Is this quote appropriate for a baptism inscription? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone - My nephews are being baptized into a Christian church; my DP & I will be the sponsors of one of them.  I bought him a children's book with bible stories as his baptism gift.  I would like to write something in the book & sign our names.  DP & I are not actively religious.  We believe in a God, but we don't attend church or regularly have spiritual or religious conversations.  For this reason, I would feel odd making the book inscription a bible verse.  I looked up "baptism poems" on the internet, but most that I found didn't really feel right to me.

Then, I remembered that I have always loved the poem: "The Rime of Ancient Mariner".  There is a quote from the poem that reads:

"He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all."

I like the sentiments of the quote & am considering it as the inscription.  I think it's kind of a "life lesson" quote.  Is it OK for a baptism gift?  I'm asking here b/c I don't really have anyone IRL to bounce this off of!  My nephew who will receive the book is 3 years old.

For anyone not familiar with the poem I'm quoting - it is a VERY long story of a sailor who inadvertently kills his crew b/c he shoots an albatross that they had believed to have helped them.  (So the idea - don't treat any of God's creatures poorly or there will be consequences.)  The mariner is forced to walk the earth & tell his story.  It's not really a very happy poem - kind of dark, actually.

Thanks for any help!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#2 of 3 Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I think that the quote is alright, BUT I would not put it in the bible itself. I would put in a blank card. Just me.

#3 of 3 Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I like it. I think it is nice and appropriate. Could you ask their parents? What does our husband think?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page