September Pagan Family Thread: Moving toward Mabon - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 48 Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 AM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMomma View PostOh, I'm happy to have found this thread & wish I'd found it a few weeks ago!

All that being said -- I'm looking for a very kid friendly re-telling of the story of Mabon to share at the fire...any ideas???

 

What are the Revels? Sounds interesting.

 

Welcome! No ideas about Mabon...my 11yo ds is so not interested anymore. I go to public rituals here, and he doesn't participate. But it's his path, and I know if I force him, I'll be raising a fundie faster than you can shake a stick at disappointed.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostMabon: it's also DH's birthday.

 

If the weather is good, we'll celebrate around the firepit, if not, we'll do it by the fireplace.

I might bake a Paleo Honey Cake.

We'll keep it very simple since our schedule are crazy lately.

 

 

Happy b'day to your DH! That cake looks good. It links to Paleo banana bread, which I might try.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddal View PostHi there, I'm Robin and just wanted to introduce myself and say that I am glad to have found some other Pagan parents to converse with :-)  

My husband and I are expecting twins (mono/di girls) early next month.  While very nervous about becoming a parent, I'm also super-excited, especially about creating a warm, loving and spiritually open-minded home for us and our girls.  I've explored various paths in the past, but don't walk any specific path at this time. I identify with Goddess-centered spirituality and like to live in alignment with the wheel of the year as much as I can.

We just moved in July to a city that is much more in the "bible belt" than I'm used to, so it is comforting to have a connection with some other like-minded folks.  There is a Pagan group in our new town, but I haven't been able to get out and meet anyone yet, as I pretty much entered that super tired and not so mobile stage of twin pregnancy right after we moved.

I love studying and working with Tarot, especially the RWS deck and the Gaian Tarot, and do a little reading for people when I can (although that will definitely be on hold for a while wink1.gif when our twins arrive).  And I also love books, fiber arts, photography, and hiking (and being in nature in general, natch).  I was a photo archivist at a historical society before we moved, but have stopped working and will be a stay at home mom for now.  I'm also a kitty-mom to one 9 year old cat named BatCat smile.gif     We lost our dear old lady cat to cancer and kidney disease in May.

 

I wish all of you a blessed Mabon.  I think ours will be pretty low-key, since I'm so far along in pregnancy now.  Just some giving thanks, and some feasting on butternut squash and other goodies from the farmers market in town.  I can't believe Mabon is already here.  This year of pregnancy, moving and several other big life events has left me in a daze and I almost feel like I have lost an entire year.  I'm really looking forward to slowly getting back on track as I emerge into mama-hood smile.gif  

Blessings!

 

Welcome! You are nearish to me. I'm in Asheville, NC. I prefer the term "Goddess's girdle" to "Bible belt" winky.gif lol.gif Sounds like you'd really fit in well, here in Asheville. It's crunch-central. It was rated #1 veg-friendly city even over SanFran last year!

 

Oh, parenthood--- you will never be back on track lol.gif You have to find a new track!


Congrats on your impending parenthood! Boy, the gods are giving you an immersion course, eh? What with twins? What does mono/di mean?

 

Mmm...butternut squash. I have been uber low carb for awhile now-- no starch no sweeteners. I miss butternut squash. Might try a teensy bite this Mabon, if anyone brings any to the potluck. I am bringing some sort of frittata. Eggs (natch!), maybe asparagus, artichoke hearts, tomatoes. Maybe a meat, not sure.


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 48 Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 AM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

 

I think it's so awesome you have your sisters celebrating with you. Were you all raised Pagan?

 

I hope you find some community. I find as a Pagan parent, that can be really hard. A lot of groups are just not kid friendly

 

We must have cross-posted! Hi, revolting!

 

Isn't it so cool that Paganism is growing enough that you can actually ask a question like "Were you all raised Pagan"?

 

Pagan parenting-- as I said, my ds is 11, but when he was a little-little, I had to create kid-friendly Pagan stuff my ownself. It was really cool, actually. I think I started out with meetup.com maybe-- or also, there are public rituals here that have been going on for quite some time, and I put myself out there to help/help create kids' areas. When rituals took place outside, I had a kid table with coloring pages-- easy to find Pagan ones to print out! and a craft or two.
I think one year I collected baby food jars, and you can decorate those with glue and glitter, and holiday themed stickers. Coat with glue (dries clear) so the stickers stay on, and tie a pretty raffia ribbon around the top, and voila! Instant votive holder.

If I remember any more, I'll let you know orngbiggrin.gif

 

I'm sick as heck. I thought it was bronchitis. It WAS in my chest. It still is, but not so much-- now it's in my face. I sneezed six times in a row yesterday! Ugh. I hope I'm not contagious for the ritual tomorrow. Oh-- and we're still battling lice greensad.gif They SUCK. I have to say, though, having been infested with fleas in my past, and cockroaches, lice are comparatively not-so-bad. At least they don't jump, AND they stay localized to the head, which makes managing them really easy. I just wish they'd go away, though.

 

A young man in my son's martial arts class is due-- maybe today!-- with his first baby. It's so exciting. I need to get to the thrift store and pick up some baby clothes. They're having a little boy, and his name is going to be Liam. So cute!


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#33 of 48 Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 AM
 
siddal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Welcome! You are nearish to me. I'm in Asheville, NC. I prefer the term "Goddess's girdle" to "Bible belt" winky.gif lol.gif Sounds like you'd really fit in well, here in Asheville. It's crunch-central. It was rated #1 veg-friendly city even over SanFran last year!

 

Oh, parenthood--- you will never be back on track lol.gif You have to find a new track!


Congrats on your impending parenthood! Boy, the gods are giving you an immersion course, eh? What with twins? What does mono/di mean?

 

Mmm...butternut squash. I have been uber low carb for awhile now-- no starch no sweeteners. I miss butternut squash. Might try a teensy bite this Mabon, if anyone brings any to the potluck. I am bringing some sort of frittata. Eggs (natch!), maybe asparagus, artichoke hearts, tomatoes. Maybe a meat, not sure.

 

Thanks for the welcome, Maiasaura smile.gif

Goddess' girdle, I like that! winky.gif

Ah, Asheville!   What a great city!  We took a trip to Charleston/Folly Beach last year in October for our anniversary, and stopped in Asheville for 2 nights.  I loved it!  joy.gif

 

Yes, immersion course is right!  I guess the gods figured we got such a late start (I'm 41 and dh is almost 43) that we needed 2 in one go, ha ha.  Mono/di means that there are two sacs but one placenta, and we have been told that they will probably be identical.  We are super excited, but also kind of scared s$#@!less! ha!  I guess everyone feels that way to a degree, though.  

 

Your frittata sounds good.  Enjoy the potluck!


Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
siddal is offline  
#34 of 48 Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddal View Post

Ah, Asheville!   What a great city!  We took a trip to Charleston/Folly Beach last year in October for our anniversary, and stopped in Asheville for 2 nights.  I loved it!  joy.gif

 

Yes, immersion course is right!  I guess the gods figured we got such a late start (I'm 41 and dh is almost 43) that we needed 2 in one go, ha ha.  Mono/di means that there are two sacs but one placenta, and we have been told that they will probably be identical.  We are super excited, but also kind of scared s$#@!less! ha!  I guess everyone feels that way to a degree, though.  

 

Your frittata sounds good.  Enjoy the potluck!

 

Well, my little house is for sale, really cheap, if you want to move here winky.gif Here is the link and there's a nifty photo gallery, too http://westchapel.info/index.html

 

I had my boy at 41yo, too! How cool is that? His father was 46 at the time. He is since deceased-- don't worry, it's probably a good thing; we had a very, very ugly divorce and separation, and were likely breaking up when I got pregnant, so it's all good. It's been rough being a single mama, but it's pretty much all I've ever known, so I'm used to it.

 

Baking chicken right now-- I am still sick so I really need to rest, but I want to get on that frittata soon!

 

At least you don't have to deal with the circumcision dilemma, huh?


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#35 of 48 Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wave.gif  WELCOME SkyMomma and siddal!  wave.gif  Always glad to have new mamas in the mix!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMomma View Post

Oh, I'm happy to have found this thread & wish I'd found it a few weeks ago!  We usually celebrate Mabon with my 2 sisters & their families in a last-of-the-season camping trip.  One of my sister's birthday is the 23rd, so that's usually folded in as well.  We always have a giant fire & I make Three Sisters Soup (here's my recipe http://urbanwildchild.blogspot.com).  BUT this year, we're staying closer to home & only one of my sisters is around (..maybe I should make 2 sister soup). 

 

  I love that your family has a big Mabon camping trip.  That sounds really, really fun.   Do you all live near each other?  Can you share the version of the Persephone story that you use?  Your blog looks really cool and I will definitely have to check it out later.  Your family has STUNNING blue eyes.  holy moly!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Mabon: it's also DH's birthday.

 

If the weather is good, we'll celebrate around the firepit, if not, we'll do it by the fireplace.

I might bake a Paleo Honey Cake.

We'll keep it very simple since our schedule are crazy lately.

Happy Birthday to your DH!  I sometimes wish I had a fireplace in my house for rituals and relaxation.  Alas, I use the "yule log" DVD during the holidays.  Just not the same smell, though.  It does have the sound of crackling though! haha! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddal View Post

I wish all of you a blessed Mabon.  I think ours will be pretty low-key, since I'm so far along in pregnancy now.  Just some giving thanks, and some feasting on butternut squash and other goodies from the farmers market in town.  I can't believe Mabon is already here.  This year of pregnancy, moving and several other big life events has left me in a daze and I almost feel like I have lost an entire year.  I'm really looking forward to slowly getting back on track as I emerge into mama-hood smile.gif  

Blessings!

Congratulations on your twins!!  Your girls are going to be LIBRAS!!!  joy.gif  Hooray!  I am one, therefore partial.  Haha.  As we Libras love balance I wonder if the girlies will balance each other out with their personalities or how that will work.  How very, very exciting!  

 

I agree with Maia, you should just let go of the idea that you will ever get back on track - you'll just be on a new, wild, beautiful, different track.   Not that you don't know that, I'm sure you do.  I just had a hard time with it when I had Z and wish someone had said something along those lines to me.  I kept thinking just a few more weeks and I can get back to being me again.  Now I feel like that was another life.  Like I transitioned through to another world.  Does that make sense to anyone?  Like the Maiden to Mother transition?  

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Thanks for the book recommendations. Some days are harder than others.

 

We are having a super chillax Mabon, because we need to spend most of our time working on the house. The kids are going to come over to plant bulbs. We have our altar decorated with the apple dolls we made and seasonal items like pumpkins and stuff. I've been reading the kids The Autumn Equinox: Celebrating the Harvest Season with the kids this month. I'd hoped to do more; hopefully next year when we aren't moving.

 

It's nice to see new faces! Congratulations on the twins! I myself am a twin (but fraternal). I hope you find some community. I find as a Pagan parent, that can be really hard. A lot of groups are just not kid friendly, and then Paganism is such a diverse branch of religion that sometimes it's hard to find a good fit. BTW, I've been eyeing the Gaian tarot for a while, but I don't have extra money for things like that right now.

heartbeat.gif  Sometimes I just wish we could teleport to each other for a minute to give hugs.  

 

Your altar sounds great, revolting.  Mine looks like fall only because all of the flowers I added at Lammas have wilted.  Seriously.  I've been so busy harvesting and freezing in my spare time I haven't taken a moment to stop and thank the Earth for all these blessings.  I guess it's good Mabon is here.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Isn't it so cool that Paganism is growing enough that you can actually ask a question like "Were you all raised Pagan"?

 

Pagan parenting-- as I said, my ds is 11, but when he was a little-little, I had to create kid-friendly Pagan stuff my ownself. It was really cool, actually. I think I started out with meetup.com maybe-- or also, there are public rituals here that have been going on for quite some time, and I put myself out there to help/help create kids' areas. When rituals took place outside, I had a kid table with coloring pages-- easy to find Pagan ones to print out! and a craft or two.
I think one year I collected baby food jars, and you can decorate those with glue and glitter, and holiday themed stickers. Coat with glue (dries clear) so the stickers stay on, and tie a pretty raffia ribbon around the top, and voila! Instant votive holder.

If I remember any more, I'll let you know orngbiggrin.gif

 

I'm sick as heck. I thought it was bronchitis. It WAS in my chest. It still is, but not so much-- now it's in my face. I sneezed six times in a row yesterday! Ugh. I hope I'm not contagious for the ritual tomorrow. Oh-- and we're still battling lice greensad.gif They SUCK. I have to say, though, having been infested with fleas in my past, and cockroaches, lice are comparatively not-so-bad. At least they don't jump, AND they stay localized to the head, which makes managing them really easy. I just wish they'd go away, though.

I hope you feel better, Maia!  Please continue to share your kid-friendly pagan ideas!  How's M, by the way?   

 

For our Mabon feast I'm going to make a big pot of soup with veggies from the garden and some bread.  I'm actually going to TRY to make sunflower bread with seeds from our garden, I HOPE. I'm hoping I am down for hulling that many seeds!  Lots to be thankful for this year and I think Z will understand the idea of "thankful" when we talk about it at dinner.   


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#36 of 48 Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM
 
siddal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, my little house is for sale, really cheap, if you want to move here winky.gif Here is the link and there's a nifty photo gallery, too http://westchapel.info/index.html

 

I had my boy at 41yo, too! How cool is that? His father was 46 at the time. He is since deceased-- don't worry, it's probably a good thing; we had a very, very ugly divorce and separation, and were likely breaking up when I got pregnant, so it's all good. It's been rough being a single mama, but it's pretty much all I've ever known, so I'm used to it.

 

Baking chicken right now-- I am still sick so I really need to rest, but I want to get on that frittata soon!

 

At least you don't have to deal with the circumcision dilemma, huh?

 

Your house is great!  Looks like you have a nice plot of land, too!  

 

It's good to know there are some other moms in their 40's on the board.  Most of my friends who have kids had them 10-15 years ago, and even though they are very supportive and happy for me, I have kind of felt out of synch, if that makes sense.

 

Hope you feel better soon!

 

 

Quote:

Congratulations on your twins!!  Your girls are going to be LIBRAS!!!  joy.gif  Hooray!  I am one, therefore partial.  Haha.  As we Libras love balance I wonder if the girlies will balance each other out with their personalities or how that will work.  How very, very exciting!  

 

I agree with Maia, you should just let go of the idea that you will ever get back on track - you'll just be on a new, wild, beautiful, different track.   Not that you don't know that, I'm sure you do.  I just had a hard time with it when I had Z and wish someone had said something along those lines to me.  I kept thinking just a few more weeks and I can get back to being me again.  Now I feel like that was another life.  Like I transitioned through to another world.  Does that make sense to anyone?  Like the Maiden to Mother transition?  

 

Thanks! I'm very excited about them being Libras smile.gif   My husband's b-day is Oct. 11 (our anniversary is the 4th so this is a big month for us!), and we get on really well together.  Sometimes his indecisiveness can drive me a bit mental, and we can both be very stubborn (I'm a Taurus), but I love his sense of balance and kindness, and how he helps me see the "big picture."  It will definitely be interesting to see how the girls manifest their Libra-ness.

 

Transitioning through to another world makes total sense, and I am sure you and Maiasaura are very right.  It's going to be a whole other track!  I love that more and more women are being honest about that and sharing their experiences these days.  It helped me a lot, during the early stages of pregnancy, to be able to talk to one of my former co-workers about it all.  Unlike my mom and other people in my family who had some very rose-colored glasses comments about motherhood, my friend J. was very honest about admitting that she had a rough time, post-partum, mourning her "old" self and transitioning into the new.  And it made me feel better, to sort of know what to expect.  I think I'm still a bit scared, though, of what that new track will be like, and I guess sometimes still in denial.  But..also excited smile.gif  I'm looking forwarded to the adorable moments when they are tiny, and also the great things we can share when they are older.  I went to Womongathering 7 years ago and loved seeing all of the different ages in attendance.  So much fun.


Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
siddal is offline  
#37 of 48 Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddal View PostYour house is great!  Looks like you have a nice plot of land, too!  

 

It's good to know there are some other moms in their 40's on the board.  Most of my friends who have kids had them 10-15 years ago, and even though they are very supportive and happy for me, I have kind of felt out of synch, if that makes sense.

 

Transitioning through to another world makes total sense, and I am sure you and Maiasaura are very right.  It's going to be a whole other track!  I love that more and more women are being honest about that and sharing their experiences these days.  It helped me a lot, during the early stages of pregnancy, to be able to talk to one of my former co-workers about it all.  Unlike my mom and other people in my family who had some very rose-colored glasses comments about motherhood, my friend J. was very honest about admitting that she had a rough time, post-partum, mourning her "old" self and transitioning into the new.  And it made me feel better, to sort of know what to expect.  I think I'm still a bit scared, though, of what that new track will be like, and I guess sometimes still in denial.  But..also excited smile.gif 


Thanks, about the house! Actually that lot beside isn't mine. It belongs to the former owner; he had both lots. I do have a nice little corner that I have let overgrow, though (my whole lot is 0.22/acre and with the other lot it's nearly half an acre). There's lots of gardening room, and there's already a mulberry, an ornamental Japanese plum, and two pears. Rosemary, lemon balm, lavender. Tons of mint. And room for whatever else. Oh, and the owner of that lot is willing to let it go, if whoever buys my house wants it too.

Well, most of my "mommy friends" (those who have kids my son's age) are about 34...and I'm about to turn 53 shrug.gif Whatever. I'm a very young  almost-53 lol.gif

 

Hmm....yeah...start practicing acceptance NOW that your world, post-partum, will never, EVER be the same again. Ever. Don't expect it to. You'll be setting up future resentments, and you so don't want to resent your babies!

 

Will you be nursing them? Here is your new world: Nurse, sleep, do laundry, maybe eat (almost never warm food anymore), rinse, repeat. For the next, oh...four years. BUT-- and this is huge-- you know how people always say "sleep when the baby(s) sleep"? Well- DO IT. I listened to that advice and I wasn't drug-tired all the time like I see other new mamas. With new babies, you learn a whole awful lot about Be Here Now. Being a new mama is very twilight zone, but if you just do your best to stay in the moment and not wish you were elsewhere, and sleep when they sleep, you'll do fine, I do believe.

Oh, and nursing isn't always all that easy to establish-- but be persistent. It's painful, at first, and weird, and there are LOTS of times you want to cave and give formula, but if you stay committed and get a support system (LLL, people on here, whoever's committed), you'll do fine. Really.

 

I mean-- it's amazing, motherhood-- but it's hard, and it's very, very wet. It's always gross-- body fluids, y'know, all the time and all over you and everything else-- but since they come from your kids,  you will be in love with the body fluids and think they're the most amazing things ever produced lol.gif And you can't believe how much you will talk about poop. All.The.Time.
Here's a secret-- breastfed poop does not smell bad. It almost smells good. It almost-- mind you, I said almost-- smells edible. Yeah, gross, I know, but you'll see.

 

How's that for honest? Oh, and terrible twos-- not even. Wait till three. Three is a NIGHTMARE. Then it levels off.

 

Here. Go to the library. Look up Louise Bates Ames. Read. She rocks!


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#38 of 48 Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
 
revolting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 

What are the Revels? Sounds interesting.

 

Welcome! No ideas about Mabon...my 11yo ds is so not interested anymore. I go to public rituals here, and he doesn't participate. But it's his path, and I know if I force him, I'll be raising a fundie faster than you can shake a stick at disappointed.gif

 

 

 

 

Happy b'day to your DH! That cake looks good. It links to Paleo banana bread, which I might try.

 

 

 

Welcome! You are nearish to me. I'm in Asheville, NC. I prefer the term "Goddess's girdle" to "Bible belt" winky.giflol.gif Sounds like you'd really fit in well, here in Asheville. It's crunch-central. It was rated #1 veg-friendly city even over SanFran last year!

 

Oh, parenthood--- you will never be back on track lol.gif You have to find a new track!


Congrats on your impending parenthood! Boy, the gods are giving you an immersion course, eh? What with twins? What does mono/di mean?

 

Mmm...butternut squash. I have been uber low carb for awhile now-- no starch no sweeteners. I miss butternut squash. Might try a teensy bite this Mabon, if anyone brings any to the potluck. I am bringing some sort of frittata. Eggs (natch!), maybe asparagus, artichoke hearts, tomatoes. Maybe a meat, not sure.

 

Were you healthy enough to go to your public ritual? How was it? Your home looks super cute, and it looks like so much space for just the two of you!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

wave.gif  WELCOME SkyMomma and siddal!  wave.gif  Always glad to have new mamas in the mix!

 

  I love that your family has a big Mabon camping trip.  That sounds really, really fun.   Do you all live near each other?  Can you share the version of the Persephone story that you use?  Your blog looks really cool and I will definitely have to check it out later.  Your family has STUNNING blue eyes.  holy moly!

 

Happy Birthday to your DH!  I sometimes wish I had a fireplace in my house for rituals and relaxation.  Alas, I use the "yule log" DVD during the holidays.  Just not the same smell, though.  It does have the sound of crackling though! haha! 

 

heartbeat.gif  Sometimes I just wish we could teleport to each other for a minute to give hugs.  

 

Your altar sounds great, revolting.  Mine looks like fall only because all of the flowers I added at Lammas have wilted.  Seriously.  I've been so busy harvesting and freezing in my spare time I haven't taken a moment to stop and thank the Earth for all these blessings.  I guess it's good Mabon is here.  

 

I hope you feel better, Maia!  Please continue to share your kid-friendly pagan ideas!  How's M, by the way?   

 

For our Mabon feast I'm going to make a big pot of soup with veggies from the garden and some bread.  I'm actually going to TRY to make sunflower bread with seeds from our garden, I HOPE. I'm hoping I am down for hulling that many seeds!  Lots to be thankful for this year and I think Z will understand the idea of "thankful" when we talk about it at dinner.   

 

I'm so freaking excited about having a fireplace in our new home. Does anyone know anything about inserts to improve the efficiency? I was hoping to have a fire in it for Mabon, but it didn't happen. I so wish I was busy harvesting...maybe next year. I'm really looking forward to planning my gardening and landscaping this winter. Anyone have recommendations about gardening with low light? LOL.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddal View Post

 

Your house is great!  Looks like you have a nice plot of land, too!  

 

It's good to know there are some other moms in their 40's on the board.  Most of my friends who have kids had them 10-15 years ago, and even though they are very supportive and happy for me, I have kind of felt out of synch, if that makes sense.

 

 

I had my first when I was young-ish, and I felt out of sync for a long time, but I've found that as my kids get older, the differences get less pronounced. On getting back on track with the religious stuff, I wonder if you've seen this? http://paganfamilies.com/2012/07/seven-spiritual-habits-to-set-during-pregnancy/

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

How's that for honest? Oh, and terrible twos-- not even. Wait till three. Three is a NIGHTMARE. Then it levels off.

 

Here. Go to the library. Look up Louise Bates Ames. Read. She rocks!

Maia, don't remind me. I have a 2.5 year old, and I'm in denial that we're about to go through THAT again.

 

In the TMI department: I started my period yesterday, so that means my partner and I are ready to get back to TTC. He'll be gone a lot the next month and a half, so I'm not counting on a quick BFP, but any prayers, fertility magic, etc.. you all have for me, I'd much appreciate.


Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

revolting is offline  
#39 of 48 Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 AM
 
SkyMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  It's been a wonderful Equinox weekend, with spectacular early New England Fall weather to keep all our celebrations easy & sunlit/moonlit.  To answer a few questions from last week (sorry, I didn't touch my computer for 4 days :):

 

I was raised pagan, so my children have the blessing & challenge of being 3rd generation pagan.  However, my sisters (actually half sisters) were raised Christian (Congregationalist).  My mother (pagan) and father (christian) divorced when I was very young.  My mother raised me & my two brothers pagan, in the jazz musician world, and made her money reading Tarot cards & making incense & amulets.  My father, after very wild hippy kind of teenage years, went back to his more conservative roots & became a deacon in the Congregationalist church, where I spent every other Sunday.  He re-married & had my two beloved half-sister.   At times I know my influence over my sisters made my father (& my step-mother) a little uncomfortable, but I feel lucky to have had exposure to many different spiritual paths & teachers, and I know my sisters feel the same.   They have forged their own spiritual paths, with one exploring a path closer to Christian Mysticism, and the other more strongly pulled by Pagan/Wiccan traditions, but both celebrate the wheel of the year.   That's it!  My family's spiritual history in a nutshell.

 

vydalea - Thanks for the complement on my family's eyes!  I actually have dark brown/ hazel, as does my youngest, But both my sisters & my oldest son have my dad's amazing blue eyes.  (My DH has hazel too, so my DS1 is truely a study in recessive genes).   One of my sister's lives next door (YAY), but the other lives about 4 hours drive away.  When we camp, we usually meet somewhere in the middle :). 

 

About the Revels, here's their website http://www.revels.org .  They are essential a chorus that celebrates the seasons in a 'traditional' way.  You may be familiar with the Christmas Revels, but they also have celebrations of the summer solstice, autumnal equinox & May Day.   They are an interesting mix of Pagan/early Christian & particularly their "Christmas Revels" are a study in the transition between pagan traditions & christian influence in the Celtic world. 

 

Blessed be!  Hope your weekend was wonderful!


Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

 

SkyMomma is offline  
#40 of 48 Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolting View PostWere you healthy enough to go to your public ritual? How was it? Your home looks super cute, and it looks like so much space for just the two of you!

 

Maia, don't remind me. I have a 2.5 year old, and I'm in denial that we're about to go through THAT again.

 

 

lol.gif I'm tellin' ya-- Louise Bates Ames. Go get "Your Three Year Old" at the library. Her volumes are so small, if you had a whole hour you could knock one out in that time. You will be glad you did. That book-- that very one, the 3yo one-- saved.my.sanity.

 

Yes, I went to the ritual, and I was the sweeper-outer of the circle in the beginning. It was great! Thanks for asking. Our house is 1196sf. It's just the right size-- I sure wish someone would buy it, though. Or even look. The $3K reduction has brought NO lookers thus far greensad.gif

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyMomma View PostI was raised pagan, so my children have the blessing & challenge of being 3rd generation pagan. 


 

About the Revels, here's their website http://www.revels.org .  They are essential a chorus that celebrates the seasons in a 'traditional' way.  You may be familiar with the Christmas Revels, but they also have celebrations of the summer solstice, autumnal equinox & May Day.   They are an interesting mix of Pagan/early Christian & particularly their "Christmas Revels" are a study in the transition between pagan traditions & christian influence in the Celtic world.

 

That is so freaking cool that we now have third generation Pagans! Wow. Your family dynamic sounds really super neat.

 

And omg, I am so going to check out that band. I am fascinated by Celtic Christianity, too. I love Loreena McKennitt because she crosses over between Paganism and Christianity, too.


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#41 of 48 Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
 
siddal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I had my first when I was young-ish, and I felt out of sync for a long time, but I've found that as my kids get older, the differences get less pronounced. On getting back on track with the religious stuff, I wonder if you've seen this? http://paganfamilies.com/2012/07/seven-spiritual-habits-to-set-during-pregnancy/

 revolting, thank you!  Those are wonderful suggestions. smile.gif


Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
siddal is offline  
#42 of 48 Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
 
siddal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

FYI, just saw on FB that SageWoman has a sale on one of its early issues this week, which contains articles on what makes a home, including Anne Newkirk Niven's essay on raising small children "Our Pagan Home."  Just thought I would pass the info. on in case anyone is interested.


Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
siddal is offline  
#43 of 48 Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
revolting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMomma View Post

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  It's been a wonderful Equinox weekend, with spectacular early New England Fall weather to keep all our celebrations easy & sunlit/moonlit.  To answer a few questions from last week (sorry, I didn't touch my computer for 4 days :):

 

I was raised pagan, so my children have the blessing & challenge of being 3rd generation pagan.  However, my sisters (actually half sisters) were raised Christian (Congregationalist).  My mother (pagan) and father (christian) divorced when I was very young.  My mother raised me & my two brothers pagan, in the jazz musician world, and made her money reading Tarot cards & making incense & amulets.  My father, after very wild hippy kind of teenage years, went back to his more conservative roots & became a deacon in the Congregationalist church, where I spent every other Sunday.  He re-married & had my two beloved half-sister.   At times I know my influence over my sisters made my father (& my step-mother) a little uncomfortable, but I feel lucky to have had exposure to many different spiritual paths & teachers, and I know my sisters feel the same.   They have forged their own spiritual paths, with one exploring a path closer to Christian Mysticism, and the other more strongly pulled by Pagan/Wiccan traditions, but both celebrate the wheel of the year.   That's it!  My family's spiritual history in a nutshell.

 

vydalea - Thanks for the complement on my family's eyes!  I actually have dark brown/ hazel, as does my youngest, But both my sisters & my oldest son have my dad's amazing blue eyes.  (My DH has hazel too, so my DS1 is truely a study in recessive genes).   One of my sister's lives next door (YAY), but the other lives about 4 hours drive away.  When we camp, we usually meet somewhere in the middle :). 

 

About the Revels, here's their website http://www.revels.org .  They are essential a chorus that celebrates the seasons in a 'traditional' way.  You may be familiar with the Christmas Revels, but they also have celebrations of the summer solstice, autumnal equinox & May Day.   They are an interesting mix of Pagan/early Christian & particularly their "Christmas Revels" are a study in the transition between pagan traditions & christian influence in the Celtic world. 

 

Blessed be!  Hope your weekend was wonderful!

Sky - I love to hear adult children with parents of different faiths talk positively of the experience. I definitely get nervous about the whole thing, sometimes. And what a neat history you have.

 

Maia - I hope you get some movement on the house soon. The market is just brutal for sellers right now.

 

Well, I'm off to make pumpkin bars...http://joythebaker.com/2008/10/pumpkin-pie-bars/ yummy.gif


Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

revolting is offline  
#44 of 48 Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 AM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The market ISN'T brutal for sellers in my area, that's the dang rub! Existing home sales went UP by like 31% or 33% over the last year. I just lowered the price by $3K and still have had no lookers at all greensad.gif but it's only been a week and a half. I'm just so weary of hoping, y'know? But I can't give up. I can't. The Universe will hear me and maybe believe that I shouldn't sell it. Which is NOT at all what I want.

 

I have started to try to set up a small, daily spiritual practice. My friend here, who writes a wonderful blog (google Asheville Village Witch and see if you can find it), suggested that even if you have to have a "stealth altar" (LOVE that! lol!) you can just have a flower in water, some incense, a rock, and a candle, for the elementals, and just sit and breathe with your cup of coffee or tea while you contemplate it.

Daily grounding...I am trying to work on that, too.


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#45 of 48 Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
revolting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like Star Foster on daily practice: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/pantheon/2012/06/slacker-paganism/


Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

revolting is offline  
#46 of 48 Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

I like Star Foster on daily practice: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/pantheon/2012/06/slacker-paganism/

 

That is a fantastic article. Too bad you can't leave comments! I wonder what s/he uses for hir daily prayers. And ritual.

 

Our local Asheville Village Witch (Byron Ballard) http://myvillagewitch.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/daily-practice-as-samhain-approaches/ I love the part about the stealth altar. And the simple way to start your practice (look at the candle, breathe, that's all).


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#47 of 48 Old 09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 

That is a fantastic article. Too bad you can't leave comments! I wonder what s/he uses for hir daily prayers. And ritual.

 

Our local Asheville Village Witch (Byron Ballard) http://myvillagewitch.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/daily-practice-as-samhain-approaches/ I love the part about the stealth altar. And the simple way to start your practice (look at the candle, breathe, that's all).

 

Oh. I see I've posted about her already bag.gif


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#48 of 48 Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
 
DaughterOfKali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 12,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DaughterOfKali is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off