Christian Working Mama's - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies! Just wondering what are some of the struggles of the Christian Working Mama and are they different from secular Working Mama's?

As a Christian Working Mama myself, I find my struggles slightly different that other mama's. An example is finding time to Bible study individually or as a family or putting yourself on top of the priority list but staying humble. Just some of my thoughts. What do you ladies think?

#2 of 6 Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 PM

I'm a Christian WAHM mama, and I often feel like my days are very different from the SAHM mamas in our community. It *is* really hard to find time for, well, work TBH LOL let alone Bible time. I find it most helpful when my husband takes the lead on that - he's incorporated Bible reading as a family into our nighttime ritual, which I really feel relieves me of the burden if I'm jus not fitting it in in other parts of my day. Also, I'm working on the catechism with my little girl, and I feel like that benefits me, too, ya know?

But overall, it's just plain hard, and if I'm being honest with myself and you I just want to be a mama and not working on anything other than our home and family!

#3 of 6 Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM

I'm a Catholic working mama.  I try to start my days with just a bit of meditation and prayer, but sometimes I oversleep a bit.  My husband and I commute together and the passenger always reads a book that relates to our spirituality.  I have found that even just taking a minute throughout the day to say a prayer is very beneficial or to pray as I walk around.  I also have an app on my phone with daily readings that I read everyday.  Some days are really busy and it is hard to do anything other than work or be a mom, but even a few minutes is better than nothing.

V + E=baby G in 2012.  Rural Midwestern homesteaders going back to their roots.

“A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.” -Paulo Coelho 

#4 of 6 Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I am a Christian (Episcopal) mama working full time.  Establishing religious practices WITH my child works a lot better for me than thinking of him as getting in the way of my spiritual time.  Every day when we leave the house (I walk him to school, then take transit to work) we sing "This Is the Day that the Lord Has Made" and it helps me remember that every day, even if imperfect, is a gift from God with something to offer me.  Every night after bedtime story, I read him Forward Day by Day and we might talk about it a little, and then we say a prayer together.

At times I've been very successful at reminding myself to pray by keeping my prayer beads in my coat pocket so that when I'm walking and put my hands in my pockets, I feel the beads and remember to use them!  Even if I don't have time for the full cycle of prayers before I get where I'm going or need to talk with someone, it's better to do some prayers than none at all.

I keep a bit of Scripture in the corner of my bedroom mirror so that I see it when I'm fixing my hair in the morning, maybe reread it, at least think about it a little.  Here are 7 examples.

I now have 2 Peter 3:8 taped up next to my weekly to-do list: "Do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day."  It helps me keep my perspective on time management and remembering to spend my days with the Lord so he can help me work everything out!

I sometimes read religious blogs and other inspiration during my lunch hour.

Our church isn't currently doing this, but for 4 years we had a brief service followed by potluck dinner on a weeknight twice a month.  I made an effort to attend (with my family) as often as possible.  It was less work to make a dish for the potluck than to make dinner, we got to eat a wider variety of food than we had made, we got a mid-week spiritual boost including Communion, and we got to spend some time with our church family--all in the time we would normally spend making and eating dinner, so it was efficient and fulfilling!

Compared to a secular working mama, I'm not sure I have any greater struggles...if anything, I wonder how they get through the days without having God to lean on!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 6 Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I have just become a sahm almost a year and a half ago, I worked before that! My struggle with being a Christian and working mom was so much of what you read in the bible talks about mothers taking care of the home and children and all of my Christian friends are sahm's, so I felt I wasn't taking on my godly role! Other than that now that I am a stay at home mom, I'm still just as hard on myself lol and I still find it hard to make time for bible study! If anything do it less now bc I get so distracted or when I have a moment I get on the internet or do something mindless bc I'm so tired. 😕

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#6 of 6 Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Blog to share for Christian Working Mama's

My name is Liz Jones and I have a blog to share with you beautiful and amazing Christian Working Mama's. Please feel free to visit and share. My prayer is that you will find Encouragement, Perspective and Connection.

http://www.christianworkingmama.blogspot.com/

Liz Jones

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page