How does one plan a conservative Christian first birthday party? We don't celebrate most holidays... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hello all. I think this question goes here... b/c if I do plan a themed birthday party for my 1 year old, it will be Christian in-mind.

We don't really celebrate many of the holidays out there like Halloween, Valentines, ... and we are not good at celebrating Christmas either. That one is up in there air. But anyway, that is just a little background.

My baby's first birthday is coming up... right on Thanksgiving Day this year. And, we don't celebrate birthdays much... but, we will be with family and I want to do a first birthday party for my son who my family has yet to meet.

I want it to be unique... and giving. In other words, we are not asking for gifts. We didn't ask for baby shower gifts either... we never really had a registry when I was pregnant with either of my kids. That's just the way we are. But, we want the birthday celebration to be a benefit to others. Perhaps I could give "door prizes" away to the kids (all of varying ages 2 to 12, plus adults) that are spiritually uplifting or fun Christian-themed. Or perhaps I can ask them to bring a gift for another child to be donated since Christmas is coming. Or, perhaps I can make it a bible themed/educational party. Or, just make it a plain ol' lets-just-eat-together-catch-up-and-eat-cake.

I guess I am undecided b/c I haven't found anything that interests me in a standard birthday party that I want to do... and I need ideas for another kind of birthday party.

Also, we don't like to collect stuff... and birthday gifts might not be what we need...but at the same time I am against making a registry.

Hmmmm... what to do?

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I think that it is great that you don't want things/gifts. I would ask guest to make a donation. Or if you know of a food pantry you could have the guest bring food to give. (Some times people don't know where to give.)

Bible themed party could be fun. Since you don't celebrate Halloween it would be fun to dress-up. Have games for the kids. Just have a fun party. partytime.gifAs your child gets older it would make it something to look forward to. We don't "do" Halloween but we do other things that we look forward to. So when getting dressed-up comes up I can say XYZ is coming up and we will all get to celebrate.

I hope this helps alittle.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for the ideas! That's interesting about dressing up... *haha*  Not only bible characters, but perhaps they can dress up like the Pilgrims too. Well, I don't know that I would do that this year... but maybe another.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm in favor of your idea of "... make it a plain ol' lets-just-eat-together-catch-up-and-eat-cake."

After all it is Thanksgiving Day and your child will only be one year old.

Have everyone gather and sing "Happy Birthday" and ask the participants to speak their blessing or wish for your child. Then (if it's not against your religious principles) put a candle on a cake, cup-cake, or muffin or loaf of bread and help the b-day boy blow it out. Then relax & chat w/ your family.

In The Book of Common Prayer (USA, Episcopal) there special prayer given as a Thanksgiving for the birth of a child, which I have modified for you to to say  (changed them & their to our and us). You could lead off w/ this one before asking other people to speak (to break the ice, as it were).

"We give you thanks for the blessing you have bestowed upon this family in giving us a child. Confirm our joy by a lively sense of your presence with us, and give us calm strength and patient wisdom as we seek to bring this child to love all that is true and noble, just and pure, lovable and gracious, excellent and admirable, following the example of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. "

If you want to warn people not to bring gifts say "Please no gifts for the baby, but if you want to make a donation to a charity instead, that would be nice". Or, "no gifts for the baby, but if you want to bring something, bring some cans or other food we can gather it & bring it the food pantry on Friday..."

User Tag List