*~~*~~*Pagan Families in April*~~*~~* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

Maia my friend's mom makes the most AMAZING dandilion tea: http://forageporage.wordpress.com/tag/tea/

Seriously worth the work and so yummy.

thank you!

All y'all, PLEASE light candles and say prayers, the person/s who viewed my house the other day is still interested, and has requested more information. Oh, PLEASE, I need an offer!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#32 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Kitty - I hope your MRI goes well! My daughter really loves fairies, too. She's read a bunch of those Rainbow Fairy books - gag - but we also read the Spiderwick Chronicles, too, which she really loved.
AFM: My chicks come this morning! My six year old begged to stay home from school to await their arrival, but the school sent me a snotty letter about how much school she missed already.
I'm really not digging her school. She came home yesterday and told me, "Everyone thinks I'm weird." Apparently a kid in an older grade thought it'd be funny to pick on a kindergartener and told her that. Despite what I say, she still believes it. I can't wiat until summer break!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#33 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 AM

Maia - Will definitely light a candle. Keep us updated!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#34 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

That is so cute. While she's all over it, you should turn her on to Flower Fairies! I love love love those illustrations.

We also love OUaT! SUch a fun show!

We've been doing the Alphabet Path by Elizabeth Foss without the Saint stories, and we found a cute Flower Fairies coloring book. She loves it, but we've been so busy we haven't gotten to it for weeks!

goodvibes.gif On the house! I hope she makes an offer!!

Revolting, that's terrible. Does the school know about how she's treated? My oldest was also bullied in public Kindergarten. I ended up pulling her and we still homeschool. I can't believe what goes on in schools nowadays. Kindergarteners!!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#35 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI'm really not digging her school. She came home yesterday and told me, "Everyone thinks I'm weird." Apparently a kid in an older grade thought it'd be funny to pick on a kindergartener and told her that. Despite what I say, she still believes it. I can't wiat until summer break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Postgoodvibes.gif On the house! I hope she makes an offer!!

Revolting, that's terrible. Does the school know about how she's treated? My oldest was also bullied in public Kindergarten. I ended up pulling her and we still homeschool. I can't believe what goes on in schools nowadays. Kindergarteners!!

Thanks, kittywitty! I hope so, too!

I'm sorry your dd isn't liking school, revolting greensad.gif My ds's classmates think he's weird, too, which he is, and he's proud of it...but mostly he's annoying and he thinks it's funny greensad.gif which isn't going to serve him well as he gets older.

Be careful about the "bullying" tag, though. Calling someone weird is not bullying. Following someone home and stalking them and beating them up for their lunch money and laying in wait to make them scared of the next time...that's bullying. Many kids call people names. Kids are cruel. That's the way of things, unfortunately, but they are all like that.

Unless they are torturing revolting's dd and repeatedly making her scared, she's not being bullied, as sad as it is that she got called a name. The key word for the definition of bullying is "repeatedly", and, I would add, making someone scared. Repeatedly.

I got so mad at ds's teachers last year. In 5th grade they wrote him up for bullying. My kid is a lot of things, but bully isn't one of them. His infraction was for calling his crush a smelly squirrel. I kid you not.

I marched right into that school and called the teachers on it, and the one mealy-mouthed so-and-so just calmly looked at me and said "P____. The definition for bullying is changing". And I thought to myself, these kids are going to grow up having no idea what to do if real bullying happens to them. Now, I suppose, real bullying would be assault or something...ye Gods.
Me, I got called names throughout my whole school experience. The difference was, they followed me, they scared me, they said what they were gonna do to me (violent, not sexual), I got ganged up on in the girls' loo in high school by the older girls, on and on. THAT'S bullying.

Sorry, rant over....that's one of my huge personal pet peeves redface.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#36 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM

I was bullied in school. Only Jewish kid in school. I was beaten more than a dozen times in junior high alone. I had my hair pulled, etc. but the worst was that they never left you alone. When she said an older kid was picking on her dd, it sounded to me like the start of bullying. Especially being an older kid with an obvious age/power advantage picking on a Kindergartener. Either way, it is unacceptable and inappropriate. I disagree that only the most severe forms of bullying being the only time it being called what it is.

#37 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I was bullied in school. Only Jewish kid in school. I was beaten more than a dozen times in junior high alone. I had my hair pulled, etc. but the worst was that they never left you alone. When she said an older kid was picking on her dd, it sounded to me like the start of bullying. Especially being an older kid with an obvious age/power advantage picking on a Kindergartener. Either way, it is unacceptable and inappropriate. I disagree that only the most severe forms of bullying being the only time it being called what it is.

Well, it could be the start, that is true, and I didn't think about the older kid/younger kid dynamic. I would still not call it bullying. It's name calling (and, how often? by everybody? constantly?), which is not bullying (unless it IS often and constantly), but IS unacceptable and inappropriate. But, because of those things (older/younger) I would definitely keep an eye on it. You're right; it could turn into something bigger.

#38 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Revolting - Hugs to your DD! What a tough situation. How awful that an older kid picks on a Kindergartener! In my grade school, we had a buddy program where an older kid would buddy up with a grade schooler to show them the ropes and make them feel special. It really set the tone in the whole school that it was cool to be nice and help the little kids. The grades didn't really interact beyond that, they separated recess out by older grades and younger grades.

Maia - sending energy your way for the house selling!!

So we're here in Seattle and DH started his job! It's going well, he loves it. We're at a Marriott extended stay. It's nice to have housekeeping but taking the dogs potty on a leash with DD strapped to my back is getting really old. We need a yard! Thankfully we meet with the broker tomorrow to look at rental houses!! DD misses her dad when he's at work and is just about glued to him when he gets home. They took a bath together last night and she was laughing so hard!

I love hearing about everyone's gardens.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#39 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM

The buddy system sounds really cool.

I signed up for ADF! Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Dedicant materials?

#40 of 57 Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

What the crap mamas?!  I stopped getting updates on this thread!  grrr... miss a day (or2), miss a lot.  what newspaper is that?  

Okay, Maia, I am lighting my candle for you.  I will send so much energy, maybe even drink that tea you sent for Yule with you in mind!! gah!!! fingersx.gif

revolting:  Have you tried to give your daughter things to say in rebuttal to the insults?  I can't think of anything right now, maybe the other mamas can.  But I feel like giving children the words they need to say to "fight" back can sometimes help.  Not, fight, in the physical sense, obviously... just to feel prepared to stick up for herself.  Like what does it mean to be weird? To be different?  My mom used to say "If everyone was the same the world would be a really boring place"  -- this might not be helpful.  I'm sure having your baby come home and say someone is picking on her puts you through the roof.  hug2.gif

Hooray, Kaydove, that you're in Seattle and getting settled.  Too bad you couldn't teleport Maia's house to you! haha.

kittywitty: tell me more about ADF

I have the whiniest kid on the planet today.  I swear to the goddesses, if I make it out of today with any sanity I will be very happy.  I think I am going to throw this kid in the shower soon.  Wash the whine away.  dizzy.gif

kittywitty: I'm unfamiliar with the ADF dedicant path...can you tell me more about it?  

We were FINALLY out in the dirt yesterday.  Diggin in the gardens, DH rototilling... I'm hoping to get the DANG peas in by tomorrow evening.  We're out of town all weekend and I feel like I am a MONTH behind.  *sigh* I need to let go... 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#41 of 57 Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM

#42 of 57 Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostOkay, Maia, I am lighting my candle for you.  I will send so much energy, maybe even drink that tea you sent for Yule with you in mind!! gah!!! fingersx.gif

revolting:  Have you tried to give your daughter things to say in rebuttal to the insults?  I can't think of anything right now, maybe the other mamas can.

I think I am going to throw this kid in the shower soon.  Wash the whine away.  dizzy.gif

Thanks, vydalea! I have one lit, too. My realtor came over today and we made out a counter-offer which I think is pretty sweet. Cross fingers.

You never drank that tea? lol.gif That's alright, it took me a good while to drink the rose tea, too. Was it you that sent me that?

I love the kids' rhyme-- which I now consider one of the first spells-- "I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you". Also perhaps teach her how to shield? I like a convex mirror around myself to "bounce back" all the meanness.

Wash the whine away...another good kid spell, that. Have you told her to do that? winky.gif

Oh goodness....my favorite saying right now is "Let Go and Let God(dess)". And "If it be thy will".

#43 of 57 Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I signed up for ADF! Does anyone know how long it takes to get the Dedicant materials?

It was about five years ago that I tried ADF, but I think the packet arrived in about 3-4 weeks. It wasn't too terribly long.

#44 of 57 Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

kittywitty: thanks for sharing the links on the dedicants program.  it looks really intense and informative and beautiful.  If you feel comfortable I hope you will share parts of your journey with us.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Thanks, vydalea! I have one lit, too. My realtor came over today and we made out a counter-offer which I think is pretty sweet. Cross fingers.

You never drank that tea? lol.gif That's alright, it took me a good while to drink the rose tea, too. Was it you that sent me that?

News on the counter-offer?  I see the tea all the time but I am a creature of habit so I drink coffee every morning and raspberry leaf tea every afternoon.  Yes, it was me who sent the rose tea.  

FINALLY PLANTED THE DAMN PEAS THIS EVENING!  thumb.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#45 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostNews on the counter-offer? 

They counter-offered back, and it was still low, but I decided to take it. So...we are under due diligence until May 10th, and will be closing on May 30th! And I am renting back for two weeks after that. Then I have to be the heck out. Fast as heck and I am nervous as all get-out, but yay! I'm finally going! joy.gif

#46 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Yay!

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#47 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM

Congrats! I bet that's a relief!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#48 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So happy for you Maia!! Hurrah!

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#49 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

ahem...

WAHOOOO!!!!! joy.gif

Holy S. Balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, so, so, flipping excited for you, Maiasaura!!!  As details start pouring in, let us know!  What did M say?  I can't believe it, I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! blowkiss.gif

#50 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

ahem...

WAHOOOO!!!!! joy.gif

Holy S. Balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, so, so, flipping excited for you, Maiasaura!!!  As details start pouring in, let us know!  What did M say?  I can't believe it, I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! blowkiss.gif

S.Balls? headscratch.gif

M, I think, hasn't let it sink in yet. I'm going up there next week anyway-- had already planned to-- but now I wish I had done it for coming back on May 10th. I'm coming back on May 7th-- and how in the world can I get an apartment when there's still 3 days that it can fall through? I am hoping someone will let me put down like $50 deposit for three days, and then deal with me over the phone/through email. Because I won't be back up there till I move! Ack! Plus, moving company...ye Gods. What will I do with my things until I actually am there to receive them?

Yikes. Help.
When I moved out here to Asheville, I took possession of my rental house on the 1st of February, but the moving company, even though they picked up my things from my old house near to the end of January, couldn't deliver my furniture and things until the 5th of February. Which was OK-- my then 2yo son and I lived like camping till then, for 5 days, in our new rental. On sleeping bags, with one pot and one spoon and our toothbrushes and stuffys. That's all. I am hoping that will happen this time, too. I don't mind apartment camping-- what would be worse is having them get there with all my stuff and I can't be there to supervise. I'm hoping M can!

#51 of 57 Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

uhm, I mean HOLY SH*T Balls.  Sometimes I like to say "S" balls because it sounds so weird.  I am weird.

Is there any way you can change your itinerary?  

#52 of 57 Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 AM

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while, but I finally have a spirituality-related pic of A! Here she is on Fete Damballah, otherwise known as St. Patrick's Day: 

As I said in my due date club, anytime you have a toddler in a white outfit, you want to get that picture IMMEDIATELY... 

Maiasaura, any further updates about your house??? 

#53 of 57 Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostIs there any way you can change your itinerary?  

For flying? Sure, but it'd cost me like $150 to change my flight, plus more for Caregiver...nah, I will have to trust that it'll all work out. Maybe I can post-date a check or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View PostAs I said in my due date club, anytime you have a toddler in a white outfit, you want to get that picture IMMEDIATELY... 

Maiasaura, any further updates about your house??? 

lol.gif about the pic, yeah, I agree. Plus, she's adorable!

Nothing yet. I got the $50 due diligence check and the copy of the check for earnest money. Just waiting till May 10th for, I guess contract signing! Selling my two couches today (couch and love seat) and already got the TV, TV stand, VCR and DVD player gone. Next will be my king bed. And sundry other furniture. Been busy packing and weeding and decluttering!

#54 of 57 Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 AM

Plus, she's adorable!

Thanks so much! :)

I got the $50 due diligence check and the copy of the check for earnest money. Just waiting till May 10th for, I guess contract signing! Selling my two couches today (couch and love seat) and already got the TV, TV stand, VCR and DVD player gone. Next will be my king bed. And sundry other furniture. Been busy packing and weeding and decluttering!

Wow, you are really efficient! When I moved from Pittsburgh to here, it took me a month of solid effort to get my act together, and that was just a 600 sq ft apartment...

In other news, we've been invited to a Beltane party, and luckily A's favorite babysitter is available that night!

Does anyone else have any Beltane plans?

#55 of 57 Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Happy Beltane, mamas!

#56 of 57 Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View PostI got the $50 due diligence check and the copy of the check for earnest money. Just waiting till May 10th for, I guess contract signing! Selling my two couches today (couch and love seat) and already got the TV, TV stand, VCR and DVD player gone. Next will be my king bed. And sundry other furniture. Been busy packing and weeding and decluttering!

Wow, you are really efficient! When I moved from Pittsburgh to here, it took me a month of solid effort to get my act together, and that was just a 600 sq ft apartment...

In other news, we've been invited to a Beltane party, and luckily A's favorite babysitter is available that night!

Does anyone else have any Beltane plans?

Not all that efficient! I'd like to think so, though!

The bed will be gone after I get back, when the person I'm selling it to gets a truck and comes over. I really do have lots of things done, though!

I'm trying to get a box for each room that's a "go in the car" box. Like, for the kitchen, one big pan, one spoon and one knife and a kitchen towel...that kind of thing. For the bathroom, toothbrushes & paste, a towel each, hair stuff.

Once I have most of the furniture gone, I can organize what's left, sort of.

Beltane plans: At M's, or rather, an hour away...I found a ritual! Yay! There's a potluck and a Maypole and I can't wait. I haven't danced the Maypole in like two years. Because I have been at M's, and celebrating in the traditional way winky.gif BUT, I want to dance the Maypole and THEN celebrate in the traditional way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostHappy Beltane, mamas!

You, too! coolshine.gif

#57 of 57 Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Wazzup wazzup! Pagan party thread up: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1382682/pagan-families-may-we-celebrate-together#post_17346593

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page