August Pagan Family Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Lammas/Lugnasadh!

John Barleycorn is dead! Long live John Barleycorn!

One day I will start a Pagan family thread without a Mary Oliver poem but not today! I can't help sharing one of my favorite Lammas poems:

Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith

by Mary Oliver

Every summer
I listen and look
under the sun’s brass and even
into the moonlight, but I can’t hear

anything, I can’t see anything —
not the pale roots digging down, nor the green stalks muscling up,
nor the leaves
deepening their damp pleats,

nor the tassels making,
nor the shucks, nor the cobs.
And still,
every day,

the leafy fields
grow taller and thicker —
green gowns lofting up in the night,
showered with silk.

And so, every summer,
I fail as a witness, seeing nothing —
I am deaf too
to the tick of the leaves,

the tapping of downwardness from the banyan feet —
all of it
happening
beyond any seeable proof, or hearable hum.

And, therefore, let the immeasurable come.
Let the unknowable touch the buckle of my spine.
Let the wind turn in the trees,
and the mystery hidden in the dirt

swing through the air.
How could I look at anything in this world
and tremble, and grip my hands over my heart?
What should I fear?

One morning
in the leafy green ocean
the honeycomb of the corn’s beautiful body
is sure to be there.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lamas blessings!  Mary Oliver is AOK with me :-)

Hope everyone has a good celebration.  As always of late, mine will be pretty abbreviated.  I'm pretty darned tired when evening rolls around and constantly hopping during the day.  G & R will be 10 months old in 2 days and they keep me on my toes :-)  

Pagan Soccer mom had a nice little candle blessing on her page today

https://www.facebook.com/ConfessionsofaPaganSoccerMom

and I'll probably do that, and just think of all that is fruitful in our lives right now.  I'm finally starting to see some movement on my Treasure Map.  In particular, our house, after a year (+ some) is finally under contract.  We are still waiting on the full inspection report, and are dealing with it needing a new roof. But the damage is from hail and will luckily be covered by insurance, less our deductible. This could be seen as suckage, since we are basically losing money on the house (going for a LOT less than we paid for it), AND will have to pay this deductible, but honestly, I'm just thankful that we will be free of this burden and can move forward with our lives here in TN. This is the only offer we have had so I am grateful for it.  Not having to pay the mortgage every month will put us in such a better place financially. Not to mention the worry of the house sitting there empty, and my mom always having to go over to look after it.  Thank you, Goddess!!!

I have to admit, when August rolls around, I'm SO already thinking of autumn.  Aug. just seems to drag for me.  Anyone else pining for fall?

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#3 of 20 Old 08-01-2013, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the August thread and the video revolting! Siddal I am always looking forward to fall, it's my favorite season juuuust above spring and winter, summer I could do with a bit less heat but I suppose the plants need to grow. Congratulations on the house being under contract. I imagine the burden is at least partially lifted.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#4 of 20 Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM

Happy Lammas/Lughnasadh/First Harvest to all of you! :)

I was terrible at celebrating this year. Lammas is usually the day I drag my husband out into the woods to go and pick wild berries. But being 8 months pregnant, the idea didn't seem too appealing. I still have some berries in the fridge from last year and I will probably make a fruit tart with them over the weekend. Although I *did* have a berry smoothie for breakfast yesterday, but I am not sure that counts! ;)

I also spent yesterday morning reading about Druidry. I identify as a Heathen, since I follow a more Northern path and those are the Gods near and dear to me, but I came to Paganism by way of Druidry but never really connected with the Celtic Gods, so I always kind of assumed that wasn't my path. It's like my way of doing things, my cosmology and way of seeing the world is very Druidic - I love trees, I feel a connectedness with all of nature - I am an animist and my Patron is God of the Hunt. So it was an interesting morning. Have long thought about joining ADF( A Druid Fellowship) http://www.adf.org/training/ and am considering it more seriously for the not too distant future!

OH and I am SOOOOOO pining for fall!

#5 of 20 Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 AM

That is interesting! My family lineage is Druid but some were also pagan. Thanks for sharing~!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#6 of 20 Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Wow, so you have Druid family lineage ? Very cool and amazing that it was passed down for all those generations.Beautiful!

#7 of 20 Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Yep, all those generations. We've done the same thing for thousands of years, every one of them has been as herbalist and healer. Sometimes I think that kind of stuff is in (collective) our D.N.A.

#8 of 20 Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM

Hi mamas! Blessed Lamas! Z and I made a milk &honey mixture and gave it to her favorite tree in our yard, our apple tree. We talked about how the tree reminds us of the seasons... that was abt it.

DHs hours at work got cut and while we are happy he is still employed we are really calling upon the universe/goddess for strength and guidance. Sunday i have a date with a paddleboard to get out with the elements and commune. Cannot wait. Much needed.

Siddal, i cannot believe G&R are 10 mos!!!!! Wow!

Thistlemoon: i think someone here is doing he ADF training... sounds really interesting.

revolting: i love your Mary Oliver beginnings. They are ever apptopriate. How are you feeling??

Iansmommaya: druid lineage that has remained intact is simply incredible. Wowza!

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#9 of 20 Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 AM

I love feeding the favorite tree, what a sweet thing!

#10 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Where is everyone??

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#11 of 20 Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 AM

I am here! I've been working a lot. I am re doing my shop. That is taking up most of my internet times.

#12 of 20 Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 AM

I'm here, but work has been crazy since the end of July (HUGE PROJECT) which needs to be completed, reviewed & submitted by Sept. 9th. UGH plus the ramp up for back to school with my youngest about to attend k4 this year!! 

No one is excited (yet) because schedules are changing, I'm hoping the kids will pitch in for making lunches and breakfasts in the morning otherwise cue the 3 ring circus.

jumpers.gif

Though I am looking for great cold lunch ideas for kids, my oldest loves PB & Nutella sandwiches and my youngest hates bread. Anyone have suggestions?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#13 of 20 Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM

Have you tried replacing bread with tortillas or leaf lettuce for lettuce wraps? Really good both ways.

#14 of 20 Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I'm here. I've had a lot else on my mind lately. We officially pulled my eldest from school and have started homeschooling. Right now, we just do dreambox, plan to start Bravewriter next week, and picking up an electronic class for science and an ukulele class for music and slowly add more after I settle with the new baby. On the baby front, my midwives and I disagree about my medical care. They want to risk me out if my hemoglobin fails to rise in the next month above a certain level, while I feel like my iron levels are okay for a pregnant person and it's no reason to risk me out of a homebirth, especially without more comprehensive bloodwork. I have started seriously considering an unattend birth: reading voraciously, signing up for a workshop on neonatal resuscitation, etc while also trying to get my hemoglobin count on top of all the other running around to get ready for the baby stuff I still have to do. My spiritual practice has really fallen to the wayside, but hopefully as the UU church revs back up after Labor Day I'll carve at least a little time.

Vy: That sucks about his job. How is your cloth diaper business going?

Thistle: How is that pregnancy going?

Siddal: Any update on the house?

Maia: You've dropped off MDC after moving! Come let us know how your new place is!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#15 of 20 Old 08-24-2013, 04:59 PM

I am here too, baby dropped last week and I am officially 37 weeks. So we are busy finishing last minute projects, doing a million errands and I am trying to stock the freezer with some post-birth foods to keep us going a bit before my mom gets here. wishing you all a healthy and happy end of August! xx

#16 of 20 Old 08-25-2013, 05:04 AM

I hope your iron goes up revolting, Thistle good to hear about your pregnancy too. Things here are good! I start school again in October. I am really excited! I also did a ton of de-crapifying the last couple of days.

The back yard still needs help, but such is life.

#17 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM

I hope this is allowed per MDC, I'm not trying to break any rules... But if any of you want to look in the Free for Shipping area of the Market I posted a large lot of Pagan related items.  Shipping would cost a bit but you can resale what you can't use.  Take a look if you feel like it.  :)

#18 of 20 Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Maia: You've dropped off MDC after moving! Come let us know how your new place is!

Didn't mean to! I think I accidentally unsubbed or didn't sub at all, or something. Is there a September thread yet? If so, send a link and I will sub! And then let y'all know how things are!

ian'smommaya likes this.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#19 of 20 Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Thanks tiqa! Afaik no September thread!

#20 of 20 Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 PM

There is now! http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1389240/september-pagan-families-falling-into-autumn

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page