Forum Jump: 

#1 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A wonderful poem of Imbolc and Brigid on The Gods Must Be Bored ends with

Quote:
Our faith is clear in times most drear, when earth is bleak and frigid –
The gods did send a guide, a friend, to all in lovely Brigid.

May we all find friendship and guidance in this season of hope in shadow.

LionessMom and _ktg_ like this.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

And from the early Church in Ireland:

Quote:
Every day and each night
I will say the genealogy of Bride,
I will not be killed, I will not be harried,
I will not be put in a cell, I will not be wounded,
Neither will God leave me in forgetfulness.
No fire, no sun, no moon will burn me,
No lake, no water, no sea shall drown me,
No dart of fairy nor arrow of fay will wound me,
And I am under the protection of my holy mother Mary,
And her foster-mother Bride.
Genealogy of the holy maiden Bride (second verse)

Given our discussion last month about finding common ground between faiths... this seems like a nice bridge.  :)

Aubergine68 likes this.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Subbing.

Valérie   
#4 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 AM

subbing!

its been a long while since i have spent any time on MDC, but i felt compelled to join back in and im really happy i did! i miss these threads!!

Blessed Imbolc to all!

i like this verse for Imbolc...

May the light of Bridgid's

eternal fire

warm and cheer us.

May her generosity

bless us

with abundance.

May she continue

to inspire us

to follow our path.

_ktg_ likes this.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 AM

Blessed Imbolc, all!

Blessing of Brigit

Each day and each night

That I say the Descent of Brigit,

I shall not be slain,

I shall not be sworded,

I shall not be put in cell,

I shall not be hewn,

I shall not be riven,

I shall not be anguished,

I shall not be wounded,

I shall not be ravaged,

I shall not be blinded,

I shall not be made naked,

I shall not be left bare,

Nor will Christ

Leave me forgotten.

Nor fire shall burn me,

Nor sun shall burn me,

Nor moon shall blanch me.

Nor water shall drown me,

Nor flood shall drown me,

Nor brine shall drown me.

Nor seed of fairy host shall lift me,

Nor seed of airy host shall lift me,

Nor earthly being destroy me.

I am under the shielding

Of good Brigit each day;

I am under the shielding

Of good Brigit each night.

I am under the keeping

Of the Nurse of Mary

Each early and late,

Every dark, every light.

Brigit is my comrade-woman

Brigit is my maker of song,

Brigit is my helping-woman,

My choicest of women, my guide.

Being that I'm on a restricted diet, today I will have beef and cabbage, with caraway, and butter flavoring smile.gif

_ktg_ likes this.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#6 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Blessed Imbolc! 

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#7 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Blessed Imbolc!

I am way behind, between homeschool, a committee I am on, and my new class, I am rarely on mDC anymore.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Hey! New here and subbing.

Blessed Imbolc!

How are you all celebrating today? DD(4) and I are off to the store in a few to get some seeds to start indoors. Additionally, we've been working on some "spring cleaning" today. Also, I'm thinking about having a fire outside this evening, and talking a bit about how the season is beginning to end, and having some s'mores.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#9 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Blessed Imbolc Everyone!! 

If you haven't seen this yet - it's a wonderful poem from Teo Bishop!    It inspired me enough to craft a little poem out myself last night! orngbiggrin.gif

I found this little gem which I thought was perfect for today:

The Maiden comes to bring us Light
The Winter dies and all is bright
The frozen ground shall disappear
And all shall sprout for Spring is near

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#10 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Hi, I just wanted to say,  that was a lovely poem!  Thx for sharing.

#11 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Hi, I just wanted to say,  that was a lovely poem!  Thx for sharing.

#12 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Hello and MM to all the newbies! And blessed Imbolc! We didn't do anything. DS doesn't care anymore, plus, his birthday was Tuesday and Imbolc always gets overshadowed by that. There is a public ritual this Saturday, though, and we will be going to that thumb.gif

_ktg_ likes this.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#13 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 AM

Hi all! Imbolc was quiet as DD fell asleep extremely early, and then slept on through the morning. But I sent along cupcakes to her forest kindergarten for her half birthday. It's funny, but she's suddenly gotten this more grown up look to her. She makes these weird leaps and bounds like that....it freaks me out.

Anyway, thank you for the lovely poetry, all!

Come ponder with me about food!
#14 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Such a crazy week!  On Monday Ro found a qtip and *wham* into MY ear it went... I was pretty sure it was a ruptured eardrum so I called DH and he came home so we could go to the ER.  Then the minivan needed to be jumped.  At the ER they found the eardrum was ok but the qtip had cut the ear canal and the bleeding/swelling was icky.  Abx ear drops and ibuprofen and home.  Tuesday I got a second degree burn on my arm when I reached through the steam of the rice cooker... total crazy accident.  I'd moved the rice cooker (so I wasn't expecting danger where it actually was), I was making dinner early (so I forgot the darn thing was on when it was), and I was reaching for something I generally use only first thing in the morning.  At first I couldn't even figure out what was causing the pain in my arm!  So the blisters have shrunk but there is still a half dollar sized circle of burned me.  Thankfully Wed was calm, but yesterday I caught a cold and today I feel like I've been hit by the sore throat gremlin.  LOL

I made the waking earth molasses cake from the Imbolc section of Cooking Like a Goddess and re-decorated the nature table and family altar with "early spring" things and sheep.  I wanted to do more but between the ear, the burn, the cold, and the time at my new job I'm exhausted.  DH and I both have tomorrow off though and we're gonna rock the world of home improvement.  Oh, and we were given a couch!  No mold this time, though it /is/ used.  It's very old fashioned (sort of a straight back and sides, kind of like a wingback chair that's been stretched?) but the smaller scale is what we need... our home is tiny and most modern furniture is just out of our scale (and budget, but even if we had the money, we wouldn't have the sq/footage).  It has three cushions though.  It's just narrow front to back.  There is a matching armchair and footstool too!  It's a floral fabric, so it's sort of Imbolc decoration, right?  We have to pick it up at the shop...

The kids sing a "seasonal verse" over their bedtime candles.  I'm ready for a more spring themed tune... any suggestions?  Right now they sing (to the tune of london bridge):

Winter's night is really long, really long, really long

Winter's night is really long, Come Back Sun!

Usually the girls make up the verse but for some reason they're drawing a blank... maybe because it really doesn't feel any different right now?

#15 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Hellllooooo everyone!!! coolshine.gif

Is it really the 4th already? 

We're holding off our family Imbolc celebration until Monday...the sprouts weren't QUITE as far along as I wanted them to and I didn't feel ready.  It was a wild week (albeit, not as wild as YOURS, Clay!!!  glad you're okay, mama!) lots of visiting being done so I'm looking forward to this next week which *SO FAR* looks quieter.  I'm planning to do a little indoor light garden (idea from celebrating the great mother).  I've put some seeds on my altar as well wrapped a light green scarf around it.  It's the scarf I usually wear to our local "Parade Day" which, for me, marks the earliest days of spring.  It's when we celebrate St. Patrick's Day here.  A lot of the Pipe and Drum bands that are local go to NYC or Philly parades for St. Pat's day so we do it early so we can have everyone participate.  It's stinkin' awesome, it truly feels like we are welcoming spring - everyone is out on the street for the first time!  Although, like you said, Clay, it's not like it feels much different!! 

As a carryover from last month here's info on sprouting for those of you who were wondering about it: http://sproutpeople.org/sprouts/grow/sprouting.html  hopefully the link works.  

Big hugs to all and a very merry meet to those of you who are new!! joy.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#16 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Hello! Welcome to the new posters!! 

witchy-My kids do that to me, too. Its like suddenly I look at them and they've grown two inches, lost baby fat and look a lot older. Its kind of sad and wonderful, like so much related to parenting...

Clay-Goodness, what a week! Thank goodness you are ok all in all though. Hope the sore throat goes away soon. There are very few things that are worse than a sore throat in my book. How's the job going? Are you managing pumping ok?

Ya know, you always have such neat Pagan-y things you do with your kiddos. Its usually in passing-such as the bedtime candles. Would you mind sharing a few other things you do with your kids? I'd love some ideas. smile.gif

Vydalea-Sounds like a fun Imbolc! I'm also going to do the light garden from Celebrating the Great Mother. I really like that book. Its not too in depth, but for a beginner family, its pretty darn good!

Would anyone mind sharing what their alter is like? Do you generally use a lot of the traditional items (wand, cauldron, water, salt etc) or just things that mean something to you? I'm feeling pretty stuck with my alter. It just doesn't feel right and now feels like the time I need to start really focusing on it. 

Otherwise, I'm extremely ready for the Super Bowl to be over over over! (I live in Indianapolis.) DH works for the company that has the food contract with Lucas Oil Stadium so we haven't really seen him this past week. The very fantastic good news is he's getting a TON of overtime. He'll easily hit 80hrs this pay period-woo! Our bank account will be extra happy, lol. But I still miss my hubby and the kiddos keep asking for him. Its sad. He doesn't even have the time to stop and call us to talk for ten minutes. Maia-Dunno how you do it, hun! I really really don't! 

Well, I think the beeswax to make dipping candles with DD is nearly melted. It only took forty five minutes. uhoh3.gif So off we go to make some Imbolc candles!!!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#17 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Just went to a love, sex, and food class with Dawn Hunt, who is the kitchen with of the Temple of Witchcraft. OMGs, that was enjoyable. Of course, I went home to a very awake 3 year old. Oh well!

Come ponder with me about food!
#18 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostWould anyone mind sharing what their alter is like? Do you generally use a lot of the traditional items (wand, cauldron, water, salt etc) or just things that mean something to you? I'm feeling pretty stuck with my alter. It just doesn't feel right and now feels like the time I need to start really focusing on it. 

But I still miss my hubby and the kiddos keep asking for him. Its sad. He doesn't even have the time to stop and call us to talk for ten minutes. Maia-Dunno how you do it, hun! I really really don't! 

ALTAR ALTAR ALTAR. It's spelled with TWO A'S!

"Alter" is to change something. Like putting a hem in pants, for instance. I'm not just yelling at you, 3X...people keep posting it with an A and an E every Pagan holiday and it's a huge pet peeve with me hide.gif

Oh, about M...I do it because I have to. There's no other way, at the moment. But we are grateful for what we have. It's like single parenthood-- people always ask me how in the world I do it. I do it because that's what I was given--- and besides, it's not like I can send him back (ds) lol.gif

The ritual tonight was lovely. I have been going to these public rituals for years, and I love love love the Brigid one.

#19 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

ALTAR ALTAR ALTAR. It's spelled with TWO A'S!

"Alter" is to change something. Like putting a hem in pants, for instance. I'm not just yelling at you, 3X...people keep posting it with an A and an E every Pagan holiday and it's a huge pet peeve with me hide.gif

bag.gif Oops. Honestly, I've never even noticed a difference in spelling. Possibly because so many ppl misspell it?? I'll watch that from now on. 

#20 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

bag.gif Oops. Honestly, I've never even noticed a difference in spelling. Possibly because so many ppl misspell it?? I'll watch that from now on. 

LOL, sorry redface.gif Really I am not yelling at you! hug2.gif Yes, you're probably right. About so many people misspelling it. I am Grammar Police and honestly sometimes I hate it, because I notice so much digression with the language. Misspellings on billboards! I mean the "your" for "you're" all the time, and the internet abbreviations...have seriously contributed to it. It's bloody awful. It's not just you; it's everywhere. And the fact that so many people have given up on reading does not help.

#21 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

I think some of it (spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc) come from auto-correct features.  Or the lack of them (I live by the spell checker).  LOL

Pagan kids- I'm not sure what to say.  Ummmm.  LOL  :)  Let's see.  We recite the "verse of the month" from the book Be Blest each morning before homeschool.  We sing a blessing over dinner (from the Waldorf tradition, it's the "blessings on the blossom/blessings on the fruit/blessings on the leaf and stem/blessings on the root" I think you can hear it here maybe?).  At night, after shower/teeth/jammies, we turn off the lights and light three candles on the nature table... we sing our evening verse, each kiddo blows out one candle, and they go straight to bed (where dh reads them a story and leaves them with one of the Putamayo's world music discs playing). 

Then I try and work our spirituality into daily life... so I'll ask one of the girls to sprinkle the rosemary and salt into the mopping water and mention WHY as she does it (purification, to remove energetic as well as physical grime, etc).  Or I'll remind Tor to stir the cake batter in a clockwise direction to bring blessings into the food.  Or talk about washing away "ickies" in the shower, or using grounding/centering to release energy during a tantrum.  Or ask the kiddos to take the offerings out to the earth altar in back (during warm weather, I set aside a little of our food/drink before each meal as an offering... just a crumb and a drop or two, it goes into a bowl over the stove and I take it out if the weather is bad, or the kids take it out to the earth altar if the weather is good).  Oh, and we have an earth altar out back and a nature table/family altar inside.  The outside altar is at the foot of a tree where a root makes a sort of "hole into the earth".  There is a small copper bowl set into the ground, the natural hole into the underworld, and the tree reaching up into the sky.  It's next to the spot where we have our monthly spiral so I usually put a candle in the copper bowl during the spiral to mark one of the directions.  Inside we have the nature table where the kids put their stuff... little wooden animals, pinecones or nuts or stones from walks, bits of fluff or sparkle they find, and so on.  Then there is the family nature table/family altar where I keep the candles and "delicate" stuff that I want out but not "played with".  There are two other altars in the house... a more "formal" altar on top of the piano (our seasonal offering bowl, our smaller offering bowl, statues, divination tools, important books, the whole "shrine" package) that changes with the holy days.  And a tiny pocket altar next to my nursing chair with a few mother/child icons, my kitchen tarot cards, and a few meditation/quote books.  Ooops, I lie.  The kids have an altar of sorts in their room... they have little alpaca wool sleep angels/fairies, night lights shapes like toadstools and candles (from Target), and things they have added or made (like grapevine dream-catchers or feathers from the chickens).

work- so far so good.  just really tired... the work itself is fun, the people are fun... some of it is stressful just because there are gaps between learning/doing (I learn something on Thursday, but it's a full week before I put it into practice and when it's on my own a bit lol).  Mostly it's just a matter of living with less sleep.  I'm up at 5am and not home from work till 8pm.  So it's a looooong day on those days!

#22 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:

LOL, sorry redface.gif Really I am not yelling at you! hug2.gif Yes, you're probably right. About so many people misspelling it. I am Grammar Police and honestly sometimes I hate it, because I notice so much digression with the language. Misspellings on billboards! I mean the "your" for "you're" all the time, and the internet abbreviations...have seriously contributed to it. It's bloody awful. It's not just you; it's everywhere. And the fact that so many people have given up on reading does not help.

Ya know, normally I am very much a grammar police, too. The you're/you there/their/they're etc make me very twitchy. I have a hard time taking someone seriously if they get those types of things mixed up. So I'm pretty annoyed with myself for having never even noticed there was a difference in the spelling! No worries. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I think some of it (spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc) come from auto-correct features.  Or the lack of them (I live by the spell checker).  LOL

Pagan kids- I'm not sure what to say.  Ummmm.  LOL  :)  Let's see.  We recite the "verse of the month" from the book Be Blest each morning before homeschool.  We sing a blessing over dinner (from the Waldorf tradition, it's the "blessings on the blossom/blessings on the fruit/blessings on the leaf and stem/blessings on the root" I think you can hear it here maybe?).  At night, after shower/teeth/jammies, we turn off the lights and light three candles on the nature table... we sing our evening verse, each kiddo blows out one candle, and they go straight to bed (where dh reads them a story and leaves them with one of the Putamayo's world music discs playing). 

Then I try and work our spirituality into daily life... so I'll ask one of the girls to sprinkle the rosemary and salt into the mopping water and mention WHY as she does it (purification, to remove energetic as well as physical grime, etc).  Or I'll remind Tor to stir the cake batter in a clockwise direction to bring blessings into the food.  Or talk about washing away "ickies" in the shower, or using grounding/centering to release energy during a tantrum.  Or ask the kiddos to take the offerings out to the earth altar in back (during warm weather, I set aside a little of our food/drink before each meal as an offering... just a crumb and a drop or two, it goes into a bowl over the stove and I take it out if the weather is bad, or the kids take it out to the earth altar if the weather is good).  Oh, and we have an earth altar out back and a nature table/family altar inside.  The outside altar is at the foot of a tree where a root makes a sort of "hole into the earth".  There is a small copper bowl set into the ground, the natural hole into the underworld, and the tree reaching up into the sky.  It's next to the spot where we have our monthly spiral so I usually put a candle in the copper bowl during the spiral to mark one of the directions.  Inside we have the nature table where the kids put their stuff... little wooden animals, pinecones or nuts or stones from walks, bits of fluff or sparkle they find, and so on.  Then there is the family nature table/family altar where I keep the candles and "delicate" stuff that I want out but not "played with".  There are two other altars in the house... a more "formal" altar on top of the piano (our seasonal offering bowl, our smaller offering bowl, statues, divination tools, important books, the whole "shrine" package) that changes with the holy days.  And a tiny pocket altar next to my nursing chair with a few mother/child icons, my kitchen tarot cards, and a few meditation/quote books.  Ooops, I lie.  The kids have an altar of sorts in their room... they have little alpaca wool sleep angels/fairies, night lights shapes like toadstools and candles (from Target), and things they have added or made (like grapevine dream-catchers or feathers from the chickens).

work- so far so good.  just really tired... the work itself is fun, the people are fun... some of it is stressful just because there are gaps between learning/doing (I learn something on Thursday, but it's a full week before I put it into practice and when it's on my own a bit lol).  Mostly it's just a matter of living with less sleep.  I'm up at 5am and not home from work till 8pm.  So it's a looooong day on those days!

Thanks for the information! There's a lot in there for me to glean from. :) I'm just trying to bring religion more into our daily life and its been a struggle for me, probably because I lived without religion being a normal aspect of daily life pretty much my whole life. Other than the Be Blest book, did/do you use any books/websites/etc for inspiration? 

#23 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostWe recite the "verse of the month" from the book Be Blest each morning before homeschool.  We sing a blessing over dinner (from the Waldorf tradition, it's the "blessings on the blossom/blessings on the fruit/blessings on the leaf and stem/blessings on the root" I think you can hear it here maybe?).  At night, after shower/teeth/jammies, we turn off the lights and light three candles on the nature table... we sing our evening verse, each kiddo blows out one candle, and they go straight to bed (where dh reads them a story and leaves them with one of the Putamayo's world music discs playing). 

Maybe you could post the "verse of the month" on here? I'm sure it's not just me that would love to see it! loveeyes.gif Pretty please?

We used to do a bunch of different blessings at meals. Then (I have no idea where I got it) I got a book with a whole bunch of blessings from all sorts of traditions. Most are Christian, but they are from all sources: Native American peoples, Pagan, Buddhist...some are found on walls of old monasteries and such. Religious graffiti lol.gif

The public ritual last night was lovely, as usual! I have been going to this one (and all her holy day rituals) for a couple of years now. I love them, especially the Brigid/Imbolc one. Last night, a Scottish woman called the East, and talked about Brigid traditions in her home country, and it was so fitting to hear that accent in ritual. Not to mention I just die to hear Scottish/Irish accents anyway.

The Episcopal Church of All Souls (it is GORGEOUS-- go here http://www.allsoulscathedral.org/ and see if you can get pix) allows us to hold Wiccan ritual there, in their parish hall, during the dark half of the year. How cool is that? And last night...I have never noticed it before, but I kept hearing the church bells tolling the quarter hour. During ritual. During chants. I so felt like I was on Avalon, in the mists!

#24 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hey all,

I've been overwhelmed the last month, but hopefully that whole thing is slowing down now.

I'm kinda out of it at the moment - I just spent a half hour crying my eyes out. That always makes me a bit fuzzy-wuzzy.

I have pics of my altar, as well as our approach to teaching the kids HERE, and more teaching of the kids HERE.

Imbolc was basic - cooked up a turkey, explained the day to the kids... that's it.

I'll try to keep up better...

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#25 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Greetings Pagan Mamas!

I'm not sure if I've posted in other threads or not (I tend to just lurk).  We didn't do much this year of Imbolc, just went around lighting candles in each room when the sun went down.  DH followed behind me with DD so that she could take part too.  He's not a Pagan but is super supportive and wanted DD to be a part of the celebration.

Brighid seems to of lit a fire in my pants this year.  Leading up to Imbolc I felt a huge urge to read as much as I could about it and start up my studies again.  I feels great to be studying again.

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#26 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Maybe you could post the "verse of the month" on here? I'm sure it's not just me that would love to see it! loveeyes.gif Pretty please?

We used to do a bunch of different blessings at meals. Then (I have no idea where I got it) I got a book with a whole bunch of blessings from all sorts of traditions. Most are Christian, but they are from all sources: Native American peoples, Pagan, Buddhist...some are found on walls of old monasteries and such. Religious graffiti lol.gif

The public ritual last night was lovely, as usual! I have been going to this one (and all her holy day rituals) for a couple of years now. I love them, especially the Brigid/Imbolc one. Last night, a Scottish woman called the East, and talked about Brigid traditions in her home country, and it was so fitting to hear that accent in ritual. Not to mention I just die to hear Scottish/Irish accents anyway.

The Episcopal Church of All Souls (it is GORGEOUS-- go here http://www.allsoulscathedral.org/ and see if you can get pix) allows us to hold Wiccan ritual there, in their parish hall, during the dark half of the year. How cool is that? And last night...I have never noticed it before, but I kept hearing the church bells tolling the quarter hour. During ritual. During chants. I so felt like I was on Avalon, in the mists!

I'm thinking I'm going to start a blessing at dinner. DH isn't Pagan (he's agnostic), but he's supportive. I also want to set up a little altar on the kitchen counter and put an offering into it at meal time, esp dinner. I noticed today while I was watching the Super Bowl (yay Giants!!!) that the top of our entertainment center is a fantastic place for a family altar. It wouldn't have to be conspicuous at all, but something meaningful for our family that will change with the seasons. Then the one in the kitchen and a personal altar for me in my bedroom on top of my dresser. I don't think it will change with the seasons, just as I feel moved to do so...ok, now I'm starting to think out loud! I'll quit!

Sounds like a gorgeous ritual! I'm a little jealous! orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Hey all,

I've been overwhelmed the last month, but hopefully that whole thing is slowing down now.

I'm kinda out of it at the moment - I just spent a half hour crying my eyes out. That always makes me a bit fuzzy-wuzzy.

I have pics of my altar, as well as our approach to teaching the kids HERE, and more teaching of the kids HERE.

Imbolc was basic - cooked up a turkey, explained the day to the kids... that's it.

I'll try to keep up better...

hug2.gif Hope you feel better after a good cry. And thanks for the links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithnea View Post

Greetings Pagan Mamas!

I'm not sure if I've posted in other threads or not (I tend to just lurk).  We didn't do much this year of Imbolc, just went around lighting candles in each room when the sun went down.  DH followed behind me with DD so that she could take part too.  He's not a Pagan but is super supportive and wanted DD to be a part of the celebration.

Brighid seems to of lit a fire in my pants this year.  Leading up to Imbolc I felt a huge urge to read as much as I could about it and start up my studies again.  I feels great to be studying again.

Hello, merry meet! Sounds like a fantastic Imbolc! I also enjoy studying, esp my religion as that fills me up in many ways. Look forward to seeing you around more!!

#27 of 136 Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Ok, as I sit here, I can hear the rumble from all the fireworks going off in downtown Indy from the Super Bowl. I can't see anything, but I can hear it. I'm a good 15 miles from downtown. bigeyes.gif Kinda freaked me out and I had no one to share it with since everyone is asleep at my house. So I share with you lovely ladies!! lol.gif

BTW-So glad its over! DH worked 60 hours in four days. He was at work from 6am til 11:45pm Friday. Not cool. He's home and out cold now, poor guy! sleeping.gif

#28 of 136 Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 AM

Altars: My altar currently has a candle in a chalice (because I'm UU), pine cones, a rock from Lake Michigan, a goose feather, an ivy plant, and my book of shadows. When we get to the dark side of the moon, I'll add my tarot cards. I also have an ancestors' altar with a few pictures of my beloved dead and a small porcelain offering bowl. I also have an altar for the kitchen that's just a candle and an offering bowl. Nothing too fancy.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#29 of 136 Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Subbing.  My computer died and I had to drop it off for repair.  I did not like being without it, that's for sure.

I also had to go out of state for a couple of days due to Roo's much needed Neuropsych appointments.

Now I'm back and have a raging case of tennis elbow.  I think carrying ds to bed last night was the last straw.  That's when the pain really hit.  Now I have to type with one hand.  Of course, it's the left arm and that's my dominant one.

We've been hanging in spiritual limbo for too long.  I miss having a pagan/earth based community (in real life.)  Another reason to move back to RI.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#30 of 136 Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM

thanks to everyone who is sharing their traditions and altars.  i'm just popping in quickly...I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

and yes, we were VERY happy for the Giants.  

oh, 3x, I hope you were okay after the firework display.  That must have been pretty wild to hear them so clearly.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page