*~*~*~*April Pagan Family Thread~*~*~**~**~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 201 Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it's not April yet for 3 hours and 15 minutes but I wanted to be the thread starter! orngbiggrin.gif

Happy April Fool's Day! Is anyone going to Fool anyone? I am horrible at that...I can only think of cruel things hide.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#2 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Happy April! joy.gif

No April fooling around here! I abhor practical jokes. orngtongue.gif

Just a slow, rainy Sunday morning.

Maryhippie.gif

#3 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 AM

treehugger.gif

Valérie   
#4 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 AM

Hi ladies :)

I'm new to this part of the board and to Pagan concepts in general. I thought I'd join in the convo, if you don't mind a total newbie who might ask lots of questions :)

As for April Fool's Day, I posted a picture of a positive pregnancy test on my Facebook. My husband had a vasectomy so I'm definitely not pregnant. Only one person has been smart enough to tell people to be careful that it IS April Fool's Day :)

If anyone has any resources for a beginner I'd also appreciate them. I feel drawn towards Celtic Paganism (though what part I'm not sure,) but right now I'm just trying to be open up to anything and everything I can learn about.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#5 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 AM

Good morning and Happy April!

Welcome to the group, Mommy2Austin!

I'm not much for doing practical jokes, though I do find them funny, I must admit.

Come ponder with me about food!
#6 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 AM

Welcome.gif

I'm Mary, mama to 3 home/unschooled kidlets in middle Indiana.

(Kinda like middle Earth...sounds much less boring than central Indiana ;) )

I'm Pagan-ish -- meaning that it resonates with me but I am not into any particular path or anything ceremonial. 

Yarn is my religion, apparently. orngbiggrin.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#7 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 AM

yay! April! and i get to start it off sick. bleh. the bronchitis is almost gone but it feels yucky. finally got the taxes done so i can pay the midwife. now i got to plan DD1's bday party. her birthday is the 17th. i just started my 3rd trimester and gotta finish getting everything together for my homebirth. 

i am unitarian universalist. the lable suits me better esp. when i tell people i am pagan they think things other than what i really am. i am def pagan. but my concept is different from the general pop's concept. and the label UU covers it all anyway. my kids call me a witch. and i like that bc most of my energy work revolves around food and :stirring: in the love or using it for medicine. i just encourage them not to call me that in front of people bc they get the wrong idea. 

no church for me today though. too bad, i heard i was supposed to be helping the kids with an april fools thing. it sounded like fun. but i am recovering from the yuck and need to clean my house. i dont want to spread any of this around. DH went fishing this morning. he has the yuck too. i hope he doesnt get his friends sick. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#8 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

yay! April! and i get to start it off sick. bleh. the bronchitis is almost gone but it feels yucky. finally got the taxes done so i can pay the midwife. now i got to plan DD1's bday party. her birthday is the 17th. i just started my 3rd trimester and gotta finish getting everything together for my homebirth. 

i am unitarian universalist. the lable suits me better esp. when i tell people i am pagan they think things other than what i really am. i am def pagan. but my concept is different from the general pop's concept. and the label UU covers it all anyway. my kids call me a witch. and i like that bc most of my energy work revolves around food and :stirring: in the love or using it for medicine. i just encourage them not to call me that in front of people bc they get the wrong idea. 

no church for me today though. too bad, i heard i was supposed to be helping the kids with an april fools thing. it sounded like fun. but i am recovering from the yuck and need to clean my house. i dont want to spread any of this around. DH went fishing this morning. he has the yuck too. i hope he doesnt get his friends sick. 

I hope you feel better soon! We seem to keep passing things around here in a circle. Every few weeks we all get struck again. Its no fun!

I've been looking at UU, but I'm a little confused on how the dynamic works. I do think the label is nice to keep people from making the wrong assumption. Plus I would enjoy a community like that where people can all be full of faith no matter their religion.

Maybe a strange question for ya'll:

I've always felt I was born in the wrong time. Like I should have been born centuries earlier. Has any one else ever felt like that? It's always served as a source of issue for me. Like I've a life made of "wrong place, wrong time."

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#9 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Welcome, Mommy2Austin!

Hoping that it starts to get mild now that April is here.  We had a period of hot weather, then chilly.  Now I just want temps in the 60's, please.  (up to 72 is fine.)

There's a terrible burning smell coming from my car.  Have to bring it to the mechanic on Monday...Although I don't know if I'll be able to get it fixed.

Now that Spring is here, I plan to ramp up my home business.  I really need some 'extra' money!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#10 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View PostHi ladies :)

I'm new to this part of the board and to Pagan concepts in general. I thought I'd join in the convo, if you don't mind a total newbie who might ask lots of questions :)

Hi and welcome! Questions are a good thing. We can tend to be very chatty, and not always about Pagany things, so ask away orngbiggrin.gif and thank you, btw, for capitalizing "Pagan"-- it's a pet peeve of mine that now that we're a legit religion (or group of, as it were) we are still not deserving of a capital letter, even amongst our own!

I am Maiasaura, single mama to one 11yo ds. We live in NC but are trying to sell the house praying.gif so we can move to MA, where my true love lives luxlove.gif In October '09, he and I got back together after 35 years apart. We went steady in high school. Twice. Now it's permanent heartbeat.gif but we're 800+ miles apart mecry.gif

DS has off of school this week for Spring break. I wanted to go to church this morning but I'm being supremely lazy.

I'm Pagan. Wiccan specifically, Witch for sure. We used to belong and go quite a bit to the UU, but then I got curious about Catholicism because my boyfriend's Catholic, so we started going to classes there to learn about it, but it's not really resonating-- I grew up Episcopalian so it wasn't far off from what I knew, but I can't get past the One-God-my-way-is-the-highway thing. I'm trying to reconcile them all, because I love being a Witch, and I do see the beauty of Christianity, but so far it's not working very well shrug.gif so I kind of do both. Or all three.

Our UU is very, very accommodating of all faiths or no faith, but-- gawd, this sounds so elitist or something-- I am so over crunchiness and social justice and hippies, even old ones. I don't think I want to be ignorantly mainstream, either...I don't know what I want. I want to be in the middle somewhere.

Lioness, I hope you feel better!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#11 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks for starting a new thread, Maiasaura!  

Mommy2Austin, if you're interested in a Celtic path, you might want to check out some of Erynn Laurie's works... 

LionessMom, hope you feel better soon! So excited for your LO's birthday party and your upcoming homebirth!  I would like to hear more about UU stuff also.  (I'm sort of in the opposite position from Maisaura -- we're stuck in a very conservative suburb b/c we're taking care of my mom.  I would like to meet MORE crunchy, hippie, SJ types around here!!)

Gotta go, A is miserable from teething.  Sophie the Giraffe to the rescue!  

#12 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post (I'm sort of in the opposite position from Maisaura -- we're stuck in a very conservative suburb b/c we're taking care of my mom.  I would like to meet MORE crunchy, hippie, SJ types around here!!)

Well, I've been here for 8 years, and I moved here from a place where nobody breastfed past 6 months, and it was just unheard of to cloth diaper ("WHY would you do that?") let alone wear the baby, all of which I did rather instinctually and didn't know there was a name for. But I didn't realize there are extremists on all sides of the spectrum, and even the hippies can get dogmatic and rigid, and I'm just...I am back to the middle of the road. I want everybody to accept everyone's path for what it is, y'know?

Now-- that is not to say I don't believe in enlightenment or education. I do. Hugely. I am a huge lactivist and intactivist and I will go on and on about those...but I try not to be "holier than thou" about it. I don't freak or act condescending when I see a formula feeding mom (though I am still trying to wangle a way to ask politely!).

But at my UU church, everybody's old and white and rich and they do lots of social justicey things-- which is lovely, really, Habitat Houses or tsunami rescue or Katrina-- they're all on the front lines. And nobody really lords it over anybody. They do act humble about it. But it just seems...over the top, to me. It's like...go LIVE LIFE or something, I dunno. It's like...I'd love to have that kind of money and time, but when you're a single mama working hard to raise a high-needs boy and getting by, it *seems* very unhumble, and it grates on one.

I just want to live in a more...I dunno...I mean, a place can get so diverse it's homogeneous, does that make any sense at all?

#13 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

> there are extremists on all sides of the spectrum, and even the hippies can get dogmatic and rigid,

I TOTALLY know what you mean!  That was my experience visiting the Bay Area (though I also know some lovely people who live out there). 

> I don't freak or act condescending when I see a formula feeding mom (though I am still trying to wangle a way to ask politely!).

Well, you're talking to a formula feeding mom right now :)  -- when I tried EBF, my daughter ended up back in the hospital with dehydration and jaundice.  But I did hire two lactation consultants and a postpartum doula (who called my daughter "very, very willful") before going over to formula entirely...

I'm assuming you were referring to the people who don't even TRY to BF!!

> at my UU church, everybody's old and white and rich and they do lots of social justicey things-- which is lovely, really, Habitat Houses or tsunami rescue or Katrina-- they're all on the front lines. And nobody really lords it over anybody. They do act humble about it. But it just seems...over the top, to me. It's like...go LIVE LIFE or something, I dunno. It's like...I'd love to have that kind of money and time, but when you're a single mama working hard to raise a high-needs boy and getting by, it *seems* very unhumble, and it grates on one.

Yeah, those class distinctions make a lot of sense.  

I also live in a place where our household income is WAY below the average for our township, so again, I know what you mean. 

You're reminding me of the people in Park Slope, Brooklyn (not where I live) who join the food co-op so they can preach the virtues of organic, local, etc., but then they order their nannies to fulfill their co-op work shifts for them!!  ROTFLMAO.gif Talk about the point flying right over your head.

In other news, Osiris (our ghost boa) just had a lovely shed, including his eyecaps.  He's a little cranky now, but that should change once he gets a meal in him... 

Hope you folks enjoy the rest of your day! 

#14 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM

I wish I could get into UU, just for the sake of the Religious Education. But the few times my DH and I have gone, we just feel, well, bored. The people seem nice enough, and we believe in the values and the social justice (though honestly, I'm not an action person. I'll happily write checks to orgs when I can, but...). We just can't get into the services, though. I need more formalized ritual, and DH just wants to go in the woods and meditate.

DD was asking about Easter yesterday since we went on an Easter egg hunt. I explained to her it's how some people celebrate Spring, like we celebrate Ostara and others celebrate Passover. I'll have to be sure to read "Looking for Easter" to her again this week, but eventually I do want her to know what Christian beliefs are, as it is part of her heritage, and I strongly feel she should be culturally literate.

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Easter-Dori-Chaconas/dp/0807547506/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333309264&sr=1-1

Come ponder with me about food!
#15 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Hi and welcome! Questions are a good thing. We can tend to be very chatty, and not always about Pagany things, so ask away orngbiggrin.gif and thank you, btw, for capitalizing "Pagan"-- it's a pet peeve of mine that now that we're a legit religion (or group of, as it were) we are still not deserving of a capital letter, even amongst our own!

I am Maiasaura, single mama to one 11yo ds. We live in NC but are trying to sell the house praying.gifso we can move to MA, where my true love lives luxlove.gif In October '09, he and I got back together after 35 years apart. We went steady in high school. Twice. Now it's permanent heartbeat.gif but we're 800+ miles apart mecry.gif

DS has off of school this week for Spring break. I wanted to go to church this morning but I'm being supremely lazy.

I'm Pagan. Wiccan specifically, Witch for sure. We used to belong and go quite a bit to the UU, but then I got curious about Catholicism because my boyfriend's Catholic, so we started going to classes there to learn about it, but it's not really resonating-- I grew up Episcopalian so it wasn't far off from what I knew, but I can't get past the One-God-my-way-is-the-highway thing. I'm trying to reconcile them all, because I love being a Witch, and I do see the beauty of Christianity, but so far it's not working very well shrug.gif so I kind of do both. Or all three.

Our UU is very, very accommodating of all faiths or no faith, but-- gawd, this sounds so elitist or something-- I am so over crunchiness and social justice and hippies, even old ones. I don't think I want to be ignorantly mainstream, either...I don't know what I want. I want to be in the middle somewhere.

For me it's instinctual to write a religion with a capital letter :) 

I really resonate with the bolded part. Its not the One God part I have issue with its the one way to God and the billions of different interpretations for the "rules" that I find exhaustive and sometimes grating. 

It also doesn't resonate for me that there is no female deity. For a long time I wondered why I felt like something didn't add up. If we are made in God's image, then why does it take two to make one? Wouldn't we then just be assexual and multiply like cells?

I dunno. I feel like Love is at the center of everything. Love creates. The love of two people creates more love. The love of a parent and child creates more love. The love of friends creates more love. 

At this point in my post I'm not sure where I'm going with this LOL I'm just laying things out as I think them.

DH and I both came from Christian backgrounds. His was more strict than mine. We've both just been burnt too many times and had way too many questions go unanswered. He's aware that I'm looking at other religions to find one that resonates for me. I feel the need to have somewhere to put my faith. Because its there. I can't NOT believe in something higher. I can't imagine that this is all we're meant for and it will mean nothing in the end. I just need to find my own way.

#16 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yay! april thread. thanks for starting this thread and linking from the old one.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#17 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 PM

HOORAY FOR APRIL!!! joy.gif

Maia, I didn't get to say this on the last thread but I am SOO excited for M's new job.  I hope that it helps to bring him steps closer to feeling at peace.  

WELCOME Mommy2Austin!  wave.gif  I definitely classify myself as Pagan...with a little Buddhist flair...

DoK: I had a weird burning smell come from my car a few years ago and it turned out to be a plastic bag that got stuck underneath and melted.  It stunk for a while but finally went away - I hope that it's the same for you!!! Car repairs are just the worst.  Grr!  

Lioness: How are you feeling, pregnancy-wise these days?  I cannot believe you are in your 3rd Trimester already.  How did that happen?! Of course, I'm sitting here UNpregnant so I'm sure it feels a lot different to you, the one who is growing the wee-one. haha!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
Yarn is my religion, apparently. orngbiggrin.gif

awesome. 

Quote:

But I didn't realize there are extremists on all sides of the spectrum, and even the hippies can get dogmatic and rigid, and I'm just...I am back to the middle of the road. I want everybody to accept everyone's path for what it is, y'know?

I actually had a similar convo with DH.  I said something along the lines of being extremely liberal can be as confining as being extremely conservative.  

glassesgirl: I also FF after 2 months of trying to EBF.  I wanted to BF badly but it was not a good fit for us (we had similar issues with jaundice, loss of weight, etc).  I knew I had to do what felt best for myself and Z.  "Willful" describes Z to a T. haha.  I also like to call her determined and persistent.  Since the minute she was born.  She's a Taurus, though.  Luckily, I grew up with a Taurus dad and sister so I have some experience. winky.gif As well as a special place in my heart for Tauruses.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

I wish I could get into UU, just for the sake of the Religious Education. But the few times my DH and I have gone, we just feel, well, bored. The people seem nice enough, and we believe in the values and the social justice (though honestly, I'm not an action person. I'll happily write checks to orgs when I can, but...). We just can't get into the services, though. I need more formalized ritual, and DH just wants to go in the woods and meditate.

DD was asking about Easter yesterday since we went on an Easter egg hunt. I explained to her it's how some people celebrate Spring, like we celebrate Ostara and others celebrate Passover. I'll have to be sure to read "Looking for Easter" to her again this week, but eventually I do want her to know what Christian beliefs are, as it is part of her heritage, and I strongly feel she should be culturally literate.

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Easter-Dori-Chaconas/dp/0807547506/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333309264&sr=1-1

Love this book, witchy!  Thank you!!  We were just talking about how we celebrate Easter as a celebration of the fertility of the Earth so this is just perfection!  Your DH sounds like mine.  His idea of "going to church" is a hike through the woods.  

I also wish that I could feel the UU - but anything that organized freaks me out.  Probably a little "gun shy" from all the politic-clique-y crap that went on in our church growing up.  I like being a solitary over here right now.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#18 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 PM

treehugger.gif  for April's thread!

And welcome Mommy2Austin!! And I love your insights on how everything is manifested out of love! It rings quite true with me. Good luck on researching the celtic Pagan path, it sounds like fun!

DOK - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's a simple issue such as a trapped plastic bag

LM - I have been away from the group too long, if you're in your 3rd trimester already!  Here's to some easy vibes and some restful healing

Maia - please tell M congrats on the new job! I saw that as I was trying to catch up on March's thread, oh I am so behind on so much!

Witchy - good luck with the diet and I hope it's working!!!

Like I said before - I'm feeling so behind, thank you Merc retrograde!!  I haven't finished my TM, I just started plotting out my garden and I've barely squeeked by studying since I decided to take the plunge and dedicate the next year & 1day for studying my path.    Is anyone else feeling just out of sorts, constantly running, but making no progress?

Oh and I decided to buy a sewing machine and learn to sew - in what spare time I do not know, but it was in an effort to stop DH from buying the kids more jeans since all their knees are worn out and need patching.  I think I'm going crazy?? dizzy.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#19 of 201 Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Happy April, all you Fools!  Here's a lovely female tarot Fool - I'd wish to be her for a day.

I don't tease or trick anyone on April Fools Day, but I love to meditate on tarot images of the Fool.

Mary3mama - I love "Middle Indiana" and, even more, "yarn is my religion"

Welcome, Mommy2Austin!

Maia (from last month) I have coconut oil in my coffee or tea every morning, with a bit of orange stevia or honey.  Yum.  Never tried butter.

#20 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 AM

I'm going a little crazy. I've decided to trying water-only washes for my hair. I tried conditioner only a year ago and had some nice results, but it soon stopped working as nice so i went back to shampoo and conditioner (which means washing every single day and it still looking crummy... blah) here's hoping for good results (though I know it'll have a big adjustment period)

Still researching and enjoying learning about the many faces in Paganism as well as about my culture (Largely Scotch-Irish, with a little Jewish mixed in :) ) 

#21 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Oh and I decided to buy a sewing machine and learn to sew - in what spare time I do not know, but it was in an effort to stop DH from buying the kids more jeans since all their knees are worn out and need patching.  I think I'm going crazy?? dizzy.gif

I am NO seamstress...but putting patches on jeans is really easy. No lessons needed at all! You can buy a cheap machine at any big box store for $100 ish. Or you might find one at a thrift store or off craigslist for less.

Basically all you need to know for the patches is how to thread the machine, how to wind a bobbin and how to adjust the tension. If you buy a used one from a person they might be able to show you those things.

If you are gonna sew on denim, though, you will need stronger needles...go to a JoAnn's Fabric store if you have one in your areas. Usually the ladies working in the sewing department are really good about helping me to find the supplies I need -- I usually take along what I've been using (needles, bobbins, etc.) and they help me match it. 

My machine is from the 70s (was my MILs...she gave it to me) so parts and supplies are not readily available anymore -- but close matches are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Mary3mama - I love "Middle Indiana" and, even more, "yarn is my religion"

The Great Yarn religion of Middle Indiana.

Where wool is sacred and all vestments are hand knit. lol.gif

Ooooh, that's a great start --- must noodle on that a while. orngbiggrin.gif

Maryhippie.gif

#22 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:

orngbiggrin.gif and thank you, btw, for capitalizing "Pagan"-- it's a pet peeve of mine that now that we're a legit religion (or group of, as it were) we are still not deserving of a capital letter, even amongst our own!

shhhh, i dont usually capitalize anything. but it is bc i am too lazy to use the shift bar......  and thanks for the well wishes. i am starting to feel better. after some other symptoms cropped up i am starting to think we caught rsv.

Quote:

I just want to live in a more...I dunno...I mean, a place can get so diverse it's homogeneous, does that make any sense at all?

yes that does make sense. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Lioness: How are you feeling, pregnancy-wise these days?  I cannot believe you are in your 3rd Trimester already.  How did that happen?! Of course, I'm sitting here UNpregnant so I'm sure it feels a lot different to you, the one who is growing the wee-one. haha!! 

thanks! it went by fast and i still have lots to do. but at least we got the taxes back so i finish paying the midwife. that was the big worry. i have at the least 10 weeks left. 14 at the most. each kid has come earlier than the last so i am expecting this one to show up around june 13th. my firstborn was june 21. i will laugh my butt off if they end up sharing a birthday. my oldest wont think it is so funny though. but i will bc they are my only 2 boys!

Quote:

LM - I have been away from the group too long, if you're in your 3rd trimester already!  Here's to some easy vibes and some restful healing

Like I said before - I'm feeling so behind, thank you Merc retrograde!!  I haven't finished my TM, I just started plotting out my garden and I've barely squeeked by studying since I decided to take the plunge and dedicate the next year & 1day for studying my path.    Is anyone else feeling just out of sorts, constantly running, but making no progress?

this week is my first week of my 3rd tri. very exciting and i am huge! 

i have felt so out of sorts. and not just bc everyone is sick either. i just feel stuck like i cant go forward, like walking through mud. but yet i have all this stuff to do and i feel like i am constantly going but not getting anywhere. 

i cant not sew the holes of jeans with a sewing machine. the denim is too thick and it doesnt sew well for me. i prefer to iron on the patches. i need to figure out making diapers out of old tshirts. that is my next project. i dont want sewed edges on all four sides. i want them to be like commercially bought prefolds. i  need to get the measurements for the finished thing and then cut up a tshirt and figure out the puzzle of how i want to do this. the seams need to be down the sides of the middle panel. and i want to put extra layers of flannel down the middle. make the pretty. i already have 2 doz old t shirts, and a dozen flannel receiving blankets. i just need to finagle the details. i havent made any progress on this bc of everything else that has been going on. but i have been thinking about i. :)

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#23 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

Well, you're talking to a formula feeding mom right now :)  -- when I tried EBF, my daughter ended up back in the hospital with dehydration and jaundice.  But I did hire two lactation consultants and a postpartum doula (who called my daughter "very, very willful") before going over to formula entirely...

I'm assuming you were referring to the people who don't even TRY to BF!!

You're reminding me of the people in Park Slope, Brooklyn (not where I live) who join the food co-op so they can preach the virtues of organic, local, etc., but then they order their nannies to fulfill their co-op work shifts for them!!  ROTFLMAO.gif Talk about the point flying right over your head.

In other news, Osiris (our ghost boa) just had a lovely shed, including his eyecaps.  He's a little cranky now, but that should change once he gets a meal in him... 

Yes, of course I am referring to people who choose FF as a "lifestyle choice". It galls me--  not just FFing by choice, I mean how far removed we are (and I am including myself, here) from the natural world.

Your Park Slope sounds *exactly* like what I mean! Asheville isn't like that-- it's not rich by any standards, in the hippie community anyway (the young parents), but yeah about preaching the virtues of organic (or babywearing or no refined sugar or no public school or no meat or whatever...)

Yay for pretty sheds! I love snakes. I used to have a ball python. I miss her. But I do NOT miss cleaning up after her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostI wish I could get into UU, just for the sake of the Religious Education. But the few times my DH and I have gone, we just feel, well, bored. The people seem nice enough, and we believe in the values and the social justice (though honestly, I'm not an action person. I'll happily write checks to orgs when I can, but...). We just can't get into the services, though. I need more formalized ritual, and DH just wants to go in the woods and meditate.

Culturally literate, YES! That's another point for balance. I brought ds to the UU ages ago just for the RE, though, yes, I am getting extremely bored with the services myself. I want him to know all about other religions! I knew ages ago, when he was little, that if I was dogmatic about keeping him Pagan and not exposing him to other things, I would just grow me a fundie lol.gif I think he considers himself "half Christian half Pagan" at the moment. Hey, it's his choice, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View PostIt also doesn't resonate for me that there is no female deity. For a long time I wondered why I felt like something didn't add up. If we are made in God's image, then why does it take two to make one? Wouldn't we then just be assexual and multiply like cells?

biglaugh.gif

That was awesome. YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Postyay! april thread. thanks for starting this thread and linking from the old one.

You are welcome or starting it-- I didn't link it, though; I have no idea how to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia, I didn't get to say this on the last thread but I am SOO excited for M's new job.  I hope that it helps to bring him steps closer to feeling at peace.  

glassesgirl: I also FF after 2 months of trying to EBF.  I wanted to BF badly but it was not a good fit for us (we had similar issues with jaundice, loss of weight, etc).  I knew I had to do what felt best for myself and Z.  "Willful" describes Z to a T. haha.  I also like to call her determined and persistent.  Since the minute she was born.  She's a Taurus, though.  Luckily, I grew up with a Taurus dad and sister so I have some experience. winky.gif As well as a special place in my heart for Tauruses.  

M is very humbled and thankful for all y'all's good wishes! He says thanks smile.gif

I hope I didn't come off as judgmental about FFing moms. All I was trying to say is...well, I can't help it but I *am* judgmental about FFing as a lifestyle choice, but for the moms such as you who tried hard and couldn't-- I am grateful that we have formula at all. It definitely has its place and that is what it's meant for! Babies died of eating "gruel" back in the day when a wet nurse couldn't be found! Formula is definitely a blessing. But a choice? How can one choose not to nurse? Especially my own experience, the urge to nurse is so strong, it's instinctual, like breathing. I don't get how a new mom could deny that urge, no matter how adamantly she thought before birth that she would not want to nurse.

I hope you guys aren't mad at me for saying that. I don't mean you grouphug.gif

Tauruses-- ye Gods, I was plagued with them until a couple years ago. Know what I mean? Do the rest of you guys have lots of <insert zodiac sign here> in your lives? I don't know why, but I had a plethora of people born in April or May for a lot of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostDOK - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's a simple issue such as a trapped plastic bag

Maia - please tell M congrats on the new job! I saw that as I was trying to catch up on March's thread, oh I am so behind on so much!

Is anyone else feeling just out of sorts, constantly running, but making no progress?

YES! But then, I'm ADD and I've always felt that way lol.gif Just, sometimes more than others.

M says thank you innocent.gif

Trapped plastic bag-- UGH, I have never had one in my car, but one time one got stuck in my crock pot, between the removable insert and the outside-- oh, YUCK, I do not know how that happened, but for ages, all my crock food smelled like burning plastic grossedout.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostMaia (from last month) I have coconut oil in my coffee or tea every morning, with a bit of orange stevia or honey.  Yum.  Never tried butter.

Nor have I, but I am going to! They sell that Kerry Gold Irish butter here in the poor store. Along with Amish roll butter. YUM! That butter is so good that for the first time I can understand why ds used to eat butter all by itself. That used to freaking gross.me.out. like nobody's business, but I can do it easily with the Amish roll butter!

So I gained 12+lbs over the last 7 weeks, for no apparent reason-- I am back on the weight loss mode again to get it off before I maybe delve into what witchygrrl is doing. That seems to be my only last resort as to why I can lose easily but not keep it off. That is so frustrating-- but I need to figure it out, and soon, because I think yo-yoing up and down 15lb every two months has got to be worse than any of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View PostI'm going a little crazy. I've decided to trying water-only washes for my hair. I tried conditioner only a year ago and had some nice results, but it soon stopped working as nice so i went back to shampoo and conditioner (which means washing every single day and it still looking crummy... blah) here's hoping for good results (though I know it'll have a big adjustment period)

Still researching and enjoying learning about the many faces in Paganism as well as about my culture (Largely Scotch-Irish, with a little Jewish mixed in :) ) 

I wish I could do that, but I just can't. I have dry hair and I can go maybe a week without washing at all, but mostly I have to wash 2x a week. I can't see the no-poo thing...I'm sure people washed their hair before there was shampoo, but I wonder what with?

Going to get a weed eater I found on Craig's List today for $40. Mine died greensad.gif

#24 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View PostI am NO seamstress...but putting patches on jeans is really easy. No lessons needed at all! You can buy a cheap machine at any big box store for $100 ish. Or you might find one at a thrift store or off craigslist for less.

Basically all you need to know for the patches is how to thread the machine, how to wind a bobbin and how to adjust the tension. If you buy a used one from a person they might be able to show you those things.

If you are gonna sew on denim, though, you will need stronger needles...go to a JoAnn's Fabric store if you have one in your areas. Usually the ladies working in the sewing department are really good about helping me to find the supplies I need -- I usually take along what I've been using (needles, bobbins, etc.) and they help me match it.

Yes, this!!! I don't sew either, but I have a cheap machine that my mother bought me, because she DOES sew and is just brilliant at it, but she got sick of me bringing her my mending lol.gif

So for her, it was enlightened self-interest, but for me it has been a Godsend! I can patch my own things! They don't look all that great, but it works. I don't use special needles for denim. Most of my ds's jeans are thin enough by the time they need patches that they are like regular cotton material lol.gif

Sometimes I iron on patches, and then sew around the edges just to make sure they'll stay on.

It is very easy to sew simple stuff like patches. If you are in the least intelligent, you can wing it. As long as you know how to thread the machine, like Mary said, and wind a bobbin, you're in! Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

#25 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I know it's not April yet for 3 hours and 15 minutes but I wanted to be the thread starter! orngbiggrin.gif

Happy April Fool's Day! Is anyone going to Fool anyone? I am horrible at that...I can only think of cruel things hide.gif

Man, this thread took off quickly! Maybe I'm just a no-fun feminist, but I really hate being tricked, and I find all the prank posts on social networks this time of year obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

Hi ladies :)

As for April Fool's Day, I posted a picture of a positive pregnancy test on my Facebook. My husband had a vasectomy so I'm definitely not pregnant. Only one person has been smart enough to tell people to be careful that it IS April Fool's Day :)

If anyone has any resources for a beginner I'd also appreciate them. I feel drawn towards Celtic Paganism (though what part I'm not sure,) but right now I'm just trying to be open up to anything and everything I can learn about.

Welcome.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

I definitely feel the same way. I generally tell people I'm UU before I tell them I'm Pagan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Welcome, Mommy2Austin!

Hoping that it starts to get mild now that April is here.  We had a period of hot weather, then chilly.  Now I just want temps in the 60's, please.  (up to 72 is fine.)

There's a terrible burning smell coming from my car.  Have to bring it to the mechanic on Monday...Although I don't know if I'll be able to get it fixed.

Now that Spring is here, I plan to ramp up my home business.  I really need some 'extra' money!

Let us know about how it goes with your car. I hope it's just a plastic bag.

Quote:

Well, I've been here for 8 years, and I moved here from a place where nobody breastfed past 6 months, and it was just unheard of to cloth diaper ("WHY would you do that?") let alone wear the baby, all of which I did rather instinctually and didn't know there was a name for. But I didn't realize there are extremists on all sides of the spectrum, and even the hippies can get dogmatic and rigid, and I'm just...I am back to the middle of the road. I want everybody to accept everyone's path for what it is, y'know?

Now-- that is not to say I don't believe in enlightenment or education. I do. Hugely. I am a huge lactivist and intactivist and I will go on and on about those...but I try not to be "holier than thou" about it. I don't freak or act condescending when I see a formula feeding mom (though I am still trying to wangle a way to ask politely!).

But at my UU church, everybody's old and white and rich and they do lots of social justicey things-- which is lovely, really, Habitat Houses or tsunami rescue or Katrina-- they're all on the front lines. And nobody really lords it over anybody. They do act humble about it. But it just seems...over the top, to me. It's like...go LIVE LIFE or something, I dunno. It's like...I'd love to have that kind of money and time, but when you're a single mama working hard to raise a high-needs boy and getting by, it *seems* very unhumble, and it grates on one.

I actually think that UU is not exactly diverse. I don't think that's a bad thing, but if you're UU, you're probably well educated, white, white collar, middle class or affluent, liberal, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

I wish I could get into UU, just for the sake of the Religious Education. But the few times my DH and I have gone, we just feel, well, bored.

I find service boring and coffee hour overwhelming. I do like the worship it offers for young adults, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Happy April, all you Fools!  Here's a lovely female tarot Fool - I'd wish to be her for a day.

I don't tease or trick anyone on April Fools Day, but I love to meditate on tarot images of the Fool.

I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

I'm going a little crazy. I've decided to trying water-only washes for my hair. I tried conditioner only a year ago and had some nice results, but it soon stopped working as nice so i went back to shampoo and conditioner (which means washing every single day and it still looking crummy... blah) here's hoping for good results (though I know it'll have a big adjustment period)

I don't use shampoo and conditioner. I do use baking soda and and a vinegar/chamomile/tea tree oil mix. Water only would make a nasty build up on my scalp.

I've been trying to learn more about my ancestral cultures, too. We don't know about my mother (she's adopted), but I'm definitely interested in Irish and Lithuanian Paganism. My husband is Jewish but very assimilated. I'll serve Matzo Ball soup and charoset this weekend. We'll got to my in-laws for a full fledge sedar (though they don't sing or anything: even I think it's long and boring). There's a secular Jewish center that teaches Jewish culture and Hebrew to kids we always think about doing with the kids, but it's so pricey and conflicts with UU church...

Anyway, my daughter is finally not contagious with chicken pox anymore, so we can go outside. We're going to go on a walk (or I guess she's going to ride her bike, probably) to the bookstore to celebrate being out and about again!

I also went to my first Bluegrass jam with other people. I sucked, but I had a lot of fun. I talked to my husband, and he agreed to let me take lessons at the folk music school near my house where my daughter takes ukulele lessons. I'm so excited. They start in a month. We've stopped trying to avoid pregnancy (not actively trying to conceive, but we conceived my daughter by accident and my second child took only one cycle of trying before I was pregnant with him), but I do relish this little period where I can go out a little bit and do things I love other than raise kids.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#26 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

I don't use shampoo and conditioner. I do use baking soda and and a vinegar/chamomile/tea tree oil mix. Water only would make a nasty build up on my scalp.

I've tried Baking Soda and Vinegar and tea tree oil. I could never get the right mix for it to work. The Water Only is a lot more labor intensive than anything else I've tried. I spend a lot of time rubbing away at my scalp under the water to remove the build up and then a lot of time once its dry working the oil down into the length. Since I'm basically home bound 5-6 days a week (one vehicle and DH uses it for work where he drives all day) until we can afford another vehicle, it doesn't really matter if it looks knarly for a while.

Quote:

So I gained 12+lbs over the last 7 weeks, for no apparent reason-- I am back on the weight loss mode again to get it off before I maybe delve into what witchygrrl is doing. That seems to be my only last resort as to why I can lose easily but not keep it off. That is so frustrating-- but I need to figure it out, and soon, because I think yo-yoing up and down 15lb every two months has got to be worse than any of it.

I'm fighting that fight too. And since we're on a limited budget at the moment so trying to buy the fresh food is not budget friendly. I'm hoping soon we'll be in a better position for me to get this weight off.

I wish I could do that, but I just can't. I have dry hair and I can go maybe a week without washing at all, but mostly I have to wash 2x a week. I can't see the no-poo thing...I'm sure people washed their hair before there was shampoo, but I wonder what with?

I have had scalp issues for years and nothing has helped that I've tried thus far. It all either leaves my scalp flaky and itchy or my length brittle and dry. I know from reading I've done they didn't wash their hair as often as we do and I know they used a lot of herbal type rinses and such when they did. 

#27 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM

I'm glad to hear I do not need to be a seamstress to try and darn/patch jeans!  I think I was feeling overwhelmed in reading the manual and it had already been a long day, so bam!  I hit my wall of emotion in feeling like a possible failure at sewing. Also my horrid memories of home ec were coming back to haunt me.  I'm going to order my machine from Amazon (i liked the reviews for it and the number of them which were positive) and return the machine I bought at jo-anns since it wasn't the one and really I wasn't sure about it.  I just need to take a deep breath and put on my BGP (big girl panties) and get crackin'.

Re: Shampoo/Conditioning - I only use shampoo once per week and wash my hair with conditioner every other day or every 2 days depending on how gunky it looks/feels.  Now that I have short hair I seem to be able to lengthen the time between washes.  I've tried baking soda & vinegar and it wrecked havoc on my hair - too drying or too oily and I could never get it right. 

Is anyone else starting to tinker with their gardens?  If so what are you planting this year???  I've just started my seeds (since most of my stuff can't go out until June) and I'm really working on incorporating herbs more into my flower beds so I can have access to more fresh (and then dried ones) during the season.    Also I found an amazing marble mortar and pestle at Goodwill, so I can't wait to begin grinding up herbs into homemade incense blends!!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#28 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I'm glad to hear I do not need to be a seamstress to try and darn/patch jeans!  I think I was feeling overwhelmed in reading the manual and it had already been a long day, so bam!  I hit my wall of emotion in feeling like a possible failure at sewing. Also my horrid memories of home ec were coming back to haunt me.  I'm going to order my machine from Amazon (i liked the reviews for it and the number of them which were positive) and return the machine I bought at jo-anns since it wasn't the one and really I wasn't sure about it.  I just need to take a deep breath and put on my BGP (big girl panties) and get crackin'.

Re: Shampoo/Conditioning - I only use shampoo once per week and wash my hair with conditioner every other day or every 2 days depending on how gunky it looks/feels.  Now that I have short hair I seem to be able to lengthen the time between washes.  I've tried baking soda & vinegar and it wrecked havoc on my hair - too drying or too oily and I could never get it right. 

Is anyone else starting to tinker with their gardens?  If so what are you planting this year???  I've just started my seeds (since most of my stuff can't go out until June) and I'm really working on incorporating herbs more into my flower beds so I can have access to more fresh (and then dried ones) during the season.    Also I found an amazing marble mortar and pestle at Goodwill, so I can't wait to begin grinding up herbs into homemade incense blends!!!

I'm a garden failure. I can't get things to grow right, or forget to water them, or water them too much. And Florida heat seems  to be a crop shoot for me on what will survive and what won't. Some day I hope I can my act together and make something happen :)

#29 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI actually think that UU is not exactly diverse. I don't think that's a bad thing, but if you're UU, you're probably well educated, white, white collar, middle class or affluent, liberal, etc...

I find service boring and coffee hour overwhelming. I do like the worship it offers for young adults, though.

I also went to my first Bluegrass jam with other people. I sucked, but I had a lot of fun.

Why does the Jewish thing conflict with the UU?

Yeah, I don't think our UU is diverse either, except maybe with regard to personal religious beliefs. Ours has plenty of Christians of all stripes (except Evangelicals lol.gif), Pagans, even some atheists, and some other religions, probably.

But when I said "diverse", I was referring to the town in which I live. It's mostly white, and there are black areas (IOW white and black are mostly segregated-- except my neighborhood, where I am pretty sure I am the only white family), and there are Hispanic areas, but the town claims tons of diversity eyesroll.gif

Bluegrass-- you would LOVELOVELOVE our local radio station, WNCW-FM. Go look it up, you can stream online! This area is very bluegrass-oriented. Oh, and WNCW has a FB page, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostI'm glad to hear I do not need to be a seamstress to try and darn/patch jeans!

Is anyone else starting to tinker with their gardens?

Nope. No planting again this year, except maybe flowers, for whoever buys this house.

And NO, you do not need to be a seamstress! I am anything but, and if I can figure out patching, so can you thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View PostI'm a garden failure. I can't get things to grow right, or forget to water them, or water them too much.

That would SO be me greensad.gif

#30 of 201 Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM

The only churches in a one hour drive radius are Catholic, Evangelist or JW I think... The only UU is 1h30 at least and English so not a good match for my kids (who aren't bilingual yet)... So I'm solitary by necessity.

Diet: Maya, try the no egg/no dairy/no nuts for the first weeks of P3... you might be able to stabilize and see if one of them is hurting your weight. I've been able to reintroduce milk (Latte), a few cheese (cream cheese, fresh curds and cheddar), eggs, blanched almonds and walnut so far. I have yet to try cream, soft cheese and other nuts... I really have to watch salt content : no canned good, Halloom Cheese, ... or the scale goes up!

No poo: my hair and my scalp really like the baking soda/apple cider vinegar. I can go at least 7 days between wash and have no dandruff anymore. One have to find the best combo for its body... just like with diet: some thrive on raw food, some vegan, etc... My body wants Paleo/Primal for now.  

Valérie   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page