looking for a different way in life - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been looking in all sorts of places, trying to find somewhere i would fit in and get information. I'm looking for a new religion. I have interests in witchcraft, for the earth, sun and moon. for nature and a belief in something more. The only thing i got close to was Appalachian granny witchcraft. but not allot of information there. I just need some information on different traditions so i can make a decision. I see allot of different religion on here and i hope you guys can help. I'm going to start a garden this year and hope i can grow herbs for my ideas. this is not just a whim , i have been thinking on this for several years now. i feel close to nature and animals. i feel a connection, but i cant put my finger on it or a name.confused.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It took me many months and lots and lots of reading before I hit on something that felt right to me. I just got book after book by various authors on Witchcraft and took the pieces that felt right to me and put them together. Its taken even more time and more meditation and thought and chewing over things to really come to an idea of what I truly believe. 

In my honest opinion, I would say find books and read read read. Online sources are okay, but I find they can be kind of hokey and not truly Pagan, if that makes much sense. Its usually a grouping of love spells that seem put together by 'tween girls and is very stereotypical witchcraft, not truly a religion. I hope that makes sense! Anyway, books. Something will eventually strike you and call to you. Follow it. Since you seem drawn to Appalachian granny magick and close to nature and animals, maybe try books on Native American shamanism and go from there. Don't be surprised if you end up drawn to something else, tho. I searched and searched through many books, I felt I leaned towards Celtic Druidism but the book that ended up truly speaking to me was called The Mysteries of Isis and something I grabbed on a whim as a last resort. Very different that what I expected, but very much what I needed.

So I guess my thought is to keep searching and read through whatever you can get your hands on. Start with what feels right (again, I'd advise Native American Shamanism) and go where your heart leads you! Here are a few titles from Amazon to help you get started:

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Medicine-Visionary-American-Shamanism/dp/0806903643/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328715952&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Spirits-Earth-American-Symbols-Ceremonies/dp/0452276500/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328715952&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Native-American-Spirituality-Heart-Others/dp/1438263260/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328716088&sr=1-13

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-My-Mother-Teachings-American/dp/0425161609/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328716127&sr=1-14

Many blessings!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

One of the things about NA shamanism that I could not wrap my head around--

I began reading a wise woman book on women shamans (sorry, I can't remember the name) and she made a very eloquent point, that these encounters with animals talking with the women were not mystical, not metaphorical, but REAL.  She made that point because we in the euro-centric traditions tend to see these types of stories as metaphors for a deeper spiritualism and that is not the point at all.  The woman who spoke to a hummingbird spoke to a hummingbird.

Like I said, I just couldn't wrap my head around that, but perhaps others will find it inspiring.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I don't post here but I do read because like you I don't "belong" anywhere. I just read a lot & pay attention to what is going on around me. I keep the bits that make sense to me & let go of the rest. I've heard that path be called eclectic once. Sometimes it can be lonely, but I just consider that a phase. Like minded company will come in its time.

Honestly I no longer worry about what to call it. I just do what I do & keep learning & growing. There is room for all our paths no matter where we are on them. Good luck!

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

User Tag List