October Cozy Pagan Chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 96 Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View PostJoining in - I've spent the past couple of months really thinking about what I believe and realized that I'm Pagan!

I want my family to celebrate the seasons and the power of Nature so we're going to celebrate Samhain this year! I'm planning on cooking a whole chicken I have in the freezer and cooking seasonal veggies - a feast! As far as the spiritual side...not sure. I was thinking about honoring the dead and setting a place for them but I don't want our first Pagan holiday to be too morbid. Any ideas? What does your family do? This is my first year in San Diego after living all my life in Seattle and it doesn't feel like Fall at all. Thanks!!

Nom nom roasted chicken yummy.gif We're coming to your house!

Welcome and mm, Kaydove! I don't think it's morbid at all-- I think it's sacred and holy and really neat. That said, we don't do anything together anymore, really. We're a family of two-- 11y8m ds and me. When he was little, we did a lot more, but he's not remotely interested in Doing Stuff anymore, and I don't push it. He will find his way in spite of or because of me and I don't want a fundie evangelical, so I let him be lol.gif

But, one of the things we used to do, and still do, is visit cemeteries. There's always one really cool one in every town, and we go to the big one here. Last year, I took pix and he and his best gf played amongst the gravestones, and I hung with her mom (MY best gf).

I do try to have dinner that involves the favorite foods of our beloved dead (but not a dumb supper), and it always turns out really weird and eclectic. My son's father and my father both loved peanut butter, so we have that. My aunt-- I don't know what her favorite food was, but my mom always complained that she had "minced salad, even for breakfast!" so we have that (she was American Jewish, but married a Yemenite, and there was always hummus and baklava and amazing things that he made). My son's father loved beans and rice. My own dad loved peanuts and mixed nuts. We'll have those raw, because roasted ones are like food crack to me and I will overindulge if they're around.
I should look up Mayflower foods-- William Bradford is my ancestor. I wonder that they ate anything at all, landing in MA in the off-season ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post Well, I don't actually call myself Pagan - I say "spiritually eclectic" or that I have never left my first UUlike upbringing and that it is a big enough spiritual umbrella to accommodate a couple of decades of a side adventure in raising my children in Catholicism.

I am almost constitutionally incapable of wanting to impose my beliefs on other people and incapable of believing that there is any one right way to do anything.  I don't actually have any strict spiritual beliefs or values that I need my children to hold, except tolerance for the beliefs of others. I am grateful to live in a time and place and in a community where I have the freedom to live and believe as I choose. It is not something I take for granted and one of the few things I would fight to protect if I had to.

That is so cool about your Bonding marriage vows, Aubergine. And your views are amazing. Your children are going to grow up SO COOL. They're really lucky to have a mom like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostHey, Mamas!!  My teeth are feeling so much better, thank you for asking.  I'm down to just taking OTC pain killers and anitbiotics (to fight bacterial infection) along with salty rinses so life is getting much easier to bare, you know pain wise/food eating wise.  I ate baba ghanouj last night with pita.  Of course, i ripped the pita into pieces the size of my thumbnail but it was NOT yogurt, soup or applesauce so I was in heaven!!  yummy.gif

I am so, so happy in my heart when I read this!!  heartbeat.gif  Way to go, M!  Sending him lots of strength, you too, of course!! 

So, yesterday was the big b-day!  It was low key and fun.  My sissy poo, BIL and my DH are headed out for some celebrating this Saturday.  Watch out world, I think I'm gonna eat a SANDWICH!  haha.  

Happy birthday! birthday.gif Do you not normally eat sandwiches? Did I know this? M is so grateful for your support and good vibes. He's got almost 50 days now! Deliberately! Now he needs a sponsor and to really work the steps, and he knows it, but one thing at a time. He also needs a job, so any good job vibes would be appreciated.

Your post about the baba ganoush and pita cracked me up. Reminded me of when I got my wisdoms out, and I was eating pizza by Day Two, but the same way as you-- tiny little pieces, like little pizza pills! biglaugh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostIBut for Samhain night? I have little kids: they just go trick-or-treating. This year, I've thought about trying to spend a little time after ToTing with my eldest to do some divination, but we'll see: she might be too amped up on sugar or exhausted.

What does everyone else have planned for this weekend? How are your preparations for Samhain going?

I am not one of those Pagans who is rigid about which day we celebrate anything. So we've always had our Samhain celebration on the day before, or the day after, Halloween. Usually before, because Halloween and its focus on candy goes long past the first night of it.

This weekend-- our babysitter is getting married! She's 22. She babysat my son from the time he was two, and she was his age now! bigeyes.gif until he was nine. It's an hour and a half drive to SC, where the wedding is, and it's very likely a Baptist wedding (I am surely expecting altar calls, yep, even during a wedding eyesroll.gif) but we've known her for ds's whole life, far as he's concerned. It'll be fun.

Then, Sunday, there's a Osun thingy at the river here. The French Broad River is one of the oldest on the planet. I want to go, but we might be wiped out from the wedding (we're both introverts, and, while we're very outgoing, social functions wipes.us.out.).

Also, check this out, this is my post to Facebook:

Realtor called. She knows another realtor with a client that is moving to my area. She is getting a job in the mall, a 5m drive from this house. She is looking for a 3/1 under $140K. There's plenty available, and that's what I have-- but her caveat is she has to be in by 10/31. Of THIS year! 19 days from now!
That would be hella fast to move, but I'm about the only person that my realtor knows of who might have that timeline available.
We'd move in town somewhere-- the client is out of town for a couple days, but might look as early as Monday! Oh, hope! ♥

So, I'll be crisis-cleaning for that orngbiggrin.gif It won't be a lot, since I've been rather keeping up with it, but there's vacuuming and floors in the kitchen and bath, and such. And magick thumb.gif Please light candles for us! I will post when the showing is, so if y'all are inclined, y'all can direct energy our way!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 96 Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Hey, Mamas!!  My teeth are feeling so much better, thank you for asking.  I'm down to just taking OTC pain killers and anitbiotics (to fight bacterial infection) along with salty rinses so life is getting much easier to bare, you know pain wise/food eating wise.  I ate baba ghanouj last night with pita.  Of course, i ripped the pita into pieces the size of my thumbnail but it was NOT yogurt, soup or applesauce so I was in heaven!!  yummy.gif

Did SIL end up coming over?  When I am in similar situations (house is slightly more disastrous than normal mess levels) I just say The house is a mess since child raising in progress!  Or something along those lines.  I saw it on pinterest once and thought, OH YEAH I'm using that.  thumb.gif

I am so, so happy in my heart when I read this!!  heartbeat.gif  Way to go, M!  Sending him lots of strength, you too, of course!! 

Hey Kaydove!!  Welcome!!  Last year DH and I just spoke about the people that we've lost - talking about what we remember about them, times that made us laugh.  And we lit a special candle on the table that night.  

How beautifully articulated, Aubergine!  I appreciate that you are exposing your children to other beliefs.  How are you going about that?  I'd like to do the same thing with Zoey but I am always nervous about possibly offending people in their places of worship with my lack of information.  If that makes any sense... for example, what I wear (do I need to have a head covering or my shoulders covered).  I suppose I should just go out and get me some BIG GIRL PANTIES and ask questions before I attend... 

You know how it goes, things change but the falling out was really volatile and full of toxicity.  I kept the email to remind me why I had ended the friendship... but when I came across it yesterday I thought, that's dumb.  Why keep such a negative thing in my peace?  So I took it outside to burn it in the yard.  Nerd alert: I was careful not to get the ashes in my garden because I didn't want my veggies to grow in negativity next year.  Not 8 hours later she pops up on my facebook!  ISN'T THAT WILD?!!  She has had me blocked for 2 years where I haven't been able to even know she exists on facebook (which has been good and I harbor no ill feelings for her, just sadness that she is so unhappy) and the day I burn the email there she is... any insight??  I'm going to try to cross post this in the TM thread as I have a bunch of "let go" and "let it be" stuff on there... 

Yes, that IS wild.  Sometimes magick works that way.  I wonder if you felt the shift in her attitude when you found and burnt the paper or if she felt the shift when *you* did that somehow.  

I really do believe that we remain connected spiritually to people we used to be close to, through the Akashic records or the Force or karmic connection or whatever you want to call it.  I recently googled the name of an old bf out of the blue - hadn't seen him in decades, hadn't really thought of him in years.  That same day - hours earlier -  an obituary of his mother had been posted online.  I believe I felt the shift when she passed, maybe through his emotions.  I sent a card to the family - it felt good to be able to send condolences and share a memory or two that way.  I hope it helped to know someone was thinking of them. 

I don't think one necessarily has to attend religious ceremonies in places of worship to get a sense of what a culture believes.  We try to read about other cultures, attend cultural festivals, talk to people who've traveled or who come from other backgrounds, etc.   My children's first babysitters were from a Muslim country.  Their guitar teacher is from the Caribbean.....there are opportunities!   I commemorate some holidays that are fun for children with my own sometimes - Chinese New Year and Hanukah, especially.  Honestly, my younger kids find church boring still, and I wouldn't want to inflict them upon another congregation where there is no sense of community for them - they aren't really ready for that.  And I'd probably be shy of attending a church of a different faith cold, too! Sometimes it comes up that we attend an ecumenical service or a wedding or a funeral service held in the rites of a different faith. Something like that is a great opportunity to discuss the different ways people do things and the reasoning behind that.  Visiting different historic places of worship as  tourist attractions is also a great opportunity.  We have a local historical park where some heritage buildings have been moved or replicated to show our community the way it was in pioneer times. There are several former houses of worship there - a synagogue and a mosque and early Catholic and Protestant churches that are open to the public to view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Nom nom roasted chicken yummy.gif We're coming to your house!

Welcome and mm, Kaydove! I don't think it's morbid at all-- I think it's sacred and holy and really neat. That said, we don't do anything together anymore, really. We're a family of two-- 11y8m ds and me. When he was little, we did a lot more, but he's not remotely interested in Doing Stuff anymore, and I don't push it. He will find his way in spite of or because of me and I don't want a fundie evangelical, so I let him be lol.gif

But, one of the things we used to do, and still do, is visit cemeteries. There's always one really cool one in every town, and we go to the big one here. Last year, I took pix and he and his best gf played amongst the gravestones, and I hung with her mom (MY best gf).

I do try to have dinner that involves the favorite foods of our beloved dead (but not a dumb supper), and it always turns out really weird and eclectic.

And magick thumb.gif Please light candles for us! I will post when the showing is, so if y'all are inclined, y'all can direct energy our way!

Thanks for the kind words, Maia - thinking good thoughts for M - I'm pleased he's doing so well.  Will be watching for your house showing news.....I love the idea of having a meal consisting of favourite foods of ancestors and the beloved dead.  I have a family reunion cookbook I can start with, actually, though a meal of raisin toast, corn relish, homemade spaghetti sauce and peach cobbler, to honor my dad, does have a certain appeal.  Sorta carby, though.  

#33 of 96 Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Maia - love the idea of favourite foods of family members who have passed on! Thanks for the idea! I'll light a candle for your house showing and send encouraging thoughts your way. 

Aubergine - My step daughter was raised Pagan by her mother's family and she finds a lot of comfort in Catholic symbols - the saints and rosaries. I thought that was interesting. I don't think she's ever been to a Catholic service. 

Vydalea - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Have a lovely day! So glad to hear that you're healing well. Definitely weird coincidence with your friend, and I agree with Aubergine, that we're still connected to people we were close with. 

Revolting - Packing sucks! We're still getting settled from our move in January! Our garage is full of stuff that I need to go through. I totally understand not finding stuff. I'm interested to hear more about divination with your eldest. I do understand your concerns about moving to WASPish neighbourhood. San Diego is much more conservative than Seattle (I grew up in Seattle) with a lot more Christian and Catholic presence, which is fine, but we do get tons of fliers for churches left on our door step. I get bristly when people proselytize. I worry that DD will be invited to a lot of church camps and retreats when she's in school and since I grew up going to those and know that there's a lot of altar calls, which I am NOT comfortable with at all. I'm completely fine and encourage DD to learn about other religions but I do not think its appropriate for children to be altar called or converted. I grew non denominational Christian, much like the mega churches that are famous on the west coast. I'm also expecting there to be a fight with my mom about trying to get DD to 'ask Jesus into her heart' which is NOT okay with DH and I. Thank goodness she still lives in Seattle and there's distance. 

Witchgrrl - How's the teaching part of the interview go for your DH?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I got some great ideas for Samhain! My step daughter and I are going to go Day of the Dead festival during the day on the 1st and then we'll have our feast that night with DH. We're going to build a fire, set an extra place at the table, maybe sacrifice a wee bit of the food as a thankful for the harvest, and light candles for family and friends who've passed on. I'll direct it towards remembering the good stuff about the people, and that we believe in reincarnation. I do expect some tears, which will be cathartic. I'm getting excited about it! We might recognize the Wicca new year aspect and do a little bit of starting a new leaf. My DH and and step daughter's relationship is kinda rocky but getting better. They don't communicate well, personality issue. I'm thinking, if they're open to it, we can all write down on a piece of paper, things they want to leave behind in past and then burn it in the fire. Vydalea's burning the email gave me the inspiration. :)

Next weekend is our 5 year wedding anniversary! We're going to go on a date! Big deal since we have a 7 month old. 

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#34 of 96 Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostThanks for the kind words, Maia - thinking good thoughts for M - I'm pleased he's doing so well.  Will be watching for your house showing news.....I love the idea of having a meal consisting of favourite foods of ancestors and the beloved dead.  I have a family reunion cookbook I can start with, actually, though a meal of raisin toast, corn relish, homemade spaghetti sauce and peach cobbler, to honor my dad, does have a certain appeal.  Sorta carby, though.  

M says thank you! He is so touched that y'all think of him and cheer him on. He really does think the energy y'all send is encouraging.

I dunno, I have always had favorite foods of my beloved dead. I didn't realize most people don't do that! And yeah, it makes for a really weird mix of foods, but that's part of the fun. I usually put a plate at the table for them, and then when we're done, put it outside as an offering.

I don't know that we'll be doing anything this year-- everything hinges on the showing, and hearing from this lady about the house. I'd SO way give up any Samhain in favor of moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View PostMaia - love the idea of favourite foods of family members who have passed on! Thanks for the idea! I'll light a candle for your house showing and send encouraging thoughts your way. 

I'm also expecting there to be a fight with my mom about trying to get DD to 'ask Jesus into her heart' which is NOT okay with DH and I. Thank goodness she still lives in Seattle and there's distance. 

Next weekend is our 5 year wedding anniversary! We're going to go on a date! Big deal since we have a 7 month old. 

Thank you! And thanks about the candle. I could use any extra positive vibes sent my way! I'm in Asheville, NC, if you direct energy smile.gif

I would DIE if my mom wanted to get my ds to "ask Jesus into his heart"-- that would be a deal breaker for family ties, IMO irked.gif It really, REALLY jerks my chain when people try to influence my child. He's MY child, and that's MY job to do. Nobody else's!!! GRRR! Your mom had her chance with you. Now it's your turn. And it's not a reflection on her parenting or religious choices if you choose differently.

Happy anniversary! Dating's easy when your dd is that young lol.gif Wait'll she has an opinion on whether you go out or not!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#35 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 AM

So DH did *not* get the job. We're okay about it. It was going to be a crazy amount of hassle for what could have been a really short period of time. There are other positions that are more defined.The art program he's currently teaching for has asked him to think about more classes to teach, and where DD goes to waldkindergarten has also asked DH to trial some "art in the woods" in the afternoons.

So things are looking fine.

Come ponder with me about food!
#36 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Realtor called. She knows another realtor with a client that is moving to my area. She is getting a job in the mall, a 5m drive from this house. She is looking for a 3/1 under $140K. There's plenty available, and that's what I have-- but her caveat is she has to be in by 10/31. Of THIS year! 19 days from now!
That would be hella fast to move, but I'm about the only person that my realtor knows of who might have that timeline available.
We'd move in town somewhere-- the client is out of town for a couple days, but might look as early as Monday! Oh, hope! ♥

So, I'll be crisis-cleaning for that orngbiggrin.gif It won't be a lot, since I've been rather keeping up with it, but there's vacuuming and floors in the kitchen and bath, and such. And magick thumb.gif Please light candles for us! I will post when the showing is, so if y'all are inclined, y'all can direct energy our way!

I hope she wants your house! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Yes, that IS wild.  Sometimes magick works that way.  I wonder if you felt the shift in her attitude when you found and burnt the paper or if she felt the shift when *you* did that somehow.  

I really do believe that we remain connected spiritually to people we used to be close to, through the Akashic records or the Force or karmic connection or whatever you want to call it.  I recently googled the name of an old bf out of the blue - hadn't seen him in decades, hadn't really thought of him in years.  That same day - hours earlier -  an obituary of his mother had been posted online.  I believe I felt the shift when she passed, maybe through his emotions.  I sent a card to the family - it felt good to be able to send condolences and share a memory or two that way.  I hope it helped to know someone was thinking of them. 

I'm sure it did help. I think with any loss I've had, just to know that others cared, too, really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

Revolting - Packing sucks! We're still getting settled from our move in January! Our garage is full of stuff that I need to go through. I totally understand not finding stuff. I'm interested to hear more about divination with your eldest. I do understand your concerns about moving to WASPish neighbourhood. San Diego is much more conservative than Seattle (I grew up in Seattle) with a lot more Christian and Catholic presence, which is fine, but we do get tons of fliers for churches left on our door step. I get bristly when people proselytize. I worry that DD will be invited to a lot of church camps and retreats when she's in school and since I grew up going to those and know that there's a lot of altar calls, which I am NOT comfortable with at all. I'm completely fine and encourage DD to learn about other religions but I do not think its appropriate for children to be altar called or converted. I grew non denominational Christian, much like the mega churches that are famous on the west coast. I'm also expecting there to be a fight with my mom about trying to get DD to 'ask Jesus into her heart' which is NOT okay with DH and I. Thank goodness she still lives in Seattle and there's distance.

Altar calls? Really? I definitely attended religious camps and the like as a child, and I never, ever have seen an altar call in real life. Happy 5th wedding anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

So DH did *not* get the job. We're okay about it. It was going to be a crazy amount of hassle for what could have been a really short period of time. There are other positions that are more defined.The art program he's currently teaching for has asked him to think about more classes to teach, and where DD goes to waldkindergarten has also asked DH to trial some "art in the woods" in the afternoons.

goodvibes.giffor him to find something!

Blech. Not feeling well. I'm in the tail end of the 2ww, but with the congestion, I suspect I'm just sick and just waiting to start another cycle in a few days.

I tried to see the old moon leave this morning, but unfortunately clouds in the east obstructed a good view of her. Ah, well...now we enter the Blood Moon, which reminds me of one of my favorite poems, The Moon from the Porch by Annie Finch:

Moon has dusks for walls,
Octobers days for a floor,
crickets for rooms, windy halls.
Only one night is her door.

When I was thirteen she found me,
spiraled into my blood like a hive.
I stood on a porch where she wound me
for the first time. My tight and alive

body flooded to find her,
to know I would not be alone
while I moved through tides that don't bind her
into womanhood like a flung stone.

With each waxing curve into fullness
I grew with her, ready, wild;
I filled myself up like her priestess;
I emptied myself like her child.

Flooding, ready, and certain,
I hid her—full, fallow, or frail—
beneath my long summer's rich curtain
which covered her face, the thin grail

that delivers me now. I am with her.
All cast shadows come home.
I stand in these shadows to kiss her;
I spin in her cool, calming storm.

Now as I move through my own beauty
and my shadow goes deeper than blood,
oh triple, oh goddess, sustain me
with your lights simple opening hood.

Blessings, mamas!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#37 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Hi lovely Mamas!!  Hope you all had good weekends.  Thanks for all the birthday wishes!! blowkiss.gif  I had a great time celebrating.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolting View Post

I will continue working on the house. I've been a little disappointed at our skill with some of the stuff, but I'm sure we're get better as we slowly renovate the house. Still, we have reached the point where I can actually see us moving soon. We've also decided to try school for my eldest. She'll start in November, and then we will re-evaluate over the winter holiday about whether we want to continue school or pull her and start homeschooling. Now I just need to get the paperwork together. I definitely worry about the religious exemption letter for vaccines the most. Have any of you written a vax exemption letter as a Pagan? Tomorrow at the nature center near our home, they host a harvest festival. I plan to take the kids to that before I head out to the house. I definitely have started to find more peace in my life as I've gotten to a place where I feel more able to commit: yes, we are moving here; yes, my child will go to school there; etc... And I'm sure I'll feel better once our lives aren't scattered between two homes: I constantly find myself looking for stuff that's already been packed, that's already at the other house, that I tore house apart looking for and I'm just hoping it is already at the other house....

What does everyone else have planned for this weekend? How are your preparations for Samhain going?

How does your eldest feel about heading off to school?  I am SO HAPPY for you are finding more peace in your life, mama.  I cannot imagine how hectic everything has been and glad that it's settling down.  luxlove.gif  Will keep sending lots of good energy your way.

Quote:

I do try to have dinner that involves the favorite foods of our beloved dead (but not a dumb supper), and it always turns out really weird and eclectic. My son's father and my father both loved peanut butter, so we have that. My aunt-- I don't know what her favorite food was, but my mom always complained that she had "minced salad, even for breakfast!" so we have that (she was American Jewish, but married a Yemenite, and there was always hummus and baklava and amazing things that he made). My son's father loved beans and rice. My own dad loved peanuts and mixed nuts. We'll have those raw, because roasted ones are like food crack to me and I will overindulge if they're around.
I should look up Mayflower foods-- William Bradford is my ancestor. I wonder that they ate anything at all, landing in MA in the off-season ROTFLMAO.gif

Happy birthday! birthday.gif Do you not normally eat sandwiches? Did I know this? M is so grateful for your support and good vibes. He's got almost 50 days now! Deliberately! Now he needs a sponsor and to really work the steps, and he knows it, but one thing at a time. He also needs a job, so any good job vibes would be appreciated.

I love the idea of eating favorite foods of our ancestors.  That is super creative!  AND UHM... maybe we actually *are* somehow connected as twins as my GGma's people came over on the MAYFLOWER, ALSO!!  I'll ask my Grandma and see if we know the name... 

I normally do eat sammies, but couldn't due to the wisdom teeth but I am 95% now and had a tasty tuna melt!! ymmm!!  I scarfed it down in record time!  hahaha.  

M at 50 days, your house having the possibility to sell!!  whaaaaat?!  I am seriously sending you energy to complete that transaction!!!!  

Quote:

I don't think one necessarily has to attend religious ceremonies in places of worship to get a sense of what a culture believes.  We try to read about other cultures, attend cultural festivals, talk to people who've traveled or who come from other backgrounds, etc.   My children's first babysitters were from a Muslim country.  Their guitar teacher is from the Caribbean.....there are opportunities!   I commemorate some holidays that are fun for children with my own sometimes - Chinese New Year and Hanukah, especially.  Honestly, my younger kids find church boring still, and I wouldn't want to inflict them upon another congregation where there is no sense of community for them - they aren't really ready for that.  And I'd probably be shy of attending a church of a different faith cold, too! Sometimes it comes up that we attend an ecumenical service or a wedding or a funeral service held in the rites of a different faith. Something like that is a great opportunity to discuss the different ways people do things and the reasoning behind that.  Visiting different historic places of worship as  tourist attractions is also a great opportunity.  We have a local historical park where some heritage buildings have been moved or replicated to show our community the way it was in pioneer times. There are several former houses of worship there - a synagogue and a mosque and early Catholic and Protestant churches that are open to the public to view.

Thanks for the kind words, Maia - thinking good thoughts for M - I'm pleased he's doing so well.  Will be watching for your house showing news.....I love the idea of having a meal consisting of favourite foods of ancestors and the beloved dead.  I have a family reunion cookbook I can start with, actually, though a meal of raisin toast, corn relish, homemade spaghetti sauce and peach cobbler, to honor my dad, does have a certain appeal.  Sorta carby, though.  

Aubergine!  YES YES YES with regard to all of this!  I agree about the spiritual connections that you make with those you are close to... and the energy that goes along with it.  That paper held so much resentment and sadness for me and I truly feel that it is all released.  

Great point about religious ceremonies, etc.  Thank you for sharing different things you do with your children.  They make perfect sense - as Z gets older I will definitely have to seek out more cultural activities.  

Quote:

Vydalea - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Have a lovely day! So glad to hear that you're healing well. Definitely weird coincidence with your friend, and I agree with Aubergine, that we're still connected to people we were close with. 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I got some great ideas for Samhain! My step daughter and I are going to go Day of the Dead festival during the day on the 1st and then we'll have our feast that night with DH. We're going to build a fire, set an extra place at the table, maybe sacrifice a wee bit of the food as a thankful for the harvest, and light candles for family and friends who've passed on. I'll direct it towards remembering the good stuff about the people, and that we believe in reincarnation. I do expect some tears, which will be cathartic. I'm getting excited about it! We might recognize the Wicca new year aspect and do a little bit of starting a new leaf. My DH and and step daughter's relationship is kinda rocky but getting better. They don't communicate well, personality issue. I'm thinking, if they're open to it, we can all write down on a piece of paper, things they want to leave behind in past and then burn it in the fire. Vydalea's burning the email gave me the inspiration. :)

Happy Anniversary!  A DATE?!  Hooray!

I love the idea of burning the things you want to leave behind.  It sounds like you've got some great ideas for what you want to do!  awesome.  I like celebrating Samhain because I love talking about my great grandparents with Z.  I actually knew most of them and I was a little bit older than Z when they passed so the things I remember about them are very child-focused.  I remember my GGBetsey always having jellybeans around and that she loved owls.  Things like that.  I like getting DH talking about what he remembers about his family members.  It's not much but it's fun to hear him share.  

Quote:

I would DIE if my mom wanted to get my ds to "ask Jesus into his heart"-- that would be a deal breaker for family ties, IMO irked.gif It really, REALLY jerks my chain when people try to influence my child. He's MY child, and that's MY job to do. Nobody else's!!! GRRR! Your mom had her chance with you. Now it's your turn. And it's not a reflection on her parenting or religious choices if you choose differently.

agreed.  Kaydove, I hope that you don't have to go through that.  Luckily our parents have all been *mostly* respectful of our spiritual decisions for Z.  PS, what is an altar call?  I grew up in a United Methodist church in Upstate NY.  We just sang a lot, had crazy amounts of potluck dinners and did community service.  There was not a lot of attempt at converting people or evangelical stuff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

OOOh, I hope that the opportunities open for him!  I will think of lots of opening windows and such for you.  It sounds like these said windows will be much easier on the stress levels in life!!!  

Beautiful poem, revolting,  Thanks for sharing.  Speaking of the Moon I had a proud Pagan parenting moment this AM... Z was playing with these crescent moon stickers she has and she put two together and said "look, mama! its the full moon!!" I'm glad on some level observing the moon and reading about it's phases, etc. is sinking in.  Whenever we hit up the library I get at least one moon book.  :)  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#38 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Oh, mamas-- my sweetie's brother died, I think yesterday gloomy.gif

It was so sudden. M talked to this brother on Friday night on the webcam. Yesterday, the brother went into the hospital because he was having stomach pain and puking up blood-- I think it was puking. And they didn't (or couldn't) figure out what it was, sent him to ICU, didn't (couldn't?) tell anyone why he went to ICU, and then boom, he's dead. He was barely 60 and left a wife and two more-or-less grown kids.

M is pretty well devastated, understandably. The good news is he doesn't have money for alcohol-- which is, I guess, a good side effect of being broke. This is the first of his 10 brothers and sisters (including him) to go. He was the...hmm, 4th one in chronological order? M was thinking for some reason that they'd all die in the same order they were born. Um, no...not necessarily. His sister has cancer of some sort, and I'm guessing she'll be next, probably. Poor M greensad.gif

I only have one sibling, a brother. He's younger than me. He's way, way more highly stressed, and more of a type-A personality...he may end up going before me; who knows. At any rate, that will be hard enough if he goes before me. I can't imagine multiplying that pain 9 times.

#39 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI hope she wants your house! Good luck!

Altar calls? Really? I definitely attended religious camps and the like as a child, and I never, ever have seen an altar call in real life. Happy 5th wedding anniversary.

Nice poem!

Thanks-- I really hope she does, too. It's now Monday 11:20am and I haven't heard from the showing service. I called my realtor and left a msg, but haven't heard back from her, either.

I want to cook things, dang it! But I can't use anything that might smell up the house! GRR!

Yes, altar calls....I have heard of them being done even at weddings and funerals, how crass is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostI love the idea of eating favorite foods of our ancestors.  That is super creative!  AND UHM... maybe we actually *are* somehow connected as twins as my GGma's people came over on the MAYFLOWER, ALSO!!  I'll ask my Grandma and see if we know the name... 

I normally do eat sammies, but couldn't due to the wisdom teeth but I am 95% now and had a tasty tuna melt!! ymmm!!  I scarfed it down in record time!  hahaha.  

M at 50 days, your house having the possibility to sell!!  whaaaaat?!  I am seriously sending you energy to complete that transaction!!!!  

An altar call is where, after they preach or whatever, they invite anyone who has, during the service, been "called" to be saved, and the person goes up to the altar to be...hmm, whatever, they get blessed by the preacher and have hands on their head sometimes and such, and they get welcomed to the fold of the saved. It's public and I think it's very gauche, but it's done all over the South all the time. Usually it's done at like....oh, tent revivals (yes, they still have those) and church services, but like I said above, every opportunity, right? So even at weddings and funerals. CRASS!

lol.gif headscratch.gif Super creative, dunno about that. It was something that just sort of came naturally to me, to do that. We end up having weird combinations of food at one sitting, mostly invoving peanut butter ROTFLMAO.gif

My Grandma was the one who did the research so that she could belong to the Mayflower Society (official name: Society of Mayflower Descendents), which is how I found out about my lineage there. WmBradford had a bunch of kids, but I branch off right from him, from one of his dd's, I think. When I wanted to be a junior member (under age 18), all I had to do was prove my lineage to my Gramma and provide HER research.

Which is how I found out my father's birth was the result of a shotgun wedding bigeyes.gif Gramma was 18, he was 25, and she was 2mo preggers with my dad when they got married in 1933 or '34. My dad was born in September '34. Can you imagine the fear and shame?

Then, then she went on to have two more kids, girls, with her dh. Then she caught him red-handed in bed with another woman, and divorced him. She raised her 3 kids as a single mom, way back then, being a dental asst. She never had another relationship in her whole life, far as I know.

Oh, and I found out recently (well, w/in 15 years recently) that that man married his affair, and went on to have more kids! So I have half-aunts and uncles somewhere. He was rather a black sheep and I only met him once, that I can remember, when I was about 17.

Funny, the things you dig up when doing genealogy!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the vibes. I hope to heck M is able to get through his grief without drinking. But I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. And thank you for the well wishes about the house!

Glad your wisdoms are healing nicely. I didn't think mine were all that bad.

#40 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Nice poem!

Thanks-- I really hope she does, too. It's now Monday 11:20am and I haven't heard from the showing service. I called my realtor and left a msg, but haven't heard back from her, either.

I want to cook things, dang it! But I can't use anything that might smell up the house! GRR!

Yes, altar calls....I have heard of them being done even at weddings and funerals, how crass is that.

An altar call is where, after they preach or whatever, they invite anyone who has, during the service, been "called" to be saved, and the person goes up to the altar to be...hmm, whatever, they get blessed by the preacher and have hands on their head sometimes and such, and they get welcomed to the fold of the saved. It's public and I think it's very gauche, but it's done all over the South all the time. Usually it's done at like....oh, tent revivals (yes, they still have those) and church services, but like I said above, every opportunity, right? So even at weddings and funerals. CRASS!

Yep, that's an altar call. So crass! My church was evangelical. I talked to my mom about not being Christian anymore and she said that it'll be her job to teach DD about Jesus. I need to outline some clear guidelines with her, which I hope she'll be respectful of, but I'm fine with my mom teaching her bible stories and about Jesus, just no heaven, hell, sin, or converting. Thanks for listening, its something that has been bothering me lately but since DD is only 7 months, I don't need to worry about it yet. Its helps for me to get my thoughts out there though, didn't mean to bring up something so negative. My mom does occasionally surprise me so hopefully down the line this will be one of those instances. I'll focus on DD growing up with my beliefs but knowing that its her choice to believe what she wants. I'm excited for her to grow up without dogma! 

Maiasaura - Hoping the realtor calls you back today! I'm so sorry to hear about M's brother. I can't imagine how difficult that is for him. Addiction is so hard to deal with, especially when a stressful life stuff happens. He'll be in my thoughts. 

Revolting - Good luck on TTC! That's exciting!

Vydalea - Now I'm craving a tuna melt! Good to hear that you're healing well. 

Witchygrrl - An art class in the woods sounds so fun! I would love to do that! Sounds like an awesome school! 

Can anyone recommend any pagan books? I've started reading a couple and they're so so. I'm interested in kitchen witchery...Thanks! Hope everyone has a great week!

P.S. I'm not the best with quoting because I'm usually posting on my Kindle while nursing ;)

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#41 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM

(((Maia)))

Looks like I can't keep up...

I try to read everything but, at this moment, it seems like words elude me when I try to reply...

Thinking about you all even though I'm not actively interracting with you here or on FB. ;)

Valérie   
#42 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaydove View PostI talked to my mom about not being Christian anymore and she said that it'll be her job to teach DD about Jesus. I need to outline some clear guidelines with her, which I hope she'll be respectful of, but I'm fine with my mom teaching her bible stories and about Jesus, just no heaven, hell, sin, or converting.

I'll focus on DD growing up with my beliefs but knowing that its her choice to believe what she wants. I'm excited for her to grow up without dogma! 

Maiasaura - Hoping the realtor calls you back today! I'm so sorry to hear about M's brother. I can't imagine how difficult that is for him. Addiction is so hard to deal with, especially when a stressful life stuff happens. He'll be in my thoughts.

Kaydove, just a thought, but I don't think that your mom will be able to draw a line there. It will probably end up being no religion at ALL, from her, rather than bible stories and Jesus, but no heaven, hell, sin, or converting.. Though she may mellow-- but I'm not seeing it. You will have to worry about this stuff as early as 2yo. As soon as your dd is vocal and gets stories read to her.
And srsly, you have to watch for stealth grandparenting-- my own mom tried to get away with this kind of shite! And I would NEVER, ever have pegged my mom for someone who'd do that. Reading bible stories, sheesh. She's Episcopalian, but she only started studying the Bible not very long ago. She's more Sunday and Christmas religious, not all-the-time-soul-consuming religious. I was mortified. Oh, and feeding my ds crap food, thinking she's treating him and I'm depriving. OMG. I kid you not, your dd is just a wee babe right now, but ALL the family/friend ugly is about to come out on you.

I highly, HIGHLY advise you to search for the "bean dip" threads on MDC. Very highly.

Oh, realtor emailed me to make sure I can be out for a showing in moments. I said I could. Thanks for thinking of M; that is really sweet.

Oh yeah-- your dd will decide her own fate (religion AND other things) in spite of you lol.gif My boy is 11y8m and I have been figuring this out for a couple of years now. Sigh.

Valerie-- thanks for the hugs grouphug.gif Back atcha!

#43 of 96 Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Can anyone recommend any pagan books? I've started reading a couple and they're so so. I'm interested in kitchen witchery...Thanks! Hope everyone has a great week!

Love books by Ellen Dugan - anything, but esp Natural WItchery and Cottage Witchery.  If you're on fb, the Pagan Soccer Mom often recommends nifty sites and reading material.

http://www.ellendugan.com/2.html

#44 of 96 Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Hugs and Love for M.  Poor guy.  How is he holding up?  

Quote:

lol.gif headscratch.gif Super creative, dunno about that. It was something that just sort of came naturally to me, to do that. We end up having weird combinations of food at one sitting, mostly invoving peanut butter ROTFLMAO.gif

My Grandma was the one who did the research so that she could belong to the Mayflower Society (official name: Society of Mayflower Descendents), which is how I found out about my lineage there. WmBradford had a bunch of kids, but I branch off right from him, from one of his dd's, I think. When I wanted to be a junior member (under age 18), all I had to do was prove my lineage to my Gramma and provide HER research.

Altar calls sound really... different.  The closest thing I have experienced like that is when I was in a Catholic wedding.  The entire wedding party was told it was a REQUIREMENT (by the priest) that we had to go up and either get communion if we were Catholic or, if we weren't still come up stop in front of the priest, cross our arms in front of us, bow our heads, and get a special blessing.  I was like "OH HELL NO!"  I just didn't budge when the time came.  Not like it messed up their ceremony or anything.  I thought it was really weird that the priest required that.  I have been a non-Catholic in other wedding parties and never had that happen...

I will definitely have to find out about this Society of Mayflower Descendants.  I know that our genealogy takes us back to the American Revolution on both sides.  One side was fighting for the colonies and the other was the hired Hessians!!  only me.  So, I will have to find out if Gma has the path back to the Mayflower.  

Quote:

Love books by Ellen Dugan - anything, but esp Natural WItchery and Cottage Witchery.  

These look awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

I've got to motivate today and get the pumpkin carcass off my porch. We had one pop up in our compost this summer, we put it out on our front porch whole, a squirrel got into it as it started to get soft... and it got everywhere.  Which is fine but now the pumpkin is caved in on itself... and it's time... should probably clear off the porch furniture and stuff, too.  greensad.gif  Now that it's cold out I just want to be inside cooking all day long.  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#45 of 96 Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

I love the idea of eating favorite foods of our ancestors.  That is super creative!  AND UHM... maybe we actually *are* somehow connected as twins as my GGma's people came over on the MAYFLOWER, ALSO!!  I'll ask my Grandma and see if we know the name... 

Whenever we hit up the library I get at least one moon book.  :)  

I'm so jealous of all you mamas who can trace your family back so far...I'm hoping to be able to do that, some day...but we haven't had a lot of genealogists in my family. Between immigration (with a language barrier) and adoption, I haven't found it easy to find a lot of my ancestors.

What are your favorite moon books?

Quote:

It was so sudden. M talked to this brother on Friday night on the webcam. Yesterday, the brother went into the hospital because he was having stomach pain and puking up blood-- I think it was puking. And they didn't (or couldn't) figure out what it was, sent him to ICU, didn't (couldn't?) tell anyone why he went to ICU, and then boom, he's dead. He was barely 60 and left a wife and two more-or-less grown kids.

M is pretty well devastated, understandably. The good news is he doesn't have money for alcohol-- which is, I guess, a good side effect of being broke. This is the first of his 10 brothers and sisters (including him) to go. He was the...hmm, 4th one in chronological order? M was thinking for some reason that they'd all die in the same order they were born. Um, no...not necessarily. His sister has cancer of some sort, and I'm guessing she'll be next, probably. Poor M greensad.gif

candle.gif So sorry. How's he doing now?

Quote:

P.S. I'm not the best with quoting because I'm usually posting on my Kindle while nursing ;)

What have you read so far? I really like Starhawk...strangely enough, not The Spiral Dance, but The Earth Path, Circle Round, and the Twelve Swans are definitely some of my favorite Pagan Books. I also think Celebrating the Great Mother is an excellent book for any Pagan family. Otherwise, one of my favorite Kitchen Witchery book lists is this one http://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/topics-in-contemporary-paganism/this-kitchen-witchs-library/ A lot of it isn't specifically Pagan, but really are things Pagans should know, at least I think. Also, Mary Oliver may not exactly be a Pagan, but I think most Pagans would appreciate her work...and she has a new book out!

Quote:

Altar calls sound really... different.  The closest thing I have experienced like that is when I was in a Catholic wedding.  The entire wedding party was told it was a REQUIREMENT (by the priest) that we had to go up and either get communion if we were Catholic or, if we weren't still come up stop in front of the priest, cross our arms in front of us, bow our heads, and get a special blessing.  I was like "OH HELL NO!"  I just didn't budge when the time came.  Not like it messed up their ceremony or anything.  I thought it was really weird that the priest required that.  I have been a non-Catholic in other wedding parties and never had that happen...

This reminds me of going to a wedding where the pastor (Lutheran) spent part of the ceremony denouncing gay marriage, and I just think that's so crass to use someone's wedding like that.

Oh, and I've been loving this song lately. Perfect for Samhain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hW0vYIev6MU

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#46 of 96 Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 AM

Can I sneak in too?  DH and I are both Asatru.  flowersforyou.gif

Momma (25) to DD (almost 4)  and TTC #2.  Married to DH (almost 27) living the cold.gifteapot2.GIFdh_malesling.GIF,bikenew.gif,wash.gifknit.gif life and hoping to hbac.gif and cd.gif

#47 of 96 Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerissav View Post

Welcome!

Just wanted to pop in and announce that I got my BFP this morning. Please send any energy, prayers, magic for a healthy, sticky baby this time.

#48 of 96 Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostHugs and Love for M.  Poor guy.  How is he holding up? 

He's hanging in there. Still sober! joy.gif 53 days now! And while he has blown off meetings for the last two days, he says he thinks he ought to go to one today thumb.gif

Thanks for the squirrel warning! We have squirrels now, and I have a big pumpkin on the porch! yikes2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI'm so jealous of all you mamas who can trace your family back so far...I'm hoping to be able to do that, some day...but we haven't had a lot of genealogists in my family. Between immigration (with a language barrier) and adoption, I haven't found it easy to find a lot of my ancestors.

candle.gif So sorry. How's he doing now?

He says thanks for the virtual candle heartbeat.gif He is doing alright, all things considered.

Don't be too jealous-- that's my dad's family I posted about. My mom's family is all Hungarian Jewish, and her father was adopted-- and all adoption records were sealed back then. So that 1/4 of my family is a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerissav View PostCan I sneak in too?  DH and I are both Asatru.  flowersforyou.gif

Sure! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostJust wanted to pop in and announce that I got my BFP this morning. Please send any energy, prayers, magic for a healthy, sticky baby this time.

Congrats! I forgot what BFP means, but I know it means something to do with pregnancy dust.gif Stay, baby, stay!

Did I tell y'all the showing fell through? bawling.gif I had a really, really rough day yesterday over that. Apparently the woman went and put an offer in on a house, sight unseen (!),while her realtor was out of town! How nutty is that? But now I have to start all over again, dang it. It can't be the price-- I would say it was, if a lot of people have come through and rejected it, but I can count how many showings it's had on one hand, in over 2+ years! Gah!

#49 of 96 Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I'm so jealous of all you mamas who can trace your family back so far...I'm hoping to be able to do that, some day...but we haven't had a lot of genealogists in my family. Between immigration (with a language barrier) and adoption, I haven't found it easy to find a lot of my ancestors.

What are your favorite moon books?

What have you read so far? I really like Starhawk...strangely enough, not The Spiral Dance, but The Earth Path, Circle Round, and the Twelve Swans are definitely some of my favorite Pagan Books. I also think Celebrating the Great Mother is an excellent book for any Pagan family. Otherwise, one of my favorite Kitchen Witchery book lists is this one http://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/topics-in-contemporary-paganism/this-kitchen-witchs-library/ A lot of it isn't specifically Pagan, but really are things Pagans should know, at least I think. Also, Mary Oliver may not exactly be a Pagan, but I think most Pagans would appreciate her work...and she has a new book out!

So, I'm a bad mama and don't keep track of the names of the books we borrow from the library.  I really should... our favorite one is called "Sometimes Moon" by Carole Lexa Schaefer.  It's describes the different phases of the moon & the feast/gathering that her family partakes in at the full moon.  it's really neat.  

I didn't like Spiral Dance, either.  I wanted to but it was really dense.  I'll have to check out Earth Path.  I also like Circle Round and love Celebrating the Great Mother for it's ease.  

Quote:

wave.gif Hi nerissav!  Looking forward to what you have to add with your background in Asatru.  

Quote:

Welcome!

Just wanted to pop in and announce that I got my BFP this morning. Please send any energy, prayers, magic for a healthy, sticky baby this time.

Double quoting you, mama... goodvibes.gif sending you my thoughts, energy, love!!  

Quote:
He's hanging in there. Still sober! joy.gif 53 days now! And while he has blown off meetings for the last two days, he says he thinks he ought to go to one today thumb.gif

He says thanks for the virtual candle heartbeat.gif He is doing alright, all things considered.

Did I tell y'all the showing fell through? bawling.gif I had a really, really rough day yesterday over that. Apparently the woman went and put an offer in on a house, sight unseen (!),while her realtor was out of town! How nutty is that? But now I have to start all over again, dang it. It can't be the price-- I would say it was, if a lot of people have come through and rejected it, but I can count how many showings it's had on one hand, in over 2+ years! Gah!

M still sober!! ALLLLL RIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!!!! so happy for him and you, mama!!  

and... NOoooooooooOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOoOOOOOO!!! for the showing.  That really stinks, Maia!!  greensad.gif  I'm sure it was really hard to have your hopes up like that and then...not even a showing... hug2.gif  

#50 of 96 Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

For the month, I had wanted to read to my eldest The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury, due to the cross-cultural/historical survey it provides of Samhain and ancestor worship, but unfortunately, after a few chapters my five year old didn't want to continue reading (despite that she enjoyed the movie in the past - which we'll probably watch again this October - which makes me suspect the reading level is a bit too high still and I might try again next year). We read Ghost Wings by Barbara Joosse last year, which we will probably repeat this year.

Thank you for the suggestions!!!!

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#51 of 96 Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Blessings your way revolting hoping for a sticky bean for you!

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

#52 of 96 Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Don't be too jealous-- that's my dad's family I posted about. My mom's family is all Hungarian Jewish, and her father was adopted-- and all adoption records were sealed back then. So that 1/4 of my family is a mystery.

Yay on the sobriety. Way to go M!

My mother is adopted with a closed adoption, which closes off half my family tree. Then my paternal grandmother's parents were Lithuanian immigrants, so I don't have anything that goes further back than them. I do have my father's father's side of the family to keep me busy, but oh am I curious about my mother's first mother, about my ancestors that came from Lithuania, etc...

How disappointing. I can't imagine buying a house without visiting! I mean, those pictures always look way nicer than the house actually is.

My big kid is sick. When do they learn to throw up in the toilet? I'm trying to keep the two year old entertained cooped up in the apartment all day and some cleaning done, but with all the packing and missing furniture, it feels like a pointless task. Anyone have any favorite healing song or chant they like to sing when their kids are sick?

#53 of 96 Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Kaydove: what are you reading? Cunningham is always my first recommendation for newbies. Also, there's Green Witchcraft.http://www.amazon.com/Green-Witchcraft-Magic-Fairy-Series/dp/1567186904 It's good, but not my path.

nissav: DH is a Norse follower, though not Asatru. Good to see some more Odenskinder here!

Revolting: many blessings of the gorilla glue variety

All: I've been in absentia for awhile, for good reason. Three weeks ago my brother, who was awaiting trial, disappeared. His house was broken into, his gold was missing, and the tracking anklet had been cut off. He had been diagnosed with a host of mental issues including severe PTSD. He is still missing and it isn't like him to just take off. We are concerned that he was forcibly taken for money or revenge.

On the other hand, I have published three books and gotten my first official paid ghostwriting job with great reviews. We are getting a 1/4 grassfed cow and a friend of my parents is giving us a freezer for free! We are planning out a busy winter/fall renovation projet schedule and getting ready for the holiday cram. DH is doing well at his job, which has spawned a topic for the podcast: Sacred Slaughter. We are looking at a very financially secure season, which is great, but unusual.

Oh, and regarding the stealth Christian grandma thing, my mom bought DS a boardbook for the Christmas Story. Sometimes DS still picks it for bedtime books. I replace the names, places, etc. with Horus, Isis, Osiris, etc. Cuz I'm ebil!

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#54 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 AM

Revolting  goodvibes.gif sent your way.  Don't be too jealous of those who can trace our ancestry back pretty far (I've got to about 1200 on part of my dad's side and 1500/1600/1700 with the rest).  It isn't all that interesting!  I think it would at least tickle my fancy a bit more if they had kept journals or you knew what they all did for a living and what their personalities were like.  Endless birth/death/marriage records just become numbers after a while.  Thankfully I've got some Mormons in the family who did most of the research for me.  

Wolfcat    I usually just use Asatru as kind of short hand.  People here tend to say they practice the "Old Ways" or the such.  Do you and your husband do rituals/holidays together?  Things have been soo busy and stressful lately that we've both been totally neglecting our spirituality.  I hope that everything turns out ok with your brother.

My mother, who is a non-practicing Christian, decided to teach my daughter about Jesus last Christmas.  I wasn't amused in the slightest.  I don't have a problem with her learning about it, but I'd rather it come from a factual background and presented in a non-biased way.

Halloween isn't really celebrated here but there are a handful of pumpkin type things, but the Jule (Yule) decorations and wrapping paper are already out at supermarkets and Ikea.  I bought my first julebuk (Yule goat)  of the year already! It is a really old tradition that is rooted in Thor being pulled through the sky by goats!

Momma (25) to DD (almost 4)  and TTC #2.  Married to DH (almost 27) living the cold.gifteapot2.GIFdh_malesling.GIF,bikenew.gif,wash.gifknit.gif life and hoping to hbac.gif and cd.gif

#55 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolting View PostYay on the sobriety. Way to go M!

My big kid is sick. When do they learn to throw up in the toilet?

M says thank you smile.gif

I don't remember. I always kept a small trash can next to the bed so my ds could lean over and throw up in there, if he had to. He's pretty good about that. I think around...hmm, 4 or 5 maybe? Forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
All: I've been in absentia for awhile, for good reason. Three weeks ago my brother, who was awaiting trial, disappeared. His house was broken into, his gold was missing, and the tracking anklet had been cut off. He had been diagnosed with a host of mental issues including severe PTSD. He is still missing and it isn't like him to just take off. We are concerned that he was forcibly taken for money or revenge.

On the other hand, I have published three books and gotten my first official paid ghostwriting job with great reviews. We are getting a 1/4 grassfed cow and a friend of my parents is giving us a freezer for free! We are planning out a busy winter/fall renovation projet schedule and getting ready for the holiday cram.

Oh wow, Wolfcat. How scary for you. I hope he's alright hug2.gif

Very nice on the books and cow and freezer! Nice!

Quote:

My mother, who is a non-practicing Christian, decided to teach my daughter about Jesus last Christmas.  I wasn't amused in the slightest.  I don't have a problem with her learning about it, but I'd rather it come from a factual background and presented in a non-biased way.

Halloween isn't really celebrated here but there are a handful of pumpkin type things, but the Jule (Yule) decorations and wrapping paper are already out at supermarkets and Ikea.  I bought my first julebuk (Yule goat)  of the year already! It is a really old tradition that is rooted in Thor being pulled through the sky by goats!

I would f*cking freak if someone tried to go behind my back and teach ds something other than what I want him to know. My mom did buy him a Bible...hmm, two years ago? A year? And I gave her That Look, but she said he asked her for it. Which he did-- how odd, but if it's his idea. I don't have a problem with it.

You're in Denmark? I think most of us here are in the US or Canada. It will be refreshing for me to hear about your traditions over there! What is a julebuk? It's not a real live goat, is it??

#56 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM

Hey all, not sure but wanting to contribute but I feel so disconnected from life these days. My father passed last Monday and I have always been very sensitive to ancestors during this time of very and feel like the veil is very thin already. Anyone else feeling more alert to spirit happenings on the other side? Or had an increase in dreams? Seems messages are everywhere.

Also gearing up for a more focused celebration/ritual with my little one where we will create an ancestor altar together, which makes me a little sad since last year we were with my dad when we did it; though he wasn't really aware of what me and DD were doing, he just thought it was another one of the "weird" things I do and joked about eating the food I put out.Looks like this year he will get to enjoy the food afterall.

I am reading your posts about Jesus teaching, such a hard spot for us as well. When she was much younger her daycare provider told her that God and Jesus love her and watch over her. She kept telling me Jesus loves me so I am ok. I lost it over that and my husband was just like "honey everyone will share their beliefs, just teach her what "we" believe."  I still boil up thinking about a provider teaching about god and jesus.... I todl my DD that Jesus was an incredible spiritual teacher who many people believe in the same way we believe in faeries, Mama Earth, Sistermoon, Brother Sun, Father Sky, our ancestors, dreams, community, sustainable agriculture, star matter and chocolate.

#57 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:

I would f*cking freak if someone tried to go behind my back and teach ds something other than what I want him to know. My mom did buy him a Bible...hmm, two years ago? A year? And I gave her That Look, but she said he asked her for it. Which he did-- how odd, but if it's his idea. I don't have a problem with it.

You're in Denmark? I think most of us here are in the US or Canada. It will be refreshing for me to hear about your traditions over there! What is a julebuk? It's not a real live goat, is it??

I had specifically told her on several occasions that she wasn't to teach my daughter about Christianity.  She had also brought my daughter into church once!  I figure for her that it is so hard to break the religion from the cultural that she can't.  She can't see Christmas without talk of Christ or life events without a Christian overtone.  She tried to convince me that my daughter would be mocked for not being part of a mainstream religion....  Well, that is just her I guess.

I'm an American married to a Dane in Denmark so I straddle both worlds I guess.  The Yule goat is usually made of straw and it is a small to medium sized thing you keep around your house.  I know the Swedes light a large one on fire.  Some people put the straw ones in the fire every year and other people keep them.  I've always taken it as a tradition that Thor was watching to make sure that the Yule preparations were up to par, but some of that mythology has been lost over time.  You can buy them at Ikea in America as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

Hey all, not sure but wanting to contribute but I feel so disconnected from life these days. My father passed last Monday and I have always been very sensitive to ancestors during this time of very and feel like the veil is very thin already. Anyone else feeling more alert to spirit happenings on the other side? Or had an increase in dreams? Seems messages are everywhere.

I am reading your posts about Jesus teaching, such a hard spot for us as well. When she was much younger her daycare provider told her that God and Jesus love her and watch over her. She kept telling me Jesus loves me so I am ok. I lost it over that and my husband was just like "honey everyone will share their beliefs, just teach her what "we" believe."  I still boil up thinking about a provider teaching about god and jesus.... I todl my DD that Jesus was an incredible spiritual teacher who many people believe in the same way we believe in faeries, Mama Earth, Sistermoon, Brother Sun, Father Sky, our ancestors, dreams, community, sustainable agriculture, star matter and chocolate.

For me, I've always been sensitive as well.  The weird thing is that my dad, who passed in August, I have not felt at all.   I'm sorry to hear of your father's recent death - it can be very hard to go through.  I think even several months later it is just every time I pick up the phone to call him and then realize that he is gone that it really hits.  I've felt almost nothing spiritual since he has been gone.  :(

I find even that at a young age, she does have questions about other people's religions, so I try to answer them in a very plain way. I do struggle with not putting my own biases upon her about the full face veils we sometimes encounter or different aspects of religions.  That is something I need to work on.

#58 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I have published three books and gotten my first official paid ghostwriting job with great reviews. We are getting a 1/4 grassfed cow and a friend of my parents is giving us a freezer for free! We are planning out a busy winter/fall renovation projet schedule and getting ready for the holiday cram. DH is doing well at his job, which has spawned a topic for the podcast: Sacred Slaughter. We are looking at a very financially secure season, which is great, but unusual.
Oh, and regarding the stealth Christian grandma thing, my mom bought DS a boardbook for the Christmas Story. Sometimes DS still picks it for bedtime books. I replace the names, places, etc. with Horus, Isis, Osiris, etc. Cuz I'm ebil!

I'm so sorry about your brother. I hope he's okay. How are you doing?

Three books? Wow! What kind of renovation projects do you have for this fall and winter? We have a lot planned for this autumn and winter, too. I hope we manage to put up drywall in two more bedrooms at least as well as rework the electrical so that we can install overhead lights in both rooms as well. I'd love to get drywall up in the hall and living room and install overhead lighting in the living room as well, but since I have major landscaping I want to get done in early spring, that probably won't happen.

LOL about the books. I love it!

Quote:

Revolting  goodvibes.gif sent your way.  Don't be too jealous of those who can trace our ancestry back pretty far (I've got to about 1200 on part of my dad's side and 1500/1600/1700 with the rest).  It isn't all that interesting!  I think it would at least tickle my fancy a bit more if they had kept journals or you knew what they all did for a living and what their personalities were like.  Endless birth/death/marriage records just become numbers after a while.  Thankfully I've got some Mormons in the family who did most of the research for me.  

Wolfcat    I usually just use Asatru as kind of short hand.  People here tend to say they practice the "Old Ways" or the such.  Do you and your husband do rituals/holidays together?  Things have been soo busy and stressful lately that we've both been totally neglecting our spirituality.  I hope that everything turns out ok with your brother.

None of my ancestors I've traced far enough back that there aren't any family stories. Like, my father can't remember his great-grandfather's name, but he passed to me this wonderful family story about how he fought in the Confederate Army and at Missionary Ridge, they were so hungry they ate their mules. Isn't that a great story? But it could be like my husband's family who for so long thought they had Sioux ancestry until his grandmother developed an interest in genealogy and found out that actually, the ancestor they thought was Sioux wasn't...he just had a lot of involvement and interest in the Sioux. I've thought a bit about molecular genealogy, if for nothing else to get a sense of the ethnic identity of my mother's biological parents. She doesn't know, though she tells people she Italian. People often asked about my race, so I do wonder. (Of course, my daughter looks about as white as you can look; my son looks more like an eastern Jew than his Jewish father, so it may well be nothing.) I do know my mother was relinquished to a Lutheran adoption agency, which suggests that the mother was Lutheran, but who knows?

Already? I'm US-centric enough to refuse to think about the winter holidays until after Thanksgiving.

Quote:

Also gearing up for a more focused celebration/ritual with my little one where we will create an ancestor altar together, which makes me a little sad since last year we were with my dad when we did it; though he wasn't really aware of what me and DD were doing, he just thought it was another one of the "weird" things I do and joked about eating the food I put out.Looks like this year he will get to enjoy the food afterall.

So sorry for your loss. How are you doing?

I definitely can feel the veil starting to thin. I've had a really strong sense of my grandfather in the last few weeks. I had a weird relationship with my grandfather growing up; I only saw him twice a year when I was really little, so I barely remember him before he came to live with us when he had pretty advanced Alzheimer's: he never knew who I was; he didn't interact with me much; and he kind of frightened me. But then this October, when I've done very very little genealogical research due to all the other stuff I have on my plate, I find a picture of him in his high school year book from his Freshman year and my daughter brings a book from the library that is the only book I can ever remember my grandfather reading to me when I was a child. My mother, who almost never talks about my paternal grandfather, recently brought up how the only thing her father-in-law really wanted from her was for her to have children. (My mother doesn't know about our efforts of trying to conceive or the losses we've had.) I've just had a very strong sense of his presence lately.

How old is your kid or kids? It's really unprofessional of a caregiver to indoctrinate like that. Ugh.

Quote:

For me, I've always been sensitive as well.  The weird thing is that my dad, who passed in August, I have not felt at all.   I'm sorry to hear of your father's recent death - it can be very hard to go through.  I think even several months later it is just every time I pick up the phone to call him and then realize that he is gone that it really hits.  I've felt almost nothing spiritual since he has been gone.  :(

So sorry for your loss. Perhaps, as the grief fades and the wheel continues to turn, you will feel him.

AFM: My eldest is reviving, so my parents will be able to watch her tomorrow while we work on the house and have a date to celebrate Sweetest Day (yeah, Midwesterner here). So, I've noticed the room where we've already redone the drywall...it definitely feels cleansed of the energy from the previous occupants, but the rest of the house even with refinishing the floors, it still has the same dark energy that I think kept this house on the market so long. It's an estate sale, and the woman who lived there before her death had a disabled child who couldn't take care of herself, and I think that energy is still in the house. I'm looking for ideas to cleanse the house. (We do simple spiritual cleansing stuff on new moons, but I think this house needs a deep clean, lol.) I'm also looking for ideas of greeting the land of somewhere that's going to be a permanent home for us. Most places we've lived have been very urban and transient: we haven't lived anywhere more than a couple years. The land really spoke to us when we moved her, and that was a huge part of why we bought the property, and I want to thank it and also start the work of really setting down roots in this land.

#59 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

My father passed last Monday

When she was much younger her daycare provider told her that God and Jesus love her and watch over her. ... I lost it over that and my husband was just like "honey everyone will share their beliefs, just teach her what "we" believe."  I still boil up thinking about a provider teaching about god and jesus

So sorry for your loss hug2.gif My father died in 1999. I'm not feeling him as much either, but he comes through at the weirdest times!

I think your DH is right, but it still makes my blood boil that so many people assume everyone is Christian because it's the dominant paradigm. How arrogant, y'know? I had started everything by saying (and still do) "...some people believe that...". Because I had started that when ds was little (he's 11 now), he eventually started saying "but what do WE believe?", and I would tell him, and as he got older, he started asking what *I* believe-- and so I could ask him what *he* believed. When he was little it was definitely a "we" situation. Now he's older, it's a him/me thing. Was neat to watch that evolve.

My ds's daycare lady, back when he was little (he went there from 2-1/2 to 5yo) started meals with the prayer "God is great, God is good..." and I did not know that for AGES, until he came home and wanted to use that prayer instead of the ones we'd been using. That was my meal blessing growing up, so I was double "WHERE did you hear that???" because I hadn't taught it to him! I was livid-- but the lady is old, and mainstream, and oldschool (she's 2y younger than my mom) and honestly had no idea there was ever any other way. It was hard, but I turned a blind eye to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerissav View PostI had specifically told her on several occasions that she wasn't to teach my daughter about Christianity.  She had also brought my daughter into church once!  

She tried to convince me that my daughter would be mocked for not being part of a mainstream religion....  Well, that is just her I guess.

I'm an American married to a Dane in Denmark so I straddle both worlds I guess.  The Yule goat is usually made of straw and it is a small to medium sized thing you keep around your house.  I know the Swedes light a large one on fire.  Some people put the straw ones in the fire every year and other people keep them.  I've always taken it as a tradition that Thor was watching to make sure that the Yule preparations were up to par, but some of that mythology has been lost over time.

OK, I am not up on my Norse...what does Thor have to do with a goat? It sounds cool, though-- I like goats, and they are very popular to have, here, where I live. I would put up a small one maybe. I mean inches, not huge!

This <She tried to convince me that my daughter would be mocked for not being part of a mainstream religion>-- Um, whatever. That's YOUR problem, not your mother's. I hate when my mom pulls that sh*t. My business, Mom!

I didn't want my mom muddying my son's religious education either, when he was little. I don't care now, because he's old enough to make up his own mind, but at two? Three? No way was that allowed. I didn't have a problem with church, because at that age he'd have no idea what was going on anyway, but she'd better ask me first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI've thought a bit about molecular genealogy, if for nothing else to get a sense of the ethnic identity of my mother's biological parents. She doesn't know, though she tells people she Italian. People often asked about my race, so I do wonder. (Of course, my daughter looks about as white as you can look; my son looks more like an eastern Jew than his Jewish father, so it may well be nothing.) I do know my mother was relinquished to a Lutheran adoption agency, which suggests that the mother was Lutheran, but who knows?

Already? I'm US-centric enough to refuse to think about the winter holidays until after Thanksgiving.

What is molecular genealogy? I KWYM about people having different versions, though-- if you asked me, I'd tell you I'm Hungarian Jew on my mother's side, and on my father's a mix of English (Mayflower), Dutch, and German, a splattering of Iroquois, some American South and North both. My brother probably would just say Jewish for our mom's side, but he'd say German on our Dad's. I think.

We don't do Thanksgiving in my house-- for a couple of reasons. One is that my son and I both think setting aside ONE DAY a year for being grateful is obnoxious. The other is that there are just the two of us. He couldn't care less about a special meal. And doesn't particularly like turkey. The only family we have near is my mom, who is an 8-hour drive away, and she's over it too. She'd just throw a turkey breast in the crock pot and a fancy tablecloth on, and call it a day. When I was a child, we had like 20ppl around the table, it was a huge to-do, there was a kids' table, decorations...the whole 9 yards. I just don't see the point for just two of us.

SO I have a woman come take care of ds, and I go see my honey in MA.

I'm weird that I start on the next holiday right after the current one is over-- but they're Pagan holidays, so I'm often early compared to secular holidays. Early November, I am starting to transition to Yule!

#60 of 96 Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Kaydove, just a thought, but I don't think that your mom will be able to draw a line there. It will probably end up being no religion at ALL, from her, rather than bible stories and Jesus, but no heaven, hell, sin, or converting.. Though she may mellow-- but I'm not seeing it. You will have to worry about this stuff as early as 2yo. As soon as your dd is vocal and gets stories read to her.
And srsly, you have to watch for stealth grandparenting-- my own mom tried to get away with this kind of shite! And I would NEVER, ever have pegged my mom for someone who'd do that. Reading bible stories, sheesh. She's Episcopalian, but she only started studying the Bible not very long ago. She's more Sunday and Christmas religious, not all-the-time-soul-consuming religious. I was mortified. Oh, and feeding my ds crap food, thinking she's treating him and I'm depriving. OMG. I kid you not, your dd is just a wee babe right now, but ALL the family/friend ugly is about to come out on you.

I highly, HIGHLY advise you to search for the "bean dip" threads on MDC. Very highly.

I found the Bean Dip article and that was just what I need to hear. I do tend to site research to defend myself and definitely need to learn to just change the subject! 

Quote:

Welcome!

Congratulations!!! I lite a candle last night for a sticky bean!

Quote:

Kaydove: what are you reading? Cunningham is always my first recommendation for newbies. Also, there's Green Witchcraft.http://www.amazon.com/Green-Witchcraft-Magic-Fairy-Series/dp/1567186904 It's good, but not my path.
nissav: DH is a Norse follower, though not Asatru. Good to see some more Odenskinder here!
Revolting: many blessings of the gorilla glue variety

I just started Cottage Witchery and I'm liking it! I started "Exploring the Pagan Path: Wisdom From the Elders" and its so so. I also started "The Sacred Wheel: a guide to the Pagan year for beginners in Witchcraft and Wicca" and its not speaking to me either, but I do like Cottage Witchery so far. I really like the idea of cooking with intent. One side of me is really practical and logical and the other side believes in the mystical and sometimes they're at odds, so some books that don't jive well with me. I do like the practical, tangible-ness of kitchen witchery. 

Quote:

I was surprised to read that day care provider told your DD about Jesus! Even if I was still Christian, I would be upset since its none of their business! 

Quote:

We don't do Thanksgiving in my house-- for a couple of reasons. One is that my son and I both think setting aside ONE DAY a year for being grateful is obnoxious. The other is that there are just the two of us. He couldn't care less about a special meal. And doesn't particularly like turkey. The only family we have near is my mom, who is an 8-hour drive away, and she's over it too. She'd just throw a turkey breast in the crock pot and a fancy tablecloth on, and call it a day. When I was a child, we had like 20ppl around the table, it was a huge to-do, there was a kids' table, decorations...the whole 9 yards. I just don't see the point for just two of us.

SO I have a woman come take care of ds, and I go see my honey in MA.

I'm weird that I start on the next holiday right after the current one is over-- but they're Pagan holidays, so I'm often early compared to secular holidays. Early November, I am starting to transition to Yule!

I hear you on not celebrating Thanksgiving. We're new to our city with no family and like 3 friends so no idea what we will end up doing. My DH has issues with it because he's half native american. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page