~~Pagan Parenting in February!~~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 136 Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas....its been a long time, again.  I tried catching up but that is going to take quite awhile lol

So I will just say hi and kind of jump in.

I am still stuck with getting myself spritually motivated again...bothersome but something I obviously need to work through.  

I am just really exhausted lately, think my adrenals are acting up again.  Usually by this time of year I have all my seeds getting ready to start, my garden planned etc...havent even looked through the catalogs yet!!!

We did get a new puppy back in January so that has been taking up time for sure

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#122 of 136 Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 AM

I'm so sorry, Clay.

Come ponder with me about food!
#123 of 136 Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.  My grandfather had so many adventures... he was 90 when he passed, with 6 children, 8 grandchildren, and 6 great grandchildren.  He was career Army (working mostly on the atomic projects my dad was born in Los Alamos), then he retired and decided to become a lawyer... he is sort of my model for "sequential careers"... I figure, ok, so I wont be a librarian with an honest to gods degree until I'm 41 or 42, but dang it all, that still gives me 40-50 years doing work I love!  He traveled a lot... he and my grandmother went back to Japan, and visited family in Italy (one of his cousins ran a POW camp of sorts there, with captured US officers picking fruit in her orchard lol), and spent time in Russia as an "ambassador" for the family beverage company.  His extended family owns the Pedroncelli vineyards in CA.  Anyway... he was a fantastic guy.  We looked into getting out there for the funeral but it would be roughly 5 thousand dollars for a there and back again quick trip soooooo.... probably not.  :(

Saw the dentist about my tooth and the good news is the tooth isn't "really" broken... it's just dinged up a bit!  But the bad news is that I have moderate gum disease and if it's not addressed soon then I'll be losing teeth within a few years.  Sooooo... I go back for what they're calling an "aggressive" cleaning (I guess it sounds better than a de-scale and tissue removal, huh?) under light sedation.  Then they'll wait a month till the tissue heals and take a look at what is left.  We'll come up with a long term treatment plan then and see how it goes.  Our insurance doesn't cover much (a % of the reasonable and customary rate as set by the insurance, not a % of the fee set by the dentist) but it's better than nothing.  And it's better to do this now rather than wait another year and be discussing dental implants and bridges.  DH needs dental work too and I feel bad... he is going to go to the "dental mill" downtown where the prices are really low so I can go to the "fancy" dentist we saw today who charges more than double but offers an "anxiety free" experience with all sorts of star trek style gadgets (remote cameras that they place in your mouth so you and they can see your teeth o a screen instead of sticking their heads into your mouth and poking around, remote x ray guns that allow them to target just the spots they want and display everything digitally so there is no wait, laser drills and focused air drills that cause less pain, sedation for any and all procedures, and an office on a cliff over the lake so each exam room is light, airy, and looking out through giant windows down to the water.  They even had a fire going in a fire place!  Very swanky.  And, well, nicer than the dental mill with it's antiseptic burnt tooth aroma.  Gah.  I'm such a wuss!  I've been getting dental work done (in one cheap office or another) since I was 6 soooooo... I don't like dental stuff.  I'm so thankful for having the chance to go the sedative route!

health- dd3 had a fever yesterday during her well child visit but was mostly chipper... just clingy and fussy.  I left for work.  When I got home I found dd1 had been throwing up for hours, dd2 had a fever of 103 and was a breath away from the ER (grey, listless, temp only down to 101 with meds), ds had a fever of 100, and dd3 was still in the 100 fever/fussy baby category.  It was just over the top.  WAAAAAAY over the top.  Today kiddos are fussy, mildly feverish, but mostly recovered.  No clue what happened there though.  It was freaky.  OH!  And ds choked on a frozen strawberry (dh made sort of strawberry lemonaid stuff to try and cool off the kids and ds "drank" a whole frozen strawberry).  Thank god dh was right there... he dropped the baby on the couch and did the modified heimlich thingie on ds.  Much crying and shaky parents.

I'm ready for a vacation!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#124 of 136 Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostThank god dh was right there... he dropped the baby on the couch and did the modified heimlich thingie on ds.  Much crying and shaky parents.

I'm ready for a vacation!

Ye Gods, Clay...you really, really do.

I used to have to do the Heimlich thingy on my ds all the time. When he was little he would always stuff huge amounts or sizes of things into his mouth, and then choke on them.

Just a week till I see M again! energy.gif luxlove.gif

Mamas, it's been ages and ages. DS got all upset yesterday: "Mama, it was just last week! Do you have to go again?"-- and I was like really indignant: "I see you every day. For hours. I see him every two months for three lousy days".

He was pretty immediately contrite thumb.gif

Speaking of ds, he has been behaving a LOT better lately! I hope the Wii and the new Bey Blades don't wear off soon lol.gif

Here is my new drawing-- I'm not sure I like it, but I got lots of compliments from the other people in the class. I think working in color is lots harder than working in B&W!

Dang, I can't upload it. It's a PDF. How do I convert it?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#125 of 136 Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM

I was starting to get excited about the thought of Spring until I woke up to snow falling this morning.  

Hey, I'm looking for some book ideas.  I want some good fiction to escape into.  Any recommendations?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#126 of 136 Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Afternoon all.

Clay I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Thinking about you and your family.

Good to hear the tooth isn't really broken, I can not take the pain at all when my teeth hurt.  It's the worst!

Thinking about everyone here, hoping things are good.  I have been so busy as I am sure everyone has been and I only jump on the computer for about 10 minutes a day.   I have really been letting almost everything in my life go.  I just sat down this morning and was thinking I really need to get back on track.  Time to slow down and stop letting everything around me control me and have me running all over. 

Waiting for Spring.  Even though it has been a mild winter I am so waiting for the day I can open the widows and stop tending the fire!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Maia, have a good, no great visit with M:) 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#127 of 136 Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM

hey all!

I still lurk, just jumpin in again here. :-) 

(The only people I keep up with regularly are those of you on my facebook, lol)

Clay-ye gods, you have a lot on your plate.  I'm sorry about your grandfather, he sounds fantastic.  I'm sure he's onto many more adventures. <3

Maia-Have a wonderful time with M!!! It's got to be so hard still not living with/near each other. :(

Gardening- J is a landscaper, so I basically tell him what I want and hbe plants it. lol.  We usually do strawberries, a salsa garden, and herbs.  PLanning more herbs and veggies this year. Just getting the starters at the store tho.  Maybe next year we will start seeds. 

Weather-This winter has been nuts.  Its been so warm!  I'm not complaining, but I'm a little nervous to see what it does to the summer here in tx. o_O  Last year, we had a really hard winter and then a really extreme summer. Maybe this whole year will be mild and delicious?!?  please?

what's new with me?  I've been in yoga teacher training.  Set to be done in May.  Also, I'm planning on returning to massage therapy school and get the 200 hours I need to be up to date (back when I went to school it was only 300, which I've completed, with the internship and everything.  Laws changed and now they need 500) but I'm not rushing.  My mom got me a table and chair in exchange for regular massages, lol. and she may continue the arrangement and help me pay for school. 

Yoga TT is amazing.  I'm finally learning a TON about the chakra system, and have some great books on the topic.  My teacher is big into using yoga and the chakra system (plus ayurveda, reiki, and more) for emotional healing. and physical, of course.  It's been amazing.

I am closing down the onlin e yarn store.  It's fun and rewarding, but not paying bills.  And since I do need to contribute to the finances, I decided to start down the path towards doing work I love that is rewarding AND pays the bills. :-) 

Incidentally the two books that I highly recommend are "The 8 Human Talents" by Gurmukh, and "eastern Body, Western Mind" by Judith Anodea.

bb

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#128 of 136 Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM

MillieIvy: the Yoga TT sounds incredible!  Thanks for the ideas on books to read.  I finished most of mine and feel like I am just wandering around looking for something to read.

It's late the late Feb/March blahs for me, I think.  I am barely motivated to do anything but complain.  WHICH IS NOT LIKE ME!  gotta get out of this funk!  Clay, why don't you come scoop me up and we'll go on a mini vaca!!  You need it much more than I do, it sounds like, though.

Maia!!  I am so happy to hear things are going well with DS.  Do you think the birthday episode made him think twice??   How fun that your visit to M is soon!!! weeeeee!!!  

I have been doing lots of research/garden planning lately.  I keep adding things I want to grow.  My latest are chamomile and sunflowers.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  redveg, I know you said you are going to grow some over YodaMae's burial plot.  Do you harvest the seeds?  I was reading that you need to put cheese cloth over the heads to keep critters away.  Does anyone do this?

This weekend was fun. We went to our winter farmer's market and the library yesterday.  Today Z and I got out a canvas for her to participate in our local Children's Art Exhibition.  I'm on the board for it and it's so great to see all the artwork from infants to adults that we receive.  

Hoping everyone is well!! 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#129 of 136 Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea 

Maia!!  I am so happy to hear things are going well with DS.  Do you think the birthday episode made him think twice??   How fun that your visit to M is soon!!! weeeeee!!!  

I have been doing lots of research/garden planning lately.  I keep adding things I want to grow.  My latest are chamomile and sunflowers.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  redveg, I know you said you are going to grow some over YodaMae's burial plot.  Do you harvest the seeds?  I was reading that you need to put cheese cloth over the heads to keep critters away.  Does anyone do this?

I know, right? Yes, I think the birthday thing was very valuable. And the Wii and the new Bey Blades/Bey stadim are a HUGE incentive. That is all he wants to do. On weekends he will do that, plus Netflix, for like 12 hours at a time. So it's very, very heavy currency right now. He behaves or I remove them. Immediately. Today he got one warning, and shaped up.

I so, so can't wait to see M. OMG, I miss him so much!

I got my cards read (by someone else, lol) yesterday, and the last part of the reading was so great, so uplifting and positive! She-- the tarot lady-- seems to think my house will sell by midsummer. Oh, cross fingers! That is later than my own timeline, but it's before school starts, so I'm down with it! I hope she's right!

Here are some of the books I'm reading right now: Cane River, Vicki Lane novels, Hood series.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#130 of 136 Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM

Re Sunflowers, I have always gotten plenty of seeds without covering them.  The birds do get some, but there have always been more than enough for my needs as well.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#131 of 136 Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Where is everybody?? Somebody invite me to the March thread when it gets up! Or I will forget!

Tomorrow I am off to see my beloved M luxlove.gif joy.gif luxlove.gifenergy.gif

Today is just a huge waiting. Even though I have tons of things to do. Ack! As usual, I will have my computer, so I can catch up with you guys. Man...I am only there F-Sa-Su and he was scheduled to have off of work on F, now he has to work!!! bawling.gif At least he works bloody EARLY (4:30am to 1:30pm) so I can sleep my usual sleep...get up around 7ish and it won't be so long till he gets home. I will walk to the corner grocery and get something for the crock pot so my love and I can have some sort of yummy anniversary dinner. I can't believe it's 2 years since our handfasting! Holy cow. He thought it was like a year since we got back together. It's been 2-1/2 already! And we are more smitten with one another than ever heartbeat.gif

#132 of 136 Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM

greenmagick: THANK YOU for the insight.  I appreciate it.

Maia: WEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joy.gif I am so excited for you!!! this must be the longest day!!!!  Safe travels!!  and Happy Anniversary!!! heartbeat.gif  

and happy leap day to everyone!! 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#133 of 136 Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Morning all.  It's snowing here right now and is going to continue until Thursday night.  It's a light snow though.  We are only supposed to get 6 to 8 inches. 

So my kids are n Winter Break and the girls are away until Friday night.  I am treating this as a trial run for how it will be when they go away to college in 6 months or so.  Gosh it's tough to be a Mom!

I hope everyone is having a great day.  Have fun visiting M Maia:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#134 of 136 Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia: WEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joy.gif I am so excited for you!!! this must be the longest day!!!!  Safe travels!!  and Happy Anniversary!!! heartbeat.gif  

Now I am kind of freaking...US Airways is issuing travel advisories for Boston. On their website. Where I went to check in for my ticket, just now. I don't care if it snows FEET as long as I can land there and get the train. Please light candles for me...I only have three days with him, and he has to work one of them! Oh, mamas....I NEED to see him. As much as I can. The good news is USAir will reissue tix for free, and waive the fee, but I could have to wait till the next day or even the next! NO!!!!! No freaking way. I need, I need, to be there tomorrow.

#135 of 136 Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Oh no Maia, good luck!

Happy Leap Day everyone. I can't believe spring is almost here! We went to the hardware store, and I've already started buying seeds and planters...

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#136 of 136 Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page