She said she wants to find a new home church and loved my church, but every time I have asked her if she wants to come again she makes an excuse. I really think you are right when you say that she just doesn't want to face her actions right now. Your suggestions are similar to what I am doing now, I am not reaching out to her anymore and am not looking to hang out with her. I do pray for her, and when this all falls apart (which I really think it will) and she sees the wrong in her actions I will be there for her.

Welcome, sounds like you're a great friend. I don't know if she'll do it or not, but there's books by Christian authors. Probably can get audio books too if she's not a reader. In her position, she will probably resent it though. I'm thinking in particular of Gary Chapman's books. One in particular, Desperate Marriages: Moving Toward Hope and Healing In Your Relationship. Just searching his name on Amazon came up with a few titles that could be applicable though. I have read a couple of his books and listen to his weekend radio show. The stuff he says really makes sense. Esp the fact that love waxes and wains. "In Love" only lasts, on average, 2 yrs. Then you have to love on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

Umm,  NO! It is not wrong. These relationships are death and anything it touches withers and dies.  And who is she to feel justified?  What about his wife?  What about his family?  What is his excuse?  And if she feels ok treating others this way it is only a matter of time before you fall victim to her selfishness and greed,. go ahead and be there for her when and if the shit hits the fan (although my ex and his lover were together for 10 freaking years!  but they did not live in the same town so it took reality time to catch up).  But I would be careful to keep her at a cordial distance.  Sometimes all it takes is someone firmly and repeatedly saying, this is not ok and i will not be a party to it.  But I would accept nothing less than true repentance.  not just break up self pity.  She is a  human wrecking ball leaving a trail of destruction in her wake.  She needs to admit what she did was wrong on every level.  not just be glad it is over.  Otherwise it will just happen again. 

Sorry you went through that pain too! : ( I think you've got great advice too. Really sounds like my SIL. She was raised better, but chose a really bad and abusive guy. She sneaked around with him for a long time before moving in, getting pregnant, then marrying him. He was in jail a lot. Then before they were divorced, she was sneaking around with a friend of his. Now they ran off and got married. Okay Einstein. Whatever. She's really taking a risk, esp with her little ones.

#266 of 526 Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies, it breaks my heart for this guys family. I just don't understand. Lilyka- I'm sorry you have been on the receiving end of this-that's awful! I just want to take my friend and shake her until it knocks some sense into her, but I know that won't help. AFM- On a happier note things are coming together for the move. I got the dogs crate today, and ordered new luggage and our gate check bags for the stroller and car seat. Only two weeks now and we will be living on the island. I am still not looking forward to the 6 week (average) of living in a hotel while we wait for a house-but ya gotta do what you gotta do.

-Meagan

#267 of 526 Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

Hey can I join? I am looking for some other MDC conversation besides cervical mucus and TTC haha. (although we are TTC)

I have been having difficulties in finding real close friends, too. We have plenty of couples that we plan stuff with but I have no real confidants besides DH and DD.

I am 25 and rural, SAHM, faithful, and pretty conservative all the way around and as our 1.5 year old getting more attentive to details in people's behavior I am finding myself more attentive in my friends behaviors. Also, just logistically and being busy in general makes it hard to spend time with everyone as much as I would like. We are/will be homeschooling and DD is an only child right now so I have been worrying more lately about us becoming hermits out here.

Anyway, recently have gotten library cards and have been venturing there once a week and today I got a book called "Caesar and Christ". I have always wondered what happened in history between Christ dying and countries and governments of the world coming about. When we went to the library today I didn't really have any genre or title or author in mind and actually just decided to go to the farthest back wall and silently prayed for God to send me to a book and I ended up at this one, which I thought was really cool. I saw the title and thought, "Oh yeah! Who knew there was a whole book on that?!" It is a 700 + page book and I would normally NEVER attempt to read something that long because I can never sit still long enough to actually read-a-book.

Welcome.gifI was reading alot. Now with a 2 month old I'm taking a break.

#268 of 526 Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

HEY! Just something interesting TODAY on the Hebrew calendar (Tammuz 9) Nebuchadnezzar broke through the wall of Jerusalem at the height of famine (Jer. 39:2; 52:6)

That's cool. :)

Quote:

John16- Agree with lilyka!!! Toxic!!!

I hope the you ladies are my friends.

I don't know you well enough to say friend per se, BUT I do hope to get to know you better and be friends, as well as other ladies here. :) I have ppl I've only met online I consider dear friends now. joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

Not sure how I missed your post before??? One day I'll wake up and realize how much I am my Mother. ROTFLMAO.gifYou sound like me only younger. I'm 32, rural, working on the first babe and beside hubby and his sisters (ranging in age from 12-41) I don't have a lot of friends. Part of it is we don't have a church home. First time in my life for that. Hubby's so sick of the legalism at the churches around here, even though their doctrine's generally good, he comes home more frustrated than ever. SO it's best for us not to go for now. We'd both love to go, but ya. We just have our own devotions, and together, and are constantly debating/discussing the Bible, listening to Christian radio and sermons. It's been a growing for me!

Anyway, off that. I homeschool my 3 teen SILs (16, 14, 12) and plan to do the same with our babes. We were recently called hermits by one of hubby's cousins. It's bc over Memorial Day, we had an impromptu family gathering here (hubby's immediate family only). The cousin was trying to invite his family of 6 over and he's not really on my favorite's list right now bc he's so NOSEY and GOSSIPY. He said we're hermits when we said no he can't come. Lol Seriously. He just wants to see me to see if I am really pregnant or not. He's not sure if he believes it or not and we're not announcing it to hubby's family till AFTER the baby's here for various really annoying reasons. So ya, hermits. I was thinking of growing a white beard and sitting on the porch with a gun. hyena.gif

Sounds like a neat book! I love to read, just don't have as much time as I used to for it.

Quote:

So there is my little rant....pity party...whatever.  We need to all pray for each other to have some meaningful friendships.

Too right!

#269 of 526 Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Oh my gosh!  I did it.  I sent in my financial paperwork (Glory to God I qualify for the full amount of the Pell Grant and possibly the next level of need based grants.  I could have all of my tuition covered!) and filled out my application, including a declared major.  (Dietetics - Registered Dietitian and then when I am done I will take my lactation consulting boards).  I crunched the numbers and if everything goes as planned I should graduate with minimal debt (less than $10,000, possibly none.)  Expected start date is 2013.  I will spend the fall semester paying off my car and credit card and studying for  couple of CLEP tests.  Each one I pass saves me $700.

I haven't felt this optimistic about life in a very long time.  Praise God for hope and a future!!

sosurreal09 and MrsKoehn like this.

#270 of 526 Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh my gosh!  I did it.  I sent in my financial paperwork (Glory to God I qualify for the full amount of the Pell Grant and possibly the next level of need based grants.  I could have all of my tuition covered!) and filled out my application, including a declared major.  (Dietetics - Registered Dietitian and then when I am done I will take my lactation consulting boards).  I crunched the numbers and if everything goes as planned I should graduate with minimal debt (less than $10,000, possibly none.)  Expected start date is 2013.  I will spend the fall semester paying off my car and credit card and studying for  couple of CLEP tests.  Each one I pass saves me $700.

I haven't felt this optimistic about life in a very long time.  Praise God for hope and a future!!

thumbsup.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page