Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Joy to the world it is 2013. Praying for a blessed year praying.gif

#2 of 462 Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well I don't know if anyone wants to talk? But I thought that I would throw this out there...

This week my son's take home paper asked this question..Did Jesus believe the OT was true?bigeyes.gif (Answer in Genesis)

What do I do with the paper? burn it?

John16n33- Are you still around? How are you? You have been on my mind.

Lilyka- It is almost Jan 6. Praying you doing OK.

ANYONE reads this. Please come join me....

#3 of 462 Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi, I haven't been active on this thread before, but I am both crunchy and Christian.

Instead of throwing the paper away, maybe look with him at evidence that Jesus did believe the OT...He read from and quoted Isaiah, quoted Amos, talked about Jonah and Deuteronomy....and those are just a few that I remember off the top of my head.  The more I read the Bible, the more I find connections between the Old Testament and the New.  The NT authors knew their OT very, very well.

#4 of 462 Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Vaske- Welcome!!!! SO happy to meet youjoy.gif

I know that Jesus believed the OT!!! I believe that the whole of the OT speaks of HIM. (John 5: 37-40) I believe that He not only believed the OT He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. The OT is Jesus consealed the NT is Jesus revealed!!! SO Yes I know what you are saying. All the writter of the NT were Jewish and know the torah and scriputers very well. THAT is all they had.

AIG does not speak like this about Jesus. They treat Him like is was JUST a rabbi and not God's Son the Messiah.

#5 of 462 Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

AIG, for all my issues with them does truly believe that Christ was the Son of God.  But they use Him to push what they are selling ( literal translation of the creation story).  They irritate me.  I used to pre-read the magazine when it came to the house (it did have some cool stuff in it so I did not ban it outright and we received it as a gift.  it must go straight to their house now.)I still check out my kids room for tracts and crap.  It irritates me that their dads family targets them with stuff to get them to say the sinners prayer and AIG stuff.  it is usually only at holidays.  But it seems like I can always find something.  Oh well, I guess I know what they are getting fed and it is easier to know where to focus my efforts if I know where other people are focusing theirs.

As for me, I am well.  Just had a three day weekend -woohoo.  after working 18 straight days - boo.  Next week I am scheduled for 55 hours...17 of them on Saturday.  barf.  plus I start school.  it is going to be crazy.  But I am so excited about school.  And my new job.  I picked up my schedule today and my boss wrote the sweetest note on it.  Nothing spectacular just that he is really excited to have me working there.  That is all a girl is looking for in a minimum wage part time job.  A little appreciation.  LOL  next week is crazy because I gave my two weeks notice 3 1/2 weeks ago.  Told them I would stick around to help transition the new person.  Been 3 1/2 weeks and they are still taking applications it is a management position so it is a little harder to fill than a part time or even full time position.  But for the love of pete!  They have not even started interviews.  So tomorrow I am giving my full timer a big hug and telling her "you can do it".  of course she can't.  There are not enough people to cover shifts and she is going to panic.  Not to mention she is starting school too.  So....pray for Maggie.  I am out of there.  Hallelujah.

Nazsmum - are you on facebook?  If so I would love it if i could friend you.  I don't get over here much any more (the boards have sort of died down to the point where this is the only reason I come here)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 462 Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like your crazy busy. School, work, and the kids. So keep it up you will make it.

About AIG. My mother was SHOCK at the Sunday School papers. It is so so sad. I have written Ken Ham myself. They are all about making that ark. Millions of $$ that could go to the gospel. No lilyka they are not about the Father's work. They are just not.

Not on facebook. I know about MDC. I'm not wanting to come here anymore either.greensad.gif

#7 of 462 Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to give this one more bump.gif Anyone wants to talk? 2whistle.gif

#8 of 462 Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

I know no one is around but it is my thread and I can post if I want to.mecry.gifSo happy weekend to anyone and everyone

#9 of 462 Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

In times of stress, the best thing we can do for each other is listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers.

Mr. Rogers

#10 of 462 Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Love the Mr. Rogers quote! To me, he's an example of a Christian who really lived his faith. I can't find anyone who had anything bad to say about him.

I was invited to join this thread, so here's a brief intro: I'm a WOHM of a 15-month-old, and my spouse is a WAHP. We live in the NYC metro area (though we did spend a year in Pittsburgh, Mr. Rogers's hometown...)

We identify as Roman Catholic, and try to bring our daughter to church as often as possible. She's also enrolled in a church-based music program called Making Music Praying Twice (http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/), which she loves! Does anyone here have something similar in her own church?

#11 of 462 Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

glassesgirlnj- So happy to see youjoy.gif I have been hanging here myself for so long 2whistle.gif 

I'm a SAH mom of 2 boys and 1 girl. We live in NJ. I'm a Messianic Jew BUT just simple believer. We are celebating Purm this weekend and MY B-DAY!!!biggrinbounce.gif

I have to go eat lunch...talk later

#12 of 462 Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks for inviting me, Nazsmum! What part of NJ do you live in? We are in Essex County.

I've been to a Purim party once and it was a BLAST! Also, we used to live in Brooklyn, near several Chasidic communities, and it was so adorable to watch the little girls running around in their Queen Esther dresses.

ETA: Oh, and happy birthday!!! Doh, I forgot...

#13 of 462 Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I live in Union County. I live where the old drive in movie theater was. I came here to see a few movies when I was little.

Purim is very fun. I let my kids get dressed up and we have a big party.

Thanks for the b-day wish. I love LOVE LOVE b-days!!!! Next year I am going to a BIG BIG party. So everyone can come. So looking forward to that.

I think that it is cool that you go to a music class. Music has a great spiritualy to it. David's harp is so cool.....He hear the Lord playing the harp and you see the prophets using them to hear the Lord.

The church that we are going is doing a sturdy of the prophets. I don't get to go because it is at night....my husband comes home ssssoooo late so nights.

Hope you have a great weekend

#14 of 462 Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 PM

I didn't even realize that there was a spirituality forum on MDC! 

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm 31 and have been married for ten years. My DH isn't a practicing Christian however I think my faith is contagious! I attend a Baptist church although I have no idea what it means to be a Baptist instead of just general Christian. I have three kids. My oldest DD is 9 and my DS is going to be 6 in a few days. My youngest DD turned 2 last month. We live in our RV as we have been trying to get an accepted offer on our first home purchase for the last 6 months bigeyes.gif. We have really exciting news, today we finally got an accepted offer and we are in the beginning stages of a short sale. God has timing that has nothing to do with what I understand. This house is so much nicer than I thought we would ever be able to get. Please pray that all goes well and the bank comes back with a counter offer that we can live with.

We homeschool the kids and it has been such a challenge to do so without a house.

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#15 of 462 Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

tekkinggirl-joy.gif so happy you are here!!!!

We are going to a Baptist church right now. I don't like the church for many reasons. This church is more about "getting together" and less about Jesus/God. If you look at the top of this thread you will see some of the story.

I will pray about you getting the house. I will pray everthing goes smooth.

I'm homeshool also.

OH!!! I think most moms don't know the MDC is more then SOCIAL GROUPS and DUE DATE CLUBSsoapbox.gif...and so many moms are just gone greensad.gif

#16 of 462 Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM

Hi everyone!

Do any of you feel like you don't have much in common with other moms in your church?

I love my church bc they are all about community work, but as a liberal (this was really acute during the election) Christian who thinks we should be embracing everyone, I feel like I don't fit in. I love and respect that we all think differently but it's tiring to hear judgment of those like me when they assume I think the same way they do.

Sorry I'm not being very eloquent, I hate typing on my phone.

Glad to be here. :-)

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#17 of 462 Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

Hi everyone!

Do any of you feel like you don't have much in common with other moms in your church?

I love my church bc they are all about community work, but as a liberal (this was really acute during the election) Christian who thinks we should be embracing everyone, I feel like I don't fit in. I love and respect that we all think differently but it's tiring to hear judgment of those like me when they assume I think the same way they do.

Sorry I'm not being very eloquent, I hate typing on my phone.

Glad to be here. :-)

joy.gifhappy to see you!!!! I DO NOT FIT IN AT CHURCH. I don't go to the women's group because I feel so out of place. It is so sad for me.

nak

#18 of 462 Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM

I guess it's not too bad, but as I get to know more people at church I realize just how different I am.  I just don't see critical thinking/questioning things and faith to be mutually exclusive kwim?

Anyway, I am getting pretty involved in my church with the children's ministry and the leader is amazing.  She has such a heart for children, I even babysat her 2 yr old for a few wks and she is so positive and loving.

Unfortunately, there have been a couple of issues with the small groups I have joined, the first was that the leaders were incredibly mean and judgemental toward a mutual friend and then turned it on me when they found out I was good friends with that person.  The second I mentioned in the church and spanking thread where the leaders are promoting a book that takes pro spanking to a whole new level.  It's really disheartening because I stayed out of church for so  many years after being really  hurt and when I go back I see some pretty intense hatefulness and very little introspection.

I am praying that I don't let my experiences with people get in the way of my passion for God. I also see that, with the exceptions I mentioned above and probably some other individuals I haven't met yet, the actual church is always striving for love and looking at oneself instead of others.  So the message is in the right place, but we are all human and we manage to muck it up right?

It's just amazing though how Christians in general have taken such a wrong turn, it's like we give God a bad name a lot of the time and it's unfortunate.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#19 of 462 Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

I am praying that I don't let my experiences with people get in the way of my passion for God. .

I feel the same way. How are getting involved?

I SO want to teach again. I think that I am going to do a lesson on passover.  We will see what happens....

#20 of 462 Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM

tanyam926, I know what you mean! Some people can't wrap their heads around "Christian" and "liberal" being used in the same sentence. I've volunteered in the past with the Catholic Workers, who are even farther left than that (http://www.catholicworker.org/ if you're interested in learning more).

It's fun to watch people's faces when they see their stereotypes crashing around them... ;) It does sound like you have a good rapport with the childrens' ministry leader, though!

We also don't fit in with most of the families at our church, mainly because we're in such a different socieconomic class than them - we live in the blue-collar / pink-collar "slums" ;) of a very 1% township. (Nazsmum, we are right on the border of Essex County, Morris County, and Union County, if that gives you an idea...)

On the other hand, that means our parish is very well-funded and can afford to do things like give us a scholarship for my daughter's music program, have a Nativity display with live animals, etc. So A is benefiting in some ways because we live around here!

Along similar lines, we just found that we really like the drop-in playspace at our local YWCA! It's more diverse, in many ways, than A's music class, for example. The Y offers yoga and healthy cooking classes, too... I'm going to see if we qualify for a moderate-income discount on membership.

And A had another great checkup yesterday - she's now 90th percentile on height, 70th on weight, and hitting all milestones. Thank God for her ongoing development and good health...

Nazsmum, good luck with your teaching! Is this a lesson you're presenting at your church?

#21 of 462 Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM

So my brother posted on FB yesterday that he doesn't believe in GOD! It caught me off guard that he would put something in writing in a public place where everyone can see it.

When I questioned him he said that he lost his faith a few years ago.

Something happened at church on Sunday that really bothered me. My assistant pastor who has always been "iffy" to me asked me to join him and two new families my age at the table for our potluck. I wasn't planning on sitting their but saw it as a good opportunity to meet new families. I went to make the baby her plate and when I came back all the adults had moved to the next table and left all their kids at the table where we were sitting. My pastor said oh I didn't mean to sit you at the kids table, come join us over here. But I just wasn't ok with ditching my kids. I got the vibe from them that they felt superior or something. It was so weird. I could tell he felt bad because he came back to see if I needed anything but it just didn't sit right with me. 

Does this happen at your church?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#22 of 462 Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

glassesgirlnj- If I do teach a lesson it will be for teens. The church elders and I are not on the "same page" So I will be surprised if they let me.

trekkingirl- FIRST what happen with the house? About your brother...did you grow-up in a christian home? Did he walk "away"? I am NOT a fan of facebook. MDC is really my only hang-out.

About the pastor-- I don't get people in general.  I would feel weird about it to. In many ways we think that person is a christian why would they do XYZ???? REALLY WHY???

#23 of 462 Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM

trekkingirl, that does sound awkward!  Maybe the other parents aren't as "attached" as your family is, and so they figured all the parents would want to eat separately from their kids? 

Nazsmum, I am not a fan of Facebook either.  I am too paranoid about my privacy!  

I'd like to hear more about the role of pastors in Protestant denominations (it sounds like they're pretty different from Catholic priests in some ways).  What would the "ideal" pastor be like?  Have you ever had a pastor who came close to living up to that? 

#24 of 462 Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Never had a perfect pastor!! We are all human. The role of a pastor in my eyes is to help the "sheep". To give care in times of need. Basically being an under shepherd to Jesus that is the HEAD of the church. Also the pastor is a part of the over all church not the end all be all. (which has happened in many churchs)

I know that spirituality is not a debate forum.  I do have some "other" views that I will keep to myself. 

#25 of 462 Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 PM

The house is a short sale so it could take months to close. We submitted our offer to the bank with the sellers accepted signatures on the contract. The bank received the offer and has postponed the foreclosure date that had been set for March 5th. So now we are waiting to see if the bank will accept the price that the sellers accepted from us. again with a short sale the seller is selling their house for substantially less than they actually owe on the property so the bank is taking a loss by selling me the house. Their website said it should take about 30 days to hear back from them about our offer.

He's my step brother we're from a really blended family that was raised Christian but both of our parents were recovering addicts. My father died and his mom went on to drugs and is in prison right now. After my father died I moved out on my own when I was 14. He was young, maybe 7 so I don't really know how his upbringing changed when I left. I just have a hard time understanding how someone can turn and walk away. What if Jesus had turned and walked away from the cross and told the father it was just too much? I just have a hard time understanding when Christ gave his everything so we can have it all.

#26 of 462 Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

trekkingirl- I will pray about the house and your brother. It is all in the Lord's hands.

See if you like Rev. Wayne Monbleau. Let's Talk about Jesus. He is a really great teacher. www.lovinggrace.org He is all about grace upon grace.

#27 of 462 Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, have a question. How do you teach the Bible/ Jesus to your children?

#28 of 462 Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM

How do you teach the Bible/ Jesus to your children?

Well, my daughter is only 15 months old, but we have a lot of holy cards and images around the house, which she seems interested in and points to, so we explain, "That's Jesus. He loves you", "That's Mary and baby Jesus," etc. We also pray each night at bedtime. And we read religious-themed board books (I really liked "Who Is Coming To Our House"? for Christmas time - hoping to find a similar one for Easter.)

When we were preparing for A's baptism, we took a class that included ideas on "Keeping a Catholic Home". Unfortunately, it seemed to be more about buying things (pastel crosses for the nursery, etc) than about living Christian values like love and charity! :/ ...I should say that might be specific to my parish, and other parishes might have different prep classes.

#29 of 462 Old 03-01-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

glassesgirl- I did a thread about the spiritualital home...and you made me think of it. Do you say written prayers? Do you have a children's book that you really like?

Have a happy weekend...look forward to spring.upsidedown.gif

#30 of 462 Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

easter plans?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page