Anti-church, liberal Christians? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was raised Lutheran but never fit in. I believe in Jesus as my saviour and the NT, and all of His preachings. Beyond that, I'm not sure that I buy any of what modern day Christianity says. It's all an institution, so far from Jesus' principles. Although I don't want to try any more churches, I wish to meet others to communicate with, share Bible studies/thoughts, gather w/our children, etc. I don't even know what to look for, there's so many groups out there. Does anyone have a name for this I could search? Does anyone share these beliefs...I can't be alone in this! Every 'group' I find while searching online ends up the same...out for $ or preaching just one aspect, or even worse, critisizing everyone that doesn't share their beliefs. Where do I fit in???

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#2 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I hate to be the one to say this but, "anti church Christian" is contradictory to me.
The church is the body of Christ, also referred to as the bride of Christ. So, to be anti church would insinuate, anti Christ, IMO.

I kinda get what you're saying, but there's gotta be a better way to word it.

How about anti religion? That resignates with me. I don't care for religion either. Just back to the basics, teachings based on the Word.
I guess you would fit with "non denominational" Christians
Backroads likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 13 Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you tried a UU church?  

Is it the big building and church government and hierarchy that is most problematic?  I know some people want a simpler type of thing, and I knew a group that met in a local park on Sundays.  You could possibly start something like that and see if you get any takers.  We have a local church that started small and was just people meeting in people's living rooms, but it's grown to be much larger.  But I often feel that these groups are more conservative, although I don't think they have to be.

#4 of 13 Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

I hate to be the one to say this but, "anti church Christian" is contradictory to me.
The church is the body of Christ, also referred to as the bride of Christ. So, to be anti church would insinuate, anti Christ, IMO.

I kinda get what you're saying, but there's gotta be a better way to word it.

How about anti religion? That resignates with me. I don't care for religion either. Just back to the basics, teachings based on the Word.
I guess you would fit with "non denominational" Christians

No,  non-denominational Christian is not what I'm looking for, they're everywhere. "anti-physical church" I guess is what I mean, does that make more sense? Most people today equate church w/the building, I'm looking for those that don't need that. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Have you tried a UU church?  

Is it the big building and church government and hierarchy that is most problematic?  I know some people want a simpler type of thing, and I knew a group that met in a local park on Sundays.  You could possibly start something like that and see if you get any takers.  We have a local church that started small and was just people meeting in people's living rooms, but it's grown to be much larger.  But I often feel that these groups are more conservative, although I don't think they have to be.

Yes, the government/hierarchy is what gets me. Also the forced tithing and rules. I don't know what UU church is.

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#5 of 13 Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quaker (Religious Society of Friends)? While they have meeting houses, they purposefully keep them small and plain. They also tend to be pretty open theologically.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#6 of 13 Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Check out Frank Viola's books. I think that it is called reimaging church? I think it might be what you are looking for

#7 of 13 Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM

I could have written your OP word for word... Except I was raised UPCI and excommunicated when I was 23 yo...
#8 of 13 Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Oh, UU church is Universalist Unitarian...or the other way around.  It's still a church, but it's not specifically Christian, which I realize is the opposite of what you are talking about.  Here is a little blurb from their website: 

Quote:

Welcome to Unitarian Universalism, a religion that celebrates diversity of belief and is guided by seven principles. Our congregations are places where we gather to nurture our spirits and put our faith into action through social justice work in our communities and the wider world.

Newcomers are always welcome in Unitarian Universalist congregations. There is no formal conversion process, so becoming a Unitarian Universalist is simply a matter of self-identification. Membership is voluntary and does not require renouncing other religious affiliations or practices.

I am not sure which churches force you to tithe, although I have heard of this concept.  I'm a Presbyterian, and we don't have that.  We like for people to tithe, of course, and we have the stewardship drive every year where people make a pledge, but even then it's voluntary. I've heard a lot of talk over the year of tithing being divided between other charitable donations too, and I don't specifically tithe, although I do regular donations to the church.  I get a lot out of it.

I actually like church because I like the sense of community, of people coming together to participate in something beyond themselves and their families.  It's hard when you are living in an area where you don't have your old system of friends and family, and you try to meet new people, but everyone is so compartmentalized in their own world. So I guess I like that when people join a church, they are making a commitment of serving in some way, talent, time, money, what have you. I feel like a lot of my friends and social life are from my church now.

I like that the church has good programs that help people locally, nationally and globally.  I like that people in my church come together every week to prepare and serve food for the underfed and homeless in our streets.  This actually isn't a specific program of our church, but a number of people in my city have come together, many from faith-based programs, to perform this service.  A woman from my church felt called to this work, and it's something she does every week, to the point she's bought a trailer so she can carry everything needed, including hundreds of bottles of water and bags of snacks that she gives when they run out of hot food to serve.  Every six months they do hair cuts, nail grooming and other things of that ilk with volunteer stylists.  The church as a community center, place of worship, gathering center, etc. can be very useful, and can help provide support for a lot of things.  

I am almost on the other side, because I like church, but I don't like the dogma/a lot of the beliefs I feel I'm supposed to have.  So I should probably switch to a UU church, but I also feel a connection to the church in which I was raised. I also admit that I don't like some of the politics of church, but it seems inevitable when a large group of people with kind of diverse beliefs come together. But I can understand just wanting the spiritual side of things without all the other stuff too.

LittlePlumHill likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM

Your post reminds me of myself a bit. I grew up strict born again Christian home, lived in a little bubble so to speak. Now fast forward years later, I struggled a long time with Christian guilt and thinking everything I did would make God sad, etc. I was interested in reading about Buddhism or philosophies or yoga but always was scared I would make God angry. I finally started to get over it by going to a meditation class teaching about angels. I still consider myself Christian but don't like the church, or any church like environment, I looked into UU but its still a church service, I am not looking for that type atmosphere.
Viola and Oldoak like this.
#10 of 13 Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Check out Frank Viola's books. I think that it is called reimaging church? I think it might be what you are looking for

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakiks View Post

Your post reminds me of myself a bit. I grew up strict born again Christian home, lived in a little bubble so to speak. Now fast forward years later, I struggled a long time with Christian guilt and thinking everything I did would make God sad, etc. I was interested in reading about Buddhism or philosophies or yoga but always was scared I would make God angry. I finally started to get over it by going to a meditation class teaching about angels. I still consider myself Christian but don't like the church, or any church like environment, I looked into UU but its still a church service, I am not looking for that type atmosphere.

Yes, I wish there was some home-based/community based setting for just learning and praising...more learning I guess now that my son's getting older.

Viola- sounds like you have a nice environment in your church.

I looked into the UU church in my area, still thinking of going. Though they say kids are welcome during services they have their own classes to attend which I hate. I'd rather have them w/me w/o feeling out of place. Wishing I didn't feel so isolated in my thinking of this, thanks for the feedback, makes me feel better!

#11 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Sounds like you simply don't like organized religion and titles!

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#12 of 13 Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Alright, from what I gather, you want a theologically liberal Home Church environment that doesn't enforce tithing. That sounds awesome! It's one of those things you may have to start a meetup group to get. I have found that you could probably find progressive Christians in your area by going to Progressive Christianity. They are great. They have a wonderful children's curriculum called A Joyful Path that can be done in a church setting or at home. If you went in with a couple of other families it wouldn't cost so much and the class is for the entire church year, I think 32 weeks or something like that. I have rediscovered my love for Christ through Progressive Christianity and also through my experience with the Unitarian Universalist church. As far as UU is concerned, I don't know if you will find a God centered church, but please let us know if you do. The congregations in the UUA that I know to be God centered are mostly concentrated in New England, King's Chapel being the most famous. They have their own book of common prayer. Think high church, but a Unitarian Christian church (no Trinity). Very theologically open and welcoming. Outside of New England, the churches do tend to be less focused on God. Many are Atheist and I know some folks who have had bad experiences being Christian in a UU church so please proceed with caution. I go to a church with 4 denominations as an ecumenical church, but I align myself with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) because of their creed is none but Christ so you can have an open theology and be in the church. Some churches have narrowed focus, but my experience with them has been overall positive. I hope you find what you're looking for. If you were closer to me I certainly would love to have church with you at home. Best of luck!! orngbiggrin.gif

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#13 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 AM

I would recommend you to watch a documentary on either Netflix or youtube called Kumare

here is a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUzG6YKuvo

It is a funny story of a guy who is your regular young and typical American in many ways except that he grew up

in the Indian background here in the US and he is tired of gurus and teachings.. and he decides to fake a guru figure

himself, goes to Arizona or something and starts his own group. People follow him fast, he is really good at imitating

and making stuff up and then he explores the whole process of faith, faithful and leaders.

It is pretty amazing to the point of his revelation to his students that he is a fake.

To some it is disgusting and they walk away angry, to others it is revealing as they discover that they do not need

a guru to connect with divine and to a viewer there is a lot to ponder.. the rules, the smoke the customs and the

whole path.

I know that it might sound off topic to your question but in reality it might help you to find your own way to find

a divine. I feel that you are looking for a group while you might not need one as apparently it appears that

many people believe that it is only through a grup experience that they might connect with GOD but

in reality it might be possible to do it directly. It is sure more difficult as one has to find a way and courage

but whatever the result, it might be interesting to see the movie to get a broader view on spirituality in general.

That movie was surprisingly enriching. And it gives tons of perspective on ANY organized religion, be it big or small.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page