Book "When God Was a Woman" has me pretty mad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no label of my religion except that I can't stand the doom and gloom god of the old testament but think that Jesus was the man. So I think I call myself a christian but really only agree with Jesus' message of love and empowerment. Still I was cool with the bible and such. But I just read "When God was a Woman" and it has me pretty mad. I really identlfy with the Godess and pagen stuff. It makes the whole bible seem like one big conspiracy to kill off innocent people and in the name of God for that matter. Anyone want to talk about this stuff or that book?

I am open for heated disscusion but really didn't want to put this in the religion section since I am bugged at religion right now. But if this needs to be moved, then it is ok, mods.
#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Really? I love that book. The early Hebrews used language as a powerful tool to suppress the old goddess worshiping folks. They liken the temple attendants to whores and prostitutes, they call the priestesses serpents.

I've passed this book to several friends and it always leads to a more enlightened way of thinking.

Also, the Amazon reviews on this book are awesome. Most folks write in to say they love this book.

http://www.amazon.com/When-God-Woman-Merlin-Stone/product-reviews/015696158X/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I did really love the book and it has helped me to kind of figure more of what it all means out there. Itmakes me want to be more goddess loving worshiping. It did mean alot. But it just opened my eyes to the oppression to the "pagan" religions.
#4 of 6 Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't read the book but I've definitely been exploring the concept. I've lately been learning Kundalini Yoga, which has gotten me deeply into learning about many of the ancient Indian beliefs, especially about the goddess Shakti and about the Universe being born out of the divine play of the goddess Shakti and the god Shiva.

I used to not see how male-dominated the Bible was -- I mean, I just assumed that the fact that it seemed to come largely from a male perspective was simply a reflection of the culture of the times. I didn't realize, back then, that male-dominated culture wasn't the oldest way of life and that this unnatural way of life actually suppressed the older cultures -- cultures that were somewhat similar to the few hunter-gatherer cultures that are still in existence today, in which women play very active and important roles.

Of course, there are many different cultures so I'm not trying to lump everyone in one group. I simply do see cultures as either being predominantly masculine (upholding values like aggressiveness, competitiveness, dualism, and linear thinking) or predominantly feminine (upholding values like cooperation, empathy, non-dualism, and non- linear thinking), although, of course, they are in all different places along the spectrum. It is sometimes helpful to me (to my limited mind) to generalize a bit, even though I know that some folks take offense to any form of generalization...which is why I'm going on about it right now, in the hopes of preventing someone from feeling offended.

At any rate, I am starting to realize how much Christianity has missed out on (in my opinion) because of the suppression of the Gnostic gospels. I hope I'm not saying anything that's too unsuitable for the Spirituality forum.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#5 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM

I have long ago came to the concept that God is neither a he or she and that gender is only related to the physical reality where everything has opposites. I also believe that God never harmed anyone at any time and I don't believe in the version of God in the old testament

#6 of 6 Old 03-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post

I have long ago came to the concept that God is neither a he or she and that gender is only related to the physical reality where everything has opposites. I also believe that God never harmed anyone at any time and I don't believe in the version of God in the old testament

But have you read this book?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page