"Simply" Catholic Mamas in the Year of Faith - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hebaume, we're explaining to our almost 4-year-old that the pope is in charge of the Church kind of like Daddy is in charge of our family, and our pastor is in charge of our parish, and you could point out other authority figures in her life. We talk about virtues a lot as part of developing discipline. It helps us to talk about how she needs to work on being obedient to us, and we also work to be obedient to religious and civil authorities, including the pope. We pray for the pope regularly and "for the intentions of the pope" before Bible reading and saying the rosary, which the pope (Benedict) gave to us as plenary indulgences in this year of faith. We talk about that Jesus gave Peter (and therefore Pope Francis) the ability to give special graces to give to the people in the Church to help us to get to heaven. We tell the Bible stories about Peter and the other disciples. We talk some about the different titles of the pope such as "Peter," "Bishop of Rome," and "Servant of the servants of God." When she asks questions that I don't have answers in simple words, I answer her in complicated words. Sometimes, she asks me to try to define those words, sometimes she just accepts my answers at face value. Of course much of it goes over her head, and that's OK. We're talking about teaching children who have not even reached the age of reason. Just tell the stories. Tell them about the great mysteries of the Church. They're not going to understand it all, but be prepared to be amazed at what they remember and the questions they ask. 3 is such a wonderful age for absorbing information. I can tell DD the same stories and talk about the same ideas day after day. During Advent, every night before bed, I told DD stories from the Old Testament about people waiting for the Messiah, and now she refers to the Bible as "the story we talk about in all nights." This is the beauty of being raised Catholic. Children learn things even before they really understand it, and they just accept that it is the way it is, and as they grow, they add to that and grow in understanding. It doesn't matter that they understand who the pope is and what he does. It matters that they hear that we have a pope, and that's important and wonderful, and we include our children in praying for him.
#32 of 43 Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM

We have been trying to point out the new pope anytime that we see him on TV to our two year old son, John Paul. Since he is named after a pope, we have always pointed out pictures of Pope John Paul II so he knows a pope wears white. Then he would see Pope Benedict and call him Pope John Paul but we would correct home and say, "no that is Pope Benedict." He learned to distinguish between the two popes. He started calling Pope Francis, Benedict but we correct him and now when he sees the new pope he says "Pope Saint Francis". There is still some work ahead of us...

#33 of 43 Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Hey everyone. I seem to recall a while ago there was a forum for NFP here. I haven't been doing anything with mothering.com except reading the digest emails on this thread, but now that I'm looking for it, I can't find anything specifically for Natural, just "family planning." I know there have been lots of changes. Can anyone confirm that it's gone?

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#34 of 43 Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM

In the Fertility and then Family Planning sub board there is usually a charting thread. I don't think it's only NFP users, but FAM users that might chart but use barrier methods during fertile times. You could try that thread. I think its called "charting to avoid" or something similar.
#35 of 43 Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Sarahsmiles, I think this might be what you're looking for: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1380111/charting-to-avoid-spring-2013

#36 of 43 Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Ooh, come join us at the CTA thread!  I am overwhelmed by those who use contraceptives in addition to charting, and it will be nice to have someone else who does it "right" over there!  wink1.gif

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#37 of 43 Old 09-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Hey! Just a quick hello! Came onto Mothering to take a peek around and ended up here on this thread. :)

Have gotten pretty involved in my parish. We have a new priest, two local parishes are "sharing" him and will probably be combined eventually into one parish. Still learning, still doing a lot of reading, I love it! :heartbeat

My older son has been out of college for nearly a year now and is working. My younger son just started college a week or so ago. Life is good! I feel very blessed. 

Saying a little prayer for everyone on this thread! 

ttfn!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#38 of 43 Old 01-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Is this forum still active?  I've read print copies of "Mothering" for years, but only recently joined online.  Husband and I converted (to the Church) a couple of Easters past.  It would be nice to have a space to have more in common with some of the parents on this site!  I've often felt that "Mothering" assumes its audience is secular or, if spirituality is mentioned, it seems to be directed toward something like neo-paganism - (e.g., lots about the solstice, nothing at all about religious Christmas observance, and one very memorable article sticks in my mind from years ago about the "Equinox Bunny"....) Certainly, most readers probably are within this framework.  But again, it would be nice to have something in common, albeit among few.  Also hoping that maybe conversations will be a littler kinder in a forum like this?  In the general forums, simple posts like "how do you get your child to sleep better" have an incredible capacity for becoming heated and even downright nasty.  I'm under no illusions about the Church... plenty of mean, messed up folks there, too (heck, I'm there...) but again, hoping maybe folks here will be a little more supportive? (!)

#39 of 43 Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Welcome, Lonicera! This forum hasn't been nearly as active lately as it used to be, but if you post, maybe it will become more active again. I also get some good support from the Catholic Nursing Mothers League Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/564221840282275/619142324790226/?notif_t=group_comment_reply#!/groups/102935376419378/ It's a group devoted to ecological breastfeeding as promoted by Sheila Kippley but is also a good resource for Catholic gentle discipline, mothering, etc.
#40 of 43 Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 AM

Hello Im new to the forum Im a single mom of 2 my youngest as Spina Bifida ummm any questions just ask, Yes I am Catholic

#41 of 43 Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 PM

I'm hoping this old thread will still go out to all the Catholic mamas! I searched about and couldn't find a newer one. (I'm mostly off mothering these days.)

Hope everyone is doing well and experiencing a fruitful Lent!

Looks like my daughter will be making her First Communion in a few weeks. A bit of a miscommunication with Father, the catechist, etc. Anyway, we are thrilled that it will be a very low key affair, the kids will wear white garments over their clothes, there will be a small party in the social hall, etc. Essentially the focus will NOT be on this as a social/party time which is great for me because I hate the stress, we have very short notice, and as a convert, I have NO IDEA what is expected.

The catechist did mention with CGS program, they try to discourage gifts since Jesus is the real gift received that day, but I suspect some of the Catholic family will bring something, and I would like to give something meaningful to my firstborn child on this important occasion. I don't want to buy a cheap jewelry box or something, she has plenty of rosaries, books, holy cards, etc. and we don't need more STUFF in our lives. Once again, the Catholic side of our life meets the crunchy, simple living side!

So first of all, please pray that my daughter will come to know the Lord in a special way and that I can continue to guide her on her path, and second of all, any ideas for a special gift (that can be procured in a few weeks!) would be most appreciated.

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#42 of 43 Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Sarahsmiles, congrats to your daughter! How exciting. My first son asked specifically for nothing. My second son received a cross necklace and a hand made leather scapula from his god parents. We kept it very simple as well and I love that.
For your daughter maybe a traditional lace mantilla? First communion is an excellent time to I troduce covering in the presence of our lord, a simple necklace or bracelet, a journal, a crucifix for her room? Just a few ideas.
swede likes this.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#43 of 43 Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 AM

He has risen! Alleluia!
I hope all of you mamas have a blessed Easter.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page