"Simply" Catholic Mamas - Easter through Christ the King - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

tinybutterfly, there are several Catholic rites that are in full communion with the pope, but the prayers of the Mass are different, as are the calendar and the disciplines (fasting, etc). The Byzantine rite is one of these, formed by Byzantine Orthodox who returned to full communion with Rome while retaining their own traditions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

tinybutterfly, there are several Catholic rites that are in full communion with the pope, but the prayers of the Mass are different, as are the calendar and the disciplines (fasting, etc). The Byzantine rite is one of these, formed by Byzantine Orthodox who returned to full communion with Rome while retaining their own traditions.

Thanks! I am still learning! There is a lot to learn! :)

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM

Tomorrow the kids get to wear saints costumes to church. They are pretty excited. We haven't been to a church that has done this before. I just realized we haven't do e wings for ds 1 st Michael costume, oy.
Started adult ECF last week so hong to learn a bunch about Byzantine traditions.
P&L prayers your way.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

An excommunicated priest is interviewed and praised on a Canadian catholic TV station (use of small c is on purpose)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=toAT28ebIvc

More information about Fr Baum, the excommunicated priest, here:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/on-gregory-baum-msgr-foy-responds-to-recent-catholic-media-fawning-over-dis/

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Quick question.  If you haven't been to Confession in say, forever... can you still go to "regular" Confession or do you have to make a formal appointment or something?  I'm talking, I haven't gone since I was 14, 15, and since then, let's just say that I've committed more sins on the list than I haven't.  (I'm not a hardened criminal or anything, but I've not lived a particularly Catholic lifestyle either.  By mainstream standards I'm pretty tame but as far as Examination of Consciences go... I pretty much fail the quiz, iykwim.)  Is is possible to just go line up during one of the general Confession times and do it?  And how specific do I need to get - because if I went down the list, it would take a while.  Agh... 

Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Tiqa, you can go to a general confession, but if you expect to take a very long time, it might be best to make an appointment. But put it this way -- it's better that you go, and if having to make an appointment would prevent or delay you from going, then just go to open confession times. For venial sins, you don't really have to get too specific, but mortal sins you are supposed to confess more specifically, number of times, etc. but you don't need to go into huge detail. When you go, just let the priest know you haven't gone in awhile, and ask him to help you along. He can prompt you or give you a card to read, as far as reciting the prayers if you don't remember them, and he will ask you for more information about your sins if he feels it's necessary. As long as you are going with an open, repentant heart & are truly sorry for all your sins, even if you don't do everything exactly by the book it should still be a valid confession. smile.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 PM

You can go to regular confession if you feel more comfortable. But, you could set up an appointment if you prefer that. When I went after a long time, I went to regular confession. As far as what to confess, obviously, you're not going to get it all. Try to get all your mortal sins covered, though. And a statement at the end about being sorry for all the things you forgot to mention is good too. Try to list as much as you can while being reasonable. If you're prepared in advance (maybe write down a list), you'll be surprised as to how much you can squeeze in a short period of time.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Have any of you ladies heard of any diocese or other offering health insurance that families can purchase privately that is compatible with Catholic morality? I wish Solidarity would get up and running. I'm running out of time before our health insurance switches over.

Discernment is continuing. We had a beautiful weekend at a little church in Idaho that was celebrating 30 years of perpetual adoration. We're developing an alternate plan where we're considering moving just outside the town (a few miles away from the church) and getting some land and some animals and starting up a homestead.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Have any of you ladies heard of any diocese or other offering health insurance that families can purchase privately that is compatible with Catholic morality? I wish Solidarity would get up and running. I'm running out of time before our health insurance switches over.

Discernment is continuing. We had a beautiful weekend at a little church in Idaho that was celebrating 30 years of perpetual adoration. We're developing an alternate plan where we're considering moving just outside the town (a few miles away from the church) and getting some land and some animals and starting up a homestead.

Hi,

I was wondering, what is the name of the church, do they have a website? Do they have the Latin Mass? I would love to hear more about this quaint town. Glad to hear about your nice weekend :)

Thanks,Peace, Blessings.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

I'm not sure it's a "quaint" town because you have to have a certain number of Catholics available to keep perpetual adoration going for 30 years, but it doesn't take long to get out of town. No on the Latin Mass, and full disclosure: they didn't get the memo that the "Lamb of God" setting they're using is not approved. However, the pastor has been publishing tidbits from the GIRM in the bulletin and has just discontinued Communion services that had been happening regularly on his day off.

http://www.stedschurch.org/

Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Happy New Year, Catholic Mamas! Here's our new thread!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure it's a "quaint" town because you have to have a certain number of Catholics available to keep perpetual adoration going for 30 years, but it doesn't take long to get out of town. No on the Latin Mass, and full disclosure: they didn't get the memo that the "Lamb of God" setting they're using is not approved. However, the pastor has been publishing tidbits from the GIRM in the bulletin and has just discontinued Communion services that had been happening regularly on his day off.

http://www.stedschurch.org/

Thank you :) Is it just me, or is this website less active since they changed it? I have noticed that since it changed, people do not post as often :(

I used to see tons of posts in every category. Now its days, days without a single post in different threads....:(

Blessings to all the Mamas :)

Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Countryangels, I think it was about the time Mothering Magazine went under. Be sure to subscribe to the new thread to keep in touch.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Countryangels, I think it was about the time Mothering Magazine went under. Be sure to subscribe to the new thread to keep in touch.

Which one is it? And how do I do that? Sorry...

I remember that in the past, if I had a ? about baking bread, or anything else, health, Catholic ? anything, I would get replies right away. Now, it takes days... And some of my posts have never been looked at or answered :(  Its sad, this was a nice community...

I also wonder if it had anything to do with the format changing as well as things being posted on Facebook. A lot of us do not like Facebook. I just do not go there. But, I was hoping people would still keep coming here. I hope this stays around. I prefer the older format of the forum, but this is better than nothing, kwim?

I would like to keep in touch with at least you guys, since we have the Faith as well, that   makes us even more unique, if you know what I mean winky.gif  We have more in common. And its harder to find like minded Catholic Ladies smile.gif

Thank you for your reply, God bless.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM

See the first message on this page...

Yes, I agree the the changes have driven people away. This is not the same place anymore, which is really unfortunate.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.

User Tag List