No longer a christian, but what am I? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I just signed up yesterday but I've been a long-time lurker. smile.gif

As the title says I'm no longer a christian as of a few months ago, but had doubts for a while before that as well. Before I was "born-again", I was just plain old me; doing what I wanted, didn't really follow a philosophy or religion, although my family is Catholic.

I have 4 children and we homeschool so the last few months have been busy. Now that summer is here, I have some time. I'd like to figure out who I am, where I am in life spiritually. To me it's all a journey. Right now I just feel so lost.

So, no longer a christian. I do not believe in a literal hell or heaven any longer. I do not believe Jesus is the only way anymore. I feel like I've been brainwashed these last few years. At this point, I think I believe that there is something more powerful, but not really God, at least maybe not the christian God.

I'm kinda feeling like live and let live. Be honest, be kind, be compassionate. I like seasonal celebrations, I'd like to learn more about the moon phases. I believe you get what you put out (karma?). Beyond that, I'm not sure at this point. This is where I need help.

I'd like book rec's, maybe blogs about spiritual journeys, somewhere to start.

Please help if you can! smile.gif

#2 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Have you tried the infamous Belief-o-matic Quiz? :)

From your description, it sounds like you'd feel at home with UUs...but they are not the only ones I know who might blend pagan/seasonal celebrations.  That seems to be growing everywhere, really.

I'll try and come back later with books and blogs. 

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#3 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Do you require a religious path?

I ask, because I thought I did, for a long time.  We have all been told that "everyone" believes in "something".

Well, we don't. 

I like seasonal celebrations as well.  At our house, we have flowers and candy season, BBQ and beer season, beer and awesome yummy food season, and then way too much yummy food and candy season. 

But this is not a spiritual or religious path.

Not knocking you if you do require something, just chiming in that not all of us do. 

smile.gif

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#4 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm raising mine with the dh as "agnostics with pagan leanings". We have parties and celebrations to honor the changing the seasons and as a good excuse to catch up with friends and loved ones. Also, regular parties keep me motivated to keep a clean house. redface.gif

Didn't care for the UU... too wishy washy. I think it fills a place for some adults as a community builder but any folks I knew that were raised UU as children are atheist at this point.
#5 of 8 Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM

We have embraced a variety of religious practices from all over the world. We are raising our kids to be spiritual and not religious.  I believe that the supreme source is oblivious to the labels we slap on things and experiences. They are beyond language.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#6 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM

I'm right there with you.  I was raised fundamental Baptist but quit going to church after I moved from home.  Then I half-heartedly went to some semi-liberal protestant churches off and on.  I recently quit going and I don't see myself going back.  I feel like I need to pick some religion so I've been reading a lot about the metaphyical and spirit world.  Right now I'm pursuing Wicca and other forms of paganism.  Not sure where my path will lead me though. 

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

I'm in a similar situation as the OP.  I was raised Catholic and went to 12 years Catholic school.  My husband's family was also Catholic but they stopped practicing when he was little.  I know the Catholic church is not right for me.  We tried a local Lutheran church and loved the pastor and liked some aspects (like women being pastors, etc) but we stopped going because I disagree with many of the principal beliefs of Christianity.  (etc.  belief that non-Christians are not going to heaven, views on reproductive issues, views on homosexuality, etc.)  I have looked into other religions but I have not found anything that fits my beliefs...yet I would like to raise my children with some sort of religion or spirituality. 

I do not think we will ever be parents who say - "This is how it is." - with regards to religion.  I sometimes worry that our spiritual confusion or lack of religious conviction is a bad thing.   My son questions what happens after death - a lot.  I am honest and tell him I am not sure but some people believe...etc.  So far he likes the idea of reincarnation much better than heaven.

We've been celebrating holidays in a mostly secular way.  We discuss other religions when possible (but we need to become more educated).  My husband and I were saying the other day...we wish there was some sort of comprehensive theology class we could take as a family and learn about all religions/traditions. 

#8 of 8 Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM

You don't need a label. You can be whatever you want. My DH is Japanese, grew up with bon dances, I grew up Christian and long ago found I was unable to reconcile the holes and flaws.. We've got a mini-shrine in our house but that doesn't mean we have an exclusive relationship with any religion! I like to think of Plato's cave allegory or even John Godfrey Saxe and his blind mind and the elephant. We might glimpse the divine or universal truth but maybe it is out of our grasp to know it in its entirety and that is okay. We can still appreciate what we do experience. This idea also fosters respect of other traditions.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page