How do you celebrate the Harvest Moon? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6yo has always been drawn to the moon.  I've always wanted to come up with some sort of full moon ritual to do with her, but have never gotten around to it.  Today my husband said he wants to do something to celebrate the Harvest Moon (whoot!) but I need some ideas.  So far all we have is going out to watch her rise and take blankets and some apple cider with us.  I'd love to make it more spiritual.  I'd love to hear what you all do to honor the Full Moon generally and the Harvest Moon specifically.  Also, if you have any suggestions for books, songs, music, about the moon, it's power, related spirituality, I'd appreciate these too.  

treehugger.gif
#2 of 5 Old 09-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We use a lot of the ideas from this site:

http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/celauteq.html

And our favorite cider is "Mabon Moon Cider":  http://www.food.com/recipe/mabon-moon-cider-191003

With the kids, we treat it like a would-be Thanksgiving--focusing on our gratitude; but we also do a lot of preserving and so we involve the kids more with preserving food around this time.  

Hope this helps!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Argh! I had a long post written but the computer lost it. Anyway, we luckily live in an area that has a community event of drumming and fire spinning near a lake where we watch the moon rise half the year. During the rest of the year, we do something similar to you: go out for a picnic with some warm cider and cake or cookies. I do have a playlist I sometimes play for the full moons and new moons. It includes songs like "Calling the Moon" by Dar Williams; "Our Next Door Neighbor the Moon" by Tom Chapin; "Catch the Moon" by Elizabeth Mitchell; and "Last Night the Moon Was Full" by Justin Roberts. We read a book about the moon too. Some of the books we've read are Possum's Harvest Moon; Hello Harvest Moon; The Moon Seems to Change; Goodnight Moon; Kitten's First Full Moon; and Goose Moon.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Wanted to share this image I took of our beloved harvest sister moon this weekend. I submitted it for a local photography contest and hope it win because the prize will feed my family for 3 weeks at least.

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#5 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM

That's a beautiful picture of the moon, goodluck to you in wining the contest.

We did a nice family hike and said something we were grateful for at dinner table.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page