~*~*~December Pagan Family Thread~*~*~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 91 Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's December 8th!  Is anyone still around??


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#2 of 91 Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Kaydove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm around! My desktop stopped working so just have my Kindle.
DH has an interview coming for Amazon in Seattle next week. Other than that not much going on here.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Kaydove is offline  
#3 of 91 Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Amazon? THE Amazon? Doing what? That is really cool.

 

This thread used to be so active. I'm so sad that it's kind of petering out greensad.gif I have been on this thread for at least 7 years, and on MDC since like 2001 (but I can't figure out how to find out).

 

My contract with my realtor expires on like the 28th. I have a showing in the morning tomorrow, surprise! Haven't had one in months. Cross fingers that this one brings an offer. What a Yule gift that would be.


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#4 of 91 Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
 
DaughterOfKali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 12,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm here but completely forgot to see if there was a December thread.

 

Maiasaura- I hope they buy your house!


Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

DaughterOfKali is offline  
#5 of 91 Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Kaydove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Amazon? THE Amazon? Doing what? That is really cool.

This thread used to be so active. I'm so sad that it's kind of petering out greensad.gif I have been on this thread for at least 7 years, and on MDC since like 2001 (but I can't figure out how to find out).

Amazon started making video games. They're interviewing him for a Sr Product Manager position. I'm not certain what that position is all about but he was a Sr Producer (think movie producer but for video games). It took them a month to contact him after he applied but the next day after his phone interview they told him that they wanted to fly him up for an inperson interview which apparently is superfast for Amazon. I'm torn 50/50 about moving back up to Seattle. Dh really wants to stay in CA but due to the holidays no one else has contacted him and he only got one month severance, so we need to find something quick.

I hope they buy your house! What a wonderful Yule present that would be!

I'm taking a Kitchen Witch Holiday class next week!! I'm so excited!

My contract with my realtor expires on like the 28th. I have a showing in the morning tomorrow, surprise! Haven't had one in months. Cross fingers that this one brings an offer. What a Yule gift that would be.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Kaydove is offline  
#6 of 91 Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I'm around! My desktop stopped working so just have my Kindle.
DH has an interview coming for Amazon in Seattle next week. Other than that not much going on here.

I'm sure the Universe will lead you in the right direction.  I would not want to leave San Diego, though, from what I have heard about it!!  smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Amazon? THE Amazon? Doing what? That is really cool.

 

This thread used to be so active. I'm so sad that it's kind of petering out greensad.gif I have been on this thread for at least 7 years, and on MDC since like 2001 (but I can't figure out how to find out).

 

My contract with my realtor expires on like the 28th. I have a showing in the morning tomorrow, surprise! Haven't had one in months. Cross fingers that this one brings an offer. What a Yule gift that would be.

I also miss the days of super activity, even though I only started following a year and a half ago.  I learned so much.  I just put the sunshine you made for Yule last year on the tree with Z this weekend.  

 

Next to your name by your post it tells when you joined with your user name.  You probably know that but on the off chance it's just something you are so used to seeing all the time that you overlook it .  

 

I wish I knew some kind of house selling dance to do for you.  I will be sending every ounce of energy I have your way tomorrow morning.  heartbeat.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

I'm here but completely forgot to see if there was a December thread.

 

Maiasaura- I hope they buy your house!

Hey lady!!

 

We have our countdown stockings going full swing.  We started decorating this weekend.  We got our our Yule log and put it on our new hutch.  We also *finally!* purchased the SUN BREAD book!  It is one of Z's stocking activities to read it the day before we make the bread.  I just know she is going to love it.  Thanks for that idea, Maia!! 

 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#7 of 91 Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 PM
 
ian'smommaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: In the apothecary working with the fae.
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i am here too! things are going along really well, i have full time work as an aromatherapist blending for a candle and aromatherapy company and i am keeping up with my online stores on poppyswap and etsy really well. i am busy busy busy but it feels so good! we are a little behind at home for the decorating and such but this week we are doing it. everyone is good here, well, ds is struggling at school but otherwise he is good. 


Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
ian'smommaya is offline  
#8 of 91 Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 AM
 
revolting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Still here, though in full-holiday mode. Our family had the flu all last week, so we just got our tree. Looking through all the ornaments we've made together through the years brings me such joy! My youngest and I just started a batch of salt dough suns to make for the tree. I have two sweaters I'm blocking right now, so I only have one more sweater to finish before Yule, but of course it's the biggest one, so I try to limit my internet time, especially responding.

 

Maia - Wishing you the best of luck for the showing.

 

Kay - Let us know how the interview goes. I think living in Seattle sounds lovely.


Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

revolting is offline  
#9 of 91 Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 AM
 
amlikam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire County MA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am here too, I didn't want to start the thread but was looking for it :-)

Been busy with work, pregnancy, family, sacred ritual work last 2 weekends (ahhhhh) and not feeling the spiraling for solstice! (and christmas, we do both).
 

Conflicted with joy and sadness this year. Excited to be in a love/joy phase but kind of missing my dad who passed in October. This month has my Mom's birthday on Solstice (who passed when I was young) and my Dad's the day after Christmas... This will be the first year I celebrate without any parents. And while I feel sad about it, this ritual work I did the first weekend of the month has left me high on love and joy for the world. joy.gif

 

I feel like I am bubbling over.

I am curious how you all are handling the Christmas happenings at your kids schools, if applicable? We are blessed to have a school which does full (separate) celebrations for Chanukah, Solstice and Christmas  and that we are an "interfaith" family. But I feel kind of fustrated at how so much emphasis is place on the Christmas this year..... (maybe it is the pregnancy hormones?).

Anyhow that is where I am for now.

 

Oh one last thing to be excited about, supposedly the replacement windows for my house will be delivered and installed by the week end (I'll believe it when I see it :-) but still happy to know they have been ordered and will be happening soon. I have been in the house for over 6 yrs and the windows are well, old! My home is from a Shaker Villiage and the windows were "custom" made after the house was moved by oxen in 1860. Some of them "were updated" in the 20's or 30's.... they rattle in the wind and none of them stay open on their own... I feel like it was so important with child #2 on the way to have them replaced and we finally were able to scratch up the money. (Plus my husband is friends with someone who owns a contracting business and he was willing to front us the $$ and work on good will.) Deep blessings for this!!! So I want to celebrate!


hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

amlikam is offline  
#10 of 91 Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostNext to your name by your post it tells when you joined with your user name.  You probably know that but on the off chance it's just something you are so used to seeing all the time that you overlook it .  

 

I wish I knew some kind of house selling dance to do for you.  I will be sending every ounce of energy I have your way tomorrow morning.  heartbeat.gif

 

Hey lady!!

 

We have our countdown stockings going full swing.  We started decorating this weekend.  We got our our Yule log and put it on our new hutch.  We also *finally!* purchased the SUN BREAD book!  It is one of Z's stocking activities to read it the day before we make the bread.  I just know she is going to love it.  Thanks for that idea, Maia!! 

 

Oh. Well, who knew? ~hits self on head~ It seems I joined when ds was like a year and a half. I thought I was on here during pregnancy, but I guess not.

 

Thanks for the energy. They loved the house-- didn't like the location. There's an Industrial Park across the street and down a hill some. It's making dreadful noise right now because they're redoing the parking lot and there's big equipment. But the people even understood that-- they didn't like that you could SEE it. Well, duh, it's winter, there's no growth out there. It's all bare and dead. And the realtor didn't point that out? You can't see jack in the spring, summer, and fall. AUGH!!!! I am going to SCREAM. And now, they're suggesting I put a corner fence up. A fence??? With what money? And so I can....what, sell it? I am just so fed up. I have not had a problem with that damn industrial park for five years. Big deal you can see it for 3 months, are you freaking kidding me?
Ugh. I am just so mad.

 

You're welcome on the Sun Bread idea. We like it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Postwell, ds is struggling at school but otherwise he is good. 

 

Mine's failing. He's bloody brilliant and he's failing. Not borderline either-- but with 46s and 60s. And he's been banned from the internet for calling a classmate (online) a m***f***g d*ck. So he hasn't had internet for weeks and weeks, and I just found a note he wrote about me that makes that look like a Dick and Jane primer. And he's ELEVEN.

 

Right now, I am just so sick of being a parent. It's endless. It's relentless. HE is relentless. I thought it was bad when he was three. OMG. If I'd had any idea. It just gets worse and worse.

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View PostThis will be the first year I celebrate without any parents. And while I feel sad about it, this ritual work I did the first weekend of the month has left me high on love and joy for the world. joy.gif

 

I am curious how you all are handling the Christmas happenings at your kids schools, if applicable?

 

My home is from a Shaker Villiage and the windows were "custom" made after the house was moved by oxen in 1860. Some of them "were updated" in the 20's or 30's....

 

Boo, and yay, about your parents and the ritual work.

 

I don't think they're doing anything at my son's school, but if they did, they try sometimes almost *too* hard to be all-inclusive, to the point of being overannoying.

 

Your house sounds cool, though!


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#11 of 91 Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Aeress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Neat the Shores of Lake Erie
Posts: 6,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
Been away too long, missing my mothering forums so I stopped back in.
Hope all is well with you
Maiasaura likes this.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Aeress is offline  
#12 of 91 Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
 
DaughterOfKali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 12,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Hi All,
Been away too long, missing my mothering forums so I stopped back in.
Hope all is well with you

 

biggrinbounce.gif  Hi!!!!


Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

DaughterOfKali is offline  
#13 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 AM
 
amlikam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire County MA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok I am getting really excited about solstice now, I don't know why- well maybe it has something to do with the 5 dozen sun cookies I am making tonight for my daughters solstice event at school tomorrow. :-)

Anyhow wondering what traditions you all have (if any). Oh and maybe what songs you might sing to celebrate?


hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

amlikam is offline  
#14 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

i am here too! things are going along really well, i have full time work as an aromatherapist blending for a candle and aromatherapy company and i am keeping up with my online stores on poppyswap and etsy really well. i am busy busy busy but it feels so good! we are a little behind at home for the decorating and such but this week we are doing it. everyone is good here, well, ds is struggling at school but otherwise he is good. 

Hooray for the full time work!  By any chance do you have a go-to book that you recommend for folks who are just beginning to learn about aromatherapy.  I know basics but I'm interested in learning further and thought you might get the question a lot.  I have "learn to work with herbs and oils" on my treasure map...so i'm tryin' to get on that. haha

 

I'm sorry to hear DS is struggling at school.  Academically or otherwise?  greensad.gif  

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Still here, though in full-holiday mode. Our family had the flu all last week, so we just got our tree. Looking through all the ornaments we've made together through the years brings me such joy! My youngest and I just started a batch of salt dough suns to make for the tree. I have two sweaters I'm blocking right now, so I only have one more sweater to finish before Yule, but of course it's the biggest one, so I try to limit my internet time, especially responding.

 

I am glad everyone is feeling better now!  I am so full of awe at ppl who knit such intricate things as sweaters.  Z said to me yesterday "we should knit a dog!" and I told her that mama can only knit scarves and blankets. haha.  I have no desire to go further with my knitting right now - I just look at the cool things other ppl are making and hold them in high regard!

 

How is the new home?  Namely how is the energy there?  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

Conflicted with joy and sadness this year. Excited to be in a love/joy phase but kind of missing my dad who passed in October. This month has my Mom's birthday on Solstice (who passed when I was young) and my Dad's the day after Christmas... This will be the first year I celebrate without any parents. And while I feel sad about it, this ritual work I did the first weekend of the month has left me high on love and joy for the world. joy.gif

 

I feel like I am bubbling over.

I am curious how you all are handling the Christmas happenings at your kids schools, if applicable? We are blessed to have a school which does full (separate) celebrations for Chanukah, Solstice and Christmas  and that we are an "interfaith" family. But I feel kind of fustrated at how so much emphasis is place on the Christmas this year..... (maybe it is the pregnancy hormones?).

Anyhow that is where I am for now.

 

Oh one last thing to be excited about, supposedly the replacement windows for my house will be delivered and installed by the week end (I'll believe it when I see it :-) but still happy to know they have been ordered and will be happening soon. I have been in the house for over 6 yrs and the windows are well, old! My home is from a Shaker Villiage and the windows were "custom" made after the house was moved by oxen in 1860. Some of them "were updated" in the 20's or 30's.... they rattle in the wind and none of them stay open on their own... I feel like it was so important with child #2 on the way to have them replaced and we finally were able to scratch up the money. (Plus my husband is friends with someone who owns a contracting business and he was willing to front us the $$ and work on good will.) Deep blessings for this!!! So I want to celebrate!

Wow.  I hope you can celebrate the beautiful lives of your parents on their birthdays.  I cannot imagine what going through the holidays without my folks would be like.  However, what a great place to be in with love and joy for the world.  I have stayed away from stores as much as possible this holiday season and have put on my best "buddy the Elf" energy to pass on to the retail workers when I have been out.  Buddy might be too strong but, you know, a smiling face - a kind word.  Having been in retail for years during this time I always appreciated the kindness of people who treated me like a human.

 

Z goes to a Jewish preschool and so they have been doing Hanukkah celebrations and I love it.  I love that she is exposed to another religion - I think it helps her understand what "Happy Holidays" means - lots of people celebrating in lots of different ways.  She has Hanukkah at school, Yule at home and Christmas with her grandparents.  I also love the fact that Christmas isn't shoved down her throat.  I know they aren't listening to Christian hymns!!  I can't wait for our week of hardcore Yuletide celebration next week!! weehoo!!joy.gif

 

Check out this interesting talk by Penn Jillette "There's no War on Christmas.  Let's just spead the Joy, Man!" :: http://bigthink.com/think-tank/penn-jillette-theres-no-war-on-christmas-just-spread-the-joy-man  I found it really interesting and refreshing.  I never thought about Christmas Carols the way they are put in the written article.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 

Thanks for the energy. They loved the house-- didn't like the location. There's an Industrial Park across the street and down a hill some. It's making dreadful noise right now because they're redoing the parking lot and there's big equipment. But the people even understood that-- they didn't like that you could SEE it. Well, duh, it's winter, there's no growth out there. It's all bare and dead. And the realtor didn't point that out? You can't see jack in the spring, summer, and fall. AUGH!!!! I am going to SCREAM. And now, they're suggesting I put a corner fence up. A fence??? With what money? And so I can....what, sell it? I am just so fed up. I have not had a problem with that damn industrial park for five years. Big deal you can see it for 3 months, are you freaking kidding me?
Ugh. I am just so mad.

 

 

Mine's failing. He's bloody brilliant and he's failing. Not borderline either-- but with 46s and 60s. And he's been banned from the internet for calling a classmate (online) a m***f***g d*ck. So he hasn't had internet for weeks and weeks, and I just found a note he wrote about me that makes that look like a Dick and Jane primer. And he's ELEVEN.

 

Right now, I am just so sick of being a parent. It's endless. It's relentless. HE is relentless. I thought it was bad when he was three. OMG. If I'd had any idea. It just gets worse and worse.

 

Aiyiyi, mama!  I wish I could just give you a big, big hug right now.  hug2.gif  I don't even know what to say except that.  heartbeat.gif  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Hi All,
Been away too long, missing my mothering forums so I stopped back in.
Hope all is well with you

hey hey lady!!!  Welcome back!!! 


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#15 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

amlikam: we cross posted.  We sing "Here Comes the Sun" on Solstice coolshine.gif


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#16 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM
 
amlikam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire County MA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

amlikam: we cross posted.  We sing "Here Comes the Sun" on Solstice coolshine.gif

joy.gif LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I have been singing that song all week. This little one growing in me we call our little SunSeed. Mainly because when She (?) was conceived and implanting I had these wild dreams of the moon planting a "sun seed" in my womb.


hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

amlikam is offline  
#17 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Aeress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Neat the Shores of Lake Erie
Posts: 6,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are singing in church this Sunday, One More Circle by Peter Mayer, which will be our theme for Yule week. We are making sun dancers and maybe crowns. We are fighting colds so anything we do to get ready is a bonus!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Aeress is offline  
#18 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
 
Kaydove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the song Here Comes the Sun!
I went to Kitchen Witch class last night! It was awesome! I feel like I got a good base of understanding and not like I'm floundering anymore! Plus DH watched DD for 4 hours and she didn't cry once! The longest I've been away from her before was 1.5 hours! I SO needed that. They had tons of fun dancing and singing. A huge benefit of DH being laid off is that he gotten so much time with her and they've really bonded. He also gets more of a better picture of how intense she is. He lovingly called her a hellion last night. wink1.gif She's a handful but I wouldn't have it any other way. She's so much fun right now.

I need to find a Solistice craft. Anyone have any ideas?

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Kaydove is offline  
#19 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Yammas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies hope your all well Im interested in paganism and just wanted to ask if you could recommend any good sources of information on the different paths and ways to celebrate the upcoming solstice???

Yammas is offline  
#20 of 91 Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Postamlikam: we cross posted.  We sing "Here Comes the Sun" on Solstice coolshine.gif

 

Yes! We do too! Oh, and also "This Little Light of Mine" jumpers.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View PostI need to find a Solistice craft. Anyone have any ideas?

 

We have little construction paper suns hanging on our tree. I used a sun-shaped cookie cutter to trace around. They're yellow on one side and black on the other. I probably should glitter them, huh? Easy-peasy, though.

And, dried fruit. I keep forgetting for this year, but I usually dry orange and lemon slices in a really slow oven. They smell SO good when they're drying! Though, I have a dehydrator now. I wonder how that would work. I hate it because it's really noisy, but it's more effective than the oven for jerky.
I hang the dried orange slices on the tree. They look like stained glass if you put one in front of a tree light! So pretty.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammas View Post

Hello ladies hope your all well Im interested in paganism and just wanted to ask if you could recommend any good sources of information on the different paths and ways to celebrate the upcoming solstice???

 

Welcome, Yammas! You should probably search back in the thread(s) for Yule, Winter Solstice, other keywords like that. There's a TON of stuff-- I've been on here for like 10 years!

 

Got ds's stuff wrapped today. There isn't a lot, but it's quality stuff-- the Hunger Games trilogy and a mockingjay necklace from Etsy to go with, a pair of "skinny jeans" brand-new from Old Navy (we don't ever do new clothes, so this is big), stuff like that. Oh, and this is probably the last year for Santa (he's turning 12 next month)-- Santa got him a recurve bow and 10 new arrows. This will be his 3rd bow. He's a very good shot.

 

Tomorrow, I wrap my mom's things.

 

I scored for ds on a loft-- $30 from a local mama! Same day (yesterday) that I got it, I dumped the twin-over-full bunk beds. Paid $30 for the loft, $50 for my handyguy to haul the loft home and he'll set it up tomorrow, sold the bunks for $150. Score! I made $70 on the whole deal. I originally paid $200 for the bunks including mattresses, so I'm still making out. Yay!
Oh, and I did finally sell my drums-- got $300 for them. I don't recall putting financial boons on my Treasure Map, but I'll take them. I'm running up the CCs as fast as I'm getting cash, though.

 

OH!!!! M got a sponsor yesterday! I hope this lasts. I hope he develops a relationship with this guy and actually starts working the steps. That IS on my Treasure Map. Now if the house would just sell....that would be the very best Yule gift.


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#21 of 91 Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM
 
amlikam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire County MA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yammas I personally like Starhawk's books. Solstice has so many traditions and if you think of all the religions which celebrate light this time of year (Christmas, Chanukah, New Years etc) many of the rituals were carried over from early peoples and can be considered "pagan" at root.

We ring bells as this is the time of year for reset and bells are a tool for resetting, it is also a ritual which is easy to do in a mixed age group. We will ask those who wish to invite something in for the new solar year and wishes for the day. Also we attempt a dark night (though this year we will have people at home with us) where we turn off all electricity (except the pellet stove) and eat dinner and do bed time with candles. We invite quite reflection for a bit and exchange small gifts.

We do a tree and also share a piece of citrus together.


hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

amlikam is offline  
#22 of 91 Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
 
DaughterOfKali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 12,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PLEASE join me in lighting a candle for the children (and their parents) who died in today's CT elementary school shooting.  My heart is breaking.


Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

DaughterOfKali is offline  
#23 of 91 Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM
 
amlikam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkshire County MA
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

PLEASE join me in lighting a candle for the children (and their parents) who died in today's CT elementary school shooting.  My heart is breaking.

 

 

I feel soooo stressed out thinking about this... my heart too.... 18 children? candle.gif


hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

amlikam is offline  
#24 of 91 Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Kaydove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking about the tragedy and sending love and light to the families. My heart aches for them.


Maia - your house selling would be a wonderful Yule gift!! I've heard a sponsor makes a huge difference in recovery so that's great news for M!
I'm sorry you're dealing with a difficult time for your son! Preteen is such a tough age. Hugs!
I have a lemon tree in my back yard! And making suns sounds like a great craft! A friend and I are getting together on Tuesday and I mentioned that I want to make a Yule craft so that would be perfect! I'm craft challenged but entertaining in my attempt.


For resources - I'm really enjoying Ellen Dugan's books. I love how she writes. I also heard that Scott Cunningham's books are awesome. I just got one on Wicca in the Kitchen!

Gotta go light a candle for DH because he's interviewing right now!!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Kaydove is offline  
#25 of 91 Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

candle.gif  my heart is so full of sadness for the families and friends left behind.  my candle is lit for all of them - sending them love on their journey through this sadness.  grouphug.gif

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

joy.gif LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I have been singing that song all week. This little one growing in me we call our little SunSeed. Mainly because when She (?) was conceived and implanting I had these wild dreams of the moon planting a "sun seed" in my womb.

That's wild!  SunSeed is a sweet little name.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

We are singing in church this Sunday, One More Circle by Peter Mayer, which will be our theme for Yule week. We are making sun dancers and maybe crowns. We are fighting colds so anything we do to get ready is a bonus!

That's a pretty awesome song, Aeress!  Thanks for sharing!  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

I love the song Here Comes the Sun!
I went to Kitchen Witch class last night! It was awesome! I feel like I got a good base of understanding and not like I'm floundering anymore! Plus DH watched DD for 4 hours and she didn't cry once! The longest I've been away from her before was 1.5 hours! I SO needed that. They had tons of fun dancing and singing. A huge benefit of DH being laid off is that he gotten so much time with her and they've really bonded. He also gets more of a better picture of how intense she is. He lovingly called her a hellion last night. wink1.gif She's a handful but I wouldn't have it any other way. She's so much fun right now.
I need to find a Solistice craft. Anyone have any ideas?

HOORAY for getting some time away to just be Kaydove!!   What precious time that is.  

 

For Soltice Z and I make "bird feeders" out of dayold bagels I get from our local shop and we cover them with peanut butter and seeds.  I did this with her last year at 1.5 yrs and she loved it!  We also loved watching the squirrels and birds peck away at them.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammas View Post

Hello ladies hope your all well Im interested in paganism and just wanted to ask if you could recommend any good sources of information on the different paths and ways to celebrate the upcoming solstice???

WELCOME!! wave.gifCircle Round and Celebrating the Great Mother are great places to start!  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 

Yes! We do too! Oh, and also "This Little Light of Mine" jumpers.gif

 

 

 

We have little construction paper suns hanging on our tree. I used a sun-shaped cookie cutter to trace around. They're yellow on one side and black on the other. I probably should glitter them, huh? Easy-peasy, though.

And, dried fruit. I keep forgetting for this year, but I usually dry orange and lemon slices in a really slow oven. They smell SO good when they're drying! Though, I have a dehydrator now. I wonder how that would work. I hate it because it's really noisy, but it's more effective than the oven for jerky.
I hang the dried orange slices on the tree. They look like stained glass if you put one in front of a tree light! So pretty.

 

Tomorrow, I wrap my mom's things.

 

I scored for ds on a loft-- $30 from a local mama! Same day (yesterday) that I got it, I dumped the twin-over-full bunk beds. Paid $30 for the loft, $50 for my handyguy to haul the loft home and he'll set it up tomorrow, sold the bunks for $150. Score! I made $70 on the whole deal. I originally paid $200 for the bunks including mattresses, so I'm still making out. Yay!
Oh, and I did finally sell my drums-- got $300 for them. I don't recall putting financial boons on my Treasure Map, but I'll take them. I'm running up the CCs as fast as I'm getting cash, though.

 

OH!!!! M got a sponsor yesterday! I hope this lasts. I hope he develops a relationship with this guy and actually starts working the steps. That IS on my Treasure Map. Now if the house would just sell....that would be the very best Yule gift.

Maia, how do you change the words to "This Little Light of MIne" or do you just leave out the verses?  In church school I remember singing "Won't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine" which, thinking back is pretty...INTENSE.

 

WOOHOO!  On the score and money made!! joy.gif and M getting a sponsor!  and DS' presents getting wrapped!  Today was wrapping extravaganza here.  Z is at my dad's house and so I could just wrap like a wildwoman and I did!!!! 

 

I might try drying some oranges and lemons  that sounds awesome and I know Z would love it!! 


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#26 of 91 Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS has actually got a few really good compliments on his improving behavior from the teachers, in private email to me. They said they were sorry they had only been reporting the bad things. Apparently he IS doing better, and this trimester, though it's just begun, has already shown improvement in grades. Cross fingers!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia, how do you change the words to "This Little Light of MIne" or do you just leave out the verses?  In church school I remember singing "Won't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine" which, thinking back is pretty...INTENSE.

 

WOOHOO!  On the score and money made!! joy.gif and M getting a sponsor!  and DS' presents getting wrapped!  Today was wrapping extravaganza here.  Z is at my dad's house and so I could just wrap like a wildwoman and I did!!!! 

 

Hmmm....we go to the UU, and my son goes to the "hippie dippy school", so I have never heard those words before! The UU co-opts every hymn and song and rewrites them, and they're the only version I know lol.gif Let's see, we just sang it on Sunday...there are 3 verses in the UU hymnal. "This little light of mine" is 1st, "Everywhere I go" is 2nd, "Building up a world" is 3rd.

 

The showing fell through, like I said...but all of a sudden I have another one tomorrow! Oh, mamas....I called my realtor immediately and said "Look, find who's showing it, and tell them I'll talk privacy fence if they are interested". Cross fingers again for us, mamas.

 

And yeah-- my son is being extra annoying tonight, but I will take it. I am aching, absolutely heartbroken, for the mamas and dads in CT tonight. And, for the mom and family of the shooter. Imagine your child growing up to shoot and kill 26 people and he's not even legal yet mecry.gif I keep hearing about this guy's "mental illnesses"...as if that's an excuse. My child has multiple invisible illnesses and I'm anything but a slack mama.


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#27 of 91 Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maia: I am so pleased to hear that your DS's teacher took the time to write that private email.  What a big deal.  I am glad they realized they needed to tell you about the positive and I hope they comment to your DS when he is doing something positive!  

 

Thanks for the lyrics to this little light.  So much more positive than the ones I learned, hahaha!  I will be thinking of you today and thinking good thoughts for your showing.  

 

I refuse to watch any coverage right now on the shooting.  A few years ago we had a shooting here, in my hometown.  13 people were murdered at the local American Civic Association.  Camera crews were everywhere and their opinions on our tragedy, on our town were everywhere and it just made it harder to work through all the emotions that were going on here.  I am just saying many prayers and sending all the love and healing energy I can towards CT when I think of it.  The whole sorrowful thing.  I will read all about it when things have settled down more and when there are facts being told and stories about the beautiful lives of these people who were lost are being celebrated.  


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
#28 of 91 Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Maiasaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Here, because I'm not all there.
Posts: 5,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia: I am so pleased to hear that your DS's teacher took the time to write that private email.  What a big deal.  I am glad they realized they needed to tell you about the positive and I hope they comment to your DS when he is doing something positive!  

 

Thanks for the lyrics to this little light.  So much more positive than the ones I learned, hahaha!  I will be thinking of you today and thinking good thoughts for your showing.  

 

I refuse to watch any coverage right now on the shooting.  A few years ago we had a shooting here, in my hometown.  13 people were murdered at the local American Civic Association.  Camera crews were everywhere and their opinions on our tragedy, on our town were everywhere and it just made it harder to work through all the emotions that were going on here.  I am just saying many prayers and sending all the love and healing energy I can towards CT when I think of it.  The whole sorrowful thing.  I will read all about it when things have settled down more and when there are facts being told and stories about the beautiful lives of these people who were lost are being celebrated.  

 

I know-- that email meant so much to me. They're really on it about keeping up with me. Yay!

 

LOL about This Little Light-- like I said, I've never heard any other lyrics than the ones I know!

 

That must have been awful, in your town, the shooting and all. I'm glad I don't have news (or cable at all) here, so I'm not seeing it or hearing it unless I turn NPR on. Or find it deliberately online.

My gods, though, ALL of the children killed were either 6 or 7 years old. So young mecry.gif

 

Y'all-- M is on day 2 of no smoking! Think it'll last? Honestly I care lots more about the drinking. But whichever, I'll take it!


Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Maiasaura is offline  
#29 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 AM
 
Valerie.Qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: in my own pants
Posts: 2,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just passing by...

 

candle.gif 

 

hug.gif

 

and 

 

heartbeat.gif


Valérie   
Valerie.Qc is offline  
#30 of 91 Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
 
vydalea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

 

I know-- that email meant so much to me. They're really on it about keeping up with me. Yay!

 

LOL about This Little Light-- like I said, I've never heard any other lyrics than the ones I know!

 

That must have been awful, in your town, the shooting and all. I'm glad I don't have news (or cable at all) here, so I'm not seeing it or hearing it unless I turn NPR on. Or find it deliberately online.

My gods, though, ALL of the children killed were either 6 or 7 years old. So young mecry.gif

 

Y'all-- M is on day 2 of no smoking! Think it'll last? Honestly I care lots more about the drinking. But whichever, I'll take it!

I'm with you, Maia.  No cable here, we have to actively look for it.  I'm glad for it.   Those poor, poor babies and the educators and staff who were protecting them.  I feel sadness right down to the depths of my soul when I think about it.  

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Just passing by...

 

candle.gif 

 

hug.gif

 

and 

 

heartbeat.gif

grouphug.gif

 

 

In Yule news... we started the "Yule" section of our Holiday Activity Stockings with a reading of Sun Bread yesterday.  Z loves it, has had me read it to her bunches of times already.  It's such a good starting point for talking about the holiday.  Later today we make our little animal feeders tomorrow we will light the Yule log for the first time.  I am really looking forward to Friday.  


peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

vydalea is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off