March Pagan Family Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 147 Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, starting a new thread as we MARCH towards spring!

We had beautiful, beautiful weather yesterday for Leap Day, but the temps have fallen again. I saw a robing this week, so I think it's time to accept that winter never really came. I'm not complaining, at least not about the weather!

I've been working on losing weight. I have to say, so far, I feel horrible: constantly hungry, constantly exhausted, constantly achy. It gets better, right? I rather be fat than feel this way for the rest of my life.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 147 Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM

We've had very little snow this winter but it has been snowing on and off for the past couple of days.  All the lovely flower sprouts are now covered in snow.  

I want Spring!

As for weight:  I've been eating a lot less and I....gained 2 lbs.  How frustrating!  I was even more active (not by a huge amount but definitely more than I had been during the past few months.)  

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#3 of 147 Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

Happy March!

We're starting the month with snow! lol.gif

Valérie   
#4 of 147 Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Happy March everyone! grouphug.gif

I'm trying to get back on to the MDC groove lately. I was reading the Feb thread but thought I'd jump in with this new one.

We've had THE mildest winter I've ever known here in the midwest -- and I'm not complaining. It was nearly 70 degrees yesterday. Fabulous! 

Still doing the home/unschooling and the low carb living thing and just enjoying our days. joy.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#5 of 147 Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Mary, are you really technically midwest? I thought you were way too east to be midwest. Now I am wondering what are the midwest states!

I am up here at M's...thought the snow was going to seriously threaten my travel, then the night before last, we had a huge storm in NC and lost power at 9pm. I called M at 3am to tell him about this, and thank the Gods, it came back on at 3:30am!! Turns out the entire of NC and some of GA and SC and maybe even VA lost power. Crazy. And it was one of those short ones-- over in like one minute, I kid you not.

So here I am....OMG, mamas...I do not know how to say this. Last night, my first night here, we got into some hot'n'heavy, and right at the very..um...peak moment...I broke him. His...his hoodly-hoo broke. OMG. Something happened and it got bent the wrong way.

We have been doing some research online, and he doesn't think it's bad enough to require medical attention, but it's purple and bruisy and very scary looking. It's pretty bruised. But it's not swollen and he says it doesn't hurt. It did last night, but not today.

I think we have to probably abstain from any more sex this trip greensad.gif but he thinks he wants to try some more. I said not today, no way, let's just let it rest for at least a day! I honestly think if I lived here, he should let it rest for a week or two, but he doesn't seem to think it's that bad. I guess, it's his body part, he should be the one to determine that, but I don't want him to overextend (oooh, bad pun, sorry), either. Thoughts?

So he ended up having to work today anyway. I am trying to get my lazy arse out of the house and walk to the store, but I don't think I have proper footwear to do that, and it's freaking way colder than I am used to, but if I am going to live up here, I better acclimate, huh?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#6 of 147 Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

As for weight:  I've been eating a lot less and I....gained 2 lbs.  How frustrating!  I was even more active (not by a huge amount but definitely more than I had been during the past few months.)  

That sucks. Maybe it's weight put on by some muscle? You can always hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post
We're starting the month with snow! lol.gif

Keep your snow to yourself. We are supposed to get rain, rain, rain today. I keep oscillating between taking the kids out to return a movie or not this morning; I'm scared to walk 1 1/2 miles with the kids one way and then it rain. When my kids are miserable (and it's cold enough that the rain would be miserable - we haven't bought new rain gear yet, and at least for my younger child, our rain gear is too small), they walk SO SLOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Mary, are you really technically midwest? I thought you were way too east to be midwest. Now I am wondering what are the midwest states!

I am up here at M's...thought the snow was going to seriously threaten my travel, then the night before last, we had a huge storm in NC and lost power at 9pm. I called M at 3am to tell him about this, and thank the Gods, it came back on at 3:30am!! Turns out the entire of NC and some of GA and SC and maybe even VA lost power. Crazy. And it was one of those short ones-- over in like one minute, I kid you not.

So here I am....OMG, mamas...I do not know how to say this. Last night, my first night here, we got into some hot'n'heavy, and right at the very..um...peak moment...I broke him. His...his hoodly-hoo broke. OMG. Something happened and it got bent the wrong way.

We have been doing some research online, and he doesn't think it's bad enough to require medical attention, but it's purple and bruisy and very scary looking. It's pretty bruised. But it's not swollen and he says it doesn't hurt. It did last night, but not today.

I think we have to probably abstain from any more sex this trip greensad.gif but he thinks he wants to try some more. I said not today, no way, let's just let it rest for at least a day! I honestly think if I lived here, he should let it rest for a week or two, but he doesn't seem to think it's that bad. I guess, it's his body part, he should be the one to determine that, but I don't want him to overextend (oooh, bad pun, sorry), either. Thoughts?

So he ended up having to work today anyway. I am trying to get my lazy arse out of the house and walk to the store, but I don't think I have proper footwear to do that, and it's freaking way colder than I am used to, but if I am going to live up here, I better acclimate, huh?

Indiana is definitely the midwest. We are actually thinking about moving to Indiana (not as far east as Indianapolis though) because of how much cheaper everything is there. I thought it was a hard place to homeschool, though, Mary?

Maia - Wow! I have no advice. I hope it heals quickly!

So, my husband has been gone for extremely long days. Today, he'll only be gone for 10 1/2 hours, which is kind of exciting, since he's been gone 16 hours every day this week thus far. And then...it's the weekend. I'm hoping to find some time to declutter to get ready for the equinox/treasure map.... I'm pretty behind what I'd like to have done, but when you have a family of four living in a two bedroom apartment, the clutter accumulates FAST!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#7 of 147 Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maia-Mary3Mama is in the Midwest. We are both in Indy (HI Mary!!) so I'm sure. winky.gif The Midwest states are Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Illinois and I *think* Tennessee. 

And holy ouchies! bigeyes.gif I have heard of that happening. No advice other than let the poor man heal! 

revolting and DoK-At least you are trying to lose weight! I need to so badly I just....don't. I'm pretty scared of the whole thing. I really tried about a year ago and ended up losing almost nothing in a month, got mad and quit, refusing to ever try again (realistic, hey?). I was only about 2 months postpartum so I should've given myself a little more leniency, but I was two months postpartum and hormonal. lol.gif So now I keep saying I will try when I'm done breastfeeding and off the zoloft (severe ppd) (which I do think has played a big part in it, both the depression and the anti depressant). Maybe someday it'll actually happen....shrug.gif

I agree w/ Mary, this has been a crazy mild winter. The past several have been worse than usual, though, so that is probably coloring it some. I am enjoying the lovely early spring weather though. Except today we have a good chance of severe weather and I could happily do without that.

As for me, sorry I've not been around a lot. Its been a whole lot of awful here and I've not wanted to be around people, even virtual ones. Its been one damn thing after another. Nothing particularly bad on its own, but multiple things day after day...On the plus side, though, DH and I got a new (to us) bed! My parents got new mattresses and gave us their "old" king size Tempurpedic mattress. bigeyes.gif Its so comfy and cozy, we are in looove. love.gif And for DH's birthday, our best friend gave him a brand new 42" TV. jaw.gif Its very pretty but I have no idea how she afforded it. Its not my place to tell her what to do with her money, but I did fight her on the decision. She did what she wanted, anyway, but I'm a little shocked by it. She is one who gives because she likes to give, but that's too much. But, now we have a pretty HDTV to play video games on and watch Netflix soooo....WOO!

I'm hoping to be around more this month, but don't count on it. My dad is having surgery next week Thursday and I will be caring for him full time once he's out of the hospital. *Sigh* This is definately one of the times I wish I had a sibling.....

Ok, DS1 needs a diaper change and I just looked behind me to see that the boys have dumped out 2 500 piece puzzles and 4 100 piece puzzles...*sigh* I need a drink.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#8 of 147 Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Well, the good news is, I think it hasn't bent permanently out of its usual shape. It hasn't bent at all, out of its usual shape. It only bent temporarily *in the moment*.

Thank the Gods. That can happen! And I saw some scary-ugly-freaky things that can happen as a result of this, and the scary-ugly-freaky photos of things that can happen in/because of surgery related to! Holy cow.

I am glad (again!) that all my delicate parts are safely tucked inside, huh? I would NOT want one of those. Penis envy, my arse! Not envious! Not!

Losing weight: read this

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#9 of 147 Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I think you might be remembering when we lived in the Wash DC area (MD & WV) for a few years. We've been back in the midwest/Indiana/Indianapolis for about 18 mos. now. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xMama View Post

Maia-Mary3Mama is in the Midwest. We are both in Indy (HI Mary!!) so I'm sure. winky.gif The Midwest states are Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Illinois and I *think* Tennessee. 

hola.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Indiana is definitely the midwest. We are actually thinking about moving to Indiana (not as far east as Indianapolis though) because of how much cheaper everything is there. I thought it was a hard place to homeschool, though, Mary?

Indiana is probably the easiest place to homeschool in the whole country -- or at least one of several equally easy ones. 

At least currently there is no requirement to register -- you can if you wish. There is no reporting, no testing, no asking for permission. Homeschools are legally considered to be just like all other non-public schools. It is fantastic. After living in both Maryland and West Virginia in the last few years, I really appreciate the ease of homeschooling here. love.gif

Where in Indiana might you relocate? The greater Indianapolis area is nice. There are so many wonderful communities in the counties encircling Indy itself. Especially if you look south or west of Indy there are great, affordable neighborhoods. We lived in Indy/Marion Co. for the first few years and have lived just north of Marion Co. (Hamilton Co.) since. The prices are higher in Boone & Hamilton Counties...but it is where we are nonetheless. 

There are lots of homeschooling groups and meetups plus parks everywhere, museums, the zoo, etc. We are very glad to be back here. 

Maryhippie.gif

#10 of 147 Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Nah, Mary, I've known you've been in Indy for awhile now. I just didn't realize it was that far west! I think of midwest like in...hmm, Nebraska? Wisconsin maybe? Not sure. I'm not very geographically competent. I can probably label most states on an unlabeled map, but the delineations for west/midwest/etc. would be blurry, at best, for me.

M's part is feeling much better joy.gifIt's not up to par yet, though. He managed to show some....um, physical enthusiasm? for me earlier when we were making out some, so we know it still works properly, but he said it hurt still, a bit, and he agreed with me that we should let it rest some more. But yay, it does work! redface.gif I know this sounds silly and kind of embarrassing to write about, but man. I had to tell somebody.

I can't freaking wait till tomorrow. He said he thinks he'll be ready to test it out orngbiggrin.gif

Heather, how are you, hon?

#11 of 147 Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, the good news is, I think it hasn't bent permanently out of its usual shape. It hasn't bent at all, out of its usual shape. It only bent temporarily *in the moment*.

Thank the Gods. That can happen! And I saw some scary-ugly-freaky things that can happen as a result of this, and the scary-ugly-freaky photos of things that can happen in/because of surgery related to! Holy cow.

I am glad (again!) that all my delicate parts are safely tucked inside, huh? I would NOT want one of those. Penis envy, my arse! Not envious! Not!

Losing weight: read this

I'm working my way through the thread and finished the Pounds and Inches book. I still can't tell if this is something you can do while breastfeeding.

Mary - We'd be thinking of moving just east of the Illinois-Indiana border. I have family in the south suburbs of Chicago just west of the border, and we were thinking about going east. I don't know the area horribly well: my grandmother lives down there, and I definitely know her neighborhood has been getting rougher. But we'd want to live somewhere we could commute to Chicago.

Quote:

Nah, Mary, I've known you've been in Indy for awhile now. I just didn't realize it was that far west! I think of midwest like in...hmm, Nebraska? Wisconsin maybe? Not sure. I'm not very geographically competent. I can probably label most states on an unlabeled map, but the delineations for west/midwest/etc. would be blurry, at best, for me.

M's part is feeling much better joy.gifIt's not up to par yet, though. He managed to show some....um, physical enthusiasm? for me earlier when we were making out some, so we know it still works properly, but he said it hurt still, a bit, and he agreed with me that we should let it rest some more. But yay, it does work! redface.gif I know this sounds silly and kind of embarrassing to write about, but man. I had to tell somebody.

I can't freaking wait till tomorrow. He said he thinks he'll be ready to test it out orngbiggrin.gif

Heather, how are you, hon?

I'm glad M is feeling better!

#12 of 147 Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI'm glad M is feeling better!

He's not up to par, yet. We still can't have sex...and probably won't be able to this trip at all mecry.gifHe's understandably concerned about it, even though it doesn't hurt much except in the one spot where it likely "broke", but I'm understandably feeling sorry for myself, and he is feeling like a failure, and we're both a little strained because of that. But we're trying to push through it and be close anyway. Ugh. This sucks.

#13 of 147 Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Happy March, everyone!!!

Maia, I'm glad you arrived safely in M's arms and didn't actually break his wang.  Sounds like it's just bruised?  oy.  That's rough.  yikes.  I can't remember, when do you go back?

3x: Good luck with your dad!  I noticed you were gone for a bit and was wondering how you were.

revolting: a robin!  wow!  Yeah, no real winter here, either.  Today it really feels like spring has sprung.  The annual St Pat's day parade was today which is the marking point for our family that we made it through the winter.  It was 55!  Which for this area is BALMY!! ha!

I'm beat now, though.  We had about a dozen people over for a pre-parade gathering and then the parade was about 2 hours long.  Not so much excited about the St. Patrick part of the day but the whole community comes out and it's a really awesome sense of togetherness.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#14 of 147 Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia, I'm glad you arrived safely in M's arms and didn't actually break his wang.  Sounds like it's just bruised?  oy.  That's rough.  yikes.  I can't remember, when do you go back?

Freaking Monday. I go back day after tomorrow.

Actually, we did some research online, and there is a vast continuum of injuries that can happen with that, from very mild to really, really serious. Some guys can never have sex again! No erections and all that! Some get bent wangs and have to have surgery to correct it, if they mind it's bent funny or if it hurts. M has none of those things; it's just...it's purple, and he's a white guy, so it really does look weird, I have to say huh.gif He looks like he's two races, if you look at that part. Eek. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

But it still hurts him, and now he thinks it will take months to heal! He's such a...what is it my mom used to call me when I was little? Someone who is hugely prone to hyperbole. Exaggeration. I think it'll take a good two weeks, but not months. And I think if I were here permanently, it wouldn't really be much of a setback, but I'm here three days every two months! Plus, his lousy self-esteem doesn't help any. He's pulling away because I guess he feels like a failure on legs, and this solidifies that (in his mind), and I am uber-needy and all I really want is lots of snuggling and kissing to make up for the lack of sex...but it's not happening. Much. He's trying to be more available, and I'm trying to be less needy....shit. Neither of us is doing very well at that.

#15 of 147 Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Maia-  I remember watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy where that happened to one of the guys.  That did happen to one of my boyfriends when I was much younger.  His didn't bruise though.

I'm hoping that M will heal on his own after a few days.  I know that's too late for you to fully enjoy each other (without pain this time!)  And remember, Maia, this isn't an Olympic sport.  winky.gif  I wanted to post more but what I have to say probably isn't allowed.  whistling.gif

#16 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Mary - We'd be thinking of moving just east of the Illinois-Indiana border. I have family in the south suburbs of Chicago just west of the border, and we were thinking about going east. I don't know the area horribly well: my grandmother lives down there, and I definitely know her neighborhood has been getting rougher. But we'd want to live somewhere we could commute to Chicago.

Ok, that gives me a reference point. 

I grew up near Gary, Indiana.

I have no idea how close one would need to be to have a decent commute to Chicago, though.

Daily commute? Or just occasional?

There's daily flights from Indy to Chicago, as well as a Metro Bus that's really inexpensive (though you leave sometime between midnight and 5am IIRC.)

Maryhippie.gif

#17 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Maia-  I remember watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy where that happened to one of the guys.  That did happen to one of my boyfriends when I was much younger.  His didn't bruise though.

I'm hoping that M will heal on his own after a few days.  I know that's too late for you to fully enjoy each other (without pain this time!)  And remember, Maia, this isn't an Olympic sport.  winky.gif  I wanted to post more but what I have to say probably isn't allowed.  whistling.gif

LOL---there's ways to be cryptic without being Right Out There, kwim? We did do...some other things, him with his and me with mine, if you kwim, the other day, because he is more able to control what would hurt and what is too much pressure and what-not. That was fun but weird for me. Yesterday we did nothing but pretty much try to distract ourselves.

#18 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM

Yikes, Maia. I hope he feels better soon. I have no experience with that, as it were, thankfully.

Well ladies, I finished my grading for both of my schools, so I feel better now. It is Spring Break this week, which makes me laugh, what with the snow on the ground. I did not get the job I was interveiwing for, but I think it is a blessing and a sign for me to move on. I'm not doing anything drastic, as I am the breadwinner, but I need to make a change. So I am signing up to take teacher tests in MA, so I can teach in the public schools. I still need to pick a test date...one of them is on my birthday:D

I am making beef bourginoun. (sp?) Man, does the house smell good right now!

I've also lost 6 stubborn pounds...I haven't been this weight in several years!

Come ponder with me about food!
#19 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Yikes, Maia. I hope he feels better soon. I have no experience with that, as it were, thankfully.

Well ladies, I finished my grading for both of my schools, so I feel better now. It is Spring Break this week, which makes me laugh, what with the snow on the ground. I did not get the job I was interveiwing for, but I think it is a blessing and a sign for me to move on. I'm not doing anything drastic, as I am the breadwinner, but I need to make a change. So I am signing up to take teacher tests in MA, so I can teach in the public schools. I still need to pick a test date...one of them is on my birthday:D

I am making beef bourginoun. (sp?) Man, does the house smell good right now!

I've also lost 6 stubborn pounds...I haven't been this weight in several years!

When is your birthday? Hey, would you mind posting the recipe for that dish you are making? Sounds yummy. Can you do it in the crock pot?

Yeah, I hope he feels better soon, too, poor baby. We did try again this afternoon to get things going, but the...um...bigger things got, there was pain, so we stopped immediately. He's going to maybe see a doctor just to make sure things are going to be alright. Damn...but we both are convinced that the Universe is testing us for some reason, y'know? Like...is your relationship able to withstand this, and this, and this. Um, yes. Let's not have to do that particular test again, umkay?

#20 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM

My birthday is May 12, and I'll be 34 this trip around the sun.

The beef bourginoun does require Burgandy wine, so I'm not sure if you would be okay with that or not, Maia. I'm trying to think what would work as an alternative....

But anyway, here's the recipe:

1 lb of stew beef (or thereabouts)

1 medium onion

small bunch of carrots

I took a heavy pan, and seared the salt and peppered beef in it with some butter. Then I took the beef out, and threw the chopped onions in, cooking them until clear. I also added some garlic powder. Then I added the wine, scraped up the bits on the bottom of the pan, and put the beef back in with the carrots. Then I put it in the oven at 300 degrees for a few hours.  I bet it would work in the crockpot, too.

It was so tasty. Even DD ate it. I served it with mashed potato/sweet potato.

Come ponder with me about food!
#21 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM

witchygrrl: I am DROOOOOOLING right now!  That sounds delicious!! yummy.gif  Good luck with the teaching exams and all that jazz.  Is there a lot of extra red tape you have to go through to teach in a public school??

I was thinking of our Indiana mamas today.  Hoping everyone is safe!!!  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#22 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maia-Glad M is doing better even if not all the way better. Bruises can take a long time to heal, esp deep ones. Give it a couple of weeks and I'd guess that he will be fine. Poor guy though, that's got to be so tough on the manliness! Travel safely tomorrow!

Vydalea-Thanks! He goes in on Thursday. I found out that his twin brother will be in Sunday through Friday after the surgery so I won't be on duty then. 

Witchy-Best of luck on your tests! Its always something between empowering and terrifying to start messing with jobs. 

Mary-We are so very close! I'm just inside the Marion County border on the southern edge of Geist. DH and I are considering moving up your direction in a few years (if we are still in the state, depends on his job and things of that nature) for the better schools up there. 

revolting-I'm avoiding most diets while I breastfeed. Other than just not stuffing so much food into my mouth, I'm not going to avoid much. Just eat good food. Fresh fruit and veggies, lean cuts of meat, cut out most of my sweets and soda intake, no fast food, that kind of thing. I'm just too nervous about losing my supply. I lost my supply with DS1 because I was pregnant with DS2 and it cut our nursing relationship *really* short (he was not quite ten months and I wanted to go 2 years greensad.gif). So I'm ultra nervous about losing it with DS2, esp since he will only fall asleep nursing. 

It is about a three to four hour trip to get to Chicago from Indy (I've traveled that way a lot because most of my extended family is in Milwaukee) depending on traffic and where exactly you want to go in the City. To check other areas, you could pick some town names and do a quick Mapquest to get a basic idea of time. Personally, I would avoid getting too close to the suburbs of Chicago on the Indiana side, a lot of those seem pretty rough. I'd go an extra hour south to a sleepier town.

Oh mamas, I just read the most awful story. My midwife has set up a Facebook private Facebook page for her practice and on of the other clients lost a child today. He was 3. They went to check on him while he was sleeping, he was fine, snoring. Checked on him an hour later and he was dead. No idea wtf happened. I cannot imagine her and her family's grief. I think I'm going to go and hug all of my babies. Light, love and blessings to that family. candle.gif

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#23 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

I was thinking of our Indiana mamas today.  Hoping everyone is safe!!!  

We're fine. The storms that hit hard last week were much further south...Indy is just about in the very center of the state. Unfortunately those storms that did hit southern Indiana were unbelievable. candle.gif

Quote:

Mary-We are so very close! I'm just inside the Marion County border on the southern edge of Geist. DH and I are considering moving up your direction in a few years (if we are still in the state, depends on his job and things of that nature) for the better schools up there. 

Cool We're moving a little more north in the next week -- buying a bigger house in Noblesville thumb.gif

We looked at several houses in the Geist area; eventually chose to buy what we did because we could afford a much bigger house there. Sheepish.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#24 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post

Daily commute? Or just occasional?

There's daily flights from Indy to Chicago, as well as a Metro Bus that's really inexpensive (though you leave sometime between midnight and 5am IIRC.)

Most of my husband's work is in the south neighborhoods of Chicago and the loop, though he has work as far away as Indianapolis and occasionally in the north neighborhoods in Chicago (where we live). He has co-workers who commute daily from Indiana. His plumbing license, though, is for Illinois, though. I know that the south suburbs are more rough than the west or north ones - my grandmother's house got burglarized in the last couple of years! - but we don't live in a "sleepy" neighborhood. In the last year, my car has gotten stolen once, and broken into four times; about half a dozen people have been shot within a mile of my home in the last year; there's a WHOLE lot of gang activity. So, I'm not sure which is more rough, you know?

Quote:

revolting-I'm avoiding most diets while I breastfeed. Other than just not stuffing so much food into my mouth, I'm not going to avoid much. Just eat good food. Fresh fruit and veggies, lean cuts of meat, cut out most of my sweets and soda intake, no fast food, that kind of thing. I'm just too nervous about losing my supply. I lost my supply with DS1 because I was pregnant with DS2 and it cut our nursing relationship *really* short (he was not quite ten months and I wanted to go 2 years greensad.gif). So I'm ultra nervous about losing it with DS2, esp since he will only fall asleep nursing. 

I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I still gain weight. I don't want to sound like I'm avoiding some responsibility, but I know given my family history, losing weight and keeping it off will be an uphill battle.

Talk to me about your family traditions around the moon that involve toddlers. I've definitely been struggling with finding ways to better include my two year old.

#25 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostThe beef bourginoun does require Burgandy wine, so I'm not sure if you would be okay with that or not, Maia. I'm trying to think what would work as an alternative....

But anyway, here's the recipe:

1 lb of stew beef (or thereabouts)

1 medium onion

small bunch of carrots

I took a heavy pan, and seared the salt and peppered beef in it with some butter. Then I took the beef out, and threw the chopped onions in, cooking them until clear. I also added some garlic powder. Then I added the wine, scraped up the bits on the bottom of the pan, and put the beef back in with the carrots. Then I put it in the oven at 300 degrees for a few hours.  I bet it would work in the crockpot, too.

It was so tasty. Even DD ate it. I served it with mashed potato/sweet potato.

That does sound yummy! But yeah-- no wine, no potatoes or carrots, and very little onion. I might have to figure out something else that's close that's no/low carb. I used to use non-alk wine in recipes, but that's probably way carby for me greensad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xMama View PostMaia-Glad M is doing better even if not all the way better. Bruises can take a long time to heal, esp deep ones. Give it a couple of weeks and I'd guess that he will be fine. Poor guy though, that's got to be so tough on the manliness! Travel safely tomorrow!

Oh mamas, I just read the most awful story. My midwife has set up a Facebook private Facebook page for her practice and on of the other clients lost a child today. He was 3. They went to check on him while he was sleeping, he was fine, snoring. Checked on him an hour later and he was dead. No idea wtf happened. I cannot imagine her and her family's grief. I think I'm going to go and hug all of my babies. Light, love and blessings to that family. candle.gif

That IS a horrible story! Poor family! Yeah-- my boy got sick while I'm out of town, so I need to hurry and get back to my baby! He has some sort of throat thing, and I'm hoping it's not strep. Caregiver kept him home from school today, but for some reason it seems she is unwilling to entertain the idea of strep and won't look in his throat irked.gif so you betcha I will be doing that, and snugging my little sweetie when I get back.

About M-- damn, no sex this trip at all greensad.gif I realized in the middle of the night, and M somewhat agrees with me, that this was a test because, remember the issues we were having before? Where he wasn't in the mood and all that? Well, we realized that sex between us is so very sacred, and such a gift, that we were made to see what it would be like to be deprived of it. And we both realized how much we love each other and how integral a healthy sexual relationship is between us. So it's all good. Even though it was terribly, terribly hard to get through this weekend without any! Lesson learned, eh? The beautiful thing about M is that he sees lessons in things, and does try to improve himself all the time. I LOVE that about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post eat a pretty healthy diet, but I still gain weight. I don't want to sound like I'm avoiding some responsibility, but I know given my family history, losing weight and keeping it off will be an uphill battle.

Talk to me about your family traditions around the moon that involve toddlers. I've definitely been struggling with finding ways to better include my two year old.

You and me both, mama. You and me both.

Family traditions about the moon-- I think at 2yo I just brought him outside to look at Her in her various aspects, especially full, and spent a minute in reverence. I still do that, and he's 11 now and still points out the moon if I don't. Especially if She's up while it's still light outside.

Waiting for the flight to board...should be back in NC around 1:30 and back in A'vl around 4ish.

#26 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Maia, can you have mushrooms? Beef cubes slowly cooked with mushrooms and onion, your choice of celery, broccoli, cauliflower (or a mix of them all - or your own choice of veggies) and about 1 cup of broth is yummy! I used to do that with canned mushroom soup and onion soup mix... I've done it with success without the can of soup with fresh mushrooms and caramelizing fresh onion instead of soup mix... Will try dried mushrooms next time for even more flavor!

Valérie   
#27 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostMaia, can you have mushrooms? Beef cubes slowly cooked with mushrooms and onion, your choice of celery, broccoli, cauliflower (or a mix of them all - or your own choice of veggies) and about 1 cup of broth is yummy! I used to do that with canned mushroom soup and onion soup mix... I've done it with success without the can of soup with fresh mushrooms and caramelizing fresh onion instead of soup mix... Will try dried mushrooms next time for even more flavor!

I think so, yes. Some, anyway. That does sound good! With maybe sour cream for thickener? YUM!

Back in NC...a quick and uneventful trip, thank goodness. Boo is doing much better; he's still got a cough and isn't very hungry, but he is going to school tomorrow.

#28 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:

...he was fine, snoring. 

I wonder if it was sleep apnea related.  That is so heartbreaking.

My son is 9 and I STILL get up and check on him once or twice during the night.  I haven't been able to let that fear go.

#29 of 147 Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM

3x: Glad your dad's brother will be around so you'll have a little break to get back to your bunch!  Will the boys be with you when you are taking care of him?  

The story of the 3 year old's death is just so, so sad.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post

We're fine. The storms that hit hard last week were much further south...Indy is just about in the very center of the state. Unfortunately those storms that did hit southern Indiana were unbelievable. candle.gif

Glad to hear everyone is well.  I do know where your city is located, having visited (it was lovely!!  best elephant habitat i've seen at the zoo!!) I was thinking of extended family, etc., possibly being south.  The devastation truly is horrific.  Is it that we are having more severe weather events or just that with the 24/7 news we just hear about it more readily?  I feel as though the floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. in the past few years are more frequent and more devastating.  

Quote:

About M-- damn, no sex this trip at all greensad.gif I realized in the middle of the night, and M somewhat agrees with me, that this was a test because, remember the issues we were having before? Where he wasn't in the mood and all that? Well, we realized that sex between us is so very sacred, and such a gift, that we were made to see what it would be like to be deprived of it. And we both realized how much we love each other and how integral a healthy sexual relationship is between us. So it's all good. Even though it was terribly, terribly hard to get through this weekend without any! Lesson learned, eh? The beautiful thing about M is that he sees lessons in things, and does try to improve himself all the time. I LOVE that about him.

Family traditions about the moon-- I think at 2yo I just brought him outside to look at Her in her various aspects, especially full, and spent a minute in reverence. I still do that, and he's 11 now and still points out the moon if I don't. Especially if She's up while it's still light outside.

Glad you had an uneventful trip back, Maia!  

I think it's wonderful that both you and M can find the lesson in a sucky situation like the one you encountered this weekend.  Sounds like you're a good team, albeit dangerous at times. winky.gif  

I like what you said about the moon.  That sounds JUST LIKE Z.  She loves finding "moonie" as she calls the moon and will just stare up at the sky for a seemingly long time for a *nearly* 2 year old.  

#30 of 147 Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM

Morning all:)  I like Mary have been trying to get back in the Mothering Groove.  I have to make an effort to get back here on a daily basis.  So much more chatting going on here than FB.

Maia, scary about the injury but glad it is only temporary.  Hope he gets to healing quickly. 

I tell you Mamas, I can't wait for Spring!  I am so ready to open this place up.  Right about now it is starting to hit me hard, the cabin fever!

I hope everyone is doing well. I am going to have to catch up.  I keep saying that and never do:(  I am hoping to get out of my funk! 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

User Tag List