UU roll call! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there have been some threads in the past. I've been attending our local UU church since November and am now in membership classes. There has been a peace and balance in my life that was not there before.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#2 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi, it's great to hear from you! I started attending our local UU church in November of 2010 and joined in February of 2011. My family is starting to feel more and more connected to the community in general through our connection to this church.

I'm so glad I started learning about UU here at MDC, and I'm really glad I finally took the plunge and started going.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#3 of 27 Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM

I started attending a UU church nine years ago as a teenager and now attend it with my eldest kid. When my youngest is old enough for Spirit Play, he will likely join us as well.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#4 of 27 Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM

I identify mostly with UU, but am currently attending an Episcopal church. Mainly because where I live our UU church is all white and all rich, I just am not down with that. We are a trans-racial foster-adoptive family. While the Episcopal church is decidedly more "Christian", it IS liberal (my gay former co worker attends our church) and our parish is working class, mostly hispanic with a bilingual liturgy and a black priest. 

If we ever move to a bigger city with a more ethnically and class diverse UU congregation I would love to join.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#5 of 27 Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post

I identify mostly with UU, but am currently attending an Episcopal church. Mainly because where I live our UU church is all white and all rich, I just am not down with that. We are a trans-racial foster-adoptive family. While the Episcopal church is decidedly more "Christian", it IS liberal (my gay former co worker attends our church) and our parish is working class, mostly hispanic with a bilingual liturgy and a black priest. 

If we ever move to a bigger city with a more ethnically and class diverse UU congregation I would love to join.

We live in a large urban area with a more diverse UU church in terms of race, but it still skews pretty heavily towards the well-educated and affluent. (Well, they probably wouldn't describe themselves that way, but I would.)

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#6 of 27 Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. I live in a medium sized city - pop 160K in the buckle of the bible belt. Our UU congregation is one of the only non-bar places all couples feel safe to be showing affections. It is mostly white, though. Most of the congregants have masters degrees, minimum. I do feel out of place in that area, having only some college under my belt.

More than that, though, our congregation has such a high percentage of people over 60. But not having as many young families has inspired me to get involved as there are only a few of us to plan or help out with things for our age set.

I find too, that though a lot of my friends would best align their beliefs with UU, they either stay home or attend a Christian denomination. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe some people want more guidance when it comes to religion?

#7 of 27 Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was so excited when I learned about the uu church last summer! I went four times over the summer but felt I did not fit in.. I am a low income single mom of two little boys..one was an infant and the other was three last summer..i take public transportation..after services all the families with children play outside..i tried to interact with the other parents..but no one was receptive.all the members appear to be upper middle class, well educated..i didnt see any single moms..all the kids seemed to have two uber involved parents, which is wonderful but I felt so not welcome.. Which is so sad.. My boys would benefit so much from having a community..i am planning on atte/ding next week
#8 of 27 Old 03-25-2012, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was so excited when I learned about the uu church last summer! I went four times over the summer but felt I did not fit in.. I am a low income single mom of two little boys..one was an infant and the other was three last summer..i take public transportation..after services all the families with children play outside..i tried to interact with the other parents..but no one was receptive.all the members appear to be upper middle class, well educated..i didnt see any single moms..all the kids seemed to have two uber involved parents, which is wonderful but I felt so not welcome.. Which is so sad.. My boys would benefit so much from having a community..i am planning on atte/ding next week
#9 of 27 Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRocket View Post

I"m sorry that was your experience. I hope it goes better next time.

I'm single and poor too. I absolutley understand how that feels awkward sometimes. hug2.gif

#10 of 27 Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM

nicolelynn, we actually attended an Episcopal church for a little while before we started going to our local UU church, which we joined a year ago.

SunshineRocket, we are very income-challenged, too, and I have found people in both churches to be predominantly white, highly educated, and higher income -- but in our UU church, there are quite a few single parents, too. Our UU church also has a strong desire to be very welcoming to people of all ethnic groups and lifestyles.

I think that higher income people are more likely to have the opportunity to become highly educated (or more highly educated people are more likely to have higher incomes) -- and I think that, in general, highly educated people tend to be more open to looking at things from a variety of different angles, and to rethinking their beliefs, and therefore are more likely to seek out spiritual communities that allow people the freedom to do so.

And I think we are still a long way from being a nation where there is truly equal opportunity; there are still more whites than people of other races getting the opportunity to pursue higher education and receiving the support and tools to do so. So this may be why it seems like more white people are drawn to religions like UU.

#11 of 27 Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm glad I found this thread.  I've been dabbling in UU attendance for awhile, but just officially made the plunge (today) and became a member! 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#12 of 27 Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I'm glad I found this thread.  I've been dabbling in UU attendance for awhile, but just officially made the plunge (today) and became a member! 

I don't know how I missed this! Congratulations to you!

I officially signed the membership book last Sunday.

#13 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM

I am a UU, have been for the last 8 years. If I didn't have a UU Fellowship to attend I would be an Episcopalian (which is what I was raised). I love love love my "church" and am UBER UBER involved. I am actually hoping to become a DRE (Director of Religious Exploration) this Fall. Our fellowship does have single moms, but it is relatively small, so the numbers are not too high. The congregation in general is very educated(although I never graduated from colllege and feel comfortable) and solidly middle class, bu there are exceptions to that on both ends of the spectrum. We are working at being a Welcoming Congregation, which is really important, because sad to say UU is not known for thier overt friendliness, but i believe this is changing. My DH does not attend, but is very supportive and usually shows up when food is involved... he was raised strict Catholic and has now NO room in his life for "going to church", and really is basically not interested in religion in any way, he does like the structure it gives my boys though.

I really love the UU Faith, I believe it has a lot going for it. I hope in the future to be known as a welcoming place and I am so sorry if any of you have had a bad experience. This makes me want to try harder than I already to at my Fellowship.

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#14 of 27 Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 PM

I love UU! I attend a super tiny congregation of mostly people much older than I am. I would LOVE to be a Director of Religious Education one day. I think that might actually be my current dream job!

#15 of 27 Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 PM

I'm a UU, too!  We joined in 2010 and are very involved; I'm becoming the chair of the Membership committee next month and am very interested in reading about your experiences.

The first time I walked into the church, I felt like I'd come home  smile.gif

#16 of 27 Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Ok! Maybe you lovely ladies can help me! :D I've just recently looked into UU and it seems to be what I've been looking for....but I'm not sure. I am Christian, but a bit more, I believe we all have the ability to tap into the magic God gave us. I think we should learn from earth and respect it. That's a very short version but that's the basics. The nearest UU church is 3 hours away so I can't really just go ask questions. So anywho just in general can anyone give me info about this church?

#17 of 27 Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to our seven principles.

http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/index.shtml

#18 of 27 Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 PM

It seems like christianity with out all the BS and politics? I really do like this, I'd like to look into it a little more, I'm going to order a book off amazon, any suggestions? I'd go to a UU church and just experience it, buuuuut the nearest one is 4-5 hours away :(. But it seems like what I've really been searching for.

#19 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiewolf21 View Post

It seems like christianity with out all the BS and politics? I really do like this, I'd like to look into it a little more, I'm going to order a book off amazon, any suggestions? I'd go to a UU church and just experience it, buuuuut the nearest one is 4-5 hours away :(. But it seems like what I've really been searching for.

Our roots are Christian. The Unitarians disagreed with  the Trinitarians, which is what most of Christianity believes today. Instead of God as three parts, the Unitarians thought that God was one. The Universalists did not think that some would go to heaven and others to hell, but that salvation was available to all. In the 1960s, the two denominations merged.  But I would say that is just our history.

Not all UUs identify as Christian. We also have Pagans, Buddhists, Atheists, Humanists, Hindus. (not at all an inclusive list) As a UU, you are not told what to believe. Rather, you are encouraged to see all humanity as being connected, continue to seek truth and  knowledge, to act in a way that allows others to live in peace with justice and compassion.

Our  new member class uses this book. http://www.amazon.com/Questions-Non-Members-About-Unitarian-Universalism/dp/0965449734 It's really basic but informative. This one goes further. http://www.amazon.com/Chosen-Faith-Introduction-Unitarian-Universalism/dp/0807016179/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342536251&sr=1-1&keywords=unitarian+universalism

#20 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 AM

It's definitely true that the UU church doesn't tell anyone what to believe -- but there are a couple of beliefs that might indicate UU is not the right fit for a person. I think that if you believe anyone is going to hell for not believing what you believe, or if you have a problem with people who are actively involved in church life living out their gender identity and/or sexuality in ways that deviate from what the Christian Right approves of, then you would not be very happy in a UU congregation.

However, it also seems unlikely that such a person would be going to a UU church in the first place.

#21 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm so excited to see that this thread is active!  I've also recently started attending a UU church and am seeing a lot of the same issues mentioned above - an older congregation.  DP and I are among the youngest adult attendees, and most of the others in our age range don't seem to attend regularly.  I think UU is a great fit for me so I'm really interested in becoming involved.  My family was not religious at all and I'd only ever been to church as a child on Sunday mornings after sleepovers with church-going friends - and I really, really dislike a lot of things about mainstream Christianity.  

One thing we're having trouble with is getting involved beyond going to services.  We really enjoy the services and it makes me feel so peaceful and centered and connected to the world, but I'm also really looking for a sense of community.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get involved as a new, younger attendee?  I'm not a member yet, and I know I'll need to join before I can really get involved, but is there anything I can do to start meeting people?  My congregation seems pretty friendly, but they're mostly quite a bit older and their social groups seem pretty sealed off.

#22 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Does your congregation offer small group ministries?

#23 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Yes, we have a lot of small group ministries in our church and I joined one soon after becoming a member. It's great getting to sit and talk in depth with these people about all that we're learning in life and getting to know people on a deeper level.

#24 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniO11 View Post

I'm so excited to see that this thread is active!  I've also recently started attending a UU church and am seeing a lot of the same issues mentioned above - an older congregation.  DP and I are among the youngest adult attendees, and most of the others in our age range don't seem to attend regularly.  I think UU is a great fit for me so I'm really interested in becoming involved.  My family was not religious at all and I'd only ever been to church as a child on Sunday mornings after sleepovers with church-going friends - and I really, really dislike a lot of things about mainstream Christianity.  

One thing we're having trouble with is getting involved beyond going to services.  We really enjoy the services and it makes me feel so peaceful and centered and connected to the world, but I'm also really looking for a sense of community.  Does anyone have any advice on how to get involved as a new, younger attendee?  I'm not a member yet, and I know I'll need to join before I can really get involved, but is there anything I can do to start meeting people?  My congregation seems pretty friendly, but they're mostly quite a bit older and their social groups seem pretty sealed off.

Would your church be open to starting a new program? Even something as simple as a potluck so the RE parents could meet. I'm single and asked for a solo parent group the second time I visited. Our RE director really wants the program to grow and to meet the needs of the attnedees. Tonight is the first meeting. In our new member class, they stressed that this was OUR church. If there was something we needed, wanted to change, wanted to work on, we needed to take some sort of action to make it a reality. I've also found intergenerational friends in the sewing/knitting group, by attending work days.

As I've got to know the other families, I find that we are all fairly low income. We've never talked about finances, but I know that several of us use food stamps and/or other government aid.

#25 of 27 Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

It's definitely true that the UU church doesn't tell anyone what to believe -- but there are a couple of beliefs that might indicate UU is not the right fit for a person. I think that if you believe anyone is going to hell for not believing what you believe, or if you have a problem with people who are actively involved in church life living out their gender identity and/or sexuality in ways that deviate from what the Christian Right approves of, then you would not be very happy in a UU congregation.

However, it also seems unlikely that such a person would be going to a UU church in the first place.

Lol, that stuff doesn't bother me, I feel if someone is gay/bi/whatever that's their right, I have no problem with it :D. And I think there are many many ways to worship, everyone has their own path. I know I'm christian...but that about it. I'm really trying to find my spiritual path, I've tried many things and nothing fits. Mainly because I have a strong Christian back ground but i don't belive in what the churches say. I don't think hell is fire and brimstone, but more the denial of being near the divine. I'm really trying to find where my thoughts and beliefs fit, and find like minded people. I feel alone a lot of the time spiritualy speaking. I guess I'm afraid of being caught up in a cult, I've been really trying to do my research.

#26 of 27 Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Does your congregation offer small group ministries?

It does - is that a good place to start?  DeerMother, I like the idea of starting a new program too.  It's really hard to get started sometimes - I still feel nervous about being "new".  DP said last week that as service ended, I was ready to leave so quickly you would think the place was on fire.  I guess maybe we need to start introducing ourselves to the other younger couples.

Prairiewolf - from your post, it sounds like UU might be something for you to explore.  I also did a TON of research before even attending a single service, though from a different angle. I'm very wary of religion and of church, having grown up without religion in my life and seing so much of the damage they cause to individuals and groups, and politically/ethically/philosophically I feel so far away from almost all mainstream Christian thought.  Nothing about my time at the UU church has made me (or my hardline Atheist DP) feel pressured or uncomfortable, so I hope you can feel the same.

Being on the lower-income side in a UU congregation can be a challenge.  It definitely seems like the group is generally higher-income, and I think that does have a lot to do with education levels - especially where I live, the COL is so high that most people are higher-income, and education levels are high as well.  Though the tithe isn't required, and is in fact pretty reasonable compared to other denominations, it still is a bit embarrassing when I others around me dropping in checks each week while DP and I scrape together some small bills we have on hand.  Budgeting is big in our house and the offering has yet to find it's way into our official budget.  But I don't think it's really a problem - the co-chair of the New Member Committee even told us that she can't afford to give as much as she should, and it's not a big deal as long as she's doing what she can.

Also, if I'm using incorrect terms or phrases or whatever, I apologize, and please correct me - I'm still getting used to even having these words in my life!  
#27 of 27 Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 PM

JenniO, I definitely agree that a Small Group would be a great way to get involved and connected, while building your spirituality.  That's how I started in my church and am still involved in a small group 3 years later - it's been so fulfilling.

From that involvement, I met people and developed connections and that led to becoming more involved and being asked to serve in other ways.

As for the financial giving, we were really concerned about that before we joined our church - the suggested share donation was strongly encouraged and we weren't able to do that so held off on joining.  BUT, the people pushing the suggested share (or specific tithe amount) were not the norm in the congregation and once we spoke to other people we realized that it would be OK to give what we could - what matters is that we felt OK with what we were giving.  It made a huge difference in how we saw the church and how we felt we belonged there to hear that the suggested share wasn't a requirement.  Phew!

You're in SF?  We were there in June - what a special place!  I miss it (and we were only there 5 days)!

Prairie, have you visited the Church of the Larger Fellowship website?   http://clf.uua.org/

They are a great way to experience UU services without having to drive 4 hours :)  

All good things :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page