Any Buddhist moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During pregnancy I became drawn to Buddhism because of my dreams and a family superstition about reincarnation. Now I really want to study it. And moms here buddhist?
#2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering dirtismylove! I wanted to bump your post up because it looks like it might have been missed. Any Buddhist mamas here?

On a related note, have you read any of Susan Piver's books? She is a Buddhist and I've read a few of her books.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM

There used to be a Buddhism thread here, but over time it has been buried because no one posts in it anymore. I think I was the last person who posted in it, back in October, when I officially took refuge as a Buddhist. But I don't think there are any active Buddhist posters any more. greensad.gif

One of my favorite Buddhist books is "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche. There are several branches of Buddhism, this book is written by a monk from one of the Tibetan traditions. I appreciate the effort he puts into explaining the philosophies in a context Westerners can understand.
#4 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

There used to be a Buddhism thread here, but over time it has been buried because no one posts in it anymore. I think I was the last person who posted in it, back in October, when I officially took refuge as a Buddhist. But I don't think there are any active Buddhist posters any more. greensad.gif

One of my favorite Buddhist books is "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche. There are several branches of Buddhism, this book is written by a monk from one of the Tibetan traditions. I appreciate the effort he puts into explaining the philosophies in a context Westerners can understand.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what finally brought you to taking refuge? It's a huge step that I thought about taking, but I realized that like any other religion, there were some issues that prevented me from fully doing so. There are a few Buddhist groups close to me, but I was looking at the teaching of my closest temple. While they are based in China, they have a goal of bringing Buddhism to the West, and as such try to find a way to melding longstanding traditional teaching into a progressive world. In addition to that, they also try to make it palatable to those who were born in the West.

Anyway, I was just curious about your experience. smile.gif
#5 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Heket, I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian church, but was already starting to move away from my parents' beliefs even in my teen years. I was very attracted to paganism and Wicca for many years, but those belief systems lack theology and cultural background that older religions have.

I was first introduced to Buddhism about 10 years ago when I decided to learn to meditate and found a local meditation group led by a Zen monk. I heard some dharma teachings there, but got much more out of the meditation itself. But over time I stopped going and later found that the monk had passed away and the group disbanded.

But a seed had been planted in me, and I was interested in Buddhism. I started meditating at a Thai (theravada) temple that was open to the public, and that is where I officially took refuge. I feel calm and centered when meditating, and I like the Buddhist philosophies and outlook on the world. And Buddhism has stood the test of time - it offers a rich cultural history and theology.

I still meditate at the Thai temple at times, but recently I've been going to services at a Kadampa temple. Kadampa is one of the Tibetan traditions, but it is currently more geared toward westerners than any other tradition, (except maybe Zen, which has a strong foothold in the West). With Kadampa, I like that the teachings, writings, and even chants are in English. It makes the tradition very accessable to native English speakers.

So I guess I haven't chosen a specific path yet, but I see spirituality as a journey that lasts many lifetimes. It is harder to convert to a religion you were not raised in than to just follow what you were always taught. It takes a lot of soul searching to learn what path best fits you.
heket likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 AM

Thank you for sharing. I am not able to get to Buddhism classes, so it's nice to still be able to hear and connect with others. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page