Aligning our life's purpose with Earth and Universe - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been ruminating on the article at the following link:

http://www.realitysandwich.com/unplug_river_shamanic_path_material_and_spiritual_abundance

It's about removing blockages in our lives that are keeping us from experiencing full spiritual and material abundance.

One thing the author, Itzhac Beery, talks about is the need to align our own life's purpose with both Earth and Universe.

I was thinking about this today, and connecting Beery's idea on alignment to some things James Redfield has said about each of us being here to resolve a conflict passed down to us by our parents. For example, the protagonist in one of his stories had a father who valued pleasure and a mother who valued spirituality, and the protagonist realized that the conflict he was resolving in his own life was the idea that you could only have one or the other. His purpose was to learn to bring fun and spirituality together.

In my own life, I've realized that both my parents, having grown up during the Great Depression, felt a strong need for material security, but for different reasons. My father, who had cerebral palsy, never felt truly loved or accepted by his mother, because when he was a child, she pretended not to notice his disability and would insist that he was no different from other children and could do everything they could do. When he was a child, he was afraid to fall asleep at night because he thought he'd wake up to find his parents had gone and left him behind, because he was too much of a burden. When he was a young adult struggling to find someone who would hire him, his mother rode and rode him about getting a job and made him feel so inadequate,

So I've realized that my dad's quest for material security was for the purpose of securing himself a place within family and society, so that he could experience the comforts of belonging, as well as all the creature comforts of life, which he enjoyed very much.

My mother had a mother who expected her to conform to her ideas about what she should be doing with her life. From early on, she tried to push my mom into romantic relationships with local boys because she wanted Mom to marry one of the local farmers. My mom, however, did not enjoy farm life, so she took a secretarial course in high school and, after graduating at 17, moved to the city to work and make a life for herself.

I've realized that her quest for material security was for the purpose of freeing her to live life as she pleased; she wanted to just be herself and live as she wanted to live, and never have to conform to others' ideas about what she should be doing.

With this in mind, I've been learning that the conflict I'm here to resolve is the idea that either you can belong and enjoy all the comforts that come with that, or you can be an individual, retain and nurture your uniqueness, and enjoy getting to pursue your own passions and living as you please -- but you can't have both.

Thinking about how this aligns with Earth and Universe, I've realized that I'm here to help bring everyone together, while also nurturing and protecting individuality and uniqueness. This lines up with the fact that both Earth and Universe thrive on interaction and symbiotic relationships between totally unique and diverse elements. No union is a true union if either party, or element, leaves something of themselves behind.

This relates to some conflicts I see going on in society right now. For example, in the immigration dialog, I've heard some say that for newcomers to truly integrate into a society, they need to dress and act like the majority culture in that society. Also, as a homeschooling parent who is also excited about the U.N, Convention on the Rights of the Child and how this can help improve situations for children all over the world, I've also been distressed to learn that some countries seem to be using it as a rationale for curtailing families' freedoms to homeschool, because of their feeling that children can't truly belong in society if their education and upbringing diverges too much from that of the majority culture.

I'm hoping to be more attentive to ways that I can foster unity while also making a case for the need to protect individuality. We need diversity in order to have a truly strong, and real, union of hearts.

But that's enough about me. I'd really love to hear any of your thoughts about your own life's purpose, and about your own life's alignment with Earth and Universe. Thanks for listening and please share!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#2 of 3 Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. This is a lot to think about.

I seem to express ideas that are very unpopular, so my conflict probably has to do with that.

Good luck with this discussion.
#3 of 3 Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks so much! I'd love to hear more about those unpopular ideas when you have time!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page