Crunchy Christian mamas '13 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 462 Old 07-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, welcome Chapsie-- good to see all the new mamas here!

Re agreeing w husbands & submission-- I'd say no 2 people on earth (who think) can agree 100% on every single point, but it IS such a blessing when we meet a man with whom we agree theologically on most everything. Growing at dif rates/ in dif ways can be hard for submission. Growing faster than one's head leaves us pretty lopsided! ITA w lots of prayer in this situation. IMO submitting to his spiritual authority is not optional unless his wishes directly contradict scripture/ scriptural authority. What do you ladies think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 462 Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The ladies group at my church has been studying Ephesians 5, and the whole submission thing. For the most part I really don't struggle becuz DH is very spiritually mature and I trust his judgment, but more than that, I trust the Lord! Obedience brings blessing :-) as a woman this is what I have been called to, so I try best I can to walk in obedience.
It wasn't always this way. Our lives really changed last July, and the more DH took off the world, the old man, and died to himself daily, I began to recognize the character of Christ in him. So, it really makes it so much easier to willingly submit when your DH is a reflection of your savior.
Something that I've learned while studying eph 5 is that like a PP said u must submit unless it is straight up opposing the Word. If u submit only when u see fit then it's circumstantial submission. That is not what we are called to. Like it or not, wives are to submit to their husbands just as they do to Christ.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#183 of 462 Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM

So true-- hard as it may sometimes be, there is blessing in submission.

Looking back (decades), even when I was married to a man of a different faith-- a non-believer-- God used my unbelieving Xh to protect and to bless me when I submitted in the matters that were not against God's word. (At the time it was a bitter bitter pill to swallow.) I'm not saying it converted Xh or kept him from making decisions that ultimately destroyed our marriage, only that when we obey God, it is -always- a blessing; esp in this area for women.

Of course, do keep in mind that believers are ALL told to submit to one another-- collectively-- submission is not a purely feminine command... eph 5.21 "submitting to one another in the fear of God"

#184 of 462 Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Happy Friday upsidedown.gif

So much happened this week. I'm looking forward to the weekend.

#185 of 462 Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi everyone- I've just finished reading through all the posts and thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. I'm not currently a mother, but really hope to be soon! I've got issues with fibroids that I may need surgery for, etc etc before that can happen, which has really been a source of stress lately...I'm from Texas, but currently living in France, going to grad school and about to get married in September. Medical issues taken considered, we hope to have a baby right away *fingers crossed*.  France is great, but it is very much a secular country ( I couldn't find Christmas cards with the Nativity, at all...) and then theres the language barrier too so it'd be great to talk with some other Christ-minded people. Spiritually, I guess I'm a bit hard to define, like lots of you here smile.gif I was raised Pentecostal and had very strong issues with Christianity as a result of some of the churches I grew up in, almost to the point of leaving the faith altogether. Now, I wouldn't really call myself a certain denomination. I attended a Methodist church when I was in the U.S. and attend a Catholic one that is close here in France and go to the American Church in Paris when we can get there. I'd love to find a house church or even just some other english speaking believers but its proven pretty hard. Author-wise, I just finished Blue Like Jazz by Donald ****** and am in the middle of The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne now and loving it.  I really look forward to talking with all of you!

#186 of 462 Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

lacicollen- Nice to meet you joy.gif Please jump right in

#187 of 462 Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

It is a great day. Praise God for warm sunny summer days.coolshine.gif

We are looking a the sower in Mark for Bible study this week. Any thoughts?

#188 of 462 Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Somehow Summer has totally skipped northern California. We had one week of hot enough weather to go to the pool. I really wanted to get the kids into swim lessons this Summer but it just hasn't been hot enough. 

I spent all of last year putting offers on houses to purchase. In January we finally got an accepted offer on a short sale. Well, yesterday we finally heard back from the bank. Since the prices of homes have gone up so much in the last six months, they decided to foreclose to get more money for the house. So after a year and a half of trying to get a house, we don't get one. I should be really upset, but God has given me and my DH peace. We're taking the money we saved for a down payment and paying off our debt!!!!!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#189 of 462 Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

trekkingirl-joy.giffor getting out of debt!!! That is so great.

Happy Friday everyonelove.gif

#190 of 462 Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM

HI lacicolleen-- good to see you here!

trekkingirl-- so sorry about the house, but I'm glad you have a  plan-- that sounds great! BTW-- you can have some of our summer! It's been too hot to even go swim & cool off (water feels like a sauna!) since about JUNE! We went swimming once when it was down to low 90s & that was so very nice.

Actually, this begs a question for crunchy Christian mamas-- where do you all find bathing suits that are modest enough? Or what do you do to accomodate the usually paltry selection?

#191 of 462 Old 08-03-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

bathing suits- I found one at Nortica? It is a one piece. It covers in a nice way? It is so hard to find a good modest bathing suit. If I went with a bikini I could b/f with no problem. LOL

#192 of 462 Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Hi, how's everyone's weekend?

I guess when I say modest bathing suit, I'm thinking of it covering neck to knees, minimum. The only place I've seen anything like is at coolibar. I like them & they also have high UPF, but they are very pricey & they offer no nursing or maternity options. I found a surf shirt for DD & even swim leggings at WM this year! WOW! When they were younger, it was easy to get surf suits from Land's End, I usually could thrift some, but it gets harder as they get older (when they need it most!) I am so glad ppl are focusing on sun exposure more now than in the past bc it helps when even a discount store offers surf shirts & long board shorts at least. C:

#193 of 462 Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

mum4vr- I have been b/f for about 8 yrs. So it is hard to be to covered. The suit from Nortica was the best thing that I could find? It does cover alot more then you would think. After my baby is done then I will go back to being MORE covered?

There is a Modest moms thread around here. I know that they talked about bathing suits. You could look it up.

#194 of 462 Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 PM

I've been praying about relocating. I really tried so hard to buy a home but the market here is not meant for families, it's all for investors. Problem is DH refuses to move. I have been asking him for ten years. I just don't know how to make him understand. What's it like where you live? Are houses affordable? Are there jobs to be had?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#195 of 462 Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

trekkingirl- where my husbands work needs truck drivers. like yesterday. BUT I don't know if you want to move to NJ?

#196 of 462 Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 PM

Isn't New Jersey just as expensive as San Francisco? I'm looking for cheap areas where I could buy a house for under $200,000

#197 of 462 Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

trekkingirl- The funny thing is you can buy a nice house for under $200,000 BUT the taxes are so HIGH!!!!!banghead.gif  OH the taxes. They kill us here.

I will pray for you.

#198 of 462 Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

#199 of 462 Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Friday joy.gifjoy.gif Praise the Lord for He is good.

#200 of 462 Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM

His love endures forever! Hope you are enjoying your Friday. We're almost at the end of it here in Germany, but I'm thankful for a good start to the weekend.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#201 of 462 Old 08-10-2013, 12:44 PM

TY, Nazsmum, I will try to find that thread. How'd the sower go?

Trekkingirl-- EVERYTHING is so very super-cheap here-- you'd fall thru the floor if you saw our prices. (Under $200,000!? Nothing here costs that-- there are literal mansions for sale for under 1/4 mill) I have bought 2 properties here (1 acre on the lake & a 10 acre "to-build-on" plot) for CASH with my income tax return!

However... there are no jobs and no prospects for any in the near future-- no work anywhere. PPL with 3 degrees who move here end up working at McD's IF they can bc the competition is so fierce for any and every type of job. My DH drives 2 hours one way to go to work! & we feel very very blessed that he has this opportunity. His employer lets him set things up to do more from home, so he only goes in at this point 1-2 times per week.

Also, if you are moving from the coastal states, you'll feel like you just slipped thru a crack into the stone ages if you come here, LOL! We still love our home, but it's easy to see why many ppl would struggle in this area & why we are not a very populous area. C:

Good to see you here, Soul-O; welcome!

#202 of 462 Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Soul-O- Welcome. joy.gif

Bible Study- It is going very well. The sower was a very good topic. We all had a lot of good view points. I getting sad that the summer is almost over. So the study will be done and I will be without a group of women to study with.greensad.gif 

This weekend is a weird one. It is the first one without a party or something. I needed a Saturday off!!!!

HERE is a question for you ladies- OK here we go-  How do you handle people that you try to be friends with but don't give back. So you are inviting them for dinner and they never ask you? You ask them to go to do XYZ and they come. BUT NEVER ask you to do XYZ.

See, I don't think that they want to be my friend. In the world I would just walk away. BUT as a Christian (they are also) what do you do? Do I ask them if there is a problem? Do I walk away? 

Here is another part of my problem...She is having a baby and as a friend I would do something really nice for them/her. But now that I "see" what is going on I have lost my drive. I have a great  idea. I just don't want to do it for a woman whom does not show friendship.

I'm I just crazy? Does Jesus tell me to give her the best gift no matter what? And why do I have to be a GREAT friend to someone whom does not show me friendship????? 

#203 of 462 Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM

mum4vr where do you live? My DH keeps telling me if we move somewhere cheap there won't be any jobs. Sounds like he might be right.

#204 of 462 Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM

What kind of work does your DH do? Homes are super cheap in NC smoky mountains!

About ppl who don't respond to friendship advances idk what the right Christian answer is but I would say oh well for them it's their loss, you're awesome nazsmum!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#205 of 462 Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 PM

we both work at grocery stores. He manages a privately owned store, not a major chain where he could transfer.

#206 of 462 Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

, you're awesome nazsmum!

Gee thanks.shy.gif

#207 of 462 Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM

if u could be any character from the bible other than Jesus, who would it be?

I would be Noah,a righteous man whom God preserved, live the ultimate adventure, and have a really long and blessed life.

I asked my family and got Joshua, Luke, and Queen Ester from my kids, and the apostle Paul from DH

#208 of 462 Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Good question- Rhoda (Acts 12:13-17) because I could see myself in her shoes. No one believes me 1/2 the time.LOL Other then that I would like to be any one of the women from Acts 1:14. I would have liked to see Jesus and then live out my faith with the men and women so close to His life here on earth. Also, the temple must have been something to see.

From the OT. I'm not sure where I fall. Maybe during the time of King David? Or before the flood? I'm going to thinking about it.

#209 of 462 Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Fridayjumpers.gif

mum4vr- Due soon?

#210 of 462 Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Any advice for a partner who is not Christian? Hubs declares himself 'agnostic', he believes in God or "higher power", and loves history so believes Jesus existed, but otherwise he just doesn't believe. We regularly attended Lutheran churches for  a few years (more to support me I guess) but I've since given up church. We used to talk about it all the time, but I know he needs God to move him. It's frustrating not being able to relate on this level. :(

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page