Any Heathen Mamas or Mamas to be out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for other Heathen Mamas or Mamas to be out there. Would love to hear about how you have incorporated Heathenism into raising children, how to deal with pesky relatives that expect you to baptize your baby, naming ceremonies and anything else related!

#2 of 10 Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

What exactly is a heathen mama? I think I might be one. Please explain and I think it will help others reply to your post too.

#3 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi tracyamber! Thanks for the reply! :)

Heathen refers to those who practice a Northern spirituality path, i.e. work with the Norse, Germanic and Anglo-Saxon pantheons, sometimes with Celtic mixed in (as historically there was a lot of intermingling between the Norse and the Celts). Some may know it as Asatru, although many Heathens, like myself don't consider themselves Asatru. It is also more of a reconstructionist way of looking at spirituality although not all Heathens are recons (I don't consider myself a recon).

Does that help?

Edited to add that I am also looking to hear from any other Pagans that have had to deal with baptism issue.

#4 of 10 Old 06-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a Heathenish mama. My primary deities span a variety of cultures. But in terms of practice and lifestyle, I prefer Heathenry.

Also, I've dealt with baptism as a Pagan.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#5 of 10 Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM

I'm on the heathen spectrum.  ;)  Not quite all the way there (non-folkish, for example - or is that just Asatru?) but I incorporate a lot of heathen concepts in my spirituality.  I am officially "just" a Pagan though.  We have an eternal struggle with my mother, who is Catholic... eh.  Yeah, the baptism topic has reared its head too.  Oh well, we already had a Pagan naming ceremony for all three of our kids now, so yeah...

#6 of 10 Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM

We are also heathen spectrum. DH and I are mystics, which basically spans all beliefs. I'm still pregnant so haven't had to deal with that much besides my mom announcing that my brother and SIL are going to be Jaya's (LO) god parents, she is going to get baptised at the church my whole family sans us share, and is going to go to Sunday school there. I didn't respond since I heard this through the grape-vine, but my reaction was "unless you kidnap my child that's not happening."

I don't mind her learning about different religions, because it's all the same to me anyways. However, I don't think that it's appropriate for a person other than the parents to teach dogma to a small child. Kids are too literal to understand that "Jesus being the only way" is just a belief stucture and not be confused as to why there are "other ways" if Christianity is the only one? I remember this confusing the crap out of me when I was a kid. I asked my pastor why there were different religions if only one was correct. I'm pretty sure I got some shotty answer like "they just don't know any better." Or some garbage. 

But then again, maybe I shouldn't care considering that baptism is "heathen" anyways, stemming from a Babylonian belief that the properties of water will wash away evil spirits  "Sure I don't mind if you practice a Pagan rite of passage that was later adopted to be judeo-christian with my daughter." :pictures my mother's face  ---dizzy.gif---- and cackles:

#7 of 10 Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM

I'm not a Heathen but I am a Pagan. Have you checked out the monthly Pagan thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1384440/june-pagan-family-circle?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#8 of 10 Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Thanks for the explanation..... I think I am all mixed up with many forms of thought. Good luck and it looks like people are out there responding to your thread!!!!

#9 of 10 Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Definitely come join our pagan thread!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 10 Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses everyone!( I didn't even know they were here even though I have my settings set to an immediate notification - can anyone help with that technical issue?)

Wolfcat and Tiqa -  am interested in your experiences in dealing with the baptism issue.

My mom is Catholic and so is DH's family. I am sure they assume that our babe will be baptized, but I am not letting that happen. A friend of mine who reads the cards and does very accurate readings said that this was going to become a big issue between me and my mom. My thought was to explain that I have no issue with the babe being interested in other religions and if s/he wants to s/he can even attend church with my mom as she gets older. it is just I want to give her/him the chance to learn about all kinds of choices before "formally" becoming part of that religion and like Inconditus says I don't think it is appropriate for people other than parents to teach their child their own practices . But I am not sure that will be enough for my mom. Our relationship was in a bad way for years after DH and I decided not to get married in the church (not that we were going to, but she wanted it so) and we are now in a good place again and I really am worried about the baptism thing becoming a big deal again and maybe it needs to be.

The other part of this conundrum is that I would like to have a naming ceremony for the child. One more private that we do ourselves and another "public"  one that we can invite family and friends to. Has anyone done this before (Tiqa I see that you have!)? If so, can you tell me about it? I'd like to get some ideas.

Thanks for inviting me to the Pagan Thread, I will definitely check it out. I briefly looked at it when I found the spirituality section but I wasn't sure how it worked and wasn't sure how to jump in! 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page