The official 2013 Treasure Map thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is here, it is Treasure Map Time.   I think we have been doing them now here on MDC for 11 years.   Can you believe it?  And always one of the most popular threads I might add.  

Here are the basics for those who are  here for the first time. 

WHAT IS A TREASURE MAP? 

A treasure map is a collage made of photos, magazines pictures, words, pieces of things that make sense to you...whatever you want and you put them on a foam core board or just cardboard or just something strong that can handle the collage...you put them all together so you can look at it...it will be a MAP of what you want for the coming year.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "what do I want for the coming year?"

Exactly what it says. Do you want a new house, a new living room, better health, stronger marriage, reconnect with people, a bigger family, a bigger community? Do you want to write your book? Do you want a new car? What is it you want?

Do you even know what you want? If you are like many of us, you are so busy running around, taking care of everyone else that you might not have a fig of an idea what you want for your new year...that is the beauty of this process...you must sit down and figure it out...give yourself this time to do it. Be just that selfish and dare to dream.

Why do we do it now and not January?

Treasure Maps are made during the Aries new moon. Aries new moon change from year to year and this year, it will take place on April 10 5:35am.   

They are made on Aries new moon, because that is the first sign of the zodiac. Aries is when you plant your seeds. It is the real beginning of the New Year. It should not be confused with the first day of spring, which was on March 20. New moon means the sun and moon are in the same degree. For those who don't know much about astrology (which is totally okay) Aries is the sign of SIGHT. So, that's why it is so important to have pictures of what you want. You need to visualize it. Or if you don't do photos/pictures.. Put up words. It is just important for you to SEE THEM.

So, I'm going to be busy on April 10 can I start it before the 10th?

NO. 

Do I have to buy a bunch of magazines, I'm broke, can I just borrow some old ones from friends

Personally, when I started my treasure maps I always did them with fresh new magazines. And in the old days, (not married, no children) I spent a lot of dough on them because I wanted lots of choices. But with time, I ended up only getting a few magazines. I never borrowed magazines from friends however I know that there are people who did it in previous years and I think they were happy with their results. So, it really is your call. But if you do borrow them make sure they are put away until April 10th so they are fresh to you on that date.

What if I don't want magazine photos, can I just use my own pictures.. like my husband, my baby etc?

Sure. I usually scanned or color xeroxed them so that I would not wreck my originals. 

You can also paint what you want. Again it is your call.

Do I only focus on things?

Heck no! I would also encourage you to focus on beliefs and environments. Affirmations like “I’m abundant” or “I am always feeling loved” “My health is vibrant.” “My partner and I are always growing closer.” 

Is there any pattern I have to use when I put the photos or the words on my board? 

No you can do it anyway you want. 

I will say that in previous years my friends and I used to use the feng shui baguas for my pattern. Basically I would break up the board into 9 areas. A grid like this:

1-abundance
2-fame/reputation
3-relationship
4-family
5-health
6-creativity
7-self-knowledge (and travel)
8-work
9-helpful people and angels.

If you use the feng shui baguas, you will naturally cover most all areas of your life..as you can see it is all represented there. But again, you don’t have to do it that way.  Some people have even made round boards.  

Can I build a cyber map?

Many mappers are more comfortable with cyber maps, that are always there on their computer.

And they have had success.   Again, it is your call, do what your heart calls you to do. 

How much time do I have to build my map? 

Ideally you should build your map during the new phase of Aries new moon which would take you from the April 10 until April 14.  But if you need more time, you can give yourself up until Full Moon (April 25 3:57pm)   I encourage people to do it in the beginning but I don’t want people to be pressured so if you need the whole waxing moon you can use it.  

Do I have to do it alone or can I do it with friends?

You can do it either way. I build mine with my 2 other friends. We are like family and it felt so right to do it with them. We started them together. I know that there are several people who have little parties where they invite those close to them over. I will say this, it is a lot of fun to do them with others--..we would all pass around the magazines.. "Hey, I found a great beach bungalow does anyone need a beach vacation? Or it would be, "I have got to lose 10 pounds, any ideas what I should put on my map?" and low and behold someone will come up with a good suggestion.

Do i have to finish it all at one sitting?

No. Often I used to cut my stuff out with my friends. Maybe glue a little thing here or there and then take it home and finish it over the course of a day or two. 

Can my kids do it with me?

Yes! It is great for them to focus and think about what they want. Have them build their own maps. They also might give you their thoughts about what they think you should have in your life. Helps them to think beyond them, right?

Does it work?

Yep. 

Okay. I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but I’m just not interested in building a collage, can I do something else?

Sure you can take a nice piece of orange paper and write down wishes or affirmations during Treasure Map time. My wishes can sometimes feel like prayers and they are much broader in my desires. But I will say this, I felt like I needed to switch to 'less is more' after several years of mapping. So, I had a lot under my belt. I would encourage newcomers to make the actual maps. But if you really don't feel the call then just write your desires down. I like orange paper. So, vibrant. So Aries. 

Is it ok to have things continue over to the next year? Long-term, ongoing stuff that has progressed but needs to continue to progress?

Yes. Of course. But with a small caveat. My experience after doing these for years is that when something really takes time and doesn't gel in the first year then there is something still not right yet. It might be something you are aware of...like one cyber friend shifted from her map from year one to year two by focusing on less things. That kind of energy is really important. What I mean.. is it is NOT important to put up less. It is important for you on the following year's map to go into your gut and say what do I REALLY WANT. 

You may need to shift something about your long range goals. My sense is that they need a wee bit refining or broadening. Just a thought. But definitely don't give up on the dream.

Good luck and dream big!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

What should I do with last years map? Last year was my first year mapping.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

There is no rule on old maps. It is your call.   The first couple of years I put them away in the closet.  Peeking at them now and then.  Then one year I decided to get rid of them but before i did I cut out a couple of images that still spoke to me. I took those images and put them in a ziplock bag.  Why? I don't know.  I just felt compelled to do it.   Some people burn their old maps some people just throw them out others hang on...it is your call.   

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Anybody have resources for going digital with the Treasure Map? I'm all excited about this year and just went through a bunch of magazine and didn't pull out one page. Plus, I'm a pretty concrete person and really want to use "real" pictures of my family, our home, etc. Do digital TMer's just use google images? I guess I'm just looking for some inspiration and a starting point. I've always done magazine photos in the past. 

Thanks! 

Walking the slow & steady path to crunchy with my all granola kiddo and not at all crunchy husband.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapa View Post

Anybody have resources for going digital with the Treasure Map? I'm all excited about this year and just went through a bunch of magazine and didn't pull out one page. Plus, I'm a pretty concrete person and really want to use "real" pictures of my family, our home, etc. Do digital TMer's just use google images? I guess I'm just looking for some inspiration and a starting point. I've always done magazine photos in the past. 

Thanks! 

How about this one? http://www.visionboard.no/en/index.html

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM

Thank you kivi! That is helpful.

Walking the slow & steady path to crunchy with my all granola kiddo and not at all crunchy husband.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm working on mine now..I'm using Pinterest this year. I created an account just for TM.

http://pinterest.com/textbook56/boards/

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post

I'm working on mine now..I'm using Pinterest this year. I created an account just for TM.

http://pinterest.com/textbook56/boards/

It gives a 404. Is it private? Please tell how you are doing this...my man wants to maybe do his online and he is on Pinterest, but he is new to it and gets overwhelmed easily. How do you do yours? Did you mean "account" or "board"?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

It gives a 404. Is it private? Please tell how you are doing this...my man wants to maybe do his online and he is on Pinterest, but he is new to it and gets overwhelmed easily. How do you do yours? Did you mean "account" or "board"?

Really? When I click on it, it works. Hrrrm. I started a whole new account, separate from my main/personal account. I have it separated into boards named for the baguas. Let me know if you can click on it yet...sometimes Pinterest gives 404s for no reason.

K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Really? When I click on it, it works. Hrrrm. I started a whole new account, separate from my main/personal account. I have it separated into boards named for the baguas. Let me know if you can click on it yet...sometimes Pinterest gives 404s for no reason.

Nope, not yet. I will keep trying. I will also tell him what you said. Thanks!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM

inkslinger, Where are you finding the images you are pinning? Is it ok if I follow your boards? I don't want to follow if you would rather I not. 

Thank you! 

Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapa View Post

inkslinger, Where are you finding the images you are pinning? Is it ok if I follow your boards? I don't want to follow if you would rather I not. 

Thank you! 

Yes, go ahead! 

I've just been browsing and finding images that I like, which usually lead to other images I want to add.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, go ahead! 

I've just been browsing and finding images that I like, which usually lead to other images I want to add.

Still getting a 404 greensad.gif

My man can't figure out Pinterest. He is SO computer savvy that this is blowing my mind and I don't have patience for it...he does this so much. He can't figure out simple things to save his life. Gah angry.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Got a lot of done on my map today, but I'll need to go out to get a few more magazines. I'm sitting with my daughter who's six and woeking on it now: not sure she gets it 100% but she's having fun. My partner might even be in this time! Yay!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM

In past years I did a digital map; sometimes all in one, sometimes separate for eg relationships or abundance. I googled keywords and picked images that called me. A couple examples I also used some pictures of my own

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/devaskyla/media/treasure%20map/relationships.jpg.html?sort=6&o=5

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/devaskyla/media/treasure%20map/treasuremap.jpg.html?sort=6&o=3

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/devaskyla/media/treasure%20map/family-health.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1

I'm feeling like doing a physical map this year, though

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post

In past years I did a digital map; sometimes all in one, sometimes separate for eg relationships or abundance. I googled keywords and picked images that called me. A couple examples I also used some pictures of my own

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/devaskyla/media/treasure%20map/relationships.jpg.html?sort=6&o=5

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/devaskyla/media/treasure%20map/treasuremap.jpg.html?sort=6&o=3

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/devaskyla/media/treasure%20map/family-health.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1

I'm feeling like doing a physical map this year, though

Those are really cool-- I have never done a digital map. What was the process? I will try to pass that on to my man, how to do it.

When you wrote "I love my new home", did you have a new home yet, or were you then hoping for one?

Because my house has been on the market for 3+ years, and the price is comparable or lower, there is nothing wrong with the home, and yet....I dunno. I am barely getting showings, let alone bites. Nobody will come look for weeks and weeks.

Maybe the Universe is interpreting me wrong, somehow? Maybe instead of putting things like "Sell the house" I need to focus more on acquiring a new home?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm feeling the need to get messy with this TM. I'm not sure what that will entail but I'm sure the results will be colourful. I can wait to go pick up supplies!

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM

I have been so excited about starting my map, but I actually didn't really feel it last night (I am in the southern hemisphere). So I browsed the magazines I had bought, but didn't find many images that really spoke to me. It is weird, last year I found many,many images, had trouble deciding which ones to not use. This time, from about 10 magazines I got about 4 images! I am feeling this year's map will have less material "stuff" on it, and more about lifestyle and non tangible stuff.

Although I didn't find many images for my map I have been feeling really relaxed and happy for a couple of days. It feels like this year will be really good.

I am looking forward to going through the magazines again today, with fresh eyes.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM

inkslinger! Pinterest is such a great idea... I bought a ton of magazines on my lunch break today and only a handful of words inspired me - and ZERO images I just realized... looks like I'll be joining the Pinterest gang! :-) Thank you for the idea

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View PostI'm feeling the need to get messy with this TM. I'm not sure what that will entail but I'm sure the results will be colourful. I can wait to go pick up supplies!

Me too, maybe! After like 30-odd years of my muse going on vacation, I think she's back....tentatively sticking her toe in the water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumblossom View PostAlthough I didn't find many images for my map I have been feeling really relaxed and happy for a couple of days. It feels like this year will be really good.

I am looking forward to going through the magazines again today, with fresh eyes.

I am cutting and cutting out stuff as it strikes me, but at this point, I have no idea what it is yet that I cut out lol.gif I think there are a lot of words, though, and less images...which is probably OK, since I may paint the background. Or mixed-media the background. See above winky.gif Time will tell.

I have to get a job this year. I haven't much idea of what I want to do, or what is available...I haven't worked since 1999. I don't want to work for money, but I have to. I wonder how to word that on the map?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Hola Tm'ers!!!  I did this on my own last year, but I missed the group excitement, so here I am!! I've been cruising google images for pics and inspiration this morning (Aussie here, so I'm ahead of ya lol)  I'm off to the shops with my 3 boys to pick up some supplies :D  so later today I'll be into it, but my mind is already churning out ideas.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing - a busy busy day for me, don't know if I'll get to TMing tonight, though I really want to.

I used to go shop for supplies first thing, but now I'm going to start with a quiet meditation -then maybe some online searching/pinteresting.  I will wait till I am clearer on what I want and maybe do something physical with my ideas this weekend.

My dd and I attended a high school open house last night as we plan her courses for next year.   She told me that she was up at 4: 45 am (about an hour after the start of TM time here)  imagining herself in the  the room that the sewing class is held in.  She wasn't previously considering signing up for any sewing/clothing design options.  I told her to run with that idea, and any other impulses she has today!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Hi everyone! Happy Treasure Mapping Day! :) I have a question....we have an upcoming court case we need to win, do you think that would go best in the abundance section of my map? I just cant get a feel for where I want it...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM

Mine's done!!! Can you believe it? No motivation to do it last year and this year I feel like I'm on fire.... Now time for sleep.

Hope you're all enjoying the day! xo

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

so my map this year is soooo different. all my 'maps' have been completely different. i'm still keeping the 9 areas this year but i am putting them in my priority. 

this year my map is going to be a journal. a nice journal. i have spent HOURS on it. any free time and its been spent on my 'map'. 

i've completed maybe 2 pages (both need a little tweaking). instead of cutting out and sticking pictures i am actually drawing them. i found a GREAT image for abundance online that i cant wait to draw. i have 6 more to go. might end up doing a collage/draw. i want to finish planning and getting the images i want and then taking the whole maybe month to actually draw them. 

i have discovered i need to draw them (heck put my art classes to the challenge) to keep the focus of my emotions. that's just me. did the same last year too. and it was a very powerful moving experience. 

i am the type who does it and then forgets the map. i kinda dont look at it again. i sorta never have. i may take a peak once in a while but i never have it displayed to have the desire to look at it every day. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM

I put the paint down. Once I started it just flowed. I am not a visually crafty person. I don't think I've played with paints since I was 8 or 9.
I feel really good about my map, at peace with the process.
I only picked up one magazine. I usually get 6 or so. I don't know if I'll use pictures yet.
I won't get the opportunity to map tomorrow at all. If how we spend our first few days of this new moon is a reflection of the year to come I'm in for some intensity, both highs and lows.

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (9 years old)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 AM

Oh my... I mentioned in the prepping thread that I had ended a relationship a few weeks ago and that he's coming to visit; well I was feeling okay about the breakup until just a few hours before the new moon I suddenly wanted him back like nothing I'd felt before... I felt heartbroken, lost, and had this very vivid dream of me birthing unassisted into his hands around 2am yesterday (the 10th)... suddenly I miss him and feel I could fall in love all over again when just last week I was reassuring myself that I did the right thing by moving on. How can I go from cold to hot so quickly?! While working on my map most of it turned out to have a wedding and pregnancy on it - pretty boldly. Just a few weeks ago I had NO desire for either of those.

So tonight I asked him to call and we talked for 2 hours. Some stuff was cleared but a lot was of how hurt and angry he was about how I ended it so out of the blue (it really was). I honestly don't know what came over me. We were already planning a wedding and TTC next year, but WHY my sudden change of heart last month? He called me a cyclone of emotion and it's true... I feel awful and relieved all at once.

I hope I find clarity this year. The map is pretty straight forward and I actually feel more clear headed than I've felt for months!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

so my map this year is soooo different. all my 'maps' have been completely different. i'm still keeping the 9 areas this year but i am putting them in my priority. 

this year my map is going to be a journal. a nice journal. i have spent HOURS on it. any free time and its been spent on my 'map'. 

i've completed maybe 2 pages (both need a little tweaking). instead of cutting out and sticking pictures i am actually drawing them. i found a GREAT image for abundance online that i cant wait to draw. i have 6 more to go. might end up doing a collage/draw. i want to finish planning and getting the images i want and then taking the whole maybe month to actually draw them. 

i have discovered i need to draw them (heck put my art classes to the challenge) to keep the focus of my emotions. that's just me. did the same last year too. and it was a very powerful moving experience. 

i am the type who does it and then forgets the map. i kinda dont look at it again. i sorta never have. i may take a peak once in a while but i never have it displayed to have the desire to look at it every day. 

that sounds SO cool!  I usually hang my map on the inside of my closet door :D  that way I see it on a regular basis, but it's still relatively private.  I've picked up a magazine or two... but I've found a ton of pictures online that I've saved to my desktop :D   Mine is going to be sort of a book this year as well... accordion folded style so I can stand it up on my dresser I think.  

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 AM

My new map is going slow. Not sure why exactly. I lit the candle, had the soft music going but wasn't feeling it yet. Maybe tonight?redface.gif

I did do great on the prep work but burning the old map was hard this year. It had been both pretty and powerful for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM

I started my map last night, still not sure how I am going to organize/display it.  So far I printed out some pictures, I think they look pretty boring though, being in black & white, I am thinking of drawing the images that really call to me.  I also wrote down some affirmations.

User Tag List