Moving towards Simplicity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I originally posted this in Waldorf, but it was suggested I try posting here.

I am trying to move towards simplicity these days, after reading Simplicity Parenting.

I've been giving consideration to the fact that even though we are much less busy than we used to be, I feel like weekends are still more "full" than I would like and am hoping to bring more peace to our weekends.  This led me to consider the idea of "Sabbath moments" as discussed in Simplicity Parenting (ie: the idea of "Sabbath" not from a religious perspective, but from a spiritual perspective). 

Has anyone tried this, and if so, what "Sabbath" moments do you have?  Are they particular events? Moments? A whole day?  What do they look like and what do they do/mean for your family?

I like the idea of having a whole day (Sundays, since family dinners are already a big part of this) but wonder if it is unrealistic as a starting point (although I am not sure what our idea of a Sabbath day would look like yet either.)  Part of the challenge for us is that my mom often likes to do a big family meal Sunday night, and I find that we are then rushing home to get DS to bed on time and to prepare for the work week.  Any thoughts on how to handle this?  Have people to our house instead? (but then won't we be even busier?)

Also, I am thinking of challenging DH and I to do a month of TV free time (DS already does not have any screen time (well, almost none.  Sometimes he sees sports at my parents house)) but DH and I watch TV often in the evenings (DH more than me) and DH plays video games (ugh, I hate his play station).  I think it would be good for us to go a month TV free.  Has anyone gone TV free, and (if you had to) how did you get your sig other to agree to it? (I think that DH will be less than enthused at my suggestion).

Thanks.

#2 of 3 Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

First-we are TV free for the most part. So I say go for it. It did take some time to "get into it" but it was worth it. I found audiobooks and love them. I do notice that when I'm around TV it starts to get to me. It draining. So I would say it is more restful not to have the TV going.

We have our "sabbath" on Sunday. Most of the day we just hang. The morning we do go to church @ 8am then home. SOMETIMES we will go to my parents. If we do yes we do leave a little "early". (6yr old & just turn 3yr old)

Overall rest is a good thing!!! We all need it.

#3 of 3 Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We are 100% TV free! Well, we are not internet free. :) But, we certainly do not watch TV on the internet. But, we do watch spiritual "movies" or sermons.  Maybe go TV free just on Sabbaths first and see how that goes. Then, do it for the weekend... then, a whole month. Just a recommendation... I don't know how I did... buy my DH & I were both TV free before we married.

Definitely have people over at your house, but make it potluck style! And, make it after church (early afternoon). If there aren't enough people for potluck or you think there may not be enough food... you can have someone bring a main dish, others side dishes, and someone else drinks & dessert. It's the best. You just eat & socialize... no TV! You talk about life and may even be spiritual things. Sometimes... we have great spiritual discussions and learn so much from other people & God's word. I love it!

On a good day of weather, go out for a hike or walk... and enjoy God's creation.

HTH

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page