October Cozy Pagan Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 96 Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can't believe this wasn't up yet!  I love October... One of my favorite months!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 96 Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Yay! Subbing! Happy October! Did y'all know the Full Blood Moon is like two days before Samhain/Halloween? What are y'all's plans for the holiday/holy day? Doing anything all month long? Does anyone honor Day Of The Dead? Making sugar skulls?

I wonder what I can make skulls out of that is Paleo headscratch.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#3 of 96 Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM

We have a ritual at our local shop we're gong to. Samhain is always the biggest deal. But I need to find a babysitter. Le sigh.

Please throw all the good juju you have. Dh is having an extremely high stakes interview tomorrow at a nearby school. This is the first round (although he was interviewed on the phone already), so i hope it goes well and he can come back to the 2nd to give a lesson, which I know he will do well at.

I just want this cycle to end already!!!

Come ponder with me about food!
#4 of 96 Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM

I made it here on day 1, go me.  October and I have a love hate relationship... adding midterms to the mix is just peachy.  dizzy.gif

But I love the cool nights and warm days. 

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#5 of 96 Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 AM

Witchy - praying for your partner. Best of luck!

We don't officially celebrate the Day of the Dead, but with the huge immigrant population (of many different nationalities and religions but definitely a lot of Mexican Catholics), it'd be hard to ignore. Plus we have a few non-Pagan friends who have formal ofrendas. We also have a tradition of going to the Museum of Mexican Fine Art on the Day of the Dead, which has an amazing Day of the Dead exhibit and sugar skulls to purchase. yummy.gif Generally, I try to devote this month to genealogy research, but with the move, I don't think I'll get much done beyond making a family tree with the kids. I want to rebuild my beloved dead altar, but I've yet to decide how I want to represent the miscarriages, and the whole thing is still painful enough that I don't know if I could have that kind of altar on top of my fridge right now. Part of me thinks I could use this time to help me heal through this year's losses, but I don't know if I'm ready. Where I live, the leaves are just starting to really turn. I might just focus on making leaf art for our altar, since I love making it. I've already started pressing leaves to mod podge and make into a wreath. We did a crayon rubbing with watercolors mural last year that looked great and I think we'll do it again this year. I think we might also try leaf casting with plaster of paris this year.

For the month, I had wanted to read to my eldest The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury, due to the cross-cultural/historical survey it provides of Samhain and ancestor worship, but unfortunately, after a few chapters my five year old didn't want to continue reading (despite that she enjoyed the movie in the past - which we'll probably watch again this October - which makes me suspect the reading level is a bit too high still and I might try again next year). We read Ghost Wings by Barbara Joosse last year, which we will probably repeat this year.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#6 of 96 Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

We have a Halloween party this month.  Plus, trick or treating on Halloween.  Lots of crafty stuff all month long.

We don't celebrate the Day of the Dead.  We honor our ancestors on Samhain.

I'm having a rough day.  Feel like I have PMS on steroids. (no, I'm not on steroids.)  I'm super agitated.  I want to crawl out of my skin and fly away.  I want to soak in a jacuzzi.  I want to get my hair cut/colored.  Of course, I can't do any of that and am feeling trapped and volatile. 

#7 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 AM

We'll be trick or treating again this year. My DD loved it last year when we all went as pirates and made her wagon into a pirate ship. This year, we'll be all over the map. I wanted DH to go as a glittery peacock, but he can't find the right materials. Not sure what his fallback plan is. I'm going as Elizabeth Warren because I really like her and I think I can pull off her look easily. DD is going as a purple fairy princess.

#8 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 AM

Witchy - No update on the interview?

DoK - So sorry you feel like that. Maybe a nice bath? Hope today goes better for you!

We are DEFINITELY trick-or-treating in our new neighborhood. My eldest wants to go as Harry Potter. We already have a Hogwarts school uniform in her dress-up bin, so all we really need are the glasses. I'm trying to talk my two year old into wearing an owl costume I made for my daughter when she was two. He keeps picking different animals that he wants to be. No thoughts on adult costumes. I'd sort of like to dress up (and have half-heartedly thought about my partner and I going as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley), but with the move, I don't know if I'll pull it off. We will continue the tradition of the Sugar Sprite in this house, though I've read of people leaving offerings of Halloween candy to their beloved dead, and I kind of like that, too...but I think I might save that for once the kids outgrow the sugar sprite just to simplify. I'm going to try a group ritual this year, despite the long drive, that happens the first Friday in November, for Samhain through a UU church. I'm a little nervous, since they encourage people to wear ritual garb, whatever that means...I'm worried about showing up in inappropriate clothing.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#9 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostWe'll be trick or treating again this year. My DD loved it last year when we all went as pirates and made her wagon into a pirate ship. This year, we'll be all over the map. I wanted DH to go as a glittery peacock, but he can't find the right materials. Not sure what his fallback plan is. I'm going as Elizabeth Warren because I really like her and I think I can pull off her look easily. DD is going as a purple fairy princess.

Elizabeth Warren lol.gif

I'm always a witch. Because I'm a Witch. And it's easy to wear a long black dress, my combat boots-- though I would LOVE to find decent stripey socks and some sort of clunky shoes that won't kill my feet walking around for hours trick-or-treating-- and my gorgeous black crocheted witch's hat that I paid $70 and am really thinking of getting rid of, since it was an impulse buy at PSG and I only wear it once a year shrug.gif

DS wants to be some character from Assassin's Creed, which is a video game he hasn't even played-- just heard about. And the guy is so dang complicated, we'll never find the things he needs to be that guy. Or even make them, cause it's really, really complicated looking. Ugh. Why can't he choose something simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostWe will continue the tradition of the Sugar Sprite in this house, though I've read of people leaving offerings of Halloween candy to their beloved dead, and I kind of like that, too...but I think I might save that for once the kids outgrow the sugar sprite just to simplify. I'm going to try a group ritual this year, despite the long drive, that happens the first Friday in November, for Samhain through a UU church. I'm a little nervous, since they encourage people to wear ritual garb, whatever that means...I'm worried about showing up in inappropriate clothing.

Sugar Sprite-- someone who takes all the candy? I think I used to do that when ds was really little, but since he was about 5, I let him go to town on all the candy he wants to consume in the following 24 hours, THEN I ration it out. This year, since Halloween is on a school night, that won't happen. He can have *some*, and stay up a little late, but he'll have to wait till the weekend for the Big Candy Fest.

Ritual garb-- most people here just wear really pretty flowy things, robes and such. I wear a long dress, usually, or skirt. Don't worry about inappropriate-- IMO "ritual garb" is individual. If you say it's YOUR ritual garb, then it is! Plus it's a UU-- who cares, it's not a coven winky.gif And, you said "encourage", not "require". I usually wear black for Samhain, if that helps.

I swear I had this small box full of things that were my grandmother's-- little trinkets, like paper umbrellas from drinks and stuff-- and I can NOT find it. I am going out of my mind with this. I swear it was up on my closet shelf, and it is not anywhere to be found in my room, and I would not have stored it anywhere else. Now I am doubting it ever existed, but I know it is the one thing I got from her apartment after she died. Dang. I am going to tear this house right up. I wanted some of that stuff on my altar. GRRR.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#10 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Going to be lurking here... I am a spiritual eccletic... who has strong pagan inclinations. <3

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#11 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Mamas, mamas!  I'm here! I'm here! 

I love October!! It's my birthday month!!  Hooray!!  

What is a Sugar Sprite?  

I love all the costume ideas.  Z is going to be a cow (my dad is a dairy farmer, how appropriate - but I totally got the costume from a friend).  I am going to be a witch as I am every year just like you, Maia!  :)  I wear a long black skirt, green and black leggings with my mary jane doc martens and a hat.  I have a shirt I have worn the past few years that is sparkly with a cat jumping over a pumpkin or something that I bought after the holiday a few years back.  I might look for something new this year.  Maybe.  

This year I am going to try to make a picture family tree for Z for Samhain.  For me, too, I suppose.  We'll see how it works out.  I always seem to have high hopes for the holidays and then.... *kaput*

Witchy, how was DH's interview??  Sending good energy!!

hi amlikam!  

Happy, happy October to you all!!!  

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#12 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View PostGoing to be lurking here... I am a spiritual eccletic... who has strong pagan inclinations. <3

Welcome and mm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostI am going to be a witch as I am every year just like you, Maia!  :)  I wear a long black skirt, green and black leggings with my mary jane doc martens and a hat.  I have a shirt I have worn the past few years that is sparkly with a cat jumping over a pumpkin or something that I bought after the holiday a few years back.  I might look for something new this year.  Maybe.  

This year I am going to try to make a picture family tree for Z for Samhain.  For me, too, I suppose.  We'll see how it works out.

Yay for Witches! Your outfit sounds way cooler than mine.

I made a family tree for ds when he was 3 or so! Gawd, are we twins? It was easy and pretty cool. All I did was make a giant tree on posterboard with I think crayons, and then Xeroxed family members' photos (so he couldn't destroy the originals) and pasted them on. It worked for a couple of years smile.gif

#13 of 96 Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Oh right! DH's interview. He think it went well, though we'll find out by sometime tomorrow whether he's made it to round 2.

#14 of 96 Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Elizabeth Warren lol.gif

I'm always a witch. Because I'm a Witch. And it's easy to wear a long black dress, my combat boots-- though I would LOVE to find decent stripey socks and some sort of clunky shoes that won't kill my feet walking around for hours trick-or-treating-- and my gorgeous black crocheted witch's hat that I paid $70 and am really thinking of getting rid of, since it was an impulse buy at PSG and I only wear it once a year shrug.gif

DS wants to be some character from Assassin's Creed, which is a video game he hasn't even played-- just heard about. And the guy is so dang complicated, we'll never find the things he needs to be that guy. Or even make them, cause it's really, really complicated looking. Ugh. Why can't he choose something simple?

Sugar Sprite-- someone who takes all the candy? I think I used to do that when ds was really little, but since he was about 5, I let him go to town on all the candy he wants to consume in the following 24 hours, THEN I ration it out. This year, since Halloween is on a school night, that won't happen. He can have *some*, and stay up a little late, but he'll have to wait till the weekend for the Big Candy Fest.

Ritual garb-- most people here just wear really pretty flowy things, robes and such. I wear a long dress, usually, or skirt. Don't worry about inappropriate-- IMO "ritual garb" is individual. If you say it's YOUR ritual garb, then it is! Plus it's a UU-- who cares, it's not a coven winky.gif And, you said "encourage", not "require". I usually wear black for Samhain, if that helps.

I swear I had this small box full of things that were my grandmother's-- little trinkets, like paper umbrellas from drinks and stuff-- and I can NOT find it. I am going out of my mind with this. I swear it was up on my closet shelf, and it is not anywhere to be found in my room, and I would not have stored it anywhere else. Now I am doubting it ever existed, but I know it is the one thing I got from her apartment after she died. Dang. I am going to tear this house right up. I wanted some of that stuff on my altar. GRRR.

The crocheted hat sounds neat; I'd definitely keep it. Plus, it just encourages me that I need to learn how to crochet (after the holidays and I've finished all the sweaters I need to get done).

The kids get to eat candy on Halloween night (though I do try to pump them full of healthy food before we go trick-or-treating), but then at night, they leave the candy out for the sugar sprite who takes all the candy in exchange for a toy. Because of my eldest child's bad teeth, I rather her binge one night and be done than have a little bit of candy over a long period of time.

I hope you find the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

Going to be lurking here... I am a spiritual eccletic... who has strong pagan inclinations. <3

Welcome.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Mamas, mamas!  I'm here! I'm here! 

I love October!! It's my birthday month!!  Hooray!!  

What is a Sugar Sprite?  

I love all the costume ideas.  Z is going to be a cow (my dad is a dairy farmer, how appropriate - but I totally got the costume from a friend).  I am going to be a witch as I am every year just like you, Maia!  :)  I wear a long black skirt, green and black leggings with my mary jane doc martens and a hat.  I have a shirt I have worn the past few years that is sparkly with a cat jumping over a pumpkin or something that I bought after the holiday a few years back.  I might look for something new this year.  Maybe.  

This year I am going to try to make a picture family tree for Z for Samhain.  For me, too, I suppose.  We'll see how it works out.  I always seem to have high hopes for the holidays and then.... *kaput*

Witchy, how was DH's interview??  Sending good energy!!

hi amlikam!  

Happy, happy October to you all!!!  

When's your birthday? Are you old enough that I can't ask how old you're turning? ROTFLMAO.gifA cow sounds cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Oh right! DH's interview. He think it went well, though we'll find out by sometime tomorrow whether he's made it to round 2.

Keep us updated!

#15 of 96 Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Subbing!

Hope to connect more this month...

I'm already in the turned-inward-dark-season-reflective state... I must be really low on vit.D despite spending tons of time in the sun all summer...

Valérie   
#16 of 96 Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I made a family tree for ds when he was 3 or so! Gawd, are we twins? It was easy and pretty cool. All I did was make a giant tree on posterboard with I think crayons, and then Xeroxed family members' photos (so he couldn't destroy the originals) and pasted them on. It worked for a couple of years smile.gif

Yes, Maia, we are twins.  lol.gif  I like the idea of Xeroxing the pics.  I will share with my inlaws as that may be the only way I get my hands on pics of that side for Z.  It's so different, in my family we looked at old albums all. the. time.  I can tell you stories about people I never met but who are in my family.  But on DH's side...nothing.  I'd never seen pictures of his grandparents until last year and we've been together since 1999!!  so weird to me.  To each his own, though.  Maybe there's some hidden, dark stories they don't want to share or something!!   ooh, I'd love to know!

Quote:

fingersx.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

The kids get to eat candy on Halloween night (though I do try to pump them full of healthy food before we go trick-or-treating), but then at night, they leave the candy out for the sugar sprite who takes all the candy in exchange for a toy. Because of my eldest child's bad teeth, I rather her binge one night and be done than have a little bit of candy over a long period of time.

When's your birthday? Are you old enough that I can't ask how old you're turning? ROTFLMAO.gifA cow sounds cute!

I'm totally stealing the sugar sprite idea when Z gets older and does more ToTing.  Knowing her (taurus-y) bull headed-ness she will NOT want anything to do with a toy and will just want the candy.  haha.  

My birthday is the 10th.  I will be 33.  I hope I will always tell people my age and be proud of it.  Ya know?  Proud to have made it this far!  

How is moving in going???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Subbing!

I'm already in the turned-inward-dark-season-reflective state... I must be really low on vit.D despite spending tons of time in the sun all summer...

Hi Valerie!!!!!  

Well, mamas, I am having my wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow.  Please send lots of healing energy the way of my mouth!  I'm nervous!!  I really am hoping to not be in tooo much pain for days.  Anyone know of any homeopathic remedies I can use to help speed up healing, lessen swelling (I have arnica), and/or pain?  I'm really, really, not excited about having Rx Pain Meds.  Or being under anesthesia.  But...heeeeeere we go!! My sissy is taking me - send her lots of patience!! ha!! 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#17 of 96 Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

For the month, I had wanted to read to my eldest The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury, due to the cross-cultural/historical survey it provides of Samhain and ancestor worship, but unfortunately, after a few chapters my five year old didn't want to continue reading (despite that she enjoyed the movie in the past - which we'll probably watch again this October - which makes me suspect the reading level is a bit too high still and I might try again next year). We read Ghost Wings by Barbara Joosse last year, which we will probably repeat this year.

I love Ghost Wings.  Clatter Bash is also a favourite.  Haven't heard of the Halloween Tree - will have to look that up.  Thanks for the rec.  I was just emailing my library about getting more books about Day of the Dead for children, as we celebrate it.  My children are being raised Catholic, due to a commitment I made to do so when we married (though I'm ambivalent) and All Saint's Day is important to us. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

This is how I describe myself, almost exactly.  Welcome, amlikam!

Quote:

My birthday is the 10th.  I will be 33.  I hope I will always tell people my age and be proud of it.  Ya know?  Proud to have made it this far!  

Well, mamas, I am having my wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow.  Please send lots of healing energy the way of my mouth!  I'm nervous!!  I really am hoping to not be in tooo much pain for days.  Anyone know of any homeopathic remedies I can use to help speed up healing, lessen swelling (I have arnica), and/or pain?  I'm really, really, not excited about having Rx Pain Meds.  Or being under anesthesia.  But...heeeeeere we go!! My sissy is taking me - send her lots of patience!! ha!! 

That's how I feel about birthdays.  I'm in my 40s.  I hope I can sustain it into my fifties.  

I hope you do well in your healing from the wisdom teeth surgery.  Ferr Phos homeopathic cell salts for the trauma of surgery (the first aid remedy) and Mag Phos homeopathic cell salts  (homeopathic asprin) are what I'd recommend.  

#18 of 96 Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vydalea View Post It's so different, in my family we looked at old albums all. the. time.  I can tell you stories about people I never met but who are in my family.  But on DH's side...nothing.

1) We look at pix, too, but I think the point of the tree, especially at that age (she's 3, right?) is to start to point out the relationships of the people. My ds is 11y8m and he still mixes up my nieces, his half-sister, and our babysitter (that sat him from age 2-9), because they're all the same age, roughly. But when kids are that little, 3ish or just a bit more, they don't get that parents have kids who become parents that have kids who...begot THEM, at some point. Y'know? I remember my son saying, about my mom, "when you used to have a mom" as if she stopped being my mom because I got older and had my own kid lol.gif He just.did.not.get that she was still my mom. So, the tree. I came from her and my dad, each of them were young once and had parents...and so on.

2) Happy birthday! Look-- I am nearly 53 and yes, life gets better and better, truly it does. I have no qualms about telling people my age. Actually it's fun because mostly I know I don't look anywhere near my age (nor act it, heehee) and so I just get a bang out of shocking people mischievous.gif

3) Wisdoms-- no big deal, really. I had them all out when I was 26 or so. I do have to say I raided my parents' liquor cabinet redface.gif because the MD wouldn't give me any good drugs irked.gif but I was eating pizza by day 2. Granted, I tore it into itty bitty pieces and fed myself, and chewed only on the other side, but that doesn't count, I still ate pizza lol.gif I was NOT going to exist on cottage cheese and pudding and jello! Really, though, it wasn't a big deal like I thought it was going to be. Same with root canal-- it was nothing. Such an anti-climax to my build-up of the horror! And to the pain of the bad tooth. Srsly.

#19 of 96 Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Subbing!

wave.gifGood to see you!

Quote:

I'm totally stressed out about moving. Trying not to think about it right now, since I don't join my husband out there until tomorrow and there's nothing I can do from here.

Good luck with the wisdom teeth. I had mine removed at 23 shortly after I had my second child. I did it with local anesthetic. Honestly, I struggled the most while I waited for the local anesthetic to start working... My anxiety got so bad that I even started crying a little, but when they finally removed the teeth, on one side I felt nothing and the other side I felt only a pinch. I can't believe I got myself so worked up over nothing! The recovery was different, though. It wasn't the pain that was hard...I only took an OTC pain med the first few days. It's just that I'm allergic to penicillin, so they gave me an antibiotic that made me really sick. I changed to a different one, but that one made me sick too, and there wasn't anything else I could take between my allergy and breastfeeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I love Ghost Wings.  Clatter Bash is also a favourite.  Haven't heard of the Halloween Tree - will have to look that up.  Thanks for the rec.  I was just emailing my library about getting more books about Day of the Dead for children, as we celebrate it.  My children are being raised Catholic, due to a commitment I made to do so when we married (though I'm ambivalent) and All Saint's Day is important to us. 

Aub - Is your husband Catholic? Just curious.

BTW, has anyone tried lunaception?

#20 of 96 Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Aub - Is your husband Catholic? Just curious.

BTW, has anyone tried lunaception?

Yes, he is Catholic.  I came from a background of very liberal UU-like (my parents) and conservative Baptist like (some of my extended family).  My Baptist grandmother thought me marrying a Catholic was pretty much the same as going Pagan....I was very attracted by the (for lack of a better word) magical elements of Catholicism.  I now see it as a step on the journey to an even more magickal spiritual journey.  I did make the commitment to raise my children as Catholics, though I'm not sure I would now -- and I'm not sure my dh would now ask it of me as he has become less Catholic over the years in many ways. Certainly his family are pretty liberal in their approach to Catholicism.  Anyway, an oath is an oath.  We are getting the children through their First Communion and letting them decide about Confirmation.  My oldest went for it, but the others have a few years to go yet.  I expect that after they have all gone through it, I will return to attending the sort of very liberal church I attended as a child.  Or I may seek out a Pagan community, though I'm not aware of one near me.  An earth-based spirituality is very important to me.

Hope the move goes well.  Just googled lunaception - interesting.  I've done the fertility awareness method, but not since dh got snipped a few years ago (as I said, not a conservative Catholic),   My dd and I have not synchronized cycles, which surprises me a bit. I'll have to discuss that with her. 

#21 of 96 Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM

DH has made it officially to the 2nd round.

He has to teach a lesson....at 7:30 AM. This school is half an hour away from where we live (back roads), and DD's school is 20 minutes away from where we live...in the opposite direction. Because of how my schools schedule, I only have one class that day, so I'm getting a substitute, so I can take DD to school.

If Dh gets this job, we have to hire a nanny to take care of DD and get her to school 4 days a week. And we have to buy a 2nd car. And it's just a long term sub position. The teaching he'd be subbing for could come back in December, February, June, or not at all. 

This is so stressful.

#22 of 96 Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 AM

Hi Mamas!  Thanks for all the love and advice!  Surgery went well... was put to sleep and then woke up telling the doctor and nurse we needed to have a dance party.  I was pretty insistent.  What can I say?  I was super drugged up and "girls just wanna have fun" was on the radio.  (or so my sister tells me).  I seem to be healing pretty well now.  I'm on pain meds, doing salty swishes, trying not to be a serious B to DH.  For some reason everything he does/says is making me insane.  ?  I'm blaming it on the surgery and lack of real food.  I'm usually pretty kind to my DH!!  redface.gif  

Quote:

1) We look at pix, too, but I think the point of the tree, especially at that age (she's 3, right?) is to start to point out the relationships of the people. My ds is 11y8m and he still mixes up my nieces, his half-sister, and our babysitter (that sat him from age 2-9), because they're all the same age, roughly. But when kids are that little, 3ish or just a bit more, they don't get that parents have kids who become parents that have kids who...begot THEM, at some point. Y'know? I remember my son saying, about my mom, "when you used to have a mom" as if she stopped being my mom because I got older and had my own kid lol.gif He just.did.not.get that she was still my mom. So, the tree. I came from her and my dad, each of them were young once and had parents...and so on.

2) Happy birthday! Look-- I am nearly 53 and yes, life gets better and better, truly it does. I have no qualms about telling people my age. Actually it's fun because mostly I know I don't look anywhere near my age (nor act it, heehee) and so I just get a bang out of shocking people mischievous.gif

Yes, Maia, for sure getting Z to understand the relationships is the most important part.  I think my tanget of regret was directed at my DH not knowing much about his family.  I hope the tree can help him connect to his roots, too.

I believe you 150% that life continues to get better.  I don't know why I have this fear that one day I'm going to wake up and be like so many people I see around me who are full of complaining about small stuff, living in what seems like a haze of bitterness and anger and seriously just complaining all. the. damn. time.  I always wonder how people get to be that way and I'm scared I could become like that, you know?  I don't THINK I will.  On normal days I feel pretty full of sunshine and yes, I complain, but you know the Eeyore types... I had a friend pass away from an accidental shooting when I was 13 years old.  I was deeply affected by it and realized that tomorrow is never guaranteed at such a young age which I think helps me to have a positive outlook... I'm rambling here... but I think y'all get my drift... ??  

Quote:

I'm totally stressed out about moving. Trying not to think about it right now, since I don't join my husband out there until tomorrow and there's nothing I can do from here.

om.gif  ommm... to you.  I send you lots of patience getting through every step it takes to get the house ready and move and all that jazz.  

Quote:

Yes, he is Catholic.  I came from a background of very liberal UU-like (my parents) and conservative Baptist like (some of my extended family).  My Baptist grandmother thought me marrying a Catholic was pretty much the same as going Pagan....I was very attracted by the (for lack of a better word) magical elements of Catholicism.  I now see it as a step on the journey to an even more magickal spiritual journey.  I did make the commitment to raise my children as Catholics, though I'm not sure I would now -- and I'm not sure my dh would now ask it of me as he has become less Catholic over the years in many ways. Certainly his family are pretty liberal in their approach to Catholicism.  Anyway, an oath is an oath.  We are getting the children through their First Communion and letting them decide about Confirmation.  My oldest went for it, but the others have a few years to go yet.  I expect that after they have all gone through it, I will return to attending the sort of very liberal church I attended as a child.  Or I may seek out a Pagan community, though I'm not aware of one near me.  An earth-based spirituality is very important to me.

I respect your "an oath is an oath" mentality.  Do your children know you made that oath and how your spiritual beliefs line up?  I would think that them knowing that you made that oath and followed through on it would be a really amazing spiritual lesson.  

He has to teach a lesson....at 7:30 AM. This school is half an hour away from where we live (back roads), and DD's school is 20 minutes away from where we live...in the opposite direction. Because of how my schools schedule, I only have one class that day, so I'm getting a substitute, so I can take DD to school.

If Dh gets this job, we have to hire a nanny to take care of DD and get her to school 4 days a week. And we have to buy a 2nd car. And it's just a long term sub position. The teaching he'd be subbing for could come back in December, February, June, or not at all. 

This is so stressful.

Witchy!  Wow.  That sounds very complicated and like you have some numbers to run through if he gets the job.  I will be thinking of you.  

What is everyone up to this weekend?  Obviously, I'm spending a lot of time on the couch, watching movies from the 90s and reading magazines.  I hope everyone has a good, simple weekend. 

#23 of 96 Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostIf Dh gets this job, we have to hire a nanny to take care of DD and get her to school 4 days a week.

Oh, I so wish I could do that for you! I wish you owned the upstairs place so that you could kick out the current tenants and we could move in and I could nanny for partial rent. That would be so divine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vydalea View Post I don't know why I have this fear that one day I'm going to wake up and be like so many people I see around me who are full of complaining about small stuff, living in what seems like a haze of bitterness and anger and seriously just complaining all. the. damn. time. 

What is everyone up to this weekend?  Obviously, I'm spending a lot of time on the couch, watching movies from the 90s and reading magazines.  I hope everyone has a good, simple weekend. 

I know! I do NOT want to be like all the old people I know. Including my own mom! She's going to be 76 in December. And I wonder if she's always been so crotchety or is just getting that way?

My brother's girls are 23 and 18, while my ds is only 11, and he says she was always like that. Even though he's younger than me by 3.4 years, he has a leg up on remembering what my mom was like when his girls were little. She hasn't changed in that dept. She's a "glam-ma", not a "grandma"... *sigh*. She loves all her grandkids, but would NEVER get down on the floor with them. And her expectations for behavior are WAY too high.

I have noticed that my own morals have gotten more conservative over the years. My politics are still way liberal. I'm a weird mix. I think it's appalling, for instance, wearing a mini-dress in church (any church), and I don't like seeing what I think is the moral degradation of the US. We've gone SO downhill. We have no respect anymore and I think that's awful-- however, I don't think it has anything to do with removing prayer in school lol.gif

I mean-- yesterday, I saw a small bumper sticker on the back of a vehicle. It was the gay rainbow-flag with "F**K HATE" in large letters superimposed. Now, I understand that gays should have equal rights. I'm all for it. I can't stand the atmosphere of hate surrounding minorities. However, the F-word, right there on the back of a truck? What if my ds was just learning to read? How do I explain that? That is NOT NOT NOT OK in my book. Swear words should remain swear words. They have their place, but on the back of a truck where anyone can see it is NOT it.

When I was a kid, the word s*cks was just as bad if not worse than f*ck. I would have had my mouth washed out with soap for saying that in front of my parents. Or any adult. Now, it's so commonplace that my ds11 has trouble believing it was ever a Bad Word. I think that kind of thing is too bad. I would like to see us returning to more respectful behavior and decorum in public.

That said, I'm glad my 75yo mom is still a leadfoot in the car ROTFLMAO.gif-- at least she doesn't drive like Florida Old People.

#24 of 96 Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Mamas!  Thanks for all the love and advice!  Surgery went well... was put to sleep and then woke up telling the doctor and nurse we needed to have a dance party.  

A dance party! ROTFLMAO.gif  Too funny!  

How are you feeling now?

#25 of 96 Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Hope the move goes well.  Just googled lunaception - interesting.  I've done the fertility awareness method, but not since dh got snipped a few years ago (as I said, not a conservative Catholic),   My dd and I have not synchronized cycles, which surprises me a bit. I'll have to discuss that with her. 

What an interesting spiritual journey. What does your eldest think of having a Pagan mama raising her Catholic?

Quote:

DH has made it officially to the 2nd round.

This is so stressful.

So much uncertainty! I hope everything works out for the best, mama!

Quote:

Hi Mamas!  Thanks for all the love and advice!  Surgery went well... was put to sleep and then woke up telling the doctor and nurse we needed to have a dance party.  I was pretty insistent.  What can I say?  I was super drugged up and "girls just wanna have fun" was on the radio.  (or so my sister tells me).  I seem to be healing pretty well now.  I'm on pain meds, doing salty swishes, trying not to be a serious B to DH.  For some reason everything he does/says is making me insane.  ?  I'm blaming it on the surgery and lack of real food.  I'm usually pretty kind to my DH!!  redface.gif  

Yes, Maia, for sure getting Z to understand the relationships is the most important part.  I think my tanget of regret was directed at my DH not knowing much about his family.  I hope the tree can help him connect to his roots, too.

I believe you 150% that life continues to get better.  I don't know why I have this fear that one day I'm going to wake up and be like so many people I see around me who are full of complaining about small stuff, living in what seems like a haze of bitterness and anger and seriously just complaining all. the. damn. time.  I always wonder how people get to be that way and I'm scared I could become like that, you know?  I don't THINK I will.  On normal days I feel pretty full of sunshine and yes, I complain, but you know the Eeyore types... I had a friend pass away from an accidental shooting when I was 13 years old.  I was deeply affected by it and realized that tomorrow is never guaranteed at such a young age which I think helps me to have a positive outlook... I'm rambling here... but I think y'all get my drift... ??  

I respect your "an oath is an oath" mentality.  Do your children know you made that oath and how your spiritual beliefs line up?  I would think that them knowing that you made that oath and followed through on it would be a really amazing spiritual lesson.  

Witchy!  Wow.  That sounds very complicated and like you have some numbers to run through if he gets the job.  I will be thinking of you.  

LOL on the dance party! How's the healing coming? We worked on the house and worked on the house and bickered some about how to work on the house and worked on the house. I'm so eager to just MOVE already!

Quote:

I have noticed that my own morals have gotten more conservative over the years. My politics are still way liberal. I'm a weird mix. I think it's appalling, for instance, wearing a mini-dress in church (any church), and I don't like seeing what I think is the moral degradation of the US. We've gone SO downhill. We have no respect anymore and I think that's awful-- however, I don't think it has anything to do with removing prayer in school lol.gif

I mean-- yesterday, I saw a small bumper sticker on the back of a vehicle. It was the gay rainbow-flag with "F**K HATE" in large letters superimposed. Now, I understand that gays should have equal rights. I'm all for it. I can't stand the atmosphere of hate surrounding minorities. However, the F-word, right there on the back of a truck? What if my ds was just learning to read? How do I explain that? That is NOT NOT NOT OK in my book. Swear words should remain swear words. They have their place, but on the back of a truck where anyone can see it is NOT it.

When I was a kid, the word s*cks was just as bad if not worse than f*ck. I would have had my mouth washed out with soap for saying that in front of my parents. Or any adult. Now, it's so commonplace that my ds11 has trouble believing it was ever a Bad Word. I think that kind of thing is too bad. I would like to see us returning to more respectful behavior and decorum in public.

That said, I'm glad my 75yo mom is still a leadfoot in the car ROTFLMAO.gif-- at least she doesn't drive like Florida Old People.

I've become more conservative since becoming a mama, but I was so far left to begin with that people still think I'm pretty liberal. I'd love to see more respect in public spaces, but mini dresses don't bother me. I'd love it if as a culture we became better about respecting each others' time (like so many people just sort of schedule everything with the assumption that it will actually start about half an hour later than agreed upon); smoking in public places was about as acceptable as pooping in public; etc... But I don't mind if my kids swear if it's done in a respectful way (only in front of people they know wouldn't be offended like me; not done to insult someone; etc...).

My SIL called this morning. She lives out of state but is in town due to green card stuff, and now she wants to come over for dinner. I'm trying not to freak out: we're in the process of moving with kids, so it's okay the house is kinda messy, right? Of course she doesn't have kids...

#26 of 96 Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI've become more conservative since becoming a mama, but I was so far left to begin with that people still think I'm pretty liberal. I'd love to see more respect in public spaces, but mini dresses don't bother me. I'd love it if as a culture we became better about respecting each others' time (like so many people just sort of schedule everything with the assumption that it will actually start about half an hour later than agreed upon); smoking in public places was about as acceptable as pooping in public; etc... But I don't mind if my kids swear if it's done in a respectful way (only in front of people they know wouldn't be offended like me; not done to insult someone; etc...).

My SIL called this morning. She lives out of state but is in town due to green card stuff, and now she wants to come over for dinner. I'm trying not to freak out: we're in the process of moving with kids, so it's okay the house is kinda messy, right? Of course she doesn't have kids...

I'm politically liberal as heck. Mini dresses don't bother me, either-- but in their place, and church is not it. People are not there to show off their bodies, but to commune with the Divine, and clothing can be distracting in that regard!

Pagan Standard Time-- ain't nothing more rude than that, IMO. I agree about respectful of time!

My ds asked, a couple of years ago-- he was about 8-- when he would be allowed to swear. I told him that when he is able to catch himself and NOT swear, in the proper company, then he could. For instance, he has to be able to not slip in front of my mom, in church, in front of me or any other adult, at school...you get it. If he is playing in the backyard and stubs his toe and my bedroom window is open and I might be in there, nope, no swearing. Needless to say, he is not allowed to swear yet lol.gif

Your SIL-- heck, yes, it's fine if the house is kinda messy. You're moving. You have kids. She can Deal With It, right?

M has 44 days sober today! On purpose! joy.gif

#27 of 96 Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Joining in - I've spent the past couple of months really thinking about what I believe and realized that I'm Pagan! I believe in the sacredness of Nature and that's there's an energy/spirit(?) that connects every living thing together. I believe in random reincarnation. At least that's what I've concluded so far. Still figuring out other stuff but I feel comfortable calling myself a Pagan.

I want my family to celebrate the seasons and the power of Nature so we're going to celebrate Samhain this year! I'm planning on cooking a whole chicken I have in the freezer and cooking seasonal veggies - a feast! As far as the spiritual side...not sure. I was thinking about honoring the dead and setting a place for them but I don't want our first Pagan holiday to be too morbid. Any ideas? What does your family do? This is my first year in San Diego after living all my life in Seattle and it doesn't feel like Fall at all. Thanks!!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#28 of 96 Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Welcome kaydove!  If we lived so close to Mexico, I'd definitely be investigating any Day of the Dead celebrations near home.  Visiting a parade or a Mexican market or a cemetery, especially a historic one, or a memorial of some sort would be potentially great family outings do, even if you don't personally have ancestors buried near you.  You could go through photo albums or collect pictures of your own ancestors and teach your children about them, maybe.

We celebrate Halloween, La Dia de los Muertos and All Saints Day (we go to a party where we come as our fave saint, real or legendary.)  I mention Samhain, but do not insist upon that observance.  One of the things I love about this time of year is that I do NOT feel obligated to prepare a feast.  I do not actually like "food holidays" much.   On November 11, we celebrate Remembrance Day (the Canadian version of Memorial Day) and so there is a Samhainish window of time in early November where we remember loved ones who have passed on and also those who have died in wars past and present.  

Well, I don't actually call myself Pagan - I say "spiritually eclectic" or that I have never left my first UUlike upbringing and that it is a big enough spiritual umbrella to accommodate a couple of decades of a side adventure in raising my children in Catholicism. They are aware that mom converses with plants and trees and follows the moon and dabbles in spells and oracles and astrology and yoga and chakra meditation and does Treasure Maps and all sorts of New Agery. We sweep out our house every new moon and ring a bell on some of them to clean out negative energy, for example - my kids love doing this.   My dd does some of the oracle stuff herself, though the teachings of the RC church are against it. The children  are aware of and support my dh and I's beliefs in equal rights for LGBT people and for women, the use of birth control, etc. etc. They even share them at church groups - my youngest piped up once and explained that in our country (Canada) boys can marry boys when they grow up, but just not in the Catholic church. No one argued with him. We do not pretend to be a "good" Catholic family in the sense of 100% supporting the official teachings of the church. We are giving our children the experience of church attendance and the opportunity of initiation into the faith - while exposing them to many other beliefs. They have cousins who were also raised Catholic and have either become more devout than us or who have chosen not to go through with Confirmation and to totally leave the church, so they see both paths as options, I think.

I am almost constitutionally incapable of wanting to impose my beliefs on other people and incapable of believing that there is any one right way to do anything.  I don't actually have any strict spiritual beliefs or values that I need my children to hold, except tolerance for the beliefs of others. I am grateful to live in a time and place and in a community where I have the freedom to live and believe as I choose. It is not something I take for granted and one of the few things I would fight to protect if I had to.

I didn't actually even want to formally get married - there was lots of divorce in my family  and I didn't believe in marriage, really.  Hated the idea of ever having a wedding, in fact.  But it was important to my dh and so we went through with it.  I do NOT mean to say that my experience is true for anyone else or that divorce is wrong for anyone else or for any particular circumstances.  However, I found to my great surprise that the wedding ceremony really was a Binding with a capital B between dh and I.  I would find it hard to imagine what the spiritual consequences to me personally would be in breaking the vows spoken in that moment, including the vow to raise children in that faith.  I've seen others of the sacraments administered - Confession and Last Rites, especially, and the effect of both can be transformative and powerful.  

Quote:

Quote:

What an interesting spiritual journey. What does your eldest think of having a Pagan mama raising her Catholic?

#29 of 96 Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Hey, Mamas!!  My teeth are feeling so much better, thank you for asking.  I'm down to just taking OTC pain killers and anitbiotics (to fight bacterial infection) along with salty rinses so life is getting much easier to bare, you know pain wise/food eating wise.  I ate baba ghanouj last night with pita.  Of course, i ripped the pita into pieces the size of my thumbnail but it was NOT yogurt, soup or applesauce so I was in heaven!!  yummy.gif

Quote:

LOL on the dance party! How's the healing coming? We worked on the house and worked on the house and bickered some about how to work on the house and worked on the house. I'm so eager to just MOVE already!

I've become more conservative since becoming a mama, but I was so far left to begin with that people still think I'm pretty liberal. I'd love to see more respect in public spaces, but mini dresses don't bother me. I'd love it if as a culture we became better about respecting each others' time (like so many people just sort of schedule everything with the assumption that it will actually start about half an hour later than agreed upon); smoking in public places was about as acceptable as pooping in public; etc... But I don't mind if my kids swear if it's done in a respectful way (only in front of people they know wouldn't be offended like me; not done to insult someone; etc...).

Did SIL end up coming over?  When I am in similar situations (house is slightly more disastrous than normal mess levels) I just say The house is a mess since child raising in progress!  Or something along those lines.  I saw it on pinterest once and thought, OH YEAH I'm using that.  thumb.gif

Quote:

I am so, so happy in my heart when I read this!!  heartbeat.gif  Way to go, M!  Sending him lots of strength, you too, of course!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

Joining in - I've spent the past couple of months really thinking about what I believe and realized that I'm Pagan! I believe in the sacredness of Nature and that's there's an energy/spirit(?) that connects every living thing together. I believe in random reincarnation. At least that's what I've concluded so far. Still figuring out other stuff but I feel comfortable calling myself a Pagan.
I want my family to celebrate the seasons and the power of Nature so we're going to celebrate Samhain this year! I'm planning on cooking a whole chicken I have in the freezer and cooking seasonal veggies - a feast! As far as the spiritual side...not sure. I was thinking about honoring the dead and setting a place for them but I don't want our first Pagan holiday to be too morbid. Any ideas? What does your family do? This is my first year in San Diego after living all my life in Seattle and it doesn't feel like Fall at all. Thanks!!

Hey Kaydove!!  Welcome!!  Last year DH and I just spoke about the people that we've lost - talking about what we remember about them, times that made us laugh.  And we lit a special candle on the table that night.  

Quote:

Well, I don't actually call myself Pagan - I say "spiritually eclectic" or that I have never left my first UUlike upbringing and that it is a big enough spiritual umbrella to accommodate a couple of decades of a side adventure in raising my children in Catholicism. They are aware that mom converses with plants and trees and follows the moon and dabbles in spells and oracles and astrology and yoga and chakra meditation and does Treasure Maps and all sorts of New Agery. We sweep out our house every new moon and ring a bell on some of them to clean out negative energy, for example - my kids love doing this.   My dd does some of the oracle stuff herself, though the teachings of the RC church are against it. The children  are aware of and support my dh and I's beliefs in equal rights for LGBT people and for women, the use of birth control, etc. etc. They even share them at church groups - my youngest piped up once and explained that in our country (Canada) boys can marry boys when they grow up, but just not in the Catholic church. No one argued with him. We do not pretend to be a "good" Catholic family in the sense of 100% supporting the official teachings of the church. We are giving our children the experience of church attendance and the opportunity of initiation into the faith - while exposing them to many other beliefs. They have cousins who were also raised Catholic and have either become more devout than us or who have chosen not to go through with Confirmation and to totally leave the church, so they see both paths as options, I think.

I am almost constitutionally incapable of wanting to impose my beliefs on other people and incapable of believing that there is any one right way to do anything.  I don't actually have any strict spiritual beliefs or values that I need my children to hold, except tolerance for the beliefs of others. I am grateful to live in a time and place and in a community where I have the freedom to live and believe as I choose. It is not something I take for granted and one of the few things I would fight to protect if I had to.

I didn't actually even want to formally get married - there was lots of divorce in my family  and I didn't believe in marriage, really.  Hated the idea of ever having a wedding, in fact.  But it was important to my dh and so we went through with it.  I do NOT mean to say that my experience is true for anyone else or that divorce is wrong for anyone else or for any particular circumstances.  However, I found to my great surprise that the wedding ceremony really was a Binding with a capital B between dh and I.  I would find it hard to imagine what the spiritual consequences to me personally would be in breaking the vows spoken in that moment, including the vow to raise children in that faith.  I've seen others of the sacraments administered - Confession and Last Rites, especially, and the effect of both can be transformative and powerful.  

How beautifully articulated, Aubergine!  I appreciate that you are exposing your children to other beliefs.  How are you going about that?  I'd like to do the same thing with Zoey but I am always nervous about possibly offending people in their places of worship with my lack of information.  If that makes any sense... for example, what I wear (do I need to have a head covering or my shoulders covered).  I suppose I should just go out and get me some BIG GIRL PANTIES and ask questions before I attend... 

Somehow I didn't quote what everyone was saying about values, etc.  But I will chime in and say YES RESPECT!!  I am a true believer that there are many paths to the well.  Also, why do people have to be MEAN?  Just be kind.  What the heck ever happened to basic values like these?  *sigh*

So, yesterday was the big b-day!  It was low key and fun.  My sissy poo, BIL and my DH are headed out for some celebrating this Saturday.  Watch out world, I think I'm gonna eat a SANDWICH!  haha.  

Something really WEIRD happened yesterday though... I found this email that I had printed out from a person with whom I had ended a friendship with soon after Z was born.  Actually, she was my closest friend before I had her.  You know how it goes, things change but the falling out was really volatile and full of toxicity.  I kept the email to remind me why I had ended the friendship... but when I came across it yesterday I thought, that's dumb.  Why keep such a negative thing in my peace?  So I took it outside to burn it in the yard.  Nerd alert: I was careful not to get the ashes in my garden because I didn't want my veggies to grow in negativity next year.  Not 8 hours later she pops up on my facebook!  ISN'T THAT WILD?!!  She has had me blocked for 2 years where I haven't been able to even know she exists on facebook (which has been good and I harbor no ill feelings for her, just sadness that she is so unhappy) and the day I burn the email there she is... any insight??  I'm going to try to cross post this in the TM thread as I have a bunch of "let go" and "let it be" stuff on there... 

#30 of 96 Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I'm a slacker Pagan mama, and I only marginally involve my kids. I inflict family stories on them. Last year we made a family tree (with the ancestors as roots instead of branches), but I don't expect to have much time for genealogical research to make it worth making another one this year. We generally spruce up our ancestor altar. We are moving back to the city where my parents raised me as a child, and I have a certain love of its local history. There's a very old Catholic cemetery near my parents' home that I loved as a child and would love to share with my kids, but given my eldest child's love of pioneers, I hope to find time to take them to a somewhat abandoned pioneer cemetery (that according to local lore is haunted) for a picnic. I'd love one day to take my kids on a trip to where my grandparents are buried, but given how long of a trip it is, we're saving it for when they are older.  But for Samhain night? I have little kids: they just go trick-or-treating. This year, I've thought about trying to spend a little time after ToTing with my eldest to do some divination, but we'll see: she might be too amped up on sugar or exhausted.

Quote:

I don't actually have any strict spiritual beliefs or values that I need my children to hold, except tolerance for the beliefs of others. I am grateful to live in a time and place and in a community where I have the freedom to live and believe as I choose. It is not something I take for granted and one of the few things I would fight to protect if I had to.

I didn't actually even want to formally get married - there was lots of divorce in my family  and I didn't believe in marriage, really.  Hated the idea of ever having a wedding, in fact.  But it was important to my dh and so we went through with it.  I do NOT mean to say that my experience is true for anyone else or that divorce is wrong for anyone else or for any particular circumstances.  However, I found to my great surprise that the wedding ceremony really was a Binding with a capital B between dh and I.  I would find it hard to imagine what the spiritual consequences to me personally would be in breaking the vows spoken in that moment, including the vow to raise children in that faith.  I've seen others of the sacraments administered - Confession and Last Rites, especially, and the effect of both can be transformative an

I definitely agree that the only belief I really want my kids to have as adults is tolerance for others. We live in a wonderfully diverse neighborhood, religiously, with a very large Muslim population and also a very large Mexican Catholic population. I do worry it will be harder to raise my daughter with that kind of tolerance moving to a much, much more WASPish neighborhood, and I don't know if being part of an interfaith family helps by itself. My partner feels differently, though: I think he'd really like them to have some amount of Jewish identity. He grew up in an interfaith family and very assimilated, but he and his brothers still see themselves as Jewish (though my husband would say culturally and racially, not religiously).

I sometimes wonder if I'd see my marriage differently if we had had a ceremony rather than just had a friend of ours who had internet ordination sign off on the marriage certificate, drop it off at city hall, and then my brand new husband went to work. Of course I feel committed to my partner, but for me, there isn't this one moment that bound us together, but just this cumulative effect of having dated since we were fourteen...I've spent my entire adult years with him and can't imagine what being an adult would be without him.

Quote:

So, yesterday was the big b-day!  It was low key and fun.  My sissy poo, BIL and my DH are headed out for some celebrating this Saturday.  Watch out world, I think I'm gonna eat a SANDWICH!  haha.  

Something really WEIRD happened yesterday though... I found this email that I had printed out from a person with whom I had ended a friendship with soon after Z was born.  Actually, she was my closest friend before I had her.  You know how it goes, things change but the falling out was really volatile and full of toxicity.  I kept the email to remind me why I had ended the friendship... but when I came across it yesterday I thought, that's dumb.  Why keep such a negative thing in my peace?  So I took it outside to burn it in the yard.  Nerd alert: I was careful not to get the ashes in my garden because I didn't want my veggies to grow in negativity next year.  Not 8 hours later she pops up on my facebook!  ISN'T THAT WILD?!!  She has had me blocked for 2 years where I haven't been able to even know she exists on facebook (which has been good and I harbor no ill feelings for her, just sadness that she is so unhappy) and the day I burn the email there she is... any insight??  I'm going to try to cross post this in the TM thread as I have a bunch of "let go" and "let it be" stuff on there... 

Happy birthday! I hope you have fun tomorrow!

I will continue working on the house. I've been a little disappointed at our skill with some of the stuff, but I'm sure we're get better as we slowly renovate the house. Still, we have reached the point where I can actually see us moving soon. We've also decided to try school for my eldest. She'll start in November, and then we will re-evaluate over the winter holiday about whether we want to continue school or pull her and start homeschooling. Now I just need to get the paperwork together. I definitely worry about the religious exemption letter for vaccines the most. Have any of you written a vax exemption letter as a Pagan? Tomorrow at the nature center near our home, they host a harvest festival. I plan to take the kids to that before I head out to the house. I definitely have started to find more peace in my life as I've gotten to a place where I feel more able to commit: yes, we are moving here; yes, my child will go to school there; etc... And I'm sure I'll feel better once our lives aren't scattered between two homes: I constantly find myself looking for stuff that's already been packed, that's already at the other house, that I tore house apart looking for and I'm just hoping it is already at the other house....

What does everyone else have planned for this weekend? How are your preparations for Samhain going?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page